Patch Supercoach Team Reveal

Supercoach 2017 Team Reveal by Patch

BOY OH BOY, WOWEE.

What a pre-season. Never have we seen so much analysis, thinking and collaboration as this community – and indeed the entire internet – have come together and given us more information than we can poke a stick at. And I pride myself on being very good at poking things with sticks.

And so, in the lead up to the pre-season, I over-analysed every single selection in my side, and as such my team comprised of twelve pages of notes, a detailed trading plan up to round 11 and notes on the JLT.

Four pre-season games in, I tore my notes into little squares and lit them on fire. I then jumped up and down on the flames to put them out, then put the ashes in a little glass jar and said very mean things about their mother.

It was somewhere between an insult about her girth and insinuating her lineage was… ah… “unconventional” … I realised I was the one with the problem. I locked my team up, went down the peninsula and tried to not think about it.

I came back last week and opened my side for the first time in two weeks, hit “clear team” and went to work. I looked at my handiwork and screamed. Rinse and repeat. Clear team, fill it up, yell loudly. Over the course of two days, I invented a total of 647 different swear words and have vaguely resembled this:

This year is one of the more complicated years we’ve faced since the dawn of the Gold Coast Suns. Rookies are non-existent. Mid prices are flaunting their scantily clad, sexy selves all over the bloody place, wearing nothing at all (stupid sexy midpricers).

Let’s just get into it: the version of Patch’s Potatoes that have lead to me screaming the least.

DEFENCE

Patch-SuperCoach-2017-Defenders

2-0-6. This is where the cash generation is, plain and simple. I’m happy with this, there is exactly zero screaming is being caused by my backline. The job security of Marchbank and Hampton allows me to slot them comfortably into D3 and D4. Simpson is a no-brainer after last year’s consistency, and is a POD (5% ownership?!?) for some ludicrous reason. Laird was my first picked this year.

The only thing I’m annoyed at is being unable to fit Taylor Adams into my starting side. Playing as a pure midfielder, he’s a no-brainer but just doesn’t slide above Laird and Simpson. Still has time to slide into D2. I also like Lloyd but can’t fit him in.

MIDFIELD

Patch-Supercoach-2017-MIDS

The engine room. This comforts me. Fyfe and Dangerfield pick themselves, JPK, Selwood and Priddis have been at the top for years. That people aren’t picking these blokes is simply baffling. Treloar looks like he’ll go huge this year.

I’m struggling to split him and Pendlebury, but have done so purely on Treloar’s goal kicking potential, as he had the most shots on goal from a midfielder in the pre-season. Beams was a firm no until he was given the captaincy – surely they wouldn’t give it to a bloke who’s only going to play 12 games. Lock. Possible keeper.

SPP and Barrett are the two rookies, Hibberd and Parfitt are links. It’s just carnage down there. Significantly, I have no Jaeger, Oliver or Swallow. I’d be happy with Jaeger if he fit my structure, but still fear he’ll be rested here and there. Swallow is a firm no after watching two Suns games and seeing him do diddly squat. Oliver will break out but I’m gonna pass because I like the idea of starting 6 top 10 midfielders.

RUCKS

Patch-Supercoach-2017-Rucks

This is where the screaming starts. And what screaming there is. Sandilands picks himself. I firmly believe he’ll play 20 games this year. He’s done it before on the comeback from injury and is Freo’s only hope of making the finals. No third man up locks him away and has me throwing the key down a drain.

Jarrod Witts is a rookie. It’s been so long since we’ve had a viable rookie in the rucks that now one has popped up, no-one has any idea what to do with it. Combined with his round 9 bye, the pending price drop of both Gawn and Goldstein due to Spencer and Pruess and the fact that I have absolutely no idea who the top ruckmen will be this year, I’m going to start him on the field and upgrade him as soon as I can.

NOW – if Witts isn’t named as the solo ruck in round one, he’s gone, and… well, that depends on who else isn’t named. If Longer isn’t named, I might go Hickey. If Archie Smith is playing NEAFL, Stef might come into calculations. Paddy Ryder might turn up. I might just collapse in the foetal position and cry. FINE, YES I’M CONFUSED. I DON’T HAVE THE ANSWERS HERE. I’M LOSOT AND SCARED AND DON’T KNOW WHO TO PICK. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? ARE YOU HAPPY?!?

Come on, Patch, deep breaths. We’re not done screaming yet.

FORWARDS

Patch-Supercoach-2017-Forwards

Alright, say it. Just go ahead. I’m crazy. I’m deluded. I’m the most important of the ten commandments Lek and I wrote. I’m picking a speculative, breakout midpricer, which I explicitly and repeatedly told everyone not to do. I am picking Shaun Bloody Higgins. Go ahead, throw your tomatoes. Seriously, THROW THEM. SEE IF I CA-

Sorry, I’m just… I’m just having a lot of emotions about this side. North Melbourne no longer have a midfield. They’ve got a whole bunch of kids, and three blokes who they can throw in there for stability. One of them is Ben Cunnington, who isn’t all that good at football. Another is Jack Zeibell, who gets suspended for sixteen matches every year. The other is Shaun Higgins. Look at his preseason form. He scored 100, 123 and 61 (from 42% TOG).

Nick Reiwoldt will average about 215.3 before his bye, and Luke Dahlhaus is just a solid selection. Jarryd Roughead is too much value, Toby Nankervis is absolutely, 100% required ruck cover (see RUCKS section), and Tim Taranto is both good enough and has enough opportunity with Deledio and Coniglio down to overlook the 200k price tag. Eddy is locked, Houston is dependent on being named. Could become anyone.

OKAY PHEW.

We’re done. I survived. Somehow. Now, if anyone is still here and has staunched the bleeding from their eyes, I’m going to lead a communal screaming session in the comments.

PATCH

@PatchToTheMax

COACHKINGS ROUND 1 KICKS OFF THIS WEEK!! FIND YOUR NEAREST VENUE HERE

CoachKings

Tags: ,

1. Nick Wealands says:

Witts is a ballsy move patch, but I like it, love that 2-4 defensive structure as well

2. RobDog says:

LOL bloody funny write up Patch. Ballsy team, that's for sue. Have been a big Priddis fan for years, but his over abundance of handballs and complete aversion to kicking, added to no decent ruckman this year have put me off him. I also have decided Taranto wont make enough cash. I like the Higgins pick, I agree North will need him in the mids. Not sure about the 2 0 6 backline, can't see defence rookies making the cash, despite there being so few rookies to pick from. And Witts, well, make or break init! Good luck and keep the great writeups coming.

• Patch says:

Cheers RoDog! I'm terrified but feeling more okay than the rest of my drafts!

Pridda does sort of worry me, but feel the addition of Mitchell will boost him. Taranto wouldn't be anywhere near my side if Coniglio and Taranto weren't out for 8 weeks… still may switch!

• The Stiv says:

If not the defenders, what rookies do you see as making cash RobDog?

3. Sully321 says:

thoughts on Tom Lynch (GC)?

4. Kev says:

No Zerrett?! I shed a single tear for you Patchy.

Backs: Tick (what's the go with Newman? Horse doesn't want to play him)
    Mids: Love 'em
    Rucks/forwards: This is where it starts to break down for mine. Lot of midpricers over the two lines. Yeah rookies are thin but I reckon you can get away with playing one at F6 in a swap for Rough or Higgins. Your mids will carry the bulk of your scoring power early and the extra rook will help with cash generation needed to upgrade your backline

• SCaddict says:

It's funny how we each choose to view things as Patch's forward and ruck lines actually appeal to me. Plenty of value to be had there and you could definitely make a pretty good case for the midpricers he selected. Defence would be more my concern as the JS of the cheap ass rookies (sub $125K) could prove a little dodgy.

Would be surprised if Newman is even named Rd1 given he got overlooked for JLT3 although Horse does like to play his rookies so time will tell. At least Zach Guthrie had a good game for the VFL Cats yesterday so could be elevated to the senior list next week which could present another cheap bench option.

So if I was going to change anything it would be to downgrade one of those ultra premo mids maybe to a JOM/Swallow or rookie and then upgrade one of the cheap defenders to a premo defender, maybe a Lloyd/Tuohy if cash is tight or an Adams if he can afford it.

• Billy says:

If he makes the changes you're suggesting it becomes a genuine mid-price madness team! Tuohy, Lloyd, Marchbank, Beams, JOM, Sandi, Witts, Higgins, Nank, Roughead. Yuck.
        Just like one of our favourite sitcoms on the Simpsons Patch, Dont Go There!

• Patch says:

Look yeah I'm terrified but I don't really see any other options – none of the forward rookies are doing it for me. If we get a juicy one out of nowhere things might change but gee whiz it's… wow.

5. SheriffsBigRig says:

Huge bean bags patch!! Rolling the dice with def/ruck but could pay huge dividends

6. Jedders says:

Wow! I feel your pain Patchy! Mate in the end we just have to ignore everyone else saying this is the au to go and back your gut instinct. Love the balls in the ruck but with no fat rooks to lock in we have to hope some of these mid pricers accumulate enough to be a keeper or a stepping stone. Where is the cash going to come from? Has to be somewhere and may we'll be the rucks this year.
    Thanks for the inspiration to go with my gut Patch
    Jedders

• Patch says:

Cheers Jedders! Hoping the backline, Witts and Nank find me some dollarydoos but there's not much more I want to trust!

7. Will says:

Docherty, shaw, laird
    Marchbank, Hampton, otten
    Bench- Vickers- willis, Stewart

Danger, Pendlebury, JPK, Fyfe
    Dusty, swallow, o'meara, Powell pepper
    Bench- Pickett, Barrett, Hibberd

Nankilands
    Bench- strandica

N. Roo, McRae, Dalhaus
    Roughie, McCarthy, eddy
    Bench- black, Houston

Please leave some feed back and let me know what I can do to improve and what rookies to have only 2nd season

• Sully321 says:

not too sure about mccarthy, will play most games but i dont think his scoring output will justify his price

• Patch says:

Don't mind it Wilbur! I don't like Macrae as a pick and would take Buddy at the same price point. McCarthy also worries me – you're going to get a lot of 30s out of that bloke.

8. Danners says:

I was thinking, wow Patch has done a pretty good job with his team after I read the Defence and Midfield, and then came the last two lines. As you've written or BT would say "Boy Oh Boy, Wowee". 4 midpricers for both lines combined! A big play and massive risk. You've convinced Lek and a lot of people with Higgins, but not me, the graph shows it all. I hope you have a few spare trousers in handy…

9. Keenbutclueless says:

Love the fact that you are playing only one onfield rookie in the forward line. I have fully convinced myself this is the right play.
    I am concerned about Otten and Newman in defence. They are great for the structure, but I am really nervous about their job security.
    I am going to make a suggestion, for what it's worth
    Simpson to Adams. (You do say you want him, and you will be able to get Simpson cheaper later)
    Priddis to Titchell
    Then Higgins to a proper premo.

• Patch says:

Don't mind that, Keen, but I've given it a long look and this way gives me the most peace of mind. Starting to waver on The Prid but Higgins and Simmo are locked away

10. Aaron says:

Heath shaw or Taylor Adams I'm torn
    Help me out with some reasoning

11. Tyruddanaut says:

Gawn and rookie or nank and beams?
    Treloar and roughy or nank and TJL?
    Please help I want nank but if I get him I have a useless 300k to spend that I cant get rid of.

Def: Doch, Laird, Touhy, Marchbank, EVW, Hibberd, (Hampton, Guthrie)
    Mid: Danger, Hanners, Selwood, treloar, Fyfe, Tichell, JOM, SPP, (Barrett, Parfitt, Junker(Loophole/DPP))
    Ruck: Gawndilands, Sterndicka
    FWD: Dahlhaus, Buddy, Roughy, McCarthy, Bowes, Eddy, (Pickett, Butler)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    By the way great team, Patch

12. Peter says:

What combo should I go with
    Pendles, swallow, shaw, McCarthy
    Or
    Treleor, beams, Adams and a rookie for 188k or under already have parfitt, eddy and houston

13. Finnius says:

Patch mate no joke before reading this article my midfield was and still is the exact same as yours, premos/rookies and everything. Great mind think alike I guess…

• Patch says:

Nice! Where did you make the cash savings to get it in?

• Finnius123 says:

I have gone with nankilands in the ruck, and that free-ed up a ton of cash. Have gone with 3 premos in the backline and 2 in the forwards, with roughy at F3. In doing this I am relying upon my midfield to do the bulk of the scoring early, however due to the fact that there are no real consistent performers in the forward line I have decided to hold off and make the forward breakouts my first upgrade targets. I would stack my backline, but most of the guns have a rd 13 bye (adams, shaw, laird ect.) so I have restricted myself to three and just splashed out on the midfield. Also most of the rookies this year are in the backline. I am really happy with my structure and have only gone with 4 midpricers (3 being beams, sandilands and roughy) all of whom are proven premiums so I have no qualms about picking them.

I have gone with a 3-7-3 structure in terms of keepers and am pretty bloody happy with that. Unlike you I have tried to stick with G&R as much as possible and I reckon that that is going to supply me with consistent scores week in week out.

14. hixon666 says:

Stupid sexy mid-pricers indeed there every where

15. NoLanguage says:

Swallow or O'Meara community??? Reasons for and against, currently have Swallow just. Bit more worried about JOM's body

• SCaddict says:

I would just stick with Swallow and not overthink it too much. Should make an easy $150-200K which is all that you need from a stepping stone. Fwiw I expect to run with both these guys although that's probably an unpopular way to go for a lot of coaches.

One slight advantage JOM has over Swallow is his Rd13 bye so that could upgrade him to someone who has already had their bye if you were to hold JOM for the first 12 rounds.

But if JOM really concerns you I'd say just give him a skip as it's unlikely to make or break your season one way or the other.

• Tyruddanaut says:

JOM definitely, hes a gun

• Jason says:

Gold coast medical team are shight Gazza, Jaeger, Prestia, Rischitelli, Hall, Touk, Rosa, Swallow and a sh!t load more, #Untrustworthy and Jaeger has gone to a team where the medical team is excellent (Reason why he chose hawthorn) still prefer swallow ?

• Patch says:

I'm technically in neither boat but that's because I don't like swimming but if I did I'd be in the JOM boat paddling my way along

16. Daisy says:

"Swallow is a firm no after watching two Suns games and seeing him do diddly squat".
    67% JLT game time, 1.04 PPM. He's done more than enough…

• Patch says:

I saw him about 4 times and was shocked each time I looked at the stats, I don't know where he got the football from. Didn't realise he'd gone at 1.04ppm though.

• Phil says:

Swallow did smash it in 1 game (the 1st one) though, where off memory he scored 80 odd from 50% game time. Maybe Patch watched his other 2 games. Must say, I agree with him too….stats can be misleading, watching the game is usually better.

17. Jayden says:

Strongdick

Fwd
    N. Riewoldt, Dalhaus, McRae
    Roughead, HoskinElliot, black
    Bench
    Eddy, houston

Any feed back would be appreciated

18. TRIGGER HAPPY says:

Patch super funny always a great read.
    Two things missing:
    1. Zac Merrett. C'MON you know you want to. With pridda gives you 3 premos missing rd 12 in the mids where you have loaded for points. Pridda up to Zerrett – be a huge bomber pod.
    2. No simpsons reference. Don't tell me you were having dumplings again?

One thing it is not missing is a huge set of plums! Lot of faith on def rookies! Make sure you have some prozac handy next week as 5 of your 8 defenders are likely to be on an extended bench and play on Sunday!

If you find yourself in a dark place "find a happy place" maybe at than Trig's Happy Place. :)

19. Lazza says:

My concern is that apart from Taranto, SPP, Witts and Hampton there won't be any available on field rookies in R1 to fill out our desired structures. I'm also concerned that many of the R1 'likely's' will disappear for a few rounds. What to do? Take a gamble that some will come on in R2/R3 or deploy a mid-price structure.
    I've got two teams ready to go .. one with a maxed out mid price structure with Taranto and Hampton on the field and all other rookies on the bench.
    What are others doing?

• John James says:

Until I see which rookies are playing I only have three true rookies on the field,Hampton at D6 SSP at M8 and Taranto at F6,mainly because as you said they seem the only rookies you can hopefully depend on,so yes I'm going with a mid price structure.I have 13 rookies 7 mids and 10 prems.

• Moosehead says:

I have Bowes M/F as my M4. He is a beauty (Great kick) and guaranteed early games. I heard Rocket speak very positively about him. GCS are not a strong team and apparently Gazza will be spending time forward particularly early in the season which gives me even more confidence to pick Bowes on the field and if he can hold some form until his early bye, I will upgrade him to a premium. Easy! (I hope)
      Taranto is also an exceptional talent but in the star studded GWS team, how many games wil he get? Not as many as Bowes.

• neil Demons Delight says:

out of bowes and turner moosehead think your right though

• Burnmen says:

Bowes at M4? Think you mean F4? Either way………..bugger that.

GCS have almost no injuries for the first time in history.

Midfield has just been given more depth with Hanley, Lyons and Barlow.

Good luck with the Bowes pick, you're gonna need it.

• Burnmen says:

Might play forward I guess…….'early games' could mean anything by the way.

• Burnmen says:

To elaborate………..

GCS team won't be released by lockout.

If by some fluke he is named round one, he might play another game weeks later, who really knows.

He's 170K, much better to grab on the bubble due to the previous factors, and when there's guys like Cam Mccarthy or Taranto who are only slightly more and 'seem' to have good JS they are much better options.

• Moosehead says:

Yes Burnman, I meant F4 for Bowes. I don't think Taranto has great job security in the supposed best list in the AFL. I think you will find Rocket likes his boy more than Cameron likes his. Plus Bowes has the huge advantage of M/F. I am sticking with him and good luck to you without him.

• Kev says:

It's a rolling lockout, Burnmen. GC team will be released Friday evening. Can still make unlimited changes after the Rich v Carl match (but not Rich or Carlton players, obviously)

• Patch says:

It is a worry, Lazza. Reckon the backline is safe but beyond that it's terrifying

20. Lazza says:

Forgot to include Stewart…

21. msack20 says:

Need some advice on my team community!

Docherty Shaw Laird Marchbank Hampton Otten (VW Stewart)

Danger Pendles JPK Treloar Fyfe Beams Swallow SPP (Barrett Wigg Parfitt)

Gawn Sandi (Strnadica)

N. Roo Dahl Nank Taranto Pickett Eddy (Butler Cameron)

Thanks guys!

• NickMacMan says:

i think wait to see if spencer is named alongside gawn, if he is then gawn is gone in my books

• Dan says:

Id downgrade a couple of your more expensive premos to a cheaper but still viable premo so u can fit Roughie in for Cameron/Strnadica. Maybe Roo, Docherty, Gawn, to a Greene, Adams, Goldy for example. Then jump on these guys later coz they are priced at their ceiling and should drop. Altho I like the Roo selection, he could really do anything this year on a wing.

22. Holmes_Heroes says:

Nice team Patch. I have gone for a similar set up except Hickey instead of Witts (assuming Longer isn't named round 1) and a rookie instead of Higgins. Was also just going to throw out if people are after a Sydney rookie Melican might be the go, I know he's a key position but could be good to just keep on the bench.

• Patch says:

Cheers Holmes! Will have a gander at Melican!

Hickey close to my side but not risky and pants-seaty enough at this stage!

• Burnmen says:

Aliir and McVeigh coming back soon-ish not sure how that will change their defensive structure……….my guess is Pelican flies away.

23. Jimmy says:

Naiceeeeeeee

24. meph says:

I have buddy at F2 and am quietly confident of a very good season from him.

25. BCHawks says:

After looking at your team Patch and seeing that midfield I did some deep thinking and reset my team and went with a guns and rookies strategy with only 2 mid prices and its the best looking team I've had all year!

26. Derek says:

I just don't see the attraction of Higgins

• Dan says:

If his body had the reliability of a Jim Stynes or Kade Simpson he would've been a good brownlow vote getter. Was seriously skilled when he first came onto the scene.

• Staggerlee says:

Higgins is a Rich. Yuk.

• Walterwhite says:

He would look good in a floral gown, he is quite feminine. So tell me, say u had Toby Nankervis, Shaun Higgins and Barry Stoneham who would you snog, who would you rim and who'd you have in your SC fwd line. Higgo 4 Rimmie for mine.

• Patch says:

His skills are first class, his durability is whatever class dirt would be if it had a class. But not that fancy store-brought dirt, he can't compete with that stuff. He's a risk, yes, But I'm taking it

• Burnmen says:

Is a good player, and was a bargain a couple of years back for 240K.

420K? No way.

• Danv2 says:

Why I'm entertaining taking him is

Looks set to plays Wells' role from last year, he's their classiest midfielder & first time he will play as a pure mid for North, averages 95 playing as a flanker,

It pretty similar to Tuohy for me it's all about role and reliance.

• Shake n bake says:

Wells Boomer Del gone you will see him step up with more midfield time. The only problem is his durability. Im selecting him as a keeper and at 420k im happy with that.

27. NickMacMan says:

Give me a hand boys!

Def- adams, laird, jones, marchbank, hampton, stewart (otten, VW)

Mids- danger, Treloar, fyfe, titch, lloyd, beams, JOM, SPP, (hibberd, parfitt, barret)

Ruck- nank, sandi (Strnadica)

Fwd- Dahl, Macrae, Caddy, rough, steele, pickett (black, eddy)

Rooks will change.

Not sure about touhy, j.hunt or johannisen for the back and ryder, hoskin elliot anf mccarthy for the forwards

Cheers

28. Dan says:

Why do I keep seeing teams with N.Newman? Have I missed something? Also Parfitt (sounds like a french pastry) where is he fitting in cats 22?

• Patch says:

Forgot to drop Newman after the Swans didn't play him. Need to find another bloke, dependant on teams

• Patch says:

Otherwise Ben Long will come in in round 3 and I might start him early?

• Carl says:

Risky I think for Long. As a saints fan he'll play 10+ games for sure this year but not sure they'll start at round 3. Could be one of our first downgrades though.

• Burnmen says:

Parfitt ain't playing. Geelong team won't be named before lockout either. Pick at your own peril.

There is some simple rookie pickijng strategies that people are overlooking this year, but it's purely because of desperation so understandable.

• Andos says:

If Parfitt doesn't play round 1, do you think he'll play early? Not selecting rookies who'll play early can mean missing out on them altogether as you won't want to sideways trade from another rookie and the rookies you do have won't have earned enough to downgrade to them. I think if you're confident enough that a Mid rookie will play not in Round 1 but early you can afford the risk of selecting them. Also gives you an emergency loophole for the opening few weeks.

29. Suttoo says:

DEF: Docherty, Laird, Adams, Ottens, Hampton, Vicker-Wlillis (Newman, Stewart)
    MID: Danger, JPK, THE BONT, Shuey, Fyfe, Titchell, Beams, SPP (Maynard, Wigg, Miles)
    Ruck: Nank, Sandi (Strndica)
    Forward: Dals, Macrae, JK, Picket, Black, Camroon (Smith, Eddy)
    Thoughts
    PSSA

• Jason says:

Like the structure my though would be one mipricer / high priced rooke in the forward line for job security, love the JJK and Shuey picks. And the up and comer picks of Titch and THE BONT

30. Billy says:

Very mid-pricey Patch. Plenty Guns and Rooks avocadoes are goung down this route this year but for mine it isnt the year to do it.

The lack of quality cash cows this year means we will have to be so so careful with our trades. It will probably take more than two rookies to move up to a premium so we may have less to play with than usual.

That means if you end up with a dud mid-pricer then chances are youre stuck with him for a long time. It will be exceptionally difficult to become full-premo just out of the bye weeks as we have in years past, and even more so if youre burning sidewards trades on dud mid-pricers who arent generating cash.

Please, please be careful Patch and all of the community

• Derek says:

Good point Billy. Hard to make cash this year. We may not even get to $13m.

This means buying premiums when they have fallen in price.

• Steve says:

Surely that follows that you shouldn't be starting with a bunch of full price premiums then, but rather go with more value options. Then upgrade to the more expensive players when they fall in price later in the season. You aren't even making sense guys. A lot of these rookies won't make you much cash anyway and most have fairly ordinary job security so you could have a side full of bench zeros in no time. Sorry but more value selections is the way to go in 2017 like Patch is doing.

• Steve says:

Whatcha talkin bout Willis? This is exactly the right season to go with more midpricers. This appear to worst collection of rookies that we've seen in a long while. If you just proceed with guns and rookies regardless you just have your head stuck in the sand for mine. The most important attribute of a Supercoach is to be adaptable and flexible. So I applaud you going this way Patch!

• throttlefinger says:

Agree with you Steve. The quality of the midpricer is key, meaning a fallen premo over a speculative pick. Think this year has a solid selection of the former. You take what they give you and this year midpricers with good scoring histories it is.

• Billy says:

I agree that fallen premos are the way to go. Im more talking about the speculative, breakout picks, such as Marchbank, Tuohy, Nank etc. Trades will be at an absolute premium due to difficulties we will have with cash generation. In previous years you might he able to get out from under a couple of crap ones with corrective trades but this year well likely need most of the 30 just to get full premo.

• throttlefinger says:

Agree in large part, big B. Think this year you need more than usual. And you counter that risk with a stouter than normal mid.

Tuohy is the biggest risk of that bunch. MB is a close second yet feel his role and how busy that Blues backfield will be he should be good for 80-85 and be a quickly fat cow. Nank is relatively low risk as a forward. As a R1, well…

Haven't been playing the game as long as most of you but what I learned is you really just need to be prepared for what is inevitably given. G''R, mid madness and whatever name structure is merely an ideal that can be destroyed during Round 1 selections.

Have about 5 structures and am under no illusion that correctives will probably need to happen. The in-season thinking and adjustments are what make this game so damn great.

• Top Hawk says:

I agree Billy. This is the year of the vultures. In other words, "Pick off" fallen super premos , "Claw" (grab) experienced rookies (150K+) coming out of injury or (any other setbacks) who may generate points and cash. And be as tight as the fish's nun's nasty when it comes to trades.

31. Nick V says:

It seems like Patch amd Lekdog have spent a lot of time consulting each others teams this preseason! Higgins, Simmo similar structures

• Patch says:

We have spent a long time arguing each others' ears off and somehow came to a consensus neither of us would have dared think of early this year – I never wanted to go cheap in the rucks and Lek repeatly said he would disown me if I picked Higgins but here we are haha

32. John says:

Adams, Laird, Simpson or Montagna, I would like 2 or 3 but I don't know who to drop

33. BeaglieBoy says:

Inspired!!!!!!….Inspired by your team Patch, truly…….maybe because it resembled mine a little bit. …..So inspired (deluded?) I tinkered with my team again and ….GULP…..downgraded PENDLEBURY from my team for the first time in 5 years….dropped the Nankilands and went to Nankiwitts and I am ready at the top of the roller coaster for my white knuckled ride to fortune and glory or crash and burn in the attempt…..here is my team

DEF: Simson Shaw Laird Marchbank Hampton Otten ( Stewart Vikers-Willis)

MID: Dangerfield Merrett Treloar Fyfe TMitchell Beams O'Meara Swallow (SPP Barrett Pickett)

Ruck: Sandilands Witts (Smadica)

Fwds :Dahlhaus Higgins Roughhead Nankervis Phillips Taranto (Eddy Butler)

MID PRICE MADNESS

• BeaglieBoy says:

What do people think of my PHILLIPS pick….had 300k or so left and he seemed best mid-pricer…partial breakout contender….or should I go a rookie and spend the money elsewhere?

• MOC says:

Rookie him and move Higgins up to a roo/ buddy/jjk type and bank the rest as you've got a pretty sound team

• Patch says:

I'd move JOM or Swallow up to a midfielder instead. Slightly too much white knuckling for mine, Beaglie! Feel Phillips is a JLT trap

• Abel says:

I like Phillips. Think he'll score well

34. throttlefinger says:

I've always imagined what being a fly on Patch's cerebral wall would be like. This article delightfully and at times frighteningly fulfills that.

I won't comment about Witts because I feel saying that in such a dismissive way snootily says enough. I would suggest a fwd rook on the field. Feel Eddy will be a fine earner. And the savings you could certainly buy some Gold or make your troubles be Gawn.

Sublime write up, my friend. Look forward to locking horns with you this season.

• Patch says:

All the flies on my cerebral wall have PTSD and wake up screaming in the night. I wouldn't want to be one of those.

Witts isn't great, but he is a rookie. A 70 average will do me from him. Anything more would be nice, but I'm not banking on it. If Gawn is named as the solo ruck I might have to try and squeeze him back in.

The feeling is very much mutual – raring to go for my debut in the Throttledome!

• OldOcker says:

MY Biggest plus about your team Patch is that there is no Simpsons reference. That was my biggest fear when I logged on.
        Witts? but you do have cover.
        What a great write up mate, the team is pretty good too.
        Sometimes we tend to over analyse stats and that is why I try and keep them simple.
        I can understand frustration this year in regards to rookies, They will appear throughout the year.

• OldOcker says:

PS: I heard the other day that Spencer will play VFL. Don't ask me where just trust the source of this message.

• Patch says:

I've also heard this from inside Melbourne but will believe it when I see it. Goodwin's comments, however, are very worrying from a SC perspective, and from a purely football sense they've got all their eggs in the Gawn basket, which is dangerous.

• Patch says:

I snuck one in, Ock! "Stupid, sexy midpricers". There was no image for it as I already had enough of those, but rest assured I'd never put up an article without a subtle nod to the Simpsons in there somewher!

Cheers mate! I'm hoping the rookies appear!

35. Callum says:

Beams and Taranto or swallow and o'meara

36. MARK says:

Great job Patch. Love the 2-4 structure in DEF. Going the same way myself, although really wanted to throw Lloyd into the mix at D3 ….. oh well. Not convinced on Witts at R2, but tough times call for tough decisions. Good luck for the season.

My current team ….. aka Version 28 –
    DEF : Adams, Laird, Marchbank, Hampton, EVW, Stewart, Hibberd (NM), Guthrie
    MID : Danger, Treloar, JPK, Fyfe, Cripps, Titch, Beams, SPP, Barrett, Parfitt, Pickett
    RUC : Goldy, Sandi, Cameron
    FWD : Saint Nick, Dahlhaus, Greene, Roughy, Taranto, Butler, Eddy, Strnadica

At least until ver 29

• Patch says:

Cheers Mark! Don't like Witts at R2 either but not much I can do about it! I'm not sold on Greene but if he pays off diggidy damn he'll go well. Love the Titch pick

37. TheGreatBozza says:

At the moment I'm running with 3 lineups all pending rookies. As in the podcast I think it's smart to be prepared to avoid the donuts.

I do have a question from about which combos are better:

1. Adams and JOM (3-0-3 in DEF, making JOM my M7, Beams is M6)
    Or
    2. Marchbank and Selwood (2-0-4 in DEF, making Beams my M7

38. Steve says:

Thoughts on this team community, still unsure with my F3. I will also be selecting Gawn IF Spencer isnt named round one.

DEF: Shaw, Laird, Tuohy, Marchbank, Hampton, Hibberd( Otten, Stewart)

MID: Danger, Treloar, Gray, Cripps, Fyfe, Beams, Omeara, SPP ( Barrett, Parfitt, Bolton)

Ruck: Grundy, Sandy ( Strnacida)

FWD: Dahl, McCrae, Greene, Roughy, Taranto, Pickett ( Houston and Eddy)

I have $100 in the bank which is abit concerning.

All comments are welcome.

• Patch says:

I'm not sold on Macrae as a pick, Gray's bye worries me too much (I'm looking at picking him up in round 10) and Cripps is underdone after back problems – but as long as you're across those three you look ready to go!

39. AMAC says:

AAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
    Ouch, my eyeballs {(Ralph)}.
    7 mid pricers!!!
    7!
    Patch get a grip mate. Surely not after all the hard work you have done this pre-season.

• Patch says:

If the rookies were there, I'd be picking them. But they aren't, so mid pricers it is. I've sent a letter off to the Herald Sun asking for a bigger starting salary but they said very mean things in their response so I'm sort of stuck.

• AMAC says:

Champagne comedy again Patch! I like it, but 7 mid pricers, Bl00dy hell! Now I don't want to "out" anyone, it would be to my detriment. However, the rookies, if you look hard enough, this year, they are definitely there! The mid price strategy, I agree, provides a number of options also, nevertheless, I think that you can only take 5 at ABSOLUTE maximum! Patch you are going against everything you believe in. Be strong mate.

• Patch says:

Thanks for your support AMAC, it means… *wipes tear from eye* it means a lot to me. I'm just going through a tough time with the midpricers and *chokes up* it's nice to have so much support.

There's still plenty of time for a few changes if they do emerge

• BlakeyP says:

Well it depends on the way you look at it. I see 5 mid pricers of those 5 3 are fallen prems amd the only 2 are in the forward line which is the hardest like to pick im 2017. Witts and Marchbank are expensive rookie and that is how they should be treated

40. Derek says:

Didn't see this team coming from you Patch.

One of the best articles of the pre season was your effort regards " Why do Mid Pricers Suck"

You really need to read that again!!!!

• Don't blush Baby says:

Yes,me agree with Derek here mate

• Valens_FC says:

In poker it's called being on tilt…. impossible that the author of that article could be fielding this team! But that's what happens when emotions grab hold – tilt.

There's still time to right the ship Patch!

• Patch says:

This is absolutely my side… at the time of writing. I'd wager one or two players might change, but there is no tilt running here, Valens! Would I do that to the community?

• Valens_FC says:

Glad to hear it :) The community is definitely indebted for all the hard work and sharing of the journey.

Think everyone is a bit too negative on rookies. Let's see selections for round 1. Witts a risk too far in my view. Can see u giving up one of the forward mid pricers to updgrade in the ruck – will be interesting to see how things develop from time of writing to round 1 :)

• Patch says:

As I just said to AMAC, if the rookies were there, I'd be picking them. But they aren't, so mid pricers it is. Beams, Roughead, Sandi are all fallen premos who have been to the top, so I feel are a bit different.

On top of that, I'd had factual inaccuracies pointed out from that article – I missed Robbie Gray, Sam Docherty and quite a few players who I'd forgotten were injured – I'd go back and done a re-write if I had the time! They still suck, but not as much as I first thought

41. Patch says:

Love me some Buddy. May go him over dahl. Lock him away!

Feel Prid will be lifted by Smitch

42. IntheNickofTime says:

Simpson Laird Lloyd
    Marchbank Hampton VW Newman Stewart

Dangerfield JJK
    Selwood Treloar Priddis
    Fyfe Swallow SPP Barrett Hibberd Bolton

Grundy Sandilands Srtndica

Roo Dahlhaus Gunston
    Taranto Pickett Houston T.Smith Eddy

Am I a little thin in the FWDs? Unsure on Grundy, Marchbank and Swallow.

Still playing around with Gawn, Z Williams, Sidebottom and T Mitch.Is Stef Martin a No No this season?

• Patch says:

Houston and Smith very much up in the air as to if they'll be picked, let alone score well – would look at Dan Butler from Richmond, who'll score terribly but is locked in for 5 or 6 games. Other than that, you should be alright up there

43. Abel says:

Great team patch. Looking similar here. Reminds me of that fat man I used to ride to work.

44. Finnius123 says:

Ok so I am considering selecting a backline of Simpson, Docherty, Marchbank (Blues) and Laird, Hampton, Otten (Crows). It fits well with my bye structure perfectly (It is actually what makes it work), however the thing I am wondering is whether the distribution of points is going to be OK. Simpson and Doch are both quality backmen and every team is going to have either one of them, so why not have both?Marchbank is an elevated rookie but he has security, hampton likewise. Laird is a lock for me and otten is shaping up to be a decent rookie with scoring potential.

What do you guys reckon?

• Jake says:

I think you'll be generally right. Put it this way, even when Carlton get flogged Simmo and Doch still find a way to score, they have no issue doing it tandem. If you can fit both that's great. Laird is another that has great scoring potential, even in losses.

As for Marchbank, he's looking like he'll play the 2016 Weitering role across half back.
      I would say he looks like working to a low 70s average this year. Basement might be a bit low in big losses is the only thing.

And for the likes of Hampton and Otten I wouldn't worry too much as everybody is going to be in the same position; They'll be fielding Hampton and a rookie (likely Otten).

I guess what I'm saying is the likelihood of you suffering if Carlton or Adelaide get belted is minimal, and the fact most of your picks are quite common mean you won't slide down rankings or face poor h2h matchups.

• Patch says:

Beautiful stuff Jake – completely agree with this. I don't think it's a huge worry, Finnius – the rooks will likely be gone by the byes anyway. Crows won't lose many early, and Blues will, which will get the ball down the right end for defender scoring.

45. Northerner says:

I like the structure and has me thinking. Rucks dictate the rest of the team. I have the same ruck structure. If Cameron is named I'll probably add him at R3 and use O Junker as my loophole on the mid bench.

Other than that, compared to your team I'm one prem mid short in mid with Oliver, Steele in Fwd and one more cheap rookie which allowed Adams and Howe/Lloyd in defence.

46. Swans2012 says:

I'm running a similar structure patch so I like it obviously, not as deep in mids, but Gawn still part of my team (just), and an extra defender premo. Forward line nearly identical, but I've got Steele instead of Higgins, though it's line ball between the hig, steel and roughy for f3/4. I could almost take them all…..I ended up deciding swallow on field for an extra 80k was a better bet than witts, but this could change yet……

47. Bravis Toak says:

I think in a season where we are all being forced to be risky (love it!), the safest risk (?), is to go Nankilands.

Nankiwitts without cover is insane!

48. warlord says:

What ya think fellas

Shaw Adams laird
    Mills Hampton hibberd
    (Scharenberg stewart )

Danger Neale treloar
    M crouch gaff beams
    Taranto SPP
    (Barnett picket parfitt)

Grundy n vardy (English)

JK dahihaus green
    Begley eddy Steele
    (Black Butler)

49. Camo says:

Need a few more teams for league. Please come and join.
    Supercoach 549750
    Dreamteam 255823
    AFL Fantasy VVCZJA72

50. Phil says:

A little tip for everyone out there for your backline. Richmond & Carlton has a a lot of options down there that are going to be locked away before all teams come out.
    So, if you are like me and have your Rucks & Mids locked in (at least structurally) and just waiting on rookies to see if you go an extra premium FWD or BACK you might wanna consider this.
    I'm running 3 defenders ATM but will change to 4 if there is a lack of rookies. My 4th, 5th & 6th option would be Simpson, Docherty & Rance so instead of being caught out Im gonna throw one of these guys into my 3.

• Northernsoul74 says:

You'd need a spare $500k to just chuck in a 4th premium defender at the last minute.

• Phil says:

A FWD premium would become a rookie instead. Just the old switcheroo if more FWD rookies present themselves Thursday/Friday night than DEF ones.

51. Juzzy says:

Always love your articles Patch.
    Your team reveal has shone a very bright light on the SC terrain we will navigate this year.

Is it better to get a guaranteed mid pricer in the best 22 and make 100 or so grand (and generate points) or a speculative rookie who may be dropped before round 3.

I dunno know but I think your team may put you up the pointy end should some of the popular rookies get dropped early on.

And Simpsons reference re lack of rookies … Skinner wooing Patty "isn't it nice we both hate the same things" .

Hahaha that's a classic.

Cheers mate! Wish I shared your conviction that it could get to the pointy end, but it's just scary and confusing no matter which way you look at it! As long as the backline rookies don't fall over, in which case I'm f'd

52. Brad says:

Would love some feedback on my team. Been researching for a while now, Rucks doing my head in but pretty set in stone on this team, only thing that will change is rookies when teams are announced.
    DEF: S.Docherty H.Shaw T.Adams C.Hampton A.Otten E.Vickers-Willis (M.Hibberd T.Stewart)

MID: P.Dangerfield S.Pendlebury J.Kennedy A.Treloar N.Fyfe D.Beams J.O'Meara S.Powell-Pepper (J.Barrett J.Pickett B.Parfitt)

RUC: P.Ryder A.Sandilands (L.Strnadica)

FWD: J.Kennedy L.Dahlhaus L.Macrae S.McKernan T.Taranto D.Butler (D.Houston B.Eddy)

Still unsure whether to go JJK or L.Franklin in the forward line and i feel a little bit weird leaving Roughead out.
    Would love the communities thoughts

• Davo says:

Nice team, but why is no one going Gawn. Yeah he's pricey but that's because he's about to become the number 1 SuperCoach player. Last season was a taste of what's to come

• Clock Management says:

He is sharing the ruck with Spencer, His average has to and will come down, I still think he will be a top 3 ruck but the points difference between a Gawn and Midpricer won't be that great therefore you can make up the points with the Saved cash.

• Brad says:

Still undecided with what I want to do with the rucks. Will all depend on teams

• Tiger Man says:

I have gone Franklin just because he's a little more consistent than JJK. JJK will give you a 150 one week and a 35 the next, however if overall ranking is your priority then it should even itself out. Both will be top 8 IMO.

53. Suttoo says:

DEF: Docherty, Laird, Adams, Ottens, Hampton, Vicker-Wlillis (Newman, Stewart)
    Ruck: Nank, Sandi (Strndica)
    Forward: Dals, Macrae, JKK, Picket, Taronto, Camroon (Smith, Eddy)
    Thoughts
    Should i fit pendles in

54. Tommo09 says:

Riewoldt or Dahl?
    And will Jaeger get rested?

55. Spuds says:

Cam McCarthy vs tim Taranto ?????

56. INPieman says:

Never before has a 236k ruck had so much SC relevance that will be in pretty much no ones side. Structures centered around the Spencer selection. Spencergate

57. INPieman says:

Patch I had a 2-0-6 structure before JLT 3. But after there was no sign of Ryan & Newman I've gone back to 3-0-5. I see Sandiwitts as a contingency if the rookie offerings in round 1 are worse than we expect. I like the midfield & forward line. Hurry up team sheets I'm over the preseason

58. Troy says:

Def: Tuohy, S.Wellingham, Jones, Marchbank, Hampton, Otten. (EVW, Stewart)

Mid: Zorko, Ward, Fyfe, Hall, Gaff, J.Kelly, Beams, Oliver. (Horlin-smith, SPP, Picket)

Ruc: Ryder, Sandi. (Cameron)

Fwd: Green, Higgins, Billings, Nank, Steele, T.Phillips. (S.Mckernan, Eddy)

Any suggestions…??

• Tiger Man says:

Very unique team but I don't see any premiums you have as top 10 selections in their position, besides Fyfe and maybe Greene

• INPieman says:

Was that an Auto fill team? Not enough speculative mid pricers for mine. You'll be needing your 30 trades if you role out with that line up. But if the stars allign one week you could win the weekly prize

• Troy says:

After looking at so many teams on JR plus watching the (confused) punters mulling over the same players this year I thought why not change it up… All my players are positive geared so yes I'll need all my trades but I'll definitely be ready for finals! My players will have greater value to being in new rookies plus I'm also playing in a cash league.. High risk versus huge reward.. :))

• INPieman says:

This looks like to team of the JLT 2017. I'm all but certain a lot of those selections will leave you disappointed. And as tiger man said your seriously lacking top 10 players who will punish you. Your actually punting on most of the best players in the comp to fall off a cliff. Good luck

• Lazza says:

Hey Troy, not sure why you would go with Tuohy as your D1… he is no where near a keeper … might be replacing Enright but he's not as good. Enright only averaged over 100 once in the past 6 seasons. His 6 year average was 95. Enright was also in a better team.
      To add to that, Marchbank basically replaces Tuohy in Carlton's team.. but not as good as Tuohy.
      Think about adding Shaw or Laird or Simpson or Howe.

• Troy says:

All players will be traded if they don't perform. 30 Trades will sort out the boys from the men. If by chance the guys picked kick on I'll expect plenty of cash later in the year. It's the long game strategy given I'm playing in a cash league. I'll be cash rich when Danger and the like drop in price. There's always brake threw players every year, hopefully I've picked a few here then only a few adjustments away from bringing home the bacon… High risk high gain. After looking at Crouching Tigers team reveal I'm killing it….. lol

• Troy says:

All players will be traded if they don't perform. 30 Trades will sort out the boys from the men. If by chance the guys picked kick on I'll expect plenty of cash later in the year. It's the long game strategy given I'm playing in a cash league. I'll be cash rich when Danger and the like drop in price. There's always brake (through) players every year

59. Steeeve says:

Would love just one more viable mid rookie! Currently have SPP, Barrett and Hibberd. Would rather get rid of Jaeger and Swallow, one up one down, for a more pure GnR set up. Any ideas?

60. korza says:

Anyone having problems with the S/C site ?

61. TheGreatBozza says:

These pre lockout nerves are getting to me. I keep telling myself to wait to see which rookies play but I'm worried I could be caught out as my current lineup has no expensive rookies (Marchbank or Taranto) and no cash in bank. Which combo is best to bring in some extra cash:

1. Lloyd & Roo – 83,000 bank

2. Shaw & Buddy – 2,000 bank

3. Shaw & Roo, no Marchbank or Taranto – 20,000 bank

Thanks community

62. wombatsfc says:

Looks good patch but I don't understand your M8. What sort of scores did SPP put up over JLT? Do you think that he'll have a bit more time to dispose of the ball in the real stuff and therefore ave above 50? Do you think that 50-60 is acceptable for M8?

63. Reece says:

How many games do people think Taranto will play

64. DanV2 says:

With all this mid priced talk I'm surprised Thurlow hasn't come up more, certainly awkwardly priced but locked in best 22, I think an 80ave is realistic which makes about 180k by his bye. Feeling like he's a better option than Marchbank though have neither at this stage.

• John James says:

I'm glad someone brought Thurlow up I have been looking at both him and Marchbank for D4 for a while and notice nearly everyone has Marchbank,I'm finding it hard to split them.

• wombatsfc says:

You blokes should read a few more posts here before you finalise your teams here's something that you obviously missed
      Thurlow's history
      "in his best year ever he pumped out three sub 50's, SEVEN sub 60's, and only five scores above 80"
      2013 4 games rnd 7,8,9,11 then Injury ave 66
      2014 4 games rnd 6,injury then rnd 21,22,23 ave 57
      2015 19 games rnd 6-23 ave 70
      2016 collided with a bag of fairy floss when entering the ground for first NAB game, out for season ave 0.00

Unless he comes with a warranty and 'free trade to replace' guarantee I wouldn't even suggest him to my exwife

• John James says:

Thank's for that wombatsfc I find your comments very useful most of the time,I had decided on Marchbank for D4 and this makes me feel better for it.

65. NickMacMan says:

are people still thinking lloyd will have a breakout year?

• Steeeve says:

Not me. Too many mid-pricers in that backline for mine, they can't all have break out years. Yet people are high on Lloyd, Mills, Rampe. Throw in McVeigh too. How many footballs you think there will be each game?

• SCaddict says:

Depends on how you define a breakout year. I think he's more than capable of increasing his average by 5-15pts which would see him in the mix to finish a top 10 defender. His durability has been top notch so far too.

He has been on an upward trajectory in his first 3 seasons and as Lek mentioned in his team reveal article Lloyd produced premium output in both the AFL finals as well as JLT, so the signs look very promising. Like all midpricers there is some attached risk but he does seem to offer value for the spend. His Rd11 bye could be problematic for some team structures though.

66. The Stiv says:

Interrupted preseason with shoulder surgery is a worry.

67. John says:

1. Thurlow, swallow and Taranto
    Or
    2. A 120k defence rookie like Stewart / melican, mzungu and Roughead.
    Or
    3. Stewart/ melican, o'meara and roughhesd

68. Daniel says:

Really need help choosing

Option 1
    Shaw, Pendles, Taranto in the middle and McCarthy down forward

Option 2

Adams, treleor, swallow and then Taranto down forward

• @t_woof says:

I'd go with Option 2 Daniel.

I don't think Adams and Treloar will be that far behind Shaw and Pendles combined.

Then Swallow and Taranto will more than compensate the difference.

I think you could arguably get the same type of output from an Eddy as you would with McCarthy for a cheaper price. And of course i think Swallow easily scores better than McCarthy for you.

Hope that helps mate.

69. John says:

2 more cash generation with swallow over McCarthy

70. Dank Memes says:

Def: Laird, Howe, Marchbank, C. Hampton, E. Vickers-Willis, T. Stewart, Z. Guthrie, A. Otten

Mid: P. Dangerfield, J. Kennedy, L. Parker, J. Selwood, R. Sloane, N. Fyfe, T. Adams, S. Powell-Pepper, j Barret, M. Hibberd, R. Fox

RUC: M. Gawn, A. Sandilands, B, Preuss

FWD: J. Kennedy, L. Dahlhaus, J. Roughead, T. Nankervis, A. Black, B. Eddy, J.Pickett, D. Houston

What do you think?

71. Tiger says:

Just having a lazy Sunday morning catching up on reading everyone's posts. Love reading all your thoughts. I very rarely post but thought I should throw something up for the community to think about, as it stands out a mile to me. Many people have Taylor Adams. Last 5 years has played 15-16-12-18-14???

• TheGreatBozza says:

It's a big risk, but I'm willing to take it. Can easily average 100+

• Kev says:

Something I've been pretty vocal about myself, Tiger. Depends where you take your risks. It would be very brave to go in with Adams, Sandi, Jaegar and/or Swallow

• Tiger says:

That's right Kev , I've already got Beams, Omera, Sandi, & Roughy, but at least there at discounted prices and they can all average 100 or more except for Roughy. I've gone for Laird instead of Adams who is a little better games wise as last four years he played 18-16-21-17. I like him, had, had him last 2 yrs but let me down last year with injury some very ordinary games. He's not set in my team yet. Cheers

• Noosecard says:

Why go Adams when u can have Rance

• @t_woof says:

Agree with you Tiger. That's the reason why i won't start with him, durability.

I'm pretty settled on Shaw and Rance D1 and D2. And pending rookies Laird/Lloyd D3.

• The Ranger says:

I'm gonna risk it as he's had a really good preseason and I don't have Sandi, Beams or JOM.
        No too often you get someone who's playing pure mids that you can stick in ya backline.

• @t_woof says:

That's a fair call Ranger. If you don't have much risk elsewhere, then worth a punt for sure.

Was presuming most had two of Beams, Sandilands and JOM.

72. Steve says:

Interesting team Patch! Ballsy selection with Witts but it looks like you've got enough security with the Tank at F5. Not completely sold on Marchbank especially with myself picking a number of players coming off LTI's I think the risk v reward is not good enough at that price.

Finally think Ive found some satisfaction in my team and Id love to know the communitys thoughts and feelings.

B: Laird, Howe, Lloyd, Hampton, EVW, Newman (Smith, Stewart)
    M: Danger, Fyfe, Hanners, Selwood, Treloar, Beams, JOM, SPP (Barrett, Hibberd, Parfitt)
    R: Nank, Sandi (Strnadica)
    F: Roo, JPK, Dahl, Rough, WHE, Taranto (Cameron, Eddy)

73. the nank says:

Dan Butler will make his debut round 1

74. Mitch says:

Cam Mcartney, Horlin a Smith Or Muzngi?

75. Jordan says:

Butler or parrfit assuming they both start round one

76. dizzle says:

roughy or caddy? both similar in price, big potential for both.
    caddy DPP but roughy probs more likely to score bigger numbers? thoughts?

77. Top Hawk says:

Hi Community,

A bit of news on Harley Balic. He played yesterday for Peel Thunder in the WAFL. (Peel defeated East Perth too by the way at Leederville oval) Balic was reported to be one of Peel Thunder's best. He ended up 30 disposals, which included 16 kicks, and 14 handballs. Took two marks and laid 2 tackles. Not sure of his D/E but got plenty of the footy. Good chance to be selected for round one to replace Hayden Ballantyne. Griffin Logue is also a chance to be named for his debut after racking up 17 disposals, with 5 marks and 3 tackles. Welcome.

78. Jess_Coach says:

Im illustrating my high testecular fortutude with some big POD risks. We all know Ablett, Goldy and Rockliff are the best if they can somehow reach the levels they have. Yolo

Docherty, shaw, adams, hampton, otten, vickers, (stewart, hibberd)

Dangerfeild, Ablett, Kennedy, treloar, rockliff, fyfe, omeara, powell-p, (wigg, miles, parfitt)

Goldstein, Sandilands (strdnca)

Dalhouse, Mcrae, Nankervis, taranto, pickett, butler (eddy, housten).

• Jess_Coach says:

Theres nothing quite like having ablett and rockliff as pods. It could just be the edge needed to win, which im happy to take

• Steeeve says:

Huge risk but possibly a HUGE reward. Ablett my only concern is he will either:
        a) underperform/get injured
        or
        b) dominate and everyone else will pick him up after that round 9 bye

79. sc tragic says:

Totally unrelated but are there any experts here who can tell me why today when I try to make a trade my whole team clears.

80. sc tragic says:

Thanks gator, seems like HS glitch

81. @t_woof says:

Any Richmond fans around that could provide some insight on Dan Butler please?

Can he keep a spot in the team long enough to accrue cash? Thanks.

Getting the feeling some of these rooks could get stuck on 1 or 2 games; Butler, Houston, Parfitt, EVW, Hibberd, Barrett.

• Derek says:

Otten will

Thinking of starting Berry instead of Otten

• Kev says:

Has speed which the Tigers are after. Not a big gatherer of the pill as we saw in JLT. Uses it well. His role will be to be a pest in the forward 50. Interesting to see who will be left out when the teams drop.

Reckon Butler will need to make his mark early because Lennon kicked a bag last week. If the Tigers are struggling to score Dimma will give him a shot

• @t_woof says:

That's what worries me Kev, if he can't make his mark early could be stuck on my bench doing diddly squat and have made zero cash. Good point re Lennon. High Draft Pick, will get a run if kicking goals in VFL.

Thanks for your insight mate, much appreciated.

Bring on Thursday teams!

82. Sammy Boy says:

Hey community, Thinking of running a midfield duo (JPK and Hanners, Selwood and Danger, or pendlebury). Will have danger JPK and Pendles regardless, but wondering which other mid above should join them?

83. phil says:

What does yolo mean?? Nice team

84. Ryan says:

Is there a jock reynolds supercoach group?

85. Seb says:

I've been considering nankilands for a while now, but have just thought that what really that wrong with goldy and Gawn?
    1) it's not like goldy and Gawn are going to drop completely and not be top ruckman by the end of the year unless they get a a bad injury.
    2) there superstars we know that and so do their coaches, I can see their coaches trying new things like preuss and spencer to give them a go so they can be experienced so that when the time comes that goldy and Gawn are gone they can come into the team, but also how can these coaches be that stupid to take out the influence of the two best ruckman in the league for more than a few games.
    3) I know Gawn will probably go down in price but what I'm saying is he will still be one of the top Ruckmans comes years end and so will goldy because they are true guns so why not save two trades to get these guys in and start with them both with confidence because we know there proven guns and guys like nankervis is not proven and could be a huge trap, and sandi could get injured any moment despite his great pres season.
    This is just my opinion and I might only start with one of these guys but what I'm saying is that at the end of the year I still think they will remain at least the top 3 ruckman in the league.

• The Ranger says:

It's that trade equation that worries me most Seb.
      You've got to take risks somewhere I know but if a low priced player in the ruck goes down or isn't performing there's not much else to trade to and you could easily end up with a donut or having to burn a couple of trades whereas if a low priced player in any other line goes down you can at least be pretty confident of being able to find another player to slot in.

86. Tony says:

Ok guys, this is close to what I am going to roll with.
    Risk – Nankilands
    Break out – Lloyd
    Fallen premo – Watson, Beams.
    Tried to sta GnR as much as I could.

Doch,Simpson,Laird,Lloyd,Hampton,Otten
    (Stewart,Long)
    Danger,Fyfe,Treloar,Bont,Tmitch,Watson,Beams,Spo
    (Parfitt,Barrett,Hubbard)
    Nankilands
    (Strnadica)
    Dahl,Macrae,Gunston,Butler,Houston,Eddy
    (Pickett,Smith)

Think I might also be too light in forward line.
    Would love to hear your thoughts, the good, the bad and the ugly !

Cheers,
    Tony

87. harry says:

so need some opionons..
    DEF: LLoyd or tuohey??

MIDS: Crouch or TMitch??

FWD: Roughy or Steele??

88. Tiger Man says:

Need some fresh opinions, thanks guys

JPK and Witts or Tmitch and Nank
    Docherty or Simpson

89. Stompers says:

Give us your thoughts on Jobe Watson,

Thinking of putting him in the mids at M6.

Cheers

• The Ranger says:

Brave pick Stompers, tooth length and absence from the game worries me too much to pick him.
      NIce price tho and if he gets going it could work out as a stepping stone if nothing else as he should at least hold his price if not go up a bit.

• Holty says:

Discussed a few days ago. Only has had 2 keeper years and they were the questionable years at Essendon. If he was 400k i may consider him but not at his price

90. Joe says:

Thoughts community? The latest of many updates for my team. Have $15k left and chopping and changing over Grundy and Hickey, Mitchell and Bont, and Lynch and Macrae.

Whether Hickey is named as the lone ruckman will determine whether I go with him or not.

DEF: Shaw Adams Laird Marchbank Hampton Otten (EVW Stewart)

MID: Danger JPK Treloar Fyfe T.Mitchell Beams JOM SPP (Barrett Hibberd Parfitt)

RUC: Grundy Sandi (Cameron)

FWD: Dahlhaus Lynch Rough Nankervis Taranto Pickett (Houston Eddy)

91. Alonzo says:

out of Hanners, Pendles, Treloar and Selwood which 2 should i take?

92. Jack says:

Titchell or the Bont?

93. Top Hawk says:

G'day Tony.

Not a bad side at all. I do believe (like you say) you are quite light in the forward line. IMO you can rectify this by running with a 2 super premo, Lloyd and 3 rookie backine. (Take either the Doc, Simmo, or Laird out, and replace with a EVW, Newman or Marchbank type. Whilst we are on the backline, I assume you are using Ben Long as a loophole option? (Suspended first 2 rounds) Abeit being a bit risky and could backfire, it may not be a bad strategy. His JLT form was good he will likely be selected for round 3 and save you a trade to get him in.
    With the $350K saved in your backline, this cash could be used to turn Houston into a Roughead or Jack Steele in your forward line. I think by doing this, your overall team structure would look a bit more balanced. I don't mind the Watson fallen premo POD pick. He will be fit, ultra motivated to redeem himself, and at a bargain price. Lastly, try to squeeze in Taranto if you can in place of Parfitt.(Dodgy job security) Coniglio is out for 6 to 8 weeks and should open up a spot for Taranto. The kid has huge wraps on him and has played very well in JLT.

Good luck!

• Tony says:

Thanks Top Hawk, I have made those adjustments and team looks far better balanced. Went with Steele !

Cheers Tony

94. Derek says:

The rookies will appear…. the rookies will appear……<gently rocking back and forth>

I feel like Bart Simpson at Kamp Krusty waiting for Krusty the Clown to visit. Patch, you will know exactly what I mean……

Problem is, Barny turned up instead dressed like Krusty……..

They will come. ….Just like Oxley and MacIntosh, Tippa and Paps.

• @t_woof says:

Let's hope so Derek, let's hope so! It's all starting to do my head in. I got to the stage today, where i just had to log out and close spreadsheets and internet tabs.

I've been very bloody ordinary the past two seasons, so need to bounce back. This rookie situation is definitely not helping. It keeps luring me back to the mid pricers :(

95. Scotty C says:

Priddis and Rance
    OR
    Howe and Dusty

96. Chris says:

Hey community, looking to join a couple leagues. Could ya please chuck some codes, cheers! Finished top 2k last year.

97. Mike says:

Hanners or Selwood

98. #NANKFORPM says:

Hey Patch
    Im also tunning sandi-witts as rucks love the selections great stepping stones but can i get thoughts on the following.

Thoughts on Fanta boy (fantasia)?

Do i run with roughy or GC Lynch a f3 after Roo Dahl and nank at f4?

Cheers

• #NANKFORPM says:

Decided to post full side thoughts.

Simmo Shaw Laird Lloyd hampton hibberd- otten EVW.

danger pendles hanners priddis fyfe beams SPP barret

Bench rooks undecided in mid.

Sandi witts -strndica
      Roo dahl lynch nank taranto picket long eddy

Thoughts guys?

Cheers,
      NANK4PM

99. Keenbutclueless says:

See Garland out for the year. Does it give TSmith a chance to be upgraded? Was ok in JLT. Might be D8.

100. Thomas says:

Priddis and Macrae OR JJK and Sloane/Bont

101. Seb says:

not sure if I'm reading to much into this and I know if Peru's and daw play this might change this.
    but goldys averages for the last 6 years he's averaged under 110 one year and then the year after he averaged over 112 and last year he averaged under 110 so I'm just saying if history repeats itself….. goldy could be in for a good year

• Billy says:

Will be my R1 if he's picked on his own for that reason Seb. But it looks unlikely at this stage

• Seb says:

Same billy, I reckon either Gawn or goldy or even both will end up being top rucks at the end of the year even with preuss and spencer.

102. the nank says:

How much are we backing Grundy and Marchbank to average?

103. Ross says:

What do you guys recon

DEF:Simpson,Adams,Laird,Thurlow,Hampton,VW (Otten,Stewart)

MID:Danger,JPK,Treloar,Fyfe,Kelly(GWS),Beams,JOM,SPP (Barrett,Hibberd,Parfitt

RUCK:Hickey,Sandi (Preuss)

FOR:Riewoldt,Dahlhaus,Roughead,Nankervis,Taranto,Pickett
    66k in the bank
    Any improvements?????

104. Randomcliche2 says:

Okay so option 1:
    Laird and O'mera at D3 and M7
    OR
    Rocky and Marchbank at M4 and D4
    Which pair will a)score more and b) gain more cash?

Thanks community!

105. Pan says:

Hey all

what are your thoughts with my team?

• wombatsfc says:

I like it, it acts as a metaphor for your intelligence

• Russ in W.A says:

[email protected]….What team? hahah

106. Pete says:

Hey all

what are your thoughts with my team?

Ive been chopping and changing, my brains almost fried but i think ive got close to what i want

DEF: Dockerty, Shaw, Laird, Marchbank, Otten, Hampton ( Vicker- Willis, Stewart)

MID: Dangerfield, bontampelli, Fyfe, Lewis, Beams, Watson, Jaeger Omeara, D. Swalllow ( powell- pepper, hibberd, barrett)

RUC: Goldstein Sandilands (Cameron)

FWD: Dahlhaus, buddy, Rough, stelle, black, pickett (Houston Eddy)

107. Andy says:

G'day Community!

My first post for the season. I have a couple of questions…

1. Rory Sloane- hasn't played any JLT games but we know he scores well in Adelaide. They play quite a few games there early on so I'm tempted. Thoughts?

2. Scott Pendlebury- I've started with the great man for the past 4 years. He had an injury going into round 1 last year which impacted his scoring. Do you think he has recovered from his current injury and ready to go?

3. Andy McGrath- there was a lot of love for him pre JLT. Are people going off JLT form and not picking him? I think with more games he'll adjust to the pace and score well for a rookie.

Cheers!

108. Weatherbeaten says:

New to SC. when does SC start. Round 1 or 2? and if round 2, what happens to the round 1 SC scores?

• SCaddict says:

Overall ranks and the race for the $50K starts straight away i.e. Rd1. The majority of classic H2H leagues don't commence until Rd3.

• Weatherbeaten says:

Gee thanks. I thought it was perhaps round 2. Why the late start?

• SCaddict says:

Just the way SC likes to roll. Means in 18 team leagues that SC finals start in Rd20 with the granny in Rd23. A couple of years ago they tried a Rd22 GF but reverted back to the Rd23 GF format last season.

109. Croctears says:

Has Adams had his M/D double the last five years? He appears injury prone! What injuries has he sustained? I have Rance but could swap for Adams if I have the balls, but Rance is a very safe bet but as Derek wrote you should take a genuine mid named as M/D.

110. Tony says:

It's becoming part of the folklore here that North has no midfield following last season's clean-out. Strange really, since Petrie and Firrito never played midfield, NDS played half back pretty much his whole time at North and Boomer rarely attended centre bounces in the last 3 seasons.

Ziebell, Cunnington, Swallow, Dumont and Clarke are the pure midfielders and they go OK. The rotations mix will include Higgins (I picked him too), Atley, Thomas, Hrovat, Gibson, Turner and a couple of the younger guys. Will hold their own with most this season.

• Russ in W.A says:

No offence but how many North Melbourne midfielders do you see in anyone's Supercoach Teams?

• Burnmen says:

I think he is referring to the fact people are picking Higgins in hope of a larger SC output due to increased mid time. I'd keep hoping.

• Davis says:

They did lose their classiest midfielder in Wells so let's not forget that. You know the guy who helped them win 9 straight games to start the season last year. So Higgins is the guy who has the most polish with his disposal to replace him out of that motley crew you mentioned. It's about filling voids baby and Higgo is the man if he can stay healthy.

111. Fiddler says:

Has Adams had his M/D status the last five years? He appears injury prone! What injuries has he sustained? I have Rance but could swap for Adams if I have the balls. Derek and Co. write he is a must have!

• Russ in W.A says:

Rance is more reliable, except for the odd dumbass indescretion where he gets a suspension, Adams has a bit of an injury history, but could score more per week if he stays on the track. I think this is the 1st year Adams has dual position.

112. general says:

Good day community,
    Don't really rate myself as a super coach expert, however this year I feel this is a strong outfit heading into round one. If you have a thought on it share it with me.. cheers.

DEF: Shaw, Johannisen, J.Lloyd, Marchbank, Hampton, Otten (T. Stewart, Z.Guthrie)
    MID: Danger, JPK, Bont, Fyfe, Beams, JOM, Swallow, SPP (Barrett, M. Hibberd, Wigg)
    RUC: Martin, Sandi (Witts)
    FWD: Dahlhaus, Lynch, Greene, Nank, Taranto, McCarthy (Pickett, Eddy)

*$136,600 left.

Peace

113. Tibor says:

Agree 100% on Sandi, I'm still keen on big max even if spencer plays. Max won't spend much time parked on the bench they move him deep forward where he has shown he can mark and goal they just move hogan up to get him more involved and max is deep. They used Pederson and even watts into ruck roles last year Gawn never full on does ruck for the full game and his scores were good… different story for stef Martin when Archie plays though

• Blue says:

I'm sorry mate but thats the stupidest thing ive heard today. Pederson and Watts rucked for 6-7% game time Spencer will be at very least be rucking 30% if not 35%. I may still pick Gawn but your point is invalid.

• neil Demons Delight says:

Obviously don't follow Dees Watts was rucking for dees against port and did well. Spencer not in Gawns league and will not get a third ruck time May play play early but Tibors correct watts and Pederson will ruck so will Spencer at Casey Goodwin likes pencil but he knows too well theres a reason why he played zero games last year .He accepted a one year contract to be Gawns back up thru injury etc and to play at casey

114. Jake.B says:

Hey guys, first time post and just thought I'd share my team I have at the moment. I've changed it about 50 times already and it may change again but here it goes.

DEF
    Shaw-Laird-Lloyd
    Hampton-EVW-Stewart
    (Berry, Otten)

MID
    Danger-Trelor-Zorko
    Fyfe-Kelly-Beams-Parish-SPP
    (Barrett, Pickett & Parfitt)

RUCKS
    Gawn-Sandi (strndica)

FWD
    Dahl-Franklin-Higgins
    Nankervis-Taranto-Miles
    (Eddy, Houston)

44k Left over

Ive hadmarchbank/thurlow in and out of my backline as my D4 but ran with the 3 rookies.

I have had JOM in and out of my side and I've also had WHE & Roughed in and out of my side. If higgens stays fit he will be a gem, but I could still drop him and replace him with Roughed? Would give me more $$ a total of about 95k left over in my bank. Would help me during the season.

Anywhere I could possibly improve on?
    Cheers

• neil Demons Delight says:

Gee that's a good team Jake Parish a great pod. forwards solid no doughnuts there Kelly could be a gem too well done son cheers

• Jake.B says:

Thanks Neil, yeah Im hoping Kelly and parish have ripping years and I think they really will. Trying to get a couple of POD players. I know they akward priced with one at 460k and one as 398k but I'm willing to give them a crack.

115. NickMacMan says:

How much cash are people having left over for future upgrades and stuff like that

116. Reminiscent says: