Fantasy Footy bargains 2013 Travis Varcoe

It’s easy to forget that this kid has been playing senior footy for 7 years. He ran out with Central Districts seniors in 2005 at 17. At 24 this season he still has a couple of years to recover from his ailments and hit a solid fantasy footy prime.

Was chatting to Crackers from Geelong during the week. Two big stories here. The inside word out of sleepy hollow is that Varcoe is training as solid as a Mallee Bull and looks set for Round 1. The other is that we could see Varcoe trialed in the Chris Yarran style half back quarterback position this season. The Catters will be hoping for a solid season out of young Travis – this kid is a fair dinkum gun. For us Supercoach, Dreamteam and Fantasy Footy coaches he looks a real bargain prospect if he can get through the preseason and hit the park in the NAB.

The facts:

• 2013 Supercoach price: $268,900
  • 2013 Position: MID/FWD
  • 2012 average: 1 kick for the season in round 22. Then subbed off with an ankle. Probably not the best season in history. Interestingly.. the same season stats for Higgo in 1981 when he tried out for the Karingal Bulls.
  • 2011: 21 games, averaged 72 with 4 100+ Supercoach games
  • 2010: 17 games, averaged 83 with just the 1 100+ Supercoach score

Jock’s Verdict:

On price alone this bloke stakes a solid claim in your fantasy footy forward line in 2013. Priced like a high draft pick but has supreme job security if fit. Looks a big chance to slip into a very pricey half back role. I have been in the caper for a very long time folks.. and I’ll tell you one thing. We have only seen the small tip of the iceberg in terms of what Travis Varcoe has to offer. I would have a good hard think about underestimating what his scoring potential could be in a new role

LOCK HIM IN. In among several cheap forward options this season but almost trumps the lot for price an potential upside. Barring injury.. done deal.

What do you reckon?

Dools · 15/12/2012 at 12:40

Bloody attractive price for a swing player who has proven himself in previous seasons… If the word out of Sleepy Hollow is correct, and thats what they are doing also with S. Motlop this could be an intersting year for the attacking half back ( Pace Long kicks and handball gives and receives) Will look at the pre season roles and styles before Lock but both are on my RADAR!

Angry Bull · 15/12/2012 at 13:07

Mate if you are going to continually bag the Karingal Bulls footy club at least spell it right. Don't see what we as a club have done wrong to you but anyway.

jockreynolds · 15/12/2012 at 14:44

Sorry about that Angry… certainly wasn't such attention to detail re: the English language in my day down Karingal way. And where you goin with what the club has done wrong to me old son? Haven't said a bad word bout the great club.

Dools · 15/12/2012 at 14:58

Ah Jock, You know you made celebrity status when people bag you out…Tall Poppy syndrome and a love of the Karinga Bulls will bring out that mate.
      Keep up the great work and keep churnig out the 'On the Rader' I'm loving it

jockreynolds · 15/12/2012 at 15:47

Ah its all good mate. Learning to enjoy the new found attention.. cant get to the milk bar without the odd autograph anymore. Mate… it's about the young up and coming Fantasy Footballers… just want to get them off the bloody Atari's and Nintendos and the like and into the great game.

Jimmy Griffiths · 15/12/2012 at 14:21

Absolute lock!

Karingal Bulls suck, Frankston Dolphins are way better!!

jockreynolds · 15/12/2012 at 15:48

He is a lock isn't he Jimmy! Thanks for dropping in son.. mate.. both clubs are absolutely magnificent in their own way.

@MRB37 · 16/12/2012 at 22:31

Get him in there. He'll be in my side, even if he is a former Central Districter. Cheap as chips, dual position eligibility and he's got nothing but upside to him if he can get past the injuries.

Havers · 04/01/2013 at 03:49

9 Premierships from 12 GF's in a row…..not a bad effort…..Go UDOGS…

Max · 05/02/2013 at 22:01

Hi Jock,
If you had to pick one between Varcoe and LeCras, who would you pick and why? They are both very good and cheap options.
Thanks
Max

Daniel · 13/03/2013 at 20:26

varcoe, karnesis, or ben sinclair
will varcoe play round 1 or 2 and is he fit enough?

clash of clans hacker.exe · 31/05/2014 at 02:03

Hmm it appears like your site atee my first comment
(it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up
what I had written annd say, I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog.
I as well am an aspiring blog writer but I’m stilll neew to the
whole thing. Do you have any tips for first-time blog writers?
I’d really appreciate it.

Here is my web page; clash of clans hacker.exe