JARROD WITTS – Supercoach Spotlight 2018

Filed in Gold Coast 2018, Gold Coast Suns, Premiums, Ruckmen by on 04/03/2018 • views: 4496

Witts was a popular bench option in 2017, but it seems to begin 2018 everyone had pretty much locked in the Gawn/Nic Nat combo in as our starting rucks and called it a day.

Then we’ve been hit with the news about Nic Nat not even being able to jump yet during pre-season training and people have now begun panicking, racing about to try and find a new ruck combo to pick.

Would I say there’s enough panic with Nic Nat that it’s time for readers to crack open each others heads and feast on the goo inside? No I wouldn’t, Kent.

But what we can do is look at a few players and set up some contingency plans in the event we can’t pick Nic Nat, ones that will hopefully mean we don’t have to compromise other choices we’ve made across other lines, because as we all know, cheap ruckman are hard to come by.

Player Jarrod Witts: THE FACTS

2018 Facts $518,300 RUCK
2017 Games 18
2017 Average 94.3
2017 100+ Scores 6
2017 Sub-80 scores 3
2017 Highs & Lows High of 115, low of 72

THE GOOD

Consistency. That was Witts biggest asset of 2017.

He didn’t blow the roof off the place at any one point, with his season high being just 115 SCPoints, but he rarely failed either, with just the 3 sub 80 scores and never scoring below 72.

He was super close to boosting that 100+ score even higher, notching up 5 games where he scored 95-99 SCPoints, while also noting consistency with his hitout numbers too, recording 31+ hitouts in all but 2 of his games, with 7 games with 40-51 hitouts, while being just 0.1 AFL Player Rating points and 3.9 Champion Data points from being rated as an elite ruckman in the AFL.

He averaged 11.6 Hitouts to Advantage, which was 3rd in the AFL behind Sandilands on 13.1, Jacobs on 11.7 and equal with Gawn and just ahead of Ryder on 11.5. He also won 66% of his contested possessions pre-clearance, which was the 3rd highest percentage of any ruckman. This leads into “The Bad” for Witts…

THE BAD

There isn’t a ton you can put here for Witts, other than the fact outside of the ruck, he doesn’t provide a lot else for the Suns, providing very little impact on the scoreboard or elsewhere around the ground.

This hasn’t hurt him massively, but it has limited his ability to post big 110+ scores, with just 2 of his 6 100+ scores being above 110.

THE VERDICT

His Round 10 bye could provide some headaches, with bench ruck options usually being limited, but it could also be the opposite for the regular bye rounds.

At the moment he’s owned by just 0.5% of teams, which puts him in Super POD territory and his consistency means you can likely put him in and not have to worry about him at all during the year.

If Nic Nat is available, it makes sense that people go in his direction given his price and scoring capability, but at just $52,400 more, he’s a solid alternate option if you don’t, or can’t, shell out the extra $100K+ to grab Kreuzer or Ryder and want to go in a different direction than others who likely pick Goldstein, Jacobs or Grundy.

Community, will any of you consider picking Witts if Nic Nat is unavailable? Or even gutsier still, will you consider picking him even if Nic Nat is available?

Follow Barron on Twitter

1. Moppy says:

Would not touch either of them. SC rucks should be set and forget (IMO) so any of the top priced five rucks would do plus Gawn.

• Russty_ says:

Starting with Witts as R2 enabled me to finish in the top 1500 last year so….last year he was a set and forget, and could be this year too, if Nicholls doesn't share duties with him.

2. Krups says:

Kreuzer and Gawn for me. Not stuffing around.

3. TommyC99 says:

Nice write up, but if i was willing to take the hit during the round 10 bye, would definitely be locking in Ryder instead.

D3 is really bugging me atm. Do i got for Lloyd and have 85k in the bank, or go for Simmo and have 50k in the bank?

• Clueless says:

I reckon Simmo is the better option as Lloyd scores dropped heaps when McVeigh was in last year. Maybe also consider Sicily and Shaw (not sure on your team structure so just putting them out there).

• TommyC99 says:

Hey mate, thanks for the response, this is my team currently. Thoughts and suggestions? Got 50k left

Def: Hibberd, Laird, Simmo, Naughton, Doedee, Findlayson (Murray, Mirra)
        Mid: Danger, Titch, Oliver, Fyfe, Pendles, Cogs, Dow, Barry, (Holman, Ahern, Kelly)
        Ruc: Gawn, Grundy (Hayes)
        Fwd: Heeney, Billings, Smith, Christensen, Dawson, Ryan (Garlett, W Rioli )

• Clueless says:

Not sold on Pendles but can understand why you'd pick him but maybe go for Cripps, similar price range I think (can't remember and at work so can't check). Maybe even look at going Cogs down to Brayshaw/LDU (both should play most games and get good cash gen, I prefer Brayshaw) and then take one of D3-D6 up to Shaw/Sicily maybe even Dawson to Sicily if you have the cash (keep in mind your cash in bank) just to have that swing for trades during the season.

My reasoning for having 3 rookie mids on field is that there doesn't seem to be a huge selection of def/fwd rookies so I feel it is better to have an extra premo/midpricer in def/fwd as well as 3 rookies you know for sure will make you cash.

• Russty_ says:

Hey Tommy, I'd prefer Bont in there over Pendles, almost a straight swap.
          Also, Grundy might share ruck duties with Cox, maybe better to go for a lone ruckman.
          Maybe consider Armitage in the mids over Cogs, Armo looked really good the other day, so you could have 4 premos in the defence and only 2 rookies.
          Just suggestions mate, feel free to blow it off with a grain of salt lol

• CheekyNandos7 says:

I agree with Clueless, definitely consider Shaw and Sicily

4. StevoRivo says:

Interesting prospect Baron and a big call to have Witts as a keeper. I will stick fat with Ryder/Gawn combo. Stef Martin a prospect too though Port should win more games and Ryder can snag a few goals up forward too.

That said, what bench cover other than Cameron can we consider????

• Clueless says:

Lycett or Simpson if you're willing to spend I guess

• StevoRivo says:

Good call Clueless. Will be many rookie changes before Round 1 so Lycett very tempting.

• Russty_ says:

Pittonet and English could get some games, but no one really knows yet.

5. SC_Kev7 says:

Reckon Gaz had a lot to do with Witts’ HOA stat. Who’s gonna shark them now? Not enough upside to Witts this year

• INPieman says:

Gold Coast was crap with Gary. Imagine how bad they will be now. And they don't even have a home ground till mid year

• Rabbits16 says:

Yeh GC are stuffed such a horrible draw for the poor buggers.
        Looking at the draw…
        Rd 1 – GC v Nth Melb (Cairns)
        Rd 2 – Carlton v GC
        Rd 3 – GC v Freo (played in Perth)
        Rd 4 – West Coast v GC
        Rd 5 – Brisbane v GC
        Rd 6 – Adelaide v GC
        Rd 7 – Bulldogs v GC
        Rd 8 – Gc v Melbourne (played at the Gabba)
        Rd 9 – GC v Port (played in the country where my clothing is made with crouching ones cousins)
        Rd 10 – Bye
        Rd 11 – GC v Geelong (METRICON GOLD COAST) thought never get there

then home games @ Rd 13 15 17 19 21 22

• Rabbits16 says:

while on this train of thought….

GC SUNS – 7 home games ====LEAST HOME GAMES IN COMP====

Crows – 12 home games
          West Coast – 12 home games

St Kilda – 13 home games
          Western Bulldogs – 13 home games
          Freo – 13 home games

Richmond – 14 home games

Carlton – 15 home games (8 @ Etihad & 7 @ MCG)

Essendon – 16 home games (8 @ Etihad & 8 @ MCG) ====MOST HOME GAMES IN COMP====

Not sure if anyones got a decent spreadsheet going already with this stuff? i just have hand notes

i havent included those supposed home games that aren't at their native stadium i.e bulldogs play 2 home games in ballarat, GWS in canberra, melbourne in Northern Territory, GC/port in China etc

6. Osei O says:

What do we think of Nick Coffield's Job Security

7. INPieman says:

Nah. F*ck Witts

8. Jess says:

How far is Benell away?

Ideally I would like to start with him, but another idea is to start with Christenson, and if he doesnt work out then downgrade to Benell when he's back.

Thoughts?

• SC_Kev7 says:

There was an article today saying he will be welcomed back into the club next week for fitness testing (one is his conditions) but is unlikely to be considered for JLT2, instead getting match fitness at WAFL level

• INPieman says:

He's allowed back at the club on Tuesday. But he's done a calf injury & won't play JLT. He might play WAFL preseason games later in the month

9. Stan the man says:

Anyone going Bonner, half back for PA? Projected score of 78 and only $257K.
    PA supporters in particular, might he be a regular and will he be a fair chance for round 1.

• StevoRivo says:

Yes, I am starting with him at D4, he’s been just ok so far, but should make best 22. If he doesn’t get up for Round 1, I may downgrade to Naughton.

• Stan the man says:

I have Laird, Hibberd, Bonner, Coffield, Naughton, Doedee. – Gardner and Mihocek. If Bonner doesn’t make it, who else is there Rookie wise.

• ToughBretts says:

Ciaran Byrne from Carlton is almost a lock to play a bunch of games – 229k DEF

• Derek says:

Bowes and Alex Pearce interest me.

Pearce just named in Fremantle leadership grouo

• ToughBretts says:

As a general rule – ignore projected scores, especially for young players

10. Rakesh Mohan says:

There are better options available and with 10 away games….. Sun may not rise for Gold Coast.

11. Claire says:

I would like to select Ryder (with Gawn) but Paddy has the round 10 bye. Do we need only 18 players on the field like the bye rounds of 12, 13 and 14. If not, I will have a zero and I don’t think there are viable fwd/ruck to select on my fwd line. I’d take the punt if Ryder was fwd/ruck like 2017.

• Derek says:

Round 10 we need 22 on field. Just like a regular round. I have same problem, no backup

• Claire says:

Thanks Derek. Out Ryder, in Kreuzer or Jacobs, probably the latter.

12. INPieman says:

Nathan Vardy has been carried off the ground with a knee injury in a practise match!!!

• Keenbutclueless says:

Lycett amongst the best players. Have had him firmly locked in R2 for a while. When it was NicNat and Lycett, scores didn’t vary much when they played together it alone. Vardy coming in changes that dynamic, and is the only ponderable. Lycett to Ryder after his bye, just seems like a solid strategy. I think the set and forget strategy with rucks has gone out the window. Overall, their scores have come down a bit with all the rule changes. So it’s really just taking value where you can find it. After all SandiWitts was a winning strategy last year. Lycett and Gawn represents huge value for mine.

• Defying_Madness says:

Lycett locked in and the key thrown away if he plays round 1

• Derek says:

I heard it was a groin

• Keenbutclueless says:

One report said groin, another said adductor. Either way, not looking good for him. But strengthens the case for Lycett. I was rolling with Lycett before this. I think it will be a more popular choice now

• TOPHAWK1 says:

Scotty Lycett is now LOCKED in my side. No Vardy and no Nic Nat makes the decision a hell of a lot easier. At 277K an absolute bargain.

13. Claire says:

Newish to SC but from what I have read, the set-forget strategy is the way to go. Lycett is cheap and trading him for Ryder after the round 12 bye is food for thought especially with Nit Nat in the wars again.

• gator59 says:

Hi Claire if your going set and forget you would have to go Gawn and Kruz .. If you go Ryder and Gawn. you will have to take a donut round 10… I like the Lycett pick now that Vardy has gone down and may allow you to get an extra premo in the side.. Good luck on which way you decide to go..

14. CheekyNandos7 says:

Hey guys just a question about my on field rookies atm, here's there posi in the team

DEF – Doedee(D5), Mirra(D6), (Finlayson, Payne)

MID – Brayshaw(M6), LDU(M7), Kelly(M8), (The Worpedo, Ainsworth, Holman)

FWD – Ryan(F8), (Garlett, Fritsch)

My worry is with only $63k left do I have enough rookies for cash gen to get to full premo??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

• ToughBretts says:

That's fine
      Mirra shouldn't be ahead of Finlayson and Worpel may not be in round 1 discussions anymore, but obviously we still have to see JLT2

• CheekyNandos7 says:

That sucks, I just love being able to say "The Worpedo" ahah

• Derek says:

He might get a game later in year but my guess he will be in VFL most of season

15. TOPHAWK1 says:

A few more rookies are appearing. Nick Holman is looking pretty good. 71SC at three quarter time. 11 pozzies at a modest 63% DE, but also kicked a nice goal. If he plays round one, he could make my side at just 102K. Tim Kelly is now officially a LOCK. No doubt that bloke can play and looks certain to line up round one. 67SC at 3 quarter time, with 13 pozzies at 70% DE.

16. Spanner says:

Def – Laird, Hibberd, Savage, Shaw, Doedee, Finlayson

Mid – Danger, Dusty, Titch, Fyfe, Cripps, Brayshaw, Dow, LDU

Ruck – Gawn, Lycett/Simpson

Fwd – Heeney, McLean, Barlow, D Smith, Ahern, Ryan

Thoughts?

• paul says:

Not sure on Heeney don't think his average will go up and i feel he will struggle to hold it this year,
      My top forwards are Mc Lean ,smith, Sicily the other three a toss up looking at Dunkley, Macpherson ,christensen and Tiziani .
      I have nearly the same backline however I feel Rampe is a must have two excellent games from him my D4 and Ellis my D5.
      I feel Lycett is primed for a big year he is keen and has an opportunity now to really prove himself with more game time under his belt.
      Not to sure on simpson too much money on the bench. I feel Pittonet will give you some money over the year very impressed with the 33 mins he played.He must play at some stage.Mids I like, should all do well I have gone with Mid prices here as there are some very good players coni, redden,Armo,M8 Brayshaw.I am really looking at Redden as it's a different structure at W/C midfield and i feel he is going to enjoy as Shuey will cop the tag.

17. Warblegarble says:

DEF – Yeo, Laird, Hibberd, Naughton, O'Shea, Doedee (Keeffe, Mihocek)

MID – Dangerfield, Martin, Fyfe, Macrae, Cripps, Dow, Davies-Uniacke, Kelly (Banfield, Worpel, Barry)

RUC – Jacobs, Gawn (Hayes)

FWD – Heeney, Billings, Petracca, Curnow, Stephenson, Ryan (Ahern, Garlett)

$99,200 in the bank.

My main concerns are:

1) Elliot Yeo, is he the right choice for D1?

2) Is Jacobs the best pick for ruck alongside Gawn? Like many, I started with Gawn/NicNat and looked for another option.

3) Should I be worried about Heeney's 45SC yesterday? I didn't watch the match, so I don't know if he was in a different role, injured, or just plain bad.

18. DunNuthin says:

Tom Nicholls will eat his tog and his ave will drop. You'd think that Nicholls didn't exist from reading this OPINION not supported by ant facts. How can you suggest that somebody put him in their team?

19. paul says:

Thoughts on Redden and Ellis backline.I hope they play again in the JLT. I feel picking these two is going to depend on consistency.I feel Ellis may be the answer to my D5 problem which there about three good options. Redden maybe at M6.

20. Dovaas says:

Im taking a punt on R2 and after Gawn going either one of Simpson, Mckernan, Longer or Lycett and banking on 100k increase over first 5 or 6 rounds then upgrade from there. This is a parting from my normal set and forget rucks but Witts has showed if you get it right….. and this year there are options.

Worthy punt or to risky?

21. Moose says:

Take a punt and hope you can upgrade AFTER and not before the bye to your preferred ruck has be it Kreuzer, Martin, Sloane, Ryder etc. I am hoping to turn Lycett to Ryder or Sloane.
    Luck is needed!