Analysis of the Port Adelaide v Essendon game:

Essendon looked like they were gonna stomp a mudhole in Port early on, but couldn’t convert their chances, kicking 3.8 in the first quarter. The rest of the game was all Port Adelaide. Some notes from the game.

• Justin Westhoff kicked 5.1 (also got a freebie from Baguley), but also moved down the ground. Ended with 14 possessions and 9 marks. Looked very good.
  • Jared Polec looked superb – Plenty of run and carry and a terrific kick on him too. Looking like he’ll be a midfield M6-7-8 (depending on your structures) for plenty of sides.
  • Matty Lobbe – Had 51% TOG – Was only good for 5 possessions, but had 18 hitouts.
  • Dyson Heppell – Plenty of the ball and 7 tackles. Would have no hesitation picking him if he was still DEF eligible.
  • Paul Chapman – Didn’t look out of place at all – Still worry about the “16 game” resting theory.
  • Tom Clurey – 14 possessions, 11 marks, 100% DE – If he plays Rd 1 he will likely earn a bench spot in my side.
  • Jarman Impey – Hard to judge – Played 47% TOG tonight, 63% against Adelaide – Defending small forwards (Jetta tonight) might limit his scores?
  • Zach Merrett – 34% TOG – 9 possies, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 2 Inside 50’s, 88.9% DE – Still on my radar

Barron Von Crow

Download Barron’s completed PORT v ESS NAB School Worksheet

@RyanRhino14 · 26/02/2014 at 10:19

thoughts on broadbent

PJ8 · 26/02/2014 at 10:50

Played well last night. For memory he has been used as a run with player in the past. He may go back to that in the H&A season.

Justin · 27/02/2014 at 00:32

With a first round over 2 weeks – how are you coping with this split round ??

PJ8 · 26/02/2014 at 10:23

Ariel Steinberg 29

Jackson Merrett 25

Jason Ashby 22

Andrew Moore 21

Jarman Impey 17

PJ8 · 26/02/2014 at 10:30

A couple of things I noticed:

Wingard – 49% game time for 78 points is very good (12 disposals) I really love watching this kid. He will defiantly get more attention than last year but very close to slotting him in.

Hibberd – I have had him for a few weeks now. Subbed out with Hamstring tightness, Bomber said he will be fine. 35% game time for 45 points (9 disposals 89% eff).

Any thoughts on these?

Sarah · 26/02/2014 at 10:32

I like both of them and have had Hibberd in from the start… he's never been cut from my initial draft of my team… so really hoping he gets up for round 1.

I'd love to pick Wingard but don't think I have the guts to do so until I see how he handles the increased attention.

zimmerbd · 26/02/2014 at 13:03

I have Hibberd in at the moment. Hamstring tightness with Essendon's "history" makes me wary though (esp. being a Bombers supporter). Will have to work out a back up plan I reckon.

Kenny Powers · 26/02/2014 at 13:44

Will Wingard actually get that much more attention this season? By the middle of last year he was being spruiked as an All Australian and I'm sure he was heavily studied by the opposition as a result of that form. What happened last year in Port games was that their untagged play-makers/runners regularly got off the leash in such a way that the other team's tagger would have to be moved onto them which obviously freed up the previously tagged player. With that in mind, I'm not convinced he will get tagged out of too many games.

PJ8 · 26/02/2014 at 14:00

Fair point Kenny, I hope he can be 100 point scorer again this year.

Harrison · 26/02/2014 at 10:50

Thought's Lobbe is he still worth being R1
My team:

Apeness is my cover if Sandi gets injured or makes enough cash for upgrade to ???,.

Zorko, Dahlhaus, and Darling could go either Mitchell/Parker?Franklin/Gunston?Bruest who knows

Will bring Pendles in after R8 by upgrading 2 rooks to him + rookie

My main goal would be to bring in Pendle, GAJ, Minson and Martin in around the byes

Stacked my DEF/FWD with Prems/Midpricers
Rucks Lobbe Sandi 80% sure it will work
MIDS 4 rookies means 6 cash generators in the mid, also GAJ Fyfe Cotchin Murphy Thomas and Beams are all locks

To look at after nab cub games
Shuey???
Dal Santo???
Libba???
T. Mitchell???
P. Ryder???

How could I manage picking up players like: PENDLES, Minson, Franklin, Ryder, Libba, Dal Santo, DELEDIO throughout the season??

Hope they drop in price: Pendlebury, Deledio, Minson, Hanely, and Libba

My team consists of 13 rookies, 9 Premiums, 8 Midpricers.

DEF: Hanley Mitchell, Grimes Enright, C, Suckling, McDonald. L, Langford, Georgiou. A, Clurey

MID:
Ablett, G, T, Cotchin, Murphy M, Beams,Thomas Polec,J , Crouch, M,. Fyfe Dunstan, L, Ellis, X

Rucks
Hickey, Sandi, Thurlow, F, Derickx

Forwards
Dangerfield, Parker J,Dahlhaus. L, Darling, J, Zorko, D, Kennedy-Harris, J, Kersten, S,Apeness

Round 8:8
Round 9:9
Round 10:13

Philthy · 26/02/2014 at 11:30

I have L McDonald, G Rohan and now seemingly Polec in my side, too many 170-180k players? who should go? Like them for job security and consistent early points more than anything

Rocksta · 26/02/2014 at 11:51

I have all three myself.
    I don't think any of them should go

PJ8 · 26/02/2014 at 11:52

I have all 3 as well. Don't think it's too many players in that bracket Philthy.

Last year or any other year I would of said yes, but this year with the new pricing structure things have changed. This is the first year of this new structure and we won't know what the best SC tactic is until later in the year.

I wouldn't worry mate

Grufflez · 26/02/2014 at 12:05

Nah, i'll be looking at a few 150-180k rookies 4/5/6 and then a few 117-123k ones myself im just staying away from a lot of these 200k-250k blokes…no mans land i reckon.

I don't like paying 175k for Rohan either but until a better option comes along it will have to do.
    Its all about Job Security mate if i have to pay a touch more for it i don't mind.

Philthy · 26/02/2014 at 12:33

Thanks guys, geez our sides are looking different this year!!

My midfield might have GAJ and then 5 X 480-550k, daisy, polec and 2 rooks.

Banking on a couple of the guys like Beams, Priddis, Shuey, Murphy, Dal, Prestia, Hanley, Dusty, Bennell etc. being potential keepers for the year without need for upgrading.

Think i'll be spreading my cash across most lines

DEF 2.5M, MID 3.5M, R 1M, FWD 3M

Kev · 26/02/2014 at 13:13

I'm iffy on rohan personally. His price rise will be a slow burn as he doesn't get much of it

Kev · 26/02/2014 at 13:14

*that should be up with Philthy's comment

Cameron · 26/02/2014 at 13:52

True, at this point, im thrilled just to have a forward rookie who will get games

Guest · 26/02/2014 at 11:46

Super Coach on crack or regarding Clurey's score?

100% d/e + 11 marks. add 12 kicks and it shouldn't add up to 70 lol's

theazzyg · 26/02/2014 at 11:55

But were they junk time kicks across half back?

PJ8 · 26/02/2014 at 12:00

I did see that as well but that's the beauty of Super coach and why we love it. If Champion Data don't think the output of a player during the game influenced the result of that game, you don't get points.

So he may of got a lot of those disposals and marks in junk time when the game was over or his kicks where backwards etc.

Also he only had one contested disposal they may of had something to do with it as well.

MarcuJ · 26/02/2014 at 11:56

i have impey in my squad but 4 possies for half a game? ?
im struggling for rookie forwards atm
no one is getting game time or playing well

PJ8 · 26/02/2014 at 12:02

I think we all are. Will just have to wait and see Rd1 teams. If Impey or any rookie is struggling to get game time in a NAB game, they are pretty much no hope in the H&A season.

MarcuJ · 26/02/2014 at 12:14

am i correct in saying honeychurch hasn't had a run yet? (i haven't seen him)

Sarah · 26/02/2014 at 12:17

Yeah, he hasn't played yet. hoping he does tonight.

PJ8 · 26/02/2014 at 12:20

I hope so Sarah. We need him to play well and get a Rd1 game. He is in the squad of 29 but 3 of those will still not play. No sign of Fuller either.

Sarah · 26/02/2014 at 12:23

Not so sure about that. I count a few potential forward rookies: Merrett, Lloyd, JKH, McDonough, McCarthy (Cats)… it's the backline that's overly thin for rookies.
            We need Fuller more than Honeychurch.

PJ8 · 26/02/2014 at 13:48

Just saw that JHK is not the the Dee's squad for the NAB game on Friday.

Sarah · 26/02/2014 at 13:51

Saw that. Bit annoying but he did play NAB 1 and their intra-club practice match. I still think he'll be named Round 1. On a good note, Georgiou was named!

SCaddict · 26/02/2014 at 16:02

Reckon the Melbourne members would burn down the G if he doesn't play in the opening rounds.

Very likely he's just being managed in preparation for a huge season.

MarcuJ · 26/02/2014 at 13:53

yeah i just saw that. plus side is there is prob a spot in cats fwd line with vardy going down. also H Mac is getting a run which is good

Derek · 26/02/2014 at 16:07

if HMac doesn't look good, I will have to restructure my entire team.

MarcuJ · 26/02/2014 at 12:23

my D6 and F6 position is doing my head in currently.
hopefully a rookie will burst through in the last few games and give us some confidence
im hoping kennedy harris is that man lol

PJ8 · 26/02/2014 at 12:28

D6? McDonald? Or do you have him at D5?

JKH is the man currently for F6 hope that doesn't change cause there is not a lot of other options at the moment.

MarcuJ · 26/02/2014 at 12:38

yeah d5 lol

PJ8 · 26/02/2014 at 12:45

Depending how the DEF rookies go you might need to re-structure your DEF and make him D6. Another mid-price player like R. Shaw

MarcuJ · 26/02/2014 at 13:52

i am one of those weird people that don't have suckling, so if i need to re structure then he is my mid price fall back option

Grufflez · 26/02/2014 at 15:22

Mate i'm not sold on Suckling either but he is a better option than Shaw,don't know about Darley yet either and Docherty is injured…so i don't see any better options around 250-325k for D5.
            Kinda like Rohan atm filling a void.

Derek · 26/02/2014 at 16:05

Pittard looked alright the other night. He is around Sucklings price.

Simon · 26/02/2014 at 16:20

Left field choice could by schoenmakers- coming back from injury, bulked up like crazy, Lake is suspended first 3 rounds

Rhubarb_Ronin · 27/02/2014 at 19:34

Been seriously looking at Yeo over Suckling. Liked a lot of his season last year and think he’ll improve with the Eagles. Less risk of breaking down but less likely to score in the same range – happy to roll the dice for now and review my structures once Rd1 hits.

Cameron · 26/02/2014 at 15:15

Are there actually DEF Rookies this year? Who's actually inline to play?

PJ8 · 26/02/2014 at 15:27

McDonald, K. Kolod, Cutler, Langdon, Fuller, Clurey, Langford, Georgiou, J. Tippet, Cameron have all been mentioned throughout pre-season to play. Wait to see Rd1

Tom · 26/02/2014 at 17:38

Mid Bench-Ellis,Crouch
For- Dangerfield, Wingard, Mitchell,Zorko, Taylor, Kennedy-Harris
For Bench- Lennon,Honeychurch
Ruc- Lobbe,Sandilands
Ruc Bench-Nankervis, Thurlow

Kev · 26/02/2014 at 19:15

Lennon has been sent off for surgery mate. Won't play until mid year possibly

Tom · 26/02/2014 at 17:33

$155,800 remaining

Philthy · 26/02/2014 at 17:39

Everitt?

That back line will give you serious heartburn Tom, use your cash left and turn Everitt into a Hurn or McKenzie, it means you have to put faith in Sandi but so will most others

Tom · 26/02/2014 at 17:54

yeah put mckenzie in, what do u think about Ellis to Polec or just leave it?

Philthy · 26/02/2014 at 17:59

Ellis will break down for sure, not sure either will be used much but Polec has age on his side in a young team so i'd be going Polec

Tom · 26/02/2014 at 18:01

if not them should i go down to a cheaper rookie who will get some game time
          , suggestions?

Philthy · 26/02/2014 at 18:11

Not necessarily mate, As sure as Wayno getting blind this Friday night a cheaper rook will pop up in Rd1 teams and either Ellis or Polec will get a vest if you pick them! your decision will be made for you in about 16 days time!! Hold fire!!

Tom · 26/02/2014 at 18:18

Will do!! What do think of Kolodjashnij in the back line hasent played a game yet and think of pulling the trigger, thought mabey Tom Clurey or another to fill, thoughts?

Philthy · 26/02/2014 at 18:41

leave KK until certain not picked Rd1, you can only save $ trading him down rather than finding $ to get him in

PJ8 · 27/02/2014 at 07:53

KK has hamstring injury. Very doubtful for Rd1.

McClungeMagnet · 26/02/2014 at 17:42

Great Worksheet from the Barron. Still not sure who I'll pick out of Polec and Ellis.
Both around 170k who will rise the most in price?
Love to hear everyone's thoughts

Philthy · 26/02/2014 at 18:02

both top 5 draft picks…….

86 games in 8 years vs.16 games in 3 years……

toss a coin

Rocksta · 26/02/2014 at 19:17

I've got both.
    Rather have them than Any of the first year Rookies on the field

Simon · 26/02/2014 at 20:41

Have both ATM, with ellis on the bench and have claye beams on field with polec

WinningSCTeam · 26/02/2014 at 17:56

Team at the moment: $39,700 left over.
DEF – Mitchell, Simpson, Swallow, Suckling, R Shaw, L McDonald (T Clurey?, T Langdon?)
MID – Ablett, Watson, Cotchin, D Beams, D Thomas, Polec, D Sheed, Ellis, (Michie?, M Crouch?
RUC – H Mac, Sandilands, (Dericks?, Thurlow?)
FOR – Dangerfield, Wingard, Mitchell, Gray, Pavlich, Porplyzia (L Taylor?, JKH)

Kev · 26/02/2014 at 19:21

Question mark for me over hmac. Will be managed over the course of the year. Coupled with Sandi and you could be heading for a world of pain there.

judd0 · 26/02/2014 at 20:46

Agree with Kev, could be a great POD but is a massive huge quantum risk. If you have big balls go for it.

Philthy · 26/02/2014 at 21:50

I can't see how the risk has overall helped your team, lots of risk on all lines, looks like way too many future trades, ask yourself how many you see being in your team at year end

Tim · 26/02/2014 at 19:27

Dools, throttle finger, jimbotraralgon, scaddict, John bruyen to all you supercoach legends if you guys have a spare league I would enjoy having you company in my league 🙂 if anyone else wants to come into this too they are welcome.
Cheers.

Tim · 26/02/2014 at 19:27

Cheers.
504402

judd0 · 26/02/2014 at 20:28

Watson didn't even look like he was trying and had a few clangers and still knocked up 94 points.

Jacko · 26/02/2014 at 21:26

If you had to pick one.. Would you choose Lobbe or Ryder?

WinningSCTeam · 26/02/2014 at 22:05

after last night Ryder all day long.

rollingthunder · 26/02/2014 at 22:15

I dont wanna use young lads language like Wayno but geeeees……….. sandi- that mutha fuc#er is a lock!!!!!!!

Derek · 26/02/2014 at 22:49

I’m upset sandi and Pav played so well tonight. They have been in my team from the start, now more people will be climbing onto the bandwagon

SCannonymous · 27/02/2014 at 05:29

I've had Lobbe in as R1 for a while, but I'm a bit concerned that Renouf might be part of Port's plans for two ruckman. They played a half each with similar possessions and 18 and 16 hit outs respectively. Any thoughts?

PJ8 · 27/02/2014 at 08:00

I have been having the same concern regarding Lobbe. I want my R1 to be a sole ruckman for there team and play 80%+ game time in the ruck. Looking at last year, Port did this with Lobbe and he scored well therefore me selecting Lobbe pretty early this pre-season. But after the NAB games I am too worried about Renouf playing as well.

I don't think Port will play 2 ruck's (more hopeful). All teams have been playing 2 ruck's in NAB. Even WB and North. Campbell has been helping Minson and Currie helping Goldstein.

Derek · 27/02/2014 at 10:04

Renouf was a premiership ruckman at hawks in 2008. He is good.

Grufflez · 27/02/2014 at 11:45

lol nah they give game time to blokes who won't see any during the season..like D.Curry last year….disregard NAB

@BarronVonCrow · 27/02/2014 at 12:21

I've read it as they DON'T want to have to play Renouf in the actual H&A season, so why risk an injury to Lobbe during the NAB Cup? Redden is out with an LTI, and if Lobbe goes down in a nothing game then that's a big blow.

WombatsFC · 28/02/2014 at 23:28

IMO they were seeing if Renouf was the best option in case lobbe breakdown and redden not recover, i.e. was he still up to it or should we find someone else.

I reckon he'll be managed in SANFL to ensure that he's ready to fill a spot whenever required, either to give Lobbe a rest or to enable Lobbe to counter another mobile ruckman/midfielder. Lobbe has NicNat potential.