PODCAST: Supercoach Season Finale

AFL-SuperCoach-Season-Finale

A MEMORABLE 2017 SEASON DRAWS TO A CLOSE

Some of you will play off in Grand Finals this week. Others will strive for career best rankings. Extreme thanks to you, the community – for supporting us throughout the season.
Special thanks to Carlos, Barron Von Crow, LekDog and Patch for an outstanding season, some of the best blokes you’ll ever come across. Thanks also to the incredible folk who make this place tick in the comments.
TriggaHappy, SC Kev, Pieman, Frogger, Tophawk, SC Addict, Derek, Russty, Whatyasmokin, Stirlsy, Hedski, TopHawk, the legendary Old Ocker – all the blokes who contributed to the preseason reviews and to and all you other passionate champions in the comments we thank you.
Remember, Crouching One has packaged up a treasury of timeless SuperCoach children’s stories as a special gift for the community. Enjoy it with the kids here.

Enjoy this, the final podcast of the season folks!

THIS WEEK’S DRAFTSTARS ACTION

Season long fantasy footy is almost cooked – but the daily form of the game will be cranking every game right through until Grand Final Day folks.

Plenty to get your teeth stuck into this week:

RD23 ACADEMY CONTEST: ENTER HERE

* FREE contest with $100 prize pool. Excl. NSW & SA. 18+ gamble responsibly

RD23 GRADUATES $2 BUY-IN ENTER HERE

* $2 buy-in contest open to all states. Almost $400 additional prize money added to the buy-in pool.

BEAT BARRY

* FREE to play, if your team beats his you’ll share in $5000

Beat Barry

REMEMBER: FANTASY INSIDER LINEUP CRUNCHER CAN BE USED FOR FREE THIS WEEK!

Use the best DFS team building tool in Australia for FREE here

podcast_post

Tags: , ,

1. SC_Kev7 says:

Definitely would have gone a whole lot worse this year if it wasn't for community here and on Twitter. It has been a blast as always! Looking forward to tucking into some preseason research in a few months.

Cheers, Jock + crew xoxo

• Patch says:

You've been huge yourself mate – thanks so much for filling in while I was off for a few weeks coming to terms with how bad my team was. You were absolutely stellar to the point I was worried I wouldn't get the gig back!

• SC_Kev7 says:

A pleasure, Patch. If you need to rush off again to save the world in 2018 just drop me a line and I'll step up

2. frogger says:

Been a great ride this year and some sensational casting of the pod. Plenty of excellent advice dished out in the comments and podcasts.
    Good luck to anyone in with a sniff of grand final glory this week and I hope Wayno puts in a massive preseason and makes his return.

3. ChewyOnYa says:

What sideways trade do i make to finish mids for the granny?

already have danger, titch, dusty, murph, fyfe zerret, treloar bont and neale

$12,400 in the bank

Cheers

4. Stirlsy says:

I concur

5. The Ranger says:

Thanks Jock and crew, had a shithouse year on the pitch but the club rooms have been as good as ever.

Big shout to Pieman, Derek, Trigga, Hedski, Tophawk, Russty, SC Addict, Swans and everyone else for the banter and advice and best of luck to all those in finals.

6. Joshua says:

Beams or Kelly?

7. WightysWarriors says:

Came second in the first CK final…been downhill from there due to several stains, all of which could have been averted if I'd listen closer…….you know who you are HEATER and others. When do SC prices for 2018 come out….LOL !!!

8. Demons Delight says:

Been a really top year Jock except when you done me by 10 early on.The guys are just fantastic aren't they Without Lek Patch Carlos too many to name and the guys you mentioned Derek TophawkTrigg Pies Keen just too many and at some stage you have all helped me and one cannot forget SHAKE N BAKE with his wisdom .Thanks to you all and no need to remind coaches of Jocks magazine an absolute must and a ripper read on the dunny thanks mate my wife wonders what I do in there Congrats to all the finalists and the organisers for their leagues .The Winning Choice in Pauls no 1 cashy and Sugar Ray in Coreys LEAGUE well done to get there and may the best win thanks neil demons delight

9. Moosehead says:

Like Ranger above. Very thankful to the banter and in particular, thanks to Derek and Pieman. I am in 4/4 SC GF's and 2/2 DT GF's thanks to your sensible comments and advice. With my lifestyle commitments I do not have the time to follow footy like you guys.
    Thanks Jock and your boys too.
    Two queries Jock.
    1. Might it be worth considering introducing a female to your team. There seems to be more women playing SC and I was very fortunate to beat one lady last week who had a good team.
    2. The amount of abuse by cowardly keyboarders has been reduced but it would be wonderful to eliminate them altogether. There were anti Jewish tirades made recently which was sickening.
    I look forward to 2018.
    # In my humble opinion, SC gold is a rip off. Next year I am going to depend on Footywire.
    # I paid for your book Jock but never received it. Better luck for me next year.

• Moggies says:

Most so called female SuperCoaches are partners 2nd teams.
      Check the buy rounds top ten scorers, mostly females.

• Moosehead says:

Aha. I never thought of that. So, a form of cheating. No way I would/could do that. My wife hates SC. Gee, some SCers are desperate.

• sc tragic says:

All teams with lady coaches are not their partners 2nd teams. Under my own banner I am in 2 GFs was beaten in 3 PFs by less than 30 points. Read the book Jock and followed all comments on this site. Thanks guys. Go pies 2018 !!

10. neilhjenkins says:

already working on one review Heds Hope no one nails him Next year will only be better and bigger and as many will say not going to make same mistakes. Wish I had kept some trades back now I got to beat ripping blokes in grand finals with jelwoods what I would do for a trade just one cheers mate neil Demons Delight

• hedski says:

Good luck in the cash league granny against swans Neil, should be a ripper, my last trade was Pendles to Sloane, never been good at saving trades, this years carnage shown the importance of that, in the memory banks for next year. Better listen to the pod, cheers.

11. Bre Bushies says:

Thanks Boys and all your little helpers on the site and the Community – have made my 1st GF in 7 years – Probably thanks to all the advice, especially on the red nut Oliver who I got at start of season – ranked 2543 – happy with that … enjoy your break Boys and I'll hear you again next year
    Cheers

12. TRIGGA_HAPPY says:

Lads loved it. Ensconced in JR.
    Best community rocking SC!
    Thanks to all and hope i have been able help you as much as you have helped me.

Into one GF. The A graders. Yep A graders. made up of most of the JR Lads. One final push to try and stand on the top of the mountain Sunday night

Trigs Happy Place.
    Two monoliths will battle it out for the inaugural winner in the happy place.

SC Addict (has led from day dot and has one final hurdle to negotiate. When you see a comment from Addict sit up and take notice they dont call him SC Addict for nothing- he knows his stuff. Ranking in top 200 teams. A pure font of SC knowledge)

But will have his work cut out as he comes up against swans2012. Just like his swans in 2017 had a couple of stumbles early but has form and is coming home with a wet sail.

Gonna be epic.

Thanks Jock and Co and all the community for their pearls of wisdom and for the laughs.
    Makes you a bettter player every year.

Good luck to all.

Gone to my happy place back in a few ….

• Demons Delight says:

congrats to you both.Finished as minor prem in the league but came up against some class The league has them all Mo Derek Shake gator walks legend dion tommo yourself Couldn't make your fantastic league finals but maybe next year. Cant work it out TRIG last week 2025 this week 500 more doesn't make sense but made the grandie in pauls cashy no. 1 and also Coreys league so heres hoping but up against great sc,s. Thanks for giving me a chance to play against the best I rate the league the best and was very disappointed to miss out .Someone else I think it was the winning choice could be wrong like me rated the league the premier league as I do with pauls and A Graders all the best in the off season see you next year and WATCH OUT SON cheers neil Demons Delight

• hedski says:

Hope ya give Jay "sugar ray" Clark a flogging Neil.

• neildemons says:

that's a monumental task mate but you never know thanks

• Russty_ says:

Hey Neil, he's predicted to get 2500 this week, but everything has to go right for that, doubt it'll be a huge week like last week was, so hope you can kick his butt to the kerb mate.

• neil demons delight says:

its funny Russty two weeks back scored 2k but lucky I had a rest then with the same team knocked out 2500 GOING TO BE REAL TOUGH Coreys league is very underated been good for two years beat corey last week and he is a gun certainly better than me so there is hope.Couple of outs and a new ballgame ONE thing that's got me close is I have 14 dpp,s and that's a real advantage with premium outs thanks for your comments alwaysconstructive

• Russty_ says:

Cheers Neil, ditto mate, always enjoy your insights as well…and yes DPP's are important, I'm going for more next year, one mistake I made this year is not securing my Ruck DPP, had Soldo on the bench when it should've been Strndica.

• Rocksta says:

I hear ya Rusty. I have Soldo on the bench and if Goldy doesn't get up, I'm looking at a Donut in the GF as used my last trades last week.
                  Highly unlikely Soldon will get a Guernsey this week with Nank's great form last week one out.

• Russty_ says:

Jeez mate that's rough, hope the big fella passes his fitness test for ya..I just read him, Preuss and Larkey could all be out this week, just caps off their season really, fingers crossed for ya he makes it mate.

Yeah I don't like Soldo's chances either after last week, I reckon the Tigers need to let Nank be the man and not share duties, otherwise he just goes mediocre.

• neil demons delight says:

did the same still have him big mistake

• Swans2012 says:

it's definitely the toughest league I've been in this year Neil (looking forward to the cashy gf against you! I'm thewinningchoice by the way), I made a decision early on to focus a bit more on leagues this year (I'm hardline ranking only normally), and I guess it's paid off as I've made the cashy and trigs happy place gf's (there's been a fair bit of luck involved though). My ranking has dropped off a bit over the last month to 2k ish from a high in the top 1000 so definitely not my greatest season but respectable still…. can't wait to do it all again next year! Thanks for the opportunity again trig! Great league!!

• neil demons delight says:

yeah Jayden I did know your name and what an amazing year for you To even be playing you in the cashy G F is unreal out of my league but I will give it a red hot go champ. I dropped off also at the end mid 3ooo at one stage but happy and enjoyed it all Keep it in mind next year I would love the cashy runner up in my league A GRADERS .one point Jayden name changes make it difficult when selecting coaches for leagues I know I cancelled one of the top players who changed names and am really embarrassed trying to make A GRADERS the top league but TRIGGS the cashys from pies Legends Shake n bakes UP THERECAZALLY AND Coreys leagues are top competition wish I could say good luck but may we both enjoy it cheers mate neil Demons Delight

• Swans2012 says:

I think we'll both need luck Neil, I'm sure we'll converse some more over the weekend!! And would love an invite to a graders!

• Don't Blush Baby says:

Thanks Trig for inviting me into your league this year ,whilst I couldn't crack it for the top 8 I'm playing Jock in the Minor Premiership Final of which I'm stoked about

Cheers To All

13. Russty_ says:

Cheers Jock, Crouching, Higgo, Patch, Carlos, Lekdog and the Barron, thanks for all your articles, advice and laughs lads.
    It's been a bloody Rollercoaster this year, full of agony, ecstasy, blood sweat and carnage but I wouldn't have it any other way, so much fun:)
    Much thanks and gratitude to all the regular posting lads on here, your advice, humour, expertise and knowledge of the game are what make the JR Community a fun and informative place to hang out, so cheers boys and very best of luck to all of you who made your Grand Finals….give em hell this week fellas.

14. Big Sexy says:

Great Job boys for all your help this season!

Since I missed out on the finals could anyone point me in the direction of a meat pie and a VB?

Currently have 42,800 in the kitty with 0 trades so I'm thinking to make my own finals party this weekend.

15. Rick Grimes says:

Great work lads, your best season ever. This game can be bloody hard work sometimes, but the banter and sense of community makes it all worthwhile. Good luck to those still alive and let's hope there's no further additions to the "never again" list – running out of space.

16. Corey says:

Great Job Guys Thanks For the Help again Jock and the Community

17. Sugargum says:

Beams or Franklin for VC?

beams

• frogger says:

Other than JJK, think pretty much every KPF Jones has gone to has underperformed vs season avg. Would assume he'll get Franklin.
      Believe North gives up higher midfield scores than any other team and Beams has been raping and pillaging as is.
      On that basis, Beams for mine unless you really need to take a Hail Mary.

18. TRIGGA_HAPPY says:

Yeah was just the craziest week last week Shakers.

Was also in 6 prelims lost 3 by less than 10 pts, and 2 by 150 plus pts.

Bat shite crazy.
    Harder to pick than a broken nose.

19. INPieman says:

Thanks once again Jock Higgo & Crouching. Tremendous entertainment & wisdom as always. Shocking season for me. It's Supercoach WTF to reflect upon & move forward with new knowledge. The one enormous positive I can take from this season is my young fella Benjamin. He's obliterated me & almost all in the rankings. He was knocked out of his league last week despite a huge score. And he was in tears. His selections against mine are easy to dissect. He picked young guns all the time from start to finish. He also has an absolute fascination in the game already & especially statistics & numbers. And this is an interest since he started following my Supercoach movements 2 years ago & giving me captaincy advice last year. This is his debut season & got the keys to his own team. Last Friday I got his NAPLAN results from school & he's now ranked off the charts for Maths. Literally off the charts. And there can be no doubt whatsoever the great game has been a massive contributor in this unbelievable improvement. He made some over confident trades that failed badly. But who doesn't. I guess in the end he taught me lessons. Back the youth in. Best of luck for 2018

• 2018 says:

Great Work Ben Great debut. Good luck INPieman and Ben for 2018

• neil demons delight says:

wondering how he went we all learnt a lot Pies

• Rick Grimes says:

That's a nice story IMP. The force is clearly strong in young Ben. It's a great game for youngsters around learning to interpret stats and understand price movements. Also, as a lot of us experience, learning to take those swift kicks to the nuts when our best laid plans turn to dust!!

20. Danners says:

A great season ending podcast lads! Thanks Jock, Higgo, Crouching, Patch, Barron, Lek, Patch and Carlos for the hard hours you all put in to get podcasts and articles out. Also thank you community, I see a lot of new faces around here and its good to see a lot of discussion going around. Probably my worst season in a long time mostly due to bad trades and just not having enough time for research these days.
    Good luck to all in GFs this weekend and hopefully the 2018 Supercoach season will better for us all.

• neil demons delight says:

Its been more of a frustrating season than most Danners but from my point the most enjoyable.The competition has got a lot more knowledgeable and this makes for a better game. I am retired now and spend a massive amount of time researching. It has paid off with the rookies but not the premium players That's where I have to get better no more Treloars should have seen his disposal was rubbish and he was not an orphan also the ability to preserve trades got to get better but mate I LOVE IT CHEERS have a great break

21. neil demons delight says:

just interested Shake I used 2 trades each week to the byes that's 22 how many did you use Reason is did I use too many .I ended up with a great team but others had used maybe 6 or 7 less thanks just trying to beat you next year mate have a good break look forward to renew the battle cheers neil

22. TOPHAWK1 says:

Fantastic end of season podcast guys! Your brilliant coaching insights, (Jock, Higgo, Patch, Lek, the Barron, and Carlos) with humour too boot (CROUCHING ONE- you seriously make me laugh and Patch you deserve a mention AGAIN as the Panic room made for entertaining, but crucial reading! )

The 2017 SC season was one of the toughest I can remember. The rookies were sparse, (I am looking at you Harley Balic!) the injuries were everywhere, (I am looking at you Max Gawn!) suspensions galore, (I am looking at you Tobias Greene!), coaches playing cat and mouse, (I'm looking at you Rossco!) and premos we loved turned into duds. (I'm looking at you Heater Shaw!)

After tasting defeat in all major prelims last week, I still can look forward to playing in one grand final. In the bottom half of "The first to go Woo" league. Bring it on Hedski! It's time to reflect on 2017, enjoy the round, and have a few tinnies.

See you all in 2018.

I'LL BE BACK.

Tophawk

• Russty_ says:

Great stuff Hawker, good to hear you've still got something to look forward to this week mate, bummer you didn't get over the line in the most excellent Pine Lodge League lol was looking forward to locking horns with you in the GF, but not meant to be this year.

Next year for me…

Stick with the youth,
      Save a da trades,
      Don't be too hasty to trade out injuries or out of form players,
      Plenty of DPP's on all lines.

Cheers mate :)

• gator59 says:

Great stuff Toppa and Russty .. Hope you both go well

• Russty_ says:

Hey Gator, same to you mate, you still in it with a sniff mate?
          Go saints this week…hope the impossible happens and everything falls into place for us to make the 8, it's a long shot but possible, hopefully they can do it for St Nick…the Champ.

• gator59 says:

Yeah Russty we certainly have our backs against the wall..

If we don't make it and with some good recruiting over the trade period we might make a few sides quiver in there boots

• Russty_ says:

Yeah I'm hoping for a big year from the Saints next year Gator, some of our younger blokes are really starting to step up, exciting times ahead :)

• neil demons delight says:

Steele was good very good and Kelly would top it off. Both rucks did well too. yeah I reckon sainters are on track

• hedski says:

Ha ha, didn't make it TH, looks like your up against Kev, good luck mate.

• SC_Kev7 says:

Should be a tight one, TH. I got up by 40 in the regular season. If Neale doesn't get up this week we'll have only 9 different players

23. gator59 says:

I would also like to thank Jock ,Higgo , Crouching and major crew on a fantastic year full of laughs and wonderful insight on how to go about this caper of SC…Also to all participants in all of the leagues i participated in.. I am very humble to say that the bigger leagues i was in even though i didn't get the choccies,, Leagues like Triggas, A Graders,Guns and Rookies, Coreys and Piemans 2nd cash league and other good ones,, I fought hard but a couple of silly trades at the start of the season which i think most of us can own up to and decimating injuries that bowled us over..

A big thanks MUST go out to all the wonderful regular contributers and insight on this fantastic site except the few dickhead trollers that get in here..

There are so many GREAT super coachers that give all their knowledge and insight to help others and i for one truly appreciate..

I hope i can be in such esteemed company again in 2018
    Cheers and thanks again to all..
    Gator,, over and out

• neil demons delight says:

all great leagues gator I am in them also and tremble when meeting yourself but that's what it,s about good competition. Silly trades is the no. one Cant help injuries and the byes luckily I nailed that won all 3 but you have to put time into .them early I thought the key to the byes was the early game Port and G.C.. I am thinking 700 was too much for DANGER and in hindsight a late trade would have been smart Got stuck with Jellwood and now rely on DPP,s to cover when I could have a Duncan there. too many could haves have a great off season gator see you next year to revive the battles cheers neil demon delights

• gator59 says:

Thanks Neil for the kind words.. I hope you kick some ass this week so you have a little gloat about your efforts … I'm sure your stubborness on not locking the Doch at start of season cost you some what in some of your battles and you may have to pay the big bucks next year to secure him…… I myself love locking horns with you and all the other GREAT super coaches and may it continue for many seasons to come… I think this was my 4th season at this caper and wow i have come a long way and it's all got to do with guys like your self and ALL and i mean ALL the GREAT ones on this sight that contribute on a regular daily basis..

Hoping we can all lift to greater heights next season… So make sure you kick this so called Sugar Ray's ass this week
        I sure will be cheering for you mate!!

• neil demons delight says:

yeah stubbiness with Doc cost both Derek and myself locked in with Hibberd already in def Another poor choice was Rance Never mind trying hard to do Jay Clark sugar ray but tough gig that and Jayden in Pauls no 1 cashy also real hard SEE YOU 2018 CHEERS

24. Smote says:

Plenty of wiser heads than mine congregate here and I also want to say thanks to every contributor in this community that helps make SC such an enjoyable experience.

Love the podcasts. My ribs feel like they've been on the receiving end of a Crouching fly kick. Thanks to Jock and the boys. May you saddle up for many a season to come.

Off topic….did anybody do the SC survey?

FWIW…my 2 bobs worth…Either:

A) Increase number of trades…I suggested by 2.
    Or
    B) Add extra $$$ to the kitty and increase the subs bench by 2…1 each across the fwd/def line.

Thoughts?
    A)No. Sacrilege…blasphemer….leave it alone!
    B) Yes. some subtle changes are needed as game is so quick…more injuries…MRP is too inconsistent…some on the ball footy collisions without malice earn a suspension now….etc etc.
    Feedback appreciated. Cheers.

• Russty_ says:

Hey smote, Yeah I did the survey, I would like to see 2 extra trades there, but won't be too heartbroken if they don't, I don't mind just the 2 Emergencies on the fwd and back lines, I'd actually like it back the way it was before they changed it with 2 E's on all lines. 3 in the midfied isn't really necessary in my opinion and an extra ruck would've been handy this year….then we could've had a non dpp but possibly playing one, and a dpp for loopholing purposes.

It also looks like they're looking at the possibility of just making it one charge for Supercoach Gold and the Herald Sun Subscription in one, rather than charging $20 for Gold and $28 a month for the articles etc. I suggested the $49.95 charge, hope they go with that.

I'd also like to see a rule where if one of your players goes down within the first 5 minutes of the game, you can still sub them with the E on that line. Their score whatever they got would be wiped off the total, that'd be penalty enough I reckon rather than having to cop a 5 or whatever.

Cheers mate.

• Smote says:

Sensible stuff Russty.
        The extra sub for ruck instead of more fwd/def subs is a winner which I didn't consider before.
        Cheers for your feedback.

• neil demons delight says:

Sorry Smote but A for mine leave it 30 trades is plenty and kitty ok too but I do like Rustys 2 ideas 1.when a player goes down early jellwood and Lloyd are two I think that is unfair give us the E and 2 second ruck makes sense too cheers neil

• Smote says:

Hey Neil.
        No worries mate just testing the waters out there.
        Its good to read that folks are more or less happy with the status quo. Means I got to lift my game!
        And hold an injured premo & cop the odd donut instead of trading around injuries.

• neil demons delight says:

every week there is a flavour of the day Hannan Houston berry THE TRICK IS researching them and getting it right best of luck

• Moosehead says:

Leave the game and SC alone. Every year there is an AFL reaction to whinging thus another rule change. I like AFL over soccer but one of the great things about soccer is they leave the game alone (And have one umpire)
      and therefore it is easier to control. Our great game is becoming very difficult to umpire because there are too many rules and now we have four umpires – stupid.
      Every year I write about how the game is getting faster, the players stronger increasing the momentum = more injuries yet anxious SCers still become trigger happy. Don't panic and use your 30 trades sensibly. I am not high in the rankings but am in several GF's because I had trades.

• Smote says:

Cheers Moosehead,
        You nailed it with the trigger happy comments.
        Still mystifies me how disciplined some folks are with their trades.
        Good luck in your GFs.

• redherringfc says:

My only suggestion on the survey was that from the bye rounds you can make three trades per week.

I think 30 trades is enough. Next year my goal is to hit the finals with at least 6 trades.

• JohndJames says:

Hi Smote,I wouldn't mind an extra three trades,even though I still have two left,but I doubt they will change it,an extra Ruck,like Russty suggested is a good idea,the others can just stay the same.Also having had three players go down in the first few minutes of a game, Lloyd R10 for 4pts,Beams R14 for 12pts and Sandy R15 for 12pts,I totally agree with Russty about being able to use the E in those circumstances.

25. Rick Grimes says:

I know there's a changing of guards. But if Beams has a full pre-season, surely he has to be a lock. Is a SC beast when fully fit. Putting up Danger-like numbers and should still be reasonably priced.

• Tibor says:

He's definitely on the first shortlist for 2018 along with the big bearded man if he gets a good pre season. What does an eagles midfield look like post Mitchell and Priddis?..

Early priority updating the flog list……

Clearly need a spell

• INPieman says:

Beams has looked back to his best Rick. And hits the scoreboard. But he comes with so much injury risk

• JohndJames says:

I've had him from the start,happy I stuck with him.just put him on the bench till he came back,I was mainly trying to conserve trades.

26. Big G says:

Does anyone know how lachie Neale is looking for this week?

27. Swans2012 says:

Ok anyone got any new favourite Supercoach team names,
    My favourite for the second year running is "barbecues treloar", particularly because he barbecued the early part of my season….

28. Thomas says:

I know this has no doubt been posted before, but would like to know what you guys have learnt from the year.
    As for myself, after hearing that mid pricers usually dont work, i went in guns n rookies which left me behind early, despite the fact i picked most of the good rookies. I didn't do enough research into the mid pricers available and missed guys like Oliver, Steele, Nank along with others. I also went too hard with trades, getting to full premo too fast, leading me to still be playing a few rookies the last few weeks.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts!

• Loco lad says:

I went three mids that didn't work out but I noticed a couple did so it is a luck think. I didn't go too hard on becoming full premo too early and that is why I am in a few GF's. Had plenty of trades when Selwood, Kennedy etc and Grundy was suspended. (Still disappointed with 2 instead of 1 week) I laugh at the 'Advice' given by the experts about getting to full premo. Seriously. How many SCers really think they can win $50K? Aim for league wins especially the $ leagues and save your trades is my advise esp to newish SCers.

• Russty_ says:

I think "full premo" is a relative term, according to that particular team's coach, a lot of Supercoaches do think they can with the 50k, that's why they play, I don't really understand why you find it so laughable that guys consider getting to full premo important…and scoff at their adviCe.
        That might be something someone would say if they were right up there in the rankings, which I doubt you are.
        P.S, you might only be in a few grand finals because you're in some shitty leagues, cheers!

• neil demons delight says:

the 250 -450 players imo will be keys next year and Loco is correct trades are the key to it I ran out when jpk and selwood went down and suffered and when you consider I got Newman 3 times and traded him a week later crazy crazy I was lucky to get Nank and Oliver but could easily have been JOM and Swallow research and more research is the go Selection of premiums also is vital Next year I will start with no more than 4 prem mids danger tich oliver andm crouch cheers

• The Ranger says:

If this season has taught me anything it is that no two seasons are the same so despite the mid priced team working well this year I don't think it necessarily means that G'n'R won't be a better option next year.
      Next year I'll be less strategy based and more focused on value.

• SC_Kev7 says:

It's actually really rare that so many midprice selections work out. I feel some will overcorrect next year and go a bit midprice mad. There was enough into on the site about rookies, I can't recall one that was missed, just the rookies were poor and were slow in generating cash.

I'm happy with the amount of preseason research I did, my year just didn't work out. Luck of the draw really. I think my big lesson from the year was I took in a strategy of trading aggressively and staying away from guys who showed form but had a speculative or poor SC-history (coughYeocough). Aggressive trading worked out well for the winner last year but this season was different. Being able to adapt and recognise when a player is playing well (maturity, role change etc) is something I'll try to do next year

• CapTkAos says:

I slacked off with pre-season research this year and paid the price. I'm generally a guns and rookie type selector. A couple of the guns I picked had interrupted pre-seasons which I wasn't aware of. They didn't hit round 1 ready to deliver, and I was playing catch up from then on.

• redherringfc says:

I learnt that my timing is excisite.

I bought Sloane at his peak price, held him through all of his woeful games and then sold him for a 200k loss the week that he pumps out a 150 odd.

• Russty_ says:

Hahah, you were being sarcastic!…Sloane has been a nightmare for peeps who stuck with him as long as they could and then had to offload him, and then he delivers…thanks chump Sloane!

• Russty_ says:

Hey Thomas, I learned that when you decide to trade a guy like Pederson in cause he was doing so well, maybe hang on a few more weeks to see if he gets back in after he gets dropped, I wish I had now.

Don't ever trade Jaeger O'Meara into your team…period…the guy's a trainwreck.

Lock the Doch, from the start.

Don't necessarily trade Danger in from the start.

Dusty always has a flat patch and ends up under 500K,,,trade him in then. I didn't do it at all.

Should've started with Tom Mitchell but didn't.

Should've listened to my gut and traded in Hurley early, didn't end up doing it.

Should've always had a Ruck DPP with Strndica instead of Soldo.

• Derek says:

tried to fit too many "keepers" into my original starting team.

started with 12 Keepers (same as other years)

of those 12, finished the season with only 6 (trelor, fyfe, pendlebury, gawn, cyril, Selwood – all traded out).

Starting with too many keepers lead to a couple of issues.

1) what if those keepers weren't any good? Hannaberry, Shaw etc Might have been good in the past but not any more, could have a different role.

2) not nimble enough to jump on a breakout player. usually have the rest of the team as rookies to generate cash, so can't sell them, and can't sell a keeper, so when a Oliver, Kelly, Yeo, Robertson, Howe, Heeney, Witts, jumps out of the pack early in the season, can't get them.

3) if a keeper gets injured or suspended, the decision to hold or trade is amplified because having so much cash on bench will hurt.

4) having so many keepers, means an overload of rookies to balance out the salary cap. means that we have to rely on on-field rookies to score points. Berry, SPP, Stewart, hampton, parsons, simpkin… all scored less than 30 points when i had them on field.

5) nearly all "keepers" will drop in price at some point during the year and in many cases their starting price is their most expensive.

29. Graven Icon says:

Anyone got an opinion on VC and C issues this week? At this stage I have only two players not playing which reduces my E loopholing but more importantly my C loophole.
    At this stage I am going Mitchell VC into Danger C but tempted to make Martin C if Titch has an off day.
    Also have Fyfe, Merrett, Kelly, Oliver and Treloar. Don't want to risk a non midfielder and I don't have Doc.

• SC_Kev7 says:

Dusty has only cracked the ton once from his 10 games v Saints.

I like Merrett v Freo. If your opponent C's Danger you can match him or take a risk on Merrett depending on how close the matchup is

• Graven Icon says:

Thanks Kev. Wouldn't touch Merrett in a fit. He has lost $117K and his last 3 has averaged 85. Now considering Fyfe because Worsfold doesn't tag.

• SC_Kev7 says:

Fair call, GI. Zerrett a handy record v Freo, but yeah, you're right, he's limping over the finish line. Fyfe been much better after the bye

30. Graven Icon says:

There might be a late out? A trade is valuable.

31. Savager says:

Will Adams get up this week with his eye/concussion issue?

32. Ben Dover says:

Another season shot to bits sadly. But as the mighty Crouching could have always said ……………….he who laughs last just doesn't drink quickly enough.

33. neil demons delight says:

THE WINNING CHOICE Jayden I replied to your early post good luck for the cashy but not too much cheers neil demons delight

34. TheGreatBozza says:

Thanks to the fellas at Jock Reynolds and to the whole community for a ripper season. I've found myself into my number 1 cash league grand final with all your help

35. Northernsoul74 says:

Hurley to miss again.

36. INPieman says:

Love it Trig! Party Pie. Brilliant! His only large blunder was trading Pendles to Rupert Wills thinking he would take his role & pocket some cash. He scored 50 & got injured. Happens to the best of us anyway. Most of his other trades were rock solid. The Jock webinar would be awesome

37. John says:

Awesome season guys – it's sad it's coming to an end but I look forward to a pre season of fantasy football study whilst I await next years pod casts. Love all your work – Jock, crouching one, higgo, BVC, Lekdog, Parch, Carl and Mick the Mad Irishman (even with just your cameo) I thank you all for making it so much fun this year!

38. FinalsBound says:

1. Who do i trade Hurley to? (already have Doc, Hibberd, Lloyd, Laird, Adams, Witho)

2. Who do i start on the bench then take off if they do well with my midfield loophole? (have treloar, bont, zerret, neale, murphy)

Cheers for all the help boys

• Gravitator says:

For your sake, I hope Adams is ok and plays.

• Limbo rocker says:

Adams will play despite Russty's pessimism.

• Russty_ says:

I wasn't being pessimistic, I was stating a fact as to the way concussion protocols have played out this season, the majority who had copped a head knock this year were rested the next week.
          I have Adams, I want him to play as much as anyone.

• Rick Grimes says:

Is Neale playing, touch and go isn't he? Treloar for me. As for Hurley trade, how about a speculator on Pittard or McGovern.

39. GloryDays90 says:

Thanks for all the help guys!
    Had my best Supercoach year so far thanks to you guys!

Anyone that made GFs on the weekend goodluck :)

Finally CMON the CROWS!

See you all next season!!!

Glory Days out..

40. Tjd says:

Cheers guys hope to see you back next year!

41. Limbo rocker says:

I have read a great deal of banter about SC tactics. There has been some 'Advice' given by others and this is my spin on things which may be of assistance to novice Supercoachers.
    Pick your best team and if you have researched and guessed correctly and are lucky and score well early then go for ratings. However, if after 2-3 weeks things haven't worked out then go for league wins by conserving trades and and in my humble opinion, that is the way 90% of us should go. It is crazy to go for full premium too early because invariably you will run out of trades and therefore will not make your GF. Each week during the year we are encouraged to go bang, bang.
    I am not the best Supercoacher but I am happy and looking forward to my GF's. I am rated in the 7,000's but I am in 3 out of 4 GF's being beaten by someone who scored 2,677. This week I have one trade left, using two trades, two weeks ago to finally achieve full premium.
    My opinion only and not the law, simply giving my view.
    Good luck to everyone because that aspect is so important no matter how much research you do.

• neil demons delight says:

Its a tough call that 90% of us should play for leagues Limbo. I am more in Defying Madness court and believe most serious coaches areThe first step is top 1% THEN TOP 1000 then top 100. Leagues are fun and good banter but I want to test my ability in rank . Have to disagree also with gone after 3 weeks after all most good sc,s would be under 500 off the mark easy peasy to catch up Its all opinion anyway Luck plays an almighty part in our game cheers neil demons delight and good luck to all

• Derek says:

fair call. This year i really challenged myself and was in some leagues with elite coaches. had a bad start and was therefore having to chase wins to stay in contact. next year i'll make sure i'm in some crappy leagues ;)

• Rick Grimes says:

I predominantly play for rank. The real glory is playing with the big boys at the top. And for me the enjoyment comes in trading and getting to full premium. There is a fine line where you can go for broke early on yet still keep enough trades for the back end. It requires almost perfect trading and a ton of luck.

• Limbo rocker says:

Also, I don't have the time to reasearch as much as some of you guys who take it far more seriously than me, and good luck to you if you have the time and inclination.
        Titch VC and Danger C? Of the best midfielders, and I believe I have the 8 of the better ones, who WON'T be tagged. Unfortunately I can't use Kelly against Cats. That's the luck of the draw. If I had Beams I'd be tempted but traded him when he did his quad.
        I will invest in Jocks magazine next year.
        Good fortune everyone except my opponents, especially those two in the money leagues. Hee, hee.

42. Defying_Madness says:

Thanks for the great year community, a tonne of laughs and lots to be learnt from this season. I for one wouldn't be ranked in the top 1000 if it wasn't for the great advice received in the comments week in week out. Looking forward to an interesting preseason and the changing of the guard next year.

Cheers Jock, Higgo, Crouching and the rest of the community for an amazing year.

43. red5 says:

Mitchell or Danger for VC?

• Rick Grimes says:

Danger. Always Danger.

• Lintel says:

What's wrong with Mitchell VC and Danger C?
        That will be the call by the majority of SCers this weekend. Personally, I have a problem having only two non players so I must VC early so I can loophole.

44. Rick Grimes says:

I'd say my best pick was going in with T Mitchell and the Namkilands / Witts trifecta. Lloyd was a good initial selection til he stuffed himself.

Worst picks would be going in with Hrovat and Swallow. Trading out Newman before he went wooshka and trading our Fyfe the week before he went on to average 120….

• The Ranger says:

Not starting TMitch has haunted me all season Rick, he was in my team throughout the preseason and then at the last minute I swapped him for Hanners thinking that Hanners had the runs on the board and would be a safer bet. I remember thinking that with TMitch not at the Swans Hanners might actually average more as I thought he would get more time on the inside.
      It all made sense at the time…
      I finally brought him in last week with my last trade and he promptly got me into a GF.
      He'll be my third pick next year after Danger and Doch.

• neil demons delight says:

similar to mine Rick I was lucky snare tich the 3 rucks Lloyd and oliver also had newman 3 times rance and treloar shudder

45. pieinghigh says:

Sitting at 11570, goal was to make top 10,000 and win my main league.

I am in the GF in both my leagues and have been building nicely.

I think the main lesson I take out of this year is not to start with too many "premiums". Guys like Handonberry, Treloar, Heath Shaw I should have gone bang bang you Sh*t get out my team months ago.

Happy with my overall trade ins and decisions. I think next year I won't follow the crowd and will give some of these old fellas a run – as long as they are priced appropriately..

Heath Shaw looking at you mate, sub $400k you're worth a look. Pendles at 530k might be worth a look as well..

Best of luck to those in grandfinals, unless you're playing me, it's been fun.

Till February 2018

– Pieinghigh

46. Big G says:

I am saying a few Hail Mary's that Neale plays.

47. JohndJames says:

Looking back over the year,my best starting player would have to be Clayton Oliver,had him down even before I got Jock's magazine.My worst starting player was Treloar,mainly because he drove me mad.My best trade was Shaw to Adams in R3,no explaining needed.My worst trade was Matt Crouch to Bont also in R3,thought it might be too risky holding both Oliver and Crouch and Bont was a premo.I give myself a grade of A since I have gone from a 24552 ranking last year to currently being 1905 and being in six GF out of my eight leagues. The main thing I will be trying to do next year is to get the premos right at the start.Being my first year on this site I have found it very interesting to see what other players are thinking and doing[don't think,do]and found it very helpful being part of the community instead of by myself.

48. neil demons delight says:

Oliver has been very good but one other dee to keep in mind is neale =bullen could be a very good mid pricer. Getting the premos right is a key At this early stage I see 5 must have mids Danger Oliver M crouch Fyfe and Tich plus 2 def 2 rucks and mcrae have I got it right

• WightysWarriors says:

Jwood and Dusty for Oliver and Crouch for mine. If I could only pick five.

• JohndJames says:

Looks good to me Neil,you could even add Beams to that midfield if he is at the right price.In def I would be getting Doc and Hibberd and in the Rucks probably Ryder if he keeps his Ruck/Fwd rating as for the Fwds ,Buddy,Heeney and Macrae will be on the watchlist.

• neil demons delight says:

yep I was tossing up with him definetely next Spot on with def Ryder and MCrae not to bad the other player locked in is Gawn so you nailed it except Maxy well done still the GF in cashy and COREYS LEAGUE left and of course the MIGHTY DEES GO DEES CHEERS j j

49. Wade says:

Bring back wayno next year fellas. I miss his wise words

50. Wattsieesq says:

Thanks so much to Jock, Higgo and Crouching for an amazing year. It's been a turd of a season, but your banter and advice has been brilliant.

I've got Higgo in on of my league GF's, so good luck mate.

51. Derek says:

see ya fellas, thanks fellas, that's all fellas.

• neil demons delight says:

Thanks for your views this year for me in particular was pre season I must admit , though it didn't work, your idea on m7 had me thinking .Always ripping contests looking forward to next year mate

• Russty_ says:

Cheers Derek, thanks for all your thoughts and insights mate, catch you next time around. Have a good Summer.

• Moosehead says:

I always look fwd to your views Derek. Thanks for all you have done to help me me. In a few Grannies so ya.

52. Moosehead says:

Derek. What happened to Sarah this year?

53. Don't Blush Baby says:

Hanners out, ouch on some coaches with no real cover

• Rocksta says:

Tell me about it. I haven't got any trades left so will have to rely on either Glass, or Grimes via DPP swing ( Adams into the guts) if Glass bombs as cover. Other than that, full Premo but my opponent has a strong team and trades left.
      It will most likely cost me the Granny.

54. Swans2012 says:

I've been a bit buddy unlucky a few times as well lol
    glad I've locked a place in next year!
    Hoping the bloods push through, though I feel we have spent a lot of tickets during the year…..

55. Spanky says:

Like most above, thanks for all the help this season. Only found this site this year (where was I right?) and it's no coincidence my rank came in from the high teens to under 3000. Thanks again and watch out for the Buckley's Pies next year!

56. Dan says:

Cheers boys for all the great advice this year. Wouldnt have made it to the granny without all the help.

I'm up against a pretty strong team. Some of their players include Sloane, Zorko and Kelly, all of which I don't have. I have two trades left with 33.5k in the bank. My team is below;

DEF: Dcherty, Adams, Hibberd, Laird, Shaw, Lloyd (Witherden, Hibbered (North))
    MID: Dangerfield, Martin, Mitchell, Fyfe, Murphy, Bont, Treloar, Merrett (Greenwood, GLass, Brown)
    RUCK: Kreuzer, Gawn (Strnadica)
    FWD: Macrae, Ryder, Billings, Heeney, Yeo, Dahlhaus (Young, Eddy)

Not sure what I should do. Could trade out an underperforming mid like Bont for Kelly or Zorko to try and negate one of his scores or could go a for a pod. Any advice would be great.

Cheers

57. harry feinauer says:

BEAMS….ZORKO…..ROCKLIFFE…..im sick of these THREE PRICKS! There in at least if not more half the teams im against this week:-)

58. Kurt says:

Hey i need help deciding who to trade in for greenwood,
    I already got
    P. Ryder
    I. Heeney
    L. Franklin
    C. Dixon
    T. Nankeris,
    Help please, any suggestions

59. Dan says:

Whats the chances of Sloane going big this week? The bloke im playing in the granny has him so thinking of sideways trading Treloar or Murphy to negate a potential big score from Sloan. Cheers