Quintessential small forward or something more?

MasoThere were no second year blues for this young star winning his clubs B&F and selected for All Australian honours in 2013. But maybe his head got too big and it caught up to him in 2014, his third year in the comp.

After banging out 100 in round 1 and then 104 in round 2 I was feeling pretty chuffed with selecting Chad in my forward line for 2014. If only I knew that the rollercoaster was about to begin I would have screamed and jumped off straight away.

The Chad’s 2014 was poor in comparison to his outstanding season in 2013 bettering only 4 stats – up 1.1 in tackles, up .3 in marks i50, up 4.1% TOG and up .5 in behinds kicked.

Could he be an option for us in 2015?

2015 Price: $429,500
2015 Position: FWD
Games last season: 21
Average last season: 79.9
100+ games last season: 7
Sub 80 games last season: 8
Price range last season: $351k-$531k
Missed games last season: 1
Significant history: Chad has been in the AFL for only 3 seasons and has played 19, 22, 21 games for SC averages of 51.7, 98.6 and 79.9.

CLICK HERE FOR ALL OF OUR SUPERCOACH 2015 PLAYER PREVIEWS

Breakdown of his scoring ability for last 2 seasons.

Image 1

Chad has scored over 80 points 70% of the time in the last 2 seasons which is quite a bit higher than a few other small forwards like Thomas 33% (13 from 40games) and Ballantyne 40% (15 from 37games)

Risk Factor

We all know with Supercoach it is just as risky to pick a small forward as it is a tall forward.

As with all small forward types unless they get up the ground to gather possessions they need goals to reach the 100 and with Gray taking the midfield honours more often than not Chad will need to be kicking at least 2-3 a game.

Selection Purpose

With DPP and round 13 bye Chad would be a good stepping stone selection for 1st half of the season upgrading him to a premo from either round 11 or 12 in the midfield or forward line. Could also be a worthy F6 that can cover in the midfield.

The Good

● Durable with a high TOG%
● Is a Match winner who can get those bonus points
● Proven goal kicker with returns of 43 in both 2013 & 2014
● When not kicking goals he is assisting in them (ranked 4th in 2014)

The Downside

● Has to contend with Gray and Monfries for mid time as well as a forward target
● Over $400k for a small forward isn’t ideal unless he turns into Parker/Gray type

Verdict

If he can get his possession count up to 20-22 per game it won’t take him long to start cracking the ton week in week out, I see him being a smaller version of Buddy where with ball in hand they can win games of their own boot and as we know influence on games is bonus SC points. Even though he cost me a few match ups last season I’m willing to consider him again, I selected him this season at $530k so being around $100k cheaper for 2015 wont sting as bad if he doesn’t improve.

With Swanny tagged to be a mid/fwd (confirmed position FWD only) it will make it harder to select Chad as they will be fighting for the same spot in the Muppets line up.

On the short list.

Maso

Twitter: @Maso_78

BECOME A JOCK MEMBER – EXTENDED LENGTH MONTHLY PODCASTS

AFL Supercoach Legend Jock ReynoldsThis article has been penned by an elite Supercoach analyst hand picked from the talent pool of the Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Community. He has stood up within our community as a man of fantasy substance, and has displayed the spirit of togetherness, positivity and community that we value significantly.

General Soreness · 19/11/2014 at 09:37

Which year is the aberation?? If you think its 2013, lock him in, if its 2014 a solid No. As a DPP he retains my attention and a spot on the shortlist for a forward spot, preseason form and structures may determine his fate for me. Watchlist for sure. Nice work Maso.

throttlefinger · 19/11/2014 at 09:45

Fantastic review, Maso. The Chad burned me as well. The price is nice yet I'm not sold on him regaining his 2013 form. But, as always, you've put forth a convincing case to consider him. 30/70 right now.

Sarah · 19/11/2014 at 09:47

Great write up. I was stuck with him for the whole of last season as well and boy was he frustrating!! I'd watch power games and he'd be just skirting around the outside of packs waiting for the ball to be dished out to him instead of going and getting it himself. To me he seemed to be putting more effort into fixing his hair than winning the footy… especially in a contested situation. And we all know contested footy is gold for supercoach.
While I can't say he's not on my watch list due to his price and potential, I'd advise you all to be weary of him as he can be very frustrating to watch if he continues in the vein of 2014.

Kev · 19/11/2014 at 10:21

I'm with you here, Sarah. Skirts packs looking for cheap ball and that frustrates me to no end in supercoach. When he flirted with midfield time he looked much better in getting his hands on it. A no for me for now but preseason role/news will play a part. I suspect Port like him closer to home than in the middle though.

throttlefinger · 19/11/2014 at 10:50

Well said, Sarah.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 19/11/2014 at 18:50

You need your hair done before you take a hangar. Well summarised Sarah. Unlikely starting selection.

Seaford Scouse · 21/11/2014 at 07:57

Thanks Maso another good analysis. Couldn’t agree more with you Sarah, he needs to go looking for the pill himself, and be more aggressive at match-ups, burnt me last year after a stellar 2013 but won’t be buying into his hype this year unless of course he turns up to pre-seaon with a buzz but a different some scars on his face.

WombatsFC · 19/11/2014 at 10:07

Thanks Maso. The mercurial Mr Wingard burned many L/Y and Sarah has pretty much hit the nail on the head with her comments. I wont be surprised if he rolls up for Supercoach 2015 as a KPF.

throttlefinger · 19/11/2014 at 10:58

Good call on that, Womby. The 5-6 games I watched Port, he treated the midfield like an old girlfriend who he jacked all her One Direction CDs.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 19/11/2014 at 16:54

Very nice piece Maso. After the reduced midfield time this year & some very poor scores it would be hard to entertain a starting birth for the chad. He’s a wait & see for mine.

Phil · 19/11/2014 at 17:08

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me….
Unless if I see him training with the midfield group, it's a definite NO from me….and the same goes for any small forward. I like him as a player though.
Nice write up.

Barwick's Soilders · 19/11/2014 at 17:49

Great work my man Maso. No from me, didn’t fall for him last year and won’t pick him this year, but regardless, flawless article

Dools · 19/11/2014 at 19:25

Great Work Maso,
I think this player deserves a lot more credit, I think he is 80/20 for me.
Whilst he has been accused of preening a hairstyle and watching for 8 or 9 games, where his hair flick was more important then the pill. Hmmm Role change!!!! Exciting not as a Forward and not as Mid. Me Likey, Likey!!!
What better weapon to a team then our opposition not knowing what the role is…. I do not know what his role will be but I get 43 goals (2 years running) playing sub 100 last season maybe the coin is exy but as I have stated again and again Peek SC years are followed up by a trough in this case 19 Point AVG from 2013 to 2014 down to 79 …Hmmm At 22 next July and having played 62 games in 3 years ( missed 5 games in 3 seasons) at that age this speaks volumes to me (usually under performing youths are shown the 2's) Not this boy….
Regardless of DPP or Mid / Fwd only I will be seriously looking….
And if your not well that's another trade you have to make to adjust ……
So I'm returning "To the fridge!!" regardless of memory loss and maybe some of you should forget last year too
Loved the comments and the article well done all contributors.
Cheers Maso!!

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 20/11/2014 at 00:18

You sound like you have some mail we don’t Dools. The tallent is awesome. Does he become the Robby Gray of 2014? Potential no doubt. Mid time? Hmmmm does he buy in to that role. On face value the answer is no. Others willing to go harder at Port. Advice Dools?

Barwick's Soilders · 19/11/2014 at 19:33

Chad Wingard:

2014:79.9

In wins: 90.6

In loses: 72.6

(Note I did not count the 10 in round 11)

2013: 98.6

In Wins: 111.83

In loses: 82.7

jockreynolds · 19/11/2014 at 20:06

Thanks for another top review Maso. As much as he had me pulling the hair out after picking him up in 2014 – will be in the mix for JR Brumby FC FWD position in 2015

@TG_Footy_Tragic · 20/11/2014 at 10:10

Similar price to Swanny and throws more turds.

If it comes down to it, between him and Swanny – i'd go Swanny first.

Not enough upside for mine.

Quality review Maso!