A LOOK BACK ON 2018

The Jock Reynolds team is gearing up for the off-season.

But, as a wise man (Lek) once told me, to look forward, first, you must look back. So, I assembled the crew to look back on our seasons for 2018 and go back through it, to learn from the mistakes, to once again place our minds in the throbbing, pulsating mass that is Supercoach season, and remember the year that was.

Also I wanted to do it because Damo and I had a good season and everyone else was garbage, so it was also part of me putting them in their places. Barron unfortunately couldn’t deal with it and ran off into the hills of Adelaide, but I mean two outta three ain’t bad.

So, without further ado, here is the look back at season 2018. Jump into the comments below and reflect on your season, and start talking shop for 2019.

THE GARY ABLETT JNR MEMORIAL TROPHY FOR THE BEST SELECTION:

This award recognises the long service Gary Ablett Junior has provided for Supercoaches over the past 10 seasons, by recognising the best performance on the Supercoach field for 2019.

Patch: Jackson Macrae a million times over. It was on his back I hit rank 35 during the season. Also a shout-out to the community’s champion Toby McLean for being a dead-set gun.
Lekdog: Clayton Oliver and Patrick Cripps. Both are young, both are contested bulls and both are men I’d like to cuddle. Cripps was in everyone’s side but Oliver was a bit of a P.O.D heading into the season, paid off in spades. Both in line for a 2019 selection too!
Kev: Uhh…. Of the on field 22 that started round 1, only 3 made it to round 23 – Titch, Gawn, Dev Smith. Sicily was super handy before injury though.
Damo: Devon Smith and James Sicily.

THE GREG BROUGHTON/ZAC DAWSON AWARD FOR THE WORST SELECTION:

Patch: Look, maybe not starting with Cripps was an error. Maybe. Possibly. If I had my time over, hypothetically I would consider starting him. Maybe. Michael Walters was also a slightly less intelligent trade-in option.
Lekdog: Matthew Kreuzer, I should’ve listened to Patch. The Cox Curse lives on, no number one ruckman will ever back it up two years in a row again! Flicked him as soon as he got injured but boy did it start my year off on the wrong trajectory. What’s his price going to be in 2019? Asking for a friend.
Kev: Jack Billings, Michael Walters, Shane Savage.
Damo: Tom Liberatore

HE DANIEL RICH SCORING A TON AWARD FOR MOST UNEXPECTED THING TO HAPPEN:

Patch: Having a good Supercoach side? How did that happen? It seems 2018 truly was the darkest timeline. Also – that gosh heckin darn Cox Curse coming back. Just as well jump on board it, it will break. Will 2019 be the year? (No. No it will not).
Lekdog: That my call on Menegola was right! He averaged over 100 for the year despite a stacked team around him. Too bad a traded him after Round 2 like an idiot.
Kev: Tim Kelly being an absolute jet.
Damo:  We saw a lot kids become men in the wake of some wonderful opportunities and also some unfortunate injuries, and yet people were still weary to pick them, even in the eleventh hour of the season.

THAT THING THAT YOU DID THAT YOU LEARNT THAT LESSON FROM:

Patch: It doesn’t matter how good your early squad is, all it takes is one dodgy trade or a sore hamstring to drop off the face of the earth. Pick durable players.
Lekdog: Don’t trade out premos too early, unless they play in defence, looking at you Hibberd and Hurley.
Kev: Actually bye planning is really helpful. Moved from 14k to 4k over the three weeks.
Damo: Picking someone on form can be the biggest trap, but so can reputation if the form was never there to begin with.

THE SHAUN ATLEY AWARD FOR PEOPLE WHO MAY OR MAY NOT BREAK OUT NEXT YEAR:

Patch: Jack Billings. Come at me.
Lekdog: Trent Dumont, was bloody good towards the end of 2018. Interested to see how he goes with all these new faces at North.
Kev: Hugh McCluggage and James Harmes.
Damo: Jacob Hopper.

How do you rate your 2018 season, community? What do you want to see from us next season? What off-season content do you want?

Peace out,

Patch

1. neil DemonsDelight says:

Well done guys Being a Melbourne supporter it was easy to select the Gary Ablett— OLIVER by a mile With all Australian Gawn in tandem he was a monty. My worst like a lot of coaches was BILLINGS and against GATOR'S strong advice in I tumbled What a hopeless dud never again. WALTERS was an unlucky second to Billings ,another moron for me.. The biggest lesson I took out of the season was something I promise each year but never never deliver. HOLDING TRADES. The byes I handle well each year with heaps of planning research and most of all luck .Rookies also are relatively easy with research. Trade retention becomes a nightmare late in the season and I usually run short early post byes Two years back I was I was easily on top in most leagues with no trades and went out quickly No Trades is bad news The SHAUN ATLEY ,a great name choice boys, took a lot of thought. I have chosen HARMES. just like KEV. Harmes is now a special player for Goody An elite tagger who also hits the scoreboard .Harmes is ruthless.. That's the way I see it For me holding trades and the initial team is all important. GOOD LUCK NDD

2. Billo says:

Nice, thanks boys. A focus on rookies is always helpful pre season, Love the player profiles as well.

Doc first picked next year for me!

Bring on 2019.

3. Dice_real says:

I know you like Mclean Patch and I bloody hope he doesn't do a Billings next year.
    But this year first 10 games 8 tons, last 12 games 2 tons avg 81

4. gator59 says:

A big NO NO for me is not to have holidays come round one and NOT having internet at the arse end of Tassie and couldn't change my pre season side which cost me 4 trades to correct.. It put me behind the 8 ball right from the start….. Good planning during pre season and holding your nerve when it comes to trading players.. My best move for the year was not starting Billings when all were saying he'll have a breakout year.. I seemed to have had all the big guns that had LTI's but oh well there's always next season … Bring it on I say

• Russty_ says:

Hey Gator, yeah next time mate, don't go getting involved in any Kettering incidents, or hunting Tasmanian Devils when you should be Supercoaching…Plus, you could always end up like Piggyboy from Deliverance if you're not careful lol.

• Neil Demons Delight says:

I think your top move my friend was getting Macrae early before most got him Brilliant move . I went for Shaw instead that round No Sainters for me 2019 NDD

• Russty_ says:

The Saints make shocking recruitment decisions on the whole mate…I wouldn't trust any of them in the future will be any good. I mean..Hanneberry…really?

5. Russty_ says:

Hey guys, nice work, all in all I had a pretty average year really, finished around 10,000 th, so went backwards from last year but injuries were a bugger in 2018.
    Errors, do-overs I'd change would be… not starting Billings, Petracca, Ellis Yoelman (traded him out too late after he peaked in price), Liam Ryan (wasted 2 trades on him). Didn't start with Cripps or Coniglio and should've. Never got Macrae in..keeping Martin after paying top dollar for him.
    Had to play 3 rooks onfield in the last round due to lack of trades so…will try to be more frugal next year.

For next year I'd like to see you guys keep a tighter leash on the nasty multiple personality trolls who sometimes come in here, and deal with them accordingly..either by banning them or making them start a registered intense debate account so they have to log in as their actual selves.

As far as content goes, you guys did really well this year and everyone appreciated you guys righting the ship, even after the late start with the whole Jock leaving thing this season.
    Because you run so many articles concurrently during the season, maybe a little marker next to the latest article with the most recent comments could be a good thing? Keep up the good work fellas, cheers.
    Russ

• neil Demons Delight says:

You're right Russty it was great when the crap disappeared .I would like to see more of Old Ocker Ranger Derek Pieman and Trigg in preseason write ups. A lot of these disappeared when the two morons invaded the sight All offer top advice to all particularly to new coaches

• dontblushbaby says:

We need to have a registered ID for posting comments, there has been too many keyboard warriors who post crap under an another name/s
        If this cannot be actioned the administrator needs to be more diligent and block / cancel any of the unsocial behaviour from the ones who continue to disrupt this site.

• Russty_ says:

Yeah agree Neil, those guys offer solid learned advice unlike the 2 morons you mentioned who offered nothing but lies and conjecture, not to mention the abuse and constant demeaning of well meaning posters.
        The disappointing thing for me when I was trying to get rid of those 2 stains was that I was told, "you can't ban someone for being annoying"…when they were clearly being a pair of abusive egomaniacs.
        Hopefully things will change next season as I'm sure those two, especially the one that was banned will try to slime their way back in. They thrive on attention and they got plenty of that here.

6. Rick Grimes says:

I see Suns delisted Lyons and he's been linked with Brisbane. He's got a big ceiling and was averaging close to 100 in a very average team. Brisbane look on the up and could be a sneaky pod.

7. Tyruddanaut says:

You have to love Yeo, Laird and Lloyd up back. They all scored very high and ultimately were the best defensive premiums for the year. I had two, but would give the one I didn't have, Lloyd, the GAJ award if I had him. It's Yeo for me.

Zac Dawson award can't go past Zorko, who averaged less than 80 when I had him and went down in price over 150,000.

The most unexpected thing to happen was coming rank 120,000 one week with a full playing team 🙁

Simply the year where mature-age rookies really stood out in every position through the entire season. Doedee, Kelly, Holman, Fritsch, Ryan.

Jack Billings, Josh Dunkley ready for the super season, but don't forget the bleeding obvious, Tom Lynch

• Neil demons delight says:

Wouldn't get too carried away with either Billings or Lynch .I held both for long periods .Nothing but burnmen would rather have KIRBY.At least fatso could kick

8. randomcliche2 says:

TRADES TRADES TRADES as vice-president of the no-trades left committee I hereby declare weeks 3-5 no trades weeks (but for LTI's >4 weeks).

A bit of background. I traded hard with a view to maximising the cash generation of each position on the park and getting to full premo quicker. This was deliberate strategy. It worked I got to full premo quicker. However, positions lost in last 3-5 rounds for various issues undid all of this good work, and then some.

I don't think its unreasonable to have 1 trade per week left over after getting to full premo, this is a sharp turn-around from my previous thoughts… This would focus on generating the maximum value per trade, rather than maximum value per position, an interesting tweak to my thinking that the value of trade was to get it on field as fast as possible. It also allows for fixing things that are premo but not optimal (e.g. Martin (R2), Grundy in others teams).

Another take-out is my view on mid-pricers, I've normally been a fan, running 17 non-rookies (>$250k) in my starting squad – with a view to capturing the likes to Lloyds etc al (who did, but missed Yeo). I will trim this down. Most teams run 14-16, I'll be back in that range this season.

My best buy was Lloyd. My worst was not buying Grundy when when Kreuzer went down. Would I buy Nic Nat again? No.

All the best and I hope you have learnt from my failed foreay into building a full premo team fast.

• randomcliche2 says:

PS. Anyone keen on Mummy? And what's his price going to when he finally gets on the park in round 3? As lek says 'asking for a friend'.

• Russty_ says:

Hey RC2, I agree, conserving trades is paramount for next season as it was the last one…I had a strategy where I thought I'd try to save trades but at the same time, try to stay in it rankwise and be there in the top 8 come finals time.
      I think thinking about rank too much early on is a mistake as one can always come back and make a good run at a decent rank and do well in Leagues if we are just a bit more patient and bide our time and save those trades.
      Fixing things..seems to be all we were doing towards the end, I thought I'd have enough trades to see the season through but ended up playing 3 rookies onfield in my grand final lol…fail!
      I think choosing reduced priced premos from the start is much more important than taking the gamble on genuine mid to lower priced players from the start..as well as having all the right rookies.
      I also had some midpriced failures but I still think underpriced premos to start with is a good call, but not midpriced (returning from injury/ second chance older players).

The worst thing is when you've made your starting choices thinking they're gonna be good and they end up failing so we have to replace them, burning more trades..on the other hand, if you keep them, and they continue to fail, we end up going backwards compared to others and slip down the rankings..and the League Ladder..so you're damned if you do and if you don't, making starting choices really important.
      My takeaway from last season is, not to worry about rank so much in the first half of the season and come back strong in the second half, when others are dropping away, the way to do this is to have trades ready to make moves with…cheers.

• Randomcliche2 says:

Thanks Rusty, I agree it's much more reliable to pick a fallen premo than a breakout contender and having Shane Savage and Christian Petracca was damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. You're on the money for all those playing along at home!

9. Neil demons delight says:

Most coaches recently would have opted for the same as you Random given many had around 12 prems and 4 mid pricers. Like you I think this will be a mistake 2019. I intend to go only to M4 G /G rucking and a max of 3 Fwds or defs giving me 9 prems that I hope will stay all year. The 3 saved spots will go to rookies. So even this early my plans are 9 PREMS 4 MIDPRICE and 17 ROOKS as opposed to 12 -4-14 . last year This will see me behind early and at the tail in leagues. I will wait for value prems to appear and swoop with a decent bank . Mummy appeals a lot especially given Gawn's possible role change or rested games Pruess is not there for nothing and that's a worry Gator Russty and myself lost 1000's of spots late thru lack of trades and both of them were near or inside 1000 at one stage.Trades are crucial late cheers

• Randomcliche2 says:

Hi Neil

Yeah, I spent an inordinate amount of time counting the structures of premiums, mid pricers and rookies and non-rookies. If we use say $250k as the rookie non-rookie cut off, most teams on the RMT threads are a 15/15 split. 16/14 and 14/16 covers almost everyone else. Most teams spend 98%+ budget. I ran a league to years ago where the requirement was 17/13 split. The league performed fine, nearly everyone what Tom Mitchell which was a requirement for good performance that year. But getting teams into the top 1% was achieved, but individual performances were variable.

I do like your 12-17 idea, but I would suggest that 13-17 might be more prudent, you will still most likely be in the 3rd SD w.r.t. to numbers of rookies. 12-17 probably means not spending full cap. My 'wife' did this a couple of years ago, and the points lost to overall ranking in the first 5 rounds was eye watering. Team was based on $9m spend. Also, lets consider the situation where you say keep $500k in the bank with a view to a double upgrade in round 5. You may have made $100k more than a mid pricer over that period, but you will spent an extra trade and lost points in relation to someone running a full budget scenario with an extra premo to get to the same number of premos at that point. I'm not saying this is wrong, but do consider it in your calcs.

The league vs overall ranking strategy is very different from a starting team perspective i think, especially if your league is littered with people going for overall. I think the optimal strategy in this scenario is somewhere between 10-14 premos.

Email me if you do decide to spreadsheet up some options with expected points, expected value change, across various starting structure scenarios. 0 0 5 3 4 2 @ g m a i l . c o m and I'll provide some more commentary etc.

Cheers,
      Andrew

PS It might even be a good to have a page for SC Team structure discussion, I've just created a page for it on FB, so come join it if you want (open to all reputable JR members). I've set up a page here https://www.facebook.com/groups/318157725580368/a… feel free to join and continue discussion there.

• Neil demons delight says:

sorry for the delay RC2. I cant comment via FB as I closed it One of many I suspect .Your wife's views are similar to mine I checked a few years of personal data and was amazed at the amount of prem/keepers in R1 that remained. Last year I thought 12 were genuine uber keepers I ended up with 6.Those 6 everyone had Danger Tich Gawn etc It was a common theme for past years That's why I say 9 uber keepers everyone has and will be there R23. LAIRD YEO DANGER TICH OLIVER FYFE GAWN GRUNDY MARTIN No fwds except maybe Danger. There are plenty such as Dunkley Zerrett.Sidebum etc who present good uber arguments but these are the types that may let you down not GAWN TICH LAIRD ETC.Last yearit was important to pick Macrae and Coniglio early and these will appear again this year Fallen premo for sure but SAVAGE and Petracca ? really Russty At one stage I had 10 DEE players too many I know but Petracca was never in there same as Savage NOT sc relevant. My problem will be finding 9 >250 players onfield. Most years I could count maybe 12 relevant >250 players including bench now I will need 5 more and this may not be possible. Thoughts Andrew

10. TRIGGA_HAPPY says:

Draft.
    Despite all the innuendo think top 3 will go as predicted.
    Walsh, Luko and Rankine.
    Pick 4 that is the interesting one.
    Whoever saints pick will have a flow on effect in top 10 with the crows looking like grabbing the "slider".

Or do the saints trade pick 4 to GC on the night (someone will do a live trade) for 6 and a sweeter?

They appear to be into king or smith (one of which will still be there at 6) so whats the harm in shaking things up?

GC with 4 could take rozee which would hit port right where it hurts. Birds aint gonna fly if they are a flock.

Port will be so pis$ed at saints will bid on blakey at 5 making swans pay for their man.

Go on saints make it interesting…..

• Neil demons delight says:

The reality is ,Trig, you're talking about the Saints here and they have very little logic when recruiting.They need a King badly and one will be there at 6. Bet they pick the joker

11. gator59 says:

Port or Crows would have to give up 2 early picks to the Saints if they want pick 4.. King standing at 204 cm forward don't really appeal to me.. They need a big bodied mid fielder like The Bont / Fyfe / Cripps type but they wont go that way I bet… They'll go for another midget to with the other garden Gnomes that they've already got…. Don't ask me why I've already paid for my membership, But they might surprise me and win 6 games next season

• neil demons delight says:

Hi Gat They didn't get Hanna and Kent .for no reason .Maybe not quite Bont Fyfe or Cripps but the next rung down. With the poor efforts of your tall forwards King is a must. and as Trigg suggests a deal must be done Maybe with Port to include Watts At least he would feel at home with surrounded by duds Hunter is a chance to move into the mids and Coffield is a big body so all is not that bad

• PizzaSafety says:

I actually think the Saints need a medium sized mid who has very good foot skills. Your team has a lot of similar inside types as well as Steven who can't really kick and Ross who is an outside player but isn't incredibly damaging. Billings will probably never be a guy who can line up in the centre square (only the wing), but I believe Gresham could be a guy to play that role.

• dontblushbaby says:

J.Billings was tipped to be big improver this year but failed ? Can Saints fans please explain , will he be a contender for SC in 19 , Thanks