RORY SLOANE – 2018 Supercoach Spotlight

Filed in Adelaide, Adelaide 2018, Midfielders, Premiums by on 05/03/2018 • views: 6693

Everyone loves an underdog. Rising from the slums of Melbourne, Sloanedog Millionaire was taken at pick 44 in his second draft, in 2008. Hardly promising prospects for an aspiring midfielder. However, the crow with the lion heart quickly developed a cult following in the south, and it’s easy to see why. He’s got the lustrous locks. He’s got a trouser-stimulating type of gameplay. And to satisfy Lek’s requirements – he’s quite good at football.

So why is the Sloanedog Millionaire being shown no love this year?

RORY SLOANE: THE FACTS

2018 Facts $605,800
2017 Games 22 (24 including finals)
2017 Average 110.2
2017 100+ Scores 11
2017 Sub-80 scores 5
2017 Highs & Lows High of 177, low of 36

THE GOOD

Sloane is clearly a top tier footballer, and prolific Supercoach scorer, when on form. A ball magnet, Sloane averaged 24.5 disposals, 6.3 clearances, 4.5 inside 50s, 8 tackles and almost a goal a game for the 2017 home and away season. He’s very durable, having missed 9 games since 2011, and when he goes big, he goes HUGE. 9 of his 11 100+ scores for 2017 were 130+, including scores of 168, 169 and 177.

Rory also has 6 of his first 9 games at home, where he averaged 121.1 Supercoach points in 2017. Tantalising stats, and I’ll be honest, if my beloved bombers ever get banned from the AFL for (questionable?) drug use, I’ll be straight on board the Sloane bandwagon.

THE BAD

Consistency can be an issue for Sloane. 11 scores above 100 for the season means one thing. 11 of his scores weren’t above 100. Seems pretty easy to comprehend, right?

This stems from one main problem facing the Sloanedog. The fatal tag.

Rory’s stellar form in the beginning of the season prompted opposition coaches to heavily tag him, and unlike his unstoppable ex-partner-in-crime Dangerfield, Sloane is, well, stoppable. When the tagging began, Sloane didn’t crack the ton again for the next seven rounds (including the bye). Problems.

But What About Crouch?

Ahh yes, the other formidable, and much more popular Adelaide midfielder, Matt Crouch. Anyone know if he’s related to our beloved friend from Pyanmar?

Crouch picked his game up another level in 2017, just as our father above, Jock himself, foretold. With an average and 2018 starting price almost identical to Sloane’s, it seems logical to pick the young man with the impeccable end of year form, coming off an average of 125.2 after his bye.

That run home is delicious if you’re going for league glory against all of your mates, but if you are after overall rank, what you want is a fast start. After all, it’s a lot easier to see the finish line when you’re out in front of the pack, and Sloane’s average after 10 rounds was 124, compared to Crouch’s 98, accumulating 263 more points in the process.

THE VERDICT

I may be a little biased, as I had Sloane for the entirety of last year so picked up his early bolt, and he’s also one of my favourite non-Essendon players. But I think he is worth considering, as his ceiling is massive and scores of 151, 92, 140 and 130 to end the season may signify he is learning to shake the tag. Plus he’s a nice POD, with only 5% ownership. Please Supercoach gods, do the right thing.

YES – and Crouch as an upgrade target

Follow Post MaSloane on Twitter

1. Apocalypse says:

Started Sloane last year and he exploded start of the season… think I'm going for his counterpart in M.Crouch this year though, trying to base my midfield around ball magnets, defence around rebounding defenders and saving some money in the forward line for now as I don't think the top 8 is that established. What are people's thoughts?

DEF:
    Laird, Lloyd, Shaw, Siciliy, Dooedee, Naughton (Keefe, Morgan)

MID:
    Dangerfield, Mitchell, Oliver, Crouch, Fyfe, Bont, Kelly, Holman (Banfield, Worpel, Barry)

RUCK:
    Gawn, Simpson (Cameron)

FWD:
    Buddy, Mclean, Smith, Garlett, Fritsch, Ryan (Ahern, Switzoki)

• Finnius says:

I was going to go thin in the forwards as well – but lack of rookies has meant that I have had to have a stab in the dark at who I think will go top 4… Very exciting but pretty risky strategy. You, like everyone, have gone deep in the mids – which isn't necessarily a bad thing but just watch out for playing, good scoring rooks in the forward line which are pretty tough to come by. Otherwise the side is pretty vanilla – would be going Lycett over Simpson with Dawson likely to be dropped as soon as Lobb gets back.

• Derek says:

i think we need to spend in the forward line because of the lack of rookies.

Buddy, heeney, menagola, billings will be close to top 6.

barlow and Devon won't be far away and are good value for Midfielders with forward status.

then you have Christensen and McCartin as way underpriced players.

don't need any rookies.

• Eric_the_Red says:

I've been thinking about McCartin recently. Do you think he's a justified selection instead of Christensen?

• dontblushbaby says:

I have Josh Thomas as my F5, might be a breakout imo, L.Ryan, Fritsch ,Garlett make up the rest atm

• paul says:

Allo Macpherson really thinking of taking a punt and taking all three .See how they go in there next JLT game tho.

• dontblushbaby says:

Knob Head Greene will be top 6 imo

• Daniel says:

Average, yes.
            Total, no (due to 3-4 games off for being a total knob head).

• dontblushbaby says:

My Fwd line currently is – Heeney,Greene,Barlow,Smith,Christensen ,Ryan

2. Rosco says:

I would put Keefe in the FWD line as you can then use him as a DEF/FWD swing with Sicily. That's provided Keefe even gets named. Other than that, solid.

• Apocalypse says:

I was keeping an eye out for a DEF/FWD rookie, didn't even realize he had the swing! If he gets named R1 he'll be in the forward line for sure.

• The Ranger says:

Keep an eye out for Brander from WCE. might be a better pick than Keefe.

• neil Demons Delight says:

was emergency JLT 1. good chance to play early or even Ballenden

• Dovaas says:

Not sure Keefe will get named in the 22 for first rounds. Fritsch, Ryan, Stephenson are my FWD rooks at the moment and Florent might get early games after starting some games last year

3. DacZawson says:

I’ve had Sloane coming in and out for Crouch for the last month or so, the fact that Sloane can offer a VC option is a big bonus.

Unrelated, who do people feel will fill out the top 8 defenders alongside Hurley, Laird, Hibberd and Yeo??

• Apocalypse says:

On top of those four, I personally like Simpson (no Docherty and back to #1 rebounding defender, ultra consistent), Lloyd (take out is concussion affected games last year and he's already almost there + Sydney will be a huge threat this year and then I don't mind Tuohy/Howe and maybe even B.Ellis could be a sneaky chance.

• Derek says:

It is too hard

4. Guest says:

"YES – and Crouch as an upgrade target"

I would have thought this should be the other way around. Based on their prices, Sloane is definitely more likely than Crouch to drop in price at some point, and would be the much easier upgrade target. You said it yourself, "2017 Highs & Lows, High of 177, low of 36".

Can't trust the reliability of Sloane at that price, get him later when the risk (and the price) aren't so high.

• Patch says:

Sloane will likely start the season like a house on fire – he loves the Adelaide Oval and the Crows play a lot of games there early. I prefer starting Sloane.

Reliability can be an issue though

5. INPieman says:

Standard deviation is too great for a bloke that's 605K. Only Daniel Rich is worse with a tag

• dontblushbaby says:

Hey INP, did you get the Herald Sun AFL Mag yesterday, I had a laugh where D.Rich was listed as an Elite Player with Dane Beams listed as Average ,seriously
      I haven’t read the the rest of the Mag yet

• Moocher says:

Yes, that’s Championship data crap. They usually get it right but boy, do they mess up sometimes.

• INPieman says:

Didn't read it DBB. Now that you've mentioned Daniel Rich rated as elite I won't be bothering. Might be elite at peeling oranges

6. Rick Grimes says:

I'm giving serious consideration. He certainly starts a season well and you'd think he's been working hard on tactics to break the tag. Surely.

7. Sloane says:

I love Sloane

8. SC_Kev7 says:

The fact that teams figured him out last year scares me off a bit. I have enough R14 premiums as it is.

It will only take one tagged game to see his 600k price tumble. I’ll pick him up later.

Nice writeup.

9. Finnius says:

How much spare cash are we thinking we need to start with this year? Ideally, I want 100k but atm my best side only has 30k in the kitty. Do we think I could make it by or would you want more to start with?

• Post_MaSloane says:

Id like 100k as well, but I only have 15k with my current team. Planning on double downgrading round 4 so I have a big kitty without sacrificing a premo

10. Willymack1234 says:

Thoughts on my team would be appreciated.

Def: Laird, Hibbard, Lloyd, Doedee, Naughton, Finlayson (Mirra, Keefe)

Mid: Danger, Mitchell, J.Kelly, Fyfe, Cripps, Cogs, Brodie, T.Kelly (Banfield, Barry, Holman)

Ruck: Gawn, Lycett (jefferies)

Fwd: Heeney, Billings, Walters, Sicily, Christensen, Fritsch (Ryan, Ahern)

80k in the bank

• Eric_the_Red says:

Love it.

• StevoRivo says:

Nice team. I do like the Def/Fwd swing though can’t cope with the idea of having Sicily in my team.

• Finnius says:

Like it a lot – one of the best teams I have seen so far. Always risky not starting Dusty as he is so elite so mayybeee go Kelly to him as they are relatively similar ownership and I think dusty will average 5 ppg higher by the end of the season. You know the risk of picking Lycett, however I think it is a pretty decent call.

Good Luck!

11. StevoRivo says:

• Willymack1234 says:

Neither did I at first but I gave in, he seems too good not to be picked at his price

12. AuroraBorealis?! says:

Thoughts on Barlow? He's a gun when he's on the park, and should have guaranteed midfield time, really just question marks over his fitness. Does anyone know if he was omitted from JLT 1 due to injury or was Dewy just giving the kids a run?

• TommyC99 says:

Will get plenty of mid time, i have doubts over his ability to keep up with the pace of the game

• Russty_ says:

He's old, and his legs snap like pieces of old chalk.

13. TommyC99 says:

Thoughts on Heath Shaw? Read the article and im really torn as to whether hes a good pick or not

• Russty_ says:

Yeah he could be worth a shot Tommy, If he shits the bed in the first 3 weeks you can get rid of him for someone younger.

• INPieman says:

It would be a backwards step for the Giants to make him the main man out of defence again. That's my concern. Sounds like Whitfield might be stepping into that role

• Steeeve says:

Don't think the Giants are too worried about a backwards step this year. They want a flag. And then Williams can take the Shaw role over again down the track.

14. The Ranger says:

Thanks for the right up Post.
    I've had Sloane in my preseason team a few times, been swapping him in and out with Oliver.
    I like that start to the season a lot. And the fact that he can repeatedly go big. And the fact that Gibbs might take a bit of attention from him.
    But ultimately I don't think I'll start with him, I need to be convinced he can shake a tag first.

15. Jesus says:

Hey Guys, can I please have some thoughts on my team?

Backline: Laird, Hibberd, Savage, L.Mcdonald, 4 rookies

Mid: Martin, Mitchell, M.Crouch, Fyfe, Shuey, Armitage, LDU, 4 rookies

Ruck: Gawn and Grundy, rookie

Forward: Heeney, Billings, Walters, Christensen, 5 rookies

Savage should be the new Montagna.
    Shuey will average above 110. Only players who could take points off him in the midfield are : Gaff and Nic-Nat.
    Armitage won’t tag players anymore. Jack Steele more likely to take up that role. Even if he averages 90 that’s a 100k jump.
    Christensen should play more through the midfield. However, not sold 100%.

• Finnius says:

Don't like the Luke Mcdonald pick – to risky to start the season with at that price. If he is going well it won't cost you that much to just wait and see. I'd swap him for Sicily if I was you.

I just wouldn't pick shuey because he is a bad bloke, but could be a good POD if he goes well. At that price would just not take the risk and go to Cripps however.

Savage is a lock in my team, and Armitage is the best pick this year. If he can average 100 then he makes us 200k whilst also providing consistent points –> and is only 100k more than a Cam Rayner. Surprised more people don't have him in.

Like the walters pick as well – will be the top forward this year IMO.

Good luck!

• Derek says:

Armitage just shoved JOM out of my team. that could still change after JLT2

• Jesus says:

I’m unsure about Mcdonald too. I was thinking of swapping him for Shaw. No Wilson, No Williams.

Last year was his worst year since his debut year in the AFL.

Just not sure how Cripps will cope with being the best player in a very young team.

16. GloryDays90 says:

Hi Guys,

Haven't posted my team for a bit, so would like some advice/criticism of my current one.

Chose to go weaker in DEF since there are more rookies available there who may play and Picked more Mid Pricers/Possible Premos in FWD Line.

DEF: Laird, Hibberd, Yeo, Coffield, Naughton. Doedee ( Keefe, Mirra)

MID: Danger, Mitchell, Fyfe, MacRae, Redden, Brayshaw, Dow, Brodie ( Banfield, Kelly, Holman)

RK: Martin, Gawn (Cameron)

FWD: Walters, McLean, Smith, Sicily, Christensen, Ryan (Fritsch, Garlett)

• Steeeve says:

Very risky forward line but could pay dividends. You'll be frustrated if Archie Smith gets a game. Personally I'd choose a cheap rookie and Coniglio instead of Dow and Brayshaw.

17. Loo says:

RDT – $78,400 remaining

Def – Laird, Hibberd (Melb), Sicily, Coffield, Noughton, Pearce (Doedee, Finlayson)

Mids – Titch, Danger, Zerrett, Adams, Dusty, Kelly, Brayshaw (Freo), Banfield (T.Kelly, Barry, Holman)

Rucks – Gawn, Lycett (Cameron)

Fwds – Buddy, McLean, J.Martin, D.Smith, Keeffe, Ahern (Fritsch, Ryan)

Rookies and their placement not decided yet.

All helpful input welcome, cheers guys

18. Steeeve says:

Completely agree about M Crouch being a trade target. Started slowly the past two years and then exploded. Would love him for anything less than $550k.

How's my team looking guys and gals?

Backs:
    Laird, Hibberd, Shaw, Doedee, Finlayson, Naughton (Mirra, Keeffe)
    Mids:
    Danger, Titch, Oliver, Fyfe, Cripps, Coniglio, Brodie, Kelly (Banfield, Barry, Holman)
    Rucks:
    Gawn, Lycett (English)
    Forwards:
    Heeney, JJ Kennedy, Dahlhaus, Smith, Dawson, Ryan (Rioli, Garlett)

Some justifications/thoughts:
    . I have $167,000 in the kitty in case Lycett doesn't work out
    . JJK will finish around the top forwards and I just don't trust Petracca/Curnow/Barlow
    . Dahl was terrible last year and still averaged 90 — only a couple years earlier we were all tossing up whether to start he or Dusty up forward
    . Gone for the most consistent mids possible, hoping other gun players will be more likely to drop in value
    . Shaw is worth a shot — shouldn't drop in value so little risk in starting him for mine

19. Frank says:

League code 747254 competitive stuff get aroused

20. tota says:

نقدم لكم بعض الخدمات فى الاعمال المنزلية الممثله فى التنظيف الشامل للمنزل ومكافحة الحشرات وعزل الاسطح وكشف تسربات المياة ونقل الاثاث بكل انوعه كل ذلك يساعد فى الحصول علي مظهر رائع بواسطة افضل الفنيين والمتخصصين فى هذا المجال باستخدام احدث المعدات.
    شركة عزل اسطح بابها شركة كشف تسربات بابها شركة تنظيف خزانات بابها شركة مكافحة حشرات بابها شركة عزل اسطح بخميس مشيط شركة كشف تسربات بخميس مشيط شركة مكافحة حشرات بخميس مشيط شركة تنظيف منازل بالطائف شركة نقل عفش بالطائف

21. tota says:

هل تبحث عن شركة متخصصة فى خدمات التنظيف بالطائف بافضل المعدات والسوائل وثقة تمة فى العمل ودقة فى النتائج كل هذه المميزت توفرها شركة الخليج الشركة الافضل والامثل فى الخدمات المنزلية بالطائف وبما اننا الشركة الافضل والامثل بدون منافس سوف نسعى لتوفر افضل الخدمات باقل تكلفة وبقدر كبير من الاهتمام والدقة عزيزى اينما كنت فى اى منطقة ا وحى تابع لمدينة الطائف اتصل بنا وسوف نصلك فى الحال شركة الخليج للخدمات المنزلية شركة تنظيف منازل بالطائف شركة تنظيف فلل بالطائف شركة تنظيف خزانات بالطائف شركة تسليك مجارى بالطائف شركة رش مبيدات بالطائف شركة مكافحة نمل ابيض بالطائف شركة مكافحة حشرات بالطائف شركة عزل اسطح بالطائف شركة عزل خزانات بالطائف