Port Adelaide v Essendon NAB School worksheet

Filed in Essendon, NAB Cup Analysis, Port Adelaide, Supercoach, Supercoach 2014 by on February 26, 2014 • views: 1079

Analysis of the Port Adelaide v Essendon game:

Essendon looked like they were gonna stomp a mudhole in Port early on, but couldn’t convert their chances, kicking 3.8 in the first quarter. The rest of the game was all Port Adelaide. Some notes from the game.

• Justin Westhoff kicked 5.1 (also got a freebie from Baguley), but also moved down the ground. Ended with 14 possessions and 9 marks. Looked very good.
  • Jared Polec looked superb – Plenty of run and carry and a terrific kick on him too. Looking like he’ll be a midfield M6-7-8 (depending on your structures) for plenty of sides.
  • Matty Lobbe – Had 51% TOG – Was only good for 5 possessions, but had 18 hitouts.
  • Dyson Heppell – Plenty of the ball and 7 tackles. Would have no hesitation picking him if he was still DEF eligible.
  • Paul Chapman – Didn’t look out of place at all – Still worry about the “16 game” resting theory.
  • Tom Clurey – 14 possessions, 11 marks, 100% DE – If he plays Rd 1 he will likely earn a bench spot in my side.
  • Jarman Impey – Hard to judge – Played 47% TOG tonight, 63% against Adelaide – Defending small forwards (Jetta tonight) might limit his scores?
  • Zach Merrett – 34% TOG – 9 possies, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 2 Inside 50’s, 88.9% DE – Still on my radar

Barron Von Crow

Ariel Steinberg 29

Jackson Merrett 25

Jason Ashby 22

Andrew Moore 21

Jarman Impey 17

3. PJ8 says:

A couple of things I noticed:

Wingard – 49% game time for 78 points is very good (12 disposals) I really love watching this kid. He will defiantly get more attention than last year but very close to slotting him in.

Hibberd – I have had him for a few weeks now. Subbed out with Hamstring tightness, Bomber said he will be fine. 35% game time for 45 points (9 disposals 89% eff).

Any thoughts on these?

• Sarah says:

I like both of them and have had Hibberd in from the start… he's never been cut from my initial draft of my team… so really hoping he gets up for round 1.

I'd love to pick Wingard but don't think I have the guts to do so until I see how he handles the increased attention.

• zimmerbd says:

I have Hibberd in at the moment. Hamstring tightness with Essendon's "history" makes me wary though (esp. being a Bombers supporter). Will have to work out a back up plan I reckon.

• Kenny Powers says:

Will Wingard actually get that much more attention this season? By the middle of last year he was being spruiked as an All Australian and I'm sure he was heavily studied by the opposition as a result of that form. What happened last year in Port games was that their untagged play-makers/runners regularly got off the leash in such a way that the other team's tagger would have to be moved onto them which obviously freed up the previously tagged player. With that in mind, I'm not convinced he will get tagged out of too many games.

4. Harrison says:

Thought's Lobbe is he still worth being R1
    My team:

Apeness is my cover if Sandi gets injured or makes enough cash for upgrade to ???,.

Zorko, Dahlhaus, and Darling could go either Mitchell/Parker?Franklin/Gunston?Bruest who knows

Will bring Pendles in after R8 by upgrading 2 rooks to him + rookie

My main goal would be to bring in Pendle, GAJ, Minson and Martin in around the byes

Stacked my DEF/FWD with Prems/Midpricers
    Rucks Lobbe Sandi 80% sure it will work
    MIDS 4 rookies means 6 cash generators in the mid, also GAJ Fyfe Cotchin Murphy Thomas and Beams are all locks

To look at after nab cub games
    Shuey???
    Dal Santo???
    Libba???
    T. Mitchell???
    P. Ryder???

How could I manage picking up players like: PENDLES, Minson, Franklin, Ryder, Libba, Dal Santo, DELEDIO throughout the season??

Hope they drop in price: Pendlebury, Deledio, Minson, Hanely, and Libba

My team consists of 13 rookies, 9 Premiums, 8 Midpricers.

DEF: Hanley Mitchell, Grimes Enright, C, Suckling, McDonald. L, Langford, Georgiou. A, Clurey

MID:
    Ablett, G, T, Cotchin, Murphy M, Beams,Thomas Polec,J , Crouch, M,. Fyfe Dunstan, L, Ellis, X

Rucks
    Hickey, Sandi, Thurlow, F, Derickx

Forwards
    Dangerfield, Parker J,Dahlhaus. L, Darling, J, Zorko, D, Kennedy-Harris, J, Kersten, S,Apeness

Round 8:8
    Round 9:9
    Round 10:13

5. Philthy says:

I have L McDonald, G Rohan and now seemingly Polec in my side, too many 170-180k players? who should go? Like them for job security and consistent early points more than anything

• Rocksta says:

I have all three myself.
      I don't think any of them should go

• PJ8 says:

I have all 3 as well. Don't think it's too many players in that bracket Philthy.

Last year or any other year I would of said yes, but this year with the new pricing structure things have changed. This is the first year of this new structure and we won't know what the best SC tactic is until later in the year.

I wouldn't worry mate

• Grufflez says:

Nah, i'll be looking at a few 150-180k rookies 4/5/6 and then a few 117-123k ones myself im just staying away from a lot of these 200k-250k blokes…no mans land i reckon.

I don't like paying 175k for Rohan either but until a better option comes along it will have to do.
      Its all about Job Security mate if i have to pay a touch more for it i don't mind.

• Philthy says:

Thanks guys, geez our sides are looking different this year!!

My midfield might have GAJ and then 5 X 480-550k, daisy, polec and 2 rooks.

Banking on a couple of the guys like Beams, Priddis, Shuey, Murphy, Dal, Prestia, Hanley, Dusty, Bennell etc. being potential keepers for the year without need for upgrading.

Think i'll be spreading my cash across most lines

DEF 2.5M, MID 3.5M, R 1M, FWD 3M

• Kev says:

I'm iffy on rohan personally. His price rise will be a slow burn as he doesn't get much of it

6. Guest says:

Super Coach on crack or regarding Clurey's score?

100% d/e + 11 marks. add 12 kicks and it shouldn't add up to 70 lol's

• theazzyg says:

But were they junk time kicks across half back?

• PJ8 says:

I did see that as well but that's the beauty of Super coach and why we love it. If Champion Data don't think the output of a player during the game influenced the result of that game, you don't get points.

So he may of got a lot of those disposals and marks in junk time when the game was over or his kicks where backwards etc.

Also he only had one contested disposal they may of had something to do with it as well.

7. MarcuJ says:

i have impey in my squad but 4 possies for half a game? ?
    im struggling for rookie forwards atm
    no one is getting game time or playing well

• PJ8 says:

I think we all are. Will just have to wait and see Rd1 teams. If Impey or any rookie is struggling to get game time in a NAB game, they are pretty much no hope in the H&A season.

• MarcuJ says:

am i correct in saying honeychurch hasn't had a run yet? (i haven't seen him)

• Sarah says:

Yeah, he hasn't played yet. hoping he does tonight.

• PJ8 says:

I hope so Sarah. We need him to play well and get a Rd1 game. He is in the squad of 29 but 3 of those will still not play. No sign of Fuller either.

• Sarah says:

Not so sure about that. I count a few potential forward rookies: Merrett, Lloyd, JKH, McDonough, McCarthy (Cats)… it's the backline that's overly thin for rookies.
              We need Fuller more than Honeychurch.

• PJ8 says:

Just saw that JHK is not the the Dee's squad for the NAB game on Friday.

• Sarah says:

Saw that. Bit annoying but he did play NAB 1 and their intra-club practice match. I still think he'll be named Round 1. On a good note, Georgiou was named!

• SCaddict says:

Reckon the Melbourne members would burn down the G if he doesn't play in the opening rounds.

Very likely he's just being managed in preparation for a huge season.

• MarcuJ says:

yeah i just saw that. plus side is there is prob a spot in cats fwd line with vardy going down. also H Mac is getting a run which is good

8. MarcuJ says:

my D6 and F6 position is doing my head in currently.
    hopefully a rookie will burst through in the last few games and give us some confidence
    im hoping kennedy harris is that man lol

• PJ8 says:

D6? McDonald? Or do you have him at D5?

JKH is the man currently for F6 hope that doesn't change cause there is not a lot of other options at the moment.

• MarcuJ says:

yeah d5 lol

• PJ8 says:

Depending how the DEF rookies go you might need to re-structure your DEF and make him D6. Another mid-price player like R. Shaw

• MarcuJ says:

i am one of those weird people that don't have suckling, so if i need to re structure then he is my mid price fall back option

• Grufflez says:

Mate i'm not sold on Suckling either but he is a better option than Shaw,don't know about Darley yet either and Docherty is injured…so i don't see any better options around 250-325k for D5.
              Kinda like Rohan atm filling a void.

• Rhubarb_Ronin says:

Been seriously looking at Yeo over Suckling. Liked a lot of his season last year and think he’ll improve with the Eagles. Less risk of breaking down but less likely to score in the same range – happy to roll the dice for now and review my structures once Rd1 hits.

9. Cameron says:

Are there actually DEF Rookies this year? Who's actually inline to play?

10. PJ8 says:

McDonald, K. Kolod, Cutler, Langdon, Fuller, Clurey, Langford, Georgiou, J. Tippet, Cameron have all been mentioned throughout pre-season to play. Wait to see Rd1

• Tom says:

Ruc- Lobbe,Sandilands
    Ruc Bench-Nankervis, Thurlow

12. Tom says:

$155,800 remaining

• Philthy says:

Everitt?

That back line will give you serious heartburn Tom, use your cash left and turn Everitt into a Hurn or McKenzie, it means you have to put faith in Sandi but so will most others

• Tom says:

yeah put mckenzie in, what do u think about Ellis to Polec or just leave it?

• Philthy says:

Ellis will break down for sure, not sure either will be used much but Polec has age on his side in a young team so i'd be going Polec

• Tom says:

if not them should i go down to a cheaper rookie who will get some game time
            , suggestions?

• Philthy says:

Not necessarily mate, As sure as Wayno getting blind this Friday night a cheaper rook will pop up in Rd1 teams and either Ellis or Polec will get a vest if you pick them! your decision will be made for you in about 16 days time!! Hold fire!!

• Tom says:

Will do!! What do think of Kolodjashnij in the back line hasent played a game yet and think of pulling the trigger, thought mabey Tom Clurey or another to fill, thoughts?

13. McClungeMagnet says:

Great Worksheet from the Barron. Still not sure who I'll pick out of Polec and Ellis.
    Both around 170k who will rise the most in price?
    Love to hear everyone's thoughts

14. WinningSCTeam says:

Team at the moment: $39,700 left over.
    DEF – Mitchell, Simpson, Swallow, Suckling, R Shaw, L McDonald (T Clurey?, T Langdon?)
    MID – Ablett, Watson, Cotchin, D Beams, D Thomas, Polec, D Sheed, Ellis, (Michie?, M Crouch?
    RUC – H Mac, Sandilands, (Dericks?, Thurlow?)
    FOR – Dangerfield, Wingard, Mitchell, Gray, Pavlich, Porplyzia (L Taylor?, JKH)

• Kev says:

Question mark for me over hmac. Will be managed over the course of the year. Coupled with Sandi and you could be heading for a world of pain there.

• judd0 says:

Agree with Kev, could be a great POD but is a massive huge quantum risk. If you have big balls go for it.

• Philthy says:

I can't see how the risk has overall helped your team, lots of risk on all lines, looks like way too many future trades, ask yourself how many you see being in your team at year end

15. Tim says:

Dools, throttle finger, jimbotraralgon, scaddict, John bruyen to all you supercoach legends if you guys have a spare league I would enjoy having you company in my league :) if anyone else wants to come into this too they are welcome.
    Cheers.

16. Tim says:

Cheers.
    504402

17. judd0 says:

Watson didn't even look like he was trying and had a few clangers and still knocked up 94 points.

18. Jacko says:

If you had to pick one.. Would you choose Lobbe or Ryder?

19. WinningSCTeam says:

after last night Ryder all day long.

20. rollingthunder says:

I dont wanna use young lads language like Wayno but geeeees……….. sandi- that mutha fuc#er is a lock!!!!!!!

• Derek says:

I’m upset sandi and Pav played so well tonight. They have been in my team from the start, now more people will be climbing onto the bandwagon

21. SCannonymous says:

I've had Lobbe in as R1 for a while, but I'm a bit concerned that Renouf might be part of Port's plans for two ruckman. They played a half each with similar possessions and 18 and 16 hit outs respectively. Any thoughts?

• PJ8 says:

I have been having the same concern regarding Lobbe. I want my R1 to be a sole ruckman for there team and play 80%+ game time in the ruck. Looking at last year, Port did this with Lobbe and he scored well therefore me selecting Lobbe pretty early this pre-season. But after the NAB games I am too worried about Renouf playing as well.

I don't think Port will play 2 ruck's (more hopeful). All teams have been playing 2 ruck's in NAB. Even WB and North. Campbell has been helping Minson and Currie helping Goldstein.

• Derek says:

Renouf was a premiership ruckman at hawks in 2008. He is good.

• Grufflez says:

lol nah they give game time to blokes who won't see any during the season..like D.Curry last year….disregard NAB

• I've read it as they DON'T want to have to play Renouf in the actual H&A season, so why risk an injury to Lobbe during the NAB Cup? Redden is out with an LTI, and if Lobbe goes down in a nothing game then that's a big blow.

• WombatsFC says:

IMO they were seeing if Renouf was the best option in case lobbe breakdown and redden not recover, i.e. was he still up to it or should we find someone else.

I reckon he'll be managed in SANFL to ensure that he's ready to fill a spot whenever required, either to give Lobbe a rest or to enable Lobbe to counter another mobile ruckman/midfielder. Lobbe has NicNat potential.