2014 Supercoach & AFL Fantasy preseason #1

Filed in Supercoach, Supercoach 2014, Weekly Podcast by on November 24, 2013 • views: 2311

2014 preseason podcast #1

What a pleasure it is to be back to tackle Supercoach and AFL Season 2014 with Crouching and Higgo.

NOW is the time to begin your research and to form a solid foundation of thought before you attack the upcoming season. Many of your rivals haven’t starting thinking about their team yet. And that’s why you’ll leave many of your rivals in the wake of your dust next season mark my words.

We tackle some of the big preseason issues in this our first episode of the 2014 season:

• Some of the traded players and their fantasy relevance
  • The draft picks – and which ones Crouching likes for season 2014
  • Listener questions
  • Wayno’s new preseason segment.

Look forward to joining you in the discussion below – it’s great to be back.

1. funnymanjim says:

now i can go to bed knowing i have listened to the great voice of sir. reynolds.

2. @MRB37 says:

Great to have the team back guys, fantastic effort as always.

I have to agree with Higgo that it might be a mistake to grab Matt "BoB" Crouch from the Crows. From what I've read he's never completed a full pre-season of football due to cricket commitments and one issue many highlighted on him was his current lack of endurance.
    "Running. Crouch isn't quick, and nor does he have a strong aerobic base. At this month's combine he ran a 13.7 beep test, and wasn't spectacular in the 20m sprints either. It is a question mark for recruiters given the demands at the top level. But here's the conundrum with Crouch: even though he isn't a terrific runner, he gets so much of the ball, every week and against any opposition."
    "An interesting case because he is the best at what he's good at, but needs to work hard at his weaknesses. Build up his engine and he is ready to go."

Him being slow isn't a huge issue for an inside mid, it's the same reason Mitch Grigg slid a few years ago and he showed that it doesn't completely matter if you're slow if you possess the footy smarts and skills to make the correct decisions and create space for yourself. Crows possess a bunch of inside playing mids like Dangerfield, Thompson, Crouch, Grigg, Kerridge, Lyons and VB. I think Thompson may have maybe 1 more quality year in him, which is why they've drafted Crouch as his replacement. I think they'll leave young Brother of Brad in the SANFL reserves side most of the year and say "Run your guts out son, build up your endurance levels, work on your disposal a bit and we'll take a look at you next year."

As for other draftees, I really like Scharenberg and Aish. I will likely have both of them locked in at this point. Will Jack Billings play for the Saints? Lost Nicky Dal, but added the exciting Shave Savage and have an aging Lenny Hayes and Montana as the backup for Jack Stevens. Might be a chance for some games? Also look at Luke Dunstan for the same reason i'd think. I'm also intrigued by Matt Fuller who was drafted at #42 by the Western Bulldogs as a mature age 23 year old. Norwood has produced other mature ages such as Paul Puopolo, Nick Duigan and Nick Lower. Terrific left boot on him and he won't have the U18 issues Higgo mentioned. Goodes was an awesome selection last year, maybe the Bulldogs can strike SC gold for us twice.

Now my question for Jock and the community is about the draft, but it's not about the 2013 draft. With everyone looking for gold in this years draft, I'm asking who are we looking at in the 2011 and 2012 drafts who may have not played many/any games yet and good be cheap pickups. Higgo made the point about the youngsters taking time to develop, so there may be a few kids who've spent their time in Crouchings gym and are now ready to go out and mix it up with the bigboys in SC this year. #2 pick last year Jonathan O'Rourke? Joe Daniher only played 5 games and averaged 50, so should still be cheap. Troy Menzel from Carlton played 7 games for a SC average of 43, but could get some more gametime with the Blues letting Betts go. Brodie Grundy averaged 74 in his 7 games and could be a great mid priced starting ruck option. Then you also have the new Sainter Billy Longer from the 2011 draft who's only played 9 games. Could be a nice mid priced ruck tandem with Grundy.

Once again, it's great to have the team back Jock, Higgo, Crouching and Wayno. Looking forward to the upcoming SC year for sure now you guys are back!

• Wombat says:

Reminds of another bloke that the blues thought was was "too slow & not fit enough". They passed on him and he got a B.O.G in his first game for the cats, a few years later he won a Brownlow at the Swans, and then another Brownlow when he finally ended up at the Blues. He would have had a third Brownlow if he wasn't rubbed out for 6-weeks due to the Swans salary cap breaches, and possibly a record fourth brownlow if a possession every 2.5 minutes was considered worthy of a vote.
      Sadly, our great Australian game is no longer a game for the pure footballer; Andrews game is a low contact game for athletes where women have equal potential to men.

• jockreynolds says:

My B – it gives me a great deal of satisfaction and encouragement to see your contribution to our community. Thank you so much for answering the call of the community mate. It really is very much appreciated.

I hope that more of your Greg Williams type kids get through the current system more and more as time ticks away. I reckon recruiters will learn overtime that there is no substitute for a genuine FOOTBALLER. The current system with its bloody beep tests and vertical jumps and hypobarra chambers… hell. If youre not a freak athelete your frowned upon.

Finding the pill is a fine art. Knowing where to run. Efficiency of effort. Reading the play. Thinking through a game. I hope we see more kids like your Crouches come through the system.

• Marc says:

Thanks for the kind words Jock, I appreciate it!

Wombat and Jock, you're both right. I don't like to question those in the football community employed by clubs, but I cannot understand how some teams completely overlook genuine footy skills in favor of beep tests and such as you mentioned Jock. Matt Crouch has been compared to Matt Priddis, one of the most consistent midfielders in the game. I reckon if you got that sort of quality out of pick #23, you'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

Someone else also mentioned to me that the Crows may have lucked out somewhat this year due to several teams like GWS, Collingwood, Brisbans and St. Kilda having multiple selections in the top 25 which meant they may have gone for a needs based player with their 2nd or 3rd picks, rather than just taking the best guy on the board.

3. Neil says:

Great to have you guys back, concerned however that the Crouching One and Higgo were not very respectful to our great leader this Episode – Thoughts Jock

• jockreynolds says:

No it's fine mate. You see when you've been around this caper as long as I have you need people around you who'll keep you honest mate. Theres a real danger that – being shall we say – "uber elite" in the fantasy game that I may just lull into a false sense of invincibility.

Crouch and Higg keep me real Neil. They keep me real. Neil.

• Neil says:

Good Stuff Mate – Interesting point in the Podcast about last years winners starting team (ie full rookie backline etc). Any chance there could be a link to that team on the Website

4. Suns Man says:

I can now sleep each night, with your amazing voice, JOCK <3

• jockreynolds says:

Thank you Suns.. some choose to label mine the voice of a generation. I don't buy into that rot – I'll let other be the judge of that mate. Great to have you back.

5. throttlefinger says:

Ah, the gang is back. And in fine form I must say, Jocko. Higgo deserves a very large stout for his scheduling insights. The Crouching One left me in dismay about his Hampson comment…thankfully Higgo set him straight. Gave me the proper kick in the pants to get my line up in order. Big cheers for the early episode.

6. mclegend says:

Just a quick question. We had the rookie draft today and a few delisted players from other clubs have been picked up, realistically some could play seniors next year ie. maverick weller, banfied, matt thomas etc. will their price be that of a rookie drafted player or calculated from their scores last year?
    Cheers

7. jimbotraralgon says:

Hi guys.

Great to see you back on board and straight into top form.

Higgo provided a word of warning about being too dependant on national draft rookies (18 year olds) and that we should maybe focus on the more mature aged rookies that were going to be made available in the rookie draft.

Fully agree Higgo but looking at the selections I'm not really seeing that much this year compared to last? The Brett Goodes and Dwyers arent as obvious this time.

Anyone want to start calling some potential mature agers out?

Just throwing it out there, this year it might be better to go for the player that has been in the system for a year or two and pay a little more…..aka Jackson Paine, Jared Polec, Viv Michie, kersten…..even Bock?

Thoughts?

8. Alastair says:

Hey Jock,

when will we know prices and positions for 2014…keen to get cracking?

9. skulldonkey says:

Was surprised that Josh Scott didn't get drafted, winning the Morrish and the goal kicking seems like a decent effort…also mid year was being touted as a top 20 draft pick… what happened?

10. G'Day Jock, Dylan from Twitter here. Just wondering what you think of the following as a lineup for the start of 2014. I used the Fanplanner on FanFooty. As a 4th/5th year player of Supercoach, this year seems to be one of the hardest to balance my Premiums and Rookies and it seems more tempting to go for the likes of turncoats such as Tyson and Paine as opposed to the newer, younger rookies.

B: Bartel McVeigh S.Mitchell Gibbs Bock Scharenberg (Allir, J.Kolodjashnij)

MID: Ablett Pendlebury Dangerfield Goddard Tyson C.Beams J.Martin L.McDonald (M.Crouch, L.Taylor)

RUC: Goldstein Grundy (Nankervis, McBean)

FWD: Rockliff N.Riewoldt Harvey Naitanui Michie Hogan (Kersten, Paine)

Any constructive criticisms or opinion would be appreciated. :D

11. tension says:

In the spirit of extraordinarily early preparation, and in the absence of Jock's planner, I have had a go on fanplanner;

Rough draft, feedback welcome.

B: Jimmy Bartel, Scott D. Thompson, Trent McKenzie, Lachie Henderson, Matt Suckling, Jeremy Laidler
    [i] Matthew Fuller, Jake Kolodjashnij [/i]

M: Gary Ablett jnr, Trent Cotchin, Jaeger O'Meara, Jack Grimes, Oliver Wines, Marcus Bontempelli, Brandon Jack, James Aish
    [i] Josh Simpson, Mitch Honeychurch [/i]

R: Mike Pyke, Aaron Sandilands
    [i] Shaun Hampson, Liam McBean [/i]

F: Chad Wingard, Nic Naitanui, Michael Walters, Curtly Hampton, Jonathon Patton, Stewart Crameri
    [i] Jesse Hogan, Shane Kersten [/i]

I've gone for a couple of turncoats who have sought pastures new.

12. tension says:

@Red_and_Blue26 Early days but like it mate. Had Boomer last year and he was outstanding. I am fed up with Gibbs, so dropping him this year. Any other Dees apart from young Hogan?

13. jarrad says:

Great to hear your fantastic voices again. Its sad but i get depressed in the pre-season, not enough to keep my occupied seeing we suck balls in the cricket these days.

14. Rhino says:

Teams sound good, apart from nic nat as he is only ruck this year, and rockliff only mid

15. Awesome issues here. I’m very happy to look your post.

Thanks a lot and I’m looking forward to touch you. Will you
    please drop me a e-mail?

16. What’s up to all, howw is the wwhole thing, I thinhk every one iss getting more from this wweb page, and your views aree fastidiojs in support of new users.

Alsoo visit myy site: buy youtube subscribers review

17. mcat 2015 says:

Howdy! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I’d figured I’d ask.

Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest
    writing a blog article or vice-versa? My website goes over a
    lot of the same topics as yours and I believe we could greatly benefit from each other.
    If you happen to be interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail.

I look forward to hearing from you! Fantastic blog by the way!

For the best solution please checkout this amazing site :: mcat 2015