Max Gawn Supercoach 2017

Filed in Community Series, Supercoach, Supercoach 2017 by on November 18, 2016 • views: 3511

supercoach 2017 max gawnGoing, Going, GAWN. Will he be your R1 in 2017?

When he’s not bashing nerds, serving coffee at his café or causing a ruckus at Brownlow night, Maxy Gawn is off being the best ruckman in the entirety of AFL footy.

Despite looking like a massive homeless bloke that is in desperate need of a shave, Gawn should be an integral part of all Supercoach teams in 2017.

His rise to Supercoach supremacy took many by surprise in 2016.

Who’d of thought that a Melbourne player could actually score so high. Seriously? However, 2017 is a new can of worms and Maxy Gawn is on everyone’s radar.

Like a blonde at a bar, Max has caught all our attention and has us fantasising at his beautiful tap work at the contest.

2017 Supercoach Price: $645,000
2017 Position: RUCK
Games in 2015: 22
Average in 2015: 118.6
100+ games in 2015: 15
Sub 80 games in 2015: 3
Price range in 2016: $550K – $648K
Missed games last season: Nil
Significant history:
  • #1 for total hit-outs in 2016
  • Clear #1 for hitouts to advantage in 2016
  • Scored 140+ 7 times in 2016

PODCAST: TWO TEAMS SUPERCOACH ANALYSED EVERY WEEK

2016 we saw Maxy just become a dominant force of this competition. He averaged a whopping 42.2 hit-outs per contest which the led the league comfortably. What else makes Maxy even more remarkable is that at 208cm tall, he averaged 14.4 disposals a game, 4.1 marks and a staggering 3.6 tackles. For his size that is nothing short of trouser stretching. The big question is, will he back it up?

During the off-season Maxy has already stated that now he’s at the top of the mountain he aims to remain there. This is the attitude that makes us all a little weak at the knees. Maxy knows he has to back up 2016 with another big year, and there is no doubt in my mind he’ll do it. With Petracca getting another year under his belt and the inclusion of Jordan Lewis you can be rest assured that Maxy’s hit-out to advantage figures will rise. With each hit-out to advantage being rewarded with 5 points, get ready for Maxy to challenge Danger and Fyfe as the best fantasy player in all of the land.

Jock Reynolds Supercoach Magazine 2017

RISK FACTOR

The only risk factor when it comes to Maxy Gawn is not selecting him!!

Yes he will cost a small fortune. But, nice things don’t come cheap and Max Gawn is no exception.

SELECTION PURPOSE

Set and Forget.

He’ll be the highest scoring ruckman in 2017 and be a C/VC choice week in week out.

THE GOOD

• Proven scorer that has his sights on going even higher
  • Surrounded by a now gun midfield which will help his scoring output
  • Goes big often, allowing for a captaincy option

THE DOWNSIDE

• His price if you’re a stingy bastard

THE VERDICT

If you don’t start with Max Gawn in 2017, grab a mirror and take a good hard look at yourself. You won’t do much in Supercoach in 2017 without this beautiful big hairy human in your side.

BLOODY LOCK

Will you be idiotic enough to start without Max Gawn in 2017?

Nicki Boy

Have a chat with Nicki Boy on Twitter: @Nick_Wealands

BROWSE OUR DAILY PLAYER REVIEWS HERE

Max Gawn Community Poll:

Where are you at with max Gawn in 2017?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: , , ,

1. General Soreness says:

Apply lock, throw key away, price not a consideration here. Trade saved + big scores, price becomes irrelevant!

2. Kev says:

Stil 55k less than what Goldstein started at in 2016. Can't add much more to your analysis, Nicki Boy. Lockity lock lock!

3. TRIGGER HAPPY says:

Nice one nick boy.

Yep locked in at R1.

Some were surprised by big maxys rise to fame but not the community who listened to our leader in Jock.

He was onto maxy early on before a presraso6 gane had been played and shone a light on him and what he could do in 2016. Made us all sit up and take notice.

• Nick Wealands says:

Yeah Uncle Jock was spot on about him in last years preseason. It's the attitude of Maxy that astounds me, he's always looking to get better and as coaches that makes us happy

• neil demonsdelight says:

Know where his mums coffee shop is its what he is LOCH.As a Demon member followed him from day 1.where he's got better is marking forward play and super fitness .AND he makes a ripper coffee great place too..

4. min0008 says:

Will be expensive but locked 100% at R1 as he'll end up as the no 1 ruckman and don't need to use a trade on him.

5. jockreynolds says:

There is just the ONE consideration we need to think about.. The Curse Of the Previous Year's Dominating Ruckman. Is Max immune fellas?

• Nick Wealands says:

Max is immune because of his mentality to get better and will be surrounded by an even stronger midfield group than last year, pencil him in for 120+ average

• TRIGGER HAPPY says:

Curses are made to be broken with the bearded one set to create history and bucking the trend.

He called it early in 2016 when he said he wanted to be the number one ruckman in the comp – season end mission accomplished.

I'm backing him in to retain the title.

• neil says:

problem Trig could be his lack of backup. Jack Watts did it last year mainly cause others were useless Dawes was one.Weideman will take time and Spencer is too similar to Maxy. DEES crying out for a ruck/forward such as Vickery or daws the Majic type not chris

6. Gaveday says:

Great write up. I think the ruck lines are the most important to get right and Gawn surely must be locked in as R1. Demons on the rise helps his cause. R2 – curious as to people's thoughts???

7. I N Pieman says:

Super stuff Nick. As I said in the Brodie Grundy piece, starting without Gawn is SC Suicide. 100% Lock unless he is dead

8. Steeeve says:

Am I right in thinking no number 1 ruckman has ever backed it up?
    If Maxy only averages 110 that means he'll be dropping in price significantly at some point. Think of Goldy last year, went super cheap for a while there.
    If a rookie ruck looks like holding his spot and building cash, I'll burn a trade to make a significant warchest deposit when the big hairy MaxiPad bottoms out in value.

No rookie options? Then I'll pony up the full price I guess.

• Bontemwaldo says:

Nankervis , Ryder , sandi all ripe for the picking . The other one no one has mentioned is Mumford , tapping to one of the best midfields in the comp . Gawn is a beast , but make no mistake he will be targeted just as goldy was .
      Freo will also probably pick up Tim English in the draft to replace sandilands .. Will be a very good price and will probably get a fair few games with sandi breaking down . Much more than just a set and forget year for me

• Hot Shame says:

Guys, seriously do urself a favor an start with Gawn. Really is a no brainer. Even if u are picking up someone who is starting over priced slightly an there are some cheaper more suitable options around. Gawny is a set and forget. U guys must be crazy. Hope u r in my leagues next season. #WonGfFrom8th #NoBiggie

• jockreynolds says:

Love the courage of this conversation Steeve and Bont. One thing I've learnt over the years is that there's no such thing as a free meal. No doubt – Gawn on paper is an incredible prospect. HOWEVER – I strongly believe, as likely as he is to make my final side, that there is a decision to be made here. Could be the POD of the season going in without him. The preseason top weight ruck hasn't finished the season on top for many years.

• gaveday says:

Last year I went no Goldstein and took Gawn and Nic Nat. If it's a "no Gawn 17" do you feel as comfortable with a Goldy/Jacobs combo or maybe a Grundy/Martin…. Or Any variation of the above?

Maybe I'm sensing a "Ruck strategy" article is required Jock…..

• I N Pieman says:

Imagine being a Martin owner last season. Simply out of the race by having him. Same could be said for sauce. Standard deviation is far too high. It's almost the no risk line these days

• Gaveday says:

I went Gawn + Nic nat last year. Thinking next year I'll go Goldy or Gawn and Ryder + sandi. Yes. I'm going to bench a mid 300k ruck. It's my trade saving, bye helping, injury proof strategy that I started last year.
            No I didn't win SuperCoach. So the juries out!
            And praying Ryder's DPP is maintained.

• Crowls says:

Went Gawn and Martin last season it was like having a grass rash every bloody week. Lots of scratching and itching but no way to fix it.
            Very Very difficult to not have Gawn and Goldy out of the gate in 2017. Can see Ryder being great value and potentially interested wiht a trade up to Gawn by the Byes. Interested in Bellchambers price as a R/F R3/F8 option as well.

Another issue with not having Gawn is the VC/C options and upside he brings to your team. Having said that I did get Gawns 48 as C last season so the bugger owes me big time.

9. neil says:

What asylum are the the three who didn't vote lock .Sorry Nick waste of space .Never has there been a better lock only read his name and voted.even R 2 is locked.

10. John says:

When is the Higginator being released Jock?

11. Canny the Man-ny says:

Lovely analysis of a lovely, albeit hairy beast of a man.

I think something to consider, and probably something to include in the "Risk Factor" column is the apparent inability for gun ruckman to perform at a high standard two years in a row. We saw it with Sauce Jacobs a couple of years ago and even Goldy last year (who was still decent, but certainly didn't match his 2015 output).

I'm not saying we should steer clear of Gawn in 2017, He'll most likely be starting in my side. I just think it would be wise to have this knowledge in the back of your mind when the selection process comes around. Who knows, you may be better off trying to identify a breakout contender rather than settling for a so called "proven" and "reliable" player who end up going backwards.

• Kev says:

Understand your reasoning, Canny. I think many have learnt over the years that stuffing about with your rucks is only inviting trouble. Identifying a breakout player is a bloody tough job that requires a fair slice of good fortune. Do it on other lines where it's more likely you're able to cut your losses and trade down to a rookie

• Canny the Man-ny says:

Agreed Kev. Especially in the 2017 season where there are few genuine ruck options. That's why he'll probably start in my team (been in all of my Higginator drafts), but I thought I'd highlight that gun ruckman may seem like certain premium scorers, but it's alot harder to duplicate a successful year than people think.

12. Hot Shame says:

Awesome article and brave… Couldnt decide who i was going to pick (either Nic Nat or Gawn) but this has def convinced me to pick Gawn in 2017. If u don't start with him u may as well not play next yr. #LockAndLoaded #ThrowAwayTheKey #Gaaaaawny #CanPlayABit

13. Moustachio says:

When shelling out the big bikkies like this, for mine I want a decent VC/C option. The weakness of the Big G has been his consistency, with some monster truck scores and some low ones. This makes him a great VC but not C. If MEL have a lot of games earlier than GEE early in season, that's a good argument to start him for me… But if not I can rely on Fyfe/Pendles to back up Danger and Gawn can be snapped up later after dropping 50k+.

• Moustachio says:

Update: Before Gawn's bye, I would only VC him once (R1). In other rounds either Danger or sometimes Fyfe can be VC'd. So Gawny does not come with bonus value for VC purposes.

14. MJS says:

Stef Martin was an absolute lock last year – look how that went.

• Chaz says:

Lock and set and forget are thrown around a lot, Martin was up there last year and seemed the goods with Burger out and Brisbane about to charge up the ladder. Hindsight is a great thing and I'm just glad I didn't select him but without hindsight he still seemed like a very solid selection last year. Unfortunately things don't always go to plan, I like leaving options open and don't have any locks expect for next year, 'just research them and rank them, weigh up your options and in the end take a gamble as there is no such thing as a sure thing. If you spend your whole preseason not researching rucks and locking in Gawn who breaks his leg in the NAB then you're scrambling and playing catch up. Nov is too early to lock someone in I think, only locks are when those precious green dots appear… though even then need to refresh news feeds for late changes :)

15. Chaz says:

Great article and certainly someone to strongly consider. Not fully convinced he is the next Cox but one more thing to add is his age, going on 25 has him primed you'd think and sets him well above Mumford, Martin and Sandilands etc.

Also the third man up rule may be changed this year, Melbourne suffered from it being used against them the most so if on Friday they stamp it out then it would be hard to look past the bearded one.

• jockreynolds says:

Gday there Chaz – just a quick note to welcome you to season 2017 mate! Great to see you in here and look forward to chewing the fat with you mate.

• Derek says:

Excellent point.

Last year it was the deliberate out of bounds rules that affected the ruck scores ( early in season). The third man up rule might be significant, especially with Jordon Lewis at Melb now.