Marcus Bontempelli Supercoach 2017

Filed in AFL, AFL Fantasy 2017, Community Series, Supercoach, Supercoach 2017 by on October 25, 2016 • views: 4491

Bontampelli AFL Fantasy and SupercoachPremium mid – but can he take it to the next level?

By Ben Madden

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve heard about the Western Bulldogs ending their 62 year premiership drought this year. Bloody good stuff. And they couldn’t have done it without the man running their midfield, Marcus Bontempelli.

The question on everyone’s lips is this – will The Bont take it to the next level in 2017?

We’d all love to say yes, but Supercoach is won using logic and cold hard facts, not sentiment. Having said that, it’s hard not to see Bont being one of the first few names on your 2017 Supercoach Watchlist.

2017 Supercoach Price: $586,100
2017 Position: MID
Games last season: 22
Average last season: 107.7
100+ games last season: 14
Sub 80 games last season: 4
Price range last season: $462K – $591K
Missed games last season: Nil
Significant history:
  • 16 games in 2014
  • 20 games in 2015 averaging 103.2
  • Played all 22 games in 2016 averaging 107.7

JOCK, CROUCHING & HIGGO ARE BACK TODAY – CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE ON iTUNES

RISK FACTOR

The worry with Marcus Bontempelli is not that he’ll deliver premium output. It’s not every day that you see a 20 year old carry his team for large amounts of the year. The risk with the Bont is that he will stagnate, and you’re paying for a premium that won’t stack up to the Dangerfields and Fyfes (if he makes it back) of this world.

Bontempelli averaged 116 from rounds 7-22. Over a season, that would have put him as the 4th best player of the 2016 season. Obviously, the question is whether he can produce that sort of form over a whole season. Here’s why I think he will.

The Bulldogs, and Bont, are only going to get tougher, meaner, older, and bigger. He’ll be receiving support from the other cogs in the midfield more and more, and the Bulldogs will have a point to prove next year, having won the premiership from an unprecedented 7th. He plays a wonderful Supercoach game, averaging just over 10 contested possessions a game, and always popping up for a goal or 2 when you least expect it (one of the golden rules of supercoach – goal kicking midfielders basically write a blank cheque for themselves).

SELECTION PURPOSE

You’re not selecting Marcus Bontempelli with an eye to trade him out. You want 22, rolled gold games from the young Dog. Picking Marcus Bontempelli is (hopefully) locking in a spot for him in your completed midfield, as you want him to be a player you can trust.

Jock Reynolds Supercoach Magazine 2017

THE GOOD

• At only 20 years old, another pre-season will do him a world of good
  • Young team around him, vital cog of the midfield
  • Can score a goal or 2

THE DOWNSIDE

• Potential to get even more attention for the opposition
  • Has he already peaked?
  • The Dogs may fall back to the pack

THE VERDICT

Maybe next year is the year Marcus Bontempelli returns to Earth, having spent the 2016 playing like a man possessed. It could also be the year he wins a Brownlow. It’ll be a risk to start with Bontempelli, and he could very well prove to be a dud pick. But you might just find yourself kicking yourself if you don’t start him. I’ll be picking him, pending a horrible pre-season from the lad.

Ben Madden

Reach out to Ben on Twitter: benmaddentweets

THE PODCAST IS BACK TODAY! NEW FORMAT FOR THE OFF SEASON

Marcus Bontempelli Community Poll:

Where are you at with Marcus Bontempelli in 2017?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: ,

1. gator59 says:

Will be starting with The Bont in 2017.. He bloody gun

2. Nick says:

Great stuff here Ben, I think he's the best young midfielder in the comp and with the doggies losing some crucial midfield depth in the off season such as Stevens, he should be a lock to average 110+

3. Billy says:

Going all in on the kids in 2017: Cripps, Bont amd Heeney will all be in my 20q7 side

• jockreynolds says:

There's a definite change of the guard happening isn't there Billy! An interesting year for premium mid selection coming up.

• Ben says:

I'm definitely considering it as well Nick. Heeney with Mitchell gone is so tasty. Young players are usually more durable, and i am looking to pick the most durable players i can in 2017.

• Billy says:

Agree 100% Ben. Got myself into the top 100 last year but ended up 281 as injuries piled up at the end. Expect bont to ave at least 115 and heeney to take mitchells mid minutes

4. Jambo says:

The Bont was a handy late-season. I'm highly considering starting with him. Love the article Ben!
    After researching and writing my article on Cam Guthrie, I'm contemplating picking Guthrie next season. I emailed it to him last night. Hopefully, Jock will put it up on this website today.

5. I N Pieman says:

Love ya work Ben. I'll be looking for ever reliable durable players. Sick of trading premos. The likes of Danger Selwood Pendles with young bucks Bont Cripps & Neale high in calculations. The question is can they all fit in. This draft is choc full of midfielders. Therefore we shouldn't be scraping the barrel for rookie mids in round 1. What we can cram into those 11 spots for round 1 remains to be seen.

• Ben says:

I'm going to try and replicate my starting team last year (top 100 finish, so did something right!) as closely as I can. Bont and Cripps are so tasty. Don't fall into the neale trap with fyfe back though, may burn a few imo.

• I N Pieman says:

Top 100. Great season Ben! I'm probably keener on Bont & Cripps over Neale. But Neale is extremely durable, think he's missed one game in the last 3 seasons

6. BarronVonCrow says:

Great stuff, Ben.

There's only one downside I can see to picking Bontempelli (and this will apply to Cripps too). Everyone and their mother will be starting with him next year.

7. Kev says:

Bont potentially under 600k has made me the most aroused I've been this week.

I get tingles watching the great man emerge from packs like a gazelle. Will be front and centre in my team next year

8. neil demonsdelight says:

great article Ben Cripps and Heeney in front but an upgrade other two keepers

9. Danners says:

Great work Ben! The Bont is definitely high on my radar, although there are so many around the same price

10. wombatsfc says:

Thanks Ben, I started with him this year but I wont be starting him in 2017 unless a few others fall over during pre-season. I don't know the actual data but I have a feeling that premiership midfielders usually start the following year slowly from a SC perspective. I will trade him in during the byes.
    You stated "Bontempelli averaged 116 from rounds 7-22. Over a season, that would have put him as the 4th best player of the 2016 season."
    This is a bit of an apples V. Oranges comparison, his rank amongst all others from rounds 7-22 is probably more relevant. I'd like to know that rank if you have it, maybe post the top 30 from rounds 7-22

• Ben says:

Very good point wombat, and i dont have those stats rn, but will endeavour to put them together this off-season. I included that to demonstrate the scoring power he has, and i feel the bulldogs as a whole started slowly.

I think Bontempelli will make or break a few seasons, including yours if he fires and you don't have him! Good luck my friend.

• I N Pieman says:

Wombat if you can prove some premiership midfield hangover stats it would make fascinating reading! Bring it on

• wombatsfc says:

Not a lot can be proven in this world pieman, unless you're absurdly wealthy.
          I can't be bothered doing actual research but I reckon SMitch, JLewis, JPK,and Jelwood were premiership midfielders who started slowly the following year

11. Daveman says:

Lock him in, throw away the key.

And whack a pineapple on him for the brownlow.

• Steeeve says:

Not a bad move there with the fiddy Davey. Likely to get the Fyfe treatment — everyone knows he's got one coming so once he starts the season like a shower of shit the umps will have him basically locked.

12. Northernsoul74 says:

The Bont had a very limited preseason last year so was always going to start slow.

13. Liam says:

Had him locked him but now that everyone is going to choose him I won't be.
    Those PODs are crucial in this game. I can always trade him in later if he is tearing it up.

14. Steeeve says:

Bont locked.
    Danger locked.
    Cripps… Probably going to be my first upgrade target. Two years in a row he's started slowly then gone ballistic.

Zerrett (if FWD) locked.
    Heeney (if FWD) locked.

Jaeger? If under $250k. Locked.

15. Gawdk says: