Chad Wingard Supercoach 2017

Filed in Community Series, Supercoach, Supercoach 2017 by on December 7, 2016 • views: 3256

chad wingard supercoach

Could the Power high flyer rise back to premium status?

by Danners

Wingard, known for freakish skill in the air and on the ground comes in a bit cheaper in 2017 due to a lack lustre 2016.

If he got bonus points for some of the tricks around the goals (see below) Wingard probably would be one of the greatest Supercoach players going around.

Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Still only 23 though, Wingard has risen to become one of the best midfield/forwards in the AFL. Drafted with pick 6 in 2011, GWS passed on him with their first 5 picks of the draft and the Power didn’t take long to pounce on him. SA Under 18 coach Brenton Phillips even said he is the best player he has ever coached in his 10 years as the coach of the SA Under 18’s.

With Supercoach averages of 95+ in 2013 and 2015, is 2017 the year that Wingard returns to elite premium status?

PODCAST OF HUGE SIGNIFICANCE THIS WEEK. SUBSCRIBE ON THE iTUNES HERE

2017 Price: $439,800
2017 Position: FWD
Games last season: 18
Average last season: 80.8
100+ games last season: 6
Sub 80 games last season: 20
Price range last season:  $370k-$528k
Missed games last season:
  • Rounds 2, 22 and 23 with hamstring injury
  • Round 6 with concussion
Significant history:
  • Missed only 1 game between 2013 and 2015
  • Averaged 95+ in 2013, 2015
  • Averaged less than 85 in 2014, 2016.

Jock Reynolds Supercoach Magazine 2017

2016 was a disappointing year for Wingard. Expectations were high due to him getting into the All Australian team for the second time in 2015. He dropped in statistical averages in just about every category which impacted his Supercoach average. Some of the significant categories were

• 15.44 disposals a game (19.18 a game in 2015)
  • 2.89 marks a game (3.86 in 2015)
  • 2.17 tackles a game (3.05 in 2015)

Was he just spending too much time on getting mark of the year back? With Monfries out for the year, Wingard spent more time in the forward line. This could be the reason why Wingard dropped off in 2016 or he might of missed his mates.

RISK FACTOR

At $439k, you’d be hoping that Wingard can return to his form in 2013 and 2015. With the return of Monfries and Ryder, this could be the case, but that is not guaranteed. Other clubs may put the work into stopping Wingard who can be dangerous at times.

Another problem for Wingard is injuries. He missed 4 games in 2016 which is the same as he did between 2012 and 2015. He had hamstring troubles early and late into the season.

SELECTION PURPOSE

Would have to be for him to get back to premium status. There is not enough money to be made with Wingard to be a cash generating mid pricer. With the lack of forwards for Supercoach in 2017, an average of 90 would do well. Could also slip under the radar as a POD in our forward lines.

THE GOOD

• Young, still only 23 years old
  • Capable of averaging 90+ (did in 2013 and 2015)
  • Nearly $100k cheaper than last year
  • Only missed 8 games out of 110 that he could have played

THE BAD

• Monfries returning could mean different role
  • Hamstring troubles last season
  • Could get tagged
  • Tough first 4 games (Swans, Freo, Crows, GWS)

THE VERDICT

With the absence of 2016 top 6 forwards in 2017 Supercoach, it will be tough to get a good forward line together and other players will need to step up. It seems the return of Monfries and Ryder should get Wingard back up to an average of above 90+.

He is one of my first picked, but just to be on the safe side, it might be wise to keep an eye on his preseason.

YES, BUT WATCH PRESEASON

Is Wingard our saviour for our forward lines community?

Danners

Chew the fat with Danners in the comments below, or over on twitter: @Danners16

BROWSE OUR DAILY PLAYER REVIEWS HERE

Chad Wingard Community Poll:

Where are you at with Chad Wingard in 2017?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: , , ,

1. jockreynolds says:

Great stuff Danners! So hard to believe that this bloke is still 23!? Nearly fell of my bloody chair. He needs to rotate through the guts to return to anything resembling relevance for me. Could happen. Could happen. Gets a bit of a relevance boost given the lack of set and forgets up FWD.. not for me this year. Ripping write up mate

2. I N Pieman says:

Right at the pointy end of players that do my head in. Like jock I'd need to be convinced of more mid time. I suppose with the lack of fwds I'll consider him. Great work Danners

3. The Bont says:

If he rotates through the guts there is definitely some relevance there , according to some of ports coaches is great in the contest .
    But never really got a look in this year , your right with the return of monfries this could change , but I just think port need him there because without Dixon firing they don't really have any other avenue to goal . Port also picked up Powell pepper who will probably take some midfield time , and Matty white who will end up on a wing . Just can't see the Chad getting much time through there as good as he will be .
    I think the most important thing for the Chad is that port return to their successful ways and start giving him some chances to get a few sausage rolls . cheers Danners

• Danners says:

Thanks Bont, forgot about White returning, could have an impact. Greene barely plays midfield an does well, so you never know with Wingard

4. Raging Bulls says:

Normally I would consider him but because of Port's early bye I am steering clear at this stage. Perhaps an upgrade target. Really good article Danners.

5. MJS says:

Say what???

"Some of the significant categories were

44 disposals a game (19.18 a game in 2015)
    89 marks a game (3.86 in 2015)
    17 tackles a game (3.05 in 2015)"

6. Kev says:

Some good and bad memories with Chadly Wingard, the burns still sting a little come winter time, and getting an awful sense of deja vu about how he "should" return to a 95 average.

I won't rule him out. They may have taken away a bunch of DPP forwards but that doesn't mean we won't get forwards-only in SC playing in the guts on the telly.

7. TRIGGER HAPPY says:

Ah the Chad. Loved having him the back end of 2015.
    thought boy is he gonna deliver in 2016 so started him as a keeper and against my better judgement stayed in my team for the entire season.
    I Kept Saying to myself he and port will come good hang in there you know what he can do..
    Never happened was disappointing and for this reason I am a firm no at this stage.
    Hope we see some chad magic in 2017.

• I N Pieman says:

You look at his AV & get sucked in. I did in 2014 I think it was. Then you have him & watch him close & it gives ya the shits! If he played 50/50 Mid/Fwd he'd AV 120, but he doesn't. Not sure I could do it again Trig

8. Harry H says:

Had Wingard all last year and he was one of the most frustrating players. Just doesn't get enough mid time. I'll pass next year.

And he'll probably now average 105 :)

9. Steeeve says:

Burned me last year. Needs to be in the guts more but the Power love him forward.

I will say this:
    . There are fewer good forward options this year
    . Last year he got injured early and had a shit run of it from there — even as a perma-forward he had some big games. Anyone who cops a head knock early will be shithouse for most of the year. Look at Luke Parker in 2015.

One to monitor for mine. Prefer Ryder at that price though.

• Kev says:

Plenty of temptation up front to throw a few hail mary's, Steeeve. I reckon with all the fallen premiums in the mids you're better off taking a gamble on that line. Any failure of the mid price guys up forward you've got stuff all to trade them to

10. neil demons delight says:

great stuff Danners cant be a cash cow but lack of forwards could see him relevant. Burnt me badly last year had him to round 21 could get rid of him so for me so it will bea noand aside from buddy it will be rookies Cheers

11. Rogan says:

A burn man for me. Never again. Never. Again.

12. Gaveday says:

If the power can get the ball up forward consistantly he'll score well. But if you believe the power will be rubbish – avoid.
    He's got the silks though. And can go ballistic on his day.

Watching.

13. throttlefinger says:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice, the sight of your name makes my plums bang together like angry tribal drums, I lose my sense of taste and smell and turns my stool crimson (but that could be because I ate a bowl of beets last night). Solid work Danners but The Chad is getting the year off.

14. The Stiv says:

He's the kind of bloke who will slot 6 goals and still struggle to crack the tonne. Burnt me a few years back. He's been blacklisted from Stivlingtons ever since.

15. Derek says:

i had him from the start last year. week 1 he went bang……. the rest is a sad and frustrating season.

I'll probably get him again, good value.

• neil DemonsDeligth says:

Good to see you again Derek yeah I agree he is well priced but will he do 2016 again could be another Greene or Hall but the cupboard is bare aside from a must have Buddy cheers

• Derek says:

i agree, it is a bare cupboard in the forward line.

i'm considering starting with Dahlhaus, Franklin, Wingard, Ryder, T Boyd, McCarthy

• TRIGGER HAPPY says:

Thinking Dahl, heeney, maybe Ryder, maybe mccrae, brodie or bowes and rooks.

Going light in fwd line loading up in mids and defence.

• neil DemonsDelight says:

Heeney must be considered Trig not sure about Brodie or Bowes what do you have on them thats relevant

• TRIGGER HAPPY says:

Both DPP.
              One or both likely starters Rd 1 as sun's loaded up on mids after jom and prestia left.
              Spot for them in the guts just have to take the opportunity.

• neil DemonsDeligth says:

the first five are on m radar mcCarthy not sure desperate measures depends on preseason. and rookie dpps