Nat Fyfe Supercoach 2017

Filed in Community Series, Supercoach, Supercoach 2017 by on December 5, 2016 • views: 4123

Nat Fyfe Supercoach 2017Season defining decision – can he return to his Brownlow form

by Ben Madden

The football world went into 2016 with a new no.1 in town. Nat Fyfe, fresh off a Brownlow win, was looking better than ever.

He was set for a big 2016, and was looking to help Fremantle get even closer to their elusive first premiership.

Then, in Round 5, the Supercoach world watched in horror as Fyfe went down with a leg injury that would see him sit out the rest of the season, as well as see Fremantle slump to the bottom 4.

The stage appears set for a triumphant return in 2017, but the question on any Supercoacher’s lips is – will he return to his high scoring ways?

PODCAST OF HUGE SIGNIFICANCE THIS WEEK. SUBSCRIBE ON THE iTUNES HERE

2017 Price: $573,500 SC
2017 Position: MID
Games last season: 5
Average last season: 105.4
100+ games last season: 3 (15 in 2015)
Sub 80 games last season: 2 (0 in 2015)
Price range last season:  $624K – $670K
Missed games last season:
  • 17
Significant history:
  • Played 19 games in 2013, 18 in 2014, 18 in 2015 and 5 in 2016.

RISK FACTOR

Fyfe is injury-prone. That’s the long and the short of it.

Each year he has niggles. Each year he struggles to play a full season. When he’s on the park, he’s arguably only 3rd to Dangerfield & GAJ in terms of scoring power, scoring 9 125+ scores in 2015 out of 18 games.

This means that for every time you have him VC, he’ll toss out a score worth taking exactly half of the time. He’s a genuine VC option, which your Supercoach team needs in order to be competing for the 50k prize (or your league). However, a lot has changed in the Freo midfield since 2015. Lachie Neale has emerged as a serious midfield premium, and Michael Barlow has departed for the Gold Coast Suns.

Will Fyfe be able to slot back in and fire, or will the change in personnel affect him? There’s a lot of ifs and buts surrounding Nathaniel Fyfe going into 2017.

SELECTION PURPOSE

Nat Fyfe is picked as the first name on your teamsheet. You want to have him in your team the whole season. He’s also picked as a potential VC option (though do note, Fremantle play 11 games on a Sunday in 2017, so don’t get sucked in by that).

Jock Reynolds Supercoach Magazine 2017

THE GOOD

• Is a proven Supercoach Scorer
  • Number 1 midfielder at Freo
  • Freo can only improve on their 2016.. (?!)

THE DOWNSIDE

• No injury discount! At $573K he’s relatively pricey
  • Very injury prone which could derail your season
  • May lose some points to Lachie Neale
  • Could get distracted by his new part-time job as WA socialite

THE VERDICT

Nat Fyfe is a season defining selection. Make no mistake.

If you don’t pick him and he goes bananas, you’ll already be a trade and points down, and scrambling to get him in. However, if he is in your team and goes down with another injury, then you’re in a world of hurt.

With durability as much a key factor in Supercoach as ever, I am still wary about selecting a Fyfe that I am not 100% sure will last the whole season, especially when I’d be able to select a durable premium who I have a lot more faith in.

After all, it’s sometimes about the players you don’t select. At his price and with his recent history, I am leaning towards leaving Fyfe out. This will most likely change once he tears up the NAB Cup (but hey, I can try to be strong!)

Ben Madden

Chat with Benny below or on Twitter @benmaddentweets

Nat Fyfe Community Poll:

Where are you at with Nat Fyfe in 2017?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: , , ,

1. Keenbutclueless says:

The no discount muddies the water on Fyfe. He is possibly still unders, but a discount would have shifted the needle on the risk versus reward. Still in my team, but not locked at this stage.

Great job Ben

2. The Bont says:

Unders for sure , durability a slight issue but can't say no to him at that price .
    One of the few players capable of averaging 120+ .
    Need to see a solid pre season but if he's fit and firing definite yes for me

3. Gaveday says:

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooooooooooooockedededededededededededededed!
    He's unders
    We know what he can do
    gun gun gun!
    ……………………………..

4. Kev says:

No injury discount sure, but his starting price in 2016 was 670k. I'll take Fyfe under 600k any day of the week! #fyfeislyf

5. I N Pieman says:

Despite the fact I said I'm never picking another non durable player again, I'm a sucker for value. The ceiling of Fyfe is too good to ignore. It's also his contract year, so he's going to want to put on a show to get the MEGA bucks. Great job Ben. Your right it's a critical call

• Steeeve says:

I said that too. Just wait. My starting team will probably have Fyfe, Beams, David Swallow. Hell I might chuck Rocky in there yet haha

• throttlefinger says:

Same place with He Who Howls At The Moon. Would've liked that price $25K lighter but his ceiling is massive. Weekend mood changer not having him and Fyfe thumbing you in the eye for 150+. Leaning toward yes. We shall see. Tight review, Ben. Thanks, my man!

6. TRIGGER HAPPY says:

I think the SC boys got this one right. He is not too cheap like beams that everyone will have him and not too dear like bald jesus which with his injury concerns would be a pass.
    Dammit he is right in the juicy part of the curve and around the same price as bont, cripps and other up.and comers.

A real head scratcher. I have not ruled him out but would want to see a mighty impressive pre season before getting a gig.
    but is unders for what he can produce.

Nice work Ben got us thinking and yep could be a defining call.

7. MJS says:

Start with him and put aside a trade for safe keeping – 30 is more than enough

8. Timmy Tek says:

His physique SCREAMS career defining season of savagery coming right up… First picked for me. $573k is discount enough. Oh how quickly we all forget that he literally was Superman in 2015 and thus the #FyfeIsLife hash tag was given birth to… This kid is about to tear the whole competition into pieces of scrap metal in 2017! #ThoseGuns

9. Max says:

He's been training with the top professionals over seas and will be in peak condition

10. TRIGGER HAPPY says:

Can someone tell me the price of buddy next year?
    Doing an article on him.for the community and should put in his actual price instead of an estimate.

Ta.

11. neil demonsdelight says:

good job ben good enough price for me Sub 600 out weighs injury risks a yes

12. Moustachio says:

Stop what you're doing, and go watch a couple highlight reels of this sexy beast on the youtubes. After you've finished cleaning up, lockity lock this magnificent specimen in. Yes he will miss a few games, yes it will be worth it.

PS he is not so much a VC as a C option due to the late games, which goes perfectly with the best loophole (Strnadica). Can be comboed with Danger VC a lot. Might need a year long Kleenex subscription.

13. CJ84 says:

I'm happy to pay 573K for a fyfe! stoked to be honest. They apparently could of got him up for a few games at the backend of the 2016 season. Anyway, his off season training camp has him looking like a beast and he went 3rd of 5th in a time trial at freo recently. He is not your typical lactic/endurance type athlete. The way he jumps and breaks tackles means he is somewhat of a power type of athlete. He is running well……FYFE IS LIFE @lekdog

locked and can't wait to have him in my team again

14. Harry H says:

Still a super price for a super premo. Unless something dramatic happens this pre-season, he's locked and loaded.

And at this stage my midfield is similar to others. Treloar, Bont, Beams, Fyfe, Heppell, JOM, D Swallow, Myers. Of course all subject to change but not a bad starting 8. Think I may change my forward line 16,000 times between now and the start of the season though :)

• neil demons delight says:

no Danger or pendles risky Harry as cant see either dropping early sellwood too beams and heppell could both be a worry for diffferent reasons cheers H

• Harry H says:

I actually think Treloar will become the main man at Collingwood and outscore Pendles next year. No Danger is a danger in itself but I firmly believe he'll come down in price at some stage.

I agree on Heppell and Beams…. they're not locked in by any stretch. Need to see how they're going pre-season. JOM and Swallow also need to be impressive pre-season as I may consider one but not both.

15. Carpet Cleaner says:

The hot vapor released from the cleaning solutions need to be no less than 130 levels F or more popular with a specific end goal to efficiently fresh, cleanse, and perform infection from areas. Carpet Cleaning Adelaide

16. thanks for sharing this amazing blog post cleaning makka