CAPTAIN McCAPTAINFACE Round 9

HELLO!

In an homage to the Panic Room of yesteryear, we thought we’d give good old Captain McCaptainface another run for its money for a little while. This won’t be here forever, so enjoy it while it lasts!

Anyway no-one’s here to read me being nostalgic, we’re here for bona-fide captaincy options, so bona-fide captaincy options is what you’ll get!

This week, popular loopholes Olango (WCE – Sunday arvo) and Lynch (Collingwood – Saturday night) give us a bit of time to play around with VC options.

ADELAIDE vs WESTERN BULLDOGS

Adelaide Oval, 7.20PM

Hey so you know Jack Macrae? He’s good at football. Like, very good at football. Like, you should have started him in round one like I told you to, but only one per cent of you did. Anyway. He’s good. He’s a VC option against an undermanned Adelaide midfield which is likely to be missing a Sloane, a Crouch or two and possibly another few first-choice midfielders, but considering the Crows have 47 midfielders on their list they’ll be right.

Macrae will cop attention, just like he did in the second half last week, so I wouldn’t be expecting him to hit the heights he has over the past three rounds. If you don’t have Macrae but have The Bont, he’s worth a punt. I don’t like how much time he’s spending forward but if he picks up two or three snags, diggidy damn he could push 130+.

Also – you know that Rory Laird bloke you’ve got at D1? Yeah. He’s had four scores of 120+ this season. Against the Dogs he could be in for another night of 40 disposals, in which case he’d go big. However, his history against the Dogs is poor, averaging less than 80 against them.

NORTH MELBOURNE vs GWS

Blundstone Arena, 1.45PM

Ben Jacobs have been a strangling glove on many a player this season. Chances are, with GWS still missing superstar Josh Kelly, he’ll go to Stephen Gonigliog (the G is silent) and give him a score in the middling 70s. Granted, he’s a chance to go to Shiel or (please no please no please no) Whitfield, but in any case I’d be steering clear of any GWS players in this game.

Even Rory Lobb, who’s been in decent form, or if Shaw or Finlayson pretend to play footy again or a  forward like Cameron or Greene but, just nah. It’s the vibe. It’s Mabo. It’s just not going to end well.

As for North – have you even got a North player? I mean really? Why? Why do you have a North player? Is it Todd Goldstein? Don’t captain Todd Goldstein. Don’t captain Ben Brown. Don’t… actually maybe VC Shaun Higgins? If you’re an absolute lunatic who’s mad as a cut snake? Yeah. Maybe. No. This game is garbage from Fantasy purposes. Next.

GOLD COAST SUNS vs PORT ADELAIDE

CHINA, 1.15PM (AEST)

They’re in China. Cool. Whatever. I mean if you want to showcase the game, let’s at least pick two sides that are half a chance to not be garbage. Port are not garbage. They’re pretty good at playing entertaining football, even if the worst of their support base is literally the absolute worst. Gold Coast? Who? Ugh. Anyway, onto Supercoach.

Do not captain a Gold Coast player. Do. Not. Do. It.

Robbie Gray could kick 16. Paddy Ryder could have a lot of hitouts. The Hoff could be YUUUUUUUGE in CHYNA. Rockliff could be kickstarted into gear like a lurching old mower. Even Riley Bonner could crack the ton here. Poke a stick at the Port side and stick a VC on one of them, but Robbie Gray’s got my vote. Only scored 76 in the last two games he’s played them, but I mean come on. It’s Gold Coast.

ESSENDON vs GEELONG

MCG, 4.25PM

THE DANGER ZONE. That’s what they’ll have to rename the MCG after Saturday when Danger tears a hapless Essendon limb from limb this week. We’re awful. Don’t touch Essendon players – they’ll blanket Zach Merrett with Cam Guthrie and you don’t have any other Essendon players to consider because Hurley is missing and you’re not an idiot who picked any other premos in red and black.

As for Geelong… boy oh boy, wowee. Danger has two 130+ scores at the ‘G this season, and I reckon he could be back. Currently my captain. Joel Selwood another excellent option here – we’ll send Dylan Clarke to the bottom of the pack this week and old Jelwood will sweep him aside. Either that or draw 12 high free kicks off the inexperienced youngster. Gary Ablett. God. Could clean up, especially playing forward without Michael Hurley lining up.

Also – Tim Kelly. If you haven’t got Danger, Selwood or Gaz – is it time to consider him for the VC? Probably not, but makes you think.

SYDNEY vs FREMANTLE

SCG, 7.25PM

#FyfeIsLyfe

I want that to be all I write here, but there are actually other options I need to write about which ruins the comedic impact of narrowing this high-stakes, complex game of football down to a hashtag. Lachlan Neale. Three-round average of 130. In sensational form. The last time he played Sydney in Sydney, he scored 44. Avoid.

Josh P. Kennedy. Scored 73 last week against the Hawks. That’s not a lot. Averages 116 against Freo. Worth a VC for mine but I wouldn’t be trusting him with the orange armband.

Sandi and Sinclair will negate each other, Heeney’s been out of touch in the past three rounds and Buddy’s still not back. Mundy doesn’t have the ceiling this year.

So in lieu of that, VC Ronke. Go on, do it. I dare you, I double dog dare you.

(Seriously don’t)

ST KILDA vs COLLINGWOOD

7.25PM, Etihad Stadium

Adam Treloar is the go-to man for 12,924 of you who have him. His lowest score since round two was last week, and it was 104. Scored 150ish against the Tigers. This is the man we all wanted him to be last season. Could get off the bloody chain against the Saints. Would be captaining him if I had him.

Pendlebury should be back but I wouldn’t captain him this season, the ceiling isn’t there. Grundy, howoever, does have the ceiling. No matter who the Saints throw at him – Hickey, Longer, that American bloke, Rowan “My Boat” Marshall – Grundy will have the answers. Five-round average of 125, and has only dropped below 110 once this season. Once. Lock.

From the Saints, I’m not even going to joke about captaining Jack Billings. However, I’m just going to leave this here…

I’ll be watching this game to see if Billings can show a spark. I don’t expect him to, mind you, but I’ll be watching. No-one else of note here for mine.

CARLTON vs MELBOURNE

MCG, 1.10PM

Fresh after cleaning up the blood on the hallowed turf from Essendon’s upcoming murder, Melbourne will probably take Carlton to the cleaners this weekend just to burst the bubble from their non-existent win over Essendon that didn’t happen last weekend.

You know how Carlton let key forwards kick bags on them? You know how some people picked Jesse Hogan? If you picked Jesse Hogan, he’s a sneaky POD option this week. Only averages 60 against Carlton, but his career average isn’t great regardless.

If you’re not feeling dicey, I’d probably avoid Gawn – if anyone’s going to stop him, or at least negate the bearded bastard, it’ll be KRUUUUUEEEZZ. Only scored 76 against him last season. Similarly, KRUUUUUEEEZZ is a pass because, well, it’s Max Gawn.

The middle is where the intriguing battle will play out, with Clayton Oliver and Paddy Cripps going head to head. Curnow will likely go to Cripps should he continue to not be suspended for touching an umpire (what the actual frick is going on here?) and Vince may go to Cripps, but either way both are contesed bulls and won’t care for no tag. Oliver averages 112 against the Blues but either way they should both go big in a contested game.

BRISBANE vs HAWTHORN

The GoGabbaGabba, 3.20PM

The Tom Mitchell show is a good one. If you’ve brought him in this week, go full ham and captain him. Macrae was let loose last week, and I reckon Titch will have the same thing happen here. Sicily another option, but the ball might not get down his end.

I reckon you’d be mad to pick Zorko here.

WEST COAST EAGLES vs RICHMOND

Optus Stadium, 4.40PM

Mouthwatering, top of the table clash. Yeo is a good choice, Dusty is not.

Dustin has been down in the dumps scoring-wise for the past month and I’d steer clear until his form improves. Yeo is a decent pick, but I reckon you can do better in earlier games. If you’ve got Gaff, maybe? I mean at a stretch? Cotch a decent option, but no-one’s got him.

Dont’ @ me about Shannon Hurn.

Righteo, community – who are you going with? Who have I missed?

1. TommyC99 says:

Which trade please guys?

1. Billings – Oliver/Crouch
    2. Doedee – Simpson

2. Nathan says:

Cam Guthrie is injured and hasn’t played since round two

3. Defying_Madness says:

People were saying Danger would go huge against the saints as well. Not sure if I would be chucking the VC on him. Menegola is one to think about for VC as well.

Grundy into Titch for me

4. Redpill5 says:

Patch, as a Carlton supporter, I really hope curnow doesn’t tag cripps. The last thing the blues need is one of their own stopping our best player. Still, stranger this have happened. It might be a good strategy that will lull the dees into a false sense of security. We are willing to try anything to get a win this week against a team that had 41 scoring shots last week.

• TRIGGA_HAPPY says:

Might have to tag him from the stands

• Redpill5 says:

The blues spent $400k trying to get diesel off his 9 week ban in 97. Given the importance of the blues brothers to any chance of a win and the cost of inflation we may need to throw next years salary cap at the afl appeals mob.

5. SC_Sixty6 says:

Laurel into Yanny for me!!!!

6. Sc_Wow says:

Yanny or Laurel?

7. Redpill5 says:

*things have

8. MEK says:

DEF: Laird Hibberd Hurley Doedee Murray Naughton (Coffield Murphy)

MID: Danger Titch Fyfe J Kelly Heeney Zorko T.Kelly (Higgins Spargo Barry)

RUCK: Gawn Nicnat (Organo)

FWD: Mundy D Smith Billings Ronke Fritsch Henry (Giles Langdon, Guelfi)
    450k in Bank what should i do Naughton to who and might get doedee out as well what two defs in tho

9. dontblushbaby says:

Nank in doubt , he had a wrist injury during the last game and did well to play the game out

10. Bing bang says:

What about croucha Friday night at home?

11. hedski says:

Danger into Gawn/Titch/Billings….won't matter Danger will tear the bombers a new improved one.

• Rocksta_ says:

I agree Hedski.
      I’m going Danger into Titch for the record, but have set my ‘Captains Loophole’ Alarm firmly for 6.55pm on Saturday to remind me to activate the Loophole.
      Saturday arvo’s can get messy!

12. iLoveNMFC says:

Trade Doedee?.. Finlayson?… Doedee?… Finlayson?… Doedee?… Finlayson?… Ahhhhh…..

13. TommyC99 says:

What should we do with English? Trade him to Crossley or hold him and hope he gets a game through the byes?

• THE SALTSHAKER says:

• DavidC says:

There are too many mediocre ruck options at the Bulldogs. English was given a fair go, I don't think he'll come back in for awhile. There's Roughead and Trengove to come back in and Boyd is rucking at the moment. Schache might get a run soon as well. I traded him this week as a cash grab and will hope Cross plays during the buys … unlikely though.

14. cashcows says:

Laird, Sicily, Yeo, Hurley, Doedee, Naughton – Duman, Murphy
    Fyfe, Danger, Cripps, Mitchell, Martin, Parker, T.Kelly, J.Higgins – A.Brayshaw, Barry, Spargo
    Gawn, Martin
    Gray, Mclean, Heeney, Smith, Fritsch, Henry – ZGL, D.Fogarty
    21 trades, 44k

Bit of an issue with defence atm. Hurley and naughton out. Not enough $$ to straight upgrade.
    Looking like Naughton -> Keeffe for 1st trade but not sure what else.

Any ideas?

• Russty_ says:

Hurley out for minimum 2 weeks..could be more, Hurley to Simmo?

• Sc_Wow says:

Where did you see that Russty? I have him so trying to decide what to do.

• Russty_ says:

From this article a few days ago Wow….
          AFL 2018: Injury list, Essendon's Michael Hurley, hamstring, St Kilda's … http://www.heraldsun.com.au/…bomber…/09796f1b0f1b8bd...
          2 days ago – The Bombers confirmed the Herald Sun's report that Michael Hurley would miss at least two weeks with a hamstring strain. Hurley and injured key forward Joe Daniher are now sidelined, with fellow 2017 All Australian Zach Merrett being badly beaten by taggers. Jake Stringer, under the pump at selection …

• Beezneez says:

Should be able to go Doedee to Simpson/Webster if you want to keep Hurley. I'm considering the move but probably using Murray. Also doing the same 1st trade.

• Dean says:

If you go Naughton to Keefe that will give you $210,000 so you can then trade out Doedee which gives you $565,000 and you can bring in Simpson or any defender you wish for that matter…

15. Noah says:

Is billings to phillps and doedee to yeo a good trade? Still have finlayson and naughton on field in defence, and frustch and henry if fwd.

Any suggestions?

16. Dojo_Warrior says:

Anyone else tempted by a Nic Nat C? Has had the week off, and should be getting more minutes this week. Nank rumoured to be out injured (didn’t train today), which is sucking me in!

• DavidC says:

Soldo has been doing quite well in the magoos. He's probably a better matchup than Nank against Nic Nat, I think Nic would have jumped all over Nank.

17. Scoops_McYoung says:

Who are we thinking? Menegola, Lambert or Darling (sneaky POD)?

Already got Mclean, Walters (when he comes back), Dev Smith and Heeney. Will save last spot for RGRAY.

18. NEIL demons delight says:

Might go early on Clarke next week Beautiful long kick Pity the Saints didn't pick him then they would teach him how not to kick. Does any one know of a player today who is equally proficient on both legs I don't… GATOR and myself came up with 3 oldies BOBBY SKILTON -JIM STYNES and I think DAICOS good luck working out their preferred leg but none today —WHY? CHEERS-NDD

19. Rocksta_ says:

Shit Patch, I know Crippsy is a gun, but surely he won’t have 2 players tagging him?

20. Rivo says:

Going Danger into Gawn / Titch.

Trades?

1. Naughton & Petrappa to Yeo & Phillips; or
    2. Holman & Petrappa to McClean & Phillips?

• Rivo says:

Any thoughts folks. It’s really about punting Petracca to Yeo or McClean???

• Mick says:

Where are you weakest at the moment, def or fwd line, that should answer your questions. By season's end you'll need both Yeo and McLean.

• Rivo says:

Thanks Mick. It’s a real flip of the coin.

I have the def/fwd swing for Sicily/Keefe which really helps..

D: Laird, Sicily, Hibberd, Finlayson, Doedee, Murray (Duman, Naughton)….

F: Heeney, Lambert, Smith, Petracca, Fritsch, Higgins (Keefe, Henry)

Another option also is moving Holman & Doedee to Phillips & Yeo, keeping Petracca at F4. That keeps Naughton on the bench while waiting to see if Cumming is on the bubble.

Is this a better move?

21. What_Bear says:

Hi all,

Need some advice on my team. not sure what upgrades to do. Got $344k in the bank

Laird, Hibberd, Savage, Doedee, Finlayson, Murray (Coffield, Murphy)
    Danger, Fyfe, Martin, Mitchell, Cripps, Coniglio, Kelly, Higgins (Holman, Spargo, Barry)
    Gawn, Nankervis (olango)
    Mclean, Sicily, Heeney, Billings, Fritsch, Ronke (Henry, Guefi)

Doedee and Finlayson out

1. Yeo and Simpson in ($4k left)
    2. Yeo and Hogan in ($70k left) (sicily back)
    3. Oliver and Lloyd in ($10k left) (some real fancy DPP stuff happening)

Thanks in advance for any help

• Russty_ says:

Nank could be out so you'd be copping a donut there, maybe Nank to Grundy or Kreuzer?
      And maybe Doedee to Yeo.
      Nank to Grundy leaves you $44500 or if you go Nank to Kreuzer, leaves you $182900
      Nice work picking up Ronke before his big price rise.

• JohnDJ59 says:

Hey Russty, I'm going to have to take the donut if Nank is out, I have other issues, like Hurley, Naughton, Pendles, just to name a few.

• Russty_ says:

Hi John, you've had a shit of a year so far mate!…Pendles should be back this week, Hurley I'd trade out, minimum 2 weeks, could be more…Naughton I'd leave on the bench for later season backup or even starting.

• JohnDJ59 says:

Hi Russty, my team looked better in round one, seem to be spending most of my time just trying to fix my team up from one disaster to another, used up eight trades just on injuries (3),spud so called premos (3) and non playing rookies (2) and that's before this weekend. I can't think of one round where I did just what I wanted/planned to. I should rename my team six months in a leaky boat. You are up against me this week in Magnificent 7, the weight on my team holding all you guys up from the bottom is getting a bit much, hope to do better in the coming weeks.

• Russty_ says:

Don't worry about League ranking John…doesn't mean crap to me…just hope you can end up enjoying your season, as challenging as it has been, I've got to admit, I've been pretty lucky this year with injuries, really lucky actually, and that's quite a big part of it all..the luck thing.
              You're only 630 odd points behind me, that can be made up in 2 or 3 weeks.
              Stick fat mate….it'll get better.

• What_Bear says:

Thanks for the advice. Best part of Ronke was loopholing him onto the field :). Had enough bad luck this year, about time I had some good fortune

• JohnDJ59 says:

Hi Bear, I am keeping Doedee and Finlayson for now as I have other worries, but if that is your plan then I don't think you can go wrong with Yeo and Simpson coming in as they should both be top eight defenders.

22. John says:

Which forward is best to get this week out of Robinson, Gray, Lambert, Darling, Menegola or Mundy?

• Russty_ says:

I'd go Menegola or Darling if I was shopping for a forward this week.

• NEIL demons delight says:

GRAY or LAMBERT no contest

• THE SALTSHAKER says:

Lobb

• THE SALTSHAKER says:

Gray wait for byes will be fwd more now Rocky + SPP are back, and kicked 5 in a qtr, expect Rollercoaster. Robinson showed last week not sc relevent unless cheap, Zorko to steal some pts back here out. Menegola will lose now GAJ back, need more info before jumping on. Could still be relevent so leave till last upgrade. Lambert too inconsistent same as Menegola. Darling i dont trust. Munday looks good for 90+ started well, but rnd 14bye so get him after that. Leaving Lobb, 2 x big games to end year, first game 100+, 2nd game poor vs Grundy, then inj was 4th in hit outs to adv for week last week tapping to strong mid scored 107. Looks to be building back into it.

• Valens_FC says:

Menegola because cscott appears to have settled on GAJ as a forward. GAJ had only one CBA on the weekend. Could have been caution post injury but the team looks better balanced this way so reasons to be optimistic about Sam playing mostly midfield.

• The Ranger says:

Nobody knows John. The fwd line is hard to pick this year, as evidenced by the below answers.
      Gray prob has the ceiling but Mundy is likely to be the most consistent IMO.

23. NEIL demons delight says:

I think 2 still leaves your forward line weak as does 1 so it's 3 for me/ move HIGGINS forward later and dump Henry or goofy cheers

24. Fisherdann says:

With Hurley now injured. Was planning getting Yeo but with Simpson and Sicily also having the Rd 12 bye am I better off waiting?
    Maybe get Lloyd or Webster?
    Or will the benefit of Yeo's points outweigh any bye concerns?

• Russty_ says:

Is the round 12 bye really an issue for you?…most guys have an excess of players in that round. Round 14 is the main problem for most peeps

• Fisherdann says:

As it stands in round 12 I have 16 playing, rounds 13 and 14 I have 14.
        Fair point.

• Russty_ says:

Shit man, that's rough, you might need to trade your ass off so you don't have 3 bad bye rounds, gotta try to plan ahead for these things…I've got 22 in round 12,… 17 in round 13…. and 16 possibly 17 in round 14.

25. Daniel says:

Doedee to Keefe is locked in for me, to have a swingset with sicily, however for my other trade who should i get rid of for simpson this week out of Billings, Murray and Petracca?

• Russty_ says:

Flip a coin, Billings and Petracca both qualify for the biggest loser…maybe factor in your byes as a decision maker.

• THE SALTSHAKER says:

Okeefe wont get much chop. Billings higher ceiling potential but rnd 14bye. Petracca floating, with Viney back soon. Some midtime to Brayshaw, Hogan playing up the ground, Petracca seems to be in no mans land. Upgrade first 2. Sideways Pet to Lobb.

• THE SALTSHAKER says:

A few returning to side, Lobb last week will inc his workload. Patton, Lids, Kelly, Greene should be next 2-3 weeks. Lobb up to matchfit in that time could be out in a couple.

• Sc_Wow says:

Surely Keefe will be dropped soon

26. ronkeydonkey says:

I think Ronke is 95% certain to lay over 12 tackles this week based on natural progression, and score at least 9 goals, the smart VC for Gawn.

27. BingoBangoJingoJango says:

Finlayson and Doedee to Simpson and Webster or Lloyd and Yeo?

28. The Ranger says:

Thanks Patch.
    Macrae into Danger or Gawn for me this week.

29. Campbell says:

I need some help with my team. I have 24k in the bank and 21 trades left.
    This is my team and i have some serious problems.

Laird, Sicily, Simpson, Hibberd, Doedee, Murray – Naughton, Keefe
    Martin, Fyfe, Oliver, Cripps, Mitchell, Coniglio, T Kelly, Holman – Brayshaw, Spargo, Barry
    Gawn, Jacobs – D Cameron
    Heeney, Hogan, D Smith, Billings, Fristch, Higgins – Henry, Waterman

Was thinking about trading two out of Doedee, Murray, Billings or Holman. Also worried about the underperformance of Sam Jacobs. Who to trade and who should i get for them. I need some help!
    Thanks.

30. MEK says:

DEF: Laird Hibberd Hurley Doedee Murray Naughton (Coffield Murphy)

MID: Danger Titch Fyfe J Kelly Heeney Zorko T.Kelly (Higgins Spargo Barry)

RUCK: Gawn Nicnat (Organo)

FWD: Mundy D Smith Billings Ronke Fritsch Henry (Giles Langdon, Guelfi)

• Neil demons delight says:

You are probably in trouble this week MEK Hurley naughton out and maybe murphy a non starter Get rid of naughton to KEEFE is your best bet NDD

• seen_burns says:

If you trade naught and doe, it'll be a double upgrade. So best options would be Simpson, Yeo, and Sicily. Choose the two you prefer can't go wrong.

31. Redpill5 says:

I reckon doedee and Murray could gonok this week. Adelaide at home against the bulldogs and the pies v the saints. Billings is terrible. I’ve watched a few of his games and the saints almost avoid passing to him. He’s also hand balling a lot because he’s lost confidence in his kicking. I’d would cut your losses and downgrade him ASAP. I turfed him for spargo on the bubble, but you have limited options this week ie keefe but I don’t rate him. Holman has an ok be and the bye next week so I’d hold. ive gone early on Phillips in the mid and upgraded ‘nought’on to Webster but you could go yeo

32. BlueBaggerJosh says:

Deledio out another 1-2 weeks. Will have to field Fritsch again for the 3rd week which isnt the worst thing. Have bigger issues

• Sc_Wow says:

Lesson learnt? Don’t bring in fragile guys

• BlueBaggerJosh says:

Yep, needed to take the risk though, will probably just ride his increase to around 500-510k and bring in Gray with one trade easily. Will then have Heeney, McLean and Gray which was my main goal. Also wanted Yeo but don't think I can afford it unless I trade Hibberd, might settle for Walters via Sicily swing, 100 average without that 17.

• JohnDJ59 says:

Fritsch has been going alright for a rookie.90, 65, 98 in his last three games.

33. AB13 says:

Z.Merrett to Danger or Fyfe

I'm thinking Danger v Essendon plus it leaves me more money to go Coniglio to Fyfe next week, I'm a little hesitant to bring him in v Sydney and my mids will be done next week if I can work that. Leaving me with Macrae, Mitchell, Dusty, Oliver, Merrett – Danger, Coniglio – Fyfe, McLean and Kelly.

If that Ed Phiilips plays well this week I can swing McLean forward, Petracca to the mids and downgrade him next week whilst still getting in Fyfe and having money for defensive upgrades next week.

34. Ricardo says:

Gawn is a perma C. Can't tag a ruckman

35. Simon says:

Which trade(s)?
    1. Toby green out for Toby McLean
    2. Toby green out for hogan, banfield out for Rockliff
    3. Banfield our for Phillips(saints), doedee to darling/Robinson

36. RockJeynolds says:

A heads up for the newcomers.
    MOST of the 'experts' that post regularly in the comments of this site advised against Ronke last week and also said that Billings was the must have starting forward.
    The rookie cheat did highlight Ronke and suggest that you trade him in.

37. DavidSA says:

Think Danger is a solid VC this week Essendon look tired, Merrett is having a shocker year, Hurley out this week and they will have too many undercooked rookies on a wide oval.

38. r_calve says:

Menegola, McDonald, Webster or Mundy?

who to trade in?

39. neil Demons Delight says:

After next week I will only have FISHER and COLE left to upgrade .Fisher and Higgins will become GRAY leaving COLE and 8 dud bench players. MIRRA KEEFE BARRY CLARKE PHILLIPS CROSSLEY SPARGO AND THE HIGGINS REPLACEMENT. Therefore how do I get COLE to a simmo VERY DIFFICULT. and that's where ppl will suffer bringing in Macrae and any other 600+ prem. If I cant do it trading responsibly then how can anyone get there. They have to accept a near premium like zorko rocky or fisher. gonna be hard. My only hope is Crossley to kick ass and become OLANGO wishful thinking but better to have COLE than Menapoo or Pickett like last year CHEERS NDD

• DavidSA says:

i have 3 rooks left to go Murray, Kelly, Fritsch on field as it stands now. I would like to hold Higgins and Spargo for the swing bench cover would think 1 of the 2 will play more games. Murray and Fritsch will be my first 2 to get cut off when the time is right then will cut off Kelly before his bye, he way too valuable for round 12 and 13

• Neil demons delight says:

Fritsch is the interesting one David With his role change he has overtaken Higgins and could well be the second last culling

• Derek says:

What is your team value Neil?

• Neil demons delight says:

Anticipate around 12.5 lower than the usual 14 as at least 5 are sub 500 but must be counted as keepers even though cheap Hogan Hibberd Shaw and Walters and Kelly are all in that gray zone at the backend of their lines. I would love to have all the very top but even with these its difficult. How are you going Derek I may even stop with 2 short until a Simmo type drops to sub 500 .Franklin will drop significantly they will appear and the 14 mill mark will be unachievable your thoughts

• Derek says:

i'm really struggling to make cash this year, especially as most of my starting Mid-pricers have failed me yet again.

Lycett has been my only Mid-pricer to shine this year. I don't know why i do it.

i was going to get Simmo next upgrade. i can go this week, but i seriously am starting to count my pennies and might look at getting him after his bye now.

• TRIGGA_HAPPY says:

All different strategies mate.
      Looks like you have gone pretty hard as u have most of the new rookies so will have to wait another 5 weeks or so for the new rooks to fatten.
      I am a couple of rooks behind you as still have holman and henry but they r fat now so should be a 1 up one down next couple of weeks bringing in premos according to bye structure and/or value.
      Different strokes. Different strategy
      Gotta luv it!

• Neil demons delight says:

gone super hard mate but who knows what will happen this week and next to mess things up . I didn't want to go hard but injuries and BILLINGS forced my hand . I n the end I will once again run out of trades Last year I ran out early but had a great squad with 14 DPP's but still had Pickett and Poo onfield Like you say different strategies and I am probably wrong having fun though but geez it would be good to make the HAPPY final CHEERS Trigg NDD

40. Shake_n_Bake_ says:

M Crouch doubtful this weekend.

41. Ahmad rubas says:

Lachie murphy should surely be back next week

42. SC_Sixty6 says:

It feels so good having not started the 2 most overrated young players of the comp. Bilbo Baggins and Petracca!

• Derek says:

Who is Bilbo? Bonnar.

• BlueBoy says:

Billings

• Derek says:

Bonnar was a bit of a waste as well

• PizzaSafety says:

On what basis did you never rate Billings as a player? Last year he was 15th in the league for avg score involvements, 7th for avg goal assists and 1st of all general forwards for disposals. He is inaccurate but for the majority of last year he was incredibly damaging and the 2nd best true HFF in the league behind Toby Greene.

I understand Petracca who is a future gun but he doesn't have the tank so has basically always been a cameo player, but why Billings?

Some snippets of inconsistency waved some red flags that his floor was incredibly low but he has also shown so much potential and you surely had to rate him last year. I know he didn't have the body of work or the linear progression of a Heeney and was spoken about by some in the same category but I think it's a bit of an overstatement to say everyone overrated him. We saw potential in an empty forward line.

• Russty_ says:

I started with both!…haha straight onto the never again list now, Billings, Petracca, Bonner…all saints players.

43. Doc says:

Anyone have any news on Nank? If he's out should I cop the donut or trade Olango to Crossley? Got 19 trades and ranked 1500ish if that influences the opinions of the community. Cheers

• Redpill5 says:

I started with nank and upgraded to Grundy 3 weeks ago. Nank will not be a top 2 (or even top 5 ruckman) this year, so if your aim is to get the best you should look to upgrade. This has to be balanced against he number of trades you think you will need. An upgrade to Grundy could get 25-30 points extra a week for the rest of the season. Good work on the ranking.

• BVB21 says:

My plan was to upgrade nank to Kreuzer or Grundy after they had their byes to maximise overall score.

If he travels I will risk leaving him in to get danger otherwise will upgrade to Grundy but I don’t want to do it yet since I have Gawn. Week 13 will be a nightmare for me. Gawn, Hogan, D.Smith, Zerrett, Oliver etc

• SC_Sixty6 says:

Upgrade to a premo. Don't you want the best of the best in each line?

• Doc says:

I want to be the very best, Like no one ever was 😉

Pokemon theme song jokes aside, I started Nank because I wasn't confident with Kreuzers price, Jacobs I just wasn't a fan of and Grundy was a bit unproven. I'd always planned to upgrade Nank to Ryder after Ryder's bye but I'd assumed he would play every game up until Ryder's bye. As I'm typing this I've realised Grundy suits my bye structure rather well (if you ignore he shares it with Gawn) so I might go to him. Cheers for getting me thinking mate

• theRealPod says:

There was doubt on him last week but ended up playing, wait and see. They might be managing his niggles which isn't uncommon.

• Sc_Wow says:

He trained last week, not this week though

• JugHead says:

I thought about the same trade briefly. But Crossley has his bye after this week and is no guarantee to hold his spot after that. And Nank is no guarantee to come back next week. This is a trade that could easily blow up in your face next week.

44. Simon says:

Does it matter if I have banfield depreciating cash this week? If so I will trade him to either Rockliff or Phillips(even though it’s a week early for both)

• SamuraiPizzaCat says:

Banfield is projected to lose 2.9k if he scores 57 which is about his average, so not a big deal if you hold him a week.

45. Laird Lad Donuts says:

Weird thing happened last night, I put my captain as the Hoff for this weekend, since I saw port was lining up against gold coast i just had this feeling he would go huge, I went to bed last was dreaming about random stuff, but i had a dream Westhoff pumped out a 168, Feeling like it's a sign, if he goes and scores a 90 I was manipulated by my own subconcious…

46. Da_Boysh says:

Interesting (potentially devastating) play here

Nank – hold, trade my R3 (Lavender) to Crossley. Gives me good bye cover if he plays and ruck cover for any future problems. The risk of going Nank to Grundy is that when Grundy gets injured I am stuck again with a 0…

AND

Naughton to Phillips with DPP…

Is this terrible… or potentially an ok move

47. Guest says:

Gonigliog with the silent G. You are a funny man Patch

48. damage says:

hey lads, whats your team value, trades and bank looking like?

49. Laird Lad Donuts says:

Still stuck on Webster VS Simmo and now Ryan is looking a really nice prospect aswell! at the same time i'll be also pocketing an extra 80 odd k.
    What do the community think, Webster v Simmo v Ryan?
    Cheers guys

• JohnDJ59 says:

Both Simmo and Ryan are on my watchlist, hadn't thought about Webster.

• Beezneez says:

Had the same dilemma all week. Initially thought Webster but popular opinion seems to think Simmo as a safer bet. Might go Simmo and pick up Webster later if his scoring consistency continues. Personally prefer those two rather than Ryan. It's a toss of the coin job but don't think you could go wrong with Simmo especially seeing Docherty is out.

50. anthdepa says:

DEF (Laird, Savage, Hurn, Sciliy, Doedee, Naughton) – Coffield, Mirra

MID ( Mitchell, Martin, Fyfe, Macrae, Parker, Coniglio, J.Kelly, T.Kelly ) – Spargo, Barry, Brayshaw

RUCK (Gawn, Nank) – Cameron

FWD (Heeney, McLean, D.Smith, , Fritsch, Henry, Giles-Langdon) – Guelfi, Franklin

$38,100 in the bank.

Is it stupid that I’m considering double downgrading Kelly and Franklin when theres no rookies on the bubble? Getting sick of these two.

51. Mystic_Mac says:

Fyfe struggling with knee soreness.. Didn't train with the main group today. Pray

52. SC_Sixty6 says:

Whisper is louder…..NANK OUT! Teams not far away.

53. BadgerHoney7 says:

Rice to make debut – another def rookie.

54. Jack says:

If Fyfe doesn't get up this week it will be Wows first injury for 2018. I've been following his team closely all year hoping he keeps it up. Hopefully he doesn't fall many places if he misses.

55. Derek says:

big chance that Mirra will get a game this week. Poopy back as well.

56. DavidC says:

Ed Curnow suspended, Charlie gets off.

• Neil demons delight says:

Why one and not the other.Both seemed trivial luckily both not sc relevant.but good for the DEES

• Holty01 says:

Even as a Carlton supporter i was shocked Ed got off. Got his 1 week and fair enough with Hawkins suspension. Charlie seemed more trying to protect the umpires wellbeing by not allowing him too close to the push and shove.

57. BadgerHoney7 says:

another debutant, mitch lewis, hawks, forward.

58. Blaknight says:

Great post as always Patch.

I'll be going Danger into Mitchell this week.

I need some help advise with my team.

I've currently got Deledio ad Walters in my FWD. Im hoping at least one gets up this week which I think Walters will. Question is do I hold Deledio until he is fit or do i get rid of him? Here is my current set up.

DEF: Laird, Sicily, Yeo, McGovern, Dodee, Cole (Naughton, Keeffe)
    MID: Fyfe, Danger, Mitchell, Selwood, Martin, Zorko, Kelly, Holman (Brayshaw, Fogarty, Barry)
    RUCK: Gawn, Martin (Olango)
    FWD: McLean, Darling, Deledio, Walters, Fritsch, Henry (Garlett, Spargo)

22 Trades – $163,00

Trades I am considering.

1. Holman > Oliver — Doodee > Cumming/Eagles
    2. Holman > Oliver — Deledio > Prem FWD (Im bringing in Gray after his bye)

Thoughts?

Thanks.

59. Mike says:

How many trades has everyone got

60. RockJeynolds says:

Reverse your Buddy trades!

61. Shake_n_Bake_ says:

Murphy gets a gig.

62. Shake_n_Bake_ says:

Guelfi gets a gig.

63. John says:

Yeo or Simpson in this week?

64. Steve says:

Hey community,

Which rookies have the best job security?

Can get a defender or mid

65. DavidC says:

Crouch out.

66. Defying_Madness says:

Omeara injured….
    Mirra on the extended bench and Guelfi and Murphy back in.
    Fritsch and Spargo on the extended bench which is bad.
    Franklin and Walters back in and will be cheap soon
    Crouch injured and Duman omitted for anyone who has him

67. Blueth says:

Just like to apologise and give a little ball tickle to the person i mildly insulted for saying that Buddy will play this week.
    I love you. So much.

68. hedski says:

Yes! – cash gen is back – Murphy, D.Fog, Guelfi and Mirra back.
    No! – Mirra was gonna be my vc loop.

69. Phil says:

Very smart drafting by Hawthorn. After they lost Sam Mitchell & Jordan Lewis they went out and drafted Mitchell Lewis to keep the supporters happy!
    That's up there with Brisbane drafting Daniel McStay after 5 players left at the same time!

70. Keenbutclueless says:

I brought both Couch and Mutch in last week. So not only did I not get Ronke, I got a meh score from Crouch, nothing from Mutch and two non-starters this week. I may have made worse trades, but gee, this is right up there

71. BVB21 says:

Robbie gray could be a good captains choice this week

72. Connor says:

So the Crouch over Macrae trade last week really hurts now

73. RockJeynolds says:

OH Yeah! Gotta love the teams as they stand, some big ranking moves coming this weekend

74. Crowboy94 says:

Geez what is with AFL players now.. all gone soft!

75. Marcus says:

Is there anyway of knowing if Nank will actually play or not before tomorrow night?

76. Shake_n_Bake_ says:

I think Spargo might not play now Viney was named.

77. Phil says:

Nice to see there's finally some defensive rookies getting games, it was going cold there for a while.
    Between Heron, Ridley & Rice (along with Cummings) I think we should get 1 decent cow

78. Dean says:

Trade out Doedee or Murray?

79. Blueth says:

Are we counting Tim Kelly in full premo calculations?

80. Pauly says:

So im trading jom and doedee this week will have 870 to work with do i go:
    1:silicly to backline via dpp and bring in a darling or mclean and not sure who would be a good mid
    2: bring in oliver for jom and keefe or cumming for doedee
    3:trade doedee and naughton to a yeo simpson or webster and a cumming on the bench

81. Jacob says:

Need to field 2 out of ronke, guelfi, henry, holman, brayshaw and spargo (1 mid and 1 forward) any advice on who i should gamble on??? Wont be able to loop this week…
    thanks

82. TheGreatBozza says:

I’ve been offline all week, hard to catch up! I’m bringing in Danger for either Finlayson or Naughton via DPPs. Who’s more pressing to trade? Naughton a donut vs Finlayson losing cash

• JohnDJ59 says:

Naughton

• Dave says:

Disagree. As long as you aren't copping a zero with naughton not playing he isnt losing you any money. Go the more pressing issues.

• JohnDJ59 says:

Finlayson will only lose 5k or so, at least he is playing and not injured, Naughton will have to go anyway due to his BE. Sometimes having good players on the bench that can cover injures is more important than a few dollars more.

• Hayden says:

I've upgraded Finlayson and Doedee this week and keeping Naughton on the bench for a week or two until a downgrade appears. No rush for this week as his price will stay the same, but will need to go at some stage

• JEL says:

If you can field someone instead of Naughton, then it's better to chop Fin as he is losing money.
      Naughton's price wont change while he is off injured, so he can wait.

If keeping Naughton means you have to field him, then yes, he has to go.

83. Steeeve says:

Extra glad I traded up to Matt Crouch instead of down to Ronke now.

84. Jacob says:

Danger –> titch seems like the smartest vc/c to me!
    Whats everyone else doing?

85. JohnDJ59 says:

I feel better now, just traded Naughton to Danger.

• TOPHAWK1 says:

Aint it good! I can punt Naughton for the Yeowie man (Yeo) but I have Nankervis…….Went Henry to Keeffe. Kept Billings. But my second trade is on hold because of the Nankervis late out risk!!

• Sandyf62 says:

I went Naughton > Yeo to cover the loss of Hurley, no choice really since I only had Laird and Hurley as my premos in defence.

• JohnDJ59 says:

Nank has really stuffed up my plans for this weeks trades, was going to go Naughton > Yeo and Banfield > Danger, but now I need one trade spare in case I decide to trade Nank out, still not sure if I will though, even if he misses, it's only one week and I am low on trades, might take the donut since my team isn't setting the world on fire anyway.

• INPieman says:

I'm sure you'll be sporting a sizeable tent in your trousers over the weekend

86. dontblushbaby says:

Does anyone think that Rocky can get anywhere near where used to going forward ?

87. Krups says:

Thought Buddy was ruled out? Horse playing games by naming him?

88. LUKE says:

Should I bring in Laird + Simpson or Yeo + Sicily? Considering that I traded out Sicily round 2 at 411k

89. TOPHAWK1 says:

Murphy, Guelfi, Ronke, ZGL, Crowden, Holman all playing with Mirra and Spargo on the extended benches. Gotta be happy with that. The cash generation kicks back into full gear this week. (Olango the loophole slave)
    So I have Naughton, Billings, and Henry who's heads are on the chopping block this week. I have Nankervis…………………..The first trade is easy. I need Keeffe up forward to raise even more cash and become the Sicily swing. Who to punt….Billings or Henry?
    Drum rolls please……. Billings stays and Henry goes!!! Henry at $278 K is ripe for the culling despite his BE still lowish. Billings might as well stick around as he keeps getting picked and will eventually get his sh-it together. (Not locking in a $150K loss)

The second trade would have been Naughton to Yeowie man. (Yeo) But because of all this Nankervis "late out" speculation, that trade right now is hijacked. I have to keep that trade up my sleeve just in case he is in fact a late withdrawal. If that happens, I will probably take a punt and trade the Nank out for Nic Nat. (Bye friendly too) That trade still makes $15K in cash and then $425K in the sky rocket for a double upgrade next week. If the Nank plays, then I save a trade this week and can still go the BANG BANG double upgrade next week. Gonna be another interesting round! Good luck all.

• Russty_ says:

Hi Hawk, I'm a bit dilemma-rized this week too, was gonna go Doedee and Finlayson to Simmo and Yeo but Nank possibly not playing has me concerned.
      I reckon if he flies to Perth, he's playing, otherwise why would they waste an airfare?
      If he doesn't fly…I'll probably go Nank to Grundy and Doedee to Yeo, and hang onto Finlayson a bit longer.

Can you afford to go Nank to Grundy if Nank isn't playing?…not sure about Nicnat, might not end up being a top 2 ruckman.

• gator59 says:

Gawn and Grundy have the same bye round Russty

• TOPHAWK1 says:

I can Russty! If he does not fly, then he wont make it in time driving, on the train, or walking. LOL If he misses the flight, the Nank is gone. Then Nic Nat, immediately falls out of calculations. Then it is a choice between 3 rucks for R2. Grundy, Kruezer, and S Martin. Apparently Grundy is playing with sore shins and Kruezer is always a lottery. Stefan Martin has always been good to me, but now he could have Mc Inerney for company. (Extended bench though) Gonna sleep on it tonight mate! And see whether the Nank gets on that flight to my home town called Perth. Cheers mate!

• dontblushbaby says:

Love your passion TOPHAWK, I went Nank for Grundy last week, dunno about Keefe ,i know the swing helps but I can see him gone when the Giants get some players back, good luck mate , really like your posts, cheers

• TOPHAWK1 says:

Thanks Blush. I just love that Keeffe swing with Sicily. Gotta have it. Even if Keeffe gets dumped, I have enough other rookies getting game time and making cash. Keeffe is taking on some ruck duties as well, which will hopefully help his JS. Cheers mate.

90. whatwhatwhat says:

How will Kreuz negate Gawn? Gawn was just unfit last year and Kreuzer isn't a dominant tap ruckman he's dominant around the ground?

91. PizzaSafety says:

Haven't captained Macrae since owning him. The first time because I thought Titch would outscore him and last week because I thought he'd get tagged by Robertson. I was definitely planning on Vcing him this week but with Gibson in is it a waste of time? It seems logical not to VC him but I feel like I'm wasting him as a scorer for the 3rd week running.

• PizzaSafety says:

Wait no Gibson's tagging victims according to fanfooty are Lewis Jetta, Gaff, Brandon Ellis, Sloane and Hunter. Sort of tagged Hill properly twice and didn't successfully stop Dangerfield (for a quarter and a half), Hannebery or Sidebottom. So he's basically only been able to stop uncontested wingers and Sloane and hasn't stopped a gun all round midfielder and ball magnet like Macrae, although his tagging does seem to usually be effective. He doesn't even tag that often so Macrae it is.

92. Steve says:

Hey community,

Would you rather trade Naughton to Keefe ( and play keefe on the field)

or

Trade Naughton to Ballard via dpp ( and play guelfi on the field)

Cheers!

93. Bazza says:

Thoughts on bringing in Macrae vs Oliver?
    Oliver is 100K cheaper so is better value… am I points chasing with Macrae?

• INPieman says:

Almost 700k is a price tag reserved for the all time greats. Macrae has been amazing but he does not yet fall into that category

94. simon says:

wanted to keep Petracca but just can't see him scoring in the vicinity of a top 15 forward so he's gotta go before he bleeds more. my defence which looked pretty solid for a while has taken a hit with Hurley out. so am now fielding Keefe and Richards on the field this week (RIP)

trades:
    OUT: doedee and petracca
    IN: Dangerfield and Keefe

95. Nice and very interesting post

96. Goose says:

Does Viney returning have a negative impact on Olivers scoring for rest of year? Also who would you pick between Oliver and Bont?

97. Andy says:

I have 385k in the bank but have Stringer, naughton, finlay, doedee and murray. What to do?

98. k2v says:

thoughts on trading in de goey this week. i want a pod in the fwd line and leaves me with 200k in the bank.

• simon says:

I personally don't have the testicular fortitude to do this having had curnow and Petracca in my forward line since the start.. could be a good move that could pay off though!

• Lazza says:

Negative.

De Goey is ~$419k, so basically with $200k left that means you can afford any player who is a FWD. Why take a player is no where near top 10… wasted opportunity.

• Russty_ says:

If you want a POD who is scoring great this year, Darling could be your man, owned by 3% of Coaches and averaging 102.8.
      500 grand.

99. allen says:

when will Sunday game emergencies be announced into 4 interchange and 4 emergency?

100. ROB14 says:

Is the Nank gonna play?

• Russty_ says:

Still no certainty there yet ROB, they're both flying over, Nank and Soldo in case Nank doesn't get up.
      Options are trade him now but then you can't reverse once the round starts, or wait and see if there's any forthcoming news……….
      Good news is you have until 5.25 on Sat, 11.10 Sun, and the last minute to decide whether you wanna bring in Grundy, Kreuzer or Nicnat.

101. John says: