New state, new team, same old Magnificent Maleficent Malceski?

Chicko - elite fantasy analystThe definition of maleficent is to cause harm. To do evil intentionally. Or to be capable of such acts – Malceski is all those wrapped up in an enigma in the world of fantasy football.

The bearded, tattooed and slightly eccentric cat Nick Malceski was magnificent in 2014. He had a career best season for the Swans dominating off the half back flank with his sublime left foot kicking skills. At the end of the year, the Magnificent Maleficent Malceski (I shall christen him with thy name Triple M) decided to take advantage of the free agency rules and packed his premiership winning boots and headed north for the balmy rays of the golden coast. Aged 29, Malceski must have thought the best way to avoid the early onset of arthritis was to get a bit more sun – and possibly one last opportunity to top up his pension account before packing it in for the beaches and balmy nights.

I have fond memories of the Gold Coast as a young whipper snapper and their signature late 80’s post cards with tanned topless nubile blondes under the banner of “too much sun, too much tit, that’s why I haven’t writ” – that is bloody poetry right there. Anyhow, I digress.

After having more knee reconstructions than you can remember, Triple M’s durability has been nothing short of sensational over the past 3 years, having played 19 games in 2012, all 22 games in 2013 and all 22 games in 2014. That is take it to the bank and sleep easy numbers right there. If that isn’t enough, Triple M’s scoring output in 2014 lifted 15 points per game, a beautiful 17% up from his 2013 year, to finish comfortably with a tonne plus average, and the top ranked defender for 2014. I’m also up 17% but south of my own border on his 2014 numbers.

So do we take Triple M and bank him in 2015 and see if he can replicate his 2014 scoring in our teams despite the change of teams? After pumping up his tyres with more hot air than a blimp, I’m not sure. Stick with me folks.

2015 Price: $566,600
2015 Position: DEF
Games last season: 22
Average last season: 105.41
100+ games last season: 15 (9 of which were 111 plus)
Sub 80 games last season: 1 (a 67 against the Hawks in R18 when the tagged him)
Price range last season: $477k to $563k
Missed games last season: A BIG FAT DONUT (also missed zero games in 2013)
Significant history: Ranked 1st in Total Kicks
Ranked 1st in Total Rebounds
Ranked 3rd in kicks per game
Ranked 4th in Rebound 50’s per game
Average of 23 disposals 4 marks per game in 2014, kicking 74% of the time
All Australian in 2014

CLICK HERE FOR ALL OF OUR SUPERCOACH 2015 PLAYER PREVIEWS

Triple M’s stats underscore the season he had in 2014 – ranked number 1 for total kicks – that is a stat to crack your thought process wide open (it surprised the pants off me). If that is not enough, Malceski was also ranked number 1 for total rebounds. Category killers for supercoach scoring – kicks and rebounds equals points, and a veritable smorgasbord of them. I haven’t seen that many points since the aforementioned 80’s and wandering the beach at Surfer’s Paradise as a teenager…..apologies, I again digress. The question is whether the Suns will use Triple M in the same way as the Swans, that is, as the designated kicker from full back, or the go to kicker coming out of the 50 with precise delivery by foot. Rocket has a couple of players in his squad that can fill that role, be it Trent McKenzie or Jarrod Habrow. Pre-season may reveal some of Rocket’s plans in this regard.

RISK FACTOR

There are a few risks from where I sit, his price has the potential for depreciation (meaning he buggers with your starting line-up given the budgetary constraints), driven by a potential changing role at a new club with a new coach, not to mention that Malceski will be 30 at the start of the 2015 season – which is entering the winter stages for supercoach scoring output. All these are unknowns, and it’s not the known unknowns which derail your season, it is the unknown unknowns which do. In short, there are risks which cannot be quantified.

SELECTION PURPOSE

If you start with Malceski, it would be as a keeper, given his likely starting price, you will have budgeted to squeeze him in. Paying $560k plus for a defender is big, which means you will have sacrificed elsewhere, so you would want him to be there in R23.

THE GOOD

• Durability – is outstanding having played all games in 2014 and 2013, and 19 games in 2012.
  • Kicking – kicks more than a Mexican mule with excellent disposal efficiency
  • Consistency – his last two seasons have been excellent averaging 105 in 2014, and 90 in 2013

THE DOWNSIDE

• Unknowns – it is simply the unknowns of changing teams, his role in the new team headed by a new coach (3 unknowns!)
  • Age – as we all know, once a player tips into the 30 year old age bracket, things start to go snap

THE VERDICT

I’m an out and out fan of Malceski, he was unbelievable for Chicko’s Chumps in 2014, but in this game, you can’t afford to look in the rear view mirror and reflect on fond memories. Our job as a supercoach is to look forward and make the dispassionate decisions to answer our fantasy dilemmas. Malceski was brilliant in 2014; I just don’t think he is worth the price in 2015 – that is my current state of mind.

Verdict – I am a 20 / 80 no at this stage, I suspect his price coupled with the uncertainty on his role at a new team means the Chumps will avoid Malceski in 2015.

A 20 / 80 NO

What’s your view on maleficent Malceski for 2015?

Cheers

Chicko

Twitter: @Chicko_LCS

BECOME A JOCK MEMBER – EXTENDED LENGTH MONTHLY PODCASTS

AFL Supercoach Legend Jock ReynoldsThis article has been penned by an elite Supercoach analyst hand picked from the talent pool of the Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Community. He has stood up within our community as a man of fantasy substance, and has displayed the spirit of togetherness, positivity and community that we value significantly.

throttlefinger · 20/11/2014 at 07:16

Expert, Chicko. True master of the review. And agree, too many variables for him not to be a watch list candidate. At that price you want to be more than sure of what you're getting. Could see Malceski being an after bye trade for that home stretch, especially if he really gets cozy in that Suns' backfield. We shall see. Top notch, my friend.

Chicko · 20/11/2014 at 07:26

Thanks Throtts my good man! I’m humbled by your kinds words and pump up. Rocket must be salivating at the talent he has at his disposal, between Malceski, Harbrow and McKenzie, it’s a pretty damaging triumvirate of run and delivery out of the defensive 50. I like the idea of a post bye trade as it provides a solid 10 weeks to see how he slots in. Thanks Throtts!

throttlefinger · 20/11/2014 at 07:31

I agree. In fact, that should enable them to make the finals and jump teams like the Tigers who just skid in by the seat of their pants. Especially if Nicholls and Weekend at Charlie's can stay away from the medicals.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 20/11/2014 at 08:11

Great points boys. Post bye target for mine. Weekend at Charlies. How long does it take to make a complete comeback from death? It seems like the ultimate long term injury that you may never recover from.

throttlefinger · 20/11/2014 at 08:57

Death tends to result in an inverted arousal curse.

Chicko · 20/11/2014 at 14:43

Definitely not great for one's arousal curve, but apparently you are stiff for a very long time!

Dools · 20/11/2014 at 19:01

Your hair and nails continue to grow when you are dead, unfortunately phone calls just seem to taper off

Sarah · 20/11/2014 at 07:39

Well I was considering him but now I'm hesitant. You make a very good point Chicko that his price will likely depreciate, making him a better upgrade target than starter. Hmmm, more thought on this one is required. Thanks for kick starting it!!

throttlefinger · 20/11/2014 at 07:51

Funny thing, Sarah. Since these reviews have started, many in the community have said that spending over $500K on a Def is, in the long run, is a waste. And looking back at my R1 and final team, I'd tend to agree. Don't hold value well over the $500K mark. Like Forwards, probably best looking for the fallen ones or Enright types who are under $500K but have a low SD and ave 90-95 from the beginning. Then wait for the price to fall on the better ones.. Malcheski could be the poster boy of this approach.

Sarah · 20/11/2014 at 08:22

True, but you do need to start with 1 or 2 if you intend to keep them all year. You can't use 6 trades on the forward and backline for upgrades!! However, in this case I think I'll probably end up waiting on Malceski due to the unknowns of being at a new team.

throttlefinger · 20/11/2014 at 08:58

Right. 1-2 tops. And even those need to be taken with an overly skeptical eye (e.g. Mitchell and Walker). If I'm going over $500, it will have to be for a bonafide DPP SC badass.

Chicko · 20/11/2014 at 14:44

If you are spending $500k plus though, I think you want to be sure on their role or at least be paying for the DPP to give you some flexibility.

throttlefinger · 20/11/2014 at 21:25

For sure Big C. Both will be required this season.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 20/11/2014 at 08:06

I'd back off & look at him as an upgrade target. At 480k odd Chicko & myself were of the extreme minority that jumped on rnd1. Proved to be a bargain. But at closer to 600k my advice is wait till later.

Sarah · 20/11/2014 at 08:20

Excellent advice INP.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 20/11/2014 at 08:01

Like you Chicko I picked Malcho for rnd 1. Of all the premo priced uncertainties I picked, Malcho, Darlhaus, Sauce Jacobs & Sandiballs, they all survived the season. I got those ones right. The only other premo I picked that survived rage trading through injury or shite form was Dusty. And he wasn't what I hoped scoring wise. Probably like yours, Malcho was my best pick. I said to Jock in the preseason I was geeting on the Malcho train. He delivered in spades. Awesome season. I saw him as underpriced, much as the other boys I got right. Probably won't pick him round 1, but top of the defence upgrade target list. Cracker of a piece Chicko. And your absolutely right about the riew view mirror. Break it off the windscreen, it doesn't exist.

throttlefinger · 20/11/2014 at 09:09

Is it actually called a "windscreen"? Not being sarcastic…well, a little.

Loved that advice, as well as Chicko fond GC memories of G sunny, sandy days filled with lightly scandalous adverts. Top shelf.

General Soreness · 20/11/2014 at 09:38

Clearly the marketing team spent a lot of time coming up for a name of the pane of glass that screens wind from entering the vehicle. Is there another name for it?

throttlefinger · 20/11/2014 at 09:48

Window.

General Soreness · 20/11/2014 at 11:41

I just pictured the convo as a comedy sketch, im in tears!

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 20/11/2014 at 12:06

How about the thing you look through when your drivinjg your car that gets dirty all the time.

Throttlefinger · 20/11/2014 at 12:21

Hilarious! So glad I asked.

WombatsFC · 20/11/2014 at 15:29

TKTD
        Transversely mounted kinetic turbulence deflector

Sarah · 20/11/2014 at 16:49

Transparent Silica Mounted Incline Plane Kinetic Particle and Condensation Deflector!!
          TSMIPKPCD

Sorry guys, couldn't resist after Wombats comment!!

General Soreness · 20/11/2014 at 09:23

Great write up Chicko as usual. I didnt bathe in the Malcho glory last year, by the time I was ready to jump on he was too exy. I am reading from the same Hymn book as everyone else for 2015 – upgrade target. Not to mention that I could very well end up with a very cheap rookie backline in 2015 the way things appear to be shaping up and he would just not fit at the price.

throttlefinger · 20/11/2014 at 09:52

Agree, General. Backline is where I'm cutting coupons this season.

Chicko · 20/11/2014 at 14:45

What's that old saying, a penny saved is a penny earned – never truer in this world of Supercoach!

@TG_Footy_Tragic · 20/11/2014 at 10:28

Hit the nail on the head Chicko!
Magnificent Maleficent Malceski… Majestic!

A no in the starting line-up, but definitely on the short-list of Defender upgrade targets!

Chicko · 20/11/2014 at 14:46

Thanks Dex, maybe we need to change it to Quadruple M!

WombatsFC · 20/11/2014 at 10:49

Thanks again Chiko I should have got him last year instead of Smitch but the last time I recruited him he popped a ligament the following week and the aftertaste is still strong.
There is no doubt that Mcubed is a talented and determined animal and I would love to have the confidence in him to be able to give him a D1 or 2 spot from the start. But at an estimated 560k that's a lot of classy gold coast postcards.
Mid year Sale purchase for me if I get him at all.

Chicko · 20/11/2014 at 14:48

Cheers Wombat, looks like we are all thinking upgrade for Malceski, only thing is, that may mean he isn't a POD for us in the back half of the year. But then again, the community is a significant beast who knows what they are doing.

James Sykes · 20/11/2014 at 10:52

feeling pretty nervous about the backline this year…we might be losing D Swallow, Bartel, Sammy Mitchell, Hanley and other midfielders from back there in 2015.

The bearded one might be one of only a small number of true premium options down back.

I for one will be looking at Andrew Walker and Enright very closely.

General Soreness · 20/11/2014 at 11:48

Walker will be interesting, his 2014 is forgettable….or was it, his history shows his 2013 was massive 106.1 but 2014 was his second best year SC scoring wise 87.9 beating his 2011 82.8. He is very brittle and misses alot of games only 2011 has he played a full season since 2006, missed one in 2013, outside of this hasnt played more than 15 games in a season since 2007. On watchlist but unlikely to touch, I want to set and forget my premo's as much as possible.

Chicko · 20/11/2014 at 14:49

It may be my Bomber blood, but I would avoid Walker, as the General very wisely points out, he had a blinder in 2013, but has been relatively average outside of that, and I think there is better valie, and more reliable options elsewhere.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 20/11/2014 at 17:28

He burnt my itchy ones too Chicko. He on the banned forever list. He’s way to fragile.

Chicko · 20/11/2014 at 19:47

COMPLETELY AGREE Itchy!

Cozza · 20/11/2014 at 11:39

Love it Chicko (and everyone else who has been posting these reviews). Sorry I have not replied more – have been reading posts but too busy at work to find time to reply. How rude of clients to want me to do work for them when I should be researching SC.

Agree totally with your review of Triple M – age is a concern plus there is a backline brimming with quality – he will be one of a few very quality players there – not that he wasn't in Sydney, but I think he'll have more guys taking some of his rebounds. I can see his price dropping after the first few rounds, so will be a potential upgrade option post byes if he can continue his good output.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 20/11/2014 at 13:18

I'm having the same problem with clients as well Cozza. Many are on my watchlist for all the wrong reasons!

jockreynolds · 20/11/2014 at 19:33

The need to complete ones working day with actual work related activity is a bee sting on the tip of the ear of our noble pursuit Cozza.

I love it when a long time reader takes the leap and spills himself onto the comments area. Warm welcome friend.

Chicko · 20/11/2014 at 19:49

Welcome back Cozza, how dare these clients interfere with your pursuit of fantasy football greatness?

Chicko · 20/11/2014 at 19:53

Agree Jock, the may be hesitation, reservation, nervousness about joining the thread, but once you jump the shark there is no turning back and the community is a warm and welcoming congregation waiting more collective wisdoms to be shared and dissected. I might be channelling Randy Watson from Coming To America, but can I get an amen?

throttlefinger · 20/11/2014 at 21:30

Sexual chocolate! http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=gvzCD6HDtXo

Chicko · 20/11/2014 at 21:56

Seriously Throtts, it's one of my all time fave movies. And while your clapping please put your hands together for my band, Sexual Chocolate. Pure genius!

throttlefinger · 20/11/2014 at 22:18

"Gawddamn that boy can sing. He good."

One of my favs too, Chicko.

Chicko · 21/11/2014 at 05:40

"his mama call him Clay, I call him Clay"

throttlefinger · 21/11/2014 at 06:33

Classic! Probably my favorite scene.

Barwick's Soilders · 20/11/2014 at 17:59

A lot of valid points there chicko, I started him in 2014 and it payed off but I agree with everone in saying to much cash for a def, post bye will have a look.

Chicko · 20/11/2014 at 19:51

You are a discerning man Barwick, I've said if before, and I suspect I will say it again. I look forward to saying it again soon my friend.

@BarronVonCrow · 20/11/2014 at 19:49

You've summed up all the reasons why i'm likely staying away Chicko. He's been such an up and down player in his Supercoach career it's hard to judge where he stands. He averaged 101 in 2007 and followed it up with a 66 in 2008. Then back up to 91 in 2010 and a 67 in 2011. I am worried that he, McKenzie and May are all going to be in each others way down there and they'll all take touches off each other and while the Suns will likely be better for it, as individuals they'll all suffer.

Chicko · 20/11/2014 at 19:59

Thanks Barron, too kind good Sir. Not only the aforementioned players, but also Harbrow and I get the feeling Rocket might be tempted to play Jack Martin off the half back flank / wing which will also compete for Malceski style possessions as the outside player.

Dools · 20/11/2014 at 20:14

Hi Chicko, wonderful stuff mate but it got me a thinking (Fridge is involved, big, big time)
I went with Jarrod McVeigh from the get go. 104 AVG Low scores at the start but he was a keeper lost 40-50 K entire season but I got 14 tons very happy , simular age to 3MMM and same background in fact if these to guys were on Tinder. Well !!!!
Right I have been to fridge. 3MMM could have been got for $489K Round 1 , played all games and increased in value by Round 23 by Approx $30 K . 15 Tons and moved his Avg Up a Massive 15 points from 90(20130) to 105 (2014)
Jarrod McVeigh cost $572K decreased $50K odd over 23 rounds but more importantly held his AVG for Price (dropped form 106 to 104) hit 13 tons I think !!
Now we must examine 2 maybe 3 things who is still at Sydney and who left, who maintained his Avg and who Jumped up, and maybe just maybe who has the same coach as last year,
3MMM will not be cheap but McVeigh is value for money. Same age , same role, same expectations, same Team for McVeigh, same Coach for McVeigh simular AVG for McVeigh and more then likely a simular price.
So my answer is NO 5 /95 for 3MM but 95/5 for McVeigh.
I will not sacrifice my Defence for a few good men in the Mids, we may get 30 trades but that means you have changed the entire list , forgetting injuries / suspensions !
Games played since 2010 (They both start in 2005)
McVeigh 108 out of a possible 110
3MMM 95 (admittedly 3MMM has only missed 3 games in the last 3 years)
Hmmm Tinder, 3MMM I love ya but Jarrod we can make Super Coach babies LOL
Anywho back "To the fridge" for me

throttlefinger · 20/11/2014 at 21:33

Pure excellence, Dools. My concern or hope is McVeigh retains his DPP status. If so he may be one of my 2 $500K+ defs.

Chicko · 20/11/2014 at 21:53

Outstanding Dools, magnificence personified! I'm a massive fan of the bearded bald headed warrior in McVeigh, not only for his follicle free forehead but also for the many reasons you state – consistent role, well known game plan, consistent scoring, and his ability to ton up. Like Throttle, if he retains his DPP then I'm all over him.

WombatsFC · 10/01/2015 at 22:53

I Bagged him in my backline solution and this is why. Eski's history from 2006 onwards. 67, 100, 51, 96, 67, 75, 90, 105

What's the next number in that pattern?

year 0=67, year4=67, year 8 will also be 67 because the stats suggest that every four years he will average 67