PODCAST: Finals Week 2 – playing to win

Filed in Supercoach, Supercoach 2014, Weekly Podcast by on August 10, 2014 • views: 1762

Supercoach 2014

What a weekend of fantasy footy finals!

EVERY move we make from here on is a season maker or breaker and glory is absolutely there for the taking.

If you have been bundled out in finals week 1 we are thinking of you. It’s a difficult time in every fantasy footballers life – but it is CRUCIAL that you play this season out with full application. Start planning for 2015 as well and take the time to reflect on what went wrong.

Otherwise – still in the hunt with a sniff of blood in the old nostrils? Well done.

Now join Peter “Higgo” Higginbotham, The Crouching One and I as we turn our analytic blow torch onto the second week of the finals.

GREAT NEWS:

• Adam from UnitedAs1 spoke to us Thursday night. He’s leading the Qualifiers group – had a belter of a weekend with 2610 and has now moved to 11th in Supercoach overall
  • Andrew from Random Breath Test is winning the donors league (and is also in divvy 2) scored a MONSTER 2639 and has moved into 10th overall – well done lads!!

1. mike says:

Stevie J for? Boomer or Nate Jones

• SCaddict says:

Assuming Stevie J is rubbed out then between those two I'd go Boomer given North's remaining draw. A little more coin would get you an in form POD in McGlynn who's averaged 129 over the last 3 and the Swans have a couple of easy kills to come over the next fortnight. Or perhaps a Jarrad Waite as the boys mentioned on the podcast. You would need to swing a DPP forward into your middle to make that happen.

But if SJ survives the wrath of the MRP/Tribunal this week I'd hang on to him as he's probably overdue for a ball tearing performance after a couple of shockers.

He's not quite in that Pav/Wingard category of "have to get rid of him at all costs" just yet unless he's suspended of course.

2. Jack says:

Go the dees

3. Brendan says:

Have a feeling fyfe might be rested this week

• RooBoy says:

I think next week is more likely if it happens….avoid the road trip to Brisbane

• SCaddict says:

If he's fit to play then reckon he will line up as Freo are really scrapping to make top 4 and it's a huge game against the Hawks at Subi. Will come down to how sore that shoulder really is by the weekend.

4. Corey says:

G'day community, which would be a better trade? Can't decide
    Scott Thompson (Nth) out for Burgoyne
    or Cotchin out for Ward/ Sloane
    Cheers

• jockreynolds says:

I reckon Sloane. He'll cut Richmond to ribbons next week

• SCaddict says:

Yeah defensive options are too unreliable to justify precious trades. The Sloane Dog with the Crows remaining draw should be a nice points upgrade over Cotch who too often has missing quarters and halves.

• throttlefinger says:

Completely agree, SCaddict. And think that also goes for forwards. You have to live with your choices. Few are that consistent at front and back positions. It's something to remind yourself early in the season as well as later.

• big aggots says:

Rissole Thompson. 78 his highest return for the past 6 matches. Is playing sore with his ribs.
      Cotchin is moving like my grandmother at present but he's still managing 100 most weeks.

5. Fitzy says:

should I trade wingard out? it will be my last trade before I run out so Im a little cautious, but he has been absolutely shocking. I will have just under 500k to play with so I won't be able to get the likes of Boomer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

• Matt says:

I would look either Roughead or Dustin Martin who are both under 500k.
      Depends on ur team structure though, Freo players will be rested in the GF, Stevie J could be rubbed out, etc.

6. Luck of the Irish says:

A very weird week for me Jock. I'm somewhat in the hunt for the top 6 in the qualifiers league but have made the biggest blunder of the season. I intended to loophole Robbie Gray, Dayne Zorko, and Stevie J together by utilising Honeychurch's mid/fwd link, however the end result was terrible. As I tried to grab Grays score in the fwd line I put Charlie Cameron on in the fwd line over Honeychurch, with the C on him in an attempt to grab Selwood's VC score. However, as we all know Cameron played forcing me to take a cruel realisation that I was about to miss out on 138 points, I had accidentally read last weeks team sheet somehow thinking Honeychurch was playing and Cameron not. I scored 2557 and luckily won all my league matches but what could have been, what could have been… A lesson I will never forget.

7. Jimmy says:

who do I trade in for wingard? Only have $383,600

8. Porcelain says:

What are the community thoughts on these options, please.
    Trying to win league, $186k and 3 trades remain. I lost in week1, so must-win from here or it is Mad Monday for me.

Option 1 is just 1 trade as a choice of
    McGovern out / R Gray in OR Prestia out / Sloane in

Option 2 will be 2 trades
    Lycett out / Gray in (Thurlow to Ruck and no Emergency cover in Ruck)
    and
    Prestia out / Sloane in

9. shayne says:

Green (gws) and Ellis (rich) both have been in great form and would look good as my M8 for the rest of the finals
    what are your thoughts plz?

• Mozz says:

that would really depend on the rest of your midfield. One thing that I have learnt this year is that you don't want too many POD's in the one line, because they all could have bad games. I have NDS, N.Jones and Sloane all in my mid, and one of them doesn't score well every week, it's very annoying!

I think that if the rest of your mids are full premos ie. JPK, Pendles, Fyfe, Rockliff, Beams etc. Then bring them in!

10. OzSonic says:

Week off so downgrade time. Sheenhan in for Taylor. $330K to spend with 3 trades.

11. Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

5 Qualifying finals. 5 Wins. 5 Prelims. Gimme 5! Couldn't of done it without you Jock old mate!

12. Mozz says:

I have a little dilemma community. I have 3 trades left and 100k in the bank and in a semi final this week, so looking to make 1 upgrade somewhere, but i don't know which option is better:

Option 1: Trade OUT Nick Dal Santo and bring in either JPK or Ward. Both are in my opponents team and I personally think that JPK will go large against the saints this week.

Option 2: Trade OUT Sandilands, swing Stefan Martin into the Ruck and bring in Gray/Mcglynn/Waite.

I don't know whether to go with bringing someone different in, or bring someone that my opponent has. Which option has the greater scoring potential!?

Thanks community, love your work

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

Gday Mozz. Not really sold on effectively a Sandi to one of those forwards. Waite worries me, he's had more injuries than I've had hot dinners. He could also spud up anytime. NDS to JPK for a captaincy option sounds a lot better to me. Potentially a lot more points can be made from that trade. Post your team, I'm sure some good advice will follow.

• BEN BRETEL says:

both bad ideas do u have anyothers

• Bruce says:

Need to make 2 trades i think.

13. Mozz says:

Thanks Pieman. Here is my team: 5 trades left and $106,400 in the bank

DEF: Hanley, Bartel, McVeigh, Simpson, Smith, Enright (Jones, Gregoriou)

MID: Pendles, Rockliff, Beams, Sloane, Selwood, Liberatore, N.Jones, NDS (Taylor, Acres)

RUC: Jacobs, Sandilands

FWD: Dangerfield, Parker, Harvey, D.Martin, Zorko, S.Martin (Lloyd, Fantasia)

I'm pretty happy with everything so far, except for NDS after last week's 49. I'm also worried about Leuenberger coming back into the Brisbane team, which will alter Martin's output. SO what should I do?

• Tman says:

Mozz i'd be looking at upgrading zorko to mcglynn and NDS to JPK/Pridis. Though you will need a downgrade to make both happen and lose some bench cover.

• Itchy Nuts Pieman says:

5 trades is a luxury. You could grab the cash from Taylor & do the trades Tman has suggested. I like the NDS to JPK for loophole

• WombatsFC says:

Danger and Zorko both under performing. get Gray

14. Sambillbombers says:

Who would you trade out jock Del santo zorko or the Hoff have heaps of money

15. Porcelain says:

Why do so many of us want to trade out NDS ?
    Is he in a slump or is he getting extra attention from the opposition ?

A few weeks back we were talking about loading up on Nth Melb players for SCoach finals because of their run home (Bulldogs, Crows, Demons)

• SCaddict says:

There's an obvious knee jerk reaction whenever a star has a shocker. The urge to rage trade can be hard to resist particularly if he cost you a prelim for instance. Stevie J is another case in point.

But considering North's remaining draw I'd be definitely keeping NDS, unless you are bringing in Rocky for him, as surely most coaches have bigger fish to fry with their few remaining trades.

If you take out last round's score he's averaged 110 over the previous 5 which is pretty decent output for an M7/M8 in my view.

16. BEN BRETEL says:

i have hit the strapps with score of 2617 and 2507

17. SCaddict says:

Roughie has been offered a week by the MRP which will affect nearly a quarter of all Supercoaches especially those who have critical semi finals to play this weekend.

From a Hawthorn perspective, though not ideal, at least they can spare him a trip to Perth and he can freshen up for September action. So I'd be surprised if they take the risk and challenge the sanction but you never know I guess.

On the flip side Stevie J can count himself a little lucky though.

18. world record says:

let's see how many thumbs up a comment can get …

19. Mitch says:

Peaking at the right end of the season with my best score for the year
    Got 2633 and pretty happy getting ranked 284 for the round

Team is
    Mcveigh Swallow Simpson Bartel Jaensch Mitchell / Georgiou Tippett
    Pendles Selwood Kennedy Beams Murphy Rockliff Fyfe Libba / Hartung Acres
    Sandilands Goldstein / Currie Thurlow
    Parker Dangerfield Zorko D.martin S.martin R.gray / Honeychurch Rohan

3 trades left and 35k in the bank
    Where to go now? Should I sideways trade someone or hold my team
    Need to keep 1-2 trades atleast leading into grand final

Cheers

• Danners16 says:

Perfect team, wait for the teams to come out

• Tony says:

Mate, with a team like that I would sit tight. Plenty carnage to come. Imagine if you had Johnson – almost rubbed out, roughie out and fyfe very sore. Save the trades.

• Tony says:

Also forgot Dangerfield very proppy

• Azmataz says:

Nice team there Mitch. The only real weakness in my opinion is Jaensch. You have a luxury trade up your sleeve so maybe there is something you can do there. Otherwise hold for injuries / suspensions.

20. unassailable says:

Currently my team is pretty set.

the only player I am thinking about trading at the moment is Nic Nait..

I have three trades left and $250K spare..

Would you recommend I trade him for Goldstein OR Jacobs?

• dean billman says:

Jacobs, he's been great for me all year.

• Azmataz says:

Can't really go wrong with either mate. I have both of them, and they have both been awesome lately. Toss of a coin really. Maybe the cheaper of the two…

21. Danners16 says:

Hey guys not sure whether I should use a trade to go from Docherty to H.Shaw. I will have 2 trades left if I do this and have about $70000 in the bank. What should I do?

22. Blake says:

0 trades

23. Youngy says:

Who to get rid of for Sloane Cotchin or Griffen. Please I need the wisdom thx!

• wes says:

Hi Youngy… I'd be keeping Sloane with his run home… for sure.
      For mine, Frigg hasn't done enough to warrant keeping him – so if you had to trade 1, it would be him IMO

• wes says:

Griff I mean… not frigg

• SCaddict says:

I think he means he wants to bring Sloane in for either Cotch or Griffen.

It's a tough call as Griffen has been hampered with injury niggles for much of the season so isn't quite the player he was in 2013. But Cotch has been pretty disappointing too just scraping in tonnes in recent weeks.

I reckon either would be worth the upgrade if you have a few spare trades lying around considering the Crows remaining draw.

24. Remy says:

Who's the better pick: Jordan Lewis or Travis Boak?

25. Remy says:

Best forward to get in for Roughy?
    I have 430K

• wes says:

what is your whole fwd line, Remy?

• SCaddict says:

Any reason you haven't got Roughie's full $498K to spend? Petrie is probably the best forward around the $430K mark with North's run home though KPPs can and will have their ups and downs.

Frankly there is not much else around $430K really worth jumping on. The forwards you can rely on the most are all unfortunately above the $500K threshold unfortunately except maybe Dusty at $491K.

• Remy says:

Well, I was thinking of upgrading Douglas to Boak or Lewis, then downgrade Roughy….
        I also did consider:
        Douglas to Jack Steven
        Then, Roughy to Dusty, although I thought that was too risky.
        FWD: Parker, S. Martin, Petrie, Zorko, Roughy, Dangerfield

• George says:

Devon Smith from the Giants maybe?

26. Steve says:

Hey community, i have hibberd on my bench in defence and have been playing brodie martin on the field for the past few weeks. Should i hold hibberd or trade him out for a midfielder? i would have 610k to spend. Also, is having tex walker and pav as my f6 and f7 good, or should i trade pav out for a forward player? I have swingsets in most positions and only one trade left.

27. George says:

Hey community, I won my QF so week off for me, wondering if there are any ways to improve my team:
    3 trades and $58k left
    DEF: Swallow, Simpson, Burgoyne, Enright, Docherty, Mitchell (Bews, Jones)
    MID: Pendlebury, Selwood, Kennedy, Beams, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Murphy, Sidebottom (Acres, Morabito)
    RUC: Jacobs, Sandilands (Derickx, Currie)
    FWD: Parker, Gray, Martin, Roughead, Martin, Walker (Taylor, Lloyd)
    Cheers :)

• Azmataz says:

You could upgrade Docherty or Walker but otherwise team looking pretty good there mate. There is also room for another midfielder if you shift Danger back to your forward line.

Swallow could also be an option to change to Malceski or McVeigh.

28. Wheels says:

Congrats to United as One and Random Breath Test.
    From the community we wish you luck..
    and stay away from the crouching one's lady
    she like man who big and strong in super coach

29. Azmataz says:

Week off for me this week as won both my league matches. Took a risk in having Petrie as my VC which paid off big time as my opponents took Fyfe's modest VC score (who I don't have).

Got $154k in the kitty and 1 trade left. Have Pav on-field (who might find himself on the bench this week for McGovern), and also Andrew Swallow and Stevie J. Swallow hasn't been the revelation I was hoping he would be when I brought him in a month or so ago (bar his 132), so he may be the one to go next week or the week after for someone better.
    Stuck with Pav now as he is worth bugger all so am more likely to upgrade McGovern to someone better and keep Pav on the bench as cover.

30. Bart says:

2 trades left and elimination semis in both of my leagues.
    I'm tossing up between the two options below.
    1. Suckling & Shenton out/ McVeigh & a102k cheapie in (McGovern on field.)
    2. L. Taylor & Shenton out/ R. Gary & a102k cheapie in.( leaves me McGovern as Fwd bench cover)

Team is currently:
    Def: Swallow, Bartel, Hanley, Suckling, Enright, Mitchell. (Georgiou & Bews)
    Mid: pendlebury, Selwood, JPK, Fyfe, Rockcliff, Beams, Libba, Cotchin (L. Taylor & A. Woodward)
    Rucks: Sandi, Lobbe (Thurlow & King)
    Feds: Parker, Dangerfield, D. Martin, S. Martin, Dahlhaus, McGovern (Shenton & J. Paine)