I can understand why this towering future champ of our magnificent game took a while to establish himself. I put it down to an identity crisis which has resulted in some insecurity. You see his old man left homeland Switzerland in 1986 to open a French restaurant in Perth. Poor young Matty wouldn’t have known if he was Arthur or Martha in his younger years and no doubt he approached his first years in the AFL doe eyed and unsure of his place in the order of things.
Fast forward to round 23 2011. Matthew faces the twin towers of NicNat and Big Cox against the West Coast Eagles. Not only does he more than hold his own but he picks up a lazy 126 Supercoach points in the process. The rise of Matthew Leuenberger is nigh folks and I don’t want you – my mates – my followers and my Fantasy Footy Community to miss the boat. Resident mathematical guru Peter Higginbotham has fed me the stats which I’m sure you’ll find bloody interesting;
- Hasn’t missed a game in the past 2 seasons
- Is 24 years old. A spring Chook for a ruckman which tells me the upward curve is set to rise some more.
- Averaged 58 in 2009, 68 in 2010, and 102 in 2011
- Averaged 130 in the last 5 games of 2011. The Lions only won 1 of these, and opposition included Collingwood, Sydney and West Coast.
- High score of 172 late in 2011. Sure, against the Suns but shows he will make a hell of a lot of hay when the opportunity arises
- Reasonably priced at $554,2oo in Supercoach. Will be the 5th most expensive but in my opinion will rise to the top 2 in 2012.
I’ll be slotting the big Swiss/French/West Australian into my Supercoach and Dreamteam teams quick smart in 2012. Matt joins Brendon Goddard, Matt Priddis, Scott Pendlebury and Bretty Deledio as the first 5 of my 10 must have players for the upcoming season.