3 burning Supercoach Dt questions.

The topic of this week’s poll is controversial.

The man in question instills feelings of nausea within most of us. If you are a bit squeamish you might be well advised to close this page now. I just mentioned this bloke’s name to the The Crouching One and he’s unleashed the most furious combination of fly kicks into the wheelie bin I’ve ever seen.

As fantasy footballers we need to face our fears head on. We need to push through pain and investigate every option as sick as it might make us. We talked about the merits of a “point of difference” this year in this week’s podcast (listen in here)- a year where many of us have the same type of team and it is for this reason that I’ll put this question out to the community.. one we didn’t discuss in the podcast…

Greg Broughton.

Still here? Try not be be angry and just focus now. He’s scored 127 and 96 in his last couple. He’s only $386,400 in Supercoach. They look as if they’ve found a nice role for him – he did well on Jamie Elliot on the weekend. And we all know that Gold Coast have an absolutely magnificent finals run (Melbourne, Port, St Kilda, GWS). He’s also got that DEF/FWD eligibility that matches up with Staker.

Is Greg Broughton a reasonable Supercoach POD option at $386,400?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Rocksta · 22/07/2013 at 12:27

Imagine being in your leagues GF having to rely on the king of the burnmen as your D6/F6?
My Plums are simply not big enough for that Jock!

Pieman1978 · 22/07/2013 at 13:04

I have his picture on my dart board

The Orginal Burn Man · 22/07/2013 at 13:32

Get me in!

Camo · 22/07/2013 at 14:15

Only for the most robust of plum coach i think!!!

Remy · 22/07/2013 at 14:16

Is Duff Man a valid trade in option for Goodesy?

throttlefinger · 22/07/2013 at 21:08

Valid but not the best trade. R. Henderson and Ellis would probably give you a more consistent output.

Remy · 23/07/2013 at 07:45

Okay, Thanks.
      I reckon I'll go Goodes to Ellis and Watson to Jack Steven….. Good trade?

throttlefinger · 23/07/2013 at 07:58

Jack Steven has been a beast. Nice POD. Can he keep it going is the question. Hanneberry has been on fire. Save you some $. Another person on fire is Libratore. Has been 120+ last two games.

Remy · 23/07/2013 at 17:49

I have Hannebery;) He's finally coming good!
          Even though he's had a great season anyway, but now he's really starting to pump out some big scores.

I like Libba, but I just see Jack Steven as the better option in my eyes. Who's in your midfield throttlefinger??

throttlefinger · 23/07/2013 at 19:31

Gazza, Pendles, Swan, Griffen, JPK, Mundy, Deledio, O'Keefe (Mitchell and Couch). Not doing bad. But will have to pull extra weight with no trades and Goodes, Hanley and Bartel out. Uggggh.

Remy · 23/07/2013 at 21:54

Ripping midfield you've got there.
              However, no trades! O boy!
              ATM I have only 3 trades……
              and this is what my midfield looks like…..
              Gary, Pendles, Swan, Selwood, Kennedy, J. Steven, Hannebery and Jac. Redden….

throttlefinger · 23/07/2013 at 22:24

That''s a killer mid as well, Remy.

First year doing SC. Made a SHITLOAD of mistakes. Probably cost me making finals. But had a blast.

THESALTSHAKERS · 22/07/2013 at 14:23

You're clearly drunk Jock – no way, never again, do not be fooled

ShinbonerSpirit · 22/07/2013 at 14:37

I wouldn't touch him with a twenty foot pole.

Jack · 22/07/2013 at 14:47

Defense has been a total shambles this season. Grimes out injured, Dixon in .. yeah, that worked! Got one score .. held him but eventually succumbed and traded Birchall in .. got one week out of him too!! So brought Gibbs in 3 weeks ago only to be rewarded with scores of 59, 69 and 60 .. that's what I call getting BURNT MAN!! Malthouse might be trying to teach him something by making him a run-with tagger but coming into finals it scares me enough to stain the Reg Grundies!!!

Rocksta · 22/07/2013 at 23:07

Agree Jack!
    If Mick persists with trying to convert him to a run with tagger, his scores will be low for the rest of the year.
    It took Scott Selwood a couple of years before he learnt to get his own ball whilst tagging, and Crowley is only starting to do it now after several years of tagging. Same with Daniel Jackson.
    Mick, please stop!

Chippa · 23/07/2013 at 18:07

Jack, this is a carbon copy of my trades in the backline aswell. Burn Burn Burn.

Jack · 23/07/2013 at 18:18

And now bloody Hanley is in the bungalow for a couple!!!!

You say me dis · 22/07/2013 at 16:41

BURNMAN!!

smittzzy · 22/07/2013 at 17:38

Griffen or Barlow? Taking into account Barlows soft run home? Need help!

ShinbonerSpirit · 22/07/2013 at 18:19

Purely scoring wise, Ryan Griffen. He's essentially Dangerfield all over again. Carrying a struggling team on his back. Turns it on against tough opposition. However, I'm a couple of grand short of Griff, so I'm 'settling' with the mercurial Barlow.

Remy · 22/07/2013 at 19:49

If you are looking for a POD Shinboner IMO Jack Steven could be the difference…… Owned by 1.6% of Supercoachers……. Season highs of 161, 150, 133, 127, 126 and he's lowest score was only 79….. Averaging nearly 108.

ShinbonerSpirit · 22/07/2013 at 20:08

Yep, was seriously considering him when he was in his high 490s, a while back, but had other issues to worry about. Thanks mate.

Remy · 22/07/2013 at 20:24

No problem, happy to help!
          I reckon he has a spot in my side;)

throttlefinger · 22/07/2013 at 20:52

Griffen for sure. Gave him up and regretted it ever since. Barlow has been playing less than stellar since returning from injury (and other key players returning).

Super_Freak · 22/07/2013 at 18:30

Definately Griffen. Only 3 scores under 100 for the season. Ball Magnet. Pricey though

Rocksta · 22/07/2013 at 19:12

if you go Barlow, his BE this week is over 140. Better thus to wait a week if you can. That said, not sure whom you are trading out and their respective BE situation.
    As most people have limited trades at this point of the year, the more cash you can retain the better.

Sam · 23/07/2013 at 22:02

Going through the same decision, but with 5 of Griffen's last 6 games being at Etihad (plus a little Doggies bias) im going Griff

Jimbo · 22/07/2013 at 18:16

Had Broughton at the start of the year and held him till about round 8. Big mistake to get him in the first place. Although I got daisy in for Broughton to only play one game.

Super_Freak · 22/07/2013 at 18:32

Massive Burnman!

Duke · 22/07/2013 at 18:36

Goodes gone, 1 trade left, 900 bucks(terrible) in the bank. Thinking of swinging Staker back into defence, and bringing in Michael Walters from Freo into my forward line. Freo with the soft finals run. Thoughts?

Final team going into finals if I make that trade would be:

Defenders: Goddard, H Taylor, Shaw, Gibbs, McKenzie, Staker, Wright and Thurlow bench(struggling there)

Mid: Ablett, Pendles, Swan, Kennedy, Cotch, Priddis, Mundy, T Mitchell, B Kennedy and K Martin bench (again, strugging there on the bench)

Rucks: Roughy, Nicholls, Hannath and Naismith bench.

Forwards: Bartel, Cox, Kennedy, Cloke, Buddy, Brent Harvey, Michael Walters and J Daniher on the bench

Got some issues with my bench cover, but if my on field guys can perform, I'll hopefully be able to give finals a crack

Dools · 23/07/2013 at 08:07

Young fella from Freo is a very valid SC choice I had him until enforced injury trade and I’m thinking of getting him back in to my side to replace Nic Nat

But with one trade left you are in the Hurt Locker mate. Wait until teams are named I think Thurlow will get another game for Geelong thus negating the need to trade Goodes out ….This week

Duke · 23/07/2013 at 14:38

Cheers mate.

I don't see Thurlow getting a regular game, unfortunately. I'll see how he goes. If he doesn't get a game, I'll cop a zero on the bench, and I'm not sure I want to do that. Should make the 8 in 2 leagues, and on the fringe in another 2. Testing times. If all else fails, think I will go with Walters.
      Lack of trades is killing me. Wasteful trading at the beginning of the season after choosing my team last minute. Rookie mistake

Tim · 22/07/2013 at 19:15

What are yous going on about the kids a gun i have decided to bring him in for goodes so now i have Shaw,Mckenzie,Enright,Hanley,Heppell,Thompson

Tim · 22/07/2013 at 19:16

Not thompson broughton

Rocksta · 22/07/2013 at 19:23

?

mathew · 22/07/2013 at 19:50

1 trade left and it looks like a goodes +20k trade meaning my options im considering are:
h.taylor
d.heppel
hibberd
l.henderson (dpp could come in handy with staker fwd and in great form although may be bias)

leaning toward either henderson or taylor
who is the most likely to perform in the run home?

throttlefinger · 22/07/2013 at 21:06

Agree with MRB37. Ricky H would be a solid POD and is playing strong.

@MRB37 · 22/07/2013 at 19:53

Ricky Henderson might be a good POD to consider if you don't like the Burnman. Average of 113 over his last 4 with a huge 160 last week. Playing as the loose man in defense, looking very good in that roll. Still a reasonable price at 419K too.

Ross · 22/07/2013 at 20:18

Duff Man or Brandon Ellis?
Who's a better pick?

throttlefinger · 22/07/2013 at 20:51

Would go Ellis. Duff is coming back from injury and you never know how much he'll get given Lyon's D schemes. Ellis is playing better each week. Sure he'll hit a ton this round.

Rocksta · 22/07/2013 at 21:11

Wait another week and go The Duffman.
    Just needs the match practice to get his fitness to the required standard. Remember, he is very much the running rebounding defender and thus fitness levels of the utmost importance.
    I reckon he will blitz come SC finals

Jimbo · 22/07/2013 at 21:32

Hey community, With the defenders SC points up and down this season is it worth changing anyone in my back line,
I Have
Heppell Goddard, Malceski, Harlett, Shaw and Gibbs and one trade left.

Any thoughts?

Osh · 22/07/2013 at 21:59

I wouldn't change anything to that backline because you only have one trade left. It is better to just keep that trade up your sleeve for injuries or suspensions.

Valks · 23/07/2013 at 06:44

Sorry that should be a tumb up! I agree with osh. Stupid iPad.

chink · 22/07/2013 at 21:54

go home jock you're drunk

tension · 22/07/2013 at 22:56

settle down you flaming mongrel. that's the father of fantasy you are talking to. provocative questions is what this community is all about.

suns are in great form too – so it's a legitimate question.

Osh · 22/07/2013 at 21:57

Who should I start this week at M8: T.Mitchell or Jaeger? Have To do this because of suspension to Bartel.

Rocksta · 22/07/2013 at 22:09

Start with Bartell on the ground and the 'E' on Jaegar.
    If Jaegar scores well, leave as is. If he doesn't, swap Bartell onto your bench and bring T.Mitchell on to the field before the start of the Geelong Game later on the Saturday. This is only possible because Geelong and Sydney play after GC.Its called 'The emergency loophole'.

Osh · 22/07/2013 at 22:54

Cheers mate will do!!!!!

Remy · 23/07/2013 at 19:30

Rocksta your a genius!

Rocksta · 23/07/2013 at 20:07

Wouldn't quite go that far Remy but thank you.

With all the injuries I've had this year, I have had to get creative.

Jason · 23/07/2013 at 12:20

4 trades left, still have Dangerfield.

Have $49k in the bank so I can straight swap him for pretty much anyone (already have Gablett and Pendles).

Should I trade for a Swan or Griffen this week? Other option is waiting a week for Beams as a POD, and to reassess how much longer Dman is out for

toonking · 23/07/2013 at 14:48

I'd go Barlow myself…

Skippa · 23/07/2013 at 12:26

give it another week to reassess Danger. Plenty more options may open up after that, look for a POD if danger doesnt get up for next week IMO

Tim darbyshire · 23/07/2013 at 15:35

Hi community need a Midfield POD to upgrade crouch has I have Mitchell and hunter. Money is not a problem

Remy · 23/07/2013 at 17:44

Griffen, Pendles, Barlow

Anonymous · 23/07/2013 at 18:24

R Douglas nice POD

Joel · 23/07/2013 at 16:05

I had him at the start of the yearhim at the start of the year, you will regret it!

Skintip · 23/07/2013 at 16:36

So what to do now- B Goodes OUT with broken wrist. Pearce Hanley OUT with fractured hand- can the defence line get any worse?

The Wanderer · 23/07/2013 at 16:38

fortune favours the brave!!

Ben · 23/07/2013 at 17:10

Community, What to do with Hanley?

Remy · 23/07/2013 at 17:29

if you have over 4 trades I reckon he has to go.
    The basics: Goddard, Heppel, Gibbs
    Make them your number one priority.
    Also have a look at B. Ellis, R. Henderson POD (FWD), L. Henderson POD (FWD) and Thompson from Nth.

JB · 23/07/2013 at 18:26

What to do with Hanley, B Goodes, Nic Nat, Shuey, K Martin, J Daniher and Zorko? thoughts …. 5 trades left

throttlefinger · 23/07/2013 at 19:44

Hanley won't help you the rest of SC season. Might if you make it to finals. Goodes is out for certain. Both their values are solid and won't move so if you have coverage, you can wait. NicNat and Zorko…value train will probably be going down. NicNat more due to injury. Zorko, well, because he's Zorko, you could get a ton or a 75. Daniher might come in this week BUT he had two solid games and didn't make it back in. Makes you think he's not on Hird's mind too much. Martin may make it in during GWS (I have him as well. He's in my reserve's book of the month club). My suggestion: get rid of NicNat and either Hanley or Goodes. Hold Daniher and Martin. They should get some time. Shuey…pray he comes back into form.

JB · 23/07/2013 at 19:59

Thnx mate for the indepth analysis, brilliant!

James · 23/07/2013 at 19:04

Keep or trade Hanley? Used my trades this week so have 6 left for next week. Clisby will come on this week but should I trade Hanley next week?

throttlefinger · 23/07/2013 at 19:36

Surgery on the hand…I'd say two weeks would be very optimistic. Even if he did make it back within two, he'd probably be wearing a soft cast from that point. His form certainly won't be up to the standards (or scores) we're use to. If you can trade him, I would. If you have decent coverage, throw him on reserves and roll the dice.

SharkBait · 23/07/2013 at 19:21

Thoughts on getting Corey Enright? he is one of the most consistent players in defense in my opinion and only 25k more than goodes.

Valued Pick?

ShinbonerSpirit · 23/07/2013 at 20:27

Yep, and as Jock likes to say, he has a very low standard 'derivation'. Consistent, and has already had his annual rest.

ShinbonerSpirit · 23/07/2013 at 20:13

Goodes -> Hanley has changed to Goodes -> Lachie Hendo (DPP with Staker). Pretty happy with that.

big fella · 23/07/2013 at 20:27

Time to pull the trigger…Goodes out, Staker to Defence…and in comes CYRIL RIOLI. You gotta risk it to get the biscuit, that's my motto

Rocksta · 23/07/2013 at 20:33

I'd wait 1 more week on that if you can big fella just so Cyril can get another game under his belt.
    But much better to bring in Cyril than The Burnman King Greg Broughton

Skintip · 23/07/2013 at 21:18

Just be prepared for when his hamstring pops in the next few weeks.

Rocksta · 23/07/2013 at 21:37

Yea, thats why it's better to wait at least another week to see how he's progressing.

big fella · 24/07/2013 at 18:37

Now I'm even more worried than when I traded him in, this only confirms my worst fears…maybe one more week wouldn't hurt.

BestCoastEagles · 24/07/2013 at 15:20

Not bad having same thought on Rioli. Risky but the rewards are fantastic if the little big man fires. Waiting a week is not going to change a thing with his hammy as it can go POP anytime. On the other hand he might start to smack out 150's at will. Sometimes you just have to push the envelope i think.

shane · 23/07/2013 at 21:25

Fellas in need of some advice here. Defence in a shambles, it stands at the moment of: Goddard, Hanley, Hartlett, Shaw, Gibbs, Goodes. Goodes is a trade, but to who? I can swing staker and trade him to a FWD, in your opinions whose the best FWD option? I have Walker, Martin, Rockliff, Roughy, Buddy, and B staker onfield. Also trade Hanley? sorry for the onslaught of questions boys. If anyone can help massively appreciated. cheers fellas

ShinbonerSpirit · 23/07/2013 at 21:29

You'd have to trade Hanley and Goodes out, especially the latter. And Hanley comes in halfway through the finals, so that's useless. I'd go double trade to Heppell and maybe Scott Thompson from the Kangas? I can help more if you tell me the amount of trades and cash you have left.

shane · 24/07/2013 at 18:48

Cheers mate. yeah forgot to add, 4 trades and 280k in the kitty. thinking of that heppell, and maybe swing staker to defence and bring in cox? or what you think boys?

Rene · 23/07/2013 at 21:43

Defenders: B.Goddard, D.Heppell, H.Hartlett, H.Shaw, B.Gibbs, B.Goodes, D.Terlich, J.Webster

Midfielders: G.Ablett, S.Pendlebury, D.Swan, M.Barlow, M.Priddis, D.Mundy, N.Fyfe, T.Mitchell, L.Shuey, K.Martin

Rucks: D.Cox, T.Nicholls, M.Blicavs, D.Currie

Forwards: J.Bartel, J.Roughead, T.Rockliff, J.Kennedy, S.Johnson, B.Staker, D.Zorko, J.Daniher

2 trades left and $201,600 in the war chest. What trades should I make or hold?

Rocksta · 23/07/2013 at 21:53

Goodes out, Staker to defence and bring in Walker.
    As Mitchell is doing so well, you can wait on Shuey until you get stuck in the mids if any injuries arise.

luke · 23/07/2013 at 22:06

Hi Jock and community,
My current team prior to round 18 looks like this:

Trades Left: 4 || Remaining Salary Cap: $48, 200

Defense:
Goddard, Heppell, Gibbs, Shaw, Hartlett, Hanley (Clisby, Frost)

Midfield:
Ablett, Pendlebury, Swan, Dangerfield, Selwood, Fyfe, Cotchin, Priddis (Mitchell, Hrovat)

Ruck:
Minson, Nicholls (Mcbean, Currie)

Forward:
Bartel, Cox, Rockliff, Kennedy, Martin, Franklin (Staker, Daniher)

My team is finally full premium and still have 4 trades in the bag. I was planning on saving them for the finals (assuming no injuries or suspensions would pop up before that), but I was terribly wrong. Franklin hasnt played in the last couple of weeks, and dont see him playing any time soon. I was ok with that because of Stakers terrible performance who was able to cover for Franklins absence, but hearing about Bartels 1 week suspension told me I needed to make a trade this week. Seeing as Franklin hasnt performed well at all this season, and is leaking in cash, I have decided to do a side ways swap with him to Andrew Walker, using my extra cash. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions concerning my team?

@joe_ken1 · 24/07/2013 at 09:37

Are you proposing to cover Hanley with Clisby? Hope not. I have heard Franklin is a probable starter this week, if so, you may need to look at either sideways Hanley or upgrading Clisby to a better D7..

luke · 24/07/2013 at 17:57

I dont have much cash, so if Franklin does play, I will probably sideways trade Hanley to someone like Ibbotson. If franklin isnt playing, what do i do then?

nick · 23/07/2013 at 23:54

hay jock got a question for you hanley is out now for 4 weeks would bringing scott d Thompson in for him be a good move or a risk he has a few easy games coming up so should get a few massive scores I hope and also I traded delido for stevie j good trades or not

CHRIS · 24/07/2013 at 00:55

enright

@joe_ken1 · 24/07/2013 at 09:33

Read a decent write up recently on Scotty Thomo – he has Geelong, Essendon, Hawthorn and Collingwood in his final 6 games – meaning he will be playing a lock-down role on Hawkins, Hurley, Buddy and Cloke in each of those games = less chance to rack up cheap marks etc.

Matt · 24/07/2013 at 14:32

I have 2 trades left and have to get rid of Brett Goodes, who would you suggest, I have 495k to spend and my defenders consist of Goddard, Gibbs, S Thompson, Staker, Mckenzie and Goodes (Clisby and Thurlow)

ShinbonerSpirit · 24/07/2013 at 16:39

With that cash, I'd look at Enright or Heppell.

medadsson · 24/07/2013 at 15:15

For pure consistency Corey Enright. Strategy wise perhaps Adcock may increase output as running half back with Hanley out of the side. That would give you some change too.

ShinbonerSpirit · 24/07/2013 at 16:39

Great point! Hadn't thought of that!

BestCoastEagles · 24/07/2013 at 15:53

Posting this once is to many, this is the second time in ten minutes i have come across this. Show some respect for the great man JOCK as you are on his site. What you are doing is using JOCK great site to peddle good of the same ilk. What you are promoting is the same horse but a different jockey (Pardon the pun) I am sure your promotion can be done in a more respectful and meaningful way.

willeeftoo! · 24/07/2013 at 18:07

Like your though Jock but to bloody risky! Its not the time of year to be taking those huge risks, because once there done, theres no way out.

@Jacko2128 · 25/07/2013 at 14:40

Team is as follows-

Backs
Goddard, heppel, hartlett, gibbs, mckenzie, staker. Duffield, clisby

Mids
Ablett, Pendles, JPK, barlow, cotchin, mundy, t.mitchell, crouch. Danger, Shuey.

Rucks
Jacobs, Nicholls. Rowe, Currie

Forwards
Roughy, rockliff, JJK, zorko, franklin, steve J. Mayes, b. kennedy

With 6 trades left, 83K and 4th posi in my league (next 2 games are winnable) was thinking either:
1. Hold until finals start,
OR
2. Trade shuey now to murphy/K Jack/montagna
OR
3. Trade down duffield/rowe/zorko now or next round to get Griffin in for shuey?

Feedback is appreciated.

Wazza · 26/07/2013 at 18:20

Picking up Marc Murphy still 8 trades left!