Some fatherly advice from old Jock
After 37 years in the Fantasy Footy industry I still get a tingle down the old spine at this time of the year. The NAB Cup looms large and Fantasy Footballers nation wide are preparing for the most intensive pre season in recent memory.
Relationships will be tested. Families will be neglected and animals will go un walked as we all strive to win that league. To beat our mates. To beat our brothers, our sisters and our bosses.
Some suggest that I may be the finest AFL Fantasy Footballer to have graced the Australian Supercoach and/or Dreamteam landscape. I’ll let history be the judge of that. All I want to do here today is pass on a few simple pieces of advice before you get too settled on a starting team in 2013.
- Research. And when you think you’ve finished researching research some more. More often than not it’s the coach who puts in the hours that gets the bikkies. You can be born with as much Supercoach talent as you like – if you’re not prepared to sit down and do some hard yards you won’t enjoy the spoils of Supercoach supremacy
- Prioritise. You need to ask yourself some serious questions. Friends, family, wives, husbands, animals, personal hygeine, mental health… they’ll still be there in September. Your Supercoach team won’t.
- Get rid of your team bias. I love the St Kilda football club. But to be the best you need to construct your team with ruthless discipline. No. That bloke from your team who started to show a bit last year will not be a Supercoach steal this year. (unless he’s Luke Shuey, Daniel Hannerberry, Jack Steven or Shaun Atley).
- Outsmart yourself. The game changes every year. Dual position players. Multi bye rounds. Extra trades. Captain loopholes. Every season I tell my beloved Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Community to KEEP IT SIMPLE. You don’t need to go out of your way to ensure you have coverage for every bye round. You shouldn’t take more risks with your team selection because we have more trades this year. Do not pick a spud just because he is a dual position ruckman. Many fell off the fantasy footy cliff getting sucked into the bye round scenario last season… those who listened to old Jock dominated. Pick the best quality Supercoach players you possibly can. Then… and only then should you look at other factors.
- Trade like a millionaire. Yes we have extra trades this season in Supercoach. They won’t be much good to you in the pointy end if you’ve spent them all by round 15.
The pre season is about to kick into second gear folks. I want every follower of my beloved Fantasy Footy Community to think about the wisdoms that I have passed on today. From myself, Higgo, Crouching and all at the Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Community we hope you get stuck into your NAB Cup research like snarling bloody hungry dogs.
Now here for you is a selection of research material to assist you during NAB Cup weekend #1:
- PODCASTS: The weekly Supercoach and Dreamteam podcast taking Austrlia by storm
- ROOKIES TO KEEP AN EYE ON: Rookie Cheat sheet version 2, Mature aged rookies to watch with Mr Crimmins, Vince Gambino’s rookie watch
- MID PRICED PLAYERS TO WATCH: Mid Priced cheat sheet version 2, Vince Gambino’s Mid Pricers
- PREMIUMS AHOY: Premium Player reviews, Premium midfielder poll, The Premium Trap by The Mad Irishman
- PICKING A WINNING TEAM: Higgo looks at the 2012 winning Supercoach Team
Your mate,Jock Reynolds