Isaac Heeney Supercoach 2017

Filed in AFL, AFL Fantasy 2017, Community Series, Supercoach, Supercoach 2017 by on October 27, 2016 • views: 4206

Isaac Heeney in Supercoach and AFL Fantasy 2017In my first series of articles for Jock I penned one called “The draft Theft of Isaac Heeney”.

It would be most unlike the AFL to afford ludicrous concessions to Sydney based clubs.

The GWS Giants 3rd grade NEAFL team now boasts a full team of first round draft picks. The ones they don’t want they toss to Carlton. Carlton’s ground will soon be sponsored by John West “for the fish the Giant’s reject”.

Whilst all of us are up in arms at the list the Giant’s have assembled, it’s worth noting the 2 best midfielders from the last 2 drafts have ended up on the Swans list. This is bloody lucky, because they don’t have enough gun Midfielders.

Callum Mills is a reasonable player. Played all his footy as a junior as a midfielder, Horse couldn’t find a spot for him there, so he threw him in the backline. And what do you know he won the rising star. If he gets moved to the midfield throw a few bucks on him to win the Brownlow.

The previous year & as the rules stated at the time you only needed to cough up your next pick to land your academy player. The bid came for Heeney by Melbourne at pick 2, The Swans next pick was about pick 18. The Swans got a bargain.

Jock Reynolds Supercoach Magazine 2017

2017 Supercoach Price: $433,400
2017 Position: FWD
Games last season: 20
Average in 2016: 79.65
100+ games last season: 4
Sub 80 games last season: 12
Price range in 2016: $313K – $451K
Missed games last season: 2. One rested & one in the NEAFL playing as a Midfielder
Significant history:
  • 2015: 12 games AV 70 Supercoach
  • 2016: 20 Games AV 80 Supercoach
  • (Heading in the right direction)

What interests me most about Heeney is his late season move to the Midfield. He averaged 94.25 during the finals playing more as a mid. The departure of Tom Mitchell also leaves a void that Heeney is ready made to step into. The Swans didn’t put up a fight to keep TMitch, they saw the retention of Heeney & Mills as far more important. And rightly so.

We know that it doesn’t matter how many Gun mids Sydney have. They all continue to score well. Is there room for another point pig? Absolutely.

RISK FACTOR

Only two that I can think of. Injury being the first. He does have a history of knee injuries,  but he wasn’t effected in 2016. The other is does he goes back to the Fwd line & play predominately Fwd. Have we been hoodwinked & Mills takes the Mid time.

SELECTION PURPOSE

There is no way you’d pick him as a Mid only. Who knows if he will have MID Status? Note from Jock – now confirmed as FWD only. It was only a late season move to the Mids.

But he will have FWD status, no doubt about that.  Regardless, there will be a changing of the guard in the FWD line. Dusty & Zerret will be MID only. Joey Montagna will be a DEF, & Lids doesn’t play enough to be fantasy relevant anymore. Did Zorko & Dahlhouse play enough in the FWD line to retain their status?  If they do lose that status then who do we have left?

Key position forwards…. Excuse me whilst I clean up the spew on my keyboard!

THE GOOD

• Where do you start.
  • Excellent overhead Mark
  • Pill magnet in the guts
  • Kicks goals

THE DOWNSIDE

• We don’t know his exact role for 2017
  • Can miss due to injury
  • 430K or thereabouts is a tricky price.

THE VERDICT

Like any business, it’s about turnover. If the FWD premiums we once had to rely on disappear then the next batch of guns need to be called upon.

There is no doubting the ability of Isaac Heeney, it’s all about the role. He will certainly be high on the radar during the NAB series. If it does look like he’s filling the void of Tom Mitchell then gee it will be hard to knock him back.

WATCH

Pieman

A NEW FORMAT PODCAST FOR THE OFF SEASON! CLICK HERE

Isaac Heeney Community Poll:

Where are you at with Isaac Heeney in 2017?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: , ,

1. BarronVonCrow says:

He's a tough one to peg for sure. I suspect the reason the Swans weren't massively worried about overpaying to keep Mitchell was because they knew they had this skillful bastard waiting in the wings. He's almost got his 50 games under his belt, that's your apprenticeship done, son. Time to unleash you in the midfield.

Normally that'd be a yippee ki yay situation, but the Sydney midfield is batting deep with Parker, JPK and Hannebery already there, so that's still enough to make me hesitate, but if he's a FWD selection I think he's just too good to pass up in that line.

• I N Pieman says:

Kind of says a bit about what they thought of TMitch just taking pick 14 & tossing him. I'd take him over Prestia & Prestia went for pick 6. But Heeney & Mills just important not to lock in. I'm certain Heeney will have at least Fwd status

• jockreynolds says:

Ripping article Pieman – and agree – he's almost certainly gonna be MID/FWD next season. Love your points about the loss of a stack of our FWD dpp options in the season ahead. You've swayed me from a 'highly consider' to a 'very very highly consider'. Wonder what happens to Jack with Mills and Heeney rising. Almost a forgotten man

• Jye says:

I'll take a stab that Jack remains in that midfield/flanker role where he can deliver pills inside 50 like the little legend he is. Not accumulating, just impact and quality pills.
          Mills still off halfback/wing with his elite kicking? Heeney into the guts.

• Jye says:

I think you've hit the nail on the head.
      In saying that too, Mitchell still averaged very well last year with Sydney's midfield depth and arguably Heeney is, or will become, a better player. Definitely more potential imo.

2. TRIGGER HAPPY says:

Bugger it Pieman,
    I knew someone would do Sir Isaac.
    Was halfway through penning an article myself.

Nice write up but. SIMILIAR STORY.

Great minds eh??

• jockreynolds says:

gday Trigger! Good to see you penning away mate – flick me an email mate on jockreynolds8 on the gmail and I'll set you up with a player

• I N Pieman says:

Absolutely great minds Trigger. I was watching him in the finals series thinking if TMitch moves on he's a real option in the Fwd line. Think many others are feeling the same way about him

3. Skindog says:

I won't touch him to start with, with TMitch gone to the Hawks it will be interesting to see who does the gut work for Sydney and how it works, I see him dropping in price first and then I'll have a look, TMitch though, that's another story,,,

4. Kev says:

Great stuff Pieman. How's the off season treating you? Any tinder stories to share with the community?

Couldn't agree more on Heeney. Not interested if he's floating around up forward. Put him in the guts where we can see more of his majestic blonde locks.

• I N Pieman says:

Off season is great Kev, that's peak Tinder season. But given the recent events in QLD, Tinder dates don't seem to like going to high rise apartments anymore. Hope you well mate

5. Steeeve says:

If he's forward eligible, he's in my side. Of course I say that now.

• jockreynolds says:

Haha you're a ripper Steeeve "I say that now" – everything seems a hell of a lot clearer at this time of year before the team structure battle kicks in a few weeks out from the season. Having said that, the kid does seem a bloody solid option with FWD eligibility, given as the Pieman says we'll lost quite a few good FWD dpp options in 2017.

6. gaveday says:

Great work pieman. You've hit the nail on the head, he's a watch, can't really commit to him for now. He's a gun though, reckon he'll become SC stalwart in years to come.

• I N Pieman says:

Agree Gaveday. He will be an auto lock at some point, It's just a matter of when. When we see what out options are it will become clearer. If the regulars disappear then we need new blood

7. neil says:

great choice pieman he is a lock with fwd status but too many guns in swans mids for mine Mills will stay def/mid .Heeney very similar to Tracca with dpp would both be locks.If Papley plays forward as much as this year cant see Heeney being there a lot which would lock him in

• I N Pieman says:

I think Mills will stay in the Swans defence for the best part. McVeigh is nearing the end & Mills did a great job. Papley only has one spot on the ground & Heeney playing through the mids in the back end of the season looks like a sign of things to come. Let's hope so. Can pump out 120+ scores

8. Trevor says:

Who gets the run with role now that TMitch is gone? I reckon heeney will.
    He's a gun and will pump out a few tons but I doubt he'll be a must have in fantasy

• Kev says:

A run with role only indicates to me that he'll be in the guts. Very much doubt he'll be a lock down player, absolute waste if that's the case.

Definitely not a must have have but worthy of a place on the watch list

• I N Pieman says:

I couldn't see him as a run with type. He's a lot more damaging than tmitch

• Trevor says:

Didn't he have a run with role. In one of the finals? Maybe that was Mills I can't remember anyway swans traded their tagger and haven't got another yet. I doubt that JPK Hanners will play that role and Jacks are too slow.

• jockreynolds says:

Just made me scratch the old chin Trevor. I don't reckon The Heen will be the go to as a runwith when one is required – just makes me wonder who is. Anyone?

9. Don't Blush Baby says:

Good work Mr.Pieman, This blokes hands are also exceptional in tight situations and thats why he was introduced to the Midfield , if he gets the DPP , I'm in at approx 430k

• I N Pieman says:

Fantastic hands. I recall a ball tearer of a one handed grab going back with the flight in the forward line he grabbed in the finals. Majestic

10. Patch says:

Beautiful stuff Pieman. Getting very excited for this kid!

11. anthony says:

i reckon heeney as a fwd is a good pick gotta take the punt on some players