Jaeger O’Meara Supercoach 2017

Filed in AFL, AFL Fantasy 2017, Community Series, Supercoach, Supercoach 2017 by on November 4, 2016 • views: 4091

jaeger omeara supercoachThe Jaeger Bomb – will it be a party all year or are we in for an early hangover?

by Alexie “Lekdog” Beovich

One of the most intriguing trades of the offseason saw Jaeger O’Meara finally find his way to the Hawks.

To summarise how jaeger got to the Hawks I’ll be as concise as possible *clears throat

The trade was always going to happen, and then almost didn’t, and then finally did, and was then investigated by the AFL before being cleared by the AFL despite the AFL ruling against their own rules…still following me?

Look let’s just forget about how Jaeger got to the Hawks and focus on what he’s going to do when he gets there. SPOILER ALERT I think it could be something special depending on his body.

2017 Est. Price: $200K (according to the Herald Sun)HUGE NEWS – controversially has now been confirmed as $318,900
2017 Est. Position: MID
Games last season: 0 (44 Career)
Average in 2016: 0 (93.9 Career)
100+ games last season: 0 (17 Career)
Sub 80 games last season: 0 (12 Career)
Price range in 2016: $316K – $316K
Missed games last season: Every bloody one
Significant history:
  • Pick #1 in 2011 Mini Draft
  • Has tonned up in 30.91% of his career games
  • Has only played 44 games in three years
  • Hasn’t played a game since 2014
  • Missed 2015 and 2016 season with knee injuries

NEW PODCAST OUT NOW: THE 2017 BYE STRUCTURE & HOW TO DEAL WITH IT

Jock Reynolds Supercoach Magazine 2017

The move to Hawthorn will hopefully be a blessing for the struggling side, as a club who hasn’t played in a Grand Final for over one year, Hawks fans everywhere will be looking to Jaeger as the great white hope to take them back to the premiership promised land.

Let’s be clear, I’m only interested in Jaeger as a fantasy prospect because he’s really young (only 22), really cheap (only $200K  now confirmed $318,900) and because if anyone can get this kid on the park it’s the Hawthorn medical staff.

RISK FACTOR

The risk factor with Jaeger is pretty obvious…homesickness. Now if the pull of the Gold Coast becomes too much and he starts to miss the schoolies birds, the perfect weather and a kebab on the beach then his form might just be negatively impacted.

Now whilst this is a risk I’m also a little concerned about this guys legs, he hasn’t played a game of AFL football in two years. TWO YEARS. 2014 was the last time this kid played; Tony Abbott was running the joint two years ago, people were tipping ice water over themselves for ALS, hell I’m pretty sure I didn’t even have a beer gut all the way back then. The point is it has been a bloody long time between drinks for the kid and the odds of his knees staying healthy through 2017 are about the same as Higgo finally getting a root!

SELECTION PURPOSE

If Jaeger makes it through the preseason with two legs then I think you’ll be selecting him as a high scoring rookie with a (very) slim chance of staying on your bench for most of the year. I think this is a similar pick to Tom Liberatore in 2016, Libba was more expensive but he’d at least shown us he can string a game or two together.

Jaeger averaged 90.1 in 2013 and 97.7 in 2914 playing all 22 games in both seasons. If he can get within a bulls roar of repeating those efforts he will be a massive win for fantasy coaches everywhere. If he can get anywhere close to his scoring capacity of 2014, a year in which he tonned up 9 times including a score of 143) we’ll be laughing.

At worst Jaeger will cost you a trade to downgrade/upgrade coming out of the Round 9 Gold Coast bye (maybe we can turn him into a Gablett?), at best he could be pumping out consistent scores of 80+ in your midfield.

THE GOOD

• Very cheap (* note from Jock, not as cheap as we thought he’d be! $318,900)
  • Averaged 90+ in his first two seasons
  • Should slot into Hawthorn’s midfield nicely with departures of Lewis and Mitchell

THE BAD

• Hasn’t played in two years
  • Injuries are a part of this guys life
  • Unlikely to be a point of difference selection

THE VERDICT

At the starting price of $200K (as predicted by the Herald Sun) ($318,900) I think the risk of picking Jaeger in your starting side is minimal. He’s had a high scoring past and sure he hasn’t played at the AFL level in two years but neither have any of the other rookies you’ll be picking.

I’ll be selecting him as long as I see him play during the preseason. If he has any issues or doesn’t play in two of the three preseason games then I’m not interested.

Lekdog

He’s one of the key pillars of our community. Follow @LekBlog on twitter.

Jaeger O’Meara Poll:

Where are you at with JOM in 2017?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: , , , ,

1. TRIGGER HAPPY says:

JOM? That says it all.

Hows the legs son?
    Let us all know before we even think about selecting you!
    2 years out of the game. Huge question mark.
    Gotta have a full pre season before even casting an eye in his direction.
    Think I would rather start the bull Tim Taranto who will be around the same price, has played AFL (only knows one way and loves a cuddle) and will line up Rd 1 in the Centre square next to god himself.

Master and the apprentice. JOM out Tim the bull in.

• LEKD0G says:

Well let me point out that after basically missing two years of games Wells played 18 this year and averaged 100.6 points.

Also it probably depends on who picks Tim the bull although I do like the kid. Good chance of having both these guys in my side.

• TRIGGER HAPPY says:

Wells had a few more runs on the board than JOM but point taken.
        Wonder how many will take wells this year now he is pie. DPP?
        Nice write up by the way LEK. :)

• I N Pieman says:

With 4 picks in the top 10 it's hard to see Taranto not ending up on the GC. I think wherever he ends up he'll be straight in the guts round 1. Shades of Jimmy Bartel about him Trigger. Whoever gets him won't be disappointed

• TRIGGER HAPPY says:

yeah mate nearly 50% chance he is gonna end up GC as the bull is a top 10 contender.
        Infact message for the top 18 draft picks. Pack you bags, say goodbye to the family as 14 of the first 18 picks are heading to interstate clubs! Unless you are McCluggage or McGrath and go to the bombers at pick 1 – as the song goes – leaving on a jet plane not sure when I'll be back again ??

Triggers Phantom Draft. (TOP 10)
        1 . McCluggage – Bombers
        2. McGrath – GSW (traded up so they could snare the kid, working alongside Shaw scary@)
        3. Jack Bowes. GC. Brisbane bids on Bowes being a Qld boy. GC match the Bid
        4. Ben Ainsworth – Brisbane
        5. Will Brodie – Carlton
        6. Jack Scrimshaw – GC
        7. Tim English – Freo – home grown boy, with the lamppost getting on and not much in the shed logical choice
        8. Will Setterfield- GWS. GC bid on Setterfield matched by GWS.
        9. Tim Taranto – GC
        10. Sam Petrevski-Seton – Sydney – needs some speed which Sam has in spades

• I N Pieman says:

Think your top 10 there Trigger is pretty close to on the money. It's hard to believe some of those players aren't miraculously GWS zoned. I'm sure they are currently taking that up with the AFL commission. It's extremely unfair on them

• TRIGGER HAPPY says:

at least the AFL took Marshall off them.

will probably end gifted to GWS somehow

• I N Pieman says:

They are also trying to bend the rules to get Jarrod Brander next year. He's currently the favourite for pick 1. Their case is given he's heard of the GWS academy before, that should make him eligible

• jockreynolds says:

Superb arrangement of words as always Lek. I reckon I'm a bit more bullish on his Trigger than you are – as long has he hits the park in round 1 I'm pretty sure he'll be a starter in JR Brumby FC. Just too much upside in the kid you know?

2. wombatsfc says:

Great read Lek nice to hear from you again. The relevant Jaeger move will probably be when we trade him out. I'm prepared to run the risk of his knees as I think they're in better knick than Smurphs shoulders and I like to have at least one sub 300k comeback mid with proven scoring ability

• LEKD0G says:

I agree mate, I'll take a punt on a $200K player especiallygiven his scoring past. I like Smurph but like you I'm really worried about that shoulder.

3. I N Pieman says:

A good preseason & NAB games & he's a absolutely worth the punt. 50 points per game of value if he's fit. Big if but. As Trigger has pointed out Tim Taranto could be a good option & so could Will Brodie & Jack Scimshaw depending where they end up. Truck load of quality midfielders being delivered in this draft. If JOM isn't right to go it's not the end of the world. Nice work Lek. Apologies for Shitcanning Docherty last preaseason as a selection, I was mighty wrong about that one.

4. Kev says:

The reward outweighs the risk with JOM, would love to see the kid back on the park. Only needs to get through the preseason and he's locked in to a lot of sides. Good to have you back on board, Lek

5. P_J_Higgo says:

Dear Alexie,
    Did Jock hack this article? If I ever do manage to successfully land my metaphorical martian probe on Venus, I will not be revealing the significance of the occasion to the community. It will be one silent small step for this man, and one giant leap in a forecasted upcoming sacred relationship.
    In regard to JOM – with a solid preseason he could be the most heavily selected player that fantasy formats have ever seen at that price. I am hoping that he receives a more restrictive price, perhaps something around $350K, for the overall good of the game in 2017.
    Kind regards,
    Peter J Higginbotham

• jockreynolds says:

Higgo – I assure you I did nothing of the sort mate. And Higg, when you plunge that probe into mars for the first time I'll be letting every human being in this wide brown land of ours know all about it.

• LEKD0G says:

Well he was about $310K this year so he'll be cheaper than that. I reckon if they slap a $250K pricetag on him there will be some debate

6. Nateo says:

200k LOCKED!!!!!!!!!!!

7. neil demonsdelight says:

Great write up Lek thought you would go with Weitering .His price is the key here Weitering was a similar price and stayed around making coin.Will get plenty of opportunities with Mitchell/Lewis gone and very little back at Box Hill. Legs are a real worry and for me I will see his preseason form but almost certain starter . Cheers Neil

• LEKD0G says:

Agree that he has similarities to Weiters selection last year but in terms of points and injuries thought a Liberatore comparison was apt.

If fit will be in almost every team

8. anthony says:

lock and loaded understand

9. Gaveday says:

Could be the first ever player to clock 99% ownership. Leeeeeeock.

10. Trevor says:

I agree 100% about the dodgyness of the arrangements that saw jom get to the Hawks but it's no worse than giving 1st draft pick to the team that finished last because they cheated

11. neil demonsdelight says:

Never thought about it like that Trevor .They were rewarded for cheating but have Essendon already been punished heavy fines sponsors dropping off players gone 2 years gone .The only benefit I can see is as you say the first pick and blooding players who normally they wouldn't.Punishment fits the crime.Cheers

12. lostlarrikin says:

Bang on Lek.
    Yeah anything under $250k and he's in.
    Also think there will be a shift in SC relevance for Hawks mids in general.
    Shiels to breakout I'm predicting.

13. Sana says:

So he's $318,900… Not sure I can go there. Thoughts community?