- Mature aged midfield rookie Kane Mitchell lived up to the hype and then some. Looked rushed in game one against the Saints (6 touches @ 33% disposal efficiency) but adjusted to the pace in the Crows game and killed em. He accumulating 11 touches (equal game high disposals). Have a read of Mr Crimmins review of him here.
- Midfield rookie Ollie Wines looked very solid and ready for senior game time. The only knock I have on his is the fact he has the slightly elevated rookie pricetag ($169K Supercoach) in a season where there is again plenty of dirt cheap midfield rookie cattle.
- The angry ant Jake Neade had just the one hitout against St Kilda and looked bloody good. There’s only 64kg of him but he looked quick, good in close and pumped the ball inside 50 repeatedly. He’s a FWD/MID rookie at $115,900 Supercoach bucks. Forward rookies are thin on the turf this season so keep watching this kid.
- We mentioned in the podcast a few weeks back that Ken Hinkley wanted to run Angus Monfries through the middle and he didn’t let us down. Only had about a half in game 1 for 6 touches but then had 11 touches in game 2. 83% disposal efficiency, 2 clearances and a goal. At just $356,700 Supercoach dollars as a dual position MID/FWD many are having a closer look at young Gus.
- Sam Colquhoun features prominently on the rookie cheat sheet. Played just half a game but smacked out 19 points and looked lively enough.
- Other Fantasy Footy notables were Chad Wingard who impressed and Matthew Broadbent who I believe may well extend his game to the next level in season 2013
THE MIGHTY SAINTERS
- Was looking forward to seeing ex Gold Coast ruck Tom Hickey ($308,200 Supercoach). He beat Ben McEvoy soundly in the Saints intra club. Played second fiddle to Big Ben in game 1, but then looked good against Redden from Port in game 2. Haven’t seen enough yet to justify a 2nd or 3rd Supercoach or Dreamteam ruck position.
- Forward rookie Tom Lee was rubbish in game one (-4 DT) but settled in his second hitout. Watch him in the Saints next hitout – will drift to the outer edges of the rookie cheat sheet I’d suggest and I didn’t see enough to get me excited here.
- Arryn Siposs played the role vacated by Jason Gram and/or Goddard off half back. Watch his very closely… we could have a FWD line special here.
- Warm your 7th, 8th or 9th midfield position for Brad Crouch ($115,900). Collected possession at will and looks a lock alongside O’Meara and Viney for mine.
- Sam Kerridge. Need to see more from you Sam.. cmon mate your career is in the balance!
- Josh Jenkins. A $363,300 RUCK/FWD who many might consider as their second on field ruckman after his display in the final game of the evening. 2 goals 2 behinds and plucked 5 marks.
Let’s not forget The Bloody Heat. The game was played in uncomfortable conditions which we should note. Intensity was lower than it would have been on a mild afternoon. And of course.. importantly.. let’s not forget that a huge chunk of your top line players were missing. Many of these blokes looked better than they really are against softer opposition.
How did you see the Adelaide chapter of the weekend’s footy?