CAPTAIN McCAPTAINFACE Round 12

Filed in Supercoach by on 06/06/2018 • views: 4439

MARGE, THE TRADES ARE ‘ERE!

Remember that classic McCain’s ad back in the day? In the middle of the parched outback, an old codger is looking out over desolate paddocks, desperate for rain. Suddenly – a drop on the roof, and another, and another. “MARGE,” he screams, excitedly, knowing they’ve needed rains for months upon months upon months.

As he runs screaming into the house, the camera pans up, two children eating juicy, crunchy McCain’s corn on the roof, causing big, fat drops of corn juice into trickinig this poor sod into thinking their livelihoods have been saved. “THE RAINS ARE ‘ERE,” we hear him cry gleefully.

That was me opening Supercoach this week, seeing three plump, juicy trades dripping down onto the corrugated iron roof of my side. “THE TRADES ARE ‘ERE,” I screamed, running into my side, only to find no-one there.

In that ad, we never see Marge. We only see the deluded rantings of a man desperate for rain. Think about it – he can see the sky is clear blue. He can see there are no clouds. He doesn’t see rain. He hears what he wants to be rain. This man is at the end of his wits. How can we even be sure Marge is still there? Did Marge even exist in the first place? Did she leave him for another man as life got too tough, the barren land too harsh to live on?

Similarly, in Supercoach (this metaphor is going somewhere, I think) our fields of points are barren. Our premiums are abandoning us. The false promise of trades is luring us in. We’re all going mad. I’m going mad, which you can clearly see from the four paragraphs of absolute drivel I’ve written above. Makes you glad Kev has taken over the Panic Room this season, doesn’t it? Remember how I did this every week in the Panic Room? Good ti-PATCH JUST STOP IT AND GET TO THE CAPTAINS. GOD.

PORT ADELAIDE vs RICHMOND
Friday, 7.40PM, Adelaide Oval

Could the real Dustin Martin please stand up? Where u @ fam? Dusty hasn’t put up a captain-worthy score since round FOUR (141 vs Brisbane), and you got the feeling if he was going to explode, it would be against the Dons on the big Dreamtime stage. Is he an excellent trade-in option? Absolutely. Is he a captaincy option? On current form, no. No he is not.

Only three players will be heading into this game with a five-round average of more than 100 – Trent Cotchin (110), Josh Caddy (107) and The Hoff (102). The Hoff is my pick from those three if I had to choose from them, but I’d probably go with Robbie Gray on the big stage from this game, despite his poor average of 78 against the Tigers.

GEELONG vs NORTH MELBOURNE
Saturday, 1.10PM, GMHBQLXWA Stadium

The Ben Jacobs tag has spluttered to a bit of a halt in recent weeks, with Nat Fyfe getting off the chain in the west and Dayne Zorko breaking it this week with a ton, so do we need to pay attention to who he goes to in the Geelong midfield? He has that much choice, with Patrick DangerfieldGary Ablett and Joel Selwood the big targets for the run-with role.

However, Mitch Duncan and even Tim Kelly or Sam Menegola are at risk of the tag, so I don’t even know where to start so I’m going to ignore it. Dangerfield might be the best bet here, as he’s projected for a 136, but I was projected for 2400 last week in Supercoach and we all know I damn well didn’t hit that, so I’ll take that with a grain of salt the size of Lekdog.

That said, the points may be spread too thin here to make it worth the VC option? I really don’t know, so I’m avoiding. If you’re brave enough to take the plunge, godspeed.

Also, Todd Goldstein is coming off a 123, so I dunno, yeah? I guess? If you wanna you can VC him against the lacklustre Geelong rucks? Maybe?

GWS vs GOLD COAST
Saturday, 4.35PM, Spotless Stadium

The Giants pulled out a gutsy win on the weekend over the Crows, but we didn’t see huge Supercoach output from anyone – only three tons and a top score of 111 by Callan Ward. Champion of the future Josh Kelly is working his way back into form after an extended period out, could this be the game he explodes? I mean it could, but you’d be brave to take the plunge.

Stephen Coniglio‘s last two against the Suns are 92 and 118, but had six shots on goal last week and spent a bit of time forward. He did also sit out a lot of the last quarter after a head knock, so he could be back and ready for a 120. Playing forward could be good news against the Suns anyway… assuming he does play with concussion.

Gold Coast don’t have anyone worth picking at this stage, let alone captaining.

ST KILDA vs SYDNEY
Saturday, 7.20PM, Etihad Stadium

A true Saturday night blockbuster. While the Saints have their tails up, this could get messy fast. Buddy Franklin could kick 12 against an undermanned Saints backline, while Isaac Heeney could also run riot. I don’t like the idea of captaining either of these two, but considering bye players are locked at the start of the last game, you can still use either of these blokes for a VC.

Is there anyone else worth captaining in this game? Maybe a Luke Parker? Scored 125 last week against the Blues with 21 touches and two goals, and could hit the scoreboard in a big way this week. Otherwise, there’s always Jack Billings.

BRISBANE vs ESSENDON
Sunday, 1.10PM, The Gabba

Essendon will lose this. Just watch us. We’ll be rubbish, and I’m very glad I’ll be working and unable to watch it. Dayne Beams has been sensational in the past few weeks and is a real valid option for the *checks notes* four of you who have him. Otherwise Zorko the Magnificent is another one who could have 30 and kick four if you’ve got him.

Zachary Merrett is finding a bit more form, but not enough to captain, and Michael Hurley is still finding his way back into the side. Otherwise the GOAT Shaun McKernan could kick 16 goals and score 946 points, but he could also score 16 points.

FREMANTLE vs ADELAIDE
Sunday, 2.40, Optus Stadium

Nathaniel Fyfe is absolutely the best selec… wait hang on, no. He’s suspended. Maybe Rory Laird as a capt… oh, wait, no he broke his hand last week and might be out. Let’s just look through Adelaide’s list for captaincy optio… oh no. Oh no. They’re ALL INJURED. Maybe Freo has some options?

Mmmmmm. Hmmmmm. Lachie Neale? Maybe? Yeah I guess, he’s okay. Hasn’t been in the best of form, but I mean someone’s got to score points. Will it be him? Will it be Michael Walters? Will it be Cam Ellis-Yolman? I dunno man, this sounds like a dumpster fire of a game from a Supercoach standpoint. Someone will score points but damned if I can tell who it will be.

MELBOURNE vs COLLINGWOOD
Monday, 3.20, MCG

This is the big one, this is it. Brodie Grundy or Maxwell Gawn? The clash of the titans – literally. Which one do we pick? Well, uh, maybe neither?

This has probably swung me away from Gawn, but if I had Grundy I’d still go with him. He’s just very, very good and in incredible form. He’s had one game under 110. ONE.

I’m going to repeat that again. Brodie Grundy has one score under 110 for the season. For 11 rounds. Don’t even think about it.

For those of us without Grundy, we can sort of sob in the corner. We’ll try and be quiet for everyone else but god damn it’s annoying. While we’re wiping tears off our phones, we won’t look at Scott Pendlebury, since I mentioned him on the podcast he’s not scored well. Adam Treloar has his moments, and with an average of 105 against the Dees could be worth a punt on the big stage.

As for anyone else… nah.

PATCH’S TOP FIVE

5 – Luke Parker
4 – Robbie Gray
3 – Lance Franklin
2 – Any of Geelong’s mids
1 – Brodie Grundy

Who are you captaining this week, community?

1. Ken says:

Josh Kelly or Bont as a POD (to trade in)?

2. redherringfc says:

I was going Kelly as vc, but if I get Buddy this week he’ll wear that badge. If he does no good then i’ll have to go with either Oliver or Gawn.

3. Jordan says:

Is darling to gray a good trade even though I already have the Hoff?

• Lazza says:

Yep, But I'd wait a week as Gray will drop a fair bit of coin this week … unless this R12 Bye will really stin _ (insert g or k)

• TapShoes says:

hi jordan you stink

4. The Ranger says:

Love ya work patch.
    Danger into Gawn for me.

5. Jack says:

Yes. Wouldn't worry they play for same side they've already had their bye.
    Gray is a tad overpriced if playing as a deep forward but I think he is still good enough to be top6 fwd playing this role. If he goes back to the midfield he is the best fwd. Close to a must have for me

6. Lazza says:

Haven't made up my mind yet … but thinking either Dusty or Danger into Buddy or Gawn.

7. The Ranger says:

Anyone else struggling for cash generation now?
    I'm gonna be 100k or so below where I wanted to be at Rd14.
    Might have to take Brayshaw over McDonald and live with Taranto at F6 for a while.

8. neil Dees 4 premiers says:

Great stuff same as Ranger for me Danger into Gawn

9. TRIGGA_HAPPY says:

I like this one patch
    Dont think it is the rumblings of a mad man but a pretty well thought out metaphor.
    Or could be a little from column A a little from column B.
    But appreciate the train of thought here and the effort.

As for Marge i reckon "she finally bagged her a homer" 😆

Got no idea who I'm going to VC/ C this week but the article gives us some food for thought.

Insert thinking music … 🎶🎶🎶🎼

10. Noah says:

Oliver or Gawn as C?

11. SCWars94 says:

Damn these byes are going to be very tough…
    Ive got Laird and Fyfe both out and every bench spot this week has Premos….
    Plus probably wont even have 18 this week…

12. Noah says:

OUT: Barry, Henry,Murphy

IN: Austin, Hogan, Mihoceck

Next week will downgrade Higgins and Spargo – which makes room for 2 fwd premos which leaves me with 1 more non premo.

Good Idea?

• SC_Kev7 says:

The rumblings of Mihocek and Reid being unable to be the same team have me preferring to wait until he's a confirmed 3rd gamer. If you wanted to go early on a rookie this week, it would be Ahern (even with his terrible injury history).

• Shake_n_Bake_ says:

They wont be in the same team, he played the Reid , Moore role last week so job security scratchy when even 1 of those 2 come back in.

• The Ranger says:

He played it better than Reidy has been doing eh Shake?!
          Be interesting to see how he goes this week.

• Shake_n_Bake_ says:

1st up in the seniors he was fantastic Ranger. It will definitely give him confidence going fwd.

• neil Dees 4 premiers says:

No doubt Kev .though Mihocek is solid just not this week please NDD

13. KingWinter7 says:

Dusty into Danger or Danger into Grundy or Gawn
    By far the hardest week for captains with Grundy and Gawn playing each other

• Ja191 says:

Dusty is a waste of a vc option rocky will most likely go to him anyway

• JugHead says:

Agree. You can't go near Dusty on current form.
        Despite everyone being disappointed in Danger's year, unlike Dusty, he has only failed to ton up once (a 94. Ok twice he just hit 100) and has scored well enough to keep his price at 600k.
        Option 2 for sure. The decision is Gawn or Grundy.

• JugHead says:

Dusty has a BE of 100 and might not hit it. Unbelievable really…..

14. Matty Humphreys says:

Better trade in byes not issue Hogan or Walters

15. David says:

Thinking of slapping the C on Treloar or Oliver. I don't reckon Gawn will have a good game against Grundy. Will put the VC on Danger as I really don't have many other options.

• The King says:

Bigger chance Grundy won't have a good game against Gawn. Most premo rucks struggle to score against him

• Russty_ says:

Hi King, not sure we can judge Grundy on past performances anymore, he's taken his game to another level this year, especially with his around the ground stuff, tackles, marks, running, goal kicking for example.

• The King says:

Agree, he's elevated to a new level this season and been dominant. Just the fact that almost every ruck has had their lowest or one of their lower scores against Gawn this season.

• Lazza says:

That’s because Gawn wins the tap outs against all comers hands down .. so Grundy’s score will be less than it is usually ..
            Hey, Russty – Grundy is not a big goal scorer, he only has 4 this season vs Gawn’s 7.

• SC_Sixty6 says:

Rd 23 last year Grundy scored 123 against Gawn…..

• Sc_Wow says:

Can see Oliver getting the Pendels treatment in close, may effect him

16. TommyC99 says:

Thoughts on these trades community?
    Findlayson – Austin
    English – Olango
    Gives me 539k next week to target Gaff and another premo

• Russty_ says:

Hey Tommy, why Olango?…maybe Jones from Freo could get a few more games or more if Sandi gets rested or injured.

• TommyC99 says:

Yeah I’m not fussed which one, just picked the first 102k rookie that I knew. Thoughts on the trade russty?

• Russty_ says:

Like it mate, for the sake of maybe having an actual back up Ruck, I'd go the way of Jones though.I'm bringing in Austin this week too.

17. SC_Kev7 says:

Patchy, did you just write a 300+ word in depth psychoanalysis on an ad from… the 90's? Maybe. Are you okay? Call me xx

(No idea who to VC. Hoff, maybe? It's meant to be a wet Friday night. So, Danger into Gawn is probably safer)

18. G.C. says:

Ignoring bye status, which of these forwards would you rather bring in at their current state (price, role, health, BE, etc)?

Menegola, Buddy, Westhoff, Gray

Trying to pick the best possible forwards this year is doing my head in. Thank goodness for Heeney and McLean.

• Russty_ says:

I reckon it's out of Buddy and Menegola, Menegola's doing a bit of a Billings from last year with 2 or 3 really good scores in a row and then a couple of low ones, Buddy probably has the higher ceiling but has also been a bit inconsistent and is also better priced.
      For consistency going forward, I reckon Menegola, for the occasional super high score Buddy.
      Gray could be considered if he plays mainly midfield and not forward.
      Buddy and Menegola would be ideal to end up with.

• neil Dees 4 premiers says:

wouldn't surprise me if the saints defensive injuries might turn out to be a blessing. Getting games into Rice Logan Clarke Phillips and Coffield . is invaluable .Brown and company are getting on. Gator and Russty can take heart that Clarkson did that in the backend last year and he is a better coach than Ritcho. Good luck with your team fellas you need it with Billings there cheers NDD

19. DavidSA says:

Thoughts regarding rookies on the bubble

I like Heron for two main reasons 1) you will squeez the most cash from Murphy to him 2) he will be a future bench looping donut. Food for thought for teams nearly full premium..
    Austin is the best option to downgrade to in defence proving he can score very well but has that annoying rd14 bye. Though not all bad considering Murphy to him is like for like bye structure. Just not gonna get much initial cash for the trade

• Ahmad rubas says:

I like heron considering I didn't plan for my byes very well so bringing him in this week will help for coverage. Only problem I have is does he have the JS to play the next 3 games if he doesn't not worth jumping on

• seen_burns says:

Not sure about Austin, if you watched Alan Richardson on AFL 360 he was only talking about Austin's negatives like how JJK kicked 6 on him, doesn't use the ball the greatest and how Brown, Gilbert, are in there best 22. Don't mind Heron now if he can get picked in the team.

• Russty_ says:

If Brown and Gilbert are in the Saint's best 22 according to Richo, and new guys like Austin aren't, he deserves to be sacked.

• seen_burns says:

Yeah, I was surprised by how he was talking about how he was "forced" to play the younger kids like Austin, Rice etc and that guys like Brown are in the best 22 and if they didn't get injured they would still be in the best 22, but he did also say more so for the leadership for the guys in that young backline.

20. SC_Sixty6 says:

Kelly or Danger into Grundy.

Can see gawn and Grundy both hitting 115 but Grundy more of a pod than gawn so hopefully goes larger for my sake.

21. John says:

Any suggestions for trades got 15 left and & $91k. Got no clue who to trade this week pls help.

DEF: Laird Yeo Sicily Hurley Simpson
    Doedee (Cole Murphy)

MID: Fyfe Cripps Titch Danger Martin Cogs Zorko Holman (Spargo Brayshaw Barry)

RUCK: Gawn Martin (Cameron)

FWD: McLean Heeney Menegola Fritsch Henry Guelfi (Smith Keefe)

22. seen_burns says:

VC Parker or Josh Kelly?

23. TommyC99 says:

Which one community?
    1. Keeffe – Heron (lose swing with Sicily)
    2. Billings – Buddy
    3. Neither

24. Jono says:

Hi Guys,

I currently have $417,200k in the bank with 16 trades left!! The trades I'm thinking of doing this week are Jaidyn Stephenson out and Touk Miller in and Aaron Naughton out and Jacob Heron in, what are your thoughts??

My team is;
    Defenders; Laird,Yeo,Hurley,Tuohy, Witherden and Coffield. (Naughton and Redman)

Mids: Dangerfield,Dusty,Mitchell,Fyfe,Higgins,McLean,Phillips and Spargo. (Crowden,Barry,England)

Rucks: Gawn and Nic Nat (Cameron)

Forwards; M.Robinson,Buddy,Walters,D.Smith,Stephenson and Fritsch. (Rayner and Garlett)

• Russty_ says:

Robinson's out for 3 weeks, Coffield didn't play last week, Laird could be out this week, Yeo is out, Fyfe is out, Mitchell is out, maybe think about upgrading some of your non playing rookies and Robinson to guys who are playing?
      Potentials are Austin, Ahern, Mihocek, Moore.
      Naughton should be back next week. Have Redman or England even got a game yet?

25. Jack says:

Mark Stevens reporting that a big name Tiger will not play this week. I reckon it's Menadue

26. TRIGGA_HAPPY says:

I see the herald sun has just released the "trigga" mid season review. 🙊

Nice job to everyone who put in a response.

Though it looks like Ryan was not as big of pod as i thought well maybe just not in this community

Great minds eh?

• neil Dees 4 premiers says:

please explain

• Russty_ says:

Oh hey Trig I just found it, it was released at 8.30 this morning, hence being hard to find but yeah, it's like they copied your format 🙂

27. Steeeve says:

Wait so now we have three options for defensive rookies.

Logan Austin. Coach is unimpressed with him so far and has said so publicly
    Milhocek. Coach says Reid will squeeze him out the team in all likelihood
    Heron. Is not good at football and won't score many points. Future loophole option only

Oh boy

• Ja191 says:

Austin – 26 disposals 14 marks @ 84% this week and 23 disposals 8 marks @ 82% last week. Am I missing something? How the hell is he unimpressed with that? is it just me or is Richardson an absolute potato

• The King says:

Unfortunately with Gilbert, Carlisle, Brown all to come in, you can't say Austin has good JS and not worth the elevated price. Especially if trading Murphy and only gaining 40k

Agree on Mihocek with Reid.

No idea who Heron is, never heard of him before the last 2 weeks but with GC being a mess, could be the best option

28. Nuggety says:

Great read Patch! Dusty into Danger for me.

• TOPHAWK1 says:

Agreed! Dusty will brush off that Rocky tag like a fly. Then Rocky back doing what he does best. Score SC points

• SC_Sixty6 says:

😂 so at least half a game rocky will tag…..then hopefully can replicate his points last week.

• Box says:

Dusty AWOL………………….

29. TommyC99 says:

Thoughts on Billings – Buddy

30. Tyruddanaut says:

WHAT are everybody’s thoughts on ahern’s JS. Mihocek, Heron and Moore have terrible JS and there are few rookies available.

I’m also tempted to go Bews. I only have Laird in my defense for the R14 bye

31. Dermin8r says:

You've gotta laugh at the unpredictability of the AFL…after a season of planning and strategic trading to have adequate cover for the bye rounds, take a bow Nathaniel Fyfe, for leaving me a man short for round 12 and removing my preferred Captain option…Who else is in trouble this week?

• theRealPod says:

The bye rounds are definitely challenging, more so this season. I think the majority will struggle so we're all in the same boat. I might go fishing.

• Valens_FC says:

Front loading with a few round 12 premos was a logical and sound strategy given only 4 teams on a bye this week, but it now leaves many teams effectively in checkmate with Dusty and probably Laird joining Fyfe on the sidelines.

Sideways on your round 12 premos who have nothing wrong with them? Sideways the above 3 who are all short-term outs, if so who with…. only Port and Gold Coast won't miss a game from here so almost pointless bringing someone in who will miss through a bye anyway.

Looks like just one of those weeks you have to give to the SC Gods, take it on the chin and get up off the floor next week.

32. Ahmad rubas says:

Dusty out this week annoyed I brought him in round 10 instead of yeo

33. TOPHAWK1 says:

Dusty off to New Zealand!! WTF? Maybe he was worried about that Rocky tag. Well, at least Rocky might get some time on the ball now! Was seriously thinking of trading in either Dusty or Tom Mc Donald this week. This will make my job just that little easier.

• sc tragic says:

Evidently calf soreness is also a factor. I hope he keeps his leg up in NZ.

• Sc_Wow says:

Rocky will tag Cotchin, again he adds nothing to the team when he’s not tagging atm

34. Sam says:

This rd I've gone from having 14 premos playing to possibly only having 9 due to injuries

35. Shake_n_Bake_ says:

Dusty out aswell. Watch when the teams drop tonight there will be more!

36. SC_Sixty6 says:

All I needed was one excuse to flick Dusty and it's happened.

No contract to play for and won't be winning brownlow this year either. SC season doesn't play through the finals….the only time dusty will try because they will finish top 4 anyway.

Pod not having him. Feel so much better without him now.

• BrownlowBoy says:

I never had him. Knew he wouldn't maintain his form. Started off like a house on fire, but has dropped significantly. Doesn't look like he wants to be there.

• SC_Sixty6 says:

Agree. Apart from finals which they will obviously make. He doesn't need to set the world on fire. So I see myself as gaining 2 pods in 1 trade. ……not having him and my 1% owned pod I bring in.

Seperation from the people inside 1k

• KSinny says:

Guessing your POD is Duncan?

• SC_Sixty6 says:

Phillips? Perhaps?

I'm sure I'll change my mind but it will be below 2% pod

• JugHead says:

Funny really. The general thinking pre-season was you HAD to have Danger, Mitchell and Dusty. The one you didn't start with you had to get in as soon as possible. Seems a long time ago now.

• Jack says:

The pod had got to be Josh Kelly doesn't it? Obviously, you wait 2 weeks to get him in but it can still be done.
              Dusty out now, for Ahern or perhaps a Westhoff type.
              Kelly comes in 2 weeks, the Hoff goes forward

• BlueBaggerJosh says:

I'm jumping on Phillips stay away lol

• neil Dees 4 premiers says:

Amazing how accurate Derek's article preseason was. In part he said brownlow medalists don't perform the following year backed up by data. Maybe you can retell Derek . I took notice NDD

• Shake_n_Bake_ says:

Dane Swan avg 126.2 year after Brownlow.

• Sc_Wow says:

What a jet. Some bloke named Dangerfield also went at 136.4 the year after his

• neil Dees 4 premiers says:

Talking about the Charlie wow is maxy an outside chance giving he will have plenty of opposition within NDD

• Sc_Wow says:

Not sure they give it to ruckman. Danger is paying 21 who knows how he ends the year

• neil Dees 4 premiers says:

yeah Shake you must have read it He was one of the few who did well .Also he included Best and Fairest

• Shake_n_Bake_ says:

Swanny was probably my 2 fav pie. Remember 2012 well only missed winning the Brownlow by a vote and missed 3 or 4 games that year! You going to the game Monday Neil? Ill be there but for some reason im not confident.

• neil Dees 4 premiers says:

Yes mate It's the one game old demons want to win/. Goes way back to 1958 granny.Weideman kicked 2 amazing goals to stop us now we have his grandson. I would rather win this than any other good luck bud NDD

• Derek says:

I think that was Trev’s article.

• Derek says:

2 tackles in last 4 games…….. says it all

• prizza says:

Think tigers are planning it very well , they have so much more improvement and have another ten role players in their seconds ,agree with everything you say 66 ,also think dusty is the type that could walk away from it all at any time.

• Rabbits16 says:

i feel better without him too after flicking him this week. better than a good handy

37. HarryH76 says:

Geez it's only round 12 and we're getting this much injury carnage. What's it going to be like in a few weeks? Let's hope the byes 'freshen up' a few players! I bet if Carlton didn't have the bye, Cripps would have had the week off too

38. DavidSA says:

Hahahaha this is going to be GREAT!

39. DavidSA says:

Even with all this Carnage at worst I field 12 premo and 19 players

Laird and Cogs pending..

People who have a thin structure for the rd12 bye are in trouble

• JugHead says:

Theres always a chance that one or two guns are given a week off to add to their bye for a chance to get over injury niggles.
      Similar to Harry's comment above, wouldn't surprise me if Cripps got next week off as well as his bye this week.
      That type of thing is always a risk.
      What we DONT need tonight is for the selectors to take a similar view with rookies who are starting to feel the pinch.
      I can see the reverse trade button getting a workout.

40. BadgerHoney7 says:

dusty and fyfe out this week, fml

41. BrownlowBoy says:

What's the point in planning for byes Supercoach Gods when you stuff us around anyway with Laird, Cogs, Fyfe and Dusty all not playing or a chance of not playing.

• Defying_Madness says:

thats a donut for me and we haven't even gotten to rookies yet :/

• Valens_FC says:

In past years, I happily left myself over exposed in the last bye round, figuring you can make 3 changes and get through. This year I tried to plan for a more even spread and now regretting it. Best plan may be to have no plan!!

• The Ranger says:

I'm planning on putting my fingers in my ears, closing my eyes and rocking gently back and forth for three weeks until this bye nonsense has all gone away.

42. Moosehead says:

Some time ago SC increased the number of trades from 24 to 30. An increase to 34 should be incorporated or else many SCers will drop off SC

• BrownlowBoy says:

30 is enough if you use them wisely I think.

• Sc_Wow says:

You get 34 if you have sc gold

• Defying_Madness says:

Wasn't for me, I used 1 for a corrective on Billings and the rest on injuries and upgrades. Down to 12 and I will have to trade this week as well. Starting Ryan, Venables and Langdon doesn't help either. Got screwed around in the rucks as well (started Kreuzer went to Nic Nat, now have Grundy). Add in Kelly and Lobb and there goes most of my trades.

• Lazza says:

I agree, as strategy is part of the challenge, and as it is with the real game, the bounce of the ball can affect an outcome.
        However, there is one rule I'd bring in .. keep the # of trades to 30, but, as it is in the real game, regardless of injuries we should be able/allowed to field a full team.
        So, we should be able to bring forward trades if such a scenario arises. Its not too hard to factor such a calculation into an app,.
        Could even add another dimension to the strategy.

• theRealPod says:

Should be 2 per round and 3 for each bye round.

• Shake_n_Bake_ says:

Definitely 30 is enough.

• Ricardo says:

Nah if you want more trades play AFL fantasy. The skill of using limited trades is the beauty of SC

• Keenbutclueless says:

I am ok with 30 trades. I would prefer no limit on a weekly basis. You have 30, use as many as you like, whenever you like. When they are gone, they are gone.

43. Sc_Wow says:

Neale into Treloar for me

44. Doc_1 says:

Am considering Naitanui to Grundy.

Is Grundy a must have, or in a year when I might need my very few injury trades is it too much of a luxury and I should just roll with NicNat as a slight POD to the Gawn/Grundy double and enjoy the extra 100K of points on a different line?

• Valens_FC says:

Team must be going well Doc if you couldn't use that cash better elsewhere! Only way you could maybe justify is if Grundy was playing an extra game, but he's got his bye next week. Reckon that's the type of trade you can come back to later in the season when there's nothing else left to do with your team.

• Jack says:

I understand buy low sell low and trying to get a bargain but Gawn & Grundy are averaging 20 points more than the next best, I'd say that's gotta be must have territory, unless if you can see NcNat closing the gap….I cant

• Rick Grimes says:

At some stage they'll let him off the leash. A small increase in tog will put him on par with the others. I'd hold.

• Russty_ says:

Nic nat has been doing ok, not as good as Grundy but could do if he gets more game time, I'd do that trade later in the season maybe around finals time if you have trades and need to win that week.

45. Lazza says:

I've gone from being comfortable in R12 to not being able to field 18. And with Spargo and T Smith potential cuts this week it is looking sicker every hour.. (with Hannan a possible out due to training injury one of them may survive)
    So, I'm considering trading out Macrae for Duncan and Tom Phillips and then bringing Macrae back in via Zerret next week.
    I have 17 trades left, so could afford the buy-swap-and-sell.
    Or, given I'm well placed in my cash leagues do I just cop the loss … Thoughts?.

• Doc says:

If you're just going for leagues see who your opponents have and if they're well placed for the byes. If they're in trouble maybe don't but if they're looking solid and you think those trades will get you the win then I say go for it.

• Florence Maxwell says:

That's the kind of crazy move that can define your season. Back yourself.

• Jack says:

If it's to save a donut, it has some merit. If you can delay picking up Macrae for a few weeks you could get him 600k

46. JugHead says:

Price and bye structure aside, if you had to go early on Ahern or Brodie, which one would it be?

• seen_burns says:

Ahern, better JS then Brodie, scoring looks better and is 60k cheaper.

• Steeeve says:

Agreed. Brodie made some shocking decisions with ball in hand last week.

47. Scoops_McYoung says:

What do we think is a good score this week community? Wouldn't expect to average 100per player with the amount of premiums out…

• Sc_Wow says:

2000

• Rick Grimes says:

I like to allocate 100 to each player, double for captain. So 2300 a good score normally, 1900 during byes. Obviously, with a great captain pick pushes out, but this week looks tricky on paper.

• SC_Sixty6 says:

This week I'd imagine 1800 on par. Some rookies that are going to be fielded won't give good output I feel. Banking on premos that are in to go 120-130 to even achieve an 1800

48. Steeeve says:

Dusty out puts me back to 17 what the hell

49. Razors Edge says:

Just looking for league wins now, need help with this disaster of a team

Def: Laird, Yeo, Simpson, Lloyd, Hibberd, Sicily (Mirra, Murphy)
    Mid: Fyfe, Danger, Martin, Mitchell, Oliver, Cripps, Zerrett, Ed Phillips (Brayshaw, Spargo, Barry)
    Ruc: Gawn, Naitanui (Olango)
    Fwd: Heeney, Smith, Dahlhaus, Fritsch, Smith, Higgins (Waterman, Henry)

Got $100k and 13 trades left, do I hold or just go for broke?

50. Marcus says:

Maybe Mirra or Murphy to Austin
    Dahlhaus up to Gray or Hoff

51. Tyruddanaut says:

DUSTY to Oliver or Barry to Ahern?

The only situation that I do neither of these is if two of Coniglio, Laird and Barry play

52. r_calve says:

what about Bryce Gibbs, seems better now that crouch is feeding him with no midfield presence form Fyfe he go play like last week or even go huge, gib risk but big rewards

53. Moosehead says:

Some of us will have the problem regarding Melbourne players who are touch and go re selection on Monday. In my case with T. Smith and Spargo! I won’t know if they are selected until after say, Ahern is playing for NM on Saturday. The same problem may occur with Ridley playing Sunday with Austin playing Sunday.

54. dontblushbaby says:

Billings has been dropped for those who still have him

55. Jack says:

Is Michael Hurley going to play forward? Stewart dropped, Brown in. Brown more likely def or fwd?

• Blueth says:

Mitch Brown might be the least SC relevant player in the history of the game but watch our for Mason Redman.

• Jack says:

Yeh I know, but my point is more where will Hurley play? He is nicely priced for.my last DEF spot, but.i don't want him if he plays forward at all

56. gator59 says:

Going to be a week from SC hell this week

57. Sam_01 says:

Community it’s absolute carnage this round relying on Crowden and Howe to get up or I’ll be fielding 15 this week rank is ready to get down the toilet, being in the top 1000 was fun while it lasted

58. TOPHAWK1 says:

Praying for Howe and Crowden to make the cut. If they do, then I field 20. If not, I field 18 with 2 trades. Will be punting Mirra for Austin. Thank fark for Rocky and Holman. Rocky still has a very useful role despite his poor scoring. Dodged Cogs, Billings, and Dusty. Don't have those 3. Punted Billings 3 weeks ago. What a useless spud that twat is. Laird and Fyfe everyone has, so all in all, I count my self very fortunate this week. Touch wood.

• Russty_ says:

I've gone off Austin now, don't reckon he'll keep his job with Carlisle and Brown coming back, gonna wait to see how Mihocek goes this week and then bring him in pre-round 14 if he keeps his job with Reid coming back in.
      Joel Smith could be a good back option instead of Austin in a few weeks if he does well and keeps his spot.

• Beezneez says:

I have too a bit cos I have 7 playing in the backline including Murphy. Was going Murphy to Austin but will now look at Mihocek in round 14 as well. Thinking of going early on Ahern to replace Tim Smith.

• TOPHAWK1 says:

Hmmmm. Good point Russty. Just glad I avoided Ridley the Riddler. If I pass on Austin, Ahern or Mihocek better do the business because I still need rookies to keep generating cash. Mirra may get a game soon I suppose. Still have 16 trades. Cheers mate.

• Russty_ says:

Hey Hawk, I think Ahern's a pretty safe bet, even though he misses next week, Carlisle's back after this week and Gilbert in 3 weeks, hence I don't reckon Austin's js is that good, plus Richo bagged Austin a bit even though he scored well, someone on here said, he probably only scored well cause Jack Riewoldt and Jack Darling went down early.

• TOPHAWK1 says:

Its bloody amazing. Even if Howe and Crowden miss the cut, I would still have 17 players out there scoring points.If they do make the cut, I might just sit back and watch my 19 players run around this week and use no trades. Then going into round 13 and 14 I can start to cash out the rooks, as in all honesty the ones I have now still have low BE's. Then start trading into guys like JJK, Macrae, Dusty, Hurley etc on the premo side, and Ahern, Mihocek etc on the rookies side. I need a break because the first half of the season has been a bloody grind. 12K in the rankings. Cant remember having a ranking like that at the half way point of the season. That just has to bloody change for the better! Cheers Russty and good luck this week!

• Russty_ says:

Know how you feel mate, this game is a grind cause it goes for six damn months!…sometimes it's best to just not trade and then have those trades to use later 🙂 You'll pull it back in the second half, alot of guys give up in the second half when they realise they've gone too hard or did too many sidewaysies.

• Jack says:

Nice one Tophawk, Hinkley said some promising things about your boy Rocky: He isnt a tagger going forward, just did on the weekend cos couldn't find the ball. I took from that his role in the team is an accumulator, just had a bad one on the weekend

• Russty_ says:

Yeah Jack I saw that too, Rocky could end up ok,…and scoring very well as we all know he can, Hinkley could've just been frustrated with him and wanted to boot his ass into gear by forcing him near the ball.

• TOPHAWK1 says:

Hi Jack. That would be a nice bonus. Everyone was saying that Rocky was going to Dusty this week and then all of a sudden after he was ruled out he was going to Cotchin. Blah blah blah. Thanks for the intel mate! Hope Hinkley sticks to his word and lets Rocky run on the ball. Cheers mate.

59. r_calve says:

just gonna put it out there and say te even if Murphy plays its unlikely he will go over his breakeven
    also the dees didn't name Tim Smith, do you guys reckon he'll be back or should I trade him off already

60. r_calve says:

just realized that the 3 best ruckmen, gawn grundy and Stef Martin all have the same bye

everyone cooked there?

• Russty_ says:

I have Gawn and Grundy but it's worth it to get 120+ every week from them.

• Sam_01 says:

Have Gawn nicnat was looking to trade nicnat to Grundy after byes but might not be worth the trade with nats recent form and my lack of trades gaha

• Russty_ says:

You probs have more important issues to take care of Sam…I burned a trade on Nank to Grundy round 10 when I thought Nank would be rested but he's done ok since then and no rest, up to you but if Nicnat gets a bit more gametime, he could match Grundy's numbers soon.

• TOPHAWK1 says:

Nah. Nobody cooked. Set and forget the first 2. (3 not sure) I have Gawn and Nankervis which is a handy bye split. Nank looks like turning into a Grundy or Nic Nat in the next few weeks.

61. Yeahnahyeah says:

Bring in Webster, Luke Ryan, or Austin and bank the cash?

• dontblushbaby says:

I've gone cold on Austin with Carlisle due back ,I already have Rice too, I started with Ryan and glad I did but Webster won't be in my final team , I have Simpson,Hurn & Crisp in front of him ,

62. Rex says:

This sounds ridiculous but I might bring in Grundy if McInnerly doesn't make the cut.
    I've got Lycett @r2 with the bye, plan was to bring in Grundy after his bye, but if I'm faced with a donut I'd rather just get Grundy now, then Lycett covers him next week before being traded out.
    It would mean for 2 weeks my rucks would be Gawn, Grundy & Lycett but crazy things happen during byes

• TOPHAWK1 says:

That is potentially a smart move IF you have 15+ trades up your sleeve, $387K in your pocket, can do the straight switch, and you are really struggling to field 18 this week. (17 or less) If so, you can nail your full premo ruck combo (Gawn/Grundy) and then trade Lycett out next week for an Olango loophole type and get $300K back into the warchest. Job done. Good luck mate!

63. Sam_01 says:

Cripps cogs dusty Fyfe mitchell all out in the guts
    Laird yeo simmo out down back
    Nicnat out in the ruck
    Sicily smith and McLean put up forwards
    I’ve had to go early on Ahern to minimise the damage

• TOPHAWK1 says:

Like Russty said, I reckon Ahern is a nice option to get a warm body on the field. Cheers

64. Steeeve says:

Well guess I'm thankful for lachlan Murphy. Being named on a forward flank surely he is a safe bet to play.
    Mirra now goes out of my side instead

65. Sam_01 says:

Is coniglio to the likes of a travvy Boak an option? Bit of a wasted trade but it banks me cash and is gonna save me from 0’s this week and next as I’ll be scrambling for players all over the place
    Have 10 trades left if I fire through all my trades this round, will just get me 18 on the park, have the cash to grab hoff next week for zgl meaning I just have the one spot in the mids to upgrade so I’ll be all done with 6 to spare will have decent bench rookies for cover for the rest of the season Atleast aswell tho

66. Marty says:

Thinking of Danger into Heeney vc and c. He could tear the saints a new one. A good POD captain.

• ToughBretts says:

Not sure about Heeney's ceiling at the moment – we'd probably be stoked with a 120 which isn't enough for the C

67. Josh says:

Currently have 15 players out for the so called "easy" bye round and I'm very stuck with what trades to do
    I have 109 K in the bank
    Outs:
    Def: Laird, Yeo, Richards, Keeffe
    Mid: Fyfe, Cripps, Titch, Coniglio, Barry
    Ruck: Nic Nat, Olango
    Fwd: Sicily, McLean, Billings, T.Smith

If I want to field a full 18 I would need to trade out 3 of these players but apart from Billings I'm struggling to justify trading any of them

The rest of the team is:
    Def: Webster, Hurley, Savage, Hibberd
    Mid: Parker, Merrett, Walters, Holman, Brayshaw, Phillips
    Ruck: Gawn
    Fwd: Heeney, Higgins, Guelfi, Spargo

68. Cpt says:

It’s down to Oliver or Gawn for Cpt.

What’s your advice. Is Oliver a likely tag from a Collingwood player or ball magnet tomorrow?

Or Gawn gunna rip Grundy a new one?