DAVID MUNDY: Supercoach Spotlight 2018

Filed in Forwards, Fremantle 2018, Premiums, Supercoach 2018 by on 14/03/2018 • views: 4721

By Post MaSloane

The scene is set. The final siren has gone. 31,200 fans hold their breath at the ‘G as David Mundy lines up to take the game deciding kick against the tigers. He knows this situation. He’s been in it before.

The nation watches on as the weather-hardened veteran takes the all important kick to stop the tiger train in its tracks. Purple haze billows from every chimney in Fremantle as the locals realise the gravity of what has happened. He’s kicked it. David Mundy has won the game for his team.

It’s every young boy or girl’s dream.

Except there’s one glaringly obvious problem. David Mundy is not a young boy. Or indeed a young girl, for that matter.

He’s far from young. Pensioner might be a more accurate description, as Mundy’s childhood was probably filled with The Rolling Stones and black and white TV. But can old man Mundy deliver us one more fantasy relevant year, or will he fall another victim to the Mundy morning blues?

2018 Price – $491,700

2017 Average – 89.4

2017 Games – 21

2017 100+ Scores – 7

2017 Sub-80 Scores – 6

2017 Highs and Lows – High of 143, Low of 38

The Good

Mundy will go into 2018 as one of the more experienced heads in the Fremantle uniform, as someone who can more than hold his own amongst a very capable midfield, as well as being a leading option in an otherwise fairly dilapidated forward line.

He can play almost anywhere on the ground and still score Supercoach points, meaning it is less likely that Ross Lyon can do anything to completely ruin his output (touch wood). His ceiling is high, as he showed with a 143 point outing against the bulldogs in round 3, and the Dockers should be expecting a fairly successful 2018, which should raise his floor and smooth out the roughies.

And, in a year when stocks of serviceable forward line options are thinner than Mundy’s receding hairline, his new DPP eligibility may just be the precious gift that the Supercoach gods have delivered us.

The Bad

Let’s be honest though, Mundy is no spring chicken. Just have a look at Heath Shaw’s 2017 stats to see that as the tooth gets longer, the less relevant they become to Supercoach. And Mundy’s teeth are beginning to somewhat resemble a warthog.

His average dropped from 113.5 in 2015, to 93.2 in 2016, and to 89.4 in 2017. Not a great trajectory, and it could be said that the game is sadly going past him. But being a midfield premo and a forward premo are two very different things, and if he can hold around the 90-95 average for 2018, I believe he will end the year in the top 8-10 forwards.

The Verdict

I like him. There are not many forward line options that are really worth considering for mine, but David Mundy is. Is he a risk? Yes. Do we have to rely on his body withstanding the rigours of a young mans sport? Yes.

But Mundy has had an excellent record with injuries since he first stepped on to the scene in 2005, and I’m excited to report he is currently my F2. Whether or not he stays there will mostly depend on whether I get sucked into any of the 85 ‘breakout’ players who are guaranteed ‘more midfield minutes’. But until then, lock it in, Eddie.

What do you think, community? Would love to hear your thoughts.

1. Russty_ says:

Could do worse Post…he's a guaranteed 80 – 90+ every week because of his experience, a lot of these guys we're all gambling on, Petracca, Sicily, McLean, Smith, Hogan etc could all end up averaging in the 70's, no one knows yet.

2. Danielson says:

Parish is being slept on by the community.Top 5 pick whose a breakout canditate and is more of a question of when then if. He is going to breakout, but will you have him when he does?

• Russty_ says:

I'd be a bit keener on him if he hadn't only averaged 72 and 76 in his first 2 years, would've hoped he'd have averaged 80 – 85 last year.

• The Ranger says:

There's always plenty of players in that price bracket that have the potential Danielson.
      Picking them is bloody hard…I prefer DeGoey, Petracca or Smith for a similar price.

• ZerrettForPM says:

Last year we had Oliver and Kelly go uber premo. This year it'll be Whitfield and Touk Miller. Calling it now.

• Captain Risky says:

I've got Whitfield and think he's a good thing. Reckon Miller is a long shot – he has the capability, just lacks the consistency.

3. The Coach says:

I've got him at F2, had him for a while. Would like him, Fyfe, Neale, Walters, and the rookies, but too many Freo players is worrying…team balance will be the only reason I don't pick him

• NovemberFoxtrotIndia says:

I currently have –
      Fyfe…no brainer
      Banfield. …cash cow
      Brayshaw …fingers crossed.
      3 Freo's is pushing my limit with Rosco..
      Mundy….nowhere near my radar but thanks for making me consider the pros and cons.

• Marty says:

Very easy to have plenty of Freo players this year. Not sure about Banfield and how many games will he play with both Hill boys coming back?

4. The Ranger says:

I thought his SC relevant years were gone Post but with the lack of rookies up front meaning we're all looking at a mid priced mayhem of a fwd line he has to be taken into consideration again.
    I have too many Rd14 players already so I'll pass.

5. TOPHAWK1 says:

Thanks Masloane on the Mundy write up.

If you want my honest opinion, David Mundy is Supercoach gonski. He is simply no longer SC relevant. Period.

The bloke is 32 going on 33, then you have Neale, Fyfe, Blakely, Walters, Brayshaw, etc running around fighting over SC points, and after all that, you need to spend $491K to secure his services?

No way Jose!!…

There is not a "snowflakes chance in hell" I am going down that path. Just my take mate.

P.S Do something with your avatar mate! That nose looks like a carrot…..No offense meant. Hehehe (Laughing)

• Russty_ says:

Yeah Hawk..I said something about the Avatars the other day and I got crucified for it…lol. Groucho Marx nose and apparently it cost money!

• TOPHAWK1 says:

A Groucho Marx nose! hahahaha! That's gold! Love it.

The boys probably just want to remain a bit private, which is fine. BUT, I call on the great Jock Reynolds to do something and LIFT the avatar standards! It's his website and he must DO!

The podcasts are a topic for another day…..

• SuperSlueth says:

Avatars cost money? Who said that SloMo the Federal Treasurer? Anybody with an avatar knows that if you create a gravatar or wordpress account you create your own web-wide avatar for free. all you need is an email address. but why would they lie?

6. BadgerHoney7 says:

Money in bank: $153,100

DEF: Laird, Hibberd, Sicily, Coffield, Doedee, Murray – Finlayson, Mihocek

Questioning – Coffield at the moment, waying up between him and Naughton, feeling if I go with Coffield it would be a slight POD seeming that everyone is going with Naughton. I can fit in Naughton with money in bank but I'll just wait and see.

MID: Martin, Mitchell, Fyfe, Bont, Cripps, Coniglio, JOM, Brayshaw – Banfield, T.Kelly, Holman

Questioning: Obviously got no Danger at the moment and can easily bring him in for Bont but I feel if I wait until he goes down in price it will be worth the wait – plus I believe Bont will be scoring respectable scores so he can be a place holder. Will Brodie is questionable to be put in team as I think he'll get big minutes in the midfield and could score big scores. JOM is my biggest risk and I'm not getting rid of him really trust him to go well this year and first quarter against Carlton shows his potentional and for someone at his price, you take a ave. 90-95 but I will be wanting more.

RUCK: Gawn, Nic Nat – Cameron

Questioning: Nic Nat, if hes named Round 1 I'll go with him, if not, he'll be gone, Lycett is a liability and only scored 50 odd and got pounded by Sandy on the weekend so hes not the one in my opinion. Gawn lock obviously.

FWD: Heeney, Billings, Smith, T.Bell, Fogarty, Keefe – Fritsch, Ryan

Questioning: Heeney probably at the moment is my biggest worry, just need him to generate scores and will be in an out a lot of times in these next 9 days before Round 1, if the Fog plays Round 1, I'll probably go with but can easily swap him for a FWD rookies, don't really know if I want to start Ryan at the moment, just feel like he can dodgy with the 30s-40s regularly, just need more trustworthy FWD rookies.

Feedback greatly appreciated.

• Sloane_ma_post says:

How long are you going to be happy getting 90-95 avg from an M7. JOM won’t make you much cash and limits your team in the fwd and def line imo.
      I’d only be running 2 rookies max in the fwd line (bell included).
      Maybe way up bringing another rookie into your midfield, if you feel like Brodie can score well why not get him in and save some cash.
      Heeney will be top 6 fwd

• paul says:

Something to think about Mitch Duncan averaged 122 in his last 10 games last year with Danger in the side.He has had a very good pre season too.

• Marty says:

Heeney will come good when the real stuff begins

7. Dylan says:

DEF: Laird, Hibberd, Lloyd, Naughton, Doedee, Finlayson (Murray, Murphy)
    MID: Danger, Mitchell, Kelly, Fyfe, JPK, Brayshaw, Brodie, Barry (Banfield, Kelly, Holman)
    RUC: Gawn, Nankervis (Cameron)
    FWD: Buddy, Dahlhaus, Barlow, Sicily, Christensen, Fogarty (Fritsch, Ryan)

$44,700 in the bank, keeping Danger for now but need advice on what I could do with a bit more cash if I'm forced to trade him out

• gator59 says:

If Danger don't play round 1 plonk him on the bench and play on field rookie .. Simples

• Derek says:

keep the cash so you can trade him back asap. will only then cost you one trade

8. gator59 says:

Thoughts please
    Zerret and Cogs
    or
    Parker and Cripps

Thinking 2 at this stage

• DacZawson says:

Given Parker and Cripps are keepers if you are selecting them and Cogs is not, I’d go the second option.

• gator59 says:

That's what I was thinking Dac …. Keepers

• Steeeve says:

Except last year Parker averaged 99.3 (including only one ton in the first seven rounds — price drop alert). And Parker has only averaged 110 once in his whole career. I'd imagine you want around the 110 mark for true premo keeper mids.
          Coniglio's last season fully fit he averaged 105. Parker has only exceeded that twice in his career (108 in 2014 and 112 in 2016). Every other year, including years Parker was in his prime, he has averaged UNDER 100.

• Steeeve says:

Which is to say I'll be going with Cripps and Coniglio — save yourself a lot of money for potentially the same points or more.

I'm a believer in Cogs. Wasn't fully fit last year and posted two tons from his first three games (took Parker 8 games to post 2 tons — bleeding cash). Then Cogs built and showed what he could do in the finals. Even when he wasn't fully fit he never dropped below 80.

9. ado says:

Thoughts on my current side?
    $323,800 in the bank

Laird, Hibberd, Ryan, Naughton, O'Shea, Murray (Doedee & Finlayson)
    Titchell, Zerret,Fyfe, Bont, Coniglio, Libba, Brayshaw, kelly (Banfield, Barry & Holman)
    Goldstein, Gawn (Cameron)
    Heeney, McLean, Petracca, Bell, Daniel Lloyd, Fogarty (Fritsch & Ryan)

• Finnius says:

With all that cash in the bank, I would be turning Libba into Cripps and Bell into Sicily/Devon Smith

• Blueth says:

Love the Luke Ryan and Libba picks.
      You're a deadset madman picking Goldy with north's attitude to talls but he did look very good in the JLT.
      Heeney has a degenerative knee problem and i'd only book him in for 16-18 games.
      Do you know something about Daniel Lloyd that i don't?

10. Dave says:

Billings or Devon Smith

11. Willymack1234 says:

Tossing up weather go pick Armo at m6 or save some cash and pick Brodie instead. What do yous recon?

12. Carleton says:

"or a young girl's dream"??? What a loser!

13. Whitey says:

Off topic, but does anyone know who has the most Sunday games this year?

14. NEIL Demons Delight says:

mundy just too old I him early had but jumped on Melksham Much cheaper and his new role forward makes him a solid pick

15. INPieman says:

In 1979 a young lady opened fire at a US university killing 2 people & seriously injuring 9. Her excuse: "I just don't like Mundy's". Bob Geldof even wrote a song about it. She was a true visionary. And I share her sentiments. I hope she gets released & shoots Ross. I'll write a song about that

16. Mike says:

Umm Mundy seriously . Come on guys please

• Clueless says:

What’s everyone’s thoughts on running 4 on-field rookie mids? Would allow for greater cash gen and depending on the M8 (Holman, Kelly, Barry, Banfield) would only be losing 30-40 points (assuming they score 60-70 and a premo is scoring 90-110). It would also allow people to have greater depth up forward which seems to be the line giving everyone trouble. Would potentially mean you would still have 6-8 on-field rookies depending on your structure. I’d really welcome some thoughts/opinions/feedback on this idea, cheers.

• Blueth says:

I dont see the mid rooks as strong enough this year for that sort of behaviour

• INPieman says:

Wouldn't that be fun at selections… Banfield (Dropped) Brayshaw (Managed) Kelly (Hamstring) Holman (Dropped) Barry (Dropped) Brodie (Managed) Ryan Griffen (F*?king Useless)

• Mike says:

Im starting with 3 rooks in the mid this year . Im in the opposite opinion. I feel that there is limited cash generation in the forwards and backs

• Russty_ says:

Pretty risky business Clueless I think, a lot could go wrong, I'm going with 2 and 1 of those is Andrew Brayshaw, he'll be worth the extra money I reckon.

• Russty_ says:

He averaged over 100 for the first 9 rounds of last season, not bad for an old bugger, he had plenty of good scores but also a few stinkers, ended up on 89.
      He'll probably do better than half the guys we're all starting in our fwd lines this year, that being said, I'm not picking him lol

17. Jordan says:

Dalhause and beams
    or
    Shaw and zorko?

18. ILove PatrickCripps says:

Should I go with Jaegar and Goldstein, or Coniglio and Lycett????

19. Rick Grimes says:

Hanley potentially out 4-6 weeks. Who does that benefit? KK? If he could get back to his role of a couple years back he'd be great value.

• dontblushbaby says:

He was set for more Mid time, I really like A.Hall as I believe he could add 100k but I just don’t have the kahunas to put him in as I would have to rearrange my Mid structure, dunno still might

20. Tubbage says:

thoughts community?

Cripps/Parker/D Smith or ZMerrett/Coniglio/McLean?

Also… stand alone… Smith v Mclean

21. FiL says:

Thoughts on my midprice madness team? Went this route last year and won several grand finals. Final rank was about 5000. Philosophy is simple — only select players I believe are underpriced…

Backs: Laird, Shaw, Brayshaw, Bonner, Naughton, Doedee (Finlayson, Murray)

Mids: Fyfe, Pendles, Parker, Cripps, Jack Steven, Coniglio, Jaeger, Armitage (Brodie, Barry, Holman)

Rucks: Goldstein, Gawn (Cameron)

Forwards: Petracca, C Curnow, Sicily, D Smith, Christenson, Fogarty (Garlett, Ryan)

Okay so hear me out:
    . I have $139,000 in the bank.
    . I will use the first few rounds for correctives — anyone underperforming can go, and be replaced by a rookie I've missed. This will leave me with the cheapies who ARE performing, the must-have rookies, and a huge warchest.
    . That warchest will allow me to pick off fallen premos when the time is right.
    . Hopefully I'll put up competitive scores along the way, until I end up full premo.
    . Running out of trades? Didn't last year. Only need a handful of these boys to be keepers — last year it was Crouch, Oliver, Marc Murphy and others. Then it's not much different to a guns and rookies year, when you still have to swap rookies out to get the best ones.
    . I might only have a few keepers but at worst I'll have 6 or 7. As someone (Derek maybe?) pointed out, he had to swap out so many of his starting 'keepers' last year that 6 or 7 should be around the mark anyway.

• Derek says:

I like the strategy, i don't might a good "fallen premium" either.

last year i just couldn't hold onto my keepers. i started with 14 and had 7 of them left at the end of the year (selwood, fyfe and pendles were traded out fairly late). the years where i've finished in the top 100 have been because i've avoided the injuries and held onto my starting premiums, even if they were Cotchin, JPK types. As Higgo says, you put that down to great selections, but it really is just pure luck.

i have prefered "fallen premiums' in the past to pick them up cheap. last year that strategy didn't work, especially in the defense, ie Shaw, Lloyd's. but i still think it is the best strategy, a fallen premium is more likely to bounce back than trying to pick the next yound gun.

I would consider Rockliff, Mills, Libba, Jack, Robinson, SPS, Seedsman, Cyril, Alex Pearce, Hogan, Breust, McCratin as all underpriced as well, may want to consider

22. Chris_Judd says:

DEF: Hurley, Laird, Lloyd (Doedee)
    Naughton, Murray, Findlayson (Murphy)
    MID: Dangerfield, Mitchell (Banfield)
    J. Kelly, Zorko, Fyfe (T. Kelly)
    Cripps, A. Brayshaw, Barry (Holman)
    RUC: Kreuzer, Gawn (Cameron)
    FWD: Heeney, Billings, Petracca (Keeffe)
    Garlett, Fritsch, Ryan (Ahern)

20K left. Thoughts?

23. Murray says:

Have a conundrum?
    Mundy and Goldstein
    Or
    McLean and stef Martin?
    Which is the better combo and why