Flesh for Fantasy – Round 17, GAJ Special

Filed in Supercoach, Supercoach 2014, Supercoach Mr Crimmins style by on July 10, 2014 • views: 1725

flesh-for-fantasy-150x150G’day community,

Our worst SuperCoach nightmare has become a reality. The greatest fantasy player to ever play the game, and one of the AFL’s absolute greats will require surgery after a shoulder dislocation which will rule him out for the remainder of the season.

This is worst possible injury, as for many, the C is left on Gaz weekly and we log back in at the completion of the round to see a 280-300 score. We cannot hold onto him unfortunately, Gaz must be dealt with.

Trading Gaz this week will be the most important trade of the season. No longer is everyone in the same boat of owning Gaz. Coaches will go in different directions and whoever you bring in for Gaz could be the difference.

So this week is a Gary Ablett special, helping in decide what to do with the legend himself.

Let’s begin.

SIDEWAYS TRADE

What most will be doing is trading out Gary for a player of similar form and price. This, I believe, is the most suitable option you’re content with your team and don’t require $$$ for further upgrades. Here are the options.

Nathan Fyfe (FRE) MID – $639,300 SC

• Next 5 Games: GWS (H), STK (A), CARL (H), GEE (A), HAW (H)
  • Recent Scores: 109, 128, 143, 158, 125
  • Breakeven: 98

In unbelievable touch this season, there is a fear amongst many in the AFL that this bloke may win the Brownlow, but be unable to go home with the medal after being suspended for 2 games in round 2. But what we do know is that Fyfe is a bonafide SuperCoach star this season, dropping under 100 just once. His last 4 weeks have been outrageous, pumping out Ablett-like numbers. His game against the West Coast Eagles was sensational, collecting 31 touches and laying 7 tackles for 158 SC points. Fremantle’s run of games coming up should see Fyfe continue this form, but that said, it is irrelevant who he plays, he will score 100+ no matter what.

Scott Pendlebury (COLL) MID – $640,400 SC

• Next 5 Games: ESS (A), ADEL (H), PORT (H), WCE (A), GWS (A)
  • Recent Scores: 112, 139, 121, 131, 134
  • Breakeven: 117

Owned by over 51% of player, if you don’t have Scott Pendlebury, you’ve either opted for Gary Ablett or you’ve decided on some PODs. There is not much for me to say about Pendles except 100+ scores in EVERY GAME THIS SEASON. In case you didn’t get it the first time, in every game that Scott Pendlebury has played in this season, he has scored 100+. If you want to get really messed up, he has dropped below 110+ once (102), and 120 four times (102, 115, 113, 112). The safest of options, most will already have Pendles, but if you don’t, get him in!

Josh P Kennedy (SYD) MID – $593,300 SC

• Next 5 Games: CARL (H), HAW (A), ESS (H), PORT (A), STK (H)
  • Recent Scores: 126, 102, 118, 130, 72
  • Breakeven: 152

Much like Pendlebury and Fyfe, if you look at JPK’s season progression, he has scored 100+ in every game bar round 1 and the most recent. So in terms of scores, JPK is pretty much a walking 100. What is most interesting to note about JPK is who he plays in finals. Week 1 he will play Port Adelaide, but from there plays St Kilda, Western Bulldogs and Richmond. This could be quite significant, as you want the best players to maximise their scoring in finals (Captain Obvious). This is what makes JPK an interesting prospect and definitely one to consider for Gaz.

POINT OF DIFFERENCE

Another way to go is to bring in an option different to the rest, a point of difference. This option is best for those who need to make up ground to finish either in top 4 or in the top 8. They are guaranteed points that other coaches won’t have, as we are used to Gary’s score being cancelled out by our opposition.

Michael Barlow (FRE) MID – $547,000 SC

• Next 5 Games: GWS (H), STK (A), CARL (H), GEE (A), HAW (H)
  • Recent Scores: 98, 99, 114, 111, 124
  • Breakeven: 91

Netting yourself $100k+ for a player that has scored 110+ in 5 of his past 7 games makes Barlow an option for Gaz. Owned by just 3.6% of teams, Barlow was sensational on the weekend v Melbourne, laying a game high 9 tackles to go with 29 touches. He is doing a bit of the in and under work, amassing a good number of tackles to go with his 25+ touches. He won’t score 120+ every week and may be prone to the odd score below 100, but he will be $100k+ in the bank, no one really owns him and has a nice run of games to come. Definitely worth considering.

Matthew Priddis (WCE) MID – $598,000 SC

• Next 5 Games: BRIS (A), RICH (H), ADEL (A), COLL (H), ESS (A)
  • Recent Scores: 144, 132, 91, 128, 131, 110, 123
  • Breakeven: 123

Before you say, “Crimmo, Priddis is hardly a POD”, that is true, but none of you blokes actually own him so he is a POD in my eyes. Just 2.33% of coaches are banking Matthew’s 120+ scores, and while you won’t pocket the same $$$ as you may have with Barlow, you will get better scoring. Much like Barlow, Priddis is laying a lot of tackles – 8 v Sydney, 9 v Fremantle, 4 v St Kilda, 7 v Gold Coast, 8 v Hawthorn, 9 v North…you get the picture. With 30+ disposals to go with the tackles, Priddis is in ripping touch and with no one owning him and a nice run of games coming up, I would make Priddis your priority if you want a POD for Gaz.

CASH GENERATION

Finally, for those who are in desperate need for cash to upgrade players, sending Gaz down to generate $150k+ might not be the worst idea in the world. Granted, you will lose upward of maybe 40+ points a week, but will gain that around the ground in areas you upgrade….if that makes sense. These are more risky types and should only be considered if you’ve truly got balls of steel

Steve Johnson (GEE) MID – $505,300 SC

• Next 5 Games: MELB (A), GWS (A), NM (A), FRE (H), CARL (A)
  • Recent Scores: 92, 84, 88, 114, 119
  • Breakeven: 68

A very disappointing season given what we’ve come to know and expect from Stevie J, but there is still a chance for him to finish the year strong. His statistics on the weekend were massive, 25 touches and 14 tackles, but did give away 4 free kicks which hurts. The week before, 25 touches and 6 tackles starting forward. So Stevie is certainly starting to work his way back into games. The next two games couldn’t have come at a better time to continue the form. Melbourne you’d expect him to continue the tackling given the style Roosy likes to play, and against GWS, Stevie could go very big. I’d bring him in with absolutely 0 confidence given how much he has let us down this season, but a profitable risk.

Shane Savage (STK) MID – $366,400 SC

• Next 5 Games: NM (A), FRE (H), GCS (A), WB (H), SYD (A)
  • Recent Scores: 31, 94, 104, 119
  • Breakeven: -5

Been somewhat a revival since coming back into this outrageously bad St Kilda line up. I don’t expect any of you to get Shane Savage in for Gary Ablett and I deserve to be laughed out of the room. However, Shane is pumping out some big scores in his new role off halfback – collecting 25+ touches and the freedom to push forward and kick goals outside 50. I don’t think he’ll emulate anywhere near the scoring of the greatest fantasy player of all time, but a healthy $300k+ into the kitty is kind of tempting….

Harley Bennell (GCS) MID – $536,200 SC

• Next 5 Games: WBD (A), BRIS (A), STK (H), CARL (A), PORT (H)
  • Recent Scores: 100, 77, 167, 76, 110
  • Breakeven: 134

Form no where near as consistent as his teammates, but someone in that Suns line up has to step up and take over from Gaz…why not Bennell? Harley’s best games are brilliant, while his bad aren’t flash. He started forward for his 110 v Collingwood, while against Geelong he was simply that good – kicked 6 and had 27 going between the midfield and forward line. I expect Bennell to get more time in the guts now Gaz is out, just a question of whether he has the tank to play like he did v Geelong. I suspect he may just do so and is serious value at $536,200 – pocket a cool $140k. Definitely worth a thought, someone in that GCS side needs to step up and fill the void.

Anywho, whatever decision you make RE Gaz, I’m sure you’ll nail it and get back on track for SuperCoach glory.

All this best this weekend community,

Mr. Crimmins

Come And Get Your Supercoach Footy Fix Here:

PODCAST: Ablett Down. Ablett Down.

Round 17 Supercoach Prices And Breakevens

Round 17 Supercoach Scouting Report

1. Patrick says:

hey all, please help me for who to trade for gaz, my mids are:
    gAZ, pendles, selwood, stevie, nds, murphy, goddard, beams (honeychurch, hartung)

I was thinking libba, everyone is saying fyfe but im just scared he may get rested toward our supercoach finals!
    What are peoples thoughts, cheers

• Tom says:

Everyone is saying Fremantle will rest players, but I'm not so sure. There are 5 teams that are all competing for the top 4, I think that they will all want to win as many as possible. Aged players like Sandi and The Pav may get rested, but I think Fyfe and Barlow will be picked when available. But Libba is not a bad option either.

• ryanleaver1811 says:

Go with your gut. Both should be good options really.

2. TOM says:

who should be my captain, Pendles, Libba or Kennedy

3. john fitzgerald says:

priddis, ward, NDS or boomer?

have all the big mid guns but need a replacement for gaz

cheers

4. THE SALTSHAKERS says:

Ablett > Barlow, Tyson > Dal Santo are my trades leaving me with 2 trades :(

5. Azmataz says:

Cheers Mr Crimmins, great write-up. I think I am going to go with JPK for Gaz, but I am strongly considering Fyfe. It's a tough one!

6. ryanleaver1811 says:

Any chance Swan will hit form after playing the bombers this week whom he always seems to dominate? Could be a cash generating POD.

• Dean says:

I wouldn't touch Swan with a 20 foot barge poll, I cannot believe how poor he has been compared to last season. There are far to many more consistent midfielders for mine.

However good luck with who ever you select.

7. Ray says:

Gaz to Honeychurch
    6 trades left and 600k
    Full premo except Lewis Taylor including players like wingard zorko Jaensch
    Thoughts ??

8. nick says:

Hi community. Another great article Mr crummins. I’m thinking gaj to greenwood and langdon to mcveigh….your thoughts pls as will only have 3 trades left and fighting to stay in 8

9. Ty S says:

Do I trade Hibberd? He is still named injured and is not in the line up….

10. ashman23 says:

What about Gaz for Sloane?

11. Matt says:

I need as many peoples opinion as possible.
    Who should I get for Ablett?
    Fyfe, Libba or Sloane

12. jack says:

Parker and rockliff or libba and harvey?

13. TOM says:

Is it worth going McGovern to Stefan Martin as my last forward?

14. The_Darwin_Ducks says:

who to trade for honeychurch
    Sam Lloyd or Charlie Cameron?

15. @lewiswgrant says:

Luenberger Achilles in two's last week and not playing – I have Martin fwd and has been a great f6.

16. Mathew says:

Priddis or Steven Johnson?

17. ollie says:

I feel like the supercoach gods are punishing me, finally got Ablett in to my side last week and he gets injured. I have 7 trades left with Ablett,Shaw, Rioli all injured and Rocky Suspended. An easy game this week but play 3rd and 4th the next two weeks, currently in 2nd in my league. What should I do?

• Michael says:

hold trades for this week, you'll have Rocky back next week, trade out GAJ next week, if you have bench cover leave Shaw (which one?) and Rioli but if you need to trade out Rioli as well. Host of options, hard to say which to go for as you haven't posted your team.

• Azmataz says:

Definitely trade Gaz out this week. There is absolutely no point in holding on to him. Trade straight to another Super premo you don't have.

18. Cyzil says:

Great stuff!

Which pair is best out of:
    Kennedy and Gray
    OR
    Fyfe and Motlop (avg 109 last 3 games and is a good pod)

Thanks

19. Jobe says:

Who will avg most for the rest of the season out of Kennedy and Fyfe???

20. Danners16 says:

Hi guys replacements for Gaz which one do I get? I have considered all of their finals runs
    1. JPK
    2. T.Liberatore
    3. C.Ward
    4. R.Sloane
    5. J.McVeigh
    Thanks

21. Sully321 says:

Rockliff?

22. Michael says:

Hi Community,

Great article Higgo, although your mention of Savage as an option is seriously left field!

Thought I'd share my strategy over the next couple of weeks, as always interested in your thoughts.
    Firstly, my team before trades this week:

DEF: Swallow, Bartel, McVeigh, Simpson, Hibberd, Enright (Bews, ZJones)
    MID: GAJ, Pendles, JPK, Jelwood, Beams, Fyfe, Murph, Taylor (O'Brien, Honeychurch)
    RUC: Sandy, Sauce (Derickx, King)
    FWD: Parker, Danger, Dusty, Zorko, Pav, Ambrose (Shenton, Cameron)

I have $275K in the bank & 4 trades. Only in public league and only interested in best outright result (currently sitting just inside top 6K, keen to beat my result of around 8K last year).

My plan this week is GAJ to Cotchin, Hibberd to Hanley, leaves me with 2 trades & $335.3K in the bank.

In 2 weeks I will then trade out O'Brien and bring in Sam Mitchell to enable def/mid swing set.
    Should leave me with about $85K and 1 trade.
    Finally I will trade out Taylor, swing Shenton into mids, leaves me with around $480K to get my final fwd.
    Choices I see at this stage are out of Dahlhaus, Gunston, Roughy, Schulz, Motlop, Betts or Clokey.

Are there any better ways to do this to get a more consistent final premo fwd? Or should I just hold final trade for LTI's? Other concern is if Sandy is rested and Derickx doesn't get game time, I'll cop a donut, but not much I can do about that.

Thanks community, good luck this week!

23. Hazey says:

Wondering if I should trade out OBrien in place of Ambrose to avoid the 0. Would cost me an extra trade next week to get Shenton toa top line Premo. 7 trades left.

T/U shift OBrien n use extra trade
    T/D shift Ambrose for max $$$ n save a trade

24. grugeneski says:

my team for rnd 17

def: bartel, malceski, mcveigh, hanley, lumumba, suckling (z jones, c cameron)
    mid: pendles, swallow, parker, wines, o'meara, macrae, swan (o'brien, ross)
    ruc: sauce, mummy (brown, thurlow)
    fwd: boomer, danger, dusty, zorko, pav, bird (honeychurch, c cameron)

Had $74k in the bank before making my moves for the week. Initially was going to swap GAJ for fyfe and upgrade macrae to selwood. However as I didn't have any fwd/mid cover in my midfield decided instead to downgrade GAJ to zorko which gave me made me 233k and allowed me to upgrade to mcveigh for cutler who was sitting on my bench in backline. Allowing me to bench Z Jones, who will hopefully be back next week giving me cover to downgrade/upgrade one of suckling/lumumba/swan or macrae.

Wondering if i made the right move or if I should upgrade macrae now before he drops price even more after this week?

25. Dutch Life says:

Dutch Life says:

July 10, 2014 at 1:32 pm

Who to get in for Gaz.?

Already have Pendles, Ward, JPK, Selwood, Cotchin, Murphy, Johnson.

With Obrien and Acres on the Bench.

I was thinking Rockliff but he is out this week,

Fyfe, but worried about being rested,

Libba, incositincy.?

Any other options, I think I might go fyfe, Libba, or Sloan,?

Would love your help community.

I currently have 3 trades and $160,000.

• grugeneski says:

sloane, parker, swallow or bartel all options. the last three giving you swing coverage also

26. Dutch Life says:

Already have Parker, Swallow, and Bartel

27. Simon T says:

Hey Community!!!!

Would welcome any advice this week.

Looking to trade Ablett.for Fyfe, Dal Santo or Priddis and then Ambrose to Parker. If I grab Fyfe and Parker leaves me only $26k in the bank. Also thinking of bringing in Ben Brown for Currie or should I hold off to next week to make that trade.

Thanks Community.

28. Unsure says:

Kieran Jack, mark my words here

• Pots says:

K Jack has not had any attention as a possible trade in for GAZ. Will make approx $155K and has a fairly easy run home. Has been fairly consistent over the season but dropped a few games under 100 in the last few. Is there something I am missing?

• theazzyg says:

I dunno, i feel he's a quality player, but not getting huge scores with the other midfielders around him dominating, i.e. hanneberry, parker, kennedy and that's just a few.

• TheAnointedOne says:

Would you blokes STFup(lol…lol) KJack flying under radar with everyone…he is our massive POD ssssshhhh!!!

29. Kinnas says:

What does everyone think of a trade for A. Swallow for GAJ….

Starting to hit some form and get more of the ball, whats norths run home like???

30. Badoomp says:

Yeh, trade whatever it is inside your head that makes you think you're funny in for a brain, problem solved!!

31. Dogncrow says:

Robbie Gray for GAJ??

Needing cash for a good ruckman, should I go Nic Nat?

32. Simon T says:

Which of the following combinations is my best option?

1) GAJ to Fyfe (worried about being rested) and Ambrose/McGovern to Parker
    2) GAJ to Priddis and Ambrose/McGovern to Parker
    3) GAJ to Dal Santo and Ambrose/McGovern to Parker
    4) GAJ to any of the above and Ambrose/McGovern to Ben Brown

33. Dave2008 says:

Im clear in the top 4 and have 9 tades left, just traded Shenton for Honeychurch and my initial thought was to hold this week and next and use 3-4 trades to finish my team. I have been looking at bringing in A Swallow for a few weeks and his be is 55 so may go up 15k or so this week. So do I get him this week for Ablett leaving me with one more mid to bring in (Rockcliff Sloane maybe) Or do I take the advantage of knowing Im top 4 and hold in case whoever I bring in gets injured before the finals.

Team
    B Bartel McVeigh Swallow Enright Birchall Suckling (Laidler Clurey)
    M Ablett Pendles JPK Selwood Beams Murphy Delsanto Zorko (Taylor Acres)
    R Sandi Jacobs (Currie Thurlow)
    F Danger Roughy R Gray Dalihaus D Martin S Martin (Kerstin Honeychurch)

Where to from here? Suckling to Mitchell and try and get Parker or Boomer in to forwards or as M8?

• Pdiggity says:

I would be holding as many trades as possible. You can probably afford to burn a few but going into finals with 6+ is a dream. If you are definitely top 4 hold as many as you can.

• Dave2008 says:

Thanks mate I just moved Shenton on for Honeychurch giving me 400 k and 9 trades left., Swallow is a possible bargain but will he be a top 8 or so mid? Prob not. Im thinking hold now until last two weeks and then use 3-4 to get Mitchell in for Suckling and another mid so would have 6 going into finals. How are u placed

34. Arlie says:

I’m impressed, I have to admit. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s equally educative and interesting, and let me tell you, you’ve hit

the nail on the head. The problem is something that too few men and women are speaking intelligently about.

I’m very happy that I stumbled across this

in my hunt for something relating to this.

35. Vickey says:

It doesn’t matter how good your job is the only real successful person is the
    owner of the business. Your team can have ready access to all your training material on a website, or via
    emails, making it very easy to learn, and to share with their own teams.
    If middle class person with a car budget of $500 per month buys a $60,000 Corvette with $4,000 per month income,
    they will incur debt instead of being able to pay off their debt.