Brett Deledio Supercoach 2017

Filed in AFL, AFL Fantasy 2017, Community Series, Supercoach 2017 by on November 7, 2016 • views: 2522

brett deledio afl fantasy 2017New city, new home. Can Lids turn back the clock?

by Danners

We all know that Deledio was a Supercoach & AFL Fantasy beast in his prime at the Tigers. Injuries have gotten the better of him the last few seasons and this has affected his scoring output. By the time the season starts, Lids will be 30 making him that much more fragile.

But now he is at a new team…

Sick of getting an earful from Crouching and the mob down at Tigerland, Deledio made the move up north to GWS in the last few minutes of the trade deadline. A team filled with young talent all over the ground, Deledio could be the guy the young Giants need for experience which could be good news for Supercoach in 2017.

2017 Supercoach Price: $516,900
2017 Est. Position: FWD
Games last season: 11
Average in 2016: 95
100+ games last season: 4
Sub 80 games last season: 2
Price range in 2016: $489K – $609K
Missed games last season:
  • Rounds 1-5 with a quad injury
  • Rounds 18-23 with a calf injury
Significant history:
  • Never missed a game between 2008 and 2013
  • Averaged 110+ in 2012 & 2015

Jock Reynolds Supercoach Magazine 2017

In his earlier days Brett Deledio was known as a rebounding defender. With his recent switch as a forward and training at Crouching’s gym, he has found a new lease of life averaging 112.8 Supercoach points in 2015. Even though he didn’t hit those heights in 2016, Deledio should be on track to average pretty well with his new team.

Deledio still has that desire to play at his best again as per the Herald Sun: “I just wanted to reinvigorate myself and get back out there and play for the love”. Promising signs in the Deledio revival in 2017.

RISK FACTOR

As already mentioned Deledio has succumbed to injuries the past couple seasons missing 16 games the past 2 years. Although, he did only miss 7 games in the 10 years before that. He will be 30 next year which probably means he won’t get any better with injuries.

Another problem is the talent already on the GWS squad. Greene, Stevie J, Smith are just some of the other forwards that could impact Lids’ game.

A big question with Deledio is can he get back up to his 100+ average? Most of us might think he can only get better from last seasons’ disappointment, but most of the time players’ Supercoach averages usually drop off when they’re over 30.

SELECTION PURPOSE

The glory days. That is what we should be expecting from the former Tiger. Could be like a Barlow like pick from 2016 hoping for him to deliver the goods like he did in 2012 and 2015 (hopefully he does a bit better than Barlow though). I would think from a premo forward, an average of around 95+ would be respectable.

THE GOOD

• Averaged 100+ from 2008 to 2015 including 110+ in 2012 and 2015
  • Has joined a new team with more motivation to play well
  • Capable of collecting a lot of the pill, good for Supercoach terms (Averaged 23.1 a game)
  • $90k cheaper than what he started at last season

THE DOWNSIDE

• One word, INJURIES. Missed 16 games over the past two seasons with injuries
  • Is on the wrong side of 30
  • A lot of talent and depth at GWS, might be hard to have the same role as at Richmond

THE VERDICT

GWS have a lot talent and quality with Stevie J, Greene, and Smith. I’m not sure how Deledio can fit into that, but he is not any ordinary player.

As a GWS supporter, it is exciting to bring a player like Deledio to the club, but I can’t see him reaching the 110+ heights of the past due to injuries and the players around him. But he could average a solid 90-100 odd which is decent for a forward, but I can’t see him playing every game of the season.

WATCH PRESEASON

Can the old Lids return community?

Danners

Chew the fat with Danners in the comments below, or over on twitter: @Danners16

Brett Deledio Community Poll:

Where are you at with Brett Deledio in 2017?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: , , ,

1. Nick Wealands says:

Great read this Danners, will be interesting to see his role. If he's strictly a half forward flank I could see him kicking almost 2 a game and moving up the ground averaging 100 a game easily.
    If the put him on a wing and a bit of guts time there is no doubt in my mind he'll be average 105+
    Will consider for sure

• jockreynolds says:

Gday there Nicki – have been thinking about his role this arvo. I can't see him slotting into the midfield at GWS.. I think he's likely to play a semi permanent half forward role. Can also see him helping out as a linebreaking defender.. would be interesting to see how he fits in back there alongside Heath Shaw.

Great write up Danners thanks very much mate. For me, if he's fully fit, gets through a NAB challenge hitout, looking very fit, a 40% chance of selection in JR Brumby FC,

• Danners says:

Thanks Nick, I'm interested in his role as well, could average anything depending on his role

2. I N Pieman says:

I think if your picking Lids you have to expect to trade him. It's a tough one, he's a gun but the old man injuries are a real concern. He burnt me to a crisp last season, so I'm mighty cautious about this selection, even if he's unders for his capability. It's a real tough one & open to plenty of debate. I'm leaning more towards no (at least to start with). Nice selection to put out there Danners

• TRIGGER HAPPY says:

I too have some lingering scorch marks from lids from last year.

In the no camp at this stage esp if Gray gets back his DPP.

How scary GWS? don't have enough talent on their list already top up the fwd pockets with stevie J and lids! Throw in green, Cameron, Patton and that is just the fwd line dont want to know how dangerous and good they can be through the guts.

• I N Pieman says:

Add Devom Smith & Rory Lobb to that Fwd Line as well Trigger. It's absolutely ridiculous. Soon the only way to compete with GWS will be to create an all star team from the rest of the competition. Fortunately for my mob we have Lynden Dunn to show them who's boss

• neil demonsdelight says:

Off SUBJECT pieman but don't worry about Dunny best and longest kick at dees and so sorry to see him go far far better than Brown and will go well adds a bit of jocks mongrel cheers mate

• Danners says:

He did burn a lot of people including myself, excited to see what he can bring to GWS

3. Jack says:

Real tough one here. I don't think he would have missed all those games at the end of last season if Richmond were in the top8….GWS will be in the top8….
    My guess is he plays 18-20 games and averages 95-100 ppw. Does that warrant selection? Probably not.
    Great write up, one of those make or break players

4. Nateo says:

Burnt me last year so pass for me, to much of an injury risk

5. Kev says:

I love Brett. He was my D1 for about 3 years running. Jeez those injuries scare me off though. His achilles is shot, quad and calf injuries. His legs are gone and he wants a premiership before hanging up the boots. Fair enough too.

A 10% discount would make things interesting though. He played his best footy at tigerland in that high half forward role

6. Steeeve says:

Could be a Barlow-like pick indeed.

And that is not a good thing.

7. wombatsfc says:

Thanks for the write up Danners but I can't seriously consider a bloke who reckons he's got an injury when he cracks a fat. Apparently part of the GWS deal was Lids becoming the mascot for Western Sydney Hospital. It's a damn shame that all the tigers fans who play SC wont be defaulting him into their starting teams anymore

8. lostlarrikin says:

Nicely done Danners.
    Unfortunately I can't see Lids playing more than 75% of games, regardless of who he plays for.
    GWS will be conservative with how they use him I reckon, they'll want him ripe for finals.

9. neil says:

well done danners good choice too but its a no maybe. With not many dpp might be a go injuries and price the key

10. Moustachio says:

I will be locking him in of he gets through preseason. So many people have PTSD from the recent burns, perfect time to swoop in and pick up a confirmed gun pod.

11. Thommo says:

Definitely has to be considered as an upgrade target. Fwds that ave close to the ton are gold. I haven't forgotten how consistent he was a few years ago, so high on the radar for lids.

12. Leeds17 says:

"A Likely Starter" assuming he completes a full pre-season, he's had some old man injuries which obviously a big concern but he is only 30