Greg “bloody” Broughton
The word in preseason 2012 was that Greg the Skeg would run through the midfield like a footloose and fancy-free Gazelle. That just didn’t happen and my old “mate” Ross the Boss Lyon chopped and changed his role to the frustration of many at the Jock Reynolds fantasy footy community.
We watched as his price dropped from what seemed a reasonable $502,100 down to $369,700 by Round 17 at which time he sat it out for the rest of the season with a bung finger.
Let’s get fair dinkum. When a player falls out of favor with the Boss this is not good for his Supercoach scoring potential. That’s why things are looking interesting for those looking at Broughton after his switch to the Suns in 2013.
There are many who would prefer to trade Taylor Swift into their 2013 Supercoach or Dreamteam team after what happened in 2012… but what might his new role at the Suns mean for his scoring potential?
- Can score. No doubts here. Unless given a defensive role his scoring potential is up there with the best backs going around.
- In 6 of his 15 games in 2012 he smacked out 100+ scores… not all that shabby. Is this what we can expect when he plays in a more attacking possie at the Suns?
- He averaged 97 Supercoach points in the 3 years before he was Ross affected.
- With Warnock, Bock, Tape, McKenzie and co also down back at Gold Coast I can see Broughton slipping back into his promiscuous ball gathering best down back.
- Will be priced at the higher end of midprice with genuine potential for becoming a regular premium scorer.
- Many – including myself – are predicting a significant improvement from the Suns in 2013.
- As one of the cornerstones here at the community Crouching One (follow him on Twitter here) would say…. BURN!!! Yes… he fits into the category of one of those buggers who have burnt many of us from the absolute upper echelon of the elite (myself) to the suburban weekend Fantasy Footballer. Will you look at yourself in the mirror the same way if you fall for the old 3 card BURN trick?
- Broughton is a WA lad! He plaed in Subiaco’s 2006, 2007 and 2008 WAFL premiership winning teams before making the cross over into AFL. Dont gloss over the affect that crossing the Nulabor might have on his mental state….. how will be settle in away from home?
- How have the other big names who have headed to the Suns fared? (barring Gary Ablett who is an absolute freak). Something in the water over there seems to make the ring ins waltz around like the ants pants rather than play good footy.
At this stage Broughton will be a starter in JR Brumby FC in Supercoach season 2013. But I’ll tell you one thing.. the earliest hint of disquiet regarding his transition to the Gold Coast and I’ll be hitting that trade button quick sticks.
Who else will risk the BURN factor and go with Greg Broughton in 2013?