Supercoach 2015 – Jack Ziebell

Filed in North Melbourne, Supercoach, Supercoach 2015 by on October 31, 2014 • views: 2402

JACK OF ALL THE HYPE?

MasoWhile playing alongside Steele Sidebottom in the Bushrangers premiership year in 2008 Jack Ziebell averaged 18 disposals, 2 goals and 6 marks. You could see why North would have been gagging to pick him up at pick 9. Why then – after 6 seasons – have we not been picking this bloke?

He burst out of the blocks in his debut season in 2009 and was rewarded with a round 7 NAB Rising Star Nomination. He was labelled as a “superstar in the making” by his former coach Dean Laidley. However he has never really reached that hype on a consistent basis and a few factors play a bit role here.

2015 Price: $449,600
2015 Position: MID/FWD
Games last season: 17 (H&A)
Average last season: 83.6
100+ games last season: 7
Sub 80 games last season: 7
Price range last season: $373200 – $513600
Missed games last season: 5 (Rnd 3, 4&5 Shoulder, Rnd16&17 knee soreness)
Significant history: Averages only 16 games a season with only 1 season playing more than 20 games.
2009 season was cut short (10) with a broken leg – average 60.4
2010 season was also cut short (14) with a broken leg – average 62.3
2011 season was 21 games at average of 79.0
2012 season was cut short (16) due to 6 games suspended (2 from end of 2011) –average 81.1
2013 season was cut short (18) due to 3 game suspension – average 95.2
2014 season was cut short (17) due to shoulder injury and knee soreness -average 83.6

CLICK HERE FOR ALL OF OUR SUPERCOACH 2015 PLAYER PREVIEWS

Risk Factor

After having shoulder surgery at the end of the season and set to return to the track after Christmas he would have to be in the big risk category after only being able to have 1 out of 6 seasons above 20 games.

Selection Purpose

I would only be selecting Ziebell if he manages to pick up DPP, maybe if you were going a 7/3 midfield then he could slot in but for that strategy I would assume you would be looking at safer picks.

The Good

• Averages 4.48 tackles per games over his career
  • Won’t be tagged
  • Loves the contested stuff

The Downside

• Low scores can be really low
  • Butchers the ball ( averages around 63% over his career)
  • Injury and suspension history

Verdict

Looking into Jack I can see the potential he could have as a Mid/Fwd (confirmed position MID/FWD), not sure I would have the testicular fortitude to pick him as a Mid only though. He could be one to keep an eye on during the pre-season especially with Levi moving to the pies but don’t get sucked in. He is a very good player for North but that doesn’t always translate to being a very good player for your supercoach team.

Not likely

Maso

Twitter: @maso_78

BECOME A JOCK MEMBER – EXTENDED LENGTH MONTHLY PODCASTS

AFL Supercoach Legend Jock Reynolds
This article has been penned by an elite Supercoach analyst hand picked from the talent pool of the Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Community. He has stood up within our community as a man of fantasy substance, and has displayed the spirit of togetherness, positivity and community that we value significantly.

Tags:

1. Dools says:

Great review Maso,

Jack Z is more a player to avoid in SC. If he goes for $450K with DPP I think I will avoid.

• MASO says:

yup i started of as a hell no but i will say with 2 broken legs in 1st 2 seasons could see him be a late bloomer and have moved him on to not likely list , he could be 2015's robbie gray just needs a decent run at ? but not likely :)

• throttlefinger says:

Agree. He could have a little Robbie Gray in him if DPP. Maybe not as seismic of an effect but has the talent to make a bigger SC impact/

2. Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Good work Maso. Unless the DPP appears it’s hard to make a case. He just seems like a good ordinary player, & that translates to SC scores.

• MASO says:

yup low 90 average at best so maybe F5-6 ? would take some massive coconuts to select him and norths early draw is worse then their 2nd half of season

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Good point Maso. Now we can factor the draw into write ups. Do you think he’s a realistic chance for DPP?

• MASO says:

i dont think he will, he played fwd more in his last 7 games and kicked 11 goals but i really dont know how they calculate their DPP eligibility

3. throttlefinger says:

Serious edge on that review blade, Maso! Gets right to it, my man. Agree with you and the gents above. DPP he would be worth considering. In fact, he could be a lock for the forward line given his potential. Sure the Roos are lighting a fire under his ass. Maybe this is the year he breaks through. For that price, he would be worth the roll of the dice in the FWD line. Only MID, he's Casper.

4. General Soreness says:

Was interested to see this review thanks Maso for you insights. Reinforces why I use my 10ft pole when anyone suggests Ziebell. 7 sub 80's in 2014 + 2 other scores of 82 and 85, 2013 (best SC ave) 4 sub 80's + 3 others at 84 or less, 2012 7 sub 80 scores. So for a guy who played, 17, 18 and 16 games from 2014, 2013 and 2012 respectively that means that in 2014 he went sub 85, 52.9% of the time and missed another 5 games, in 2013 he went sub 84 38.88% of the time and missed 4 games, in 2012 he went sub 80 43.75% of the time and missed 6 games. To flatten his average across all 22 games, in 2014 he is at 64.6, 2013 is 77.89 and 2012 is 58.98. All said and done he could have DPP, Fwd,Mid,Ruc,Def eligibility and I will still treat him like an Ebola patient. Staying away.

• Agree General. Too inconsistent for a dependable SC option.
      Great review Maso!

• Dools says:

Maybe I have erred on the side of caution here Maso,
        Keyboard Next G and Silent Slipper are adamant . He will not Underscore NOT be in any reckoning for 2015 (Unless he trains the House down LOL)
        The General sums it up nicely, he is SC Ebola.
        "Don't lick it , Touch it, or eat it!!!! " Wasted trades! At his best an AFL Journeyman!

• throttlefinger says:

Is he REALLY that bad, General? I see a bit of an upside to him if he gets DPP. Will be 24 so this should be the year he turns the corner. I like the kid. Hardnosed. Maybe this is year he gets it right. At the price he is a value. And for SC, values are valuable.

• lostlarrikin says:

Nice piece Maso.

I'm with you Throts.

Jay-Z didn't set the joint on fire early but from around mid season things changed.
        A few pieces of the puzzle started to fall into place for the Roos, most notably the return of Swallow and the emergence of Greenwood. Add to this the significant improvement in Gibson and the inclusion of Dal, and you have a pumping midfield that has the flexibility to send Ziebell up fwd more.

Mind you the second half of the season was still a roller coaster, but quite a few of these dips are justifiable and not purely form related:
        Rnd 15 – injury SC 50
        Rnd 18 – green vest SC 22
        Rnd 21 – red vest SC 61

Normally this guy is very kick happy, but a couple of games (rnd 13 and PFinal) he was given run with roles which saw his kick ratio bottom out along with his SC output.

I'm not saying this guy is a lock, but will def be on my watch list if he gets DPP.
        The risk is that he returns to the guts with the departure of Greenwood and his goal scoring dries up or kick ration drops.

• throttlefinger says:

Roos games I watched he did look a tad lost out there. Agree with you LostOne that if he returns to the guts and no DPP, he will be mentioned in SC conversations as much as Puopolo.

In my opinion, a bad season last year on a wildly inconsistent and searching side. Roos were very Jekyll and Hyde which benefitted some players (like the ones you mentioned Nicky D, Greenwood and Gibson)

5. Phil says:

As a mid only it's a definite no! You would be better off paying an extra 50k for his captain Swallow…..

As a FWD, it's close to a 50/50 for me. I'd probably lean towards a no, just because I think there will be some fairly good value in that area. Would you pick him for 450k with Norths challenging early draw (as Maso pointed out) or would you prefer Taylor Walker for roughly the same, maybe a tad less, with Adelaide's nice early draw? Tex for me.
    Id like to say I'll put him on my watch list, but the problem with that is he is a pre-season bolter…..So I think I'll just give it a straight out no regardless of DPP

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Tex walker can be up & down like any key forward Phil. I can’t stomach them anymore. Although Mitch Clarke at around 200k would be tough to pass up.

6. Chicko says:

Maso, you are a gentleman and a scholar. I am of the same opinion, but I would rather have Cotchin than Ziebel and we all know what I think about Cotchin! Ziebel is a massive no for mine, but you have said it in a much more considerate manner. Great work on pulling out the significant history, just shows for mine that it would take some gorilla size nurries to look past that background. Well done my man.

7. Blueprime says:

That is a no from me.

8. Creeker says:

Great work Maso. Could only consider if he has dpp status. Can go huge on his day but a epic rollercoaster ride awaits. Almost a Trav Cloke size rollercoaster.