Big man up forward – Time for a fresh start

Big Ben - a man on a missionWhen Jarrad Waite asked to be traded the Kangaroos in the off-season it caught me off guard. I, like many others, have always thought the big man would start and finish his career at Visy Park. That being said, I think him moving to North Melbourne was actually a good thing for both parties. Jarrad has a fresh start at a team that considers itself in a premiership window and Carlton because they got free agency compensation….. oh wait, they didn’t.

Carlton expected a third round pick as compensation for losing the big guy but were bitterly disappointed when they received nothing. In my opinion I think they were on the money with a third rounder, I feel he will add a fair bit of depth to the North forward line in the next two years.

2015 Price: $491,800
2015 Position: FWD
Games last season: 16
Average last season: 91.50
100+ games last season: 6
Sub 80 games last season: 5
Price range last season: $406K – $522K
Missed games last season: Missed rounds 4, 7, 8, 15 -17 Suspensions/ omissions
Significant history: Ranked 9th marks inside 50 per game
Ranked 11th in contested marks
Drafted at pick 2, 2008 draft

CLICK HERE FOR ALL OF OUR SUPERCOACH 2015 PLAYER PREVIEWS

Jarrad Waite is an interesting figure to review. If you looked at his points per game average last year alone, you would consider it a pretty decent season and if you picked him up at the $406K mark (confirmed price $491,800) you could say it was a success.

But with players like Waite comes on field decisions that he regrets. He was suspended a couple of times in 2014 and was omitted from the squad based on form.

RISK FACTOR

Waite has two undeniably visible risk factors associated with him. Firstly is his age and as we know with age often comes niggling injuries. Not everyone can run around the field into their fifties injury free like Boomer and Fletch (gotta love those two vets).

Secondly is, as touched on earlier, his on field decisions which has seen him being sidelined many times in the past. When it comes to Fantasy Football, you need players on the field scoring and that is difficult if you are watching from the sidelines. last season?)

SELECTION PURPOSE

If you were considering bringing Jarrad Waite into your line up it would be with the hope that a fresh start will do the guy wonders. There is no doubting he has immense talent on the field and has, on occasion, gone large.

With big Drew Petrie standing next to him down forward next year it will free him up from the number one defender and could improve his points output. He can also swing into the back line on occasion and take those hulking big marks

THE GOOD

• Knows how to kick a goal or two
  • Has the skill with the pill in hand to impact games at the right time
  • Will have an ally in Drew Petrie in the forward line next year
  • A fresh start in a side pushing for a premiership

THE DOWNSIDE

• On field demeanor and the possibility of multiple suspensions again
  • Getting a bit older, let’s hope the body holds up well
  •  Inconsistency. Averages 90 one year, 70 the next – Rinse and repeat

THE VERDICT

A great move for Waite heading across town in the off season. With a fresh start comes a fresh chance and no bad blood at the new club. I hope that Waite can at least continue his average of 91 for the year and with any luck could push a little higher. At this stage I am not going to draft the big man into Big Ben FC

What are your thoughts on Jarrad Waite?

Big Ben

Twitter: @Big_BenFC

BECOME A JOCK MEMBER – EXTENDED LENGTH MONTHLY PODCASTS

AFL Supercoach Legend Jock Reynolds
This article has been penned by an elite Supercoach analyst hand picked from the talent pool of the Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Community. He has stood up within our community as a man of fantasy substance, and has displayed the spirit of togetherness, positivity and community that we value significantly.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 07/11/2014 at 07:00

Nice one Double B. But I wouldn’t have the patience for the big fella. Injury & suspension should have had Calton sponsored by Jenny Craig for the amount of Waite loss.

General Soreness · 07/11/2014 at 09:06

I see what you did there and I like it

jockreynolds · 07/11/2014 at 22:30

Genius Pie

Chicko · 07/11/2014 at 07:46

I tell you what BB, you got me completely by surprise on his average, I would have guessed he was a low 80's player, but alas, I was totally misguided, uninformed and looking like a bumbling booby – not the first time in my life that has happened by the way. Whilst his average is higher than I expected, I think there is better value elsewhere for that coin – moreover, better consistency and durability elsewhere. Top article mate.

General Soreness · 07/11/2014 at 09:07

Ditto, Chicko, his average surprised me as well, but still and emphatic no from me.

Seaford Scouse · 20/11/2014 at 08:27

Almost fell off my seat when I saw the big fellas name next on the list and like most it seems took me by surprise to see his average which should put him into consideration but he just seems so disinterested at times it’s as though he can’t wait to get off the Oval to sniff out hungrys with hibbo, (although he was at Carlton!) Bloody he’ll this watch list is starting get to bulk up already, preseason review earned on the back of your piece BB, so thanks, I think! 🙂

General Soreness · 07/11/2014 at 09:10

Nice work BB. Agree wholeheartedly with the NO! Breaks the wrong side of 30 rule and my no dickheads policy so is never in consideration. Whilst I think Carlton are stiff given that compensation is available, I do not think there should be compensation as part of free agency. Based on the system we are in it is clear North have him on a paltry sum for 1 year.

General Soreness · 07/11/2014 at 10:05

Of course that should say 2 years instead of 1 year.

throttlefinger · 07/11/2014 at 10:04

Well done, Big B.

Interesting case for Wacko Waite. Lots of upside yet his apparent need to go apeshit and get suspended makes him a tough sell for the moola. And is this the year for the 70? Definitely a wait and see candidate at best.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 07/11/2014 at 11:21

Wacko Waite. Youve hit the nail on the head there throttle. From memory he posted some big scores towards the end of the season which has inflated his average. He will suck a few in but this this well educated crew.

Itchy Nuts Pieman · 07/11/2014 at 11:22

not this I should say

throttlefinger · 07/11/2014 at 21:01

He will suck many. Spot-on reviews like Double B's will help put all of us on firmer ground come January.

@TG_Footy_Tragic · 07/11/2014 at 10:35

Hit the nail on the Head BB.

Emphatic NO for mine also!
Too inconsistent, and too loose with the fists for a spot in SoapOnARope.

Ripping piece.

lostlarrikin · 07/11/2014 at 12:04

Great stuff BB.
Yeah waay too risky, with suspensions plus regular sub 80 games to shart all over ur fwd line.
A big NO.

Will be interesting to see how that Roo front half slots together with Brown also emerging as a target in there.
Surely not enough room up there for Hansen, The Dish, Brown and Waite. Wood n Daw also creeking on the sidelines waiting to be freed up.

@BarronVonCrow · 07/11/2014 at 12:21

Jarrad Waite?

I'll let Rodger field this one.

Big_BenFC · 07/11/2014 at 13:13

Cheers lads, his average is indeed surprising but a little to much time on the sidelines for mine

Dools · 07/11/2014 at 13:28

Good stuff BB,
J Waite Age 31 will be 32 next season
The last time he completed a season ie played 22 games was 2007 (Blues lost 18/19 games) his AVG was 82. Next year he missed the bye round (R10) Blues ended up 11 and 11 I think AVG 98
Since 2009 he has missed 50 plus games that's two and a bit seasons added up folks
2009 played 9 (Blues were 4 and 5) AVG 95 , 2010 played 15 AVG 87, 2011 played 12 AVG 78,
I think I went back to far! his stats are slewed as he never finish's a season from here on in.
It looks like he can play…..When he wants to…..Injury, Suspension, now coupled with a new team,
On the High Alter (Insert Fridge) of SC in a loud and ringing " A cappella" (Italian for "in the manner of the church" or "in the manner of the chapel) a lone castrati voice (If you pick him in 2015) Nooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!
To the Alter! I mean "To the fridge!!"

jockreynolds · 07/11/2014 at 16:59

There you have it! Last full season 2007 goodness me. Noooooooooooooooooo! haa ha

jockreynolds · 07/11/2014 at 16:58

Beautiful Big Ben. An out and out NO from me as well – if there's one thing I ask of a player, even at this price range, is something resembling predictability. Nup. Ripping write up son.

Phil · 07/11/2014 at 17:32

Great review….It started as a no and nothing in the review or comments has convinced me to put him on the watchlist so remains a definite no for me.

With Petrie, Black, Tarrant & Brown all on there list, would he be a chance to play in defence (like his early Carlton days) and lift his scoring ability? Probably not…. Loving these reviews by the way lads, first thing I think of after work. No excuses in 2015!!!!

Big_BenFC · 07/11/2014 at 20:00

Phil, from memory he played a bit in Defence at the Baggers recently… Might be a chance

Blueprime · 08/11/2014 at 00:51

he's not worth the waite.

taylorwoof · 09/11/2014 at 13:45

At 494K Waite would need to be a keeper, and he's simply not.

Could see coaches taking a punt on him in SC Draft, but in the real stuff nope.

No idea what Brad Scott and Co have in mind. Forward line with possibly Petrie, Brown, Waite, Black/Tarrant looks too top heavy for mine.