Supercoach 2015 – Nathan Jones

Filed in Melbourne, Supercoach, Supercoach 2015 by on October 13, 2014 • views: 2019

Will His Star Ever Shine in the SuperCoach Sky?

ThrottlefingerSince I’ve started watching footy, one team that I’ve tried my best to avoid was the Melbourne Demons. Meek offense. Defensive pressure seemed optional. Every quarter bathed with eye-pinching blunders and Norm-Smith-grave-spinning miscues.

In general, a Dees game was like being stuck in 45°C closet watching a Gwyneth Paltrow romantic comedy next to a bucket of horse piss. The only ray of sunshine was witnessing the unceasing tenacity of Nathan Jones. With the bald head, stocky frame and covered in lightly menacing tattoos, he looked like a lowbrow version of Gary Ablett.

And like the Little Master, Jones did it all for the Dees. He led them in disposals, clearances, contested possessions and disposal efficiency, just name a few categories. Yet unlike Gazza, Jones’ SC averages were rather, well, unAblett-like (89-97-90 for 2011-2013). So same I started calling him “Bogan Ablett.”

Watching Jones you saw a hungry warrior on a lame duck team. It didn’t take stealing The Crouching One’s slipper to figure out with a stronger coach and supporting cast, Jones’ SC average would be heading head north for the season.

Enter Paul Roos and a bangle of midfielders (the other position group classifications: a shart of defenders, a manatee of rucks and a flan of forwards). Roos’ disposal heavy system was tailored made for Jones. And with newbies Bernie Vince, Daniel Cross and Dom Tyson aboard, he’d have a talented posse to help boost his game.

And man, did his’ game take an upswing. How about we belly up to the stats bar and do some Nathan Jones shots…

2015 Price: $581,200
2015 Position: MID
Games last season: 22
Average last season: 108.1
100+ games last season:  13
Sub 80 games last season:  2
Price range last season: $486k-$550k
Missed games last season: 0
Significant history: Ranked 4th in total effective disposals in 2014
Dee’s B&F for 3rd straight year (ties Jim Stynes)
Has only missed 3 games in 5 seasons

CLICK HERE FOR ALL OF OUR SUPERCOACH 2015 PLAYER PREVIEWS

Going from a 90 SuperCoach average to 108 is pretty Bon Scott rawkin’ (Hi Wombats!). Looking at some of the numbers that matter to coaches, his disposal output increased by a whopping 100! (509 to 610) His tackling jumped from 76 to 115. And because being in the guts is Jones’ candy and nuts, his clearance numbers were as stout as always (6.3/game, ranked 6th for total clearances).

These are premium mid numbers put up by someone whose only gear is balls-out. The question is: can Jones’ play rise to touch the hem of SC eliteness in 2015? Or will he put his 108 average under cinder blocks in the front yard and stay the Bogan Ablett?

RISK FACTOR

Although Jones doesn’t go sub 80 too often, when he does the numbers can sink pretty low (60 and 71. And in 2013 he shat a 46…with a 92% time on ground). Surprisingly his lowest 2014 score was against GWS. And like a lot of premium mids, Jones’ highest scores come early when his SC price is wearing tails and a top hat.

SELECTION PURPOSE

Jones’ battle-tested body and increased SC numbers are impressive. But is it enough to slot in our side?

THE GOOD

• Plays through injuries so you don’t have to worry about a last-minute out.
  • And effort never wanes. Puts it all on the field.
  • With another year under Roos and his supporting cast growing in confidence, Jones’ numbers shouldn’t regress.
  • A reliable tonner is always a good addition.

THE BAD

• Not a goal scorer. Weakest area by far. 7 goals this year. 8 goals in 2013. Maybe because his goal accuracy is 43%.
  • When he goes big, it’s not HUGE. That’s not technically bad, I know. But 142 was his 2014 tops. And his highest career SC score is 156…notched back in 2007! So for the price, Jones isn’t gonna deliver that whopper score you expect your premium mids to deliver.

THROTTLE DECREES

Slotting Jones from the start would probably qualify you for anti-psychotic medication. In the 2014 Prospectus’ review of the Demon it stated that it’s not a good sign for your team if Nathan Jones is your #1 midfielder. And I agree.

While his determination and dogs-of-war approach are traits I admire, there’s rarely anything he does that’s transcendent. And his SC numbers reflect that. Solid and impressive, yes. But rarely inspiring peak arousal levels.

Heyo Community! Spot on or I’m out to lunch? Let’s rumble!

THROTTLEFINGER

Twitter: @throttlefinger

THE 2015 SUPERCOACH OFF SEASON SERIESAFL Supercoach Legend Jock Reynolds
This article has been penned by an elite Supercoach analyst hand picked from the talent pool of the Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Community. He has stood up within our community as a man of fantasy substance, and has displayed the spirit of togetherness, positivity and community that we value significantly.

Tags:

1. Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Solid assesment Throts regarding watching Melbourne & a Gweneth Paltrow romantic comedy. Both painful. Nath Jones lifted his average, but he doesn't have the ceiling, lack of goalsasf you pointed out. Great work Throts, very enjoyable read

2. General Soreness says:

Great work again Throtts! I am with you on the NO for many a reason not the least of which there are more consistent proven SC performers with higher ceilings at the same price. The way you described watching the Dees play made me squirm so much it was like I was actually at the game!

• throttlefinger says:

High compliment coming from you, General. Puts a cherry on the fun writing the article. Jones is a player you admire when you watch, yet just doesn't have that overdrive you want in your SC players. Again, appreciate the kind words. Now I have to find time to do my next article!!!!

3. HAHA! Love to read your articles Throtts!

Always good for a laugh, and a great write-up to boot.

Agree on Nathan Jones. Unless he gets subbed out with -4 points and misses a game from concussion and shows no ill effect from the KO – in the process dropping 150k or so – would I consider him as an M7-8…

In other words… not for my team.

• throttlefinger says:

Agreed, Dex. Actually think Tyson may be a more attractive option. But even at his price, there are better options.

Thanks for the ego-boosting remarks. Will push me to match it on future articles.

4. Phil says:

Great article yet again, but no for me too. Ceilings the big one for me. 140-150 is the ceiling I look for in a Fwd/Def , not a Mid. Id rather a more inconsistent younger player with a larger ceiling as consistency usually improves with age.

• throttlefinger says:

Very good point, Phil. Nathan is intriguing but only briefly so. Lotta sound SC qualities but nothing to make you consider him seriously. Be interesting if anyone in the Dees midfield will be SC relevant. Maybe Vince or Cross. Really will come down to price and NAB play. Regardless, very happy you dug the article.

5. Garglesnarf FC says:

Great review Throttle. Even if you were going for 6 x Permo mids I couldnt find a spot him. If he chucks in a 43 around upgrade time I may find a spot him, but unlikely.

• throttlefinger says:

Gargle! Thanks my man. Yeah, think there's more SC promise in Vince, Cross or even Tyson. I wouldn't be surprised if Tyson is this year's Ollie Wines. We shall see.

6. Chicko says:

Great review Throtts, as a fellow bald eagle to Nat Jones, I have a large amount of empathy for the bald headed warrior, but there is no room for compassion in this game! A no for mine!

• throttlefinger says:

Hey thanks Chicko! I have lots of empathy for him as well. But like you said, it's not a family reunion, it's cutthroat SC play. Can't pop the collar and go Breakfast Club on your picks. (and yes, I'm aware I'm aging myself).

7. Donavan says:

Great write-up Throts,

Jones will find himself on my watch-list, but not likely to make my midfield either.

Gweneth Paltrow wont be making my team either, nor my watch-list, as there are others that I would rather having warming my bench positions.

8. lostlarrikin says:

Champagne comedy Throtts!
    Great analysis to boot.

Yeah I share the same sentiments, in that we have probably seen Jones at his peak.
    If anything, I predict a slight decline in 2015.
    Tbh I would prefer to ride the Libba roller coaster (at a potentially similar price point) than entertain Jones.

Loving the work community, looking fwd to some analysis on the likes of Prestia, Cunnington and Duncan who are primed to take advantage of more TOG next yr.

• throttlefinger says:

Yeah, those 3 are going to be on many a radar come NAB, Lostlarrikin. Sure one of us are going to breakdown each of them along with Libba. Be interesting how he responds to a less than spectacular season…and a new coach. Will Griff out make his job even harder? But agree, rather take a chance on him than NJ.

Thanks for the rousing comment. Kind words from those I respect so highly make it very worthwhile endeavor.

9. Dools says:

Nice TF, more quality again.

I have not discounted Jonesy just yet. If he played for any team other then the Dees he would be a rollikin great player with more exposure in front of the goals. He is a bright light in the Demons team so maybe it will make him, dare I say it “Ablettesque” if the promised improvement comes from the team.

However, his projected price for 2015 is $580K …Thats daunting.

I will look very closely at the dees preseason before I make the call on him. But I think you are right…more “Research” required LOL

• throttlefinger says:

Thanks buddy.

I'm a bit more attracted to Tyson. Did some nice numbers throughout the whole year and ended with 2 tons. 94 average. Think he could be this year's Ollie Wines. But like you said, more consultations with keyboard and frig required.