We are living in a time of fantasy. At this stage of the preseason, serious fantasy coaches are quietly gathering information on team structure and game strategy. Analysing the past two champion Supercoach teams gives us excellent game information on both team structure and game strategy.

When knowledge becomes POWER! Congratulations to this year’s winner;  POWERTOTHEPEOPLE

2012  Winning Supercoach Team

2012 afl supercoach fantasy winner

2012 afl supercoach fantasy winner

• Analysis of initial team structure and bye strategy

• Final Team Breakdown

• Trade moves

afl fantasy trades supercoachObservations

Given the mass of information above, I’ll get things started by noting some points of interest as I see them.

Averaging spend of $100,000 less per player in Defence compared to Midfield. New midfield rule with 8 scoring midfielders. How much of your spend will be in the middle?

DID NOT TRADE until Round 3 and used one of these to sideways trade Montagna for Mitchell. Montagna started the season with two SC scores of 81. His value was set to drop considerably however a round 3 score of 116 saw him drop by only $24,000. After scores of 139 and 141, Mitchell scored an 83 in round 3. A risky move early by The Power (Powertothepeople Coach) with a frustrating Round 3 result, but a good move in the long run with Mitchell scoring more than  10 points on average per game over Montagna – an extra 200 points towards The Power’s final score.

Operation Generate CASH. The trading of Mumford down to Maric and using Ablett as a liquid asset over his injury period were the two key moves that won Power the cash. Ablett’s liquid value went into Trelor, Christensen and Thompson for four rounds after which Christensen was traded out for Ablett. This move alone made Power $36,600 (Ablett value drop and Christensen’s increase). The cyclic generation and use of cash is certainly what defines a good team.

No frantic trading around the byes, in fact Beams was traded in regardless of his upcoming bye.

– Rookies Rides! Another key factor in Power’s success was his knack of not only selecting the right rookies, but cashing them in at the right time or knowing when to ride them. Did you trade in Giles during his Round 13 – 17 form slump only to be shattered by his upcoming 177 and 142 and his 115 game average coming home? The Power didn’t.

Franklin was never traded out! $617,800 of Premium forward sitting on the pine for 6 weeks! The Power’s strategy of trading hard early with a big bank meant that by the time Franklin injured his hamstring in Round 15, very few trades were left. Definetly not enough to be sideways trading when the extent of Franklin’s injury was so speculative. As luck would have it, Porplyzia reversed his run of poor form and covered Franklin nicely with scores of 128, 105 and 100. At this point Porplyzia is injured and The Power finally cashes his cow with the questionable shoulders that he purchased for $229,600 for $428,700. Nice.

Was The Power’s last trade in a Supercoach sign for 2013? Will you be starting with Nathaniel “Teen-Wolf” Fyfe?

So while it is tempting to  focus solely on which players you will be drafting,  before any of these squad decisions can be made, wise coaches will be thinking more about general team structure and strategy.

Perhaps some of the points raised here will inform you when making these crucial, season defining decisions in the lead up to the 2013 AFL Fantasy season.

Kind Regards,

Peter Higginbotham

Discovered the podcast that is taking the Fantasy Footy world by storm? Tune into Jock, Higgo and Crouching here

ThebOmb · 20/12/2012 at 13:14

Higgo that was a really interesting read! Very interesting to see the percentage break down of his initial team, and his focus on overall structure

santo · 20/12/2012 at 13:38

13 rookies to start with that is good information. wonder if 15 might be ideal in 2013 with more trades to cash them in with

HawkEye · 20/12/2012 at 13:37

Top notch Higgo!
Gives me hope you know ….
1. My starting team wasn't too different. Reckon he got lucky with Maric when I got unlucky with McEvoy.
2. He made mistakes as still won! Christensen and Montagna were mistakes, think Roughhead had a shocking run home also.
Also, forget Santa, how many sleeps til you release The Higginator again?
Cheers

santo · 20/12/2012 at 13:39

is that the spreadsheet? that was great this season

JohnnoB · 20/12/2012 at 14:04

Beams move – calculated and ballsy. Got him just before he went beserko!
Well played Powertothepeople.

TeenWolf Lover. · 20/12/2012 at 15:57

What price for FYFE? Or should I just lock him in.
GUN Lock at any price.?? Thoughts?
A thought provoking read. Thanks Higgo.

@PeterHiggo · 20/12/2012 at 21:35

At $498,800 and with the loss of Dual position status, Fyfe for 2013 is a real head scratcher. At this stage, if all goes well preseason, he is almost a lock in my midfield. When fit, his scoring potential is hard to match.

Paul S · 21/12/2012 at 15:27

Excellent!
I now have a new stategy regarding trades – I have been far too conservative! Both this year's and last year's winners were pretty much all traded out by Round 15.
Thanks very much for this valuable insight.
Great website …. just found it.

Marty wheelahan · 20/01/2013 at 10:42

Woah, great team movement and the good trades at the right time! Good work! I think ill be basing my team around this structure this year!

Michael T · 30/01/2013 at 21:40

Hey guys, Im "Powertothepeople" interesting to my season dissected by external eyes but pretty well on the money with most observations.
Until about Round 18, there was no planning/preparation for a shot at the overall winner tho.

SuperCodge · 22/02/2013 at 15:56

What did you spend the wonga on 🙂

Michael · 09/03/2013 at 17:10

Actually did the boring thing and banked it haha. Went on holiday, moved house,got a new Tv. Good luck for 2013!

@PeterHiggo · 16/03/2013 at 13:13

Thanks Michael.

Any fresh tips for 2013?

Regards,
        Peter Higginbotham

Dave · 16/03/2013 at 15:33

In 2013 you can play AFL FANTASY LEAGUE. It is Australias richest fantasy competition $150,000. Check it out here http://bit.ly/centrebetafl

Shane · 01/02/2013 at 21:58

He bought in so much cash on the bubble. Interesting to see a few mistakes didn’t cost him at all. But he didn’t get sucked into Stanton unlike me!

aleye72 · 02/02/2013 at 17:04

G8 work Higginator

J-wolf squadron · 16/02/2013 at 11:58

after seeing this article, I feel as though I have one or two too many mid pricers, and need to swap them for rookie's, what does everyone think about, Nathan Bock and Jordan Russell in the backline and quinten lynch and Travis Cloke in the forward line?

J_Miester · 16/03/2013 at 22:00

Ditch all of them…

Bock injured, Russell, Lynch and Cloke won't bring in enough points to build value…

Moving on…

stabas · 25/02/2013 at 23:57

Well it goes to show u can prep and stratagize, but u need to take risks trade agressivly and above all get lucky'awesome work.

Shanen · 14/03/2013 at 14:06

I know I'm late, but great great write up and review here by the statistical genius!

It's one thing to look at the winning team, but the breakdown from Higs here is outstanding! Love it all… key take outs (as well as looking at Jay To, and DT winning teams):
1. The winning team throughout the year does not need to be PERFECT (ie. he started Mumford/Montagna, and got stuck with Buddy on bench for 6 weeks, etc. etc.).
2. Heavy spending in the midfield for a starting team (I'm taking this on board this year!)
3. Love the little close off question… "Was The Power’s last trade in a Supercoach sign for 2013? Will you be starting with Nathaniel “Teen-Wolf” Fyfe?" – WOW that's provoking…. I would love to say yes, and he has been sitting in there for a lot of the pre-season – but notice this actually contradicts with my point 2 – to start with an ultimate midfield. I just don't have the space/structure to fit teen wolf… would love to though – Will be locking him in the wifes team!

Ocker · 26/03/2013 at 16:23

One of the best articles I have read on the winning team.

merchant cash advance · 08/03/2014 at 18:39

Great items from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff
previous to and you are just too fantastic. I really like what you have got
right here, certainly like what you’re saying and the way by which you say it.

You are making it enjoyable and you continue to care for to stay it sensible.
I cant wait to learn much more from you. That is really a wonderful site.

swanson health · 08/03/2014 at 19:03

It’s an awesome article in favor of all the internet visitors; they will get
benefit from it I am sure.

des moines register · 24/07/2014 at 09:10

I have learn a few just right stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting.
I wonder how a lot attempt you place to make the sort of excellent informative
site.

For an awesome detailed explanation please check-out this
amazing site – des moines register

http://www.bigadultdirectory.com/ · 03/08/2014 at 07:08

Excellent post however I was wondering if you could
write a litte more on this topic? I’d be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit further.

Cheers!

For an incredible response please have a look at this site Testcore
Pro review (http://www.bigadultdirectory.com/)