Zach Tuohy Supercoach 2017

Filed in Community Series, Supercoach, Supercoach 2017 by on November 14, 2016 • views: 2556

zach tuohy 2017

New team – but can he deliver?

By Ben Madden

Having lost two champions of the game this off-season, Jimmy Bartel and Corey Enright, Geelong went hard for former Carlton backman Zach Tuohy in the trade period.

They landed Tuohy and Carlton’s future second round pick in exchange for Billie Smedts, pick 63 and the Cats’ future first round pick.

There’s clearly a role there for him, with Enright and Bartel being fantasy stalwarts for as long as some Supercoach nuts can remember. However, whether Tuohy has the scoring potential is another matter.

Many Supercoachers were burnt by mid-priced defenders this year, but hey, 2017 is a new year right?

2017 Supercoach Price: $443,200
2017 Position: DEF
Games last season: 22
Average in 2016: 81.5
100+ games last season: 6 (with 12 over 80)
Sub 80 games last season: 10
Price range in 2016: $359K – $463K
Missed games last season: None
Significant history:
  • Super reliable – he’s played 22 games every season for the last 4 seasons running

THE WEEKLY JOCK REYNOLDS PODCAST IS CRANKING. CLICK HERE.

Jock Reynolds Supercoach Magazine 2017

Whilst Zach only averaged 81.5 for the season, his last 5 games are very interesting. He scored 108, 121, 112, 67, 112 for a 5 round average of 104. If he can replicate this form next year, he’ll be extreme value for money, and will provide you with a much needed boost over your league opponents.

The half-back role is one of the most lucrative Supercoach roles, with rebounding defenders racking it up week after week (Heath Shaw and Sam Docherty anyone)? If Tuohy can get himself a prime position on the defensive 50 for the Cats, he will score big week after week.

The problem is, going to a new team is always an unknown. Will Tuohy fill the Bartel and Enright shaped hole? Thurlow is set to fill one of the spots left, and whilst one can assume they targeted Tuohy to provide run off half-back, assuming makes an ass out of you, me and the Supercoach gods, and we all know what they do when humiliated.

SELECTION PURPOSE

Tuohy is a season long prospect, and someone you pick in order to save a bit of cash. Top teams in the past have shown that if you can nail a breakout defender or 2, then the cash saved can go a long way to winning Supercoach 2017.

THE GOOD

• New team, and hopefully a supercoach-friendly role
  • With Geelong winning more games, he’ll get more of the points pie
  • Could be a great cheaper defensive option
  • Out of the shadow of Simpson and Docherty, this pale Irishman could shine

THE DOWNSIDE

• A new team always brings risk
  • Could get stuck in a key defensive post

May stagnate at 80ppg

THE VERDICT

It is very, very hard for me to say no to Tuohy in 2017. I can definitely see him scoring 95ppg in a good Geelong team, who will be hungry for blood after their embarrassing loss to Sydney in the preliminary final. Will Tuohy be the number 1 defender next year? Probably not. But he may just be the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow (sorry, I had to), that goes toe-to-toe with the Dochertys of the world. It’s a tentative yes from me.

Ben Madden

Chat with Benny below or on Twitter @benmaddentweets

Zach Tuohy Community Poll:

Where are you at with Zach Tuohy in 2017?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: , , , ,

1. neil demonsdelight says:

Interesting selection Ben. J J was a similar price before blossoming into a must have defender.Tuohy does go big like Shaw Rance Doc and Simmo so for me wont be a keeper or a starter. To select most of the above given the obvious lack of quality forwards and plethora of mids a mid price def without DPP would be suicide.Better to look at mid price dpp forwards .Look at Rich last year burnt a lot. Without Enright AND Bartel he has high security and has such a magnificent kick will warrant the pill in his hands similar to J J but for me Ben no quality report too ripper cheers

2. Bontemwaldo says:

Well done Ben , a bit of a curly one to get us all thinking . With Enright and Bartel leaving I think this is the guy Geelong are going to want rebounding the ball . Thurlow won't be 100% so tuohy could be a great scorer and pod . One I didn't have on my radar until now . Can he 'take the leap' to a big scorer in 2017 ?

3. I N Pieman says:

Hmmmm when I first read this I though Nah. But having thought about it he might be an option. Won't be in the same defence as point pigs simmo & doch. And he will certainly have a specific role for the cats out of defence. Far from locked in but definitely in consideration. Like it Ben. Nicely done mate

4. Kev says:

Having a look through his numbers I like what I see. Nearly 3 I50's and 4 R50's a game tells me it's unlikely he'll hold down a key defensive post. His d.e% at 82 is elite as well.

His upkick in scores intrigue me. Doch and Simmo were still around. Can anyone shine some light on why that happened? He'd done bugger all score-wise in the month before he started knocking out 100's

Good player choice, Ben. Gave me plenty to think about

5. anthony says:

its a 50-50 for me will see how he goes pre season what about jackson thurlow how much would he be

6. TRIGGER HAPPY says:

Nice one Ben a real noggin scratcher.
    Great D/E and distributor of the pill. Without Simmo and doc taking points off him should go OK.

However he is a case of wait and see for me. The main factor is how much carnage the boys at SC HQ cause next year in our forward line.

If as expected they remove the cream DPPs and my boy 50 shades remains mid only leaving a lot of mid pricers up fwd. If this happens can splash a bit more cash in def and grab another premo.

If some premos remain up fwd will splash the cash here and then have to cut back in def which brings Thouy into play amongst others.

All up to the SQ HQ boys.

• I N Pieman says:

Certainly will be interesting if the FWD line is bare Trigger. If it is it will allow us to load up in defence. Imagine having a FWD line with Buddy at F1 & KPF's only on offer. I need a drink just thinking about that

• TRIGGER HAPPY says:

buddy at F1 – as frank costanza would say – holy crap!

surely they wouldn't leave us with KPP's only would they?

• I N Pieman says:

Not sure. Pretty sure Zorko & Dahl spent more time in the guts this season. If they go & so do Dusty & Zerrett as well as Joey to defence then that doesn't leave much! I'm not sure I can pick Lids either, burnt me. Hopefully they give us a few back

7. Jack says:

I don't usually go with a 'Locked in' or a 'No' in the poll (It's November, almost everyone needs to be considered) but I have my first here. It's a No for me. He just hasn't done enough in his career up until now to justify a spot in my team.

Great article, I enjoyed reading it, but it's still a no.

8. min0008 says:

It's an absolute no for me and would prefer to pick Docherty for 100k more if that's how much he'll be plus Tuohy will have Dangerfield and Selwood taking points off him whereas Docherty will have more opportunities cause the ball will be inside Carlton's def 50.

• jockreynolds says:

Gday there Min good to see you've signed up on the comment thing. Hand for notifications and such. It absolutely is a safer play – and well worth the additioinal $100K for Doc if thats what your decision came down to in the end.

9. lostlarrikin says:

Man, i'm sooo off mid pricers!
    (says me every preseason, only to find two or three showing up in my side come round 1)

Defensive points need to go somewhere and I like the smell of Tuohy.
    As noted, Thurlow isn't gonna blow us away from the get go.

Love the analysis Ben and this bloke is seriously on my radar.
    Durability and DE a big plus.

10. Moustachio says:

If he was younger I'd lock for sure, but at his age I think he must have plateaued. Can't see him as competitive for a top 8 defender spot, so no for me unless we see him tear up the nab in his new role.

• jockreynolds says:

Great to see you in here Moustach! The one thing he DOES have in his favour is slotting into a backline with Docherty & Simpson around to share his potential points. Good point on the age factor though.

11. Crowls says:

Tuohy falls into that slightly older steady run off the half back category. Good luck to those that pay Premo prices for Shaw, Doc and Simpson, Rance etc. I like going for the 450-500k with a floor of 90, likely of 95 and possibility of 100 avg for my defensive dollar spend. I will have one of Shaw and Doc. Zach is a high probability option for Rd 1 for Bombers Rule in 2017