PODCAST: LET’S GET DOWN IN G-TOWN

GARY. ABLETT. JNR.

The greatest player to ever have their stats registered by Supercoach is back in Geelong. Will it give him a fresh lease on life? Will he spring back into his glory years? Is there life in the old dog yet?

Patch and Lekdog cover those questions and more in the second week of the Jock Reynolds Community Fastasy Football Podcast, including if we select Jake ‘the snake’ Stringer, how many Fremantle midfielders you can shove into your side and whether or not Gold Coast have anyone at all we should consider picking.

The pair also uncover some nuggets of gold, debate the ethics of Supercoach draft keeper leagues and also learn How To Do Words Good.

For all your Supercoachy goodness, get it into your ear holes and let us know what you think – of us and our selections from Essendon, Fremantle, Geelong and Gold Coast.

Intro and outro music from https://www.bensound.com under Creative Commons.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Brad says:

Boys play to your strengths, some good analysis but drop the lame gags.
    Devon Smith is as injury prone as you can get. Will be Top10 on average, won’t play more than 17 games.

• Derek says:

Big call. If that is case you can’t pick him. What types of injuries has he had in past? Haven’t really taken much notice.

• Derek says:

I have 4 to fit into F3 & F4. Two out of Devon, Barlow, Petracca or MRobertson. I’m hoping one of them might be a decent season long keeper. Devon is only non DPP.

• Sandor says:

Shocking Knee's , look at his games log for the last 2 sesaons

• INPieman says:

Nobody expected Taylor Adams to play 22 games last year. He was injury prone

• TRIGGA_HAPPY says:

Adams could be a great pod this year.
        Not beyond him to jump another 10 pts.

• Derek says:

Robbie Gray was the same. Any week he was going fall in a heap.

• Luke says:

Awesome analysis but I agree with trying too hard with the gags and the “studio audience laughs” that are inserted almost to remind us to laugh……tough gig trying to match comedy with jocks podcast almost impossible, concentrate on your strengths in your analysis and with experience some comedic aspects will naturally come me along but the repeat Simpson gags and comedy laughs I would lose! Awesome work though guys very tough shoes to fill so just concentrate on your strengths and work on comedy later….keep up your hard work we all appreciate it!

• Patch says:

Is it the gags or the sound effects? I'm not sure Lek or I are physically capable of speaking without making lame jokes.

If he has a good start to the season, I'm more than happy to spend only 430k on him and upgrade him should we need to. If he falls over before round eight it's a problem, but a risk I'm happy to take.

• Finnius123 says:

I love the gags and the sound effects….. Keep up the good stuff.

• Stirlsy says:

NP with gags it breaks up all the stats keep it as it is Patch yr doing great..

• bAps says:

The jokes/puns are fine, its just the canned laughter that is really cringey. Its not the big bang theory, we don't have to be told when to laugh.

• Steeeve says:

I think you're missing the joke, which is that the gags are lame and not worth real laughter. Thus the laugh track.

• Borko says:

Love the gags and can laughter! Sound quality much better this week too!

2. SCDamien says:

Personally more bullish on Michael Walters than you two are. Both Anthony Rock and Ross Lyon have said he'll be part of the main midfield rotation.

3. Shake n bake says:

As it stands now im starting Ablett. Rd 14 bye travels 3 times before the bye im banking he makes it thru to the bye unscathed. 😬

4. Bomber says:

Well done boys, massive shoes to fill and attacking the challenge brilliantly. Just a thought; may be interesting to have a "Crouching-style" midpriced lover on there to balance out the discussion. You boys clearly G'n'R exponents. Which is cool, but what about those of us who love a good midprice break-out contender?

5. Shake n bake says:

I will reassess. I like to side ways trade come byes l did trade Danger 2016 and last year l traded Mitchell when they had there byes then got them back in might do same with Ablett who knows!!

6. Finnius123 says:

Thoughts on Sicily everyone? At the moment locked in at F3 in my side.

• Patch says:

I have no doubt he'll be discussed at length next week. As mentioned, he, Devon Smith and Charlie Curnow are all in a very heated battle for my F3 slot.

• Stirlsy says:

Yep I like him can go off the rails if other teams target him and put a poor score in but he has big upside IMO sits F4 for me ATM.

• Defying_Madness says:

Locked into F4 in my team and he will probably stay there unless there is an injury

7. BloodyFranklin says:

Hey Lads,

I went into last weeks Podcast very skeptical but came out pleasantly surprised. As a long-time listener, I feel the transition couldn't have gone any smoother. It was obvious you guys were nervous at the beginning, but were quick to build momentum and keep it going. The content was raw yet amusing, anyone who doesn't appreciate a good pun and some Simpsons references would have to be an incredibly miserable flog. Amongst all the shenanigans and tomfoolery you both managed to deliver quality Supercoach content which helped me to reconsider my team, and make adjustments. So for that, thank you.

If I could offer any advice, some refinement of the introduction wouldn't go astray. I would go as far as saying a complete overhaul? Also, Patch could be a bit louder.

I look forward to listening to you guys throughout the season.

Cheers.

“I used to be with it, but then they changed what ‘it’ was, and now what I’m with isn’t 'it'. And what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary to me.”

• Lekdog says:

This is just awesome feedback BloodyFranklin, I love you.

• Patch says:

Love it mate – intro is having a good, long look.

I am also a very quiet human and I NEED TO BE LOUDER

Love the feedback mate – really appreciate it!

• BloodyFranklin says:

No worries man, if you keep talking we'll keep listening.

I have nothing against quiet humans… Some of my friends are ninjas.

• Waryat says:

Have only listened to the first show so far, looked at the feedback and just wanted to reassert what has already been said that if you (Patch) was a bit louder (closer to the mike maybe?) that would be great.

Thanks for stepping up to the plate, good luck boys.

• OldOcker says:

Call me DUMB but I have no idea about any sort of transition.
      What is the transition you speak of?

• BloodyFranklin says:

Out with the old, in with the new. The changing of the guard, as such. Or what I like to refer to as… “the changing of the Jocks”.

Nothing like a fresh pair of Jocks.

8. FetusDave says:

Any thoughts on Lachie Weller?

• DacZawson says:

Gold Coast clearly keen on him given what they gave up, but only scored 4 scores 80+ last year.

Can't see his average jumping up enough to have any value in Supercoach, yet.

• Leeds17 says:

Would take a ;punt if he was FWD or DEF, but MID only doesn't look like a keeper and not cheap enough as a stepping stone

9. DacZawson says:

First comment of the season. Good to be back.

At this point I'm just keen to see the structure's regarding premo's and mid-pricers people are rolling with.

For example at this current point I'm rolling with:
    DEF- 2 Premo's, 1 Mid Pricer
    MID- 6 Premo's
    RUC- 2 Premo's
    FWD- 2 Premo's, 1 Mid Pricer

• INPieman says:

No point planning one structure. All depends on where the rookies fall. Plan your structures around rookie scenarios. Thoughts at this point is we will have more in the mids & fwd. But let's see what the JLT offers up

• DacZawson says:

Yeah of course you wouldn't want to lock in a structure now, more interested in numbers of mid-price options people are starting with in each line. Can't wait for the JLT to actually begin.

• hedski says:

Hey DAC, I'm currently going with only one "midprice/breakout" (Petracca), but three "stepping stones" (Seedsman, JOM, Christensen).

Def – 3 Premo, Seed.
      Mid – 5 Premo, JOM.
      Ruck – 2 Premo.
      Fwd – 2 Premo, Tracca, Christensen.

A lot could change in the next month though.

10. hedski says:

Great pod lads, mic issues sorted out, heaps clearer, the chemistry is there you can only get better 👍.
    Menegola is a wait and watch for me, I think he could be an upgrade target when we see how the side gels, Gazza getting closer to a berth in my team, he may go off tap at the start of the season.
    I reckon Luke Ryan is an interesting option in def for freo, possibly better than Wilson? Any thoughts there?
    Cheers boys keep up the good work.

• DacZawson says:

Don't mind Ryan but can't see him jumping up enough in his second season to become a semi-consistent 90 average player

• hedski says:

He has a decent ceiling as he showed last year and being mature aged I see him ahead of a 19 y.o second year player for example.
        Not in my team but worth some thought.

• INPieman says:

Gday Hedski. If there is a player that can do an Oliver/Kelly & go straight from mid pricer to premo it's Luke Ryan closely followed by Witherden or possibly Newman down back. But it's very risky. Ryan also had a significant injury history in the VFL. I've seriously considered it. But unlikely to take the punt. Especially with Ross holding the whip. Luke Ryan did Av 107 in his season in the VFL. And that included games where they experimented him playing forward before injury ended his season. He did rack up 200 on debut for Coburg. Jock & Higgo were at the game & thought he was going to be an SC beast eventually. So the man can score massive. Intercept specialist & his disposal is elite. Bloody Ross. Keep a close eye on Luke Ryan. Reminds me of Barlow

• Patch says:

I had a look at Ryan but didn't have time to get into him. Interester but would need a huge JLT to come into consideration.

Ross Lyon also scares me to no end.

11. DacZawson says:

What are people's thoughts are regarding having Danger, Dusty and Mitchell from the very start?

12. Gazza says:

Josh Kennedy why no one have him

• Steeeve says:

I want to start him but he always starts slow. Should be the same price around the byes.

13. hedski says:

I think both the Josh Kennedys are coming off a bit of ankle/knee cleanout surgery this preseason, might scare people off Gazza.

14. Finnius123 says:

I'm leaning towards Neale based off ownership. Talk me out of it.

• DacZawson says:

No issue having Neale, the only way to talk you out of it would be if you've neglected other mids that for maybe a few more dollars could have much greater value (eg. Kelly or Mitchell)

15. Lekdog says:

To those playing at home, yes I did say Devon Smith would average over 100 followed by Sam Menegola will be the only forward who averages over 100 in 2018. Fight me.

• hedski says:

Put ya dukes up Lek, I'm leading with a left then right Heeney.🙌

• Patch says:

Still more intelligent than "Lime Blue".

For those playing along I will not fight anyone over that, I was dumb.

• BundyBear says:

Im with you on Menegola . So no need to fight over that one

16. Gazza says:

Is this good Forward who should i swap Heeney,Kennedy WCE,Gray,Barlow,J Higgins,W Rioil

17. Tyruddanaut says:

Love the post ❤️

18. Borko says:

I know I am going back to last week, but I feel like Sauce Jacobs could be a good starting ruck partner for Max Gawn this year. Very durable and we don't have any viable R/F swings this year, at least in first half of the season. He may end up 4-5th by avg but may be top 2-3 ruck for points and save us a trade or two.

19. Gish says:

Heath shaw $450k. Spending big in mid need cheap defence. Maybe shaw just a bad year last year? No more Wilson? Food for thought

20. Totti says:

Hey guys I know this is a bit off topic but can you guys start a super couch group like we did a couple of years ago

21. Steeeve says:

Seriously considering Goldy after reading he's pulled his head in. Nic Nat in my team at present but Lycett could share the ruck.

• Lekdog says:

Me to Steeeeeeeve

• Patch says:

There's the Lycett call. Knew he was too big to fit under my novelty sized hat. Will be discussed in a few weeks. I'm tempted.

• Soothsayer says:

I had him straight in with Gawn, he has had all summer to get get over the Scott-Hate. It’s greatvto see everyone back, thanks for stepping up Lek, patch and Barron but Lek, it was always the Tecoma boys keeping Upwey on top.

22. TOPHAWK1 says:

Is Patch a Gerard Whateley clone? I swear its Gerard on the podcast tonight……HAHAHAHAHA!!!

• Patch says:

I did actually work with Gerard for a while, he knows how to word good more betterer than me, but I've got him in the Simpsons department.

And in the end, isn't that what really matters?

• TOPHAWK1 says:

Agreed. I met Gerard in 1999, at a "Four n Twenty" pies sponsored event. James Hird was there as well!! Homer Simpson would be proud!

23. Canny says:

Tom "DOO-DAY" (Doedee) is the pronunciation for anyone wondering 🙂

24. aflstrategy says:

Yeo, Laird, Hanley – Rookies
    Danger, Titch, Martin, Z Merrett, Fyfe, Pendles, Armitage – Rookies
    Goldy, Gawn
    Franklin, D Smith, Petracca – Rookies.

might be going too deep in the mids with armitage but I rate him highly. look at his start to 2015. will look at closely in JLT.

Thoughts?

• Patch says:

Reckon you're one deep in the mids and one short in the forward line – I also feel there are better options than Yeo, but I haven't looked closely at him yet.

Like the Petracca pick

25. Rick Grimes says:

Hey guys, are there any Witts-like, bargain locks to be had this year? I hate buying two premo locks, would rather use the money elsewhere.

• Gazza says:

Witts personly had one off year

• INPieman says:

Lycett is very under-priced. But like Witts last year is comes with significant risk

• Rick Grimes says:

I hear Nicnat is pushito be fit r1. Even if he does, will they play both of them? I went Witts last year happy if he scored 85ish. Lycett might be tempting if he can get enough ruck time.

• Lekdog says:

Lycett is one on my mind and maybe Simpson (pending how GWS line up

26. Gazza says:

Laird Hibberd and one more def who should it be

27. WYatt says:

Whos LDU

28. StevoRivo says:

Morning lads. Loving the pods and articles. Without putting up my team, question…

Nic Nat, Yeo & Stringer (F4) OR Ryder, Hibberd & Christensen (F4).

Appreciate your feedback & keep up the great work!

• Lachy says:

the second one

• DacZawson says:

Definitely 2nd option

• StevoRivo says:

One more question, and relevant to Port selections given Round 10 bye…

Robbie Gray or Dahlhaus at F2?

• DacZawson says:

I think it's a bit of a wait and see regarding where both of them line-up. Dahlhaus has shown much greater potential when consistently rotating through the mids and Gray certainly the same. At this point leaning towards Dahlhaus just.

• Lekdog says:

NicNat still can't move his legs too far, I'd lean toward option two and pray for a rookie ruck in round 10

• StevoRivo says:

Thanks Lek. Looking like option 2 a safer bet. Now it’s down to Robbie G v Dhalhaus

• paul says:

I amThinking about Yeo looks like he is going to get a fair bit of midfield time.

• hedski says:

They threw him in the mids at the end of last year Paul, I think he scores better as a half back rebounder.

29. FetusDave says:

How do I find an email address for one of the podcast guys?

• Lekdog says:

I can give it to you via DM on Twitter or you can message the facebook page

30. Shake n bake says:

Hannebury in doubt for rd 1

31. Tibor says:

Heeny and Whitfield. Or

Josh Kelly. And Libba

• DacZawson says:

1st option purely based on avoiding Libba, but reckon you should probably rearrange so you can either upgrade Whitfield to an uber-premo or downgrade and then upgrade other areas

32. Franklin Show says:

Thought on Cyril this yr? Was away from the group but still would have done his own preseason. Looks to me that a number of people haven't gone him just yet priced at $317k should avg 90 ish as he has for the past 8 yrs. I'm a hawks man so maybe a biased view.

• Franklin Show says:

seems a safer pick also at slightly less than Stringer. Stringer may have more upside but you know what you are going to get with Cyril if he plays 20+ games.

• DacZawson says:

While I think Cyril is not a good option either way, I'd still clearly put Cyril in front of Stringer by the length of the Nullabor Plain in Supercoach.

• Tibor says:

I don't trust Cyril's hamstrings with anything less than a perfect preparation. I don't like him as a supercoach option. I would not be stupid enough to call him over rated but he is a great player based on flashes of sheer brilliance rather tha a consistent accumulation of points.

You go as far as to question whether you are biased because he's a hawk, Would you really be interested if he played for Collingwood

• Derek says:

i am being really strong this year and not putting him in my team. also a hawks fan i understand your bias. i started him last year when he was $500k.

he is long over his hammy problems. he played 20 games in 2015 and 19 games in 2016 (he missed 3 games when his grand-father died).

last year he took a screamer in round 1 but landed awkwardly on his hip. that effected him at the start of the year, until he went for another screamer and smashed his knee on the back of somone's head. out for the season.

he should be fit to go, no injury concerns, just his fitness.

he was given personal time when his father had a heart attack, his dad is ok and Cyril has been back for a month, obviously his training is behind schedule, but this is Cyril.

i watched the 2015 GF last week. By half time Cyril had 9 disposals but had the Norm Smith wrapped up.

super consistent averages 94,100, 99, 88, 93, 93, 90, 64. last year you can put a cross through.

if he gets 18+ disposals he will score 100+

it is the days he has 11 touches and scores 65. unfortunately he has too many of them to have him in my team this year.

• Derek says:

PS… he is only 28 years old.

• Lekdog says:

This is a great summary of why I can't go near him

• Franklin Show says:

Yeah i'm not worried about hammy's at all.

All incredibly good points, he may start the season slowly but if he plays 18+ games i think he will avg 85+ which pushes his price up $150k ish. The question then comes can you find better value with rookies who can score well in the first half of the year.

I'm going to hold my judgement till i see him in the JLT, I love cyril and at $317k its really difficult to not include him in my side.

33. GloryDays90 says:

Hey Guys,

Any feedback on my current team would be great!

DEF: Laird, Hibberd, Houli, rookies

RK: Goldy, Gawn

MID: Danger, Mitchell, Sloane, Merritt, Fyfe, Rookies

FWD: Heeney, Dalhaus, Walters, Sicily, Rookies

61k left

• Lekdog says:

Like your pods, decent structure…you could lock this in now and do pretty well

• TommyC99 says:

Not too sure about Sloane mate. Until he shows he can shake off a tag i wont be considering him

34. JAKE THE SNAKE says:

PODCAST IS NOT THE SAME WITHOUT JOCK. NEED JOCK BACK ASAP!! BOMBER MIKE DO YOU AGREE?

• BOMBER MIKE says:

@jock_reynolds jock mate, podcast is full of great SC knowledge but the boys need to find their own feet and flow. Early days I know, but drop the laugh track and the repetitive jokes.

• Box says:

Totally agree, good info but the laugh factor is just not there…………….

35. One Touch Wonder says:

Great to hear the boys. Nice job fellas. Starting to get sick of looking at the same cookie cut teams. It is time to think like a SHARK. Don’t follow everyone else’s advice. Do your own thing. Take a risk with your starting team. First SHARK MOVE of the year – Get players who won’t go down in value. There are plenty of quality players who are great value. Start with them.

Lloyd. Shaw. Hanley. Brayshaw. Birchall. O’Shea. (Mitts. Murray)
    Ablett. Fyfe. Parker. Cripps. Rockliff. Coniglio. O’Mera. O’Brien (Ahern. Higgins. Holman)
    Gawn. Simpson. (Olango)
    Heeney. Barlow. Robinson. Hogan. C Rioli. Christensen. (Venables. Ryan)

36. Finnius123 says:

Kelly or Oliver?

37. Jordan says:

Fyfe and dalhause
    Or
    Titch and petracca

38. TommyC99 says:

Kruezer, Goldy or Jacobs?

Billings, Greene or Menegola?

• Finnius123 says:

I have gone Kreuzer and Greene at this stage – but that could change.

39. Jdam says:

Podcast going great but the canned laughter is a bit too much and the audio clips are louder than your voices.

40. Skindog says:

Hey boys, nice job, my call would be to just cruise with it, when your just talking players it flows well, but then the shitty E grade dad jokes come in but then the APPLAUSE sign got put up early before the great joke had been fully delivered and the fans went nuts, kinda threw me a little, forget the rehearsed jokes, forget the laughter, just flow, sounds better and the jokes will come when theyre there,,,,

41. Jordan says:

What does everyone expect dalhause to average?

42. Sam_01 says:

Solid podcast fellas, well done! would love a bit of feed back on my squad

BACK: Laird, Hibberd, Simpson, Hanley, O'shea, rookie
    Mids: Danger, dusty, kelly, fyfe, the butcher (treloar), cripps, rookie, rookie
    RUCK: Gawn, Nicnat
    FWD: Heeney, Sicily, Smith, Rookie x3
    20k in the bank

Before you tell me to flick treloar im a pies fan and he is in my team and wont be moving top 10 mid 2016, Sicily had a very solid back end of last season after being moved down back think he averaged 90+ in his last 10 which included a 25 he threw out after his flog head got the better of him and gave had 10 clangers

• Krups says:

Get rid of Nic Nat. Not confident one bit

• Sam_01 says:

i heard he will be going into JLT 2 probably looking to do the same with him as i did sandy last year, would love ryder but his bye round is a killer plus he has a big price tag, will assess nicnat in JLT most likely will start him

• Krups says:

Goldy is over his marriage break up and has a new gf. Should be great again this season

• Sam_01 says:

Pruess and majack factor though? i have had goldy in my team at some point just so much up in the air as always haha nicnat if he is fit enough will make a bit of cash id think then can look to trade him

• TommyC99 says:

I’m a pies supporter and I’m taking Pendles instead

• Sam_01 says:

Ive had pendles in and out my team for a while would love both him and treloar, just scared that bucks will use him elsewhere other than the mids, where as treloar will be in the mids no question just needs to tidy up his efficientcy. Would still like them both as is though just think it would weaken my other lines a bit to much but open to peoples thoughts on having crips at M7 haha

43. Nuggety says:

Great work boys, keep it up. Some of my best work is after a few bevys…given this any thought? Drunk people are hilarious and always say what they really think.
    Anyway, thanks for the sc relevant team analysis, lovin it!

44. WYatt says:

Hanley good option or not

• Sam_01 says:

been rumored more mid time with ablett out the scene, had personal issues with his brother last year also. should preform above his price tag id think

• dontblushbaby says:

I'm tossing up between him and Shaw as my D3 , waiting on the JLT

We are hearing every coach saying certain players are spending more time in the midfield this year, we here it every year, but in Hanley's case I believe he will be

45. Wally Brando says:

Can anyone tell me if Adam Treloar’s drop in SC scoring last year was mostly because of poor disposal efficiency or were there other main factors?

• Sam_01 says:

not really sure why it went down the trash can, alot of drama surrounding bucks and the club as to coaching and playing finals, pendles had his kid coming and had injury niggles aswell these factors may have hurt him a little bit. i still rate him and he is a fair pod capable of 110 average

• Beezneez says:

His disposal efficiency was absolute shite.

46. Jordan says:

Charlie Curnow it Sicily?
    Boak or gray?
    Greene or billings?

47. Mike says:

Another good podcast Lek and Patch. Keep it up.

The League 'Jock's Jock' is looking for a few players. Good standard – not insane. https://supercoach.heraldsun.com.au/afl/classic/#

48. Mike says:

Lek/Patch…No discussion of Cerra or Brayshaw for Freo? Or are you going to do a rookie episode soon? Maybe after a few rounds of pre season…(Please do.).
    Anyway enjoying the podcast which I didn't think was going to be possible. So you must be doing bloody well.

• Lekdog says:

Hey mate, we’re not going to pretend we know stuff about the rookies which is why we’ve steered clear, will have more of an idea come JLT

49. D_I_L_D_O_R says:

Blakely vs Smith? Have the capacity to go one of them

50. Beezneez says:

Latest from WC is that NicNat will start training with the main group and is on track for JLT 2.

• INPieman says:

Far from an ideal pre season Beez

• Beezneez says:

Agreed – need to monitor JLT including form of Lycett – both risky picks. If only Ryder didn't have the round 10 bye he would be a no- brainer.

• INPieman says:

I have Lycett at R2 ATM. Don't mind the idea of using him till Ryder comes off his bye. Just need him to survive that long. Risky but Lycett is great value

• Derek says:

If NicNat was 2017 Sandi priced, under $350k, I’d take the risk. But he is pretty expensive. I’ll pass.

51. Derek says:

Birchell won’t play round 1. Confirmed by the hawks.

A reshuffle in my team needed.

• Shake n bake says:

Maybe Wright $45k cheaper maybe one to watch in the JLT?

• Rick Grimes says:

Hey Derek, are you still keen on Callum Mills? The kid can play. Potential break out year?

• Derek says:

Not really. I know he has been training with the midfielders this pre season but his role will be very defensive. He will have a tagging role to start this year. I can’t see him getting enough of the ball but tackles to add up. Papley and Heeney look to be the two who will be looking to get and go from JPK’s inside work. Parker will be half forward with Jack and Hanners on the wings.

I like Heeney and maybe Papley.

Lloyd will be good as long as he stays in defence and isn’t asked to do much midfield time.

McVeigh will stuff Newman’s scoring until he gets injured.

52. deez says:

laird – hibberd – brayshaw – rookies
    zorko – m crouch – zerrett – fyfe – bont – cripps – heeny – rockliff
    gawn – english
    gray – dollhouse – walters – rookies

53. Rick Grimes says:

I'm really warming to Pearce Hanley. Should see more midfield minutes and will be hugely motivated to put his 2017 behind him. Hand has healed (apparently) and good preseason (apparently). Part of the leadership group. I'm hoping he can average 90-95.

54. Jordan says:

Pendles good option?

• TOPHAWK1 says:

Nope

• Derek says:

His average is going in the wrong direction. I can see I bit of a mammoth curve happening and he might improve a few points from last year, but I’m afraid his best days are behind him.

He goes into the same group with JPK, Selwood, Cotchin, Goddard, Sidebottom, Ablett, Simpson & Shaw. Game has gone past them.

55. Hooks says:

Some Doubts in my team being Petracca, Dahl, Sicily and Coniglio? It seems not as popular as I thought but seems a no brainer for me if fit will make money. Thoughts on those guys above?
    Don't like Lobb or Curnow atm to inconsistent.

• TommyC99 says:

The only player from that group you’re really picking to make money is probably Sicily. You’re hoping for a breakout year from tracca to be a fwd keeper, you’re picking Dahl to be a keeper and cogs is in the middle where he won’t make ya much cash, but won’t be top 10.

• TOPHAWK1 says:

Out of those 4 you mentioned, Petracca and Sicily are the two guys I am seriously looking at.

• Derek says:

I can’t see why Coniglio won’t average 105-110. At that output he is right up there with Cripps, Bont, Beams, Parker and other players who are over $100k more expensive.

I don’t expect any of those guys to be top 8 mids, but they won’t be too far away, so if you are going with any of the slightly lessor premiums, why not save $100k?

• Leeds17 says:

Spot on with Coniglio, he has it in him to go 110 I think, just needs to stay fit.

Beams is a very interesting one IF he was to stay fit play out 20-22 games I could see him being a top 5 mid, risk/reward.

• NoLanguage says:

Coniglio is a beast when fit, I agree with Derek should average 110 and is a bargain. Sicily is risk v reward and currently in my side. Dahl was a yo yo last year so I'm staying away from him and watching Tracca in the JLT. Last two for mine.

56. Bootsmaaa says:

seriously considering starting a rookie ruckman should English be named which im expecting him to be,
    any thoughts on current team??
    this is just about the strangest it has looked through the preseason although I dont mind it

Laird Hibberd Simpson Bonner rookies
    Danger Dusty Titch Kelly Fyfe Cripps Graham/JOM rookies
    Gawn English rookie
    Heeney Billings/Greene Sicily Christiensen rookies

• Rick Grimes says:

English hadn't been on my radar but seeing a few with him. Those who got on Witts early last year had big advantage. Very tempting if he can get a 75-85 score each week.

Rest of the team looks solid. I'd go Billings over Greene, just for flog factor.

• Leeds17 says:

English to Ryder or even Witts after their bye is a very interesting ploy/plan, you'd want to be confident you've found a rookie ruck for R3 who'll get some games, screwed otherwise if English get dropped or even just rested.

57. NoLanguage says:

Love your work boys.

Would love some thoughts/opinions on my team at this early stage.

B – Laird, Hibberd, L.McDonald, Hanley, S.Wright (Rookies)
    M – Dusty, Merrett, Fyfe, Cripps, Coniglio, (LDU & Rookies)
    R – Martin, Gawn, Cameron
    F – Menegola, Heeney, Walters, Sicily (Rookies)

$70k in the bank

Strategy here is calculated risks on both Hanley in the backline and Sicily up forward. I firmly believe McDonald is primed for a breakout playing as a permanent wingman with North's lack of big bodies in the mids. Only concern is whether I'm a bit light in the mids but for me Coniglio is a no-brainer at 450k and LDU is a jet. Do I sacrifice one of my backs/forwards for another premo mid or roll with what I've got?

Pumped to be back, good luck to Patch, Lekdog and the boys this year 🙂

• Rick Grimes says:

Like the Luke McDonald pick. Hanley also has logic. Both are needed to step up with midfield minutes. Will Gaz have an impact on Menegola? Stef Martin good pick as long as he's solo. If Cognilio can pump 105-110 consistently he'll be fine at m8 come season end. People with stacked mids are light elsewhere, so it's swings and roundabouts (whatever that means).

• Derek says:

I like McDonald, has a lot of upside with Gibson leaving. Has ability to average 90+

I expected him to be a bit cheaper. Can get Lloyd for same price. Probably not strong enough to be D2 and too expensive to be D3.

But he will be a genuine midfielder this year so he is very high on my watch list.

• NoLanguage says:

Cheers Rick. Yeah Gaz may impact Menegola I just think Scott will use him everywhere, unlike Menegola who should be played primarily in the guts.

• Wally Brando says:

Menegola offers consistency, has a higher floor than most premo Fwds, rarely drops below 80, even when playing more up forward. And might get off the leash more with Gaz in the team?

58. TommyC99 says:

Lloyd or Macdonald for D3

Also thoughts on Pendles?

• Lekdog says:

Never right off a guy like Pendles. Those two are similar to each other, McDonald just

• Wally Brando says:

Up until last year Pendles was ranked top 2 in the league for total SC points 4 years in a row. Apparently moving better than ever and dominating the clearances at training. Pick him!

• Derek says:

Lloyd is ahead of McDonald based on what he has done in the past. Take away the 4 he scored last year he should be $502k.

You are getting McDonald on what he might do. If he was $50k cheaper might be great option.

Pendles should do a few points better than last year, but his Uber days are over purely on the uncertainty of his role. Hindsight will tell on him this year, but I’m not taking the risk.

• TommyC99 says:

Yeah as hard as it will be as a pies supporter, i should be passing on him. If he looks the goods early, ill chuck him in as an upgrade but Oliver looks to have more upside.

Will you be going with Lloyd Derek? What concerns me a little is the fact that he only had 1 ton post bye and 3 scores under 80. How much of that can you put down to his concussion or the inclusion of Mcveigh and a few others? Could that affect him this year too?

• Derek says:

McVeigh is a pain. Stuffed Newman last year.

My son is in the swans academy and keeps an eye on what all the boys are doing, he tells me Mills has been training 100% as a lock down midfielder. Lloyd is still half back which is better for his scoring than midfield or wing.

Expect Parker to play more forward and Papley more midfield this year

• INPieman says:

One of the biggest contributors to Supercoach scoring by champion data is called kick rating. They measure the difficulty of every kick & how effective it is. The same bloke year in year out come out on top, Pendles. That's why he dominates in scoring for years. Last year I noticed he got run down a lot, he was holding the ball longer because the options in front of him were crap. And that was why his Av dropped. I'll be watching the Pies forward set up closely in JLT

59. ChewyOnYa says:

Which option do i take?

Option 1: Hurley, Billings and O'meara (or armitage)
    Option 2: McDonald, Petracca and another premo mid (and which mid would you go, already have dusty, titch, fyfe, cripps, coniglio)

Cheers

60. CheekyNandos7 says:

Hey guys, posted this in the Macrae write up but didn't get replies so posting it here as well, would really appreciate some thoughts on the preseason team.

DEF: Laird, Hibberd, Hanley, O'Shea, Doedee, Mirra (Murray, Keefe)

MID: Danger, Titch, Zerret, Fyfe, Cripps, Coniglio, LDU, Kelly (Ahern, Worpel, Holman)

RUC: Gawn, NicNat (Jeffries)

FWD: Heeney, Billings, Dahl, Crhistensen, Switkowski, Ryan (Garlett, Spargo)

$241k left in the bank. As always rookies subject to change depending on JLT/Rd1 selections.

Just some thoughts I've been having though –

1. Coniglio to Crouch (Leaving $85k)
    2. O'Shea to Sicily AND Dahl to Petracca ($69k left)
    3. NicNat to one of Jacobs/Martin/Ryder ($181-140k left)
    4. Christensen to Lobb/Petracca ($112-75k left)

TIA for your help lads

61. BluebaggerJosh says:

115,600 in the bank

DEF: Hurley, Laird, Hibberd, O shea, Doedee, Murray (Mirra, O keefe)

MID: Dangerfield, Martin, Tom Mitchell, Fyfe, Cripps, Coniglio, Dow, Luke davies-uniacke (kelly, worpel, spargo)

RUC: Gawn, Naitanui (Cameron)

FWD: Menegola, Heeney, Curnow, Ahern, garlett, Ryan (Higgins, Rioli)

Obviously Rookies gonna change depending on JLT/selection (for example tossing up between Dow or Rayner) but would like thoughts on premos/mid pricers and overall structure.

Some changes i'm considering
    Tossing up also between Curnow and Sicily. Also considering Curnow to a fwd premo such as greene, Curnow to christensen and a rookie in backline to Sicily OR a fwd rookie to Christensen but these options leave me bare in the cash department.
    Thanks.

62. OldOcker says:

WOW is all I can say.
    What is going on?
    I am oblivious as to what is going on in this JOCK REYNOLDS community of AFL.
    What have I missed?
    Where is Jock, Higgo AND my man from Pyanma? You lovable RICHMOND rum can man.

63. OldOcker says:

The transition is news to me and I am very disappointed in that.
    Finding posts that were published a long time after the fact does not wash with me.
    I went from August 29th post from Carl where everyone was posting to NOW

i support you lads but for [email protected]*k sake even the first podcast should have some reasoning as to why they gave it away.
    Humor aside, This is a VERY SERIOUS TRANSITION.
    PLEASE do not take this as a given that you will maintain the support the lads had. You will lose many because you are not Jock, Higgo or Crouching.
    Jock got a lot of his support through "Men's Issues" as well.
    Who am I to talk though?
    I only give stats and opinions.

• Luke says:

They'll come back. After all the fan furore. I'm just glad the site is still open at the least

• OldOcker says:

TOO late for that my friend.
        Why would they come back?
        TRANSITION.
        At least the site is still open? Just like any ordinary site for AFL. (Because that is what it is now)

Transition is a process.
        The process never happened.
        This is a Changeover it seems.
        Totally different and Simpsons references annoy the [email protected]#k out of me, If SIMPSONS is associated with AFL I will be give the game away gladly and with honor. AFL is better than a stupid cartoon I have never watched.
        I thought I was a respected member of the community.
        Where has the RESPECT gone.

Let's add some fake laughter and Simpsons references in there?
        No respect for mine. Community spirit died with so called transition that THE COMMUNITY was not informed of in a timely or logical manner.
        One thing is for sure. The Jock Reynolds community is gone.
        Jock Reynolds does not exist. he is a Pseudo Just like Old Ocker.

• Finnius says:

settle right down Old Ocker – Jock wrote a yuge letter at the start of the year informing of his departure – obviously it was time to move on and I am grateful that these fellas are giving it a crack.

• SCdonkey says:

I feel the same way. Would've been better if Jock, Higgo and Crouching included the lads in their Podcasts to slowly ease them in to the community for the TRANSITION.

It's not much of a TRANSITION more of a takeover. No offense lads I'm sure you boys will get better in time.

64. Luke says:

Anyone sniffing around Aliir Aliir? 218k defence. I know this sounds crazy but there's talk of him possibly going into the ruck with Tippett leaving. Naismith, Sinclair and Cameron are there but Aliir said he had a bad year last year and a ruck role could be perfect for an 80-85 average

65. zed333 says:

Anyone keen on Kade Simpson? ANYONE?

• Pitch72 says:

Bloody oath zed man!, he's as durable as they come and in the absence of Docherty will score plenty, lock him in champ.

66. FearTheBeard says:

Gday Community!

Seeking some input on my current set up :

Laird, Hibberd, Sicily, Bonner, Doedee, Murray, Keefe, Murphy

Danger, Dusty, Titch, Fyfe, Bont, Jaeger, Dow, Kelly, Banfield, Worpel, Barry,

Gawn, Lycett, Cameron

Franklin, Heeney, Smith, Petracca, Christensen, Ahern, Fritsch, Ryan

Got 70k+ in the bank so can either upgrade a rookie to LDU.

My last switch was ditching Rockliff for Jaeger to upgrade a rookie to Bonner and the rest in bank…

Thoughts?

67. Marco_Polo94 says:

First post of the season and it's good to be back community. Sorry to read all the criticism Lek and Patch, I can't imagine how hard it must be to fill Jock's shoes in running this show. Take on the constructive criticism, ignore the haters, and keep tinkering. It'll take some time for you boys to find your feet and get the right balance in terms of stats and gags. Don't try so hard boys and be patient, I'm confident you can successfully lead us through this transition. Both statistical legends and always enjoyed reading your articles, so I have no doubt you'll find your voice on the podcast.

Onto SC though, what a horrible anus of a season 2017 was for me. After my most successful season ever in 2016 (top 30 real dream team, top 150 supercoach) I foolishly entered the 2017 campaign with optimism, hope, and way way way too much thinking that resulted in the fantasy gods SMITING the absolute shit out of me. Worst season ever since I got serious about this stuff.

So my plan this season is to relax. I'm not gonna do a thousand drafts, not gonna over-analyse anything, and not going to be changing my team the night before the season opener. I'm simply going to go with my gut.

A few enticing options that I've been reading about and looking at include Redden, Shuey, Hanley, McGrath, Devon smith and JOM. Particularly bullish on a WCE mid (as are a few other community members I've noticed), and while Shuey isn't a mid pricer he does have a high ceiling and I've always liked the cut of his jib.

Still very early for me to be locking anyone in or any structures in, but very excited for my (hopeful) redemption in 2018.

Until next time.

68. Marco_Polo94 says:

Well what a horrible anus of a season 2017 was for me. After my most successful season ever in 2016 (top 30 and 150 in real dream team and supercoach respectively), I entered the 2017 campaign with too much optimism and thinking that resulted in the fantasy gods smiting the absolute shit out of me.

2018 will see me thinking a lot less, and sticking with the gut more often. A few blokes on my radar atm include Redden, Shuey, Hanley and McGrath. I'm particularly bullish (like other community members) on a WCE mid, and while Shuey isn't a mid pricer he has a high ceiling and I've always liked the cut of his jib.

Looking forward to my (hopeful) redemption in 2018,

See you in the comments.