Round 17 Supercoach Panic Room

PanicRoomRd17

For the first season I can remember, I’ve been defeated.

Scrolling through my leagues, trying desperately hard not to look at Supercoach’s Home panel to see my current rank, I haven’t quite thrown the towel in yes. But as I look across at my hand, I see the towel slipping, weighed down by the weight of stupid trades and bad decisions, and I know whether I throw the stupid thing in or not is irrelevant.

The towel is done. I am done. Bottom of the ladder, sliding down the rankings. And I know thousands of you out there are feeling the same. So, this week on the Panic Room, we’re celebrating mediocrity. We’re here for the battlers and the losers, those that have just had a shocking year.

So scooch in children, nestle up to Mother Patch’s bosom, and tell me of your woes.

But first, the news.

THE NEWS

Let’s get the (surprisingly boring and banal) news for the week out of the way.

First up – Paddy Cripps will miss the rest of the season after some drongo kicked his leg and it broke. Channel 7 played the vision some six hundred times from every angle, and safe to say it’s broken, it looks nasty and please for the love of god stop replaying it. Trade him, and the Channel 7 footy department.

The rest of the ‘bad’ news this week is a few rookies no-one has have been flicked. Geelong boys Wylie Buzza and Zac Guthrie have both been dropped, as has Carlton’s Harrison Macreadie and GWS’s Daniel Lloyd and Sam Reid. Oliver Florent  has also been dropped. And… that’s about it. I’m very concerned and am advising everyone to hold onto your hats for next week.

In the good news column, the GOAT, Gary Ablett Jnr is back, although subject to a fitness test, and in joyous news for owners, Josh J Kennedy is ALIVE and BACK! Finally! For those who have held him for what feels like 3 years, he can gracefully slide into your forward lines and continue scoring 60s one week and 160s the next.

Additionally, the other Josh Kennedy, (of the Special K variety, pictured below) is back. Give him a big old smooch as he lines back up for us this week.

PanicRd17Image1.png

Down the road, the Butcher of Blacktown, Toby Greene, returns for the Giants this week after a prolonged absence, as do his partners in crime Zac Williams and Stevie J, while down at the Cattery tackling machine Scott Selwood returns.

If it’s somehow relevant to you, Bob Murphy is also back but I mean, like, really?

Hugh Greenwood is back after his rest, and we’ve got a few more members of the Funny Names Club, with Josh ‘[generic war pun]’ Battle, Cam ‘Don’t Mess With The’ Zurhaar and Lewis *gasp* ‘My Name Isn’t Funny On It’s Own But When You Realise I’m The Youngest Player On An AFL List It Becomes Mildly Amusing’ Young *release breath* all debuting this week.

THE STITCH UP

Scootch in now, children. I said scootch! PanicRd17Image2.png Something slightly different on the Patch Up this week, where instead of patching up our sides, we’re going to be looking at the dumbest trades and decisions we’ve made this year. As the benevolent overlord who somehow stormed to power in a bloodless coup guy who writes the thing, I’ll get the ball rolling.

I started with JPK, Priddis and Treloar over Pendlebury, Sloane and Zach Merrett.

I started with one premo in the forward line to accompany Nick Reiwoldt, who I traded out in round 2 and back in after his 170 in round 3, to endure 13 weeks with two tons. Accompanying him in the forward line were Shaun Higgins, Jarryd Roughead and a bunch of rookies. Mitch Hannan has been the most consistent member of my forward line this year and I only traded him out Last. Week.

I brought Tex Walker in at 480k, only to subsequently lose my cash, my points and my dignity.

I traded in Jarrod bloody Harbow to cover the byes only to trade him out two weeks later in disgust at his drink-driving suspension.

I traded Ben McEvoy in because I’m dumb.

I accidentally brought Jeremy Howe in instead of Taylor Adams.

I broke both Scott Pendlebury and The Bont by trading them in and having the arse fall out of them.

I was overseas for five weeks from rounds 3-8 and spend 6 trades too many completely ruining any chance of cash generation.

That’s the start, but I’m going to throw it to the community, who I asked to hit me up in the comments to the podcast. We cross live now to these screenshots directly below this text… which is exactly how live crosses work. PanicRd17Image3

Both of these hurt, and although I love Higgo like the son I never had, Higgo’s comment hurts more because he’s ranked 1800th and I will never come close to achieving the mental capacity of that gigantic brain of his, at least it’s nice to know even he makes mistakes.

PanicRd17Image4 As someone who also didn’t start with Docherty, PREACH IT, Seeker. Kev has also hit a nail on the head with Nic Newman, who can go and get stuffed. Not only did I flick him from my classic side, I flicked him from a keeper league to avoid a donut only for him to score 151 and be on everyone’s radar for next week…

So hit us up in the comments community. Bring your fine vintages of bottled rage, your trapped angst, and let it all out. Let’s have a good old moan, because what is The Internet for if not for moaning about things?

THE PATCH UP

There are some of us who don’t have time for bitching and moaning, because there’s SUPERCOACH TO WIN! And I’m going to be looking at a head to head of two players I’ve been asked to compare endlessly this week: Joel Selwood and Dayne Zorko.

To the untrained Supercoacher, this may seem like an open and shut case – Selwood is 130k cheaper, a champion of the game and just the right option, yeah? I mean sure Zorko’s coming off a 196 but come on, man.

I mean Selwood’s averaging 113 if you take the knock to the head out and subsequent 3 of the equation, has eight scores of 120+ this year including two 150+, and has 3 more games at Skilled Stadium, where he averages 115. He’s only owned by 12% of teams and even though everyone’s bringing him in this week, you gotta too, right?

Well. Any other year, I’d agree with you, but 2017 is having none of your sh*t. Not even a little bit.

Zorko the Magnificent is averaging 116, including 127 over his last five games. He has 4 games left at the Gabba, where he averages 112, and plays Richmond, Carlton and West Coast (away) before storming home in Supercoach finals against the Dogs, Gold Coast, Melbourne and North.

I know you should trust SC gold projections as far as you can throw literal pieces of code (which is zero distance as you can’t, because they’re not physical things), but he’s not projected to drop below a 127 in his final seven games. The guy just scored 196 in a side that lost by 12 goals.

Although I may have just jinxed him.

HEY NOW YOU’RE A DRAFTSTAR

You know what we won’t be moaning about? Daily Fantasy Footy. This week we’ve got the Dogs and – once again – Lekdog’s boys in Carlton.

The big decision here surrounds which – or how many – of Carlton’s Big 3 to select. The big three being Sam Docherty, Matt Kruezer and Kade Simpson, and with The Doch accounting for nearly 20% of the starting 100k budget, that’s not an easy question.

As many did in Higgo’s post yesterday, I agree that Kruezer is a lock in a Bulldogs side without a recognised ruckman.

As for the other two… Docherty is just too expensive. I know he’ll score 130, but it leaves everywhere else to weak for mine. And as Kev pointed out in the comments yesterday, Simpson is a chance to get just as much of the ball at a discounted price.

“Freako noted on Twitter that Doch went into the middle when Cripps went down. Depends who the Blues bring in for Cripps, if they don’t go like for like and Doch finds himself in the middle again, Simmo will see a bunch of the footy down back”

So without further fluffing about, here is how the Potatoes will line up for the weekend:

PanicRd17Image5

TWO DRAFTSTARS ACADEMY OPPORTUNITIES THIS WEEK:

AcademyContentNextWeek

ENTER THE ACADEMY CONTEST HERE

1st – $100, 2nd – $50, 3rd – $30, 4th – 35th – $10

READY TO GRADUATE? ENTER THE $2 BUY-IN CONTEST HERE

Limited entries – so get in quick sticks! Click here to catch up on Higgo’s Draftstars genius so far

CAPTAIN McCAPTAINFACE

This segment is almost pointless now. I may as well copy and paste ‘chuck it on Danger’ every week. It’s boring. It’s stupid. YOU’RE RUINING THE GAME, PATRICK. Stop being so damn good, you bastard.

So, stick the VC on Paddy Dangerfield. Hell, stick the C on him and be done with it. He is averaging 160 over his last five games. 168 over his past 3. I mean what do you say to that? “Stick the C on JPK?” Righto then. Yeah. I’ll do that.

There’s absolutely no point to pointing out how good Dayne Zorko’s form is, and how he’s worthy of the C this week. Zach Merrett’s potential don’t mean squat in the scheme of captaincy. Tom Mitchell doesn’t even get a ring in because he’s playing the Cats. Who cares if Sam Docherty is in career-best form and producing scores not seen in a defender since Brett Deledio’s heyday? NONE OF IT MATTERS.

Stick the C on Danger, sit in front of the couch with something warm, alcoholic and bitter and watch Dangerfield collect 58 possessions, kick 12 goals and lay 23 tackles on his way to 254 supercoach points and Charlie #2 and hate what this game has done to you.

What are you thinking, community? Who are you locking into your Draftstars side? Do you prefer Joel or Zorks – or maybe even Tommy Mitchell? Which one of them gets the C? And what have your worst trades of the year been?

See you in the comments!

Twitter : @PatchToTheMax

Tags: ,

1. Dylan says:

Who do I bring in for Cripps out of Tom Mitchell, Zorko, Seb Ross and Callan Ward?

2. Mark says:

Most of these are my fault but I've been pretty unlucky this year
    I started with shaw and Simpson over docherty (I still don't have him)
    Round 4 I traded goldy to grundy
    Round 5 I got Jeremy Howe over Adams and docherty
    Round 7 beams to Pendlebury
    Round 8 treloar to Bont
    Round 9 I brought in jjk who got injured the next week
    Round 11 got Sloane, he hasn't scored 100 yet
    Round 13 got Scott Selwood, he gets injured

• Mark says:

I also started with Hannebery

• Patch says:

I'd forgotten about old mate Scooter Selwood… god that was a dark time for all of us.

It's been a dark year, Mark – credit to you for soldiering on

• Robbo says:

As a true demon I thought this may present as an opportunity to get a bit of red and blue in the side and actually benefit.

Big Max was obvious but when that fell flat half way through the first qtr in r.3 the decision to run with Spencer to make a few bucks didn't quite work out. Bernie Vince as a dpp in def was another howler. Plan A was always Clayton Oliver but when finances were just a little bit short Surely Brayshaw is just as sound a pick an another DPP to sweeten the deal. In a tough season to find reliable forwards Petracca looked like a handy pod. If you watch him play he looks better than just handy but gets bugger all love from champion data. Please spend a bit of off season time with the Bont who gets 30 points for putting his boots on.

Not long to go now. Reckon I'll just get max back cos he's cheap and as a parting gesture Jesse Hogan at sub 400 looks like a must have.

3. Matt says:

brought in West Coast rookie Bayok as my only trade in this week, and while it doesn't sound exciting, rather plain stupid, there is a reason for it.

West Coast have 4 Sunday games left this season, equal most of any teams, and most of them are of the later variety due to being in WA's time zone. This allows me to play him on field and loophole my F6/F7 OR M8/M9.

Example: this weekend Adelaide is playing on Saturday, so I have selected Hugh Greenwood as my emergency. If he scores 90+, I will keep Bayok on field and take his score. If he scores below that, I'll swap Bayok with Nankervis, who plays on Sunday, and hope that he outscores Greenwood.

In future weeks I will be able to do this loophole in the midfield as well, with Dahlhaus (M9) and whichever midfielder is playing on a Sunday.

Hope this helps anyone who's got a full premo team and is unsure how to max their points

• Patch says:

Lovely stuff, Matty! This is the sort of play that gives you an edge in the run home, where every single point counts. Beautiful stuff mate

• Jochem says:

Oh no. Keep this quiet please! I had the same plan. That is why I am keeping McInnis in defense too.Cheers

4. gator59 says:

Great write up patch.. I to feel your pain

5. SC_Kev7 says:

"…producing scores not seen in a defender since Brett Deledio’s heyday"

Oh yeah! Those sweet, sweet pangs of nostalgia

• Patch says:

It hurt writing that sentence. The good old days of Goddard and Deledio at D1 and 2 are long, long gone…

• ScOtty says:

Would love to know where we can look back at those days.

Would love to see the players past averages and positions.

I've had a look around Footywire but haven't been able to find the position changes.

• The Ranger says:

Type "Old Ockers Spreadsheet" into the search bar at the top of the page mate.
        Old Ocker is a legend.

• Guest says:

it pays to do a data dump at the end of every season ScOtty – been doing in since 2002, highly recommended

6. INPieman says:

The tale of Gary

Start the season with Gary & VC each week. Plays North. Have no loop behind. Decide not to C & he scores 210. Gary plods along doing ok. Round 10 Gary shoulder & out. Decide no good & trade to Yeo to help bye structure. Yeo been ok. Gary comes back next week then backs out 139 & 146. Gary is back! Trade Gary back in. Gary goes sub 100 then does a calf. Hold Gary & scores 114 on VC again. Round 16 Gary does hammy. Don't like the sound of that. (calf & hammy in a month), Trade Gary to Cripps. Now Cripps dead & Gary is back…. it's a fickle game

7. CrackersFC says:

Currently sitting just outside the top 1000, so having a relatively good year.
    Getting rid of Roughy this week.
    I have Franklin, Macrae, Dahlhaus Ryder and Yeo in the forward line. Also have 3 other Swans in Hanner, Jake Lloyd and Newman so not keen on having a 5th in Heeney
    So who do I go with, the curious case of Tobias Greene or someone else??

• Rick Grimes says:

How about Walters? Seems to be in great form and getting heaps of it. There's obviously massive risk, but since round 7 he's belted out 6 tons and averaged 111. He did score a 49 in that run, but his next worse is 81. That's too bigger sample to suggest a fluke.

• Patch says:

If you really want to leapfrog up the ranks and hit top 500, something out of left field like this may be worth a shot.

As the old saying goes, if you shoot for the moon and miss, you sit floating cold in the endless, meaningless void of space alone for eternity. I'm not good at sayings, but the point is risks may be in your favour. If you want something slightly less crazy than Walters, Jezza Cameron is having a good season and a relative POD. Billings or even The Hoff could be sneaky picks as well

• Russty_ says:

Koby Stevens…or Roo?

8. BrownlowBoy says:

Best downgrade option this week?

• Patch says:

We don't really have one, Charlie. Josh Thomas at 193k is pretty much it. I'd probably do for a non-playing DPP rookie to swing some of your playing cover around instead, or hold if you can

• IntheNickofTime says:

None. If you've got enough cover grab someone who can swing and costs peanuts. I went for Junker (DEF/MID).

9. KrazeeEyezK1lla says:

would love to give somebody like Bont or Pendles the boot for Zorko

10. Rick Grimes says:

How likely is Zorko to get tagged out of the game. Surely he's the man to go to?

• SC_Kev7 says:

Tigers don't have a tagger, Rick

• Rick Grimes says:

I'm more thinking for the rest of the year. He does have a big ceiling, but a premo midfielder chucking out a 50 under a heavy tag is counter-productive.

• Jager Bombs says:

Not convinced to many teams will employ tags on Brisbane players. If the Tigers haven't employed any tags this yr can't see them potentially changing game plan against a team like the lions.

• Patch says:

Melbourne are the only one of the sides coming up with a designated, top notch tagger (I don't rate Kerridge as a tagger), so while he'll get attention, he's still a lock for mine.

• Billy says:

The time of the full on tagger is long gone. If the bloke doing the defensive role can't hurt the opposition going the other way he is a waste of a player. It has to be blokes who are disciplined enough to do a job but are players in their own right. Bernie fits the bill here. Swannies don't need a tagger because pretty much all their mids run both ways. Compare the defensive effort of JPK to Pendles for the perfect example

11. Rick Grimes says:

My hurtiest moment was Newman going massive the week I traded him out. But my bigger hurt is probably yet to fully unfold – Fyfe averaging 150 for the rest of the year.

12. Jager Bombs says:

Who from the following list does the community think will perform greater on the run home from the following mids;

Hanners, Treloar & R Gray.

Currently have all 3 – Looking to bring in Selwood & Zorko this week. I'm leaning towards keeping Gray because he has shown he can go huge while the other 2 just aren;t having great years.

Thoughts would be much appreciated.

13. SC Lover says:

Toby Greene or Issac Heeney – which of these fwds should complete my team.

14. Borko says:

Looking to make my final DEF upgrade this week … tossing up between Adams and Simpson. I started Rance over Adams (which was obviously a bad call) but Adams has been poor over his past 5 games. His ownership is up at 50% compared to Simpson at about 10%.

Who scores more from here on? Must admit that I am leaning toward Simpson as a relative POD and back him in to outscore or even outlast Adams who will hurt a lot of coaches if he picks up the injury a lot if us have been expecting?

15. SCDamien says:

My tale of woe is just the line-up I started the year with.

16. Sandinuts says:

Who's the best midfielder under 500k right now? I'm pondering whether or not i should trade Priddis

17. TRIGGA_HAPPY says:

woe is me woe is you._love it patch._so as the song goes – and bad mistakes, I've made a few" sounds better when sung along to we are the champions_here we go. Not too many this year but there are always a couple:_traded in neal bullen for roughy rd 6 after goody said NB is a central part of our midfield and will play a big part this year_scored 60 next week then dropped_was gonna be a great pod with DPP till byes – traded him out for less than what I bought him for_started pickett_started smith over ottens so struggled for cash gen._started hannas – traded him to bont rd 3 so made $30k. Quick calc I am 40 points up on that trade at the end of rd 16_Didnt start Nank – traded Ryder to Nank Rd 4. straight swap – gr8 early now I think maybe even money on that one. Might cost me with 7 rounds still to go.__Injuries have shaped my season but not in a bad way they have actually helped belive it or not._smith injured rd 1 – traded to newman rd 4 (d6 currently)_GHS injured rd 3 – through magic of DPP traded down to Witts (traded last week to gawn – regret ? jury still out on gawn trade)_Beams injured – traded to EVW. Got smashed on this trade but did build the bank so could go hannan – heeney and NB – yeo next round so good overall_Sandi – Kruez rd 12_EVW – Ryan Rd 12_Stewart – lloyd rd 14_so yeah for once injuries have actually helped__started season with a direct plan to start durable premos based on the good ol risk profile_risks were beams and sandi which I hoped would make some $$ and points but would needed to be upgraded_so far this plan has been spot on.__Also started the exceey rooks – marchbank, GHS and WHE. as the song goes two out of three aint bad.

18. James says:

9 trades left, 34k in the bank. Any suggestions would be appreciate because I'm stuck for trades!! Was going to go English to Buzza to give some better DPP but he's been dropped of course.

DEF: Docherty, Simpson, Laird, Adams, Newman, Shaw (Ryan, Witherden)

MID: Danger, Merrett, Zorko, JPK, Treloar, Bont, Fyfe, Jelwood (Bolton, Lloyd, Cousins)

RUCK: Gawn, Grundy (English)

FWD: Heeney, Macrae, Franklin, Dahlhaus, Nank, Greenwood (Strnadica, Parsons)

• Rick Grimes says:

Don't really see a whole lot of options because of the lack of downgrades. Parsons down and Nank up would be the go if you could find someone. But you don't have a lot of bench cover. Probably sit tight and see how things look next week.

19. Bobby Gee says:

Tale of woe? Traded in Bont, Sloane and Rocky for peak prices and then had them average about 90 ever since.

Also, I think I've only once scored more than I was projected to when the round commenced. Nearly always seem to score 150-250 less. Very frustrating year.

20. Matt says:

Needing to downgrade to non playing player for an upgrade next week. Do i pull trigger so i can loop Lynch and Greenwood, but have to play Witherden on field. Or hold until next week which means i loop Greenwood and Witherden, but got to play Lynch on field?

21. undypuncher says:

Started with roo and smith from melbourne when roo went fown i swapped roo to hannan and smith to johanisen ….. bom bom. …. start ryan over johinasen ?

22. BRAD says:

Is it time to trade Rocky? to selwood, parker or fyfe?
    Is it time to trade Newnham to Doch?
    Take a gamble on K.Jack to save coin or go for Walters or menagola?

23. lewyhewy says:

who will finish better, Yeo or macrae

24. Don't Blush Baby says:

Looks like there been having some fun AFL House, my father told me a long time ago ,don't let your dick rule your life son !

• INPieman says:

Were only human!

• Ruddigar says:

Just so I've got it straight, the AFL morality police have got rid of a couple of blokes who have rooted out of school. Hardly a crime and given we are talking about consenting adults here maybe a bit heavy handed.

Never mind we've balanced out the universe by bringing back the biggest drug cheat in the sports history to award this years norm smith medal

Brilliant.

• Randomcliche says:

Couldn't have said it better! They wanted it swept u Der the carpet 5 years ago and nothing has changed.

25. Laurie says:

Sandilands why oh why did you I hold you so that you could stiff me by getting injured in your first game back so many times I could of traded you….and Kennedy thank god you are finally back.. week after week I've held on just waiting and hoping. Please don't do a Sandi to me…Please!

7 trades left I'm thinking Sloane – Kelly
    Dahlhaus- Macrae ….thoughts please?

• wightyswarriors says:

Laurie…sc101 says never trade sideways and you want to do it twice ?

• redherringfc says:

Sideways and sideways.

Sloane has Port, Essendon, Sydney and West Coast in our finals, i'm hoping he doesn't get tagged too heavily in any of these.

Macrae is a must, but i'd be looking elsewhere, rather than Dahlhaus.

• Laurie says:

Thanks I needed some clarity I know sideways is so stupid but Slone is hurting me I keep losing games by under 10 points I will look elsewhere and not going with stupidity!

• redherringfc says:

I'm holding sloane, but i'm playing Scooter on field in his place this week. Still might be able to work a loophole if Sloane goes big (big if).

• Russty_ says:

Hey Laurie, I'd leave it for this week and then decide what to do next week, when you still have 7 trades.

26. oscar says:

can't decide between Macrae, Greene or Yeo. help me out community!!

• Tibor says:

Absolutely a three way dead heat without knowing te relative prices off the top of my head. I reckon when that happens take the bloke in the best team.

• SC_Kev7 says:

Macrae and Yeo are pretty hard to split. Yeo, but only just

• The Ranger says:

Yeo for mine.

• redherringfc says:

Macrae has been yo-yo ing the last few weeks from 80 to 120, but those 120's i'm predicting to be his norm over the last few weeks. Yeo looks like he is dropping off a bit, hasn't cracked a ton for a while and Greene has had some great scores in his last few games. If it was my choice I'd go Macrae for his consistency, but Greene might end up outscoring him. Yeo is the worst option in my opinion- start with him next year.

27. Nickf says:

Feelsbad trade train…
    Traded out Gablett last week after being fed up with having to bench him… for Cripps, so sorry patrick for that; and just watch Gaz have 200 this week

28. KrazeeEyezK1lla says:

VC Zerrett into C Danger?

Danger will be the C anyway so may as well take a punt on Zerrett

29. Jimmy says:

I was going to bring in the Zork but he has been playing too good. Why that's a problem you ask? He will start to get tagged. You might argue that no one will bother tagging anyone from Brisbane. Well they did it to Zaharakis last year. Zorko is susceptible to the tag and in my opinion will start getting attention. I've copped it with Sloane and don't need this in my life.

• B T says:

I reckon that's fair enough Jimmy.

I'd expect Zorks to cop a bit of attention in the coming weeks as Brisbane can give some sides a scare so it would be reasonable for teams to try and hinder his influence on games.

He hasn't scored well with a tag so I think that is an extremely valid point.

30. JRod says:

Do I trade out HShaw, Newman or Hibberd (Swing JLloyd) to get zorko in. Which one?

31. Richie Porte says:

Couldn't bring in Witherdon last week due to covering doughnuts. Is it to late now. SPP would be the out. Good cash generation. Thoughts

• JRod says:

I think that's a reasonable trade, you have to move SPP and Witherden provides a solid bench player and DPP don't forget.

• INPieman says:

Many of us can relate to your crash with our Supercoach seasons Richie. SPP to Witherden still viable

• Richie Porte says:

After years of hard work and dedication, just when you think you're about to climb the mountain and reach the pinnacle, Ross Lyon rests or makes a late change and you come crashing down hard.

32. The Replacements says:

Anybody concerned at all by Zorko's average when tagged… which is around the 50-60? I know Brisbane are shite and no point in tagging their players but if he continues to have this influence surely they'll try and stop him no? Reason I ask is I'm considering trading Treloar for Zorko, pies are stuffed

• Jimmy says:

You have every right to be concerned. Keep Treloar.
      “We’ve got some plans in place for Dayne (Zorko),” Hardwick said on Friday.

Got tagged by Reid against GWS and had 5 disposals.

Everyone wants to forget about that game.

• The Replacements says:

Keeping Treloar does concern me too lol but he generally finishes the year strong when there's nothing to play for… Anither concern with Zorko is that Rocky has been out of form and Beams has been in and out of the side and lacking consistency in terms of playing time… when they return to form I can see Zorkos scores decreasing just my thoughts obviously and yes that GWS game is firm in my mind now good point

33. Joe T says:

Had the same thoughts as Krazee above. Was going to go VC Zerrett into Danger but even if Zerrett gets 140 I'd still be nervous taking it based on Dangers form.

Is it better to try get a leg up on the rest of the comp and VC danger? If he gets less than 110ish then I can captain Doch

34. Mickey P says:

Hi guys – I fell outside the top 100 last week, would love to get back in and stay there. My strategy was to load up with bench cover and try and loophole every week to get the best score, while also giving me cover if a player goes down. With that in mind I was going to
    – trade in Macrae this week and then have Nank/Lynch rotate between F6/7 (wth nank also ruck cover)
    – next week trade in Selwood as M9 and then swing players like Bont/Treloar/Pendles for best score each week

That was the strategy, but then I hear a lot of respected coaches say that if going for rank, be aggressive, take risks and don't have money sitting on your bench which is opposite of my plan. That means paint the fence, 2 down and 4 up (6trades left and $290k) to upgrade underperformers like Treloar, Bont etc

What does the JR community think?

ps: for what its worth, team is
    Def: Doch, Laird, Adams, Lloyd, Hibberd, Newman (ryan/witherden)
    Mid: Danger, Titch, Merrett, Kelly, JPK, Bont, Pendles, Treloar (Myers, Bolton, Cousins) …… Myers > Jelwood
    Rk : Gawn, Witts (Strnadica)
    fwd:Heeney, Yeo, Dahl, Wallis, Nank, Lynch (Greenwood, Bayok) ….. Greenwood to Macrae

• Borko says:

I will be following the same strategy but I am nowhere near the top 100. I am doing it as a bit of an experiment as my season is shot (currently around 13,500) but I think it is a good approach. You can maximise your points (via loopholes) and have some good coverage. It does leave you susceptible to long term injuries in the last few rounds (I plan to use up all my trades by R20) but you wil be able to cover a few at least given your bench cover. At this stage, its a calculated high risk, high reward strategy and one that could get you right up the pointy end. I suppose you could also target some PODs in your final upgrades to hopefully give you that edge!

• The Ranger says:

Nice problem to have Mickey.
      I've never made it to those dizzying heights myself but from many years of being on this forum I can tell you that a lot of the top teams will be running out of trades soonish and when injuries hit as they often do DPP bench cover is crucial. I would look to flip Lloyd to M8 via Myers and bring in another premo defender and do the Greenwood to Macrae trade. You then have decent cover and loophole options across all lines and the rest of your trades can be used more aggressively to upgrade underperforming premos.
      Just my two cents.
      Good luck mate.

• SC_Kev7 says:

Congrats on the rank, Mickey. Honestly, I don't see a problem with your strategy (probably why I'm ranked where I am). A lesson I've taken away from this year is that there is no unbreakable rule on how to play. You're gut feel has got you this far, you must be doing something right!

• Borko says:

Just another thought (one you have probably considered) is to make sure your donuts are all DPP as much as possible. I am planning to have my M10 as a m/f and my M11 as a m/d. However, there is only one 102k def/mid option (Junker) so my D8 will be a def only. Jeez, i love this game … if nothing else, it will be a great looking team with heaps of flexibility!

• Derek says:

Works good until Schaz is a late in and I can't take Lairds score

• Big fact hunr says:

Great side great trades. Having cover like that is an extra trade when someone goes down good luck

• Mickey P says:

Thanks guys, really appreciate it and will stick with my plan. Got Bayok as non playing mid/fwd due to his draw being lot of Sat night/ Sunday games to use for loop and will get another one for Myers next week when I bring in Jelwood

35. INPieman says:

Fyfe resigns with Freo. Lets hope he celebrates with a 150+

36. Harry H says:

What ruined my 2017 season was really the strategy. I decided to go full premo in mids early so was there at round 6 (subsequently did 1 sideways trade of Beams to Pendles). But who would know they would be so inconsistent scorers! Danger and Neale big ticks. Selwood generally a tick but not without issue. You would say the rest of Pendles, Rocky, Fyfe, Treloar and Hanners looks unbelievable on paper right? More like unbelievably inconsistent. That has killed my season.

And of course, believing Ross the Boss and hanging onto Sandi for so long. If I'd traded him to Kruezer when he got injured, would have at least 3 more league wins. That's the 1 trade/non trade that haunts me.

2018 is my year, 2018 is my year (keep telling yourself that HH)

• neil Demons Delight says:

completely agree H H.dId the same completing mids early.. next year will leave plenty of room for better bargain mids when they appear. I had treloar and fyfe completing the mids both were not good enough Though it will be slow to start next year I will have as low as 9 prems and plenty of young guns Ablett/fYFE TYPES will go to Cripps /oliver types.Also have more patience with rookies though happy with my lot

37. Jim_bob321 says:

What do u think of this..
    Hold off Jelwood till next week
    Then SPP – Hurley
    Swing Witherden in mid
    Cheers community

38. B T says:

Hey all.

Is it worth going Tuohy>Hibberd (Melbourne) this week?

I have 7 trades prior to making any moves and only Hugh Greenwood left to upgrade with a nice amount in the bank.

My current defence looks like this.

Doc, Laird, Adams, Lloyd, Newman, Tuohy (Ryan, NM Hibberd)

Thanks all.

• JohndJames says:

Too much of a sideways trade,if you have the cash why not go Hibberd for Hibberd.That should give you plenty of cover for the finals.

39. H Lee says:

ward or parker for the run home?

40. Tom says:

I have 7 trades left, 18k in the bank, and 2 spots away from a full premo team (Newman and Greenwood). Would this be a smart trade?

Greenwood to Gawn
    &
    Butler to Deluca ($102k forward)

Leaves me with $23k in the bank

Cheers,
    Tom

41. cattery says:

Howdy community,

In a bit of a conundrum this week so I'd appreciate any help. My current team is:

Def: Doc, Laird, Adams, Hibberd, Lloyd, Newman (Scharenberg, McNiece)
    Mid: Danger, Pendles, Titch, Zerret, JPK, Fyfe, Greenwood (Witherden, Cousins, Mountford)
    Ruck: Gawn, Martin (Strnadica)
    For: Macrae, Dahlhaus, Heeney, Buddy, Nank, Steele (Schoenmakers, Bolton)

With 4 trades left and 262k in the bank, here are my options:
    – No trades this week
    or – Trade Newman out for Hurley
    or – Trade Newman out for Roberton

Should I hold my all important trades for another week or use it, and if so, for who?

I plan on bringing Joel Selwood in next week in place of Greenwood, leaving me with some cash and a couple of trades to make final changes to the side come finals.

Cheers

42. BRAD says:

Newman to doch &
    cousins to selwood leaves 76K in the bank?
    or
    Stewart to Jack &
    cousins to selwodd leaves 204K in the bank ?

• IntheNickofTime says:

Can you wait on Selwood for another week? Not sure on your set-up but but personally I'd aim to keep Newman and have him as cover if you can afford it, but Doch is certainly a priority.

• redherringfc says:

Docherty will outscore Newman by 20 to 50 a week, so that seems a no brainer. Do you still need 2 Midfield upgrades? if you need to finish your mids then you probably need to go with the 2nd option. Just be aware that Selwood still has another big price drop coming (hopefully he doesn't crack the 165 which is his BE)

43. hedski says:

Looks like Cousins is now loophole only material, at least the hawks have a few late games coming up bar the Friday night game in two weeks.

44. Steve says:

4 Trades left looking at Dahlhaus to Heeney thoughts

45. TheGreatBozza says:

SPP or Hannan up to a Yeo/Greene/Buddy? This McLeod Greenwood/Lynch as my F6/F7

Other option is to hold as I'm getting Selwood next week. Currently have J.Lloyd at M8

46. korza says:

Currently ranked 214th (Airporter)

Traded out Adams prior to his bye rd
    Traded in Adams the week later (Docherty was at my mercy)
    F.Me
    Say no more

47. MTUK says:

For my tale of woe i traded Fyfe to Cripps last week.

48. johnno2908 says:

Had a terrible year sitting around 1800th which is better than I deserve.

Lots of regrets, biggest was not having the balls to press complete trade on a Sunday afternoon in round 9. Would have won the $1k weekly prize.

49. James T says:

Hey guys, in a situation where I find myself just outside the top 8 in my league, and as I'm playing for league, it's crucial that I win at least 2, if not 3 of my final 3 games to make finals. Should I cull sharenburg to be able to go Treloar to Titch/Zorko this week, and Greenwood to Jelwood next week as well as Shaw/Newman to Adams? Other option is to cull Bolton but would generate less cash and would give no fwd bench option. Thanks guys :)

• Russty_ says:

Hey James, without knowing how many trades you have left but considering your circumstances, I'd say yeah, get Titch in this week and Selwood next week, the third one looks a bit too sidewaysy for me.
      See how Shaw, Newman and Adams go this week before you decide on that one….cheers, good luck.

• James T says:

Hey Russty, I have 8 trades left right now. Cheers for your input mate. I guess with having quite a few trades left I have the luxury to make a couple sideways trades left. If he looks good back from injury I would also consider JJK for Nank if Nanks input drops with Soldo being named in ruck for Richmond

50. Matt says:

I know it might be a stupid question, but after seeing Zorko's run home, should i take him this week or Jelwood next week?

• redherringfc says:

Jelwood, save about 130k and score the same.

Or take him this week, save 100k and pick up his 120+ points.

• B T says:

Yeah I agree with red, You can't pass up on Jelwood at that price + it's a major upside to have some cash in the bank for the run home.

51. Tommo09 says:

Nank to Ryder? Yes or No?
    I have 5 trades left

52. Thomas says:

Obviously VCing Danger and will most likely not need the C, but who should i whack the C on, Doch, JPK or Pendles?

53. Jess says:

Options? 8 Trades – 230k
    Adams, Shaw, Hibberd (melb), Doch, Newman, Tuohy (Hibberd – Nth, Ryan)
    Pendles, Danger, JPK, Neale, Merrett, Fyfe, Bont, Pepper (Berry, Witherden, Cousins)
    Gawn, Martin (Strnadica)
    Dank, Nank, Macrae, Buddy, Lynch, Parsons (Eddy, Greenwood)
    Thinking Pepper to Dusty or Mitchell or should I just grab J Selwood for 100k cheaper. Thoughts?

• Russty_ says:

Hi Jess, I reckon wait a week on Selwood and then go Pepper to Selwood, for this week I'd be thinking about offloading Tuohy to someone better, play Witherden onfield instead of Pepper and Greenwood on instead of Parsons.

• Jess says:

You reckon get Laird while he is 477k? Missed out on Hurley. What about getting a Mid Fwd in to do a swing.
        What's the best plan for this week.

54. Russty_ says:

Hey Hedski, Sandiballs to Kreuzer would've made you feel better about your big bastards :)..and at least that pesky Smith spud is gone.

• hedski says:

Yeah your right there Russty, did it the week Sandi went down, Mummy was flying then.
      What do ya reckon, sneaky vc on NRooey tonight or play safe Danger into Doch?

55. Nick says:

Hey all, last minute trade advice!
    I still have Scooter… awesome he's named. But should I hold him?
    I was originally thinking of downgrading him to Josh Thomas, then upgrade Marchbank to Hurley.
    Currently I have 7 trades and Scooter is sitting on my pine.
    Cheers!

56. Daniel says:

Wasn't planning on doing any trades this week cause there is no need to do any at this stage…. although, do I go a player like Hanners or Treloar who has been doing my head in since round 1 to a bloke like Zorko who is looking the goods for the run home.. FYI I have 7 trades left with 280k in the bank.

• redherringfc says:

If you are going to make the finals with your current team and you want to win your finals then hold all trades. I'm on 6 trades and holding Hanners, Sloane, Treloar, Nank, Steele, Fyfe, Scooter, Shaw and Newman. Although one mid is on the bench.

57. red5 says:

Koby Stevens
    $444 K
    BE 48
    3 Rd Avg104.
    8th best 3 Rd Avg for a FWD and heaps cheaper than other 10 ten FWD's
    Is this a good trade or not?

58. TOPHAWK1 says:

Good evening community! Here we go again………let the SC gods spare us this round.

I have one more upgrade to make in my back line and achieve full premo status across all lines.

Contemplating upgrading Berry to Michael Hurley…….Got about half an hour to do it….Should I just bite the bullet? I still have Mitch Hibberd on the mid bench and Witherden on the back bench. The def/mid swing obviously still intact.

Thinking of going VC Danger into Docherty as C.

• Derek says:

Docherty will be 100% midfield with Crips out.
      Kerrridge get filling Curnows role already
      How will he go?

• TOPHAWK1 says:

Hi Derek.

Its very possible that the Doc will get more midfield time with Cripps out. That is one of the reasons I reckon the Doc would make a great captain this round. Have you got the Doc yet mate?

• hedski says:

Good trade Toppa, get it done mate.

• TOPHAWK1 says:

You really mean that mate? LOL Remember, we clash next week in the Woo league. Might help your strategy? hehehe

Stuff it I am pulling the trigger. Got to have at least one player in action tonight. Got no Sainters, and now only Hurley. My night now has meaning!! Cheers

59. Derek says:

According to Champion Data, the teams with the easiest draw to the hardest for the rest of the season are as follows:

Richmond
    Swans
    Melb
    Geelong
    Saints
    Collingwood
    Adelaide

Do with the info what you like.

60. Tyruddanaut says:

Oh jeez, I've been disloyal this year so I've just got to say my worst/best few trades

Round 4: Corrective Trade, Touhy + Oliver -> Newman and Adams
    I consider this my best trade if the year so far, just shows how bad my year is

Round 5: Newman + Barrett -> Williamson + Milera
    ………………. Why?…. Fillowed by Pickett back to Newman the next week

Round 9: Butler + Houston -> Heeney + Myers
    Myers may be terrible and I only received 70k odd out of him but Heeney is one of my best forwards

Round 10: Marchbank + Preuss -> English + Stewart
    Stewart performed decently but ended up being traded out by round fourteen. English on the other hand was traded in for coverage in Round 13….. gets dropped that week and the regret kicks in

Round 13: Roughead + Fyfe + Myers -> Scooter + Lloyd + Macrae
    Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes. This trade makes me more aroused than Donald Trump at an army base. Roughead hasn't improved and got me 80k. Fyfe ended up having a streak of injury and poor form only to have one good one last week and that's only one trade until full keeper

So there you have it. Some average trades early to some great trades throughout. A little bit of luck has helped me and I hope my luck gets better going on

61. redherringfc says:

since fox like to point out that it's rural round i'd just like to point out that i'm a country member.

62. TheBenchmark25 says:

Need to be inspired this week…. lift premiums lift

63. Shweta says:

quickly .. thoughts on roberton to hurley.. considering dons nice run home

• Thomas says:

I hope you didnt pull the trigger. I don't understand why you would consider it, Robbo has been very good

64. TOPHAWK1 says:

Nice start Hurley. 31 SC Q time, 7 disposals at 100%.

Is Riewoldt on the field? Did not see him and did not hear his name called by that idiot aka Brian Taylor.

65. Thomas says:

Is Eddy – Junker a worthwhile trade? I have 5 trades left and will be completing last upgrade next week. Only pocket 40k but gives me another valuable def/mid swingset in def (will be in mids this week, will get put in def next week). Doing this also enables me to loop Greenwood and Lynch/buddy this week.

66. TOPHAWK1 says:

Good first half Hurley. 64 SC @ 1/2 time, 13 disposals at 100%. His DE is just sublime. Good boy

67. Finnius123 says:

Zerrett carving – I can feel a good week coming up.

• Derek says:

At half time he was heading to 140+. I had no players playing tonight, but nearly every one of my opponents had Merret. I hate watching a game and hoping a player does poor.

68. TOPHAWK1 says:

HURRRRLEYYY!!!

Hehehehe.

TOPHAWK pulls off a classic shark move!

Hey, where are ya now "one touch wonder"?

• hedski says:

Told ya it was a great trade. Those chasing Seb's points will be disappointed…. A warning maybe for Zorko???

• TOPHAWK1 says:

You "liked" it as a trade. But its a great trade now!

Whacked 10 bucks on the Bombers by 1-39. Might not come in. Just too bloody good!

69. Tyruddanaut says:

Ooh. I'm feeling your pain

70. Tyruddanaut says:

I'm hoping that literally every popular player except mine gets injured so I don't look at a mediocre team every week from now on

71. Pman says:

Hi Community I currently have 6 trades left and $127K in bank and and are 2 spots away from full premo and really could use some advice on the following;

1. Trade Nank to Ryder & $30K/5 trades – keeps Ruck/Fwd swing should Goldy or Grundy go down.

OR,

2. Hold trades this week and then upgrade J Berry to Jelwood (who will be circa $450K) for final M8 next week leaving Greenwood & Witherden as perm bench cover? Means holding onto Nank until at least finals?

• Derek says:

I think Ryder will score better than Nank, but not enough to justify a trade. Save it for an inevitable injury.

• Pman says:

Then what about Berry to Jelwood next week (who will be bargain of the season)? Would still leave me with 5 trades but bugger all cash but injuries aside I wouldn't need to use those trades until finals and just would leave Nank & Shaw as future upgrades.

• redherringfc says:

Definitely hold out for next week.

72. Pat says:

take stewart's 83 or back in greenwood?

73. ahmad rubas says:

trade steele out with 4 trades left?

74. Daniel says:

Should I loop Lynch/Greenwood or loop Greenwood/Nankervis this week?

75. lewiie says:

hey guys wondering who to put the c on, dusty or docherty

76. Keenbutclueless says:

Most mediocre trade? Final two upgrades because of limited cash was choice of Parker and Hurley versus Bont and Montagna/Shaw/McDonald. Really wanted Bont so went Bont Montagna.

Trade was already sucking from the moment I did it. But last night just proved it for sure. I actually ended up loop holing Montagna and Ryan, so Ryan will take the field. That's how far that trade has fallen.

Trading Lynch in hasn't worked, but I don't feel as bad about that trade. I was picking up a key forward at value. Pretty hard to complain about whatever you get.

77. Jimmy says:

And u are a used tampon

78. Ruddigar says:

That's not very nice jimbo. There may be some wisdom in what you say. You should back yourself and get in blokes like schoenmakers, Zak Dawson or perhaps Shane Kersten on the basis that they won't attract a tag

79. Jimmy says:

Mate I don't like being referred to as a muppet lol. There are some players that crumble when they get tagged aka as Zorko when he got 5 disposals against GWS. I have had the nightmare of having both JJ and Rory Sloane in my team. The tag is evil.

80. wellinghaaaaam says: