Supercoach 2015 – Adam Treloar

Filed in Greater Western Sydney, Supercoach, Supercoach 2015 by on September 30, 2014 • views: 3346

The name rhymes with “score” & “galore”

ThrottlefingerGreetings from County of Kings, Brooklyn, NYC!

As a board-certified Yank and lover of all things footy, I’m often asked since I didn’t grow up in the land of the centre bounce, what team do I barrack for?

Well, good ol’ Throtts has been watching since 2010 Grand Final (Sorry Jock. <insert sad fiddle>). And I liked a lot of teams. But as a lifelong fan of Cleveland sports teams, I didn’t feel right jumping on any team’s bandwagon. Those type of fans are the curry fart of sports…a bad stench that takes a shampoo or two to get out of your hair.

Only logical choice? The new team coming in…GWS. And I have been a member of the club every since. (No shitting ya. Have the guernsey and membership card to prove it.)

This coming-of-footy-age blather dovetails nicely into discussing the play of young Adam Treloar. As a fan of the club since inception, I’ve watched many GWS games. Most of the early year games were like watching a bunch of tequila-fueled Marines stomp on school crossing guards. Yet, the bright spot has been witnessing a team of immensely talented youngsters come into their own.

Especially the one I call The Babyface Assassin. As Barron Von Crow said of Treloar in his 2014 review of the Giants: “…don’t let the fact that he looks like a 12-year-old schoolboy fool you, this kid can play.”

CLICK HERE FOR ALL OF OUR SUPERCOACH 2015 PLAYER PREVIEWS

And play his ass off he did. Whaddayasay we put on our SuperCoach swim trunks and take a quick dip into the info pool…

2015 Price: $577,800
2015 Position: MID
Games last season: 20
Average last season: 107.5
100+ games last season: 14
Sub 80 games last season: 2
Price range last season: $470k-$560k
Missed games last season: 2 games rounds 8 (ankle) and 17 (groin)
Significant history: Averaged 87 in 2013, 83 in 2012
2013 averaged a team-high 24 possessions across his 20 games
Interviewed his hero The Rock for the Australian premiere of Hercules. (Did OK. Would’ve asked at least one Undertaker question)

There’s alotta tasty Supercoach meat on that bone, my friends. That his game improved wasn’t a surprise. That Treloar would turn into Dr. Hot Nuts with the pill and boost his SC average by 20 points was a delicious surprise.

What did he do differently in 2014? Most noticeably, Treloar upped his tackling. Had 68 in 2013 that ballooned to 111 takedowns. Shows the kid has the potential to be a wrap star (Get it? Off rap? Holler if you hear me! Anyone? Mommy?)

Disposal-wise, Treloar favors the hand over the foot (15/game vs 12.6/game). Us coaches prefer our mids to be more kick-happy, yet when the disposal average jumps from 24 to 27, that becomes less of a sticking point. And to add some caramel to his 3rd year sundae, The Babyface Assassin also pumped up those valuable clearances from 2.9 to 5.8 and inside 50s from 2.5 to 4.1 a game.

RISK FACTOR

• The concerns for Treloar are pretty straightforward. Due to the physically demanding centre position and still growing body, he can be counted on to miss a game or two with an injury. Back-to-back 20 game seasons is the proof in that puddin’. Also he’s been known to get hurt in the preseason. The hope is that his body will grow stronger and be able to take a full season.
  • Other risk is playing for a (perceived) bottom dweller. GWS has shown improvement but are still a couple years away from reaching the finals. On the brighter side Treloar only went sub 80 twice this season and they weren’t in blowout losses (72 & 74 in a win and a competitive loss).

SELECTION PURPOSE

• There are plenty o’ premium mids to choose from for the same price that carry more experience and SC credibility. Here’s what to mull over when considering The Babyface Assassin.

THE GOOD

• With Callan Ward being the #1 midfielder on GWS, rarely will Treloar get the Crowley treatment. That gets one HUGE Throttlehellyeah! Plus at 21, his game hasn’t nearly hit its potential.
  • With the talented mix of old and young talent on the Giants, Treloar could have the ingredients to bake ton cake for his coaches every round.

THE BAD

• Tends to go big early…when prices are the most bloated. His two highest scores (176 & 154) were in his first and third games. Steady 100s in-between.
  • Again, injuries to ankle and groin took him out two games, so may expect to throw him on the bench at some point.

THROTTLE DECREES

Treloar can now be considered a premium mid. Given his age and team, his price may cause a bit of agita. But his talent is unmistakable. And potential for phat daddy SC scores undeniable. In fact, I feel he could push his average to 110 this season.

Whether you play it safe and bring him after the byes or throw a saddle and ride him the whole 22, I think The Babyface Assassin could well be the POD premium selection of the year.

So community, what say you?

Twitter: @throttlefinger

BECOME A JOCK MEMBER – EXTENDED LENGTH MONTHLY PODCASTS

THE 2015 SUPERCOACH OFF SEASON SERIESAFL Supercoach Legend Jock Reynolds
This article has been penned by an elite Supercoach analyst hand picked from the talent pool of the Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Community. He has stood up within our community as a man of fantasy substance, and has displayed the spirit of togetherness, positivity and community that we value significantly.

Tags:

1. Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Magnificent Throttle. That’s all that needs to be said!

• throttlefinger says:

Thanks Pieman. I may have boxed myself into a corner by having to slot him in. Kid could be special. Sure upcoming reviews is going to make me second guess my call until first lockout.

2. jockreynolds says:

That change in clearance and inside 50 rate is huge – coupled with the rise in tackle count and he looks a good thing. Not sure about that price through gentleman. He hasn't worked his way through the wet blanket tag week in week out yet and that will come. No for me at this stage – overs.. but this write up has made the case for him more arousing/tempting

• throttlefinger says:

The price is definitely a reason not to get him, Jock. T'is hefty. But this team gets better ever year and if Greene, Shiels and Smith can pick their game up, it will make it easier for Treloar and Ward. We shall see.

3. xMASOx says:

Had the kid early on this year until the bye rounds can play and could be the next 120 average player, is on the radar for the Muppets in 2015

• throttlefinger says:

I wouldn't be shocked if he hit 120, Maso. But I think 110-115 may be realistic. And that would be a strong improvement. Certainly if the GWS can go 8 wins this season, the chances go up for him to be one of those elite scorers.

4. Big_BenFC says:

Considered him last year, this is food for thought

• throttlefinger says:

Waiting to read the other player reviews, Big Ben. Very high probability my mind may change. Especially at Treloar's price.

5. General Soreness says:

Great write up Throttle (US Correspondent). I knew he went well but when you lay the stats out like that with 14 tons the kid had a massive year. Personally I reckon the kid will stay in the 100-108 scoring range, his two big scores were against Sydney Round 1 which was a debacle by an undermanned Swans who just expected a result and his 154 was against Melbourne. On the plus side the kid is ultra durable 18 games, 20 games and 20 games and rarely puts in a shocker which is great as a set and forget player. Also plays for GWS so will have a softer draw. I will be watching with interest and will sit on my maybe list for now, I have a teammate ahead of him at a similar price whom has already learnt to deal with a tag. If he maintains a 108 his price is about right, but at 100's he is overs, might be a great upgrade option around the byes.

• throttlefinger says:

Thanks General! Watched the first Swans game and other than Jack and Tippett who else was out? It was a pretty competitive game. Just thought GWS was more aggressive and took the game to the Swans (maybe the Hawks watched that game and saw something. Ha!).

But agree with you on the price and bringing him in after the byes. Can't argue against either. Think he could be in for a great season, especially if Greene and Shiels step up some more and the team can hit 8 wins next season…which I think is possible.

6. Dools says:

Ah my Friend TF,
    Nice article from across the waters and delivered in a nice style. I think AFL has gained a man of letters and coupled with dedication to this great game, I feel you are “Made Man” – Keep delivering the good oil. Missed you guys but I have been in the Hurt Locker since March but I’m back and loving this.
    Once again TF great work and keep the good stuff comin’

• throttlefinger says:

My man Dools! Long time! Miss you buddy. And thanks for the kind words. Glad you're back and in the footy fold. Look forward to discussing 2015 with you. (Lumumba on the Dees…slot him him?)

7. Magnificent Throttle – you have larger plums than I!

Thanks Dex!

Ha! We'll see if the downstairs dynamic duo are feeling big after reading the rest of the articles. Right now, I've talked myself into it.

8. Bean says:

Jock what do you think about Mitch Clark next year? Surely has to be rookie priced or a very cheap midpricer. Has fair scoring history and will slot in nicely beside Tom Hawkins at the cats.

• jockreynolds says:

Bean! Nice to see you in here mate and that is an interesting thought. If it gets done and he's up fwd at the chattery he would have to high in calculations – probably with a view to upgrade him around the byes. What do you reckon mate?

9. THE SALTSHAKER says:

Nice work Throtts! I had him in his first year and was a fave rookie that showed sc score potential ahead. I think the decision for 2015 is based on whether he gets a start in your premium selections. Structure is important, with more mid rookies than other lines having a higher scoring avg, its important to have room in your mids not taking up valuable space as thats your fastest cash generation line. In 2014 limited fwd rookies meant your fwd structure was better off with more prems/guaranteed starters. Because your mids are highest scorers then you want the best you can get from outset (high scores, vc loop options, save a trade getting them in later) ive decided 5 prems is too much, 3 not enough (having tried both) and 4 prems the best balance. So you have to ask is Treloar going to be a top 8 mid by years end? If you think he will avg 120ppg then the decision to get on at that price is a strong motivator and will give you a significant advantage. For me personally I dont rate him to outscore my first 4 proven (elite) mids nor do I see him as top 8 mids by years end, if he is looking that way i will trade him in later.

• THE SALTSHAKER says:

This is just risk minimisation. Until he can show consistency at elite level (Beams 2012, Rockliff & Fyfe 2014) then I cant consider him to be elite, even if he has the potential. Last year was his breakout 3rd year +20ppg and was the year to get on him from the start. I think you are far better going for a Fallen Premium returning from inj that is offering value and even then the decision still needs to be based on whether you think they will finish top 8 or close enough to. Statistically when looking for candidates outside top to finish top of their lines next season then midfield is the least likely. Other lines have more new roles (more midfield time, used as rebounder on way out of defence, key fwd used in ruck, rucking solo) so the likelyhood of improved sc putting them from outside top to top is greater.

• throttlefinger says:

Bam! Fantastic response SS! This is the type of response that makes this community so great.

Excellent points throughout. Given all that you said, I'm getting to the point that it's almost a fools errand to discuss structure until the prices, DPP eligibles and rookie lists come out. I think this year one could've gotten away with 5 prems simply because the R1 rook pickings weren't that great. It was more fallen prems…which can be a trap (e.g. Daisy). Hoping this year a better crop of mids come out that allow cash generation to be less a waiting game. I got rid of Polec and Tyson way too early. Live and learn, right?

I'm leaning for 5 prems to start minimum. Treloar would be my POD M5. As you stated, no way does he deserve elite status and admission to the M1-M4 club. But only 5 players average 120+. I think if he delivers 115+, he'll be worth the coin. And honestly, the M1-M4 may be the most universal, so the M5-M8 are where the risk are taken and require more thought.

Defs and Fwds will be a tricky bunch, as they always are. Just wait and see. Rucks I've learned it's better to cover your bases. Meaning a premium, a fallen premium then one playing reserve (rook or DPP). Coverage is key. Lost a lot with Ryder and Mummy not having coverage.

Damn, you got me all fired up, Salty!

• THE SALTSHAKER says:

Well dont worry i learnt a lesson from Daisy, funny you mention, I actually mentioned that very point but had to delete as text limit. The mistake I made with Daisy was that he wasnt going to be a top 8 player (or close too) but i thought he would return to 100+ avg player, which at that price was good value. I was giving him till bye rounds and if he didnt show anything i would trade him on and still make some money or upgrade to prem. The prob with that is by comparison to a rookie is the rate $$ goes up after a few price rises. With rookies you want around $200k of "mooing" if you can get it. If avg say 80ppg (as based on decent mid rookie as pass rate for that position) the first $150k goes up pretty quickly but the next $50k takes longer. Far better to have run a rookie for faster cash generation than Daisy and upgraded to a prem sooner. If you look at Suckling who was a similiar popular pick the same applies

• THE SALTSHAKER says:

Since you barrack for GWS though it does make sense to have players from your side in your team. It just makes things more enjoyable, even if not sound logic, trying to pick a side without one is bloody tough to do. Your 2 choices in Ward and Treloar are your best bets. If anything I would give the nod to Ward, he is at the right age, experience. I was gutted i didnt get him cheap after his inj as could of grabbed him rnd 7 or 8? he would of worked with my bye structure and went on to avg 130 over the next month (but again was he going to be a top 8 mid? no, so youve got to try remember this in your trades so doesnt cost you another trade) I instead upgraded to SJ and Selwood who had dropped heaps and was eyeing off Swan waiting for return to form/fitness which never came

• throttlefinger says:

Like Ward a lot. As I do Mummy. Just have a feeling about Treloar. Think Ward will gather more attention next year. Then again, he was the main man and did fairly well with all the attention. Not 100% on Treloar from the star. Enjoy his game and think he's got a nice mix of skills and natural footy magic in him. But yeah, Ward is the more logical choice. The numbers and risks favor him for sure.

Think you're spot on about rooks over fallen prems, Salty. Just hope we get a good crop of full season rooks so our memories don't talk us into wishful thinking on a rebound prem.

• Garglesnarf FC says:

Great write up Throttle! and enjoying the discussion with Salty. Fellow GWS member here.

The other big consideration is how much GWS improve on 6 wins. If they win another 4-6 games which is entirely possible then you would expect Treloar and Ward to rise in terms of points earned due to the fact that winning teams get a bigger slice of the SC points pie.

The GWS player however who really interests me in terms of increasing his output is Shiel. His season was interuppted in round 1, missing 5 weeks through injury which meant his first half of the season was of little interest averaging only 78.6 at the end of rnd 11. The way he finished off the year however was superb with 6 scores over the ton, and average of 101.5. Season average of 95.

If he can get another solid pre-season under his belt, I am looking to him to become a breakout player in 2015, and go to a 110 average. He will likely be my M5/6 next year.

• throttlefinger says:

Hey Garglesnarf, my fellow GWS bratha!

Think it's not out of the realm to see our boys hit 8 wins next season. Ambitious, but possible. Think another year together along with them being a confident bunch could spell another notch up the latter.

I like Shiels a lot. He and Greene returned with almost chips on their shoulder. More they can do, easier it will be for Ward and Treloar. Averaging 110 is a bit lofty yet he may be one to slot in if he hits 105+ his first 2 games. Very excited for next season.

• throttlefinger says:

And by the way, the General will be posting his review of Toby Greene tomorrow. Definitely weigh in, Gargle.

10. THE SALTSHAKER says:

5 prem mid structure will of course depend on rookie availibility in your lines. If again it looks like most will be mid and other lines struggle hard to come by then id go 4 or even 3 (if plenty mid rookies + real bad like fwd line options in 2014). Youve got to generate that cash as quickly as possible to upgrade your team as quickly as possible. I thought 2014 had great rookie mids especially early. I held onto Polec Tysonn too long!! I lost about 100k of each as result. I started 2014 with bad structure 3-0-5 defene line, Daisy taking a rookies place and Swan over Pendles as well as a few rookies who never played again i had to correct early and was very aggressive in my trades. I turned a poor start outside 30,000 overall to be 1500th by end of bye rounds. I upgraded my Def as quick as possible which i could do with Polec/Tyson playing so well but then the SC Gods got angry my def prems went avg and Polec/Tyson had form slump which meant i lost about $200k from their peak value.

• THE SALTSHAKER says:

The positive to Treloar or Ward would be Mummy if fit/inj free as it makes a difference having a ruckman who can give first hands on ball. I use 2013 Minson/Griffen/Libber as reference, they all had their best seasons from their understanding at stoppages. As for Rucks I think its pretty conclusive solo rucks is way to go (provided theyre fit) Jacobs is prime example of working harder over pre season (dropped 5kg) to increase aerobic capacity to get to more contests which he struggled with in 2013 the first year of quicker ball up/throw in changes to game. Goldy i think is best example of variation between rucking solo and sharing duties over last 3-4 yrs. The times he shared with HMAC, Majak and Currie all prove this beyond doubt. I was lucky with rucks as Derricks featured during byes, and the moment Cox got injured i had option to trade to S.Martin but was real concern all year Sandi might breakdown get rested but thankfully never eventuated. When a midprice ruck goes down it can screw ya especially early as you have no $$ to upgrade and can only go sideways down which means your choices are limited.

• throttlefinger says:

Solo rucks for sure. Pay the price and make sure someone is on the bench to cover if one goes down. Goldy will be a hot commodity next year. Sure Mummy and Sauce will be as well. Sandi…will we be tempting fate to think he can go a whole season without getting hurt AGAIN? His price will be uber high so most I think will pass.

• throttlefinger says:

Man, I think the SC gods smited many a Def decision last season. Still hurting mine.

Who else was great earners as 2014 rookie mids? Ellis was ok. Aish value was in a slow cooker. Dunstan was good, on the whole. Was not like 2013 rookie mids.

• THE SALTSHAKER says:

Tyson, Polec, Dunstan, Ellis, were good in that they played and scored well early M4-M8. Aish slow burn but he played alot. By time to offload Dunstan you had Crouch till byes after that you could upgrade in 2nd half of year Miles was the standout. With McDonald, KK and Langdon in defence all getting regular games and scoring well you had 7 rookies avg 80-100pts in the early season which is crucial to cash generation. I dunno you might have thought differently. Considering the extra cost for higher draft picks meant you didnt make as much coin but benefitted from theiir good starts but thankfully most downgrade rookies coming in later were cheaper. Would have been nasty in reverse ($115k player gets to $250k but youre next downgrade target was say $180k)

• throttlefinger says:

Yeah, that would've been nastier for sure. Miles was the exception. So costly and came in round 12 when I was certainly not thinking straight. KK was later as well (and missed both boats, as you can hear the hurt in my voice). Crouch and Ellis were bits of a disappointment, in that they never got to that "moo" value and had inconsistent play. Not saying last year's crop was bad. Just saying that given the pricing increases and the lack of quality rooks across the board (forward and ruck was dismal), it made things a bit harder last year.

• THE SALTSHAKER says:

Yeah the new prices for high draft rookies makes things harder, so was really important to get the right keepers from start. I found being aggressive with trades like early corrections, settling for $150k instead of $200k from rookies helped me move up the overalls to get me in good position quickly but the moment i got there i had terrible run with injuries that i was really limited and limped home. Didnt help 4 of my last trades were useless as the got injuredj/missed games. By finals used last trades and unable to stop 2 donuts. Normally have 4 trades for GF.

• THE SALTSHAKER says:

T.Mitchell, S.Mitchell, Watson, Ablett, Cox, Stevie J, Swan, Hibberd, Beams, Fyfe, Barlow all got injuured from my side

• throttlefinger says:

Ugh. That list gives me a migraine just looking at it. Had some of the same along with Ryder, Mummy and Delidio.

Agree with you on principle about the $150K for rooks but Tyson and Miles proved to be the exceptions to that rule. Think any "on the field" rook under $150K has to worth taken a chance on. As you said before, the road to +$200K is much shorter.

I gut traded too much last season. Patience was almost non-existent. This year I need to get a team that compensates for ebbing Def and Fwd performances, while having coverage when someone goes down. Or just need to resist "trading to be trading". Want to go into finals next season with 6 trades. Just as a point to see if I can. Silly, I know.

11. PkMn Trainer Jimmy says:

Great write up TF.
    The GWS boys are an interesting bunch. You'd expect one of them to join the 115+ ave next year, but which one??

As a GWS fan, I would love to get your thoughts on Toby Greene. He had an amazing finish to the season, which tempts me to select him next year, however I'm worried that his good form was influenced by Greene needing to prove himself after the mid year indiscretions. It's an interesting one though because he looked amazing 2 years ago and if he continues, he could attracted more attention than the other mids in Ward or Trealor. I'll be watching the GWS mids closely over the pre seasons

• throttlefinger says:

Thanks PkMn TJ! Of the bunch, I'd say Ward is a lock for 115+. Treloar is a gut yes.

Greene is a tough player who doesn't shrink from action. And averaging 132 in his last 5 games proves that he has HUGE SC potential. Think if he can keep his head straight, he could average 100-105. As Garglesnarf mentioned above, Shiels is another to watch out for. He could be a great value. Be interesting given their limited play where their prices ended up. Those two could be valued picks. For me Greene is a wait and see. His price may start a bit high. Shiels looks like the tastier of the two.

If GWS can up their game and get 6-8 wins this year, we could have some tasty PODs on our hands. (licking lips)

• throttlefinger says:

By the way, General Soreness will be posting his review of Toby Greene TOMORROW! Definitely swing back around to give your thoughts. Would love to hear them.

12. Phat Phuc says:

Well done Mr Finger I think this report is more relevant than reviews of players like Selwood, Watson, Sloane, Priddis etc.
    Heaps of upside to this bloke from an SC perspective as most 'weekend dabblers' wont have him.
    I agree he could easily ave 110 for the season maybe even more.

13. throttlefinger says:

Agree with you about Greene, Jimmy. His output from the last 5 games will probably shoot up his 2015 price. Shiels will have a tastier price.

Of the GWS mids, Ward is definitely the most logical choice. Treloar will be too pricey although he tends to start hot so may be a gut call. See the prices of Shiels and Greene before deciding. I mean, what are the chances they ALL average 105+?