PODCAST: Time for the big dance.

Filed in Supercoach, Supercoach 2014, Weekly Podcast by on August 24, 2014 • views: 5958

Supercoach 2014

Congratulations if you’ve made your Supercoach or AFL Fantasy Grand finals community.

And hats off to all of us for surviving the most torrid week of fantasy carnage in living memory.

It’s with a tinge of sadness that we present this the final regular podcast of the 2014 Fantasy season. We have again had a ball this year and we are tickled pink by the caliber of person that listen in each week, that frequent this internet based website and who give of themselves to help others.

Enjoy the show folks!

NEXT WEEK - we have our monthly donors podcast. If you’re able to show your support and help us to keep doing what we love click the link below, throw a few bucks our way and enjoy the podcast all the way through summer. Many thanks to all of you who have chipped in – very much appreciated!

Chip in and get onboard with the monthly extended length community donors podcast

..and listen into last months pub session with Mick The Mad, Barron and all the lads

1. Wattsieesq says:

Made two GFs. One from finishing first and the other from finishing 8th. Can't wait.

Great stuff Wattsue!!

• WombatsFC says:

Congrats Wattsie I hope it goes well for ya.
      I know you're here even when you don't speak so don't be so shy.
      In future speak your mind; you can't get to the honey without upsetting a few bees.

• Wattsieesq says:

Thanks Jock and Wombat.

I am a bit of a lurker. I've only been doing SC for a couple of years so I've held off with my wisdoms. I think I've done alright this year, so I'm a bit more confident to dispense wisdom. I'm sure I'll contribute or next year.

Congratulations to you to Wombat. Top 1,000 is extremely difficult let alone top 100. You've had a phenomenal year. I'm really happy for one of the communities biggest contributors to the site having such a fantastic year. Well done.

2. WombatsFC says:

Absolutely wrapped 2463 was enough to move into 79th overall, 2nd in the donor group qualifier and 7th in the Jock Reynolds qualifier with less donuts next week than those above me.

Last year I was wrapped to be in the top 5,000 this website and the supporting community has been the difference. Thanks to you all.

• PkMn Trainer Jimmy says:

Good stuff Wombats! Hopefully you can stay in the top 100!

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Well done Wombats. Smashing it up. Top 50 looks likely. That would be huge. Good luck next week.

• good work mate!

Hoping to keep, or better my rank 35 – and 3rd in Qualy.

Thanks a bunch community!

• jockreynolds says:

Sensational work Wombats!! What a season you've had!

I thank YOU for all of the SIGNIFICANT advice that you have provided for all of us this season. Goes to show – you get back fro things how much you put in – and you are a community member that puts in week in week out.

So – congratulations – and THANK YOU!

• WombatsFC says:

Thanks Jock your praise humbles me.
        I may still fall outside the top 100 but I don’t really care; Wombats scored more points than 240,000 others and I’m so chuffed I prepared an acceptance speech.

The Jock Reynolds preseason research tools and the community discussion of potential wookies is definitely the major reason for my success this year.
        Taylorwoof is probably Crimmo’s illegitimate son because he’s an almanac of relevant information and has ‘Rainman’ like data accuracy. I think it is his team SilentAchievers that is about to Roll Wombats in the throttledome. I don’t know for sure because he became very silent when the season started but definitely lived up to his team name.

SCaddict is another who possibly borders on being diagnosed as autistic savant when it comes to Supercoach. He opened my eyes to a number of players that I never would have considered and then during the season I began to believe that he had a direct link to every AFL newsfeed and club medical department and I based many of my trades on information that he ‘scooped’.

ThrottleFinger was also great. Considering he lives as far from Melbourne as a bloke can live he was a source of great information on rookies and returning injured players. In fact his info was so good I tested the veracity of his claims on being a New York resident. Sadly for throttle he didn’t take much of his own advice and his team was severely and embarrassingly pantsed by everybody.

There were obviously a lot of others but I’m 50 years old and I lived hard and fast for most of them so my brain sometimes runs out of ram; I apologise for forgetting you all.

Itchy Nuts Pieman may have been known by an alternative name earlier in the season I can't remember. His abstract knowledge uncontrolled brain have bought me smiles and higher scores, thanks guys.

Bring on Preseason 2015!

• throttlefinger says:

HAHAHA. I indeed was beatdown in my own league. But the people in the community made every round enjoyable and was a calming salve to put on those loses.

Wombats always gave great feedback, never sparing the rod or speaking through a filter. His wisdom was never smooth but always on point.

Thank you for all the insights, my man. Hope you make it through your trip in enough time so we can do this again next season.

• Leon says:

Hey wombat, as someone who has slipped inside the top 5000 can you explain what you did to make the next step. I am inspired now and want to go top 100, damn it!!!

• WombatsFC says:

Hi Leon, I think it's pretty simple mate.
            1). Tune into this website at least once a week after the GF finishes.
            2). Treat the content provided by the Barron, Mr Crimmins and Jock as gold even when it seems obtuse and irrelevant. I assure you that it does make sense.
            3). Join in the discussions and ask for advice.
            4). Pay a lot of attention to what SCaddict, TaylorWoof, Throttlefinger, Itchynuts and other heavy contributors have to say.

That's what I did and it appears to have worked.
            However, I imagine that every man and his dog who wants to do well in SuperCoach will also be following the steps I outlined above. So you might have to watch the preseason competition and form your own opinions on who's Finished, about to break out or is Injury prone etc.

Well done on this season and good luck for next year

Well done, my friend!

• General Soreness says:

Great work Wombat congrats!

3. Michael says:

Need some consoling Jock – worst week in SC ever for me.
    A pitiful score of 1641 has seen me slide down from inside the top 5,000 to outside the top 10,000.
    Shattered.
    The perfect storm of SC in reverse.
    Where to start? Was always going to be a battle after last week's carnage, but that wasn't enough for the SC gods.
    Friday night – Simpson spuds it up big time, Murph gets concussed (had VC on him) – total of 51pts on the night.
    More spudding to follow from Bartel, Hanley, Jelwood.
    Had no choice but to play both Ambrose & Cameron – not expecting the world but hoping they at least get close to their projected – instead delivered just 78pts between them.
    Dusty out leaves me with another donut on top of the 2 I already have in the mids.
    Pav then creates another making it 4 in total.
    Oh well, Cotch will bring it home for me as C – of course he completely spuds up for 65.
    Not sure I quite deserved this finish, was going really well until these last 2 weeks.
    Now just like the Demons just waiting for this season to end…. tis a sad sad day…

• peter says:

Very sad & feel for you, but remember, SuperCoach is only a game.
      With the number of injuries particularly this year, Supercoach should consider increasing the number of trades to (Say) 34. Also, hopefully the powers to be at the AFL should eradicate the silly 'sub' rule and consider extending the bench from 4 to 6.
      The players are bigger, stronger and faster which adds more momentum when players clash. No wonder there is an increase in the number of injuries. Perhaps also consider the shortening the length of each quarter.
      I do not profess to know everything about AFL fitness, however I do speak with some authority after having 20 years as fitness advisor (last century) at four VFL/AFL clubs.

• SCaddict says:

It's been an unbelievable few weeks. No amount of planning or strategy could've prepared coaches for this level of fantasy desolation.

It's left a very bitter after taste for many who were left to look on helplessly at their ever increasing pile of donuts and vests.

Will be interesting to see whether it has any impact on Supercoach participation next season. Hopefully most coaches will accept this was a once in a generation finish to a season and will get themselves together for a crack at Supercoach 2015.

• Peter says:

Supercoach numbers are decreasing. Apart from injuries and limited trades, the rolling lockout has turned many off particularly older Supercoaches that have family. I play SC and dreamteam. The latter doesnt have the rolling lockout. With DT you can set your team and not have to be concerned about checking team changes. You can get on with the other weekend activities. I respect the view of those who wish to be 'glued' to Supercoach.

• WombatsFC says:

Hi Peter, I respect your opinion and as a 50-year old with kids I have genuine empathy. But the last thing I'd want to see is a Fantasy Football environment where all of the games are the same.
          Supercoach takes a little more dedication to the task than the others and participants are rewarded for their extra effort.
          Personally I'm a fan of the rolling lockout I thinks it's a logical and fair thing to do when there is so much time between the first and last game of a round.

• jockreynolds says:

It was truly one out of the box! SCaddict – sincere thanks on behalf of our community for all of your input this season mate. It really is appreciated by everyone mate

Hi Michael,
      I'm sorry to hear about how the end of the season panned out for you. I wouldnt get too upset though mate – I can tell you 100% ridgey didge true blue fair dinkum – ALL fantasy footballers have periods like the one you are going through.. and the most important thing is how you respond.
      I want you to very carefully unpack what went wrong. What part did you have to play in it with your decisions? What part was just plain ond crap luck? And go from there.
      Thinking of you mate – but keep that chin right up and start planning for a MONSTER 2015!
      Jock

• Michael says:

Thanks Jock, you are truly the godfather of Supercoach! Something to learn for next year is to hold trades for as long as possible! I have a habit of trying to get playing rookies early and perhaps not looking long term across the whole season – a few wasted trades throughout the year.

Trade history 2014:
        R10: Robertson, JKH, Cameron OUT, Jelwood, Cameron, Bews IN
        R11: Langdon, Polec OUT, Simpson, Shenton IN
        R12: Lloyd, Hallahan OUT, Parker, O'Brien IN
        R16: Acres, Shoenmakers OUT, Honeychurch, Jones IN
        R17: GAJ, Hibberd OUT, Hanley, Cotchin IN
        R18: Taylor, Shenton OUT, Harvey, SMitch IN

Obviously traded too much too early, could've kept some of the rookies for longer, maybe kept Daisy a bit longer too. My thinking was to grab as much cash early as possible, but was probably trigger happy lol! Injuries also played a part – Caddy, GAJ, SMitch, plus the glut over the past couple of weeks & suspensions. Makes for some interesting analysis that's for sure! Once the dust settles I'm going to see what I made from each rookie and match that to what they eventually made, also what I lost $$$ wise in premos.

Thanks to all the community for the support – it's a great way to spend 23 weeks of the year! Good luck everyone this week, looking forward to some great war stories!

4. Wazzup says:

G'day community,
    1 trade left. Scott d Thompson to Sam Mitchell, or Cotchin to Parker or wingard to stokes/hannebery? Thanks!

5. Starky says:

Took a chance and went Beams to Jones this week and it got me 4 wins. Thanks for all your hard work and help this year guys, I'm gutted it's nearly over.

6. dannyyboyy says:

2402 for me with one donut wasnt a bad week at all (despite going down to wombats in the throttledome). i made it into 4 outta 5 grannys (including one against the addict, and another in a league ranked 30 overall) and moved into 841st position, being the first time ive cracked the top 1k means im pretty stoked with my year so far. i finished about 3800 last year so to improve after a sluggish start makes me pretty happy.

A bloody massive thank you to jock and crew your all bloody legends and i couldnt have gotten this high without you guys.

And a shoutout to all the community to, the sharing of tips and info means we all got each others backs which is just tops and what its all about!

Good luck to all for next week!!!!

• jockreynolds says:

Thank you Danny – congratulations on your entry into the top 1000! You are very welcome as well my friend

• WombatsFC says:

Excellent season DannyyBoyy I look forward to battling you again.
      I'd wish you good luck in the other 4 but that would actually mean bad luck for me so, I hope your badluck continues:-)

• dannyyboyy says:

it was 2-0 to you between us this year so if i can jag a spot in the dome again im lookin forward to a chance to peg one back on ya

• throttlefinger says:

Was great playing with you in the Tdome, Dannyboy. Well done this season, my man.

• dannyyboyy says:

no probs throttle, the dome was probably one of the best leagues ive been involved in and id love to be back next year mate!

• throttlefinger says:

For sure, DB! Left my email on the "Psyche Out" board. Shoot me an email and I'll make sure you get an invite for next season.

7. PkMn Trainer Jimmy says:

Can't believe the SC season is drawing to a close. My season aim was to finish top 1000 and win at least 1 Grand Final. Currently in the top 800 and in 5 Grandfinals so hopefully can achieve the goals.
    Big thanks to JR community for improving my SC game. Been following you guys for the last 2-3 years and I think the community keeps getting better. Think the additions of Baron and the Donor's podcasts have been fantastic but I would've loved to have TAT more frequently.

Hopefully I can snag a spot in the JR Div 3 league, currently sitting 7th in the Donor's group. Hoping the Bias to trade in Priddis over Rockliff doesn't bite me, already cost me 93 points !

Last round community, leave nothing in the tank!

• jockreynolds says:

Well done on a great season Jimmy – sounds as if you've exceeded your goals and you are becoming a more robust and significant fantasy footballer. Will watch your progress next week – fingers crossed we see you in the big leagues next season. Yep – we're rapt with the new additions this year and we have some more majesty in the pipelines for 2015.. including something special involving the great Irishman. Stay tuned!

8. Mozz says:

I'm sitting 14th in the Donor's league. I'm wrapped for starters just for going so well! But then i'm also really sad that i'm going to miss out on entering the Jock Reynolds divisions by only a few hundred points. It seems as if it's one of those things that is so close, but yet so far. Either way, i'd just like to say that I love everyone here in the community and I wish everyone the best of luck if you're in a grand final or going for the 50k.

I'm representing the community proudly by making it through to a grand final in all my leagues, and jumped into the top 1,500 this week. All of which would not have been able to do without the help of Jock, Higgo, Crouching, all the guys that write articles and everyone that comments/calls in. I listen and read everything that comes through this site and learn from everything that everyone has to say. Honestly, half of the fun of Supercoach is being part of this community, and i'm sure that many people out there would agree.

Thank you community, and good luck in the final week of Supercoach 2014.

• @HJ_Mitch says:

Well said, Mozz!

• Gab says:

good on ya mozz, completely agree with ya, the community make super coach what it is today, and its great we are all such a tight knit group !!
      best of luck in your grand finals for those who made them!!

Hi Mozz,
      This comment has made my day in all seriousness mate. To hear that community followers are getting as much out of our community as they are out of the game itself gives me a reason to get out of bed of a morning to be quite honest. The reason this warms my heart so significantly is that this is EXACTLY what we want this place to be. A close knit community – a positive community – a safe haven in a world where the internets can be a negative and dangerous place.
      I thank you in all sincerity – keep learning and growing in your fantasy journey – and look forward to your input in the years to come.
      Jock

Well done Mozz.
      Get in on the preseason discussion around november and you'll make up more than enough points to qualify.

9. David says:

Let's face it fellas this will be known as the year of the Dohnut!
    But Dohnut give up, come back next year my friends. It may yeald sprinkles and jam

10. Dustbin Feltchers says:

Big thanks to one Captain Thomas J Rockliff…saved me against an opponent who has the vc loophole on Sam Gray…Gary like effort!!

• Peter says:

Yes. That is exactly what happened to me. I thought I wad a goner.
      I suppose/hope Rocky can do it again this week?
      Rocky as VC and Sloane (Saints) as C just in case.

11. Mike says:

Jock, Peter, Crouching, Thanks so much for the year, great advice, great laughs. Keep it up. Will open the wallet next year.

12. Jambo says:

I made my Grand Final with 2,294. Gratefully appreciate all your help and advice. Jock, Higgo, and Crouching One, you all rock!

13. Cozza says:

Thanks Jock and the community for all the help this year. Of my 5 leagues, finished top in 3, then a 4th and 6th after the round matched. Was going great until the carnage of last weekend and have now bombed out of the 3 prelims I was in. 5 donuts on field will do that to you – had to play JPK, Ward, Minson, Martin and Pav on field – with Harvey, Barlow and Beams also on bench/traded out. Even though I only had one trade left, having 2 would not have helped! Add to that the fact that I had Kersten and Shenton on field – pretty impressed I made it to 1840!

Lessons learnt for next year:
    1 – try to have better bench cover; and
    2 – try to have a few more trades for finals – had 3, but 4 would have been much better.

First year of playing seriously and still ranked just over 3,000 at the moment, after dropping around 1,500 ranks with this weeks debacle. Will return stronger and better next year, but thanks to the community for getting me this far!

• jockreynolds says:

Cozz top 3000 is a FANTASTIC first up performance and you're to be congratulated mate. Part of me is worried that too many may "overcorrect" next season and be a little bit too hesitant to trade – remember – this was the worst carnage we have seen. Well done again mate!

14. Haiku Bob says:

3 Leagues, 3 Grand Finals!

15. Flazzwa says:

Thanks Jock, Crouching One and Peter for the enjoyment you’ve provided me over the course of the year..Millsy

16. MangroveJack says:

Well, thats it for 2015, so close, but missed G/F after losing by 45, after Murph gets concussed, 2 Donuts, Kersten on Bench gets 9, and why, o why did I put the C on Pridis …

2227 points was still enough to move up in the ranking, and hope to have one more good run next week to try and get into top 2000.

Good luck to everyone playing in G/F's

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Great Season Mangrove. Just plain unlucky. After all the strategy & planning the last 2 weeks became survival vs reward for effort. We will all be bette for it moving forward. Enjoy your off season mate.

• jockreynolds says:

Love how you're able to look at the bright side of the situation Mangrove in the face of a PF loss. Best of luck next week poking the old nose up into the top 2000 mate ;)

17. Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Saved my very best for last. VC on Pendles, C on Fyfe leaveing my opponent to think i would take Pendles score. 2 minutes before the game I traded Fyfe to Rocky (C) with my last trade as I was 200 points & 1 less player down.340 thank you. Got over the line by 20 points against the same opponent in both cash leagues. Fair to say he was left gobsmacked & a little upset. You beauty!

• Peter says:

Well done. Great strategy and well thought out.

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Thanks Peter. Just wanted some hope. Absolutely stunned it delivered 3 wins.Won another league by 6 points. Demolished in the other 2.

• MangroveJack says:

Nuts the size of Mangoes, you be carrying around… Inspirational stuff that..

Well played Sir, and good luck for next week.

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Thanks Mangrove. Spoke to the poor victim this morning. He didn't realise what I'd done till half time. Flawed him. Rocky was on 100 already. He said he'd already declared victory Saturday night.

• jockreynolds says:

You little Anzac Pieman!! Complete and utter confirmation that you have spuds the size of watermelons – and a fantasy mind to match it. Congratulations old mate

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Thanks Jock. I was listening that day at Fantasy Cadets when you delivered the importance of a good old fashion hood wink. He checked me team a 1pm, we both had VC Pendles & C on Fyfe. The thought I was toast & kept his last trade & 100k in the bank. If I'd made the trade 10 minutes earlier he would have matched it! I'll be shouting you many beers next catch up.

• WombatsFC says:

I've always said never trust a Pieman around finals time.
      Well done itchy I did a similar thing and annoyed DannyyBoyy a tad when I traded fyfe to buddy at the last minute after professing to have no trades left. If murph hadn't been Ko'd I would probably have made the same trade next week

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

it's safe to say anyone playng us in finals in the years to come Wombats will be sh%tting themselves over the sneaky tactics we deploy. Well played Wombats, Dannyboyy must be guttered, getting knocked over with 2400 is harsh, but that's the name of the game. I wet into the finals with 4 trades & solid benchcover. And that hasn't proven to be enough. Lesson learnt.

• WombatsFC says:

Yeah I reckon I might go around again despite cracking the half-century this year. I might have to get some screwins for my slippers though.

I don't think DannyyBoyy had the trades to match me anyway, Your move was very astute and worthy of being recorded as an example of the dedication required to win a Supercoachleague.
          Instead of watching the game on telly with a beer or showing the wife why she lets you inside the house. You chose to sit hunched over the computer waiting to make that last minute trade to get your glory.

I don't care about league wins and was going for points only so whilst you were hunched over the computer I was drinking your beer and showing your wife why she likes older men.

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Cracker Wombats. I wondered why she was limping last night. There was a sizeable entrance fee in one of the leagues & to the victor goes the spoils. So it was pretty serious stuff.

• WombatsFC says:

In all seriousness well done mate I'm genuinely happy that you pocketed some cash.
              I'm not a gambler but I assure you that I get as much enjoyment and angst as those who do part with their hard earned on a game dominated by chance. I don't need the added stress.

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Seriously valid point Wombats. There is 2 prizes. Half to GF winner & the other half to Highest overall rank. The guy I played yesterday & I are the only ones in contention for the rank prize. During our conversation this morning he asked if despite he leads me by 80 points if we could agree to split it now. He said he was so rattled by what happened he didnt want to go through it again.I stopped & thought in all my excitement he was left completely shattered. So I agreed.

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

I will also confess Wombats that I had guests & their kids Saturday night. It was a late night & I wasn't following SC. It wasn't until Sunday morning that I realised I was in trouble. I became so consumed with trying to work out a way to get back into the match I ignored my kids all Sunday morning whilist I assesed my options. I only have them every 2nd weekend. If there wasn't money on the line I wouldn't have done that. And I do regret it. I've pulled the pin on all other forms of gambling. SC cash leagues are next on the scrap heap.

18. Andrew says:

Hey Jock,

Made it through with Beams, Harvey, Fyfe, Martin and Nicnat. Also had Murphy’s 27 and the amazing Cameron. Thank the Supercoach gods for Robbie and Tommy. Have had no trades since Round 19. Luck should run out next week but at least I made it.

19. WombatsFC says:

My condolences to those for whom the Supercoach season is over.
    To all those sooks blaming injuries and suspensions for their demise, please assess what you are saying.

What you are saying is that you would have done better if you had selected different players. It's a simple fact that risk management is an integral part of supercoach success.
    JPK was a risk after last years injury concerns, Boomer was a risk due to age, roller coaster form and bad sportsmanship, Beams was a risk due to injury history, Fyfe was a risk due to injury and tribunal history, etc, etc
    Those who took the least risks reaped the rewards in the final rounds especially if they were chasing league wins.

Very well said Wombats.

• David says:

In a nut shell every year has its risks that get you to greatness or bombing out. This year it was simply the timing of the massive outs, late in the supercoach season. Many people including myself have died by the sword and i stay with my decisions this year and can only reflect and learn by my decisions. 3rd year for me so i know now the recipe for success is the majority of luck with a little conviction. Super year again Jock, Higgo and Crouching, to the community thank you for another great year of support and insight special thanks to Throttle, Wombats and SCaddict.

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Agree with ya Wombats. Back when we had limited trades & you get a player out for 2 you would have to keep them to get to full premo, & cop an emergencys score or a donut. With 30 trades you can trade the bloke & bring him back. I did that with Hanley this year. You can't be out of trades heading into finals or you will get demolished. Hopefully this will teach everyone why it's such an advantage to have them in finals.

• WombatsFC says:

For a bloke who spends most of his time with his hands in his undies, your are remarkably wise itchy one.

I don't mind the 30 trades system but I'd like to see the trades p/round limit increased for the first 9 rounds

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Ive got a quality primary school education Wombats. And I don't mind going to town on myself. I like that suggestion. It means spuds can run out faster!

20. The Filth says:

Despite making a botch of the last 6 weeks, I am currently 21st overall and number 1 in the Jock Reynolds community group.

Thanks to the community for their input, sage advice and humour this season. I for one have benefitted greatly from this forum. I have managed to make the Grand Final in all my leagues.

Like many sides my team currently looks like it should be sponsored by "Donut King" but I am hoping for one more supreme effort from the boys to get me across the line.

Good luck to all in their respective Grand Finals and commiserations to those who have fallen by the wayside. Hopefully your overall rank has improved this season and that you go into "pre-season" for SuperCoach
    next year with determination and confidence to improve next year.

Regards & thanks

Wayne
    "The Filth"

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Great season Filthy. Well done.

• WombatsFC says:

I see ya there atop the qualifiers list Filthy and I'm coming for ya!
      I reckon I should knock RandomBreathTeast from #1 in the Jock Reynolds Donours Group and with the potential resting of Simmo and Mitchell to go with your other outs I might make up the 500 I need to nudge you off the top of the Jock Reynolds Qualifiers.

It aint over yet !

• The Filth says:

As I said Wombat, I wasted a trade recently. I am not confident of staying on top of the JRQ's at seasons end.

Good luck matey!

• jockreynolds says:

Sensational season Filthy!! And it looks as if it might be on like Donkey Kong for the victory in the Qualifiers. Great to hear from you mate

• The Filth says:

Thanks Jock.
        Although I feel like I have "done a Bradbury" as I only headed the QualifiersGroup for the first time this week…

• General Soreness says:

Congrats Filthy!

21. wes says:

Community,

Lots of congrats and commiserations going around… and I second or third or fourth all those. Has been a hard year.

I still would appreciate some advice… I have no idea how really but made the GF… a little bit of extra cover on the bench, and a late out of Dusty cost my opponent. But I am in there and looking for a final push now.
    Waiting on the teams to be named later on… so not publishing anything now.

If you are out though, please don't avoid the site… some of us still appreciate the advice and could be the difference between taking home the silverware or not!!!

cheers

Wes

I'm listening wes.

• The Filth says:

Keep us posted on your thoughts for your team this week Wes. Will try and help with your final selections, although I think Wombats and Itchy Nuts will serve you well.

22. The Garbo says:

After a great season I fell short so close to league glory…. it is crushing.
    Two weeks of carnage is all my team was able to take.
    But I think the most upsetting part was that the team that managed to behead me, had only scraped into the top 8 by percentage.
    He then went onto a CLOSE but epic victory in round 1. Round two he went onto playing the second highest scoring team in our league. Victory for him was sure to be a pipe dream heading into battle. But the wrath of the super coach gods struck his opponent down with no mercy.
    Whereas he managed to avoid the wrath by entering finals with quite a “unique” side.
    He then moved onto me. I was also wounded by the SC Gods, but even with all the preperation leading up to this, all my swings, bench cover and remaining trades were still not enough to field a full side leaving me with a couple donuts and a heartbreak loss.
    Lady luck really is a fickle mistress.

My oppnt had reached into his pants, pulled out his bag of jewels, put them on the table, stared the sc gods in the eyes and dared them too lop them off!
    And it seems this act of courage has earnt him the favor of the sc gods.

I may have been slayed,
    but mark my words,
    The Garbo will rise again to take out the trash!

23. julz says:

Have loved the website this year and I also listen in to everything regularly and read all the great articles. Love the input of the community all seem a great bunch of people! Looking forward to Donor's podcast next week too and hopefully getting into some JR leagues next year.
    Into 3/5 grandies so not too bad, one GF is against the hubby so NEED TO WIN!! Otherwise will never hear the end of it, he has more donuts than me at this stage (touch wood) but beat me on points this week so need a big effort from my team in the GF. Luckily I have one trade stashed up my sleeve, now just to figure out how to use it no doubt there will be multiple outs so I am glad I have kept a trade – first time for everything!! :)

24. The Filth says:

Julz,

Post your side – and if possible post your husbands team as well.

CMON COMMUNITY – LETS SEE IF WE CAN GET JULZ A WIN OVER HUBBY!!!

• julz says:

Thanks guys you are fantastic :) Here is the teams below:

Def – We both have Simpson, McVeigh, Swallow. I have Hanley, Bartel, Mitchell (bews/Langdon on bench). He has Burgoyne, Jaensch and Scott D Thompson loopholes with Langdon (Cutler on bench)

Mid – We both have Pendles, Priddis, Selwood, Sloane, Libba. I have Smurph (might have to trade), JPK, Miles. He has N Jones and Crisp with a donut (NO SWING SET).

Rucks, both have Sandi – I have SMartin, he has Mummy

Fwd – Both have Dusty, Buddy, Parker, Dangerfield. I have R Gray and Zorko (Cameron and Lennon on bench). He has Petrie/ N Riewoldt/ Taylor Walker (leaves one off the field)

At this stage I am thinking I will have to trade out SMurph as prob won't play, not sure if to get Mundy/Treloar or another midfielder or just get Malsexi in the defence via swingset. Have bugger all cash in kitty only about $9K
      Cheers for your help again everyone :)

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Firstly Julz over dinner tonight tell him I think your teams shi&s on his. If smurph is out that’s the trade for sure. I think you need to can the malcho idea & go with a mid. I love malcho I’ve had him year. I’ll get back to you with some options.

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Options are Goddard Treloar (risky) Mundy Griffen (playing GWS). I would suggest Goddard he was awesome last week 164 & he's playing Carlton this week who were train wreck. If you really want to deploy tactics put your VC & C on Sunday players & deploy them just before the game starts.

• The Filth says:

Like you, will wait for teams to be posted before deciding.
        Looks promising though. Check for advice later this week.
        Itchy Nuts has already made some nice suggestions.

• Wattsieesq says:

Hey Julz,

I think you have him covered all over the park with your POD match ups. Out of your choices, I think bringing in either Mundy, Malceski or a left fielder like Brad Crouch. Treloar was inconsistent at the start of the year but has been good of late. Mundy doesn't have Fyfe or Barlow so should get the pill. He may also get Cornes. That said he has avg 117 in his last 3. Malceski has avg 108 in his last 3 and has the Tigers. Crouch has the saints in Adelaide and has avg 105 in his last 3.

Given I believe your PODs have the edge, I'd go conservative and bring in Mundy.

All the best.

• The Filth says:

Julz,
      I would choose Mundy or Goddard.
      Your team appears to have superior PODs to hubby so I think you will prevail.
      Keep my fingers crossed for ya!

Regards
      'Filthy'

25. cyrl says:

made two grand finals out of four leagues would have been three but captain Priddus 70 let me down. Couldn't use the vice loophole due to fishing commitments…..

26. Mitch says:

First year I’ve taken supercoach seriously and sitting in top 5,000

It’s been and up and down year

Made 4 grand finals, missed out on a 5th by under 100 points

Simpson, bartel, Murphy screwed me plus having to play Rohan instead of Martin

Plus no Cover for Kennedy in the mids

Hopefully he is back this week

Thanks jock you’ve been huge help

• The Filth says:

Nice one Mitch.
      Top 5000 is a great ranking.

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

First year I took SC serious I finished in 30K odd. So 5K is a fantastic effort. Best of luck in your GF's.

• jockreynolds says:

Welcome mate – surprises me how many are stepping right up to the plate with a top 5000ish rank – that is significant Mitch and you should be proud.hate being an old stick in the mud – but beware the second season slump mate. Just keep it simple next season and try not to outsmart yourself.

27. Crowmagnon says:

Into 3 grand finals from 3 leagues. Undefeated in the one that matters. Huge thanks Jock, Higgo, Crouching and everybody in the community, I wouldn't be in this position without the wisdoms gained here. Into the top 5000 for the first time ever. Looking forward to the donor podcasts to see me through til next season. Good luck to everybody playing Grand Finals this week!

28. Nick says:

Last week in to 3 grand finals out of 4 thanks to everyone on this page wouldn’t of got this far if it wasn’t for you all thankyou

29. Jackson says:

Massive improvement for me this year! Made it through to both my grand finals, and finished on an overall rank of 352…A huge thanks to you Jock, and everyone in the community who helped me out through the year. The best of luck to everyone in the grand final this week!

30. throttlefinger says:

While the season has been, overall, a disappointment from a results standpoint, I learned one important point with most of my mistakes came from not heading its wisdom…always consult the community first.

Made waaaay too many rash and idiotic decisions. Relying on your brain is great when you have a pocketful of loot and there's shelves full of choice agave, but it doesn't make for sound SC decisions. The community saved me from making a lot more craptacular calls. And while there is some luck in SC, patience and due diligence in your planning and trades allow more sunny days than donut downpours.

Overall did better than my inaugural season. Best of all challenged some of the true badasses in the community and got served. But rather go down fighting giants than stomping ants. Thanks to all for the wisdom, laughs and camaraderie. It makes waking up early and staying up late to talk with all you worthwhile.

• WombatsFC says:

"rather go down fighting giants than stomping ants"

I love ya man.

• SCaddict says:

I always look forward to reading your comments Throttle. Your dedication to this foreign game and devotion to this site, from the other end of the earth, is something we all here truly marvel at.

You may downplay it but you really had shocking misfortune this season as did even the great Peter Higginbotham but have no doubt you like he will be a force to be reckoned with in 2015.

• throttlefinger says:

Well, that just puts a big grin on my fat face, SCaddict. Very nice of you to say, especially from someone I respect greatly — and who kicked my SC ass from Perth to Brisbane (does anyone use that? From LA to NYC is our version)

Hope to do better next year but more importantly add more to the community. As you and others prove, the more time here, the better you do in SC.

• The Filth says:

Throttle – you have been one of many fine contributors to this forum and I have enjoyed your posts.
      Thanks for your amusing and sometimes profound insights.
      Hope to read your prognostications next season.
      (Cut back on the agave in the offseason)

Cheers matey!

• throttlefinger says:

Filth, you are a gentleman and a genuine SC badass. Very happy that you're in the top 25 and ruling the community group. All season, you've taken everything the SC gods have thrown at you and smile widely as you gave it back threefold.

Look forward to talking shop next season. Would love to get in a league together (maybe even entice you to come into the Throttledome, perhaps).

Next season I think I need MORE agave…my aching head would make me rely on the community even more!

Best to you, Mr. Filth!

• The Filth says:

Throttle – I would be honored to join the vast expanses and plush interior of the Throttledome next season. If you build a league, they will come…

I must admit to some trepidation re next season – this years achievements may be a one-off and I may end up performing like Daisy Thomas.

• throttlefinger says:

Ha. No way, Filth. You're built of stronger stuff than the SC-feeble Daisy, Filth. Look forward to locking horns next season, my man.

31. WombatsFC says:

I would like to point out that the Mighty Wombats Jumper says "Next 22 Weeks". This proves that I never aspired for a league premiership and I believe that the final week should be like the last day of the Tour de France where we acknowledge the current leader and root french chicks.

• throttlefinger says:

Hahaha. Or Italy senoritas. They are less interested in biking and more into rooting.

• WombatsFC says:

I know they're hard to resist but some of those Italian honey's have heavily armed and widely connected nutcase fathers.

I advise the community to stick to the frenchies in this situation, throttles suggestion is based upon his experience with 'brooklyn wannabe gangster' Italians, not the gun wielding over possessive father Italians that park their mercedes 500 sl just off Lygon st or have daughters in Westchester county.

• throttlefinger says:

Throttles has a UN annex down south so he is speaking Internationally, not locally. Would say most NYC beauts carry more baggage than the 2 carry-ons allowed.

French is fine. But the lack of adherence to hygiene could make some ventures less than favorable. Wombats is used to red district delights so properly bathing and curdling scents are not a factor in his decision making. In fact, he prefers a woman who has sat on a leather bike seat for 10 hours or more.

LOL
            I love ya dude but you Bridge and Tunnel folk can be cryptic.

What throttle means is that I prefer a woman experienced enough to show me something new, confident enough to not be influenced by $million marketing campaigns, and invested enough to make a 10-hour Harley ride to the Wombats hideout.

The animosity towards Wombats that throttle displays is probably due to the fact that his first wife rode the Harley.

• throttlefinger says:

Haha. No, my first wife didn't ride, she crushed. As in my balls. Felt like a Harley took a 10-hour ride on my meat and cheeses.

And please community, this new, expansive land Womby talks of traversing is as broad as a bodega's middle aisle and filled with much wonder as the bottom of a drained pint of Cooper's ale.

Interestingly, have read that a side effect of getting in the top 80 is an uninterrupted dream state, with visions of heightened desirability from the fairer sex mixed with extended ramblings to Americans (or whomever is up at your ungodly hour.

Also some experience low outbreaks of foot acne.

32. The Ranger says:

Like many I've had a shocking end to the season and despite finishing 1st and 3rd in my leagues have failed to even make a GF.
    Gutted.
    Still, I'll look back on this season as one of growth and some success.
    Thanks to the Community I've gone from finishing around 120,00 (in my first year) last year to 14,000 this year and spent much of the year in the top 5000.
    With another pre season under my belt and with the continuing support of all those at JR HQ I know I'll be back better and stronger in 2015!
    Best of luck to all those in a GF this week and those going for gold in the big one.

• WombatsFC says:

Commiserations ranger but it's not over yet mate. Many in a similar position to you will give up and forget that competition is all about fighting to the end and bettering yourself.
      You have the option of getting your best possible score this week and climbing the overall rankings or putting your nuts in your mums handbag and waiting until next year to try and get better.
      The fact that you came to the Jock Reynolds site indicates that you don't like the handbag option so dust yourself off and get back out there son!

33. Mozz says:

My advice for the community this weekend: Don't trade before the weekend starts

I remember last year I was in a Grand Final, before there was a late out during the week! I was left with a doughnut and lost the Grand Final and left battered. This year I have promised myself not to make the same mistake. Round 23 there are going to be some late outs FOR SURE as some teams will want to rest players ahead of finals. I'm looking at Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge, Joel Selwood, Corey Enright and possibly some Sydney players despite john longmire's comments.

If anyone is expected to win their grand final and has trades left, leave 1 for late outs. Round 23 is NOT the round to have a 0 on the field.

34. Huggy says:

To Jock and all the other regular contributors in the community.

Thanks for all the advice and fantastic entertainment throughout the year. I've spent many a Sunday night, lying in bed, listening to the podcasts whilst trying not to crack up and wake the missus. She has now resorted to wearing ear plugs as the tales of Wayno and his delorium, Crouching Tiger and his "slipper", Higgo and his beloved mother and you Jock, reminiscing of your sexual exploits – have made it near impossible.

I am currently sitting 96th overall and 9th in the Qualifying league. With one round to go I'm still pushing hard to make the top 6 in order to get into the esteemed Jock Reynolds Division 3 next year. Unfortunately, Wombat FC leap frogged me last weekend – which makes it even harder!

As with most, I'm not too sure what I will do after the grand finals this weekend as I'm already suffering super coach withdrawal symptoms. Will definitely be hanging out for the donor podcasts in the off season.

Stay safe everyone and catch you all again next year

Huggy

• WombatsFC says:

Hi Huggy and well done mate. Making the top 5,000 in a competition of almost 250,000 is a fantastic achievement. To make the top 100 is almost as good as coming second.

Like you I made silly mistakes that cost me a better ranking and i know that the experience and wisdom from Jock and the community will make me better next year.

Best of luck in getting the points you need ( only if you don't bump me)

• Huggy says:

Thanks Wombat. I only discovered the community this year and have really enjoyed it.
        Good luck this week mate – hopefully we can both fight it out in division 3 next year!

Well done, Huggy!

Will be pushing for you to jump Womby…given his glut of responses in the last 24 hours, he needs a little air taking out of his SC sail.

• jockreynolds says:

Fantastic to hear from you Huggy! Looking forward to a gigantic 2015 from you mate and congratulations on a fine season. I'll tell you what – in all honesty it gives us a massive kick to hear stories such as the one you just told lying in bed and the Mrs with the earplugs haaaa that makes my day

35. The Filth says:

Good luck Huggy.

36. Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Horrible news on Matty Scharenberg. He was my first lock for 2015.

37. RooBoy says:

Hi guys,

A big thanks to all contributors on this site who (unknowingly) helped me in this my first year of SC just by reading your comments, also congrats to all who made GF this week.

I finished 1st in my money league and 3rd in another and got knocked out in both pre-finals this week but learnt some valuable lessons about conserving trades and sideways trading.
    (An interesting exercise to go back through your trade history and see where you stuffed up!)

Thanks very much Boomer and SJ (you're both on my never again list) as well as Dusty, JPK and Beams for the donuts. Currently ranked 1400ish which I'm happy with for a 1st year.

Probably getting waaaay ahead of myself but what's all this about Qualifying and Division leagues and how does one go about registering an interest in participating sometime down the track?

Loved Throttles comment of "rather fight giants than stomp ants"…..only way to learn!

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

1400 in your first season. Awesome effort Rooboy! I think SJ & Boomer may be on many banned lists. They were on mine this year. Key forwards are on my never again list.

• Mozz says:

Well done RooBoy for doing so well in your first year! You must be very proud of yourself :)

Basically the divisions we speak of are leagues that Jock has set up which consists of the best members of the community. It's exactly like the English Premier league where you have the top league, then the bottom 3 or how ever many get relegated to the next league down. There are 4 leagues if i'm correct and the way to get yourself into the bottom league is to firstly join the 'Jock Reynolds Qualifiers Group' or the 'Jock Reynolds Donor's Group' next year. The top 6 from each group at the end of the year will be in the 3rd division league the following year.

Jock will post the league code for the qualifiers early next year, so be ready for that and good luck next year! I'm sure we'll be hearing a lot more from you :)

• throttlefinger says:

Well done, RooBoy! Gangbusters in the first year, my man.

And agree, evaluating your year will definitely help you next season. I made mistakes this season but not the same ones as last (or as many times).

38. wes says:

Last trades…

With late outs and covering my butt off, I've managed to sneak into the GF (afl fantasy).
    Also means, with all the coverage, my team is not brilliant… thus I need help.
    I have 2 trades left (afl fantasy standard), and 80K in the bank. I can afford 1 upgrade and one 'fixer'
    please let me know your thoughts… pts system not quite the same, but I've been on here all year and what is good on SC is pretty much good on fantasy. So fire away please

DEF – Bartel, McVeigh, Swallow, S Mitchell, K Simpson, NDS (Georgiou + Clay Cameron)
    MID – Rocky, JPK, Barlow, S Gibson, Cornes, R Gray, J Crisp, D Tyson (Shenton + J Lloyd)
    RUC – Mummy + Sandi (B Brown + Lowden)
    FWD – Stef Martin, McGlynn, Parker, Franklin, Duncan, NRoo (Charlie Cameron + Sam Lloyd)

Barlow has to go… who to bring in for him. Selwood (proviso he isn't rested)… or DPP McGLynn into mid and bring in another FWD???
    And an upgrade on Crisp or Kade Simpson or NDS – for who…

Teams has got me through so far (FYI my score of 2245 was good for 1250th best last rd – so pretty good considering). I need that kicker, that 1 player that could win it for me with a surprise 130…

• RooBoy says:

Barlow to Jordan Lewis would be my first trade.
      An undermanned Pies midfield has been haemorrhaging (is that how you spell it?) points in the last few weeks, Lewis has been in red-hot form….he could go big.

• wes says:

that's a good option.
        Barlow to Lewis (was half considering Pridis there)
        And Cornes into Macrae… ?

• RooBoy says:

Priddis also a good option, got him in last week and watched him spud it up grrrr!
          But with GC this week (who don't tag) he might want revenge and could also score well.
          Can you afford both Barlow to Lewis and Cornes to Priddis? I have no idea of Fantasy pricing sorry.

• wes says:

$$ little bit of an issue. Not enough for Lewis and Priddis… would need to pick only one of them (thus Macrae option – is a solid 100 pointer in fantasy land)

39. RooBoy says:

That second trade is a bit of a luxury at the moment, I'd wait and see what Thursday night brings…you never know if a Mitchell or JPK might get another rest which forces your hand somewhat.

Good luck in the Granny!

40. Mozz says:

I need the community's help on this one: I have 1 trade left and $116k in the bank in the GF this week in my money league, so a lot is riding on this last trade!
    My team:
    DEF: McVeigh, Smith, Hanley, Simpson, Mitchell, Enright
    MID: Rockliff, Pendles, Selwood, Liberatore, Dal Santo, Sloane, Bartel, Jones (Harvey on bench)
    RUC: Jacobs, Sandilands
    FWD: Gray, Danger, Parker, Martin, Zorko, Martin

when looking at my opponent's team, the different players he has is:
    JPK
    Goddard
    Murphy
    K.Jack
    Franklin
    Malceski
    Minson

Easily looking at trading B.Harvey out and with the money left over, i should have $620,800. What move should I do to ensure victory! Do I get someone in his team to eliminate them ie. Franklin or Malceski? Or go for someone different that could potentially score higher?

Thanks for your help again community :)

• Porcelain says:

In itially I would say cover Goddard. He is in good form and can put your win out of reach.
      But you will need to make the move early on Saturday when Goddard is playing early.
      Other option is Enright or Simpson out, Bartel to Def, then Goddard in Mid.

• jockreynolds says:

That is a ripper Mozz. Your team is solid as buggery – and I'm going to guess that pound for pound it would be difficult to have a better lineup at this time of season. I'm also going to guess that your opponent has a slightly weaker team – and is more injury impacted..
      On that note I'd take out the one piece of artillery that could potentially blow you out of the water next week – Franklin.

• wes says:

not that he needs backing up, but agree with Jock.
      I wish I had your team for the weekend… and of all players he has, Franklin is most likely to score big, and is worth covering off.
      good luck in the game

41. Tman says:

Congrats to all of you still here fighting for the ultimate glory. Commiseration for those who were crueled by the savagery or poor decisions. Learn from it and come back strong next year, which I am sure you will.

Although Im not in SC and only played the DT, I feel part of the community. Your insights, wisdom and suggestions have made so many decisions easier to make and so much better. I have enjoyed the supreme effort of JRC and the willingness of all to help. A big shout out to Jock, Higgo, Crouching, Itchy, Addict, Throttle and Pieman for sharing your wisdom.

True to my word I will switch next year to SC and be with you all. Fighting for JRC respect and standing.
    Being somewhat a noob with JR leagues and qualifications. Would appreciate a run down to get my blood pumping for 2015. Look forward to being a donor next year.

Thanks again, you guys rock!!

• Tman says:

Forgot to thank Mozz. Who was always there to help.

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Good on ya Tman. Welcome to the clan. You’ll love SC. And there is no better place to come for your education!

• Mozz says:

Pleasure to be of service Tman! Glad to hear that you'll be making the switch to Supercoach next year. Send us a comment or message early next year and i'll get you into a league with other fellow community members :) Won't be a JR league but at least you'll be among us!

• Mozz says:

Here is the rundown of the JR leagues and qualifications:

• jockreynolds says:

Gday there Tman – any friend of Fantasy Footy is a friend of ours mate! We have a special community here mate and glad you're onboard. You know there's a lot here ready to ease your transition into SC and make it a fruitful one

42. TOM says:

Talk about Ward havng a fitness test and may be right to play this weekend!

43. Carters says:

A big thank you to all at the site. I haven’t contributed much but the podcasts and wisdom have got me well towards my aim of a top 1000 finish.

Currently ranked 82nd overall and have made all grannies!

Absolutely wrapped and looking forward to getting really stuck in next year.

Good luck to all!

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Awesome effort Carters. Good luck in your Grannies. You clearly know what you doing. Don’t be afraid to step up buddy. Your elite!

• jockreynolds says:

Great to have you Carters and well done on a significant season. Look forward to you spreading the light of your significant wisdom on here and on the pod next season mate!

44. cyrl says:

What I happening with Will Minson? Him being out has forced me to put ambrose on the ground and swing martin into the ruck

45. Oliver says:

Wanted to say a massive thank you to the community and to Jock for all the guidance this year. I’ve had an up and down season where I had more than my fare share if injuries early on but luckily have managed to escape most of the carnage the last few weeks. My overall ranking is fairly poor at about 17k but I’ve been in the top 5k for the round the last 5 weeks which is a massive improvement for me.

I’m playing off in my GF in my only league and am hoping that Kennedy and McGlynn are back in if so I’m thinking of dumping Dalhaus to the bench and playing McGovern as his recent form is better. Hopefully I can get over the line and I think I’ll have to give some sort of donation as well for all the help this year. Best of luck to everyone playing in a GF this year.

46. Mitch says:

Need help with my final spot on my team with kennedy being injured
    106,900 in the bank
    In 4 grand finals, so a huge week for me!

mcveigh swallow bartel simpson jaensch mitchell
    pendles selwood priddis rockliff libba gray murphy kennedy
    sandilands goldstein / currie
    parker dangefield zorko d.martin s.martin franklin / rohan

cheers

47. dognino says:

Got just over 2200 last week , with 3 donuts in beams, Kennedy and Martin . Still enough to get me in a GF in 1 league as my opponent had the same along with a few extra. Will just have the 1 donut this weak in beams, I have players on my bench in fwd and back line , but I can't cover as the 3 injuries I have in the mids are not swing men. This is the most frustrating part , being set up with swing men, but if they are not the injured players, there is no point.