NAB Cup Form Analysis – Brisbane, Gold Coast, Hawthorn
BRENT MOLONEY PUTS HIS HAND UP
It was hot, humid and slippery. The ball was like a piece of bloody soap. The footy wasn’t pretty but there was still plenty of AFL Fantasy related relevance to take away from the GABBA last night.
- Brent Moloney (MID, $362,400 SC) looked lean, hungry, relentless and sharp. Looks the in and under hard nut the Lions need. Gathered 42 DT points against the Hawks then impressed again with limited game time in the Gold Coast game. Has featured prominently this pre season in the mid price cheat sheet and looks a good mid priced option. At this stage he won’t be in my team but certainly edged closer to a berth.
- Tom Rockliff (MID/FWD, $520,500 SC) was good. He gains forward line eligibility this season which makes him pretty attractive. I reckon he will spend much of his time in the guts this season. 9 touches game 1 then a game high 13 in the Suns game. Consider.
- Patrick Karnezis (FWD, $262,200 SC) surprised even this old legend of Australian Rules Fantasy Football. Was used in defense and looked bloody impressive. 7 kicks, 3 handballs, 3 marks, 2 tackles v Hawthorn with the second highest Dreameam score for the game on 45. Didn’t play the second game.. cant wait to see his next hit out. Watch. If you are considering a mid priced strategy he could be a nice smokey.
- Sam Docherty (DEF, $115,900) was pretty quiet all night – must slip down the pecking order of defense rookie options but very early days folks.
- Aaron Cornelis (FWD, $256,500) and Mitch Golby (DEF, $406,600) also impressed.
GOLD COAST SUNS
- Rory Thompson (DEF, $283,400) destroyed a sluggish Buddy Franklin and also gathered the 3rd most Dreamteam points for that game with an impressive 38.
- Harley Bennell (MID, $521,900) has bulked up right through the trunk under the watchful eye of his mentor Karmichael Hunt and looked bloody dangerous. I reckon he could reach elite this season. Consider for your midfield.
- Jaeger O’Meara (MID, 115,900) did a bit in each game without being brilliant. Still locked in on my midfield bench as a ready made senior footballer.
- Gary Ablett (MID, $740,500) did what he always does, forget about any pre season injury whispers. Lock.
- Zac Smith (RUCK, $374,900) scored strongly… could be ready to break out this season. Watch. At age 23 as an early developing big fella 2013 could be his time.
- Matt Suckling (DEF, $442,400) was everywhere in game 1 collecting 8 sizzling kicks and 5 handballs. Hawthorn will try to get the ball in his hands whenever they can. On the other side of the coin opposition will be hell bent on making sure the ball does not get into his hands.
- Jonathan Simpkin (MID, $198,000) had a corker in Hawks game 2 topping the pops with 11 kicks (more kicks than anyone in a single game for the evening). Great pickup from Geelong… awkward price though.. not a yes from me yet.
- Jarryd Roughhead (FWD/RUCK, $554,800) played down back for the night. Looks a good defender but Supercoach and AFL Fantasy-wise I don’t like it. Watch to see if this was just a bit of hit and giggle or if he is being groomed to help out a flimsy Hawk back half.
- Buddy Franklin (FWD, $618,000) looked sluggish and may just have had the odd pie in the off season. At this stage I’ll go into season 2013 without him.
Over to the community – what did you think of last night?