Carlton V North Melbourne NAB Challenge fantasy review

Filed in Carlton, NAB Cup Analysis, North Melbourne, Supercoach, Supercoach 2014 by on February 15, 2014 • views: 14350

Jock Reynolds - The Father of Fantasy

Fantastic arvo catching up with old mates from Ballarat at the footy. Bloody great day.

And plenty of fantasy relevance.

DOWNLOAD MY COMPLETED NAB SCHOOL WORK SHEET FROM TODAY’S GAME

(click here for my completed Melbourne v Richmond sheet from last night)

Here’s some of the bigger Supercoach & AFL Fantasy stories out of the afternoon:

• Lukey McDonald surprised me community. Has a bit more under the hood than when I last ran an eye over him. Had Menzel who had a bit of it early – but beat him for mine and ran off him. 20 odd disposals, clean and looks to have some real potential as a damaging type who could push up the ground. I’ll look at him again but this kid can play folks.
  • Dan Currie ($123,900) relieved Goldy in the ruck and went FWD. They looked for him up FWD as a target. Speaking to Andy Swallow round the boundary.. they DO want to go with a 2nd ruck this year to give Goldy a chop out and Currie is first in line. Didn’t do a great deal but I’m more convinced he’s in Scott’s plans as the #2 ruck
  • Ex dog and swan Andrejs Everit (CARL DEF $342K) was very good. Kicked 3 and played both FWD and back. Versatile… but a neither here nor there selection for me at this price.
  • Nick Dal Santo’s been in my team all preseason and is more firmly wedged in there after today. Looks as fit and hungry as I’ve seen him since his second season in the game. Plenty of it – played mid.. no half back business.
  • Tommy Bell (CARL $311K) had plenty of it and will get a bit of hype about him after this game. But one – his disposal was not clean enough to lay claim for any significant midfield time in the season proper – and remember Thomas, Carrazzo, Simpson, eventually Judd and even Garlett didn’t play and are ahead of him.
  • Young Cripps (CARL $157,300) can play the game. Didn’t have a great deal of game time but did some good things and is still on my watch list
  • I’m telling you Shaun Atley ($394,200) should be avoided. Will not get enough time in the guts in this North Melbourne midfield and played half back.
  • Jack bloody Ziebell. Fantastic. Should be more seriously considered as a MID option this season if today is any guide. Basted Chicken and Cuninglingus also good

What caught your eye?

Garlett, Dayle (MID) $117,300
    Taylor, Lewis (MID) $117,300

Any Thoughts?

• bill says:

get rid of enright

• mark o'donnell says:

to risky on enright and dixon and possibly gunston you have a risky team so i would make some changes and im not giving you bad advice i was top 20 overall last season just saying cheers mark :)

• KLo says:

Can you explain why you rate Enright as a risky proposition?
        Reading his SC stats since 2006 shows a picture of consistency:
        2006 22games 91SCpts, 2007/21/92, 2009/21/98, 2010/21/98, 2011/20/96, 2012/21/94, 2013/21/94.

• Jordan says:

I think Enright is a consistent player. Dixon and Gunston is worth a try i guess. Have to take risks to win. I finished top 200 last year.

• Ron says:

G'day Jordan,

This page is about the discussing the Carlton – North Melbourne trial game. There is another page for posting your team.

Cheers mate

• phil fraser says:

would get rid of gunston for a start then minson and enright for some better players the your team would be very very nice but honestly those three get rid of em right now!

• patrick nimmo says:

enright will not be as consistent as old age departure of senior players especially the senior players from the backline and the new game style chris scott wants to bring in i can't really see the role be as effective as previous years and on the back of not having a full preason there are some good reasons to go some one like pearce hanley or hibberd or someone like more expensive or a breakout player even and that injury cloud could be a concern

• kyle fish says:

jack gunston would not lock to inconsistent will get more defenders and attention now that buddy is gone stear clear jordan

• kaleb thompson says:

seeing as everyone is getting into it and saying that minson enright and gunston are bad picks i must say they are risky and i would not be getting them i would not go them and i was ranked 26th over all last year

• nik biazos says:

these guys are right jordan minson had one good year and the will be playing more tall this year the dogs like they use to which means that minson will not score as good and enright old age injury game plans and etc. will effect him also the point someone before made about gunston absolutely spot on get rid of all three if you want to win!

• connor kell says:

josh caddy absolute lock mate more midfield time keep him mate same with sandilands has been a good scorer over the years and to cheap to pass up on and zorko and dixon keep em in son

• casey bird says:

yer legend bro flappy birds casey hahaha i make no sense hahah yer man kick boots bailey yer cameron legend bro

2. SCaddict says:

Bit of a bummer that Daisy is sitting this one out as he recovers from a chest infection.

Was looking forward to seeing him have a run around out there but we'll have to wait for NAB 2 now.

Still plenty of fantasy relevant players to get a good look at today as per Higgo's research sheet.

• NutSack says:

Hey Scadd- Ima blues supporter and wonder to myself- is it really a chest infection or is it still his ankle? hmmmm I am very suspicious it is still his ankle!

• SCaddict says:

I'm willing to give Mick the benefit of the doubt at this point and he reckons he was all right to play but for this chest complaint.

But if he doesn't front up for NAB 2 then things will smell a little fishy.

Not a major drama from a SC POV if he doesn't play Rd1 as there are plenty of other options out there. Though for your Blues sake I hope he's over the ankle. Time will tell.

• throttlefinger says:

Agree. Bought the excuse. A little to much selling on the "wanted to play and we made the decision for him" but will accept.

Like you said, NAB 1 so not worth if he's not 100%. Got some good looks at both sides, more Roos than Blues stood out on my watch list. Their mids…wow. Pick and win it seems.

• Grant says:

its not his ankle, i heard it from him and malthouse the ankle is completely pain free. i dont see any reason for them to lie about it.

• @HeiroDAB says:

Maybe because they are risking something they shouldn't just so he could play a NAB Cup game? seems like a decent enough reason not to play him.

• Dee says:

Yes THROTTLEFINGER, a lot of ROOS players stood out I reckon especially in the midfield… Considering putting Ziebell or Dal Santo in my team now, what do you reckon? How about J. Watts? Anyone game enough to pick him in the back line lads? I reckon he'll have a breakout season under Paul Roos…. Could be a POD. Sticking him in the backline for now, hopefully he plays NAB 2, to get a better look at him….. Thanks Community!

3. Bricksavy says:

I think I'm most interested to see what majak does…….

4. Derek says:

Can someone tell me what a $220k player’s BE will be. If they score 3x 80 pts what would there price rise be? Assuming they continue to score 80 pts, how many weeks until they hit a BE of 80, ie max out

• NutSack says:

I usually double the first 2 numbers of their price initially to get a BE- so for a strting 220k he would need to avge 44 pts to BE. Once rolling avges begin I have no idea.

• Derek says:

I was trying to work out how long j Martin or other higher prices rookies will take to cash in compared to other years

• McClungeMagnet says:

Read Higgo's article on Jack Martin. "is He worth it". For every 100k more expensive a cash cow would need to deliver 20 more points is the general rule I go on.

• Owen says:

Not to pump up another rivals websites but too serious dot net has this covered in spades. If Jack Martin scores 80, 80, 80 then he will rise from 222,300 to 269,524. If he scores exactly 80 every week he will level out at roughly 400K. Check out the stat tab and then the salary calculator.

5. alex says:

which kangaroo midfielder is the best option for 2014??

• McClungeMagnet says:

Too hard to tell. It's a one in 5 chance of picking the big improver even if there is one. Dal Santo, Zeiball, Cunnington plus a few others. Personally think it's worth splashing more cash to get Cotchin, Fyfe or Rockcliff or saving some and getting murph and beams.

• throttlefinger says:

Agree with McClunge. Roos mids are like WCE mids. Attractive because you get the feeling they'll be SC gold this year YET more reliable options above and below.

If I were to pick one, I'd go Cunnington or Ziebell. Love Dal Santo but will cop #1 tag and pricer.

• @HeiroDAB says:

Ziebell has been on the rise last 3 years. I reckon this year will be his best season to date & he will be prolific, seems more hoggish than the other 2 also. Dal santo is a known good thing, and cunnington has the potential to rise and be a POD, but could also, as has been stated, share alot of the SC points and range 85 – 105, with the odd 120+

6. @PeterHiggo says:

More interested in Bell than Daisy so not too disappointed that he is not playing. Think Bell could gain more mid time and play a stepping stone role in my midfield.

• SCaddict says:

Yeah he looked pretty good today.

Hard at the contest and was able to do some nice things when he got the footy and put some great pressure on when he didn't.

• SCannonymous says:

Hi Higgo – love your work.
      I understand Jock is not sold on his JS, but I see Carlton as needing his size and aggression in the midfield. Even with Daisy's arrival I believe he is a regular this year. Played well at the end of the VFL season and if not for some niggling injuries would have played more senior footy. I reckon he will get his chances even after Judd returns in 8 weeks. The only question marks are his price compared to other options and his SC scoring efficiency. But he is still on my watch list and has been since the end of last year. Today I will be watching M.Wright closely as a sneaky forward option (if he gets the midfield time I think he might – hopefully not as a tagger). Could be the poor man's Zorko or Gray.

7. McClungeMagnet says:

Can I ask to to the community how they intend to use Dale Thomas if at all in their supercoach team?
    ie.) a keeper or a Cashcow
    And also what is the minimum output you need from him to keep a spot in your team?
    Ie.)95 ave, 100 ave, 105ave

I'd personally would not really want anyone in my mid by the end of the year averaging less than 105 but am planing to use him as a keeper even if he only averages 100 as a minimum.

• SCaddict says:

Depends how well he goes and whether that body holds up but more than likely he will be an upgrade path to a Pendles, Swan or Selwood by Rd9.

• Grufflez says:

Won't be a keeper as i require 110 + from my mids but id be happy with a 95-105 ave cash cow.

• Grant says:

He is in my side. I will use him as either a keeper if he is playing well enough or i'll use him as a trade up point to bring in a pendlebury type after rnd 8. I have no doubt at all he will be well worth it at that price. The rookies this year just arent strong enough to go full premium/ rookies.

• throttlefinger says:

Back and forth on Daisy, McClunge. Right now can't see reason to have him and J. Martin in there. Giving up spot to underpricers Beams or Smurph. Or someone looking like ready for a breakout season, like Ziebell.

But at his price, it's a bit like Suckling. May see how they do R1-2 then slot in as a corrective. With the severity of their injuries, getting back to game speed and form will take at least a couple rounds.

• McClungeMagnet says:

I've pretty much wiped Suckling off my radar. Think it will be a POD not having him. I doubt he will average much more than 80 which means he is not going to be a keeper and will only make 100k at best.
        Much rather spend a 150k more on someone who has a chance to be a keeper or 150k less on a rookie who will being me more money.

• throttlefinger says:

I'm pretty much guns and rooks, with the excepts being underpriced guns, Sandi and 1-2 $400-$450K mid pricers. Same logic. If you're going for cash generation, go with a strong rook. If you want the points, pay a little more and get someone who is underpriced.

8. Tom says:

Was curnow tagging Ziebell tonight?

9. McClungeMagnet says:

Currie: mature recruit. plays forward predominantly but goes to ruck to give Goldstein a break (interchange cap). Good contested marking option which kanga's players kicked to time an time again.
    Tippet: mature recruit .calm under pressure. Nice kick, was on casbolt and Waite who were quiet. Does the little things well
    McDonald: looks good racks up lots of possies, lots of handball receives, his opponent in Menzel kicked a couple but didn't do much else. Slotted into line up nicely, will be a lock if he does it again especially now k kol didn't get a gig.

• throttlefinger says:

Spot on, MCM. Those three definite strong final position or bench considerations. Think Currie will be worth a punt if Roos do go 2 ruck? Thurlow may get more time in short run but Currie probably more PT over the season.

10. @Fr3akMe says:

I really liked the look of buckley ? any chance of him getting a start off half back?

11. Matt says:

Oh cmon Jock, "renew RedTube subscription"? Expected better hahahahhahahahahhahaha

12. motta! says:

im thinking everyone has basically generic teams so POD's are crucial cause if everyone has basically the same team than the majority could be in trouble early if things dont go according to plan!!!!!

13. Grant says:

Where was Kade Simpson today?

14. Give It A Go says:

Hi Community

Scooter or Cotchin??

• throttlefinger says:

Looking at the numbers, Cotch in a runaway, GIAG.

YET, I've been considering Scooter, given WCE's draw and seems ready to do some damage under Simpson.

What keeps me going to Cotch is that he starts strong…last year was #7 SC average Rd1-8. (117/game). Brain says Cotch but gut is pulling me towards Scooter.

• McClungeMagnet says:

Richmond have a pretty easy draw too, it's just spread out more over the course if the year. Play St. Kilda and GWS twice but also Sydney and essendon.

• Give It A Go says:

Thanks TF

Same here,
        I'll have to check out the rest of the NAB games, that should give me a conclusion on who to pick, whats your thought on Watson?

Cheers

15. Rangtastic says:

I think Currie will struggle to get a game. Didn’t impress yesterday, Scotty loves Magic and with Goldstein a proven workhorse, Scott will play muscles as the third tall, pitch hitting in the ruck. Dropping Tarrant as he is over rated. This is is more my hope/wish than fact.

16. Wattsie says:

I was impressed with Ziebell, I know it's Nab cup but his effort and hunting of the footy was excellent. I was thinking on going with him rather than Murphy. What does the community think?

17. Wattsie says:

He did look good late in the game, but yes another NAB game would be a good indicator. Hopefully the altitude training has done him some good. The only worry is that North have the round 8 bye. My strategy is to upgrade Martin by round 8 to premium by then. Thanks for the feedback.

18. WombatsFC says:

Murphy turned up at the family today with his knee in a brace!

• jockreynolds says:

Fair dinkum??? What;s the news?

• WombatsFC says:

Dunno Jock. A mate took his Daughter to the 'Pre-family day meet & greet' ($50 and limited to 300 persons for an hour) This Bloke is Murphy big fan and he texted me to tell me that Murphmellow turned up in a knee brace. Reckons it "wasn't a Big Chunky Reco brace" but definately a brace. He did seem to be a bit stand-offish against the Roos in second half so there might be something in it.

• WombatsFC says:

If it's true I'll be seriously considering Carrazzo for a spot in the middle. With Daisy's ankle infection progressing to his chest, no Judd and a tentative Murphy I reckon the VC will be given a more offensive role in the middle. When I consider that he racked up regular 100's and 90's as a tagger I wonder how good he good be if his primary focus was getting the ball rather than stopping his opponent.

• Jono says:

I was juggling between Murphy or Ziebell as my M4. If that is true? Then Ziebell it is.

19. McClungeMagnet says:

Bradley McKenzie 25

Ben Jacobs 24

Dennis Armfield 17

Taylor Hine 17

• WombatsFC says:

Thanks McMagnet.
      I hope Malthouse likes Jimmy Buckleys boy, cos I reckon he could go a long way towards filling the gap left by eddie

20. Emma says:

Jock the issue with the north mids is they have the round 8 bye. I would love to include them but will have to many mids out in round 8 :(

• Derek says:

I know it is a long way to go, but NORTH have a very nice run during the Supercoach Finals.

GWS, DOGS, ADE, MELB.

21. Matty says:

Hey fellas
    Is lachie hansen worth a look at for a POD or am I going to get burnt?

22. Deano says:

Every ones team looks the bloody same now that we have a new pricing system on the rookies. POD are bloody crucial this year!

23. Pieman1978 says:

Jock dont forget to renew your Redtube subscription

24. taylorwoof says:

Superb homework Jock!

25. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates.
    I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and
    was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
    Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new
    updates.

Here is my website; fashion watches for women