Wham Bam (No?) Thank You Sam

ThrottlefingerHappenstance can either make you or break you. I remember in my 20s getting a return flight cross country and being seated next to a gorgeous woman with an amazing sense of humor. Had a blast the whole flight. Few times I wish the flight was longer. Even got a little tickly during her stay in my town.

Then there was the time I got seated next to a heavy-elbowed man who wouldn’t stop talking and breath smelled like if you stuck Cheetos up your bum and ran a marathon. Luck wasn’t with me that day.

And luck wasn’t with Sam Blease when he was drafted #17 by the Demons in the 2008 draft. He has had the misfortune of being on a team that had five coaches in six years. And in those six years only playing 33 games.

But second chances are what make sports great. Sam got a dream delisting and got an upgrade from the bottom of the cellar to the top with Geelong picking him up.

Will Sam Blease please in 2015? Let’s grab some chips, a king-sized Twix and double meat and cheese grinder and put on our data feed bag at the Sam Blease deli.

2015 Price: $177,400
2015 Position: MID/FWD
Games last season: 2
Average last season: 33.2
100+ games last season: 0
Sub 80 games last season: 2 (27,39)
Price range last season: $179k
Missed games last season: N/A
Significant history: Nominated for the Rising Star in both 2011 and 2012 Ranked 5th among rising stars in Goals per game in 2012 2013 missed 4-6 weeks with a high ankle sprain during NAB Rumour is that he has open hot tub invitation from Bruce McAvaney

CLICK HERE FOR ALL OF OUR SUPERCOACH 2015 PLAYER PREVIEWS

Dees and Blease weren’t a good fit and that became apparent in last two seasons. 2 games in 2014, 10 in 2013 with a lot of time playing at Casey Fields. But what are the Cats getting? To find what potential Blease has, let’s have a gander at his 2012 season when he played the most games. This “stand-out year” he played 16 games, connected with 19 goals (1.2/game average) and went ton twice (115 & 104). Yet the rest of the games were sub-80 scores.

Other 2012 numbers that seem relevant, he went averaged 12.6 disposals a game (favored kicks to handies 8.5 to 4.1. Nice!), inside 50 for 2.8/game, averaged 2.1 tackles/game and 1.8 bounces a game (how much do those even factor in to SC?).

Not bad. Yet the biggest red flag is his TOG…only spent 69% on the field that year. 58% in 2013 when he played 10 games.

So Blease is a speedster without an engine. Yet, if there is any club that can turn that around, it would be Cap’n Selwood and the rest of the Cats.

RISK FACTOR

Obviously unproven. And if his fitness doesn’t improve, he could be wearing a vest or find his name not called on Thursdays. One thing is for sure, Cats won’t truck with an underperformer. It’s make or break it time for Sam Blease.

SELECTION PURPOSE

Lots to please with Sam Blease (oh c’mon, you KNEW that rhyme was nigh). DPP, sub $200 price, on a team with a need for his skillset and a chip on his shoulder trying to show he belongs in the AFL bright lights.

THE GOOD

• An experienced DPP at $178K (confirmed price #177,400) (praise Jeebus!)
  • Varcoe & Christensen gone means playing time
  • Kicks over handballs and likes to tackle
  • 25 goals in 33 games means the posts are his friends

THE BAD

• House Cat or backporch Cat? Is he good enough?
  • Tank is a big concern. 69% ain’t gonna cut it (Christensen 81% & Varcoe 82& TOG)
  • Can his body hold up to a full season?
  • Very friendly with sub-80 scores.

THROTTLE DECREES

No brainer. DPP in forward line for under $200K. The bonanza to burn factor is skewed quite in our favor, coaches. Like any unprovens, though, let’s see how he fits in with the Cats during preseason. The amount of time he plays will surely dictate if the Cats will proceed full Blease ahead or with caution.

90/10 YES

Agree or is me brain drunk on beans? Let me know community!

Throttlefinger

Twitter: @throttlefinger

BECOME A JOCK MEMBER – EXTENDED LENGTH MONTHLY PODCASTS

AFL Supercoach Legend Jock Reynolds This article has been penned by an elite Supercoach analyst hand picked from the talent pool of the Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Community. He has stood up within our community as a man of fantasy substance, and has displayed the spirit of togetherness, positivity and community that we value significantly.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 10/11/2014 at 07:19

Quality as always throttle. Obviously losing Varcoe & Christiansen creates a void but he’s certainly unproven for mine at the elite level. Being delisted by melbourne is hardly one of footballs greatest compliments. I’d probably see him as a corrective trade. But if he tears up the preseason & gets named round 1 then there is case for. He would need that DPP that’s for sure. As a mid only there’s no chance he would be in my side. As a mid only I’d have Isaac Heeney & Nathan freeman miles ahead of him. If he gets the DPP & your looking at a stacked midfield then he has to be looked at. Thanks for the write up throts love ya work.

throttlefinger · 10/11/2014 at 10:34

Thanks, INP! Think it's a fair point that the stars need to be a little aligned for picking Blease. DPP for sure. Strong preseason with more than 80% TOG is another and not looking like Gary Rohan SC-wise during NAB will be important too.

Appreciate the kind words on the writeup, my man.

lostlarrikin · 10/11/2014 at 08:00

Brilliant work Throtts!
Those 2012 numbers certainly show some promise, but he will need to deliver on and above this output to be considered as a worthy cow.
Obviously the Cats reckon they can squeeze the Blease and distill something worth bottling.
How they will use this kid is the 178,000 dollar question.
60/40 for mine atm.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 10/11/2014 at 09:21

It’s a tough one here losty. There is a sniff of Gary Rohan about this guy.

throttlefinger · 10/11/2014 at 10:38

Haha INP! I didn't read this before throwing saying the R-word in my reply to you. He does sniff of him. Yet I think his goal scoring potential is what separates him. Also, he hasn't done shitte on a good team yet…only shitte on a shitte-y team.

To Losty's point, think that being on a better team raises your game (and on a lowly the opposite). Senior players will demand it of Blease, and he'll get more attention with Varcoe and Christensen out. If they were there, I don't think we would consider Blease at all. Preseason will dictate.

Regardless, he's a R1, R3 or not at all player. Appreciate the review high five, Lostlarrikin.

lostlarrikin · 10/11/2014 at 10:44

Yes had exactly the same thoughts, tho I had promised myself that I would never utter that name again.

Chicko · 10/11/2014 at 10:08

Love your work Throtts, and also love how you are willing to put your nurries right out there. I'm not sold on Blease, will watch closely on the pre-season. Hard to see how he fits into the best 22 at the Cats – I like his price, I like his potential DPP but that counts for nothing if he can't get on the park. Top article!

throttlefinger · 10/11/2014 at 10:41

Hey Chicko! Thanks for the kind words. Yes, it's pretty clear cut if he's in, he's in. If he's out, he's out. I don't think Cats will fuss with him too much if he doesn't show much in preseason. Think there's a place for him but that's based solely on his potential/talent. Yet if and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be Xmas. Wait and see.

@TG_Footy_Tragic · 10/11/2014 at 10:31

Interesting dilemma indeed!
Is Blease a Gary "spud" Rohan – Mark 2.0?

A lot will have to go right for me to select him, but very valid rookie option.

Excellent piece throtts – as always!

throttlefinger · 10/11/2014 at 10:44

Thanks Dex.

All eyes will be on him preseason. Think there *may* be something there. Think the good news for us is that the Cats won't go forward on a *may*. They'll know what they have during preseason and NAB. And we'll follow course from there. Guys with experience as a DPP below $200K are hard to find. I hope gives us one less player to think about.

Kev · 10/11/2014 at 11:43

"Full Blease ahead" Ha!

I don't see Blease as a walk up start at the cats, despite the departures of Bundy and Varcoe. Will spend some time down at VFL level learning to play the cats brand of footy. At best a mid-to-late season downgrade target, and potentially a handy one if he does have that DPP.

Your articles are always a worthy read, TF

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 10/11/2014 at 12:13

Sound logic there big Kev. Can’t see him being a wall up start either. Nice input

throttlefinger · 10/11/2014 at 20:48

Thanks Kev. And an excellent point. Could certainly be shipped to VFL if he doesn't show them much in preseason. '

@BarronVonCrow · 10/11/2014 at 12:59

Good stuff, Throtts. His disposal efficiency is what turns me off. He's got the run and carry part down, but after that?

It's gone from 75% in 2011, to 59% in 12, 56% in 13 and 43% in his 2 games last year.

Still, will give him a watch during the pre-season, but as Kev said, i'm not sure he'll be in the mix come round 1.

throttlefinger · 10/11/2014 at 20:51

Well he certainly won't with a sub 75% disposal efficiency, that's for sure Barron.

His speed and goal scoring are the only ticks in his box. Not enough. He'll need to come out gangbusters…does he have it in him?

Dools · 10/11/2014 at 15:44

Nice article TF as always.
5/95 for getting him ATM. I will watch his pre-season but he is another SC dud going cheap
I foresee a lot a time in the 2's as Kev rightly pointed out.
Another worry worth mentioning is Roos has admitted he got it wrong last season putting too much emphasis on Defence and this season he will play more attacking footy to rectify that..So the Big Question is……Why did he release such a valuable forward???????He was delisted.. Hmmm

"When we met with Sam during his end-of-season exit interview, we both agreed that it hadn't worked for him at the Melbourne Football Club," Melbourne football manager Josh Mahoney pacey said. UNDERSTATEMENT. Nice, but understated.
DPP or not a highly unlikely to grace the field on the SC team.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 10/11/2014 at 16:04

Agreed Dools. And Big Kev was absolutely right, he will have to play the Geelong way before he gets a sniff. If he comes in later you can look at his first 2 scores & make the call then. Im bullish on this draft & it's depth. So Cheap Wookies may not be required. I'd certainly be more inetrested in Mitch Clarke over Blease. Despite my hatred of KPP's. To The Esky! Fridge Update: repair man due later in the week! Esky should get a well earned rest ahead of summer pounding!

Dools · 10/11/2014 at 17:50

Hi INP,
      Geelong always play with a longer view in mind i.e. Josh Caddy
      Caddy came to the Cats back in end 2012 He was a walk up starter in Gold Coast side but missed 6 games for the Cat's I think? and was up and down like a yo-yo Scores of 1 to 100 but mostly 50s (Played his way, sometimes good but the team way? Nawh) 3 years in He knows what is expected and I think he will rise again to the high 80's/ mid 90's but Blease and Clark hmmm walk up starters?? Nawh
      I can't believe you are still without a fridge man … Esky needs a bye round before summer I agree mate lol

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 10/11/2014 at 18:54

Having dropped 2kg's since the fridge died i'm asking myself is it really worth getting it fixed. hmmmmmmm. But it's under warranty, so fix it. You wouldn't want to see what a carton of milk looks like after a week of 20 degree tempratures. Holy crapola. Open it up & it smells like Gary Rohan. I avoided him & Josh Caddy & went for Higgins & Darlhaus. Hopefully if my predictions are correct this draft is quality & we wont need wookies. Never been a Caddy Man.

Dools · 10/11/2014 at 20:07

Name and Shame the Company INP Name and Shame .. This is Un-Australian your fridge company is the Halal of CO. PTY.LTD.
          Name the Nemesis of Cold Drinks…Lets see a little Community Pressure here
          Is it now your fault that you choose a fridge (Insert Dud) from a certain company (Insert Dees) only to be told (insert Halal) that it's your problem but please buy from us again as the jobs in China (Insert Dees) are at risk???? Hmmm Name and Shame INP I will never go there again (Insert Cheap Chinese food (Insert Dees ), bad Mexican (Insert Dees) and traditional Irish fare (Insert Irish) and any Demon Player (Except N.Jones and the other good one) LOL
          Fix the fridge mate …No one in this great big brown land requires a white ornament (Looks nice, but does F.."All !!!!" )

Dools · 10/11/2014 at 20:15

Having just re – read my post I think I came down too hard on the Dees. And I hope I did not offend anyone with my light remarks on Halal… My apologies.

Dools · 10/11/2014 at 20:22

bugger I also want to apologise to the Irish…..

Dools · 10/11/2014 at 20:23

……

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 11/11/2014 at 00:28

Won’t be buying a hisesnse fridge again. Piece of [email protected] shit that thing is. One must have a fridge! The most important component to any mans happy life. My fridge selection reminded me of one one my go ugly early mates. Take anything you can get ASAP. Never again!

throttlefinger · 10/11/2014 at 21:06

Later in the week!!!! How are you surviving, INP?!? We need Dool's fridge to put a message on the coolant network to send an emergency beer brigade over to your place. STAT!

throttlefinger · 10/11/2014 at 20:54

Great points you make as always, Dools.

I really don't buy into because he didn't make it on the Dees, he can't make it anywhere. Some players don't work mesh with other teams. Or don't know how to bring the talent out (see: Polec). Not saying this is the case with Blease. Time will tell. Certainly something there. And if he has AFL-level talent, think there's no better team to get that out of him than the Cats.

See what he does preseason. Think that will be make the 22 or VFL bound time for the Bleaser.

Barwick's Soilders · 10/11/2014 at 16:35

Great article by a great man. I agree with a couple of other people in he looks like a 2.0 of the you know who swan from last year. At this stage 0/100, if he gets dpp, after preseason he looks in their best 22 and im drunk when I pick my team, there is a small chance he will be there.

However great piece

Dools · 10/11/2014 at 17:35

G'day Barwick,
    "when I'm drunk" That's how everyone picks their squad? Right?? LOL

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 10/11/2014 at 19:02

So true. Should be a breathylyser attached to machines not allowing drunken selections or trades. Watson to Hibbered last season WTF. The fridge was literally flying that day.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 10/11/2014 at 19:09

Worst trade ever!

Barwick's Soilders · 10/11/2014 at 19:23

So true about the breathylyser

throttlefinger · 10/11/2014 at 20:56

For sure, INP.

throttlefinger · 10/11/2014 at 20:56

Oh man, that's a great comment to wake up to. Thanks Barwick.

Hahah. Yeah, he does smell like the ginger boy from the Swans frontline. See if he acts like it as well.

General Soreness · 10/11/2014 at 17:49

Great work as always Throtts. A no from me, I am more likely to risk a first year player with an unknown upside against the mostly unproven work of Blease, who has promised alot but has delivered donuts, and not those tasty donuts that you would want delivered. I will keep an eye on him preseason but will take an almighty effort for him to gain a starting berth in the Soreness 2015. Pieman has stated on numerous occasions about draftees 18 onwards, I will be focusing my attention there.

throttlefinger · 10/11/2014 at 20:59

Hey General! Completely agree that rookies have the right of way through the door over second chancers. And I very much hope there is this season.

Dools · 10/11/2014 at 17:57

Dame TF, I missed the Rumour on "Hot tub invitation" Gold my man pure Gold

throttlefinger · 10/11/2014 at 21:00

Haha. Glad you like, Dools. Hope Slipper wasn't offended. I've read that it can be sensitive to those sort of jokes.

MASO · 10/11/2014 at 18:14

was on the radar last year as a cheap risk and will be on it again this year , top shelf TF.

throttlefinger · 10/11/2014 at 21:01

My man MASO! Thanks buddy. Think he's a watch list guy in the grand scheme of things. And truthfully after hearing the community's response, I think that's more of where he should be going in.

Phil · 10/11/2014 at 20:36

Great review and I think you make a very valid point about Christensen & Varcoe opening up a coupl of spots. For how good a team Geelong are I don't think there bottom 6 of there best 22 are that good, so I'd give this fella every chance to get a gig….albeit vest risk.

If nothing else you've put a guy I hadnt considered onto my watchlist, great work….

throttlefinger · 10/11/2014 at 21:02

Thanks Phil for the virtual backslap.

Agree. He's a watch list guy. But under rookies and other better valued players.

Dools · 10/11/2014 at 22:05

What happened to 90 /10 yes TF
Do I hear a maybe NOT ????
Nawh?? Can't be…. Now way Not that Please ,,, Blease !!!!

Melbourne midfielder Sam Blease will seek a new home during this year's trade period after being told he would not be offered a contract for next season.
Blease, pick 17 in the 2008 draft, broke his leg in the school ground during his first pre-season at the club and has struggled to break into the side with any consistency in the years since.

I have taken the liberty with the Godfather of Soul
Honey, Blease don't (Go)
Yeah, oh yeah, love, I love you so
(Please, Blease don't go)

Baby, you did me wrong
(So you got me woman)
Well, well you done me wrong
(So you got me woman)

So you done, done me wrong
(Go)
Well, oh yeah, took my love, now you're gone
(Please, Blease don't go)

Please, please, please, please, please
(Please, Blease don't go)
Please, please, please, please, please
(Please, Blease don't go!!!!!!

throttlefinger · 10/11/2014 at 22:36

Majestic! Now when (or if) I see Blease play, I will be thinking "Blease, Blease, Blease, Blease, Blease…Blease, Blease Don't Go." Thanks Dools.

Yeah. The community has convinced me to curb my enthusiasm regarding The Bleaser. Saving me again from another embarrassing choice…rather get these moments out of the way now rather than later.

Dools · 10/11/2014 at 22:57

Sorry TF, I love yah and tuff love is important
      Now Blease goes on to play 21 outa 22 and wins AVG 130 ….just kidding mate

Please allow me to introduce myself…….(Loki of SC)
      I'm a man of wealth and taste
      I've been around for a long, long year
      Stole many a man's soul to waste

And I was 'round when Jesus Christ (GAJ)
      Had his moment of doubt and pain (Shoulder)
      Made damn sure that Pilate
      Washed his hands and sealed his fate!

Pleased to meet you TF
      Hope you guessed my name
      But what's puzzling you
      Is the nature of my game??? (There is only one game)

I stuck around St. Petersburg
      When I saw it was a time for a change
      Killed the Czar and his ministers
      Anastasia screamed in vain

I rode a tank
      Held a general's rank
      When the blitzkrieg raged
      And the bodies stank……..

Dools · 10/11/2014 at 23:01

Bugger That should be Blease allow me to introduce myself……

throttlefinger · 10/11/2014 at 23:36

You are really missing the opportunity to use "Blease". But amazing riff off the Stones. Think you may have to petition Jock to be the community's official Weird Al.

skulldonkey · 11/11/2014 at 04:15

Lovely write up Throttle. Although my laughter was directed mostly at your startling Cheetos metaphor. Brilliant. Blease for me is a no go. Hes had 6 years in the big uns and has had as much impact as a squirrel at the Nuremberg Trials. 6 years is just too long of a time to show not much, if he was around the 4 year mark Id be agreeing completely but with reservations still. Like a few above have said, he got the boot from the Dees, who would probably have had a tough time beating the Ararat U14's at the latter part of the season. I reckon ol' Roosy is an astute judge of a footballer and letting him go was probably a no brainer. I think the Cats will find the whole experience fairly un-Bleasant.

throttlefinger · 11/11/2014 at 07:56

Very true, very true. Yeah he wasn't the Blease knees to the Dees. (rhyming double point on pun). My opinion has shifted given opinions like yours and the others. He's a watch list guy who probably start off in the VFL. Only chance is if in preseason he comes out with both guns bleazing

Phat Phuc · 12/11/2014 at 11:33

I think this man is recruited for Geelong VFL team.

WombatsFC · 15/11/2014 at 10:56

Ahh the Vomitron is now a cat.
Well written Throttle, thanks. I expected a lot more from Sam in 2014 but he didn't seem capable of taking the next step. I was wrapped when the Cats picked him up because it meant Mick Madhouse didn't grab him but I reckon the cats fans might have been saying WTF.
IMO the only thing this bloke will increase at Kardinia Park is the number of dead grass patches on the training track.

whomovedmycheesepdf.com · 13/01/2015 at 07:05

The author, Spencer Johnson, shuts guide with

the financially rewarding idea that celebrity story functions most effectively

when everybody in the organization recognizes the tale.