Supercoach strategy with Mick

* note from Jock.. Mick is ranked 26th in Supercoach.. humble bastard won’t mention it in his article but there ya go eh!

Good day community and welcome to this week’s edition of “Tight Arse Tuesday”. Back in our regular Tuesday slot where we belong.

Now most of you have snuck through the first two bye rounds largely unscathed and most posting some pretty high scores to boot. However just like “Winter”, Round 13 is coming, and Just like the series I jobbed that line from it’s going to be epic. Come on, we all love “Game of Thrones”.

It can be argued and quite easily at that, that the best three scoring defenders and the best five scoring midfielders will be missing this week. The same players that lifted our scores to dizzying heights over the last two rounds will not be with us this time around. If you can manage to pull off a big score this week you’ll go a long way to jumping up those rankings and guaranteeing yourself a win in most leagues. There is going to be carnage this week but there are also a lot of really solid options out there that come in at budget prices that might just help you over the line.

tight arse tuesday 13 a

DEFENDERS

I raised a few eyebrows last week when I stated that anything over $500k is too expensive for a defender but I really believe this to be the case.

Defenders in this game are notorious for having the occasional dud score below 70, even the really good ones. A score like that running through their three week average will only send their scores south and in most cases below the $500k mark. All of Shaw (51). Goddard (79) and Gibbs(65) have had a low score run through their average and all have hovered around the 500k mark as a result, with only Goddard at $500,200 managing to stay above it. I know those of you without Shaw will be looking at ways to bring him in and there might be merit to it if for example he will fill your last premium spot in your team but for those with pressing matters in other areas I’d advice to spend that cash in other places because I’ll eat my own tweed cap if Heath Shaw doesn’t drop below 500k again this year.

tight arse tuesday 13 b

Grant Birchall

I spoke about grant in great detail last week (click here) and there were very encouraging signs over the weekend that he will be a great selection for those still without. Copped a tag from Dennis Armfield, but managed to break through it to end up with a very respectable score of 105. (granted Armfield was poor). Current Stats and my projections below.

Average 97.6
Breakeven 34
Current Price $415,800
Priced to Average 80.89
Bye Round 11 – no worries

The Mad Irishman’s Verdict

2013 Predicted Status: Strong Midpricer
Predicted Average from here on out: 94-99pts

Final Word: Is definitely on the bottom of his price curve and is the perfect time to add him to your team. I am confident he will be in the top 6 scoring defenders from here on out so might very well fall into the must have category. Jump on.

MIDFIELDERS

With no Ablett, Pendlebury, Swan, Watson and Dangerfield this week things are going to get really interesting. These five with maybe JP Kennedy are the Super Elite players of this competition and I can’t really see anybody else joining them at the top level for the remainder of the season.

The next bunch of Elite players are all bunched up behind and in my option there isn’t much that separates any of them. Now we will all probably have our favourites, or we have all have given ourselves a headache trying to figure out who’s going to run home strong. I’d love to have the answer to that million dollar question (or well $50k question) but I’m afraid I can’t help you out there. However I do know that when one of these Elite players present themselves at a bargain price we shouldn’t second guess and give ourselves a headache thinking about it and instead jump on for the ride.

Joel Selwood

Again I spoke about Joel Selwood in great detail two weeks back (click here) and he too came out with a big score, although granted against a very weak team. Current Stats and my projections below.

Average 107.18
Breakeven 94
Current Price $492,800
Priced to Average 95.87
Bye Round 12 – no worries

The Mad Irishman’s Verdict

2013 Predicted Status: Elite
Predicted Average from here on out: 111-115pts

Final Word: Has now had what I have assumed a much needed break and would expect to see the output we have come to expect from him to return from here on. He is a proven Elite player that steps his game up when the going gets tough and at that price, come on people, jump on.

Trent Cotchin

Average 110.7
Breakeven 144
Current Price $526,900
Priced to Average 102.5
Bye Round 11 – no worries

Now Trent is most probably coming into my tight arse Tuesday column a week early as he still has a breakeven of 144 and is in all likelihood going to fall a little more again next week. However with the expected carnage of this week and the fact that a red hot Richmond are playing the Western Bulldogs, I think he could be very relative even with that high breakeven.

The same Doggies Outfit just gave up 149 and 144 supercoach points to Swan and Pendlebury over the weekend and with Deledio shinning brightest after Adelaide decided not to tag him in the first half (why?), I suspect he will garner the attention of Nick Lower this week, possibly allowing Cotchin a little bit more of a free ride.

Let’s take a quick look at Cotchins’s numbers from over the past few years to give ourselves a quick reminder of what this great player is capable of in fantasy scoring.

tight arse tuesday 13 c

Cotchin has been class since he walked into the Richmond Footy Club at the age of 17 after going at pick 2 in the 2007 national draft. Managed well by Richmond he has shown steady improvement in fantasy scoring, accumulating in his break out year in 2012, the same year he was made captain of the footy club and where he came out averaging 116.27 supercoach points.

There is so much to like about his game form both a purely football stand point and for that in which we concern ourselves, fantasy scoring. So often this year I have found myself watching the tigers and thinking to myself that gee, Cotchin is having a quite game. Only then to look at the supercoach scores and see he’s scored 117, and I think how? I have had some interesting theory’s on this, one which concluded that all the guys at champion data have him in their teams and give him extra stats when nobody is looking. Probably unlikely … right ?

Most likely however is that when games are in the balance it is Cotchin that steps up to the plate and delivers. Even though he isn’t producing the 30+ disposals week on week like Ablett, Swan and Pendlebury, when he does get it, they tend to be contested and he then tends to use it well, all accounting for his high supercoach scores. In fact if you compare him to the Super Elite in this game you will see he is right up there for Supercoach points per disposal, finishing ahead of even the mighty Gary Ablett. The table below shows the players performance based on last year’s stats.

tight arse tuesday 13 d

• Note: Not the top 7 in the competition for points per disposal, just a comparison with the top 6 points scorers

So why is he so cheap now?

Trent actually started the year on fire, averaging 125.4 SC points per game after round 5. From here things started to go a strew for Cotchin where he posted a score of 76 in round 6 where hind sight has told us he was carrying a slight knee injury, which would then force him to miss round 7. After coming back in round 8 he has failed to produce those big scores we seen over the first 5 rounds and with another 78 running through his averages form his clash with West Coast in round 10 has now dropped to the $526,900 he finds himself at today, a drop of $95,200 from round one.

tight arse tuesday 13 e

I know a lot of you might be worried that he is still carrying that knee injury and hence why he is only averaging 101 since his return in round 8. However I really don’t think the smart people down in Tigerland would risk their superstar if he wasn’t a 100% fit. I suspect the bye came at a good time for Cotchin and I’m expecting some of that early season form to return for the run home.

Cotchin vs Deledio

I know a lot of people will pose the question who is the better option and with Deledio’s current form far better than Cotchin’s, I’m betting a lot of people are getting swayed in the Deledio direction. I am not going to argue with that because I do think that Deledio is also a very solid option. Both have different qualities but both equally likely to score big, just in different ways. When the game is open Deledio is arguably the most dangerous player in the completion with his elite affective disposal efficiency. The down side on Deledio is that he will most likely attract the oppositions first tag and can be limited with his uncontested outside ball.

Cotchin on the other hand is more damaging in close, hard, contested games where winning your own ball is paramount. The down side on Cotchin is that although he will be more consistent with his scores, his ceiling isn’t as high as Deledio’s and when games really open up he tends to put the ball into the hands of Deledio instead of taking the game on himself. The fact of the matter is that they complement each other really well and I don’t think it was any great coincident that they both averaged 116 Supercoach points last season.

My personal opinion is that they will average very close to the same again this season, and because Cotchin is now that little bit cheaper and currently averaging less I’m jumping on this very week.

The Mad Irishman’s Verdict

2013 Predicted Status: Elite
Predicted Average from here on out: 114-119pts

Final Word: You can wait another week to pick him up a little cheaper but if you are looking to boost your squad this week I wouldn’t be too concerned about the extra savings you’ll make by waiting an extra week. Just like Selwood above he is a proven Elite player that steps his game up when the going gets tough. The Tigers are coming.

I did want to have a look at some rucks and forwards this week but time has not permitted me to do so. If you do have a forward or ruck in mind and you need a second option just leave a comment below and I’ll do my best to give you my option.

Best of luck in the upcoming round and remember everybody else is in the same boat.
Stay tuned ….

Mick the Mad Irishman

Mick Klavins · 18/06/2013 at 20:08

Nice article I don’t have JPK yet… Will his avg go up through out the season or stay the same?

Mr_Consistent · 18/06/2013 at 20:19

How on Earth is anyone meant to know Mr. Klavins,

However he has a hard finish to the season, playing Geelong, Collingwood, Hawthorn and St. Kilda in the last 4 rounds

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 20:19

JPK is an interesting one. Currently sitting at an average of 112 SC points which is actually 10 lower than last year. The emergence of Hannebery and Jacks consistency seem to be steeling points off Kennedy. Sydney have a soft draw over the next month where there should be plenty of points to give out. Hannebery will cop the first tag and Kennedy will score big in that period to pull his average up back up closer to 120. Very good option and probably deserved a piece in the article above.

The Mad Irishman’s Verdict

2013 Predicted Status: Elite
    Predicted Average from here on out: 117-122pts

jockreynolds · 18/06/2013 at 20:27

really like the look of Port, Carlton, Melbourne and GWS over the next four – you're spot on mate he should make a fair bit of hay over the next month

matt · 18/06/2013 at 20:34

I can understand Hannebery has had alot of the ball this year but why do you think he is the first tagged from sydney when kennedy is so much more damaging when he has a day out.

jockreynolds · 18/06/2013 at 20:36

Hanneberry hits the scoreboard pretty hard

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 20:44

Hannebery has already got the first tag in games this year. Fremantle sent Crawley too him in round 8 which says a lot. Then two weeks ago I think he would have just about scared every opposition coach with his performance against Adelaide – SC score of 126 didn't show how damaging he was in that game.

Would be very surprised if Port didn't try to stop him this week.

matt · 18/06/2013 at 21:07

thankyou for the reply for all those reasons do you think it is a mistake picking him up over selwood this week. cheers

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 21:16

Oh that is a good question Matt – sorry for this last minute headache

I'm going to have to lean towards yes – even with his 40 touches two weeks ago he only scored 126 SC points. I think he is only one season away from being the new Dane Swan of the comp and I rate him very highly but right now his disposal efficiency seems to be letting him down in SC scoring. Has had a couple of low SC scores off the back of some big disposal number games this year and is likely to pick up a few more.

Think Selwood will score more from here on out

matt · 18/06/2013 at 21:29

even though hannebery has a softer run home, plus I can't stand selwood so thats wat is clouding my judgement on picking selwood. you are correct selwood is the safer bet but im still unsure.

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 20:08

First, i'm never first

Mike · 18/06/2013 at 20:09

Good job Mick. Insightful as always!
I have one spot left in my midfield……who would you suggest?
My mids are currently Ablett, Pendles, Danger, JPK, Bartel, Priddis, Fyfe, & O,Meara (Bench is Mitchell & Colquhoun). I'm looking at upgrading O'Meara after the bye – in a week or 2 (his BE is still quite low).
I'm currently leaning towards Watson.
What do you reckon?

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 20:24

I think you should always go with your gut, and if it makes you feel any better I think Watson is a great option. Will probably feature in this tight arse column in the next week or two and will be cheap and easy to turn O'Meara into.

I might even Suggest that you flick Bartel forward and look to bring in another Elite midfielder like Swan, Selwood, Deledio or Cotchin – really bulk it up in there.

Best of luck for the rest of the year

Mike · 19/06/2013 at 04:48

Thanks Mick.
      I have Walker up forward to balance with Bartel as DPP's. I reckon a bit of versatility may come in handy during the finals when trades might be scarce and the inevitable injuries happen.

dgusto81 · 18/06/2013 at 21:01

You should get Bartel into your FWD at some point so you can get another premium midfielder too.

Bod · 18/06/2013 at 20:10

what are your thoughts on Ivan Maric MIck, I'm either going to get him or Goldstein next week and it would be nice to save 100k. Was his 124 just a flash in the pan against bloody Jacobs or can he average about the same as Goldstein?

Mr_Consistent · 18/06/2013 at 20:20

I think that if he is finding his form he could potentially be the best Ruckman in the competition but who knows mate????

Clayton · 18/06/2013 at 20:32

I too am wondering this. Ive finally ditched Jacobs, who I cant stand, and upgraded to big Ivan. Im a tiges supporter, so may be a little biased, but I think he will come home strong in the 2nd half of the season!

Birch's Buddy · 18/06/2013 at 20:39

Not sure how Maric will go for the rest of the year, but Jacobs was a bloody pansy against Richmond! Looked overpowered in the ruck contest, and pretty much everywhere else.

Marc · 18/06/2013 at 20:47

He was a bloody pansy wasn't he. How depressing that he was only #6 on the list of Adelaide Crows that I was PO'd about on the weekend.

I'm going to get rid of him, but it'll probably be the last upgrade I do. He's not doing enough around the ground to be hitting those 100+ scores, but hopefully he can improve a bit after the bye.

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 20:46

Very Good Question, thanks Bod

It's a tough question too because Maric has really shown us nothing over the last 6 weeks but yet we all know what he's capable of from his monster year last season, and even his early season form was really good. I think he was averaging 110 after four rounds. His form slump was unusual and there was no talk of an injury but maybe you would have to think he may very well have had some sort of niggle.

One way of looking at his 124 at the weekend would be to say he is nice and fresh after a week off with the bye.
    Another is that it was becasue he was up against another ruck man in the middle of a form slump worse than his.

I am going to say it's a little from both. I think he will bounce back into some form that will see him average over 105 from here on out, but where as last year Maric was almost an unknown quantity, I think opposition coaches have but a bit more time into him this year and are able to reduce his impact at ball ups and around the ground. If I had the extra money I personally would go Goldstien but Maric will be a solid option too.

The Mad Irishman’s Verdict

2013 Predicted Status: Premimum
    Predicted Average from here on out: 103-108pts

Bod · 18/06/2013 at 21:46

Maric had an ankle injury around the time of the afore mentioned form slump didn't he? I think Dimma came out and declared him 'fit and fresh' after the bye. If Maric delivers another 100+ score this week, he will join my team

Pete · 18/06/2013 at 22:13

I'm in the same boat, and finding it hard to resist the extra $100K in savings going with Maric over Goldstein. Looking at their potential scores in the last 4 round of the season, Maric comes out slightly in front too

Favalinko · 18/06/2013 at 20:55

Thinking along the same line, was going to trade in Minson but think he might tire as he is doing the bulk of the rucking by himself. Had Maric from the start last year and he did not disapoint i get the gut feel he will come home strong as Crouching would say Maric good pick he bloody gun. Welcome

James · 18/06/2013 at 20:12

T Cotchin, S Mitchell or J Selwood?

Not sure who to bring in Mick, can you help. I was thinking of going S Mitchell as a POD.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 20:50

Honestly James I wouldn't be able to split any of those guys and if he keep an eye on all three from here on out I wouldn't be surprised if all three are only separated by 20SC points.

I say this to a lot of people but I think you should go with your gut and get S Mitchell. I am 100% sure he won't let you down – just the same as the other two. However Mitchell will most likely be the least selected so if you are after a really good POD then he's your man

James · 18/06/2013 at 20:53

Thanks Mick for the advice, time to execute the trade!

Marc · 18/06/2013 at 20:17

Great stuff Mick. I'm definitely keeping an eye on the defenders this week as I still have 1 more defender to upgrade (i'm leaving defenders last). It's tough with them this year though, I think my biggest stuff up was upgrading to Birchall when his price was at 550K and after that he had his 59, 70 and 30 games which destroyed his price and the cash I had invested in him.

It's good you've put Selwood up there this week though. I'm looking at upgrading my M8 spot and have to pick between Selwood this week or Watson next week. I'm bouncing between the immediate need (i'm 4-6 in league wins) and his cheapness, but thinking Watson would be the better long term option.

jockreynolds · 18/06/2013 at 20:25

Funny – Selwood is one of those players I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger on and bring in. Amazes me how hard he plays the game and I always have the feeling he is only a game away from a big injury

Marc · 18/06/2013 at 20:31

Yea, that's the same feeling i'm having at the moment. I skipped Watson at the start of the year due to their off field issues, but he's looking like the next best midfielder I don't have.

Birch's Buddy · 18/06/2013 at 20:38

Same here!

Favalinko · 18/06/2013 at 20:46

Agreed Jock my thoughts excactly

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 20:55

Agree Jock and probably should have mentioned that above. Is partial to a concussion our Joel. But then look at Murphy last week and Stevey J the week before. Can happen to anyone in this game.

Watson a great pick up after the bye or even round 15 when he will be super cheap – suspect he'll get his own slot on Tight Arse Tuesday

jockreynolds · 18/06/2013 at 22:18

Tell you what I admire the way he plays the game.. just wouldt be surprised if he ages a little quicker than your normal midfielder with the batterrings he cops week in week out.

You're absolutely spot on as well – can happen to absolutely anyone at any time

Kyle · 18/06/2013 at 20:21

I need opinions of the best forward premium.

Macaffer's time is up and i was thinking of trading in D.Martin? or Bartel?
Stevie J will drop heaps.

Consistency is needed.

Marc · 18/06/2013 at 20:35

Bartel is looking like the most consistent FWD at the moment. 6 of his past 7 games have been 100+ with the lowest being a 91 against the traffic cones in Rd 11. Walker is probably your best other choice if you don't have him.

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 20:58

Dusty will be up and down unfortunately but has a higher ceiling than Bartel, but if your after consistency then Bartel is your man.

Stevie J will also be inconsistent but will score better from here on out.

Birch's Buddy · 18/06/2013 at 20:38

Martin.

Ocker · 20/06/2013 at 01:06

If you are putting Bartell in, He may not play this week and if he is named in team he may be a late withdrawal so be cautious. By the way I have both.

Joeey · 18/06/2013 at 20:24

Gee making that descision of picking my last midfielder so much harder! Cotch and Selwood seem enticing, but seeing as i can, should i just go all out and get JPK? also what are your thoughts on bringing in martin? looking the goods this year

Birch's Buddy · 18/06/2013 at 20:38

Martin is a must-have this year.

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 21:02

From a response above:

The Mad Irishman’s Verdict

2013 Predicted Status: Elite
    Predicted Average from here on out: 117-122pts

Go your gut Joeey, if you got the $$$ Kennedy is a great option too

Super_Freak · 19/06/2013 at 12:10

Yeah agree with Birch. Brought him in this week to finish of fwd line.

tyrone · 18/06/2013 at 20:27

what should i do with dwyer mick and macaffer?

Marc · 18/06/2013 at 20:37

Trade 'em. Could trade Dwyer for Daniher then use the cash to upgrade Macaffer.

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 21:04

Yep agree with Marc on this one. One downgrade, one upgrade

Rockliff cheap, so is Martin – both will average 105+ from here on out.

Bartel, S Johnson, Walker, Naitanui are the other great forward options

tyrone · 18/06/2013 at 22:15

cheers champ

CHRIS · 18/06/2013 at 20:32

Top work Mick. Selwood in for O'Meara. Thank you.

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 21:05

No worries Chris 😀

Best of luck for the rest of the year

Birch's Buddy · 18/06/2013 at 20:36

Absolutely agree with the notion that a defender over 500k isn't worth it!

It's one of two laws I diligently obey personally (the other being no key position players), and it's the only thing that prevented me from bringing in Birch at 560k (just before he started copping the first tag). In no way did I see the drop he has witnessed since there, but I figured he had to get into the 490-500k mark at some point in time. And now I'm picking him up at 415k, saving myself 145k and many grey hairs.

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 21:08

Yep two great unwritten rules Birch's Buddy

I didn't see his fall to the extent it happened but over 550k is definitely too much and I too brought him in last week at his bottom end.

ope he goes off for you in the run home 🙂

cotchandmurph · 18/06/2013 at 21:21

same, he is a bargin price

Super_Freak · 19/06/2013 at 12:21

Birch is a bargain this week. Tossing up between him and Ellis. I know Ellis is not proven, but is scoring really well. Will probably go Birchall though.

Plan to bring in Shaw next week as I already have Gibbs, Goddard, Hartlett & Hanley. I know he is +500k, but trades are getting low and he will be the final upgrade in def, so I don't see the point in waiting for his price to drop if I have the cash.

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 20:37

Very Good Question, thanks Bod

The Mad Irishman’s Verdict

2013 Predicted Status: Premimum
Predicted Average from here on out: 103-108pts

throttlefinger · 18/06/2013 at 20:38

So if I have Birchall and don't have Goddard (and this is probably the lowest price he'll be at), who would you suggest?

throttlefinger · 18/06/2013 at 20:38

Next round, of course….

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 21:41

There is a tough question,

Id think Goddard will be the top scoring defender from here on out. Birchall probably only 5th or 6th best scorer. If you got the money I'd go Goddard

throttlefinger · 18/06/2013 at 21:49

Was thinking of upgrading from Hooker to Ellis. Next round Terlich to Goddard. Ellis below $500K and on hot streak (and doubt he'll get a hard tag any time soon). Love to downgrade from Hooker to shore up mids. No good options. Will go with my gut once teams released.

Enjoy and insightful Tight Arse article as always, Mick. Appreciate the time you take putting it together each week.

James · 18/06/2013 at 20:39

Do I trade Jaegar O'Meara or Brad Crouch? Crouch seems to be on the outer but don't want O'Meara as my M8.

Need your help.

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 21:40

Listen to the Pod cast if you haven't already – Take the money and run

Time to go O'Meara

Favalinko · 18/06/2013 at 20:44

Food for thought Mick. Whats your thoughts on Maric opposed Minson for my 2nd ruck. Cheers

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 21:43

very close call, both probably will average close to the same so Maric being cheaper might be the better option now.

lochie · 18/06/2013 at 20:52

Not sure on my last midfield premium I already have Ablett Pendlebury Swan Dangerfield Cotchin Barlow and Watson
Thinking Jack Sellwood JPK Fyfe maybe even Kelly
Any thoughts would be much appreciated

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 21:44

Any of Jack, Sellwood, JPK or Fyfe – Not Kelly

JPK proably the best option

jbombs jets · 18/06/2013 at 20:52

Great as always Mick . Hope you dont catch me as i am ranked 12th!
Noticed hanley in your side ?
Do you think he can break that tag for the rest of the year?

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 21:47

Vossy played him forward at the start of the game last week i think to navigate the tag but I don't think that was a good idea for Brisbane because he was lost. Look will probably have a few quite games from here on out but his ceiling is huge and will post some big numbers too – can see him averaging 105+ from here on out.

Daniel · 18/06/2013 at 20:57

Congrats on position mick! I know this issue has been about midfielders, but I'm a bit divided. My midfield is ablett, pendlebury, swan, Watson, Murphy, Barlow, priddis, wingard (crouch, t.Mitchell). I was going to do Murphy to jpk and wingard to deledio, but you said to get cotchin and jock said to get deledio. Who do I get? Thanks

cotchandmurph · 18/06/2013 at 21:23

Cotchin
    i have got them both and have more faith in cotchin

@Da_Mad_Irishman · 18/06/2013 at 21:58

Both excellent choices that I can't separate – probably best to ignore both of us and go with your gut.

What's your gut telling you ?

Daniel · 19/06/2013 at 17:40

Before the podcast I was thinking of bringing in cotchin as deledio was going to get tagged a lot so I’m going to stick with it. Thanks mick and cotchandmurph

Callum · 18/06/2013 at 21:08

Great article as always, this round i want to look at using the 3 trades to bulk up my team as currently i have to get rid of 2 round 13 bye players and stevenson to avoid the donut. Heres how my team looks:

11 trades left, 270k remaining. Starting lineup with round 13 bye in mind.

DEF: Shaw, Goddard, Goodes, Terlich, Stevenson, Webster, BENCH, Heppel, Gibbs.

MID: Ablett, Pendles, Dangerfield, JP Kennedy, Barlow, Parker, O'meara, Fyfe,BENCH, B.Kennedy, Crouch

RUCK: Roughy, Nic nat, bench, nicholls, hannath

FWD: Cox, Rockliff, Franklin, Zorko, JJ Kennedy, Staker, BENCH, Macaffer, Rowe

Im Thinking of trading so far:

O'Meara~Mitchell
Crouch/ Macfafer(MID/FWD swing)~ Selwood
Stvenson~ Birch or maybe even Ellis(Tight arse option there)

Getting rid of Crouch would leave me with 144k, but if i Got rid of macaffer, I would have 288k to go parker to swan/watson/cotchin and have a bit left afterwards to upgrade maybe staker to a forward, if there is a valid option there maybe stevie j if he drops enough. Need a bit of help here. Thanks

Callum · 18/06/2013 at 21:12

Also another upside to tarding crouch instead of the caff is that I can go Caff to daniher next round and have hoim as my F7.

Sam · 18/06/2013 at 21:23

Hey Mick,
Your thoughts on Stevie J as captain this week? Versing the Lions and we all know how much he punishes the weaker sides!

I'm putting the VC on JPK by any chance he gets a big score vs Port

cotchandmurph · 18/06/2013 at 21:29

Yep i like the loophole idea with Kennedy, but im not sold on stevie J

Sam · 18/06/2013 at 21:35

True, why?

cotchandmurph · 19/06/2013 at 11:41

I dont trust him to score what he has been, he will average 100-105 for the rest of the season

Jimmy · 18/06/2013 at 21:31

Hi Mick great article mate,
I can't decide who to upgrade murphy to?
It was between jpk, jack, deledio, cotchin and selwood and i was leaning towards jack as a PoD but you have mentioned all four of the other guys.
Any help is appreciated, Thanks

cotchandmurph · 18/06/2013 at 21:32

Im hoping to average 2400 for the second half of the season. I have been posting some high totals in the byes, and i hate the byes

Rory · 18/06/2013 at 21:46

Does anyone know if zorko will be playing this week because I already traded out lecras to Martin to complete my forawd line

@Jacko2128 · 18/06/2013 at 21:56

Worth gettin in L.montagna? as a POD? not sure who else to get that doesnt have the bye this week..

@Jacko2128 · 18/06/2013 at 21:58

mids are – dangerfield, jpk, barlow, mundy, gaj, shuey, jager, mitchell, viney,vlastuin

SCaddict · 19/06/2013 at 17:20

There are heaps to choose from including Cotch, Lids, Teen Wolf, Selwood, Jack, S.Mitchell, Swallow or even K.Cornes if you really want a serious PoD.

Got to say Montagna would be towards the bottom of my own list with all these other guns to choose from.

Saints also don't have the best run home with the Hawks, Swans, Suns and Freo during the Supercoach finals and could definitely gets pantsed in some of those games. Sorry Jock!

jockreynolds · 18/06/2013 at 22:14

Mick.. your service to this community of budding fantasy football lions is INSPIRING mate.

You're a bloody ripper

Pete · 18/06/2013 at 22:19

Great post as always Mick – look forward to Tuesdays!

What do you think about Matty Boyd – is he washed up? Averaged 115 consistently last couple of seasons, but has only broken the ton three times, and averaging a paltry 97 so far, break even of 63, and potential POD if he picks it up, plus the doggies have a favourable run home

cotchandmurph · 19/06/2013 at 11:39

GET HIM IN

Super_Freak · 19/06/2013 at 12:29

I'd wait another week to see. He didn't look super on weekend. Reckon Griffin is a much better option this year

@Jacko2128 · 18/06/2013 at 22:22

,Worth gettin in L.montagna? as a POD? Mids are:

dangerfield, jpk, barlow, mundy, gaj, shuey, jager, mitchell, viney

Simmo · 18/06/2013 at 22:40

Gday jock and fellow fantasy footballers. 12 trds B4 rd 13 and 503k in kitty. team as is Def: Godd, Gibbs, Birch, Goodes, Terlich, Staker, (Laird & Thurlow) Mids: GAJ, Watson, Danger, Murphy, Fyfe, Priddis, Vlastuin, Omeara, (T,Mitchell & K.Martin) Rucks: Cox, Roughy, (Nicholls & Currie) Fwds: Bartel, JJK, Cloke, Rockliff, Nicnat, Zorko, (McCaffer & Rowe). Planned trades this week are : Laird > Ibbotson / H.Taylor, Murphy > Barlow / JPK / Selwood Rowe > Dusty / Buddy ? / or Waite as a POD. Any thoughts or something ive missed would be greatly appreciated. Love the podcast fellas. Thought with Philip and the Queen there last week that surely you would have been knighted Sir Jock.

Daniel · 19/06/2013 at 17:54

Terlich to cotchin switch vlastuin to back
    Murphy to jpk
    Maybe upgrade o'meara to selwood
    Could upgrade laird next week into a Hanley/duffield

Jay · 18/06/2013 at 22:53

Is Brandon Ellis is worthwhile choice as a d-6

Gunna upgrade goodes to a premium and swap Dixon out. I don’t have any faith in his ankle.

SCaddict · 19/06/2013 at 02:14

Just reckon he's too expensive for someone so young and so unproven especially with all the other bargains arounds. Expect the better oppositions to start putting more time into curtailing his impact as well.

Good call cutting your losses on Dixon though. Plenty of appetising alternatives for similar coinage.

cotchandmurph · 19/06/2013 at 08:53

Im getting Ellis next year

Super_Freak · 19/06/2013 at 12:31

I'm torn on this one too. It's either him or Birchall. Hard choice the way Ellis has been scoring

Richo · 18/06/2013 at 23:00

Looking to upgrade to secure either JPK or Watson… midfield currently go Ablett, Swan, Pendles, Cotchin, Fyfe, Priddis, Shuey, Mitchell, Hrovat with Kennedy as Mid/Fwd.

1. Should I make Kennedy, a straight upgrade for JPK this week?

2. Swing Kennedy forward & upgrade Zorko to JPK? and maybe next week uprade Shuey to Watson / Kennedy to Danniher?

Don’t want to sideways trade but know that both JPK & Watson, maybe even J Selwood would be upgrades from both Zorkdud & Shuey (with his tough draw).

Thoughts much appreciated…

Mike · 18/06/2013 at 23:10

My mid – Ablett. Watson, JPK, Dangerfield, Barlow, Selwood, Priddis, Vlastuin, T.Mitchell, Crouch. I want to get Pendlebury afta the bye who better to give the flick Priddis or Vlastuin?
Any suggestions or thought

Richo · 18/06/2013 at 23:24

Are your backs set? Could you offload a defender, swing Vlastuin down back and then make the upgrade? If not, i'd say keep Priddis, will regularly find the footy.

Mike · 18/06/2013 at 23:46

Back – Goddard, Heppell, Birchall, Gibbs, Duffield, Goodes, Thurlow Saunders.
      I dont have much money in the bank but i will free up 200k when i sell Macaffer for Danniher

GLIDE · 18/06/2013 at 23:21

Getting confused now Selwood, Cotchin or JPK??

Richo · 18/06/2013 at 23:32

I have Cotchin, but am thinking JPK is the pick here, good draw to come…. maybe J Selwood if you need the extra cash though. Tight call really!

… that probably didn't help you at all! 🙂

richard · 19/06/2013 at 00:20

Yeah im really struggling with this as well. IMO Jpk probably has the best scoring potential, but his form and current role (I mean like the emergence of hannerbury jack etc) seems to be letting him down.

SCaddict · 19/06/2013 at 02:19

Selwood is crazy cheap. No qualms adding him to my midfield this week along with Cotch. Admittedly I already have JPK so not much help am I ha ha!

I guess what I'm saying is that any of those 3 dudes would be superb choices so don't sweat it too much and just pull the trigger on who you feel most comfortable with.

Super_Freak · 19/06/2013 at 12:32

Agree, they are all guns.

footyinme · 18/06/2013 at 23:56

Want to finish my forward line with a player finishing the bye and I picked N.Riewoldt.
Mick what do you think he would avg from now on 92-97 pts?

Richard · 19/06/2013 at 00:19

Hey guys!!!
With 10 trades and around 400k in the bank, im looking forward to trading 3 bye players out this round.
Im currently thinking about
Laird>birchall(hanley high BE)
macaffer to selwood/cotchin or jpk? idk. (This leaves me with 9 premium mid, but i want to trade shuey for daniher for the cash generation)
Jacobs to minson or move cox to ruck and get bartel or wait for pavlich(Great run home)?
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Jake the Snake · 19/06/2013 at 12:47

i did something similar to this..
    Laid to Birchall
    Macaffer to Daniher
    O'Mera to Selwood
    …i went for Selwood as he is just SO cheap! loves big games and i think will come into some ripper form. he has the potential to be super elite. (I already have JPK)

Dee · 19/06/2013 at 01:03

Love your work Mick, good on ya mate! Definitely bringing in Selwood this week, should come home with a wet sail barring any injuries or suspensions but I also want to bring in Waton next week for the last spot in my midfield with Mitchell & Hrovat in my M9 & M10 positions respectively. In saying this if I get Selwood this week, next week should I even consider bringing in Watson who is a ultra premium midfielder and trading out a premium midfielder such as Hodge, Priddis or even a Hartlett (DPP). It mite sound silly but is it worth it? My midfield at the moment is: Ablett, Pendles, Kennedy, Deledio, Fyfe, Priddis, Hartlett, Hodge, Mitchell and Hrovat…. Thoughts?!

Dee · 19/06/2013 at 01:08

Thoughts on Hrovat getting a game this weekend?!

SCaddict · 19/06/2013 at 02:21

I'll give you an answer in 48hrs!

Dee · 19/06/2013 at 12:02

LOL. He should get a game, but theres a few kids pushing for selection this week for the doggies! Really worried now that i chose Hrovat over Martin….

Remy · 19/06/2013 at 08:02

Who is a good pick for captain this week with GAJ, Pendles, Swan, Watson all having their bye. This is what I'm doing with my team I reckon put the vice on Buddy and see how he goes, then if his score disappoints I really don't know who I should put the C on. these are my mids/ forwards who I am considering JPK, Hannebery, Priddis, Redden or maybe Stevie J? Dusty?? But who!!??

Kev · 19/06/2013 at 10:49

Put the vice on jpk against port (scored 134 against them preseason) Stevie J against the lions if that doesn't work. Refreshed after his bye

cotchandmurph · 19/06/2013 at 11:55

Yep loophole JPK and then see out of martin or stevie j

Jimmy · 19/06/2013 at 16:42

im doing loophole on nic nat and then jpk or jack (whoever i bring in this week)

Rick Grimes · 19/06/2013 at 08:42

What are your thoughts on Riewoldt? Seemed to be tiring a little before the bye – strung 4 x 120+ scores together, then 4 x 80-100 scores. Could come out real strong v Melb.

cotchandmurph · 19/06/2013 at 08:56

I would go bartel, cox, martin, rockliff, before riewoldt

Rick Grimes · 19/06/2013 at 09:15

Already have the first two. Brisbane have a favourable draw, but Rockliff seems pretty up and down. Plus his BE is something like 135 isn't it? He is the other one I'm looking at.

Rick Grimes · 19/06/2013 at 09:24

First three I should say.

Aaron · 19/06/2013 at 08:52

Really curious to know how many players everyone has out this week & who is your must get in NOW player?

Rick Grimes · 19/06/2013 at 09:22

I can field 19 (depending on Thurlow playing), but I'll have to use three trades to get there. It leaves me with 6 trades for the rest of the year, but a pretty handy side (bar a couple of those pesky players you just haven't got round to offing – ie, Westhoff). Will look to bring in some heavy hitters come finals and hope for the best.

I'd say the must have is Mitchell this week since he's sitting on the cusp of a massive price increase and looks a potential M8.

Captain choice will be massive this week with everyone's lock (GAJ) sitting it out.

Aaron · 19/06/2013 at 11:15

Gee Rick doing well with 18 mate. I wouldn’t be feeling to great with only 6 trades though. Ill be making 3 trades this week also to leave me with 10 and then I’ve gotta get rid of Murphy after he’s bye for Watson and possibly upgrade Vlaustin. And again I’m not feeling to good about 10!

Mitchell is a no brainer isn’t he!?

I’m getting in Goldstein and JP Kennedy this week for Jacobs and Crouch, would have loved to get Naitanui but unfortunately I can’t afford him.

Very interesting about the captains choice Rick, I reckon I’ll put the VC on JP Kennedy this week I’m fairly confident he will get 30+ against Port…. I’m thinking 120+ and ill take it!

Rick Grimes · 19/06/2013 at 13:40

Yea don't feel super great about only having 6 trades left, Got some easy h2hs coming my way tho, so probably won't trade again until finals. If I can have 6 to use in fianls i think I'll be on par with most.

falcon · 19/06/2013 at 09:42

Hi Mick
I hope you can go all the way this year, I Checked out your team and was surprised you still had wines & 3 premium rucks, next year I’m following your strategy as I think I started with too many rookies and not enough mid priced players
Good luck

Scott · 19/06/2013 at 10:49

Hey Mick,

Bring in Griffen or cotchin?

Griffen draw coming up is very easy but cotchin is much cheaper. Help.

cotchandmurph · 19/06/2013 at 11:53

Cotchin, he will work his way up to 600.000 by season end and average 120

Reply guy · 19/06/2013 at 18:34

Cotchin

David · 19/06/2013 at 11:13

Garrick ibbotson worth considering?

cotchandmurph · 19/06/2013 at 12:02

No and yes, if he keeps scoring the way he does get him next week but no for me

Rick Grimes · 19/06/2013 at 13:43

I think he's appealing as a POD. So many teams will have close to the same back six – Goddard, Heppell, Gibbs, Shaw, Birchall in particular. So he could be a nice include.

Kerrigan · 19/06/2013 at 12:25

Need some opinions coaches…

Current team with 12 trades and $590k in the bank.

Backs: Goddard, shaw, heppell, hartlett, Gibbs, goodes (staker & wright).

Miss: ablett, Watson, swan, Kennedy, dangermouse, priddis, fyfe, o’meara (Mitchell crouch)

Rucks: cox, nicholls, (rowe, currie)

Fwds: roughhead, Martin, franklin, J Kennedy, rockliff, macaffer, (Mayes & B Kennedy)

Considering trading Rowe to maric this week

Next will trade o’meara to pendlebury & possibly Mayes or macaffer to cloke

Pendles is a no brainer. Thoughts on maric & cloke…

Super_Freak · 19/06/2013 at 12:52

The Rowe trade is a good one, the Cloke trade is not.

I got sucked in after Clokes 190 and he has averaged 85 since then. Yes, he has looked better the last couple of weeks and would have scored over 100 two weeks ago if he kicked straight, but there are plenty of better options

Stevie J, Bartel or even Boomer, but they will set you back a fair bit more cash though.

SCaddict · 19/06/2013 at 16:19

I brought in The Mullet last week as I believe he's presently undervalued with a lot of upside to lift his game in the second half of the season and the bonus of the Tiges having a relatively Supercoach finals friendly draw.

Goldy, Big Wilba and Nic Nat are probably safer choices in terms of delivering assured premium output for the rest of the season but it will cost you accordingly.

Paul · 19/06/2013 at 12:33

Hi Ive got Goddard, Shaw, Hanley, Hartlett, goodes and Vlastuin in my backline…is it worth trading up goodes, vlastuin or even hartlett ? Is the increase in average scores worth the trade up when they will probably produce 90 average for the rest of the year?

Super_Freak · 19/06/2013 at 12:39

I would probably trade up Goodes to Gibbs after the bye. Should definitely average 100+ and his price should only go up. I'm keeping Hartlett, seems to be slowly working his way back into it.

Paul · 19/06/2013 at 12:49

I have Gibbs in the midfield, although now that i think about it i could move either goodes or vlaustin to the mid and upgrade them to JPK or another premium…not sure how i missed that thanks.

Rick Grimes · 19/06/2013 at 13:48

I think if you can get 90-100 out of your backs every game, you're doing well and it's more worthwhile to spend the big money on the premium mids who can get you 120-130 consistently. So I almost see Vlastuin as a keeper. And players like Malcheski and Burgoyne can be quite useful as well to fill a D6 spot.

cotchandmurph · 19/06/2013 at 16:17

Yes i like that move, swing vlaustin in the mid then upgrade to JPK

Pete · 19/06/2013 at 12:41

Probably keep Goodes and trade Vlastuin for Birchall, Heppell, Duffield or even Ibboston if you've got the cash. Depends on how many trades you've got left and who has the best run home in the finals. Defense has been the most unreliable element this year.

Paul · 19/06/2013 at 12:50

Yeah im not sure about ibbotson yet. Lyon seems to be using multiple players as that defensive rebound…….thanks for the advice though. 1 for trade goodes 1 for trade vlastuin haha.

Super_Freak · 19/06/2013 at 12:55

Could trade either, but if it was me, I would swing Gibbs into def and upgrade to an elite mid.

Paul · 19/06/2013 at 13:43

Yes thats exactly what i have done. Penndles is going in next week…although J Selwood at 492k is quite tempting. Vlastuin probably go to next week too. Im with you on hartlett..i have 9 trades left before goodes being traded

Adam · 19/06/2013 at 13:27

what about Kane Cornes? Only $505 but average is 115. Has hit a little form slump but bloody cheap!

SCaddict · 19/06/2013 at 16:10

I've definitely given him serious consideration. Currently the 6th highest average this season across all players although perhaps the stats are a little skewed with Port getting off to a flyer in the first 5 games with that softish draw.

But I've traded in Selwood instead who's a little cheaper but couldn't blame anyone going KC with the season he's having and only owned by less than 5% of all coaches so an excellent PoD.

cotchandmurph · 19/06/2013 at 16:25

More faith in joel selwood though

Rick Grimes · 19/06/2013 at 13:58

I'm fairly new to SC, first year I've taken it properly serious. Is there a danger that come finals everyone has pretty much the same team? It always scares me when I go to match centre and see that the contest has come down to only a handful of unique players.

ABC · 19/06/2013 at 17:01

Mick, I have to say that I'm eating my words. Right after I had a go at you about Andrew Walker he pumped out 150, 140 and 92. Annnddd I backed myself and traded him out haha.

Ah well, I really do enjoy your articles. Congratulations on the rank and I promise to trust on your much more informed opinion than mine!

Joseph · 19/06/2013 at 17:23

Pearce Hanley in this week or hold off till next??

ABC · 19/06/2013 at 19:08

Hold off 2 weeks then his draw opens up and his price should've bottomed.

Bye round carnage · 19/06/2013 at 18:53

1. Should I trade out Macaffer or Dwyer?

2. Tom Mitchell for Viney or Kommer?

cotchandmurph · 19/06/2013 at 20:25

Trade out Kommer for T Mitchell, and Caffer out

Bye round carnage · 19/06/2013 at 20:53

Exactly what I thought. Viney & Mitchell will only increase in value, while Dwyer has fiercer competition for spots. Cheers.

Bye round carnage · 19/06/2013 at 20:58

Totally just contradicted myself there. Isn't Caffer more likely to retain his place?

bout7 · 20/06/2013 at 23:35

I'd get rid of Dwyer and Kommer first

James · 19/06/2013 at 19:01

Which defender should i bring in as a D6 this week? Ibbotson is my pick at the moment. Can't wait till next week for bye reasons.I don't think Pearce Hanley will have a high avg 2nd half of year.

Thoughts?

cotchandmurph · 19/06/2013 at 20:24

who do you have now, i would say gibbs, heppell,birchall,hartlett, if you already have goodard and H Shaw

bout7 · 20/06/2013 at 23:36

You're brave! Hartlett!?

cotchandmurph · 19/06/2013 at 20:27

How many trades is a good number to have left, i have 8

James · 19/06/2013 at 20:35

Hi guys, having a bit of trouble this week. i have got 12 trades left. Decided to go martin for macaffer, kerridge for daniher and crouch for tommy mitchell. which means i have 9 trades left for the season. thoughts??

also are fyfe and sheay premiums til the end of the season fella's

what to do with the two tigers, vlastion and ellis?? and is brett goods a keeper?

vinny mac · 21/06/2013 at 01:07

Trades seem good, I myself only have 7 trades left, with only the backline needing an upgrade. Yeh fyfe and shuey are premiums til the end of the season IMO.
    I'd say keep vlastuin and ellis. And yes I'm keeping brett goodes and vlastuin for now, may upgrade to hanley in the next few weeks.

Bmac · 19/06/2013 at 22:06

Fellas.

Need the league win.

Do I:

Trade O'Meara –> Barlow this week and get an extra on the park; or

Hold a week, wait for O'Meara to increase in price then —> Swan

bout7 · 20/06/2013 at 23:37

Can't go wrong with either. Since you want the league win I'd go Barlow.
    Barlow might also be a good captain choice this week…

tbag86 · 20/06/2013 at 07:04

Loving your work, Mick!

Wanted to pick your brain re defenders.

My backline as it stands is:
Goddard, Gibbs, Heppel, Shaw, Hartlett, Vlaustin (Terlich and Thurlow on bench)

I’m trying to really polish my team for the back half and I’m tossing up over upgrading Hartlett to either Birch or Hanley who will drop in price next week.

What are your thoughts??

Cheers!

Turner · 20/06/2013 at 11:11

Hi, another great tightarse article. I’m stuck on who to get rid of, I have 12 trades and 410k plus I’m not worried about bye this week as easy h2h match.

Backs: Gibbs,Goddard,hartlet,birchall,goodes,terlich. Bench-thurlow,staker

Mids: Watson,swan,Murphy,mundy,jpk, omeara,vlastain and t.mitchel. Bench- crouch,hrovet

Rucks: cox, maric. Bench- nicholls,currie

Fwds: bartel,walker,rockliff,jjk,monfries,Franklin. Bench-macaffer, lee

So I’m happy with rucks and fwd for now, thinking of caff downgrade to daniher for the cash after I do some upgrades this week
I still got terlich, but have omeara and not sure on goodes and vlastain stayin in my team into finals, but need some big hitters for a second half push at my cash league haha
Also now murph is out for a few weeks, I might jus swap for joelwood this week then omeara to s.mitchell next week. And then terlich to Hanley in two more weeks

Any advice, especially on who’s keeping goodes or vlastain or both??

Aaron · 20/06/2013 at 11:56

Maric or McEvoy?

Joel · 20/06/2013 at 17:39

Cotchin JPK or J.Selwood?

cotchandmurph · 20/06/2013 at 19:58

JPK

[email protected] K1nG · 20/06/2013 at 21:31

Which 2 to get in? J.Selwood, Cotchin, JPK, Birchall?

James · 20/06/2013 at 22:55

How good is Game of Thrones Mick! Love it

Dylan · 20/06/2013 at 23:14

O'Meara to Joel Selwood this week? Then Im planning on strapping some cash together to trade Terlich to Pendles in the coming weeks

Wayne · 20/06/2013 at 23:24

I've got two spots left in my midfield. Should I give them to Joel Selwood (super cheap this week) and Pendles, or wait a couple rounds and pay extra for Jobe Watson and Pendles?

cotchandmurph · 21/06/2013 at 09:21

No take joel and pendels