Supercoach 2015 – Beau Waters

Filed in Supercoach, Supercoach 2015, West Coast Eagles by on November 2, 2014 • views: 20173

Can he overcome injury to feature in 2015?

TG Footy Tracgic - DexterIt’s pretty safe to say; Beau Waters has the durability of blown glass. Knock him and he’ll break. Yes, it is common knowledge that injuries have cruelled him for most of his career – these range from small niggles, to full blown reconstructive surgery. Beau has been on the sidelines for most of 2013, and all of 2014.

After a solid off-season; Waters started 2013 in a blaze of glory, tonning up in his opening 2 games – only to tweak his calf in the warm-up of game 3. He returned round 5 for a lackluster 71, only to injure his Adductor (groin). He missed another 2 weeks to return for round 8 – yep – the poor bastard injured his quad; missing another 3 games (4 – including the bye).

Post bye; he clearly struggled and averaged 68 over the next three – soon after having a scope to fix a small knee issue. He recovered fairly well from the knee, but club doctors decided to pull stumps on a horrible year and send him in for a shoulder operation to attempt to re-stablise his shoulder.

He injured the shoulder a few times in the 2014 off-season, and it was decided to do a full blown reconstruction on the shoulder; thus killing his 2014 campaign before it even started. What you may not know is; give him a full injury free pre-season and a good run, and his output is elite. 2012 will be the year we look at.

2015 Price: $267,200
2015 Position: DEF
Games last season: 0 (7 in 2013)
Average last season: 0 (82.9 in 2013)
100+ games last season: 0 (2 in 2013)
Sub 80 games last season: 0 (3 in 2013)
Price range last season: $402k – DID NOT PLAY IN 2014
Missed games last season: ALL (Shoulder) – 15 in 2013 (Calf, Groin, Quad, Knee, Shoulder)
Significant history: Averaged 82.9 in 2013 (injury ravaged), 100.3 in 2012
Suspended 1 week in 2012 – rough conduct.
Drafted at pick 11 in the 2003 National draft.
Rising Star nominee 2004
Premiership Player in 2006
All Australian in 2012 – Half Back Flank

CLICK HERE FOR ALL OF OUR SUPERCOACH 2015 PLAYER PREVIEWS

Due to the constant time off in 2013 and 2014, I will be analysing his 2012 year – as he was (mostly) fit then.

Beau Waters averaged 100.3 SC points in 2012 – including 10 tons and 2 sub 80 scores. Further analysis saw; 2 131+ scores, 2 121-130 scores and 6 100-120 point games. Not bad for a defender.

Of his sub 100 scores, 1 was in the 90’s – 6 were in the 80’s. His 2 sub 80 scores saw a 76 and a 50.

Statistically; 2012 was a career best year for Waters. He secured his maiden All-Australian Guernsey and recorded his most Brownlow votes in a season (4).

In 2012; Waters missed 2 games due to a knee scope and 1 game from suspension. He averaged 22.1 disposals a game; 14.5 of which were kicks. His standout stat was his disposal efficiency. He averaged a majestic 81% DE – with a low of 69%. He also didn’t record many clangers, averaging 2.3 clangers in 19 games. Waters kicked a lot, and boasted HIGH efficiency – Tick.

RISK FACTORS

Did I mention “glass man” – more likely to be injured than play.

SELECTION PURPOSE

If you were considering starting Waters; keep him while his body lasts – keeping in mind he will most likely get injured. KEEP A TRADE ON HAND FOR HIM.

THE GOOD

• Absolute ELITE disposal efficiency. SC Gold.
  • Kicks twice as much as handballs – Tick.
  • Priced to average 66. If he plays, he’ll average AT LEAST 80. Value for $.

THE DOWNSIDE

• “Glass Man” – likely to be on the sidelines.
  • Hasn’t played in almost 2 years, is he still good enough?

THE VERDICT

Watch him like a hawk if you plan to run with him. Watch him and hope beyond hope that his body holds up. If he stays fit, he’ll be a top 10 defender. Waters boasts insane levels of efficiency, clean hands and good decision making; All good traits for Supercoach.

I’m considering him. But, like most coaches; A LOT needs to align for me to run him. As I stated before; you’ll need to keep a trade up your sleeve, because WHEN he gets injured – you’ll want to boot him while you can. Don’t ride the injury rollercoaster.

If the powers that be decide to keep the trades at 30 – I’d say; make him one of your “risky picks”.

If the trade total is wound back to 24, DON’T RISK HIM!

For me, Waters is a…

NO (pending the release of the official 2015 prices and trade totals)

Dexter

Twitter: @TG_Footy_Tragic

BECOME A JOCK MEMBER – EXTENDED LENGTH MONTHLY PODCASTS

AFL Supercoach Legend Jock Reynolds
This article has been penned by an elite Supercoach analyst hand picked from the talent pool of the Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Community. He has stood up within our community as a man of fantasy substance, and has displayed the spirit of togetherness, positivity and community that we value significantly.

Tags:

1. Phil says:

Great review. This is a genuine 50/50 for me. I can see him being the mid pricer who is always coming in and out of my side depending on funds. It's a risk if you pick him and a risk if you don't….

2. throttlefinger says:

Damn, another excellent HMMMMMMMMMM profile, Dex!

Lot to consider. Not someone you just want to slot in for sure. If his price is good enough and he looks strong in preseason, may try to ride until the bumpers start falling off. Gotta take chances in that back line. Again, a well presented review for a very complex SC player.

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

If your looking for a stacked midfield Throts then guys like this are crucial. This is another guy who sits somewhere between arousal & nightmares based on his injury history & what he can do with some continuity. Having Mitch Clarke Beau Waters & Kruezer will cause many sleepless nights!

• throttlefinger says:

Ha. Many, many nights, Pieman. And I will be trying to stack that mid as much as possible this season. Think it's less of a risk hoping the fallen can rise back than getting someone like Dunn or Darling who will be cheaper yet haven't shown much to begin with.

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

You do need a risky pick or 2 but Dunn & Darling are key position. But Dunn did pull out some great scores. Shame you probably missed them all lol

• throttlefinger says:

Ha. I did. Think you're right about DPP are the best bet in front/back lines. Yet, there's a part of me thinks there's a couple KPP that won't disappoint you COMPLETELY. I'll take a mild disappoint here and there.

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Unless they are dirt cheap throttle they all tend to disappoint me! I had buddy as my only KPP this year & after 6 rounds I was done with KPP for good I think. Except bargains like Mitch Clarke could be an exception

• throttlefinger says:

Right. They almost need to be seen as rookies. Means to a greater end. Nothing permanent. Buddy is probably the exception, yet I think he only starts warming up after 5-6 games. In other words, unless a great value, avoid.

Ahhh Pieman, always delivering the tasty insight.

3. Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

That’s a noodle scratcher Dex. Get a feeling due to the 2 years of injuries he could come in sub 300k. And if the stars aligned with a solid preseason he’d be tough to knock back. We need value & he could be on the menu. Love your work Dex, fantastic research & delivery.

4. Cheers fellas!
    I had Waters in my draft team in 2012 & i remembered him dominate.

INP – I think he will be cheaper too, but it's not an exact science when the player misses more than 1 year. It might be @ 70% price. If that's the case, expect him to be around 312k – priced to avg 58.
    That's even better value!

A definite noodle scratcher indeed!

5. Dools says:

Great work Dex,
    I 'm leaning towards (60/40) picking him up on a "Hail Mary Pass" and he does the right thing. I'm not concerned about his age I just need him to be on the park for the 1st 6 – 7 rounds.
    Of course this is very dependant on pre season, number of trades available, who has Mid/ Def eligibility and Keyboard, Next G and Silent Slipper!!
    Once again Dex great write up

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

He’s going to the reason for many trips to the fridge Dools! You can’t make that call over 1 or 2.

• Dools says:

Totally agree Itchy, I see that as a win , win LOL

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Thought you might see that as a reason to get into the fridge first thing this morning lol I almost did it for you it caused me that much apprehension & arousel

6. Big_BenFC says:

Great article Dex

7. Canny the Manny says:

Big fan Dex, like your thinking. I'm actually really annoyed because Beau was going to be my secret weapon next season as I thought I was the only one who hadn't forgot him but I guess the secret's out now! There was a recent article where Eric Mackenzie was saying that they couldn't wait to get him back in the playing team, so I'm thinking despite the downside to selecting him in the 2015 season, there's still some serious supercoach relevance. Beau could be that stepping stone player required in your backline.

8. General Soreness says:

Ripping article again Dex. 100% with you on the NO!!!! There is no 0 on Moh's scale of hardness but if there was Beau Waters would rank somewhere between 0 and 1.