Lachie Hunter Supercoach 2017

Filed in AFL, AFL Fantasy 2017, Community Series, Supercoach, Supercoach 2017 by on November 3, 2016 • views: 2433

Lachie Hunter AFL Fantasy 2017Does the Hunter become the hunted?

by Kev

You know what really grinds my gears?

I bloody hate it when someone says they have a “second team”. What the h-e-double hockey sticks does that mean? What happens when your two teams play against each other? Do you split your loyalties? Hope for a draw? I’m not buying it! Stick with your bloody team.

And that’s what really grinds my gears.

My rant has a point community. The finals series of 2016 bought about some great things. Hawks out in straight sets, GWS announcing themselves as a powerhouse for years to come, and some serious bloody man-love for the way the dogs go about their footy. In short, they became my second team.

It’s not on record, but I’m pretty sure I confessed my love for Liam Picken and gave him naming rights over my second born (Jack Riewoldt has naming rights for the first). Maybe there will be a review on Billy down the track. Today I want to focus on his teammate, Lachie Hunter.

lachie hunter fantasy footy

2017 Supercoach Price: $515,400
2017 Est. Position: MID
Games last season: 22 (plus all four finals)
Average in 2016: 94.7
100+ games last season: 8 (season high 154SC)
Sub 80 games last season: 7 (season low 57SC)
Price range in 2016: $415K – $530K
Missed games last season: Nada. A goose egg. A duck.
Significant history: Sixteen 25+ possession games in 2016 (9 of those of 30+)Ranked 5th overall for uncontested possessionsAveraged 20 effective disposals per match

Supercoach average jumped 18 points from 2015 (76 to 94)

NEW PODCAST OUT NOW: THE 2017 BYE STRUCTURE & HOW TO DEAL WITH IT

Jock Reynolds Supercoach Magazine 2017

RISK FACTOR

Like most of the guys we’re looking at to make the step up in 2017, I’d consider Hunter a lot more if he snagged DPP. At his best his season average was a tick over 100 between rounds 6-15 which is simply not enough for those precious premium midfield spots. There are no injury concerns and with a strong Western Bulldogs lineup around him he’ll be involved in more winning matches.

SELECTION PURPOSE

You’d be picking Hunter with the hope that he can show the kind of form that he started the year with. Probably too expensive as a stepping stone player at around 510k. As mentioned in the risk factor section though I think coaches should really consider him if he gets DPP, he knows how to find the footy and has had a few monster scores. Having a FWD eligible player that can rack up 25+ touches consistently in this caper is golden.

THE GOOD

• He’s young. Part of the new age of Supercoach relevant mids.
  • Kicks more than handballs.
  • Knows how to find the footy.

THE DOWNSIDE

• Struggles with inconsistency.
  • Needs to find the big sticks more. Only kicked 8.8 in H/A matches for 2016.
  • Opposition coaches will be cracking open the Bulldogs gameplan during the preseason. Could see more attention coming his way.

THE VERDICT

I’m a card-carrying member of the guns ’n’ rookies strategy community, if he’s MID only it’s highly unlikely I’ll be scrolling down the midfield list far enough to see his name. If he gets DPP then I will consider.

NO (for now)

Kev

Lachie Hunter Poll:

Where are you at with Lachie Hunter in 2017?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: , , ,

1. I N Pieman says:

If I'm not mistaken Kev, your article cherry has been popped. Bang up job my friend. As a mid only there's too many in front, Danger, Pendles, Hanners, JPK, Selwood, Sloane, Parker, Bont, Rocky, Cripps, Neale, Fyfe, Treloar, Beams, Priddis & others. How do we fit all those bastards in! Mid/Fwd DPP well that's a different story. But 8 sausages during the season makes me doubt that will be on offer. Keep em coming Kev

• Kev says:

Cheers INP. Yep, up on the big boys table now! Absolutely agree, as a MID only there's just too many others ahead of him. Maybe an option for those going with a midprice madness strategy.

2. Nateo says:

Started with him in AFL Fantasy this year was an absolute gun never let me down but his sc numbers suck. will not be starting with him next year

• jockreynolds says:

That's very interesting isn't it Nateo. BIG arse difference in his SC (94) v DT (103) averages. Looking through his stats, he had a reasonable (although not great) kick to handball ratio, nice contested posession count.. maybe it's his tackle rate that's letting him down. Only 2 and a half a game is stuff all these days.

• bUCKET__ says:

Clanger count would probably make a big difference. Capable of some awful turnovers.

3. neil demonsdelight says:

Ripper option Kev but like the others too many in front .Goes big on occasion but flops just as much.Not going to make coin and shoddy tackler His J S could also be an issue with all those kids.Dpp would make it interesting but no not at his price had him after byes last year and was good but ran out of trades and couldn't get the big ones Not going to happen again.imformative report Kev POD maybe ?

• Kev says:

Cheers Neil,

Tough call on him bring a POD. Is he damaging enough? Blokes like JPK and Ward found themselves as POD's last year, I know which one I'd rather. He has the tools to be a handy point scorer, just needs a bit of polish imo

4. Sabsy says:

Taking a look at his season heat map in the AFL app you'll see he was very active in the back half, with 63% of touches behind the centre line. I'm hoping he gains DPP but not the FWD variety. ;)

5. Gaveday says:

DPP mid back and he would have my attention. But could we be overloaded with DPP dogs? I wonder how the SC gods are going to interpret their rotations.
    *spoiler alert – I've covered one possibility in an upcoming article.

• Watto says:

If Hunter is a DEF/MID then that is very appealing (MID only no chance), I think it's a real possibility to see many DPP's… no team rotated more players through the midfield than the Bulldogs I'm pretty sure

• jockreynolds says:

There's some food for thought. Anyone know what kind of minutes he spent across half back last season?

• Gaveday says:

I've penned an article on Jackson Macrea for that very reason. He's likely fwd/mid. And really so many more dogs could get the nod. Tom Boyd could be the first ever triple DPP – he payed fwd/back/ruck. Though the latter I think they'll drop. But he must surely get fwd/back

6. JimmyL says:

Nice write up Kev!

7. wombatsfc says:

Good job Kev. It always helps when you can scrub a few names off the whiteboard before NAB starts, thanks.