Jack Riewoldt Supercoach 2017

Filed in AFL, AFL Fantasy 2017, Community Series, Supercoach, Supercoach 2017 by on October 29, 2016 • views: 1887

Could 2017 be the year of the key forward?Proven goal kicking superstar. Is this the year of the key forward?

by Jimmy Dowland

Jack Riewoldt started 2016 off like a bull at the gate. Then he hit a rough patch at three quarter time of the season.

He has been a relatively consistent scorer for many years, averaging 87.6 over his last 5 years. With a potential closer-to-goal role but still floating up the ground getting touches, I expect this year to be one of his best.

His last 8 matches of the season were pretty ordinary which deflated his price. He ended the 2016 the season with a laughable $369k price tag (seriously laughable). He should be a sweeter and less expensive addition to our forward lines come march community.

I expect Richmond to win more games this year which will only help Jack’s scoring capacity.

Jock Reynolds Supercoach Magazine 2017

2017 Price: $467,400
2017 Position: FWD
Games last season: 22
Average in 2016: 86
100+ games last season: 5 (with 5 in the 90s)
Sub 80 games last season: 8
Price range in 2016: $369K – $516K
Missed games last season: Nil
Significant history:
  • Has knocked out 22 games in each of the last 3 seasons
  • Capable of going large. His 2016 season high was 161 v Brisbane where he kicked 4.3
  • His price historically will vary greatly during the season.. watch for the right time to grab some value

RISK FACTOR

The key forward factor. Consistency is always a worry. Some would argue that his scoring ceiling is a risk. His highest season average of 92.3 was back in 2010 where he averaged 3.5 goals a game.

SELECTION PURPOSE

As we know, picking key forwards is risky business. But I see this year as the change of guard.

Last year, Josh Kennedy averaged close to 100 but the important thing was that he hit close to 10 tons including a 180, 140, 137, 146, 141 proving that along with a couple of poor scores, they go big.

This year I see Jack doing similar things. His goal kicking numbers are set to improve, along with the number of times he gets his hands on the pill.

If you’re picking Jack in your starting side you’re likely in it for the long haul. Some might also consider offloading him after a good run of big scores given he’s shown his price can fluctuate quite a bit from week to week.

THE GOOD

• He’s endured years of putrid delivery. We all know Dusty is a bloody gun, but he chops it up. Cotchin isn’t penetrating coming into forward 50. That could change this year with the addition of Prestia and Caddy to help carry the midfield load.
  • Point of difference.
  • Durable as buggery. Have a look back at his record – he’s missed one game in six seasons.
  • He gathered more disposals in 2016 than in any other season, averaging almost 15 possessions. Good signs.

THE DOWNSIDE

• You’ll ride the highs, but you’ll need to endure the lows. While I reckon things will change in 2017 you have to go in with your eyes wide open
  • While $450K is a pretty good price, he has shown that he can get caught in a slump and bottom out around $370K

THE VERDICT

It’s a yes from me. I’m a loyal man with a reasonable set of spuds. I’ll be once again picking him in my Supercoach side for season 2017. Don’t be afraid to follow my lead. Yep. You’ll endure a few low scores. But I’m dead set big on him next year. Just strap yourselves in for the ride and there will plenty of boner inducing scores coming your way ladies and gentleman.

Who’s coming with me??

Jimmy Dowland

A NEW FORMAT PODCAST FOR THE OFF SEASON! CLICK HERE

Jack Riewoldt Community Poll:

Where are you at with Jack Riewoldt in 2017?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: , ,

1. Neil demonsdelight says:

Sorry jimmy couldn't disagree more good report but wrong choice .Absolutely sc irrelevant and in a crap team that is poorly coached and will win few games.By now Jimmy and others think me a complete fool but this is my opinion.Losing Lids is going to cruel tiges badly and will heavily rely on Prestia who will find it tough will tiges ruck set up.Sorry folks and Jimmy after your compelling report but a big fat no no no …Consolation Jimmy I was there when Victoria played a shield game with Jackson and Mcintyre as their spinners and a little fat bloke called Warne and I Bagged him too rubbish player ended up the best ..fine judge me .good luck Jimmy.

• James Dowland says:

yeah shout mate, just see a big season coming from him and a potential change of guard for the key forward. Main thinking is that with vickery gone, riewoldt will be closer to goal and will get closer to his Coleman medal winning tally goals and along with high disposals. His scores will vary but those times he gets 160's can be game changers.

2. jockreynolds says:

Good man Jimmy D enjoyed the write up and admire the size of your plums. It's a firm no on my end

• James Dowland says:

Fair shout mate, just see potential upside and i'm a bloody passionate tiger and riewoldt lover.

3. Kev says:

Cracking write up Jimmy. I love/hate Jack being a Tigers man. I was actually a bit surprised when I saw his durability, he has only missed one game since 2010. There's just too many lows in his rollercoaster scoring for me to consider. He just doesn't take the game by scruff on the neck like your Buddy's and JJK's

I took a punt on Tom J Lynch after the byes spat me out completely out of contention last year. For a KPF he gave me no reason not to give him another look this year. Should be around 500k

4. Filly says:

Great write up JD. The thing is, I disagree and think the Tigers will win less games. No for me. Tigers 14th on ladder in 2017

5. gator59 says:

Sorry JD No tiger player will get a gig in my side next year..

6. Mac says:

Unless its for Bruyn manoeuvre I say its a no. Key forwards tend to be inconsistent with the exception of Buddy who gets up the ground and does everything.

7. Watto says:

Hopefully we don't lose too many fwd/mid players otherwise we may have to trust a key forward like Jack Riewoldt

8. I N Pieman says:

Nice write up JD. Cant see enough value & im sure he'd do my head in & id have to trade him. Same as what Rich did to me this season

• James Dowland says:

fair shout pieman

• I N Pieman says:

Having said that if the mid/fwds disappear then he could easily be a top 8 fwd option. See how it pans out. But as you've stated he drops big at some point & that might be the time to pick him off

9. James Dowland says:

Thanks mate much appreciated

10. MOC says:

As much as I love jack and I see some method to your madness, he's too inconsistent. Only two key forwards I'm considering next year: Buddy and big Tom Lynch.

11. neil demonsdelight says:

brunn or similar remember the bruynn move

12. Trevor says:

Thanks Jim but this is the wrong riewoldt. The ideal F7 if you can get him for less than 350k otherwise tie a bag of concrete to him and he'll make a reasonable anchor

13. wombatsfc says:

Hi Jimmy I reckon you must be a tigers fan to be considering Jack for 2017 his best was 5-6 years ago. He had an ankle reco and a finger fused at seasons end. He's a bit of a sook who grabs the first excuse to put in a half effort so expect to see heaps of limping and finger grabbing over the first 10 rounds.
    On the upside he seems to have recovered from the sulkiness he used to display when teammates got more media attention than him. Tigers may as well trade Jack for a signed photo of Nick and put Hampson at FF

14. Drflozz says:

No. closer to goal the more he'll struggle

15. Gaveday says:

Onya Jimmy D. Nice read. But I couldn't possibly pick a Richmond KP FWD in my life time. Scarred by Richo.
    Dusty my only tiger lock ATM.

16. Steeeve says:

Doesn't matter if he plays all 22 games each year. By the time SC finals roll around he should be on your bench anyway. Will cost $450k and is worth $450k.

17. Lisa25 says:

Better idea.

18. Tonu43 says:

Concrete has been rising in popularity because of law maintenance costs and wide variety of finishes available to the homeowner property manager and plaint maintenance manager. It is one of the most innovative and economical flouring options available today for residential, commercial and industrial flours. A Concrete Staining Houston provides a great service regarding this matter . It would be better for me if I found something about it in here, as I was searching it.