Supercoach 2013 Matthew Leuenberger

The big man with the big name only got through the 3 games last season which was a kick in the arse for many Supercoach and Dreamteamers nation wide. After a dazzling last half of the season in 2011 many of us had him locked in as our #1 ruck.

The facts:

• 2013 Supercoach price: $301,100
  • 2012 average: 70
  • 2011: In every one of his last 9 games he scored 100+, averaging 122
  • 2011: Played every game of the season
  • Has a very bloody long name. Difficult to fit in header graphics and difficult to discuss on the weekly podcast. Hows about just Berger? Hells Bells.

Jock’s Verdict:

This time last year my trouser fronts were tingling at the the thought of what the Berger could become in 2012. But an achilles injury for such a large specimen is cause for considerable concern. Whenever big blokes start to play up below the knee experienced fantasy footy coaches such as myself take a backwards step. However there are some extremely tempting factors at play with the big fella;

• As much as I hate to play ducks and drakes with rucks, we do have 30 trades next season. Having to trade him out if he re-injures himself is not the disaster that it once would have been
  • That price is cheap. That price is very..very cheap. This bloke has proven point scoring runs on the board and if he stays on the park could form a ruck lock duo with Nic Nat for many years to come
  • 24 years old. Will have grown into that big rig just a touch more. If he stays fit could well end up better than the last half of 2011.

Lock him in. While I’m not bullish about him staying on the park there is just too much upside here. That alongside the change to 30 trades has me stuffing him straight into my R2 position.

Right community – over to you. Berger on the menu in fantasy footy in 2013?

Like this one? Have a look through the other blokes on Jock’s Supercoach and Dreamteam radar in 2013

Also – this week’s podcast, you’re mad as a cut snake on a hot day if you aren’t onto our weekly show yet

Steve · 12/12/2012 at 21:17

You have convinced me Jock.

Lock in the Berger!

jockreynolds · 12/12/2012 at 21:29

Great stuff Steve! He is looking pretty juicy isn't he cobber!

Steve · 12/12/2012 at 22:24

Sure is mate.

Love the analysis and humor that you, Higgo and Crouching bring to Fantasy Footy.

M.J · 12/12/2012 at 22:29

Jock, have already hit the set and forget button on the big man. As you put it that is cheap, very very cheap. Would have to take him breaking down over the pre-season to reconsider … On Nic Nat on the other hand I'm not certain I have him as a lock just yet. Don't think he's back on the track just yet – def one to monitor over the next couple of weeks.
On an unrelated matter – working on an article on team selection for the community if you'd like to put it up on this great site of your. You should have my email, let me know if you still keen

jockreynolds · 12/12/2012 at 23:06

absolutely son… will be meeting with the board of the JR Community Thursday evening to discuss that exact prospect mate – will contact you by the end of the week

@MRB37 · 13/12/2012 at 10:32

Big 'ol lock for Luey this year. Only risk is if he gets injured again early in the year you'll be stuck trying to find a replacement ruck (if you're starting him) for around the $300K mark, which doesn't go far in Supercoach. Brent Renouf come on down!

jockreynolds · 13/12/2012 at 20:21

Yeah that is an awkward price to try to negotiate, have heard some around the community even suggest Leauey as your 3rd Ruckman! Not too keen on that idea

DNG · 13/12/2012 at 10:58

Jock Strap, reckon I'll be giving him HUGE consideration – also thinking about Witts and Daw so I can run a 1 prem ,1 mid, 2 rook ruck special.

Thoughts?

jockreynolds · 13/12/2012 at 20:20

I'm very interested in big Mr Witts in particular this season. I have soome pretty solid intel that he has been conditioned for the long haul in the seniors this year.. been very well managed by the Pies and this is the year he might be unfurled. Daw… I see him as more a bit player this season, next year could be his year I reckon

Dools · 13/12/2012 at 18:55

At that price I would be mad not to have him Jock…Nice one mate

jockreynolds · 13/12/2012 at 20:20

Yeah especially with those extra trades… lock

Mick · 01/01/2013 at 23:23

C'mon Jock…. Wanna hear about other ruckman besides Matty.
And yes you guessed it, he's not in my side

Jake · 01/02/2013 at 18:28

Have paired leunberger with Ivan Maric. Have currie and witts on my bench. Been sayin witts would come through since he was drafted. p.s. how do I join your league?

ecopolitan executive condo · 04/06/2013 at 01:11

Definitely believe that that you said. Your favourite

justification appeared to be on the web the easiest thing

to take into accout of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while folks think about concerns that they plainly don’t realize about. You managed to hit the nail upon the highest and defined out the entire thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks