Supercoach 2017 Team Reveal – BILLY

Hello community

It is a great honour to receive the call from Jock to reveal my current side to be picked apart by your beautiful selves before the 2017 season.

Though I must admit the timing is not ideal. The side you will see is a very early iteration of version 3 of The Be Sharps 2017 as I’ve finally lost patience with Todd Goldstein’s spluttering pre-season. There was a little re-structuring needed to fit the big bearded bastard Max Gawn at R1 for this team. My flexibility has been compromised by having clearly the three most expensive players in the game, but at least it saves the headache of getting them in later.

My structure is mostly Guns and Rookies, with David Swallow, Aaron Sandilands and Paddy Ryder slotting in as mid-pricers. Patch’s article about mid-pricers has been referenced several times on this site since it was posted and with good reason, it was bloody brilliant. It confirmed my long-standing hunch regarding mid-pricers, that you only pick them if they have exposed form as premium scorers. All three fit into this category so I feel comfortable running with them despite the inherent risks. For this reason there’s no room for Isaac Heeney or any other breakout contenders.

I won’t bother dwelling on rookies (or my ‘Babies on Board’) here as they’ll be chopped and changed during the JLT series.

But without further ado..

..let’s meet The Be Sharps 2017.

Billys 2017 SuperCoach B Sharps

DEFENCE

Billy's SuperCoach 2017 DEF

For so long the backline has been the bane of our SuperCoach existences, but not this year. There’s reliable premiums, fallen premiums, breakout contenders and robust rookie options, the 2017 crop has the lot.

I believe Docherty and Shaw are the safest bets to finish as top 6 defenders at the end of the season. They both do it all, win intercept possessions, get plenty of it from teammates and use it well. I generally have a no key defender rule, but key defenders generally aren’t as good as Alex Rance. I expect there’ll be plenty of heavy lifting to do in the Richmond defence this year and no one does it better than Rance. He’s averaged 98 in consecutive seasons and I think he’ll continue in that vein. Rory Laird has spent plenty of time in that spot but he shares a bye with Adams & Shaw, so Rance edges him.

I wrote the community article on Taylor Adams and was far more confident in him before I did my research and discovered his poor history with injury and suspension. But I watched him play mostly out of the centre square in Collingwood’s recent intraclub match, so his scoring potential is too tempting to pass up. I believe he can average in the 105 – 110 range and end the season as the top ranked defender if he can keep his body right.

MIDFIELD

Billys Supercoach MIDS

My first two midfielders need no introduction. They’re durable and locks to average 120+. I don’t know where I threw the key for these two and I’m not going to waste my time looking for it. Fyfe’s also a no brainer. He does have an injury history but he also has a rare ability to post SuperCoach scores. Will return with a point to prove having lost his mantle as king of the AFL last year. Selwood gets the nod just ahead of Rory Sloane. Like Sloane, Selwood has a soft early draw, playing just two finalists from last year – Hawthorn and Norf – and plenty of appearances at Kardinia Park through the middle rounds. Selwood has a marginally better track record than Sloane, so is in.

I’m backing the Bont to be a top eight midfielder for this year and well, for the next ten as well. His 2016 average of 107 is slightly misleading. He split his time with stints up forward for the first six rounds, before moving permanently into the middle and averaging 116 from that point, plus 114 in the finals for good measure. I expect this output as a minimum from him this year. He will lose the ability to go third man up, but this will just allow him to wreak more havoc at ground level. Lock.

The two premos not in the side I’ll be tracking most closely are Tom Rockliff and Patrick Cripps. Rockliff’s best year is better than Dangerfield’s 2016 (ave 132 v 131) and he’s slimmed down to hopefully spend more time on the park. If his head’s right and he looks fit I may start him. Either way, I will certainly end the season with him as there’s no better finisher in the game. Cripps was firmly entrenched in my midfield before news of his back injury broke so I’m cautious for now. But if he gets through a preseason game or two and looks 100% hitting Round 1 he’ll be extremely difficult to pass on.

Swallow is one of my riskier selections but provides irresistible value at that price as long as he continues his faultless preseason. I expect an average of around 90-95 and an appreciation of $200k prior to his Round 9 bye, allowing me to flip him to a fallen premium.

RUCKS

Billys Supercoach 2017 rucks

I had been reasonably comfortable with Goldstein at R1 and no Gawn as my major POD of the season, until I saw this tweet;

It was the last straw for me. Goldy has been a great contributor for The Be Sharps for several years now, but his services won’t be required this year, not to begin with at least.

The result was I didn’t really have any choice but to put big Maxy in at R1. Though I am warming to the possibility of picking Brodie Grundy. So far I haven’t had him in as I feel his ceiling is around a 105-108 average which would fall short of Goldy and Gawn as the number two ruck. But if Goldstein’s preseason keeps going the way it is maybe that figure will be enough to secure the second spot behind Gawn. I’ll reassess this as we get closer to Round 1.

As for Sandilands, my thinking is pretty much the same as what Kev outlined yesterday in his team reveal. The big prick just needs to give me six to eight weeks of good scoring before he appreciates enough to turn into a premium ruckman who won’t break down and/or be rested. Worst case scenario if he does go down early, I have Ryder as cover or can use Jarrod Witts to perform Sandiland’s role. I feel the potential reward outweighs the risk involved in Sandi’s selection.

I’ll plug Darcy Cameron in at R3 if it looks like he’s a chance for a game after the JLT, but for now Strnadica holds the floating donut role.

FORWARDS

Billys SuperCoach 2017 FWD line

I don’t have the stomach to ride the key forward rollercoaster so it’s the two Doggies flying the (premiership) flag up forward. I anticipate these two will finish as top-six forwards and depreciate far less than the big blokes around them.

Ryder is in partially as a foil to Sandilands, but I also think that in isolation he’s a valid selection. He’s twice averaged triple figures as the primary ruckman previously, the role he figures to hold for the Power this year. Even if he doesn’t reach those heights following his suspension, he’ll still fill a valuable position in my finished team as ruck cover, saving me a trade later on.

Jarryd Roughead was the sacrificial lamb to make way for Gawn in the ruck. It looks as though we’ll have enough rookies to sustain a 2-1-5 structure like this so I feel reasonably confident without Rough in the side.

SUMMARY

I have $165k in the bank following the Roughie downgrade. I’ll likely leave it in the bank for now as a buffer in case the higher priced rookies look tasty or the lower priced ones don’t emerge as I hope they will. There’s the option to bump Swallow up to Beams or Murphy, but I’m not overly buoyant on either of those two as options.

The side is fairly vanilla at this stage, especially now that it includes Gawn, but I think PODs are far more important at the end of the season as opposed to the start.

So now I’ll throw it open to the community for their opinion. Come at me. (But please be gentle, it’s my first time!)

BILLY

@Billy_Higgins7

SMASHED YOUR CURRENT TEAM INTO THE HIGGINATOR YET? MAD IF YOU DON’T! CLICK HERE

Tags: , , ,

1. I N Pieman says:

Like your team Billy. Really do. Perhaps running 3 on-field rookies up front is my only concern. Like the 4 big boys down back. Other than the forward rookies it ticks all the boxes for me. Nice work

• Billy says:

Cheers Pieman. Have to play the rookies somewhere otherwise its mid pricers and that won't be happening. Will wait and see where the best rooks emerge, hopefully up fwd because I have the least amount of faith in those premos.

• Valens_FC says:

The forward line looks the obvious place to take risks with rookies. Only 5 FWDs averaged over 100 last season and 4 of them are no longer FWDs. Montagna was 6th with 98.9 and he's no longer a forward. Dahlhaus and Macrae will have to improve significantly to average more than 100 even though they appear safe selections (injury records notwithstanding). It is entirely possible that no FWD will average 100 this season so think it makes imminent sense to not over invest, let the other lines carry the early scoring and try and pick off those who will settle down averaging 95 as they may be the new normal for being a top 6 FWD this season. In summary, think Billy is definitely on the right track with structure… what appears risk may in fact be mitigating the key risk of over investing in FWDs who have no chance of averaging even 100 let alone more.

• I N Pieman says:

Whilst it's a concern Valens I'm also at D4 & F3 ATM. See how the rookies shape up. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of Ruck/Fwds end up in the top 8 forwards

• Valens_FC says:

Think you might be right there… last year it was the MID/FWDs that dominated from an average perspective and this year it could be the RUC/FWDs… If you don't go D4 & F3 (or the other way around), then you are going M6/M7 and won't be straight forward getting the right MIDS from the outset when the likes of Zerret, Zorko and Dusty weren't far off top 8 mids in their own right last season. If you leave only 1-2 MID spots and get it wrong, then you are doing a lot of sideways trading…. much to ponder!!

2. Jason says:

Rioli did a major hammy, out for 10-12 weeks

3. snapper guts says:

rioli has twanged a hammy dude so team needs tweeking

4. TRIGGER HAPPY says:

Good looking team billy
    I haven't seen too many teams with a 4 premo defence – nice touch.

like the doggie power up forward.

the only problem I see up forward is what Jock refers to as the Sandi fall over and not get up scenario.
    If Sandi does fall over and you have to swing Ryder into the ruck that brings another rookie on the ground up forward so you would have 4 rookies on the ground which may be a bit too risky?

maybe you should bring "baby on board"?

• Billy says:

I don't think I have to necessarily. If Witts looks good I can plug him in, otherwise I can trade Sandi out, swing Ryder and bring in Rough. Hopefully I don't need to make the decision tho!

5. TRIGGER HAPPY says:

I'm just going to post this again as it was posted late last night and may have got lost in the comments under my team reveal.

Hey Regulars.

I would love to create a league to play against the regulars of this community.
    I have created a league for the superstars of this community.

I like to invite patch, lek, jock, higgo, old ocker, BVC to join.

I would also like to invite my fellow pre season scribes.
    Kev , INP, Gaveday, danners, Liam, boltons blues, Billy

And last but definitely not least the regulars who offer great advice and wisdom on this great site
    SC Addict, neils demon delight, hedski, derek, shake n bake, dont blush baby, Moustachio

League code: 394942

I am sure i have missed someone but will see how we go with the lads above

Best of luck to all in 2017.

Why I understand that everyone would like to play against the crew above I'm sure Jock will be running a Jock Reynolds group where all the community are invited to compete against each other, so if you are not one of the teams above can you please refrain from joining as I don't like booting people out of this great community.

• Billy says:

This is large! Would love to be a part of it

• Holty says:

Would love to be part of this but im no where near as much of a regular as you have named here. Plus my last 2 seasons have been poor so will probably bring the league down. This will be a great league trigger. I think the community would love to see a weekly update how the league is going once the season starts. Good luck

• Abel says:

Exclusion is a form of bullying. Choke on a Sandi calf and get fuct.

• Danners says:

Thanks Trigger, seems like I've missed out, got a top 5000 ranked league going if you want to join. Hit me an email at djk1410 dot dk at hotmail dot com with your rank last season for the code. Anyone in the community is welcome

• hedski says:

Hey Trigger, I've jumped out of this league cos I reckon you and many more have put in the REAL hard yards this pre season and u deserve a league for yourselves with who you want in it.
      Thanks heaps for the invite mate means a lot, but I'm in a coupla leagues with u so while I'll miss out on head to heads with Jock et all, as u said there will be a group where we can all jump in and compete.
      Anyway was thinking bout what I was saying to Pieman the other night (Not herpes, D4 or F4?)
      And this is where I'm at.

Doch Rance Laird Tuohy + rooks

Danger Hannas Treloar
      Rocky Fyfe Swallow + rooks

Gawn Sandi

Dahl Caddy Ryder Rough + rooks.

I think Tuohy has a big chance to push well into the 90's with Boris's void of significance.
      Takes away another rook on field worry and he's durable.
      Out ;-)

• Don't Blush Baby says:

Thanks Mate, I've been OS for 2 days, your league has been filled, all good

6. Rabbits16 says:

whats the go with J.Allison & C Lyons? Are they in line for gametime at the Lions? havent heard much on these guys

• Billy says:

Lyons is half a chance apparently, I reckon just about anyone is at Brisbane. Allison probably won't play early, I don't really care tho at this stage they're just placeholders

• neil Demons delight says:

wonder if Alison is related to the north boys worked with Tommy all Australian and Brett was just as good Cheers Neil DEMONS DELIGHT

7. Steeeve says:

I don't want to start with Gawn either. Thinking Stef Martin and Sandi.
    Even last year Gawn threw up some turds early and his price will drop. After six or seven rounds Sandi should have appreciated and Gawn depreciated to the point it's a significant cash saving.
    Martin played injured last year and will hopefully be the Lions sole ruckman this year. I see big value.

• Jib_Jib says:

If the Sandi risk pays off then no doubt you will save cash when you upgrade him to Gawn, but the price gap probably won't be as small as I think you're hoping. Chances are also high that you will miss out on some mammoth scores.

Gawn's priced to average 118. If you think he's going to score in a similar pattern to last year then don't expect his price to dip until closer to the middle of the season – several weeks longer than you plan to keep Sandi for. Gawn didn't throw up any sub 80 scores until rounds 8 & 9 when he scored 40 and 63. Up to that point his average was 126 with 3 scores of 160 or higher. His price only went below his starting price once all year, in rd 10, and only by $400. Also he is still coming into his peak, meaning it is possible he will produce better and/or more consistent scoring, which would further delay a price drop.

Personally I think if you want to use Sandi as a stepping stone you're better off using him to get Martin/Grundy type. The price gap will be less and you are less likely to miss out on huge scores that most of your competitors will probably be enjoying.

8. Skindog says:

Can't bring myself to go that deep in def or that shallow in fwd, one for one for me to balance that out a little, and also, Sandiballs is not going to make three rounds, let alone six or more, he's done, why waste the time and trade in a hit and hope? But nice work all the same Billy boy,,,

• Billy says:

Yep it's a risk, but as I said to Pieman if you're going Guns and Rooks then you have to expose the cheap players somewhere. I went shallow up forward last year and it worked out ok. All depends on where the best rooks emerge!

9. BDC says:

thoughts community:

Def: Docherty, Adams, Laird, Scharenberg, Stewart, Ryan (Hibberd, Ridley)

Mid: Danger, Pendlebury, JPK, Priddis, Sloane, Fyfe, SPP, Myers (Barrett, Bolton, Freeman)

Ruck: Gawn, Sandi (cameron)

Forward: Dalhaus, Caddy, Ryder, Roughie, Bowes, Smith (eddy, Gallucci)

Plan if sandi gets injured

In: Pickett, premo ruckman
    Out: Sandi, Roughie

• Tyruddanaut says:

Love your back line. Fantastic!

If Sandy gets out then only trade out roughie if he's doing a bad job. I think you should move Ryder to ruck and put in a good forward and Pickett if sandi gets out. You might not agree but just an idea.

Otherwise I love the team. Personally I would like more banned bombers but I can't see who I would take out

Good luck for the season mate

• David says:

Liking the Team BDC. Very similar to my team. Maybe thats why… JLT will confirm but I think this structure is a good mix of risk, and sustainability.

10. Kev says:

Nice team, Billy. I can see the basic structure you're going for here. You've got plenty of change in your pocket so you should be right to rejig things a bit and free up another 80k to get Rough back into F4.

My thoughts: I like the deep defence. Just reckon you've gone a bit hard with D4 over 500k. You could get away with having a D4 450k-500k without compromising your structure. Also, you've slated Swallow as a cash cow, plenty of cheaper options that will make you that 200k.

• Billy says:

Fair call Kev. Swallow is the most vulnerable player in my side for now. I like that I can go with just the one trade to a premo rather than two before his bye, so hopefully I'll get an early start on upgrading.

Normally I don't like spending so heavily down back either but I'm not sure if a mid 90s average will cut it as a keeper defender this year as it has in years past. Z Will is the most likely to go large in the price range you mentioned for mine but I'm not quite sold yet.

Depending on what happens with rooks I may lose swallow and a premo defender for a premo mid and def rookie (Rocky Sharenberg?), but I'll need to see the JLT first

11. Damien says:

Interesting to see you go the extra premo is defence, but the reasoning is solid. Not quite sold on Rance, despite his solid history. I just can't. He's on my watchlist, probably an upgrade target later on.

I like your midfield, but I can't bring myself to pick Swallow. I had him until Eade said that he'd be treated like a new recruit. Not sure what that entails, so I'm just avoiding him entirely.

I've gone set and forget rucks this year because that's where I was eaten last year, so I can't bring myself to pick Sandilands/Giles/Ryder/Witts/etc, even with the reasonings both you and Kev have outlined.

Your forward line is interesting, but I have to admit I played with a similar set up, but couldn't settle on it. Something just didn't feel right. You have some good coin left though, so you have wriggle room to fix what you need to before the season starts!

• Billy says:

Mate I was the same on Rance but numbers don't lie! I had a cognitive bias against key defenders but Higgo's article in the magazine showed me the light.

Sandi and Swallow aren't must haves by any stretch but you have to take some risks to win.

It is an unconventional forward line but we need to be creative this year I reckon with the lack of options around. Still a work in progress of course, I'll check back in a few weeks and see how many from this team are still standing!

12. Wolf says:

BACKS : Docherty, Shaw, Laird, Scharenberg, Keeffe, Hibberd, (Newman, Ryan)

MIDS: Danger, Pendlebury ,Sloane, Bontempelli, Fyfe, McCluggage, Powell-Pepper, Myers (Bolton, Freeman, Graham)

RUCKS: Gawn, Grundy (Strnadica)

FWDS: Kennedy, Dahlhaus, Macrae, Roughead, Pickett, Rioli, (Smith, Eddy)

Any advice would be appreciated thanks guys

13. Tim says:

Nice looking team billy. I have a similar structure but saved a bit in the middle by not paying for pendles and danger which left me some cash for roughy up front and a bit stronger at R2.

Currently i have:

Def: Docherty, laird, JJ, adams, ryan, hibberd (stewart, witherden)

Mid: hannerbury, rockliff, sloane, bont, fyfe, swallow, P-P, myers (bolton, graham, ronke)

Ruck: gawn, martin (strnadica)

Fwd: macrae, lynch, heeney, roughy, pickett, rioli (smith, eddy)

I am nervous re lynch as not fan of the key forward but feel lynch may be an exception to the rule if he can play mobile and pick good points (75+) even when he doesnt kick a bag himself.

What does everyone else think of lynch this year?

14. Winter says:

Best 2 out of the following… Selwood, Treloar, Rocky, Bont, Sloane ??
    My other mids are Danger, Pendles, JPK, Fyfe

15. Danners says:

Nice looking team Billy. I like the Bont, I just have fears that he will lose too many points with the third man up rule gone. Not considering Goldy either now with the injury, Sandiballs should make the quick cash before any injury occurs

• Steeeve says:

Bont only got three points per game from third man up duties. But he would have jumped third man up half a dozen times at least. That's an extra six or seven times per game he's on the deck as the Doggies' preferred receiver.

16. Shake n bake says:

Firstly love your logo!! I think the back 4 you went with are potentially top 8 by seasons end so dont mind that set & forget. Fwds very tricky this year going with 3 will give you a great look l think. Caddy Henney Rough there are more question marks with fwds this year. Good luck!

17. Tyruddanaut says:

Don't put beams in your team. Go for Murphy if you want one or the other. Beams is just too injury prone and has already had a bad preseason for health.

Also I think upgrading to hickey from sandilands with your extra would be a good idea in my opinion. If sandi gets injured your team is screwed over. These might not be accurate calculations so disregard this if they aren't

• Billy says:

Unlikely to go in with either, Beams is too injury prone and Murphy just isn't a premo scorer any more, hasn't scored well enough for 5 years

18. Soapy says:

Not a fan of this side, feel there are too many outstanding value options ignored and too many players purchased at their price ceiling.

• Jib_Jib says:

It's very hard to avoid buying premium players at their ceiling given the way the scoring and pricing system works. Are you advocating buying more mid priced players?

• Kev says:

G'day Soapy, would love to hear your thoughts mate and I'm sure Billy would appreciate any advice you have

19. BlueBallBoy says:

Mids are a little light and I have $17 and a ham sandwich left but any comments would be appreciated!

BACKS : Docherty, Adams, Laird, Vickers-Wills, Stewart, Hibberd, (Long, Ryan)

MIDS: Danger, JPK, Treloar, Fyfe, Beams, Murphy, Swallow, Myers (Powell-Pepper, Cousins, Graham)

RUCKS: Gawn, Sandilands (Strnadica)

FWDS: Dahlhaus, Caddy, Heeney, Ryder, Roughead, Bolton, (Smith, Eddy)

• Winter says:

3 mid price options in the mids is far too much. Would highly consider downgrading one of your fwds maybe Heeney and using the cash to upgrade Beams who has had an interrupted pre-season to an uber premo like Pendles. Not sure if I'm a fan of Murphy also because he's awkwardly priced and his scoring days are over imo so perhaps you could downgrade him instead of Heeney. Powell-Pepper is good enough for a starting midfield spot. Other then that Defenders and Rucks look good.

• BDC says:

some things that I would change would be
      Only keep one of Murphy, Beams, Swallow (I'd say murphy) and go up from beams to someone like a sloane or priddis then start powell pepper and swallow down to a rookie
      Batting deep into the forward line which is an interesting move that could give you an edge over the rest of the comp

Good luck big man

• hedski says:

I reckon you'd get Travis Cloke for $17 and a ham sanga Bluey!
      Beams, Smurf and Swallow is a big risk tho.

• BlueBallBoy says:

Thanks fellas. Will keep tinkering!

• Rick says:

Personally I like the concept as I'm a gambler when it comes to supercoach and regardless of my mates probably valuable advice I believe mid prices could be a gamble that pays off (which I think every other year lol). IMO there are some rookies I'd change to other players that I believe could see more game time but I like it mate :)

• Finnius123 says:

Mate I reckon that picking three midpriced forwards is very risky. If I was you I would get rid of Caddy/Ryder for someone like Jack Bowes or Aaron Black. This would clear up about 250k and means that you could upgrade both beams and murphy to premium mids (try viney or hall if you are looking for cheaper mids)

20. Jordan says:

How long is Mumford sideline for is he even sidelined??

21. Top Hawk says:

Solid side Billy.

Backline- Very solid with secure premos and talented rookies. Tick
    Midfield- Powerful with good ultra premo selections, young upcoming premos, an excellent midpricer (Swallow), and good selection of rookies. Tick.
    Ruck- Same as my side. Tick.
    Forwards- Not sold on some selections here. Rioli has torn a hammy. (Replace) Patty Ryder carries significant risk and I have not heard to much about this rookie Balic. I guess pre season form might reveal otherwise.

Anyhow, here is my first crack for 2017.

Top Hawks team-

Defence- Docherty, T. Adams, Laird, Scharenberg, Newman, Ryan (Ridley, T Stewart)

Midfield- Dangerfield, Pendlebury, Hannebery, Fyfe, Heppell, D.Swallow, McCluggage, Powell-Pepper (Myers, Hibberd, Bolton)

Ruc- Gawn, Sandilands (Stranica)

Forwards- J Kennedy, Dahlhaus, Macrae, Caddy, Bowes, Gallucci (Allison, B Eddy)

Team is obviously subject to change in coming weeks, but any feedback is much appreciated!

Cheers

• Winter says:

Liking the Hannebery pick a nice POD. I reckon downgrade McCluggage and field Myers. And perhaps use the cash to upgrade Heppell to a top mid premo. I'm liking Kennedy this year as I see a rise for the Eagles and Sam Mitchell will also be hitting him up. 4 fwd premos is something different and I'm all for that. Defence and ruck is on point. Nice team

• SCaddict says:

Good to see you back here for hopefully a huge 2017 Top Hawk. I think we were in a league together last year although can't remember which one.

Like your JJK selection. I'm usually staunchly against KPPs on any line but either JJK or Lynch (GC) are well in the mix for my own side this season, given what we have to work with as far as FWD eligibility goes this time around. Just need to see how my team's overall structure and bye composition shakes out once we're more fully informed on the rookie situation. JJK has a handy Rd12 bye in his favour too.

• Top Hawk says:

Cheers SCaddict. I am back and awakening for a big season in 2017! No doubt that the forward line is crucial this season. Without the luxury of last years FWD/MID eligible smorgasboard of players, I reckon you cannot afford to start with more than two rookies on the field on that line. SC players will crash and burn on this line in 2017 IMO.

I thing you competed in my "GUNS AND ROOKIES" league last year. Will send you an invite once we get a bit closer to season proper. Cheers SC

• Shake n bake says:

I had Kennedy aswell but now thinking twice. No nic nat will hurt and now with petrie & l think darling should improve on last yr witch l didn't think was his best.

• Top Hawk says:

Yeah, there could be point cannibalisation on the Eagles forward line because of these players. Its something I will watch closely.

Cheers

• hedski says:

JJK is a hard one Toppa, will he go bang bang 140+ a coupla times and get ya off to a flyer or stick a 40 in there?
      I reckon I'll end up with him but hopefully cheaper later after we suss out WC without nic nat.
      Good to see ya back.

• Derek says:

TH, good team. Not sure Heppell is top 8. Do you think he is or you gone him because he is cheap? I just worry Essendon will not have a good year and points for Essendon players few to share around.

22. Redgumwon says:

Love to hear what the crew think of my team line up.

Backs Shaw, Laird, T. McDonald, Lloyd, Scharenberg, Ryan, Newman, Stewart

Mids Dangerfield, GAJ, Selwood, Rocky, Fyfe, D. Swollow, Pepper-Powell, Meyers, Berry, Hibberd, Graham

Rucks Gawn, Witts, Strnadica

Forwards Dahlhaus, Rioli, Caddy, Hrovat, White, Bowes, Williams, Smith

Cash in bank $20k
    Rookies are subject to change before round 1
    Have only taken Witts short term until I work out who is next best in line at r2

Love the Rioli pick :)

• Leeds17 says:

Like: Rioli, Lloyd PODs

Think Ablett money could be better spent.

I think Hrovat will have a good year but finding a 90 average hard to come by & anything less and he wont make you much cash, not saying don't pick him but have a good plan with what to do with him,

• Redgumwon says:

Thanks Derek & Leeds for the input

I can easily move Gaz to JPK or Hanneberry if needed.

Hrovat is a risk and I was planning on watching him & Elliott very closely in the JLT. Either will be stepping stones to McCrae after his bye

23. Leeds17 says:

Really liking how unique Robbie Gray looks like he's going to be… Now to find some space in my team for him and a punt on Matt Crouch.

24. Jimmy says:

Hey jock and they boys and billy, who i am yet to find out who you are but im sure you know your supercoach, i finally got onto supercoach for the first time tonight, i should be prioritizing this but i haven't and its unacceptable. whipped up a team just now and would love some in tell into where i have gone wrong and right as i have some catching up to do!!!!

DEFENDERS:
    Simpson,H. Shaw, J. Johannisen, T. McDonald + 4 rookies
    MIDFIELD:
    D. Hannebery, T. Rockliff, R. Gray, S. Sidebottom, N. Fyfe + 6 rookies (i may be one premium light)
    RUCKS:
    Gawn, Mumford and L.skrhhrhur
    FORWARDS:
    L. Dahlhaus, B. Deledio, J. Riewoldt, C. Petracca + 4 rookies

• Redgumwon says:

Deledio has a calf injury so you might want to watch him very closely or replace him
      Mumford has had an elbow injury this preseason so keep a close eye on him or look at maybe Grundy or another ruck option to work in with Gawns by round.
      I like Hanneberry and Sidebottom as POD

You're missing Dangerfield

25. Tem says:

just found some eye opening info, last season jpk's average was 113.34, and he maintained a standard deviation of 19.9, for those that dont know this stat shows how consistent a player is and roughly how big of a range they score, the lower the better. jpk is known to be a consistent midfielder we can all rely on. however hannebery had a 113.36 average last year (would be higher if he didnt get injured at half time in rnd 1, still scored 80 at half!), and had a standard deviation of 20.1, this is all from footy wire so if you wish you can check for yourself. I currently i have jpk in my team, but after seeing this i am starting to lean towards hanners, traded him in last year when everyone jumped on parker, never regretted for a single second. im not sure if this info is helpful or just a useless statistic but i hope this helps people with their decision making.

• Derek says:

I have been on of JPK biggest fans, one of the 3.8% who started him last year.

He scores well because of his contested possessions.

JPK will have another good year but I'll be starting Hanners as well.

Hanners did spend a bit of time on the wing second half of last year. It affected his score. This year he will be back in the guts to fill TMitch's role. Mills, Lloyd and Heeney will be on the wing.

I don't think JPK has much upside. He can't play anymore in the guts than he did last year where Hanners can

• Jib_Jib says:

Loving what I'm hearing out of the Swans re: Hannebury this preseason

• SCaddict says:

JPK is so darn reliable and durable though only missing 3 games in the past 7 years! I often feel Hanners is just one contest away from impending doom the way he has such blatant disregard for his own personal safety at times. Fortunately he's one tough mofo so gets back up 99% of the time. Having said that I actually started with Hanners last season and it worked out pretty well.

But the "JPK gets off to a slow start" notion is a little bit of a myth. I had a look at his first 8 games and whilst it was true last year where he had a 103 average for those 8 games he actually averaged 112 the year before and about 120 in the previous two years before that in his corresponding first 8 games, which actually exceeded those particular season averages in those years (2013-2015).

• Tem says:

i agree with hannebery always going head first but he doesnt give a crap, we saw in the grand final how he got back on after hurting himself, he just doesnt care so i would take him over jpk for the reasons derek has stated above. and also since he is having a ripper of a pre season, but i do think jpk will be top 8 mids but i think hannebery is better choice imo,

26. Holty says:

Anyone considering Howe? He is my d3 at present. Started slowly last season and was moved to the back line after round 6. He averaged 100 from that point.

• SCaddict says:

Not for me Holty but I know Higgo is into him. Was talking him up a few podcasts ago.

• Holty says:

Thanks mate. If Howe plays that same role this year there is no reason why he cant do the same. But biggest concerns are he has only had 1 good sc year and the uncertainty of not knowing what Buckley will do is a worry as well.

• Billy says:

Not a bad one to consider. I feel the lack of height in pies backline will force him to play a bit taller than he did last year, similar to what happened to easton wood. But I do like watching him play and he was excellent in the 2nd half of last year

27. Johnson says:

Is it bad having three players (not
    Including rookies) playing in the round 9 bye ??

• Johnson says:

I can't as thinking by round nine I could upgrade swallow to a premo so then I only have two not playing in round 9

• Jib_Jib says:

I'm avoiding premo Port and GCS players for that very reason. Because it's still a best 22 rd I figure having premo's from those teams is effectively locking in an injury. There are some relevant players from both teams but no one who I would consider a "must have" – like Ablett would have been in his prime. Some players from those teams are going to figure prominently in my bye rounds strategies.

• Johnson says:

But doesn't that mean u may save a zero or two in the byes. If u think about it what would u rather 1 round where u struggle or three??? Those three players could give u the edge

• Derek says:

Not really, maybe the first round of the byes, but you should then be looking at trading players in who have had their bye.

Round 9 is different, need best 22 on field. Other bye rounds it is best 18.

Not liking Gray, Ryder or Swallow

• Jib_Jib says:

Ryder is only good for ruck cover, maybe better ruck/fwd options will present during JLT. Gray, Lynch or Miller are the players I'll anticipate I'll be looking at in rd 10.

• Jib_Jib says:

The plan is not to struggle in any of the bye effected rounds. This year there are 4, but rd 9 requires 22 players instead of the usual 18. So avoid GCS and Port players pre-rd 9, then bring them in to help bolster your team for the formal bye rounds. I think that is the best way to approach it anyway.

28. Lazy Susan says:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Jamie Macmillan? Ability to go big, one of the more senior players on the list now and the nth backline will see plenty of it this year. Too risky? I tend to be blinded by my love for PODs.

• Off The Bench says:

A form no for mine. Had a look at him last year and he showed me nothing to change my mind. An 80-90 average just doesn't cut it.

29. Derek says:

Hey Billy. That is a lot of cash to spend on defenders. I think when the rookies emerge you might want to think about going one less premium and using the cash to upgrade both Swallow and Ryder to Premiums.

I get that having Ryder is good cover for Sandi, but Sandi is a short term thing, he will be gone round 7-8 and you will have Ryder (not playing round 9 – same Swallow) left in your team who isn't a premium.

• Billy says:

Gday Derek

As I said earlier, I think an average of about 100 will be needed to be a top 6 defender this year so we'll need to spend a little more than usual

As for ryder, I think he'll go very close to being a top 6 fwd. If not he'll still almost certainly be the best scoring ruc/fwd and hence be needed in my finished side. His dpp will be invaluable through the main bye rounds.

Im hoping swallow will have done his job by round 9 and I can get rid of him so Ill only be one short for that round which im happy to cop.

• Derek says:

It will all depend on where the rookies are. I had even thought about only 2 premium defenders if the rookies are available

Ryder has been in and out of my team, I think he is the wise thing to do if we have Sandi

Swallow is a frustration. i think we can get similar points from Myers and SPP for half the price.

30. Tem says:

99,100k in bank

DEF: shaw, adams, laird, scharenberg, berry, vickers-willis (ryan, stewart)
    MID: danger, pendles, hanners, bont, fyfe, swallow, spp, myers (pickett, hibberd, graham)
    RUC: gawn, ryder (strnadica)
    FWD: dalhlhaus, caddy, heeney, roughead, mccluggage, bowes (smith, eddy)

my bye structures are 5/10/5/9, im not too fussed about round 9, but for round 13, my defence is absolutely dead, shaw, adams, laird, scharenberg and ryan all out, for this reason alone i am thinking about swapping shaw for docherty, dont know, or maybe leave it and upgrade rookies during that week. who knows. anywyas they are my thoughts. any help relating to bye structure would be appreciated.

• SCaddict says:

The bye distribution of your keepers is probably of more importance than your overall team as many of your starting rookies will be culled long before you even get to the byes. Even Swallow could be gone and upgraded to an elite mid by time Rd9 rolls around.

Good looking side but I would still prefer to have Ryder in the FWD line myself. His main draw card is his FWD/RUCK eligibility so if you don't want him for that I probably wouldn't bother with him at all, as he's been far from a reliable performer – just ask all the coaches he's burnt in the past. Sandiballs probably offers more value for the risk assuming he plays Rd1 of course.

Also as it stands Ryder presents you will a Rd9 onfield donut. And yes whilst you may be able to rejig it so Ryder ends up being in your FWD line by time you get to Rd9 that's just one more burden you are putting on your team. For you may have other issues to deal with at that time like jumping on must have bubble boy rookies for instance. Another reason why perhaps Ryder at R2 is sub optimal.

31. Jambo says:

I like your squad, Billy. I see few flaws.

Best of luck for this season, mate.

32. Jambo says:

Meet 'The Wolfpack' V3.

Defence: K Simpson, H Shaw, Vince, Hodge, Scharenburg, Newman (Mitch Hibberd, Ryan)

Midfield: Pendlebury, Coniglio, Fyfe, T Mitchell, M Crouch, Myers, SPP, J Barrett (J Pickett, S Bolton, C Maynard)

Ruck: B Grundy, Hickey (Witts)

Forward: Dahlhaus, Macrae, Gunston, Petracca, McCluggage, Eddy (J Williams, T Smith)

Money left: $76.1k

I'm curious to read your thoughts, ladies and gentlemen.

• SCaddict says:

No shortage of PODs so you will certainly distinguish yourself from the pack Jambo. Whether that ends up being a brilliant move or a horrendous one only time will tell.

Tracca is an interesting selection that I haven't seen in many sides. What are you hoping him to average? He certainly has the talent to be anything but not sure many coaches have him in their top 8 FWDs for the season.

Coniglio gets far less love than he deserves so good on you for picking him. Bottom line ballsy stuff man but surely the chicken out factor has to be fairly high for The Wolfpack V3?

No Danger or Gawn. Pay the price and stuff them in

• Kev says:

Your mids look pretty skinny, Jambo. Coniglio at M2 is too risky.

Vince, Hodge, Hickey, Petracca are all boom or bust picks. Agree with Derek that you need to look at getting at least one of Gawn or Danger in. Both would be ideal

33. Holty says:

Hi jambo. My only question is who will your captain be? Not having Danger or Gawn is a disaster waiting to happen imo.

34. johnno2908 says:

Nice team Billy. Loving the research that is going into some of these teams that are getting posted on the site! 37 days until lockout, coming around quickly

35. TRIGGER HAPPY says:

Rioli and hamstring's huh.

They go together like cheese and crackers of beer and bbq.

36. BlakeyP says:

For the last 4 years I have been in a league that Raj sets up, in 2015 it was a top 20 league . Have not seen Raj around so looking at trying to get this league back up. Members I remember where Raj, Scaddict and Derick so looking if those guy would like to join and anyothers that remember this league

37. Derek says:

on AFL website this morning

Swallow is set to play in all three pre-season games and coach Rodney Eade said he would be shuffled between the wing and the half forward.

• SCaddict says:

Something to keep an eye on in the JLT for sure.

• I N Pieman says:

The plan Eade said last week was 1/2 a game then 3/4 & then a full game during JLT games. Start him early in the Season Wing/Half Forward with the view of a move back to the guts at some point. Don't expect him to the playing in the guts round 1. Gauging his scoring might not be easy

• Redgumwon says:

Might be better to watch Selwood at Geelong them. A very similar price to Swallow but looks to be fit this year and done the whole preseason. Only risk with Selwood might be he gets the run with jobs?

• TRIGGER HAPPY says:

Just did a quick comparison between Swallow and SPP and how much they will go up by round 9 when you will look.to be trading them out due to their bye

Based on the magic number of 5,000 as we know it will drop from the current 5,440 then if:

SPP Ave 65
      Swallow Ave 95

Both will go up by around $180k by round 9.

Q. then is do you see swallow averaging 95 up to the bye esp if he is playing off a wing/high fwd early?

Can see SPP getting close to 65 swallow? Unsure on 95.

• Derek says:

that all seems easy to work out. But what usually happens is we get a rookie like SPP has one big game and his price then sky rockets for 3 weeks. Unless he can back it up, he gets chopped.

Swallow will need to be more consistent to make good gains, therefore will need to hold longer.

• Youngster says:

Hi Trigger, where are you getting 5000 from? I expected it to be closer to 5,350 from Round 1.

• SCaddict says:

It's actually $5,441 to start with but what happens as the season unfolds and rookie prices increase is that all established players prices begin to decrease a little so that the total player salaries remain the same or at least that's how I understand it.

That's why premos prices drop and are much cheaper at the end of the year even if they maintain their average from last season. So the $5,441 will gradually drift towards the $5,000 mark or below as the season continues to fit everyone in within the same total player salary cap.

38. Thomas says:

Great team Billy! I am loving the team reveals from the community members. Provides really good insight.
    Would love your thought community on my team so far.
    DEF: Simmo, T.Adams, Laird, Keefe, Scharenberg, Berry, (Ryan, Stewart)
    Mid: Danger, Pendles, JPK, Treloar, Sloane, Freeman, SPP, Myers (Hibberd, Bolton, Graham)
    RUC: Gawn, Grundy (Strnadica)
    FWD: Dahl, Macrae, Heeney, McCluggage, Bowes, Black (Pickett, Eddy)

I am worried about exposing 3 rookies in the midfield. But mid rookies generally make the most coin, so i need to decide before round 1 whether i change structure or not.

• Winter says:

Downgrade McCluggage and Keefe which should leave you with enough coin to upgrade a mid rookie to Swallow. Perhaps upgrade Black by moving Bolton to the fwds.

• Derek says:

now that is a Guns & Rookie team!

• Derek says:

i do like the Simpson pick. Nearly every team i've seen has Docherty. Jock's words are still ringing in my ears regards Docherty….will he play the same role as he did last year with Tuohy gone?

• Thomas says:

And also how durable and consistent Simpson has been over the past 5 years. His role shouldn't change. If Docherty does continue his form from last season, i'll bring him in when his price drops (hopefully).

39. BDC says:

gawn, grundy and pickett
    or
    Gawn, Sandi and Roughie

40. johnno2908 says:

Any feedback appreciated. The Hunted v1:
    Def: Doch, Adams, Laird, VickersWillis, Newman, Ryan (Ridley, Stewart)
    Mid: Danger, Hannebery, Selwood, Rockliff, Fyfe, Titchell, SPP, Myers (Hibberd, Bolton, Jarman)
    Ruck: Gawn, Sandi (Strnadica.)
    Fwd: Dahl, Caddy, Heeney, Ryder, Bowes, Pickett (Smith, Eddy)

41. The Ranger says:

Hmm…first team I've seen with 4 keepers down back Billy, I like your thinking.
    The fwd and def lines seem to have swapped places this year.
    Good luck mate.

• Billy says:

Yep 100% agree Ranger. Ive settled on these four for nw but could go Laird, Joey, Silk and others. So many good options this year

42. The Ranger says:

About time I threw my team up for review.
    I'm late starting my preseason so shout me if I'm doing anything obviously stupid.
    Rookies are of course subject to change.

Doch, Adams, Laird, Berry, Hibberd (Nth), Ryan – Stewart, Long
    Danger, Pendles, Fyfe, Hanners, Treloar, Titch, SPP, Myers – Graham, Pickett, Barret
    Gawn, Sandilands – Strnadica
    Dahlhaus, Caddy, De Goey, Roughead, Bowes, Galluci – Smith, Eddy

Still don't like the Sandi option as it feels like I'm locking in a trade so Titch might become Swallow and then Sandi can become Grundy.
    Downside of that is too many Pies players.
    De Goey is a hopeless punt at the moment but I'll be watching him thru the JLT. He had a disappointing 2016 but the kid can play. I rate him as good if not better than Caddy.

• SCaddict says:

Not a lot to fault. I started with DeGoey last year and whilst I wouldn't regard him has a burnman per se that selection was ultimately a flop for me with only a very modest profit made. But maybe this will be his year and yours.

It's probably worthwhile to take one or two risks otherwise you will just become another cookie cutter side with all the PERCEIVED safer options whether they actually turn out to best ones in the end or not is another thing entirely.

• Derek says:

i don't think anyone else has even notice DeGoey. About the same price as Roughie, Ryder and Heeney.

Collingwoods midfield pretty full, not seeing much time in guts for him.

• The Ranger says:

Yeah it will be interesting to see what role he gets this year. I missed the intraclub but perhaps Pieman can enlighten us what happened there.
          Elliot coming back means that he won't get the best small defender when he goes forward as seemed to happen a lot last season.
          I think he's capable of a 90-95 average and maybe more.

• Thomas says:

Don't mind the De Goey pick. The main concern as Derek said is there enough time in the guts for him to average around 90. Interesting selection nevertheless.
      Nice team Ranger, good luck this season mate!

43. Big G says:

I am seeing a pattern (like nearly every team) with M7 and M8 – Myers and SPP. To think these guys are no guarantee to get games…

44. Menzel Washington says:

Hey Community,

Thanks to all posters for getting me through a long pre-season. If only this thing would start already so I don't change my team for the 931st time.

In saying that, here is my current version. Any thoughts/criticism would be much appreciated…

DEF – Adams, Silk, TMac, Hibberd (Nth), Williamson, Ryan – Stewart, Nash

MID – Danger, Hanners, Zerrett, Treloar, Fyfe, Titch, SPP, Myers – Freeman, Graham, Cousins

RUC – Gawn, Martin – Strnadica

FWD – Rioli, Caddy, Motlop, Rough, Bowes, Gallucci – Pickett, Eddy

A few PODs and no dogs up front, I know, but I'll look to pick up one or both after their rd 11 bye if they're going as expected.

Cheers!

• Keenbutclueless says:

That's a great team. Different but well structured. I like it a lot. T Mac at D3 feels a fraction light, and I really think you need Dahl. Like the Zerrett and Hanners picks. Well done

• Menzel Washington says:

Thanks Keen! Completely agree with both comments. Defence really depends on which rooks emerge over the next few weeks. If I'm confident there are 5+ pretty solid ones I might leave it as is, but if not I'll re-shuffle. I love Dahl like a son, but his omission is more about the byes than anything. Hopefully the doggies come out of the blocks a bit slow (unlikely) and I'll pick up 2/3/4 of them post rd 11.

45. Dean says:

Top team Bill.
    The only two things I'm against is first and foremost, I don't like going so strong in defence only because I believe there are much cheaper options in Hurley & Hibberd who are a ton cheaper but should score similarly to Rance & Adams but that's just my opinion as I have always been against spending big in defence.

The other thing I wont be doing is going in with Sandilands. At this stage I chose Mummy but that may change to either Martin, Grundy, Jacobs or Hickey – I have just chose the more expensive option at this stage in Mummy so that way I don't need to find cash to swap over. I'd love to have Goldy but if he is going to miss the first two then I can't.

Here is my team community, as you will see my defence is not so strong which I'm happy with as it allows my Mid, Ruck & Forward structure to be more solid.

DEFENCE: Shaw, Laird, Hibberd, Scharenberg, Hibberd, Newman (Ryan, Stewart)
    MIDFIELD: Danger, Pendles, Sloane, Sidebottom, Fyfe, Caddy, Powel-Pepper, Myers (Drew, Graham, Ronke)
    RUCK: Gawn, Mummy (Strnadica)
    FORWARD: Dahlhaus, Franklin, Gunston, Roughead, Bolton, Cameron (Lyons, Eddy)

NOTE: If I decide to change Mummy to Grundy then Sidebottom becomes BONT and if Mummy becomes someone like Martin which is what I may end up doing then Sidebottom becomes one of the Swans top 3 midfielders in JPK, Hanners or Parker

Let me know what you think community, thanks in advance.

• hedski says:

I like the way your going about it Dean, Caddy in the guts just looks wrong tho.
      Martin and a swan looks good too.
      Cheers.

• Dean says:

Cheers mate I totally understand what you mean by Caddy in the guts looking wrong.

Caddy will more than likely end up in my forward line, it all depends on what rookies end up getting selected for Round 1 because as we all know through trial & error that our current rookies selected, the vast majority of them will change just prior to Round 1

I do think Caddy will average 95+ this year – His average last year was 88 and in his 16 games he scored below 72 only on 3 occasions and those scores were 60, 65 & 68 – Although Caddy may end up being swapped to Libba who has been a lot more consistent.

• BlakeyP says:

In relation to swapping Caddy to Libba, I believe this wouldn't be the best move cause you will Have to upgrade Libba at some point and I dont believe he will make the money worth the trade. But with Caddy if ya picking him it is for a forward keeper and if you believe he will score 95+ that is fine for the fowards line.

• Derek says:

Buddy had shoulder surgey in the off season and still hasn't done any contact training. he is definately on my pick up after his bye radar.

i think the defence rookies will emerge. so far on my watchlist i have:

Hibberd, Vicker-Willis, Ryan, Ridley, Stewart, Logue, Mohr, Keeffe, Scharenberg, McGrath, Hampton, Berry, Newman, Rice, Collins, Long, Witherden. I think we might find a few in that lot who will get a game.

If all else fails, throw in Zac Dawson.

46. CroMagnon says:

Forward line thinner than a Captain's Table water cracker!

47. Dean says:

Happy New Year Derek. Yeah I heard buddy had surgery during the off season, I will toss between the team I posted and this team.
    I am hoping a promising MID/FWD rookie emerges prior to round one so that way I can keep Caddy in the midfield and switch them, looking forward to see how Drew plays prior to the season proper starting. IF he ends up playing that is…

DEFENCE: Shaw, Laird, Hibberd, Scharenberg, Hibberd, Newman (Ryan, Stewart)
    MIDFIELD: Danger, Pendles, Hanners, Sloane, Fyfe, Libba, Powel-Pepper, Myers (Drew, Graham, Ronke)
    RUCK: Gawn, Grundy (Strnadica)
    FORWARD: Dahlhaus, Gunston, Caddy, Roughead, Bolton, Cameron (Lyons, Eddy)

• Derek says:

Looking good. Don't mind Libba, but for $80k more you can get Fyfe. how much cash you have left in the bank?

• Dean says:

Fyfe is in my midfield along with Libba mate.

• Dean says:

Or then one could argue Watson is under priced and will average 100 – With that in mind how about this for a side.

DEFENCE: Shaw, Laird, Hibberd, Scharenberg, Hibberd, Newman (Ryan, Stewart)
        MIDFIELD: Danger, Pendles, Parker, Sloane, Fyfe, Watson, Powel-Pepper, Myers (Drew, Graham, Ronke)
        RUCK: Gawn, Grundy (Strnadica)
        FORWARD: Kennedy, Dahlhaus, Gunston, Roughead, Bolton, Cameron (Lyons, Eddy)

• Derek says:

Watson will be good. Not sure if he will be great, but he has upside and a massive POD

• Dean says:

The fact that Watson is no longer Captain and all the ongoing BS that went on with the club along with him losing his Brownlow, I'm pretty sure he'll have something to prove without the extra pressure of being captain.

Watson is $40k cheaper then Libba and personally I think Watson's performance will be at least as good as libba's outcome and for $40k cheaper it allows you to go from say a Caddy to a Kennedy or potentially from Hibberd to Hurley.

I believe the positives outweigh the negatives as I'm almost posative Watson will Average 90.

48. Dean says:

I also think Jordan Lewis has been highly under rated.

49. Whooshka says:

Dunno Billy, your team scares the willies out of me for some reason. I saw four of six Prems in your backline and thought 'he'll be paying the price in midfield' then noticed another five there! Then I figured you're goin' with two mid-low rucks till I saw Gawn & Sandi.
    That's when I saw your forwards. Two Prems is ok and you have Ryder but then five rookies three of which are onfield and MAYBE one of which I think will line up in round one is a recipe for disaster.
    Even if you manage a starting six forward line in round one your only save will be if they stay long enough to start mooing otherwise you'll be doing some necessary, heavy trading by round three/four. Good luck! (reckon you'll be needin' it).

50. Westy says:

Cool team Billy.

Here's mine. Edition 742.

D Docherty, Laird, Tuohy, Keefe, Scharenberg, Vickers-Willis (Ryan, Stewart)
    M Dangerfield, Hannebery, Neale, Treloar, Fyfe, Murphy, Swallow, Myers (Powell-Pepper, Freeman, Bolton)
    R Gawn, Sandilands (Strnadica)
    F JJ Kennedy, Macrae, Ryder, Roughead, Gallucci, Pickett (Eddy, Balic)

51. Coolibar to Riv says:

I've seen the light after half a dozen frothies at the Riviera Community.!!!!!

The Sandi with Ryder back-up is floored i tell you……floored.
    Sandi goes down in round whatever (foregone conclusion)
    Swing Ryder into Ruck? Then sit on Sandi to come back. NOPE. Big Fella gets injured goes longtiome walkabout….
    Won't be back for months. FLOORED. You will be repair trading for Sandi even with Ryder backup.

Incomplete your plan may be. (always turn to Yoda after the Riv)

Balls out, Sandi in my team without spud Ryder as backup. BALLS OUT!!!!!

• Westy says:

You could be at Witts end. (Dad joke alert.)

• Derek says:

that is what my thinking is, somehow i keep trying to justify that Ryder might be top 8 forwards, or he might be a good F7 bench cover at the end of the season….

if you want Ryder as a backup for sandi, keep $100k in the bank to trade Ryder in if sandi goes down. You can then swing Ryder into the forward line once you have the cash to get a proper R2

• BlakeyP says:

Derek I can see the logic in this approach. But there is one point we need to take into consider the big man are not always reliable on the injury front and tend to go done for a week or two. With having Ryder as back up for any ruck not just Sandi it would be a good ace in the sleeve and not having to reshuffle or waste trades to avoid donut.

Lets remember at Ryders price he is not going to drop and if he does proform well as the NO1 ruck port his price is only going to go up. I see it as you cant lose with the Ryder pick baring injury but that goes with any player

52. The BONT says:

one more midfielder to get $635,000 who do i get

Already have Danger, JPK, Treloar, Sloane, Fyfe, SPP, Myers

53. Emma says:

Nice team Billy but looks a bit thin in forward line.

My current team
    DEFENCE: Simpson, Shaw, Adams, McGrath, Scharenberg, Newman (Ryan, Stewart)
    MIDFIELD: Danger, Pendles, Bont, Cripps, Fyfe, Swallow, Powel-Pepper, Myers (Pickett, Graham, Hibberd)
    RUCK: Gawn, Martin (Strnadica)
    FORWARD: Dahlhaus, Lynch (Gold Coast), Ryder, Roughead, Bowes, Eddy (Balic, Smith)

Depending on where the best rookies will be I could bring in another premium just depends. I did have Murphy but if Swallow is fit I don't see much difference between the two so going Swallow allows me to get a higher priced rookie like McGrath.

54. Blaknight says:

Nice team Billy.

My Current team
    DEFENDERS: Docherty, Shaw, Laird, Scharenberg, Ryan, Stewart (Hibberd, Newman)
    MIDFIELD: Danger, Pendle, Selwood, Bont's, Fyfe, Swallow, Pepper, Myers (Pickett, Bolton, Graham)
    RUCK: Gawn, Martin (Strnadica)
    FORWARDS: Dahl, Macrae, Ryder, Roughy, Bowes, Lyons (Smith, Eddy)

What are peoples thoughts/opinions?

55. Russ in W.A says:

Here's a first draft, thought I'd go out of the box a bit…

DEF: Rance, Laird, Williams, Murphy, Thurlow, McGrath—–Ryan, Stewart
    MID: Ablett, Priddis, Fyfe, Macrae, Watson, Murphy, Powell-Pepper, Myers—Pickett, Hibberd, Graham
    RUCKS:Gawn, Sandilands—Strnadica
    FWDS: Dalhaus, Weller, Miller, Roughead, Elliott, McCluggage—-Smith, Eddy

26 grand left in the bank.

56. Mad_Max23 says:

Pretty typical team for me: 11.4K left

DEF: Doch, Laird, Adams, Vickers-Willis, Scharenberg, Berry (Ryan, Stewart)
    MID: Danger, JPK, Sloane, Bont, Fyfe, Titchell, SPP, Myers (Hibberd, Bolton, Graham)
    RUCK: Gawn, Grundy (Strnadica)
    FWD: Dahl, Caddy, Heeney, Hoskin-Elliott, Bowes, Eddy (A. Gallucci, Smith)

Any feedback'd be appreciated as I can't pick whether to downgrade Titch or Bont (as the third man up might depreciate him) to make room for Murphy and therefore Roughy in the forward line. What should I do?