Tom Stewart Supercoach 2017

Filed in Community Series, Supercoach, Supercoach 2017 by on January 25, 2017 • views: 5105

Tom Stewart SuperCoach 2017Local to listed in 12 months.

When Stephen Wells heads to the draft I get aroused. The master recruiter or “the Cat burglar” as I like to refer to him as, is well known for plucking guns from anywhere in the draft.

Wells rarely bothers with first round picks. He’s had the Cats so successful for so long he doesn’t get many high picks anyway. It matters little. He has an eye for talent like few have & grabs rippers in the back half of the draft. The good news for us is the blokes he picks are never expensive. There all basement price. This year is no exception.

Because of the blokes he brought in at the end of 2015 Danger, Henderson, Less Nutrient Selwood & Zac Smith, Wells didn’t enter the draft till pick 59. But that doesn’t bother the Cat burglar, he struck gold again with selection 66 (Sam Menegola).

He lost some incredible talent in Enright & Bartel from his list at the end of 2016. So the Cat burglar went on a shopping spree for new stock. Wells was obviously a fan of the depth & talent in this draft. He made a surprisingly high 6 selections with a clear mix of youth & mature age experience.

The first mature aged selection was Tom Stewart who he plucked from his VFL side with pick 40. Incredibly he was the first of 3 he nabbed from his VFL side.

Tom Stewart was a local footy player at South Barwon in 2015. At the end of the season he was encouraged by his mentor (Matthew Scarlett) to try out for the Cats VFL side. He impressed & won a spot on the list.

That was the beginning of his meteoric rise. He finished the 2016 season in the VFL team of the year & came second in the best & fairest. Such a significant rise that he went from local footballer to AFL listed in 12 months. Matthew Scarlett would be a pretty good mentor to have. It is well known at the Cattery that Scarlett has taught Tom Stewart to play footy the Geelong way. Significant!

Tom Stewart

2017 Price:   $117,300
2017 Position:   DEF only
Age:  23
 2016 VFL SC AVG:        83
2016 VFL Stat Averages:    11.3 kicks, 5.6 handballs, 16.9 disposals, 6.4 marks (1 contested), 2.3 tackles, no hitouts, 2.1 inside 50s, 2.8 rebound 50s, 0.6 FF, 0.6 FA
Height:    190cm
Weight:    90kg

PODCAST: JOCK, HIGGO & CROUCHING COMPLETE TEAM-BY-TEAM SUPERCOACH ANALYSIS ON iTUNES HERE

“Stewart had a stellar 2016 season for the VFL Cats, showcasing a rare ability to know the perfect balance between defence and attack. Week in, week out he would play on the opposition’s best forward as an under-sized defender and limit their influence, all while roaming up the ground to become an offensive weapon himself”.

That sounds pretty good to me.

Stewart is a versatile defender with the ability to play small or tall. His best position is a 3rd defender, but he manages to still collect plenty of the pill as you can see by his season stats. 17 disposals & 6.5 grabs a game is pretty good for a big bloke.

Stewart became well known for his attack on the ball & his power. He’s also a great kick either side of his body. And he possesses a great set of clunking hands.

Stewart at times played forward & showed he knew were the big sticks were. So he would give the Cats some versatility if they needed him up forward. In his 18 games he also kicked 5 goals. But he certainly played a majority of the season as a defender.

It must be mentioned that he had a shoulder reconstruction at the conclusion of last season so he’s not going to have a full preseason.

SELECTION PURPOSE

Like Luke Ryan if he does make the Round 1 Cats team he is a genuine on field rookie option. Don’t expect an 83 Av but if he can give us 65-70 at D6 then I’d take that. I’ve read quite a few times from Cats fans that know the VFL & AFL team that they think he’s way better than Ruggles.

RISK FACTOR

Coming off a shoulder reconstruction is far from ideal. Do the Cats have enough defenders that he serves as a backup?

THE GOOD

• Mature Age
  • Powerful
  • Aggressive
  • Good hands
  • Great spoiler – he really can kill the pill
  • Very good kick (both sides)
  • Reads the play well
  • Pretty quick & excellent closing speed

THE BAD

• Couldn’t catch Motlop in a training drill. But he didn’t get burnt by him either
  • Um. I’ve got nothing else

THE VERDICT

If I could ask the Cat burglar any question it would be why did you pick this man over Luke Ryan. I’m sure it would be a fascinating response. Perhaps Ryan was gone before he had his chance. No doubt this is yet another needs based selection. But is it best 22 or back up.

For me I thought the Cats forward line was lacking a second gorilla to help Hawkins. It didn’t work out with Mitch Clarke.  So does the inclusion of this man allow for say a Henderson or Taylor to go forward?  Intriguing. We really need to keep an eye on Tom Stewart in the preseason. I’d suggest he’s a huge chance for game time in 2017. The question is when?

Right at the pointy end of the Watchlist!

Pieman

INDEX OF ALL PLAYER REVIEWS HERE

Tom Stewart Community Poll:

Any takers for big Tommy Stewart this season?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: , , ,

1. Benchwarmers says:

Well done again Pieman, yet another rookie you've pointed us towards to think about. The mature age boys look like they'll help us out big time down back this year. Good to know re the shoulder too, one to watch in preseason, see where he lines up and how much time he plays.
    Just on a side note, what are the other people thinking re structures? I'm changing between 3 keepers in Def/Fwd, and going with 6 solid guns in the Mids, or say 4 keepers in Def/Fwd and 5 Mids, I know it's still early, plenty of chopping/changing to come.
    Keep those rookie info posts coming mate, they're briliant.

• Kev says:

I'm pretty solid on going 6 deep in the mids (no Swallow)

Flip flopping on 3 back/4 fwd or 4 back/3 fwd. Rookies can cover both scenarios. Need a look at them. C'mon footy!

• I N Pieman says:

Cheers Benchwarmers. At the moment I see the defensive Rookies as better than the forward rookies (scoring wise). So I am D3 & F4 at this stage. That may change over the preseason. I'm undecided on my midfield structure. Will depend on the rookies

• Keenbutclueless says:

Same. Puts a few on field that I am a little iffy about, but hopefully my confidence in some of these will improve in the pre season comp. Will you start SPP on field now? I remember you saying that you thought he was bench only, but at the moment he's onfield for me

• I N Pieman says:

SPP is on the pine for me until he can prove otherwise. I'd much prefer Myers on field at this stage. SPP won't be kicking the pill, if he does he will turn it over Keen

• The Coach says:

Aiming for 3 keepers down back, 4 up forward (inc. Roughy) and 5 in the middle (have Swallow). May try and get another premium backman with some chopping/changing as rookies emerge.

• Jib Jib says:

All depends on how the rookies shape up, but I'm hoping to go with Def: 4 keepers Mid: 6 Keepers Fwd 2.5 keepers

I think there more certain keeper options in def this year, whereas fwd seems more speculative. Doubt we'll know before the start of the season who is going to step up for the fwd line.

• Baps says:

I've currently got Swallow at M8, so a super deep midfield.
      3 premos in defence, 2 in the forward line. I don't trust any of the forward premos this year, so I'm happy to stack the mids instead.

• I N Pieman says:

I'd be thinking long & hard about that strategy Baps. You might find yourself with 4 on field poor scoring rookies. If that happens your doomed

• TRIGGER HAPPY says:

Agree with INP
      There are better rooks in Def
      So going
      3, 6, 4

2. Kev says:

Lovely stuff, Pieman. I prefer a running type for my backline rookies but Stewart is definitely on the watchlist

• I N Pieman says:

He can run Kev. Don't worry about that. He charges up the ground from defence. But if it came down to a choice of Luke Ryan or Stewart on field it's Ryan every day of the week

3. neil says:

great stuff Pieman shoulders a worry look at gaz take time.but there will be a spot opening up and he will be up against the likes of Ruggles given one will go fwd to help hawk

4. The Coach says:

If he plays, he's in. Rookie selection cost me last year, I'm gonna get it right this year.

5. SupercoachNerd says:

Is Ben long gonna play? He has a very handy dpp.

6. Stirlsy says:

Great work again Pieman
    It looks like the pussies got him to fill a def position and if he performs well in preseason games should get a gig Rnd1 sits on my bench ATM in a revamped team without Beams or Swallow.

7. I N Pieman says:

Thanks Skindog! Have known the lads for many years. Terrific blokes. But your right my booze fueled tinder benders do not sit well with Higgo! I won't be in the bungalow until I change my ways. Which will never happen

• Skindog says:

Yes sir INP, I know of this, and you never changing your ways, but I've known for a couple of years after talking with you that you were destined for this, I sincerely mean it, well done and good on you,,,

8. I N Pieman says:

If you don't know the relevant rooks skindog you will get found out quickly

9. neil says:

is 4 mid pricers too many Heeney adams z. Williams Ryder.with 9 keepers and 17 cash cows .ALL four are quality players unlike greene or hall

• Rick Grimes says:

I think with mid pricers you have to ask the question, are these stepping stones or do I see them as being keepers. Keepers need to be guys who will be amongst the top scorers in their position. ie, is Heeney a top 8 forward?

10. TRIGGER HAPPY says:

Bang on again INP.
    quality rook analysis
    With Ryan been on the radar early but great to get the history.
    If both get a gig rd 1 wouldn't be the worst idea to start both on field. Now that is cheap defence.

Once again thanks for the illumination

11. throttlefinger says:

Another rookie gem to keep an eye on. Now have a solid list of Pieman-approved rooks For preseason. And if Stewie is as good or better than Ruggles, we should see him in many D6 spots this season. Excellent job again, INP!

• SupercoachNerd says:

Who's place does he take ? Zach thouy will be selected before him

• throttlefinger says:

Be interesting to see if he makes a case for himself. In the past have been surprised at the rooks who made it to early rounds for the Cats (e.g. Gregson, Ruggles). Shall see.

• SupercoachNerd says:

Also maybe florent will start for the swans with the likes of heeney mills and Lloyd starting round 1

12. AMAC says:

Love your work again Pieman! Thinking out loud but also a question, if both Stewart and Ryan have been injured in the preseaon, what chance are they to line up early? Surely behind in their respective preparations. They've never played AFL. It would also appear that neither will get an early look at JLT cup and therefore, perhaps both are downgrade options? This would have a fairly significant change on structure too no?

• Derek says:

I would put Newman (swans) and Hibberd (kangas) both DPP ahead of Stewart. Both have been with their clubs for over a year and were both very close to getting games last year. Swans an Norf have places available.

Can't see why Collins (dogs) didn't get a game last year. Must be close

• AMAC says:

Tend to agree Derek, I would also have Ed VW ahead of them at this point. Collins I'm not sold on yet. With Adams and Murphy coming back I can't see how he will get a game.

13. bUCKET__ says:

Geelong are a real worry in their KPP. Moving Henderson around late last year was very troubling re general team structure, given his general lack of form. They are certainly looking to experiment and test the waters to fill the gaps.

Hope Stewart gets a shot. But I'll be staying clear in SC if he's selected come rd1!

14. Valens_FC says:

Quality write up… amazing knowledge of players from an opposition club! Sorry for the lame question, but how do you access SC scores from VFL games and also the various champion data stats we see quoted?