The big man with the big name only got through the 3 games last season which was a kick in the arse for many Supercoach and Dreamteamers nation wide. After a dazzling last half of the season in 2011 many of us had him locked in as our #1 ruck.
- 2013 Supercoach price: $301,100
- 2012 average: 70
- 2011: In every one of his last 9 games he scored 100+, averaging 122
- 2011: Played every game of the season
- Has a very bloody long name. Difficult to fit in header graphics and difficult to discuss on the weekly podcast. Hows about just Berger? Hells Bells.
This time last year my trouser fronts were tingling at the the thought of what the Berger could become in 2012. But an achilles injury for such a large specimen is cause for considerable concern. Whenever big blokes start to play up below the knee experienced fantasy footy coaches such as myself take a backwards step. However there are some extremely tempting factors at play with the big fella;
- As much as I hate to play ducks and drakes with rucks, we do have 30 trades next season. Having to trade him out if he re-injures himself is not the disaster that it once would have been
- That price is cheap. That price is very..very cheap. This bloke has proven point scoring runs on the board and if he stays on the park could form a ruck lock duo with Nic Nat for many years to come
- 24 years old. Will have grown into that big rig just a touch more. If he stays fit could well end up better than the last half of 2011.
Lock him in. While I’m not bullish about him staying on the park there is just too much upside here. That alongside the change to 30 trades has me stuffing him straight into my R2 position.
Right community – over to you. Berger on the menu in fantasy footy in 2013?