Huge Captain Dillemma – POLL

Filed in AFL Supercoach poll, Supercoach by on August 21, 2013 • views: 770

Gary Ablett has made the decision around who to select as your captain pretty bloody easy in recent times.

We’ve been spoilt. We’ve gone soft around the guts in regard to this part of the great game. And now the great man seems to be staggering in the arse end of this season and suddenly… out of the blue… at the pointy end of the season… many of us are in unfamiliar ground.

If we can’t rely on Gary anymore.. what do we do? Who can we turn to in faith that they’ll smack out a solid 120+ on the weekend? Has Gary just had a temporary dose of the staggers.. can we keep the “C” locked in on him or is it time to consider someone else?

As we have seen in recent weeks Captain choice (and ability to manage the loophole) is a critical game play factor in the run home….

What do you reckon…

You have to whack the C on one man... who would it be this weekend?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

1. TC says:

Patty D will go large!!!

• jockreynolds says:

Sure to dine out on Melbourne. I'm still keen on the Little Master myself

• Mark says:

Could Gary maybe be carrying an injury Jock, I’m going Pendles into Selwood this week. But knowing my luck the week I don’t pick Ablett he will go massive. $350 up for grabs if I make into the finals.

• nick says:

be careful mate as he'll get the jordie mckenzie tag and we all saw what he did to ablett…….fair or foul!!!

2. bout7 says:

I'm liking the look of Tambling this weekend. Hard to go past the fact he's playing Melbourne.
    HOWEVER, very reluctantly and only because of his form I think I'm going to have to go J Selwood.

• jockreynolds says:

Yes Tambling has potential to deliver a score of monolithic proportions this weekend – no doubts there. Wonder if he'll just take the foot off the pedal though V Melbourne…

• bout7 says:

Yea that could be an issue. I was more worried about him being rested though. Since Adelaide aren't really contending for a finals spot any more there's always the possibility they might rest their superstars for the easy games…

• jockreynolds says:

Well there's another issue and a valid consideration. I'll counter that though by suggesting that Sanderson – while he will be keen to blood some kids – will want Richard out there in some kind of mentoring/teaching/instructional capacity for the young ones. Like an on-field general

• bout7 says:

Yea I can definitely see what you're saying…
            I think I might just lock him in after all that. If he plays I reckon he's a safe 130 at least (By half time)

• Super_Freak says:

Reckon you are on to something there Jock. Lots of gun players have posted sub par scores against lower sides this season. Swan is a pretty safe bet. My smokie would be Rockliff, but I am a biased Brisbane man.

• FrontPocket says:

Richard 'Kramer' Tambling. He has been unlucky in missing out on playing 85% of this season. With the Crows standard midfield crew of Thomson, Sloane, Crouch, Dangerfield, Vince, and McKay there's obviously some kind of personal issue between Sando and Tambling as he'd be a walk-up start into anyone's midfield.

I particularly liked his first three possessions in one of his games. I think he fumbled the first two and gave it up to the opposition the third time. He did play a decent game after that though; by his standards.

Props to Jock for promoting healthy discussion by putting young Tambling on the list of potential Captains

3. Marty says:

I'd have to go Griffen, Pendles or Sellingwood

All in killer form, and should be able to produce solid scores for captaincy, especially in week 3 of finals

4. David says:

Barlow as VC

I also reckon everyone who has Joel Selwood has to put the VC on him.

The C should not be forgotten with Montagna.

• Super_Freak says:

Wish I had Selwood (took Deledio instead many months ago). He's been smashing it for a while now.

5. James says:

Jason Blake loophole with Richard tambling. Both of those boys will explode this week and smash out a 200, guaranteed.

6. James says:

Tommy is another great option Jock. He's average in the last 5 rounds is 127 sc points

7. blake says:

I’m personally chucking the vc on ayce cordy and put the c on Mr.reliable jimmy toumpas

8. CashCows says:

VC will def be going on either Pend or swan. Swan has been been my go to guy over the past few weeks, but i think scooter will get the job on him, so pendles i think, actually maybe swan

Could always have a roughie VC on Shallot werringham, coming up against the old side on the G…my smokie VC if you have him and are definitely sticking with Baldy and the big C

Danger could break some records.
    Maybe Martin or cotch as the big C against GWS?

endless possibilities

• Rocksta says:

The tag will go on Pendles.
      Swanny runs too hard to be tagged

• BestCoastEagles says:

We are blessed with option galore Cashcows. Nailing the right one is the hard part. People in a dogfight have to think outside the square. VC Dangerman loop to Selwood , Ablett for me. Best of luck this weekend Cashcows.

9. Remy says:

VC on Joel Selwood, and call me crazy but the C on Jack Steven over Ablett…. Good move?

10. Jake says:

I think too many people are overlooking jarryn geary,

11. jas says:

VC Gaz see how he is going a 3/4 time with GWS non player ready at the fore
    C on Giffen or Rocklobster if Gaz stinks up with another sub hundy.

If you VC those playing before Gaz you dont get the option to see how he is going.

12. Fabian says:

VC on cox v Collingwood. Capt Dusty. Don't think he will be please with his efforts against the blues. expecting him to feast on GWS.

13. Shaun says:

VC loophole with Swannie on Friday night….

14. medadsson says:

Relton Roberts anyone?

15. Rocksta says:

Captains choice is easy for me this week as I will have 1 doughnut to overcome as no trades left:
    Anybody my opponent doesn't have!
    He doesn't have Jelwood or JPK and as such either of those 2 will be my Captain. He won't be able to trade them in either as he has the same backline carnage as myself ( but 2 trades to use for it)
    I'm going to put the VC on Swanny in the hope that he puts it on Pendles.
    The SC gods have hit me that hard with injuries this week that it is try anything/everything time.

• BestCoastEagles says:

Feeling your pain Rocksta, i have just crawled out of my dark hole from last weeks carnage. Very lucky to still have trades in the sky rocket. To overcome your doughnut your VC loophole will be critical. Analise your opponent and push the envelope mate. Hope you manage to go big and pull of the Big V.
      All the Best Rocksta

16. Bob says:

St K wont bother tagging Ablett this week. They ahve put teh cue in the rack.

17. Steve J. as captain says:

STEVIE J.

He has not scored below 92 and his only other score below one hundred was 94!

18. Watto says:

8 out of the last ten matches selwood has gone 130+ the only score below 100 was against Crowley.
    Ablett only gone over 120 once in the past 7.
    Selwood has to be given at least the VC if you have him. In amazing form and scored 163 last time he met Sudney earlier in the year.

19. Glenn says:

Kieran Jack gets a look for mine, a small bump in the road last week might be just what he needs to fire up again in what’s been a very impressive year.

20. Watto says:

Selwood has reached the 130 in 8 of his last 10 games, with his only sub 100 score being Crowley and injury affected in the past ten.
    Ablett has only gone over 120 once in the past 7.
    Selwood has to be given the VC or a captain backup if Swanny or Pendles fails.

21. Watto says:

Ablett has only gone over 120 once in the past 7.
    Selwood has to be given the VC or a captain backup if Swanny or Pendles fails.

22. Tom says:

probably going to loophole with pendlebury and selwood but dont know if i should loophole selwood with either gazza or griff since their playing on sunday. But gazz and griff have quite bad weeks last week so not 100% sure.

• nick says:

tom go selwood he is kicking bags of goals at the moment and getting 30 plus postion and when he played Sydney he scored 145 back in round 4 2 goals and 31 pos always pick selwood now on he is on fire and also a brown low chance

23. nick says:

all you people are fools if you going pick abblett he is over rated and no good anymore for the c the big c should always go on joel selwood he is a big gun player and the last 4 weeks he has proven he is worth having the c on better then abblett guy is running out of steam and watch selwood this week and next week he will score 150 maybe 160 next week when they play brisbane

• BestCoastEagles says:

Over Rated Ablett ??? i must be missing something. Ablett has had a forgettable few weeks but the little General is the best footballer in the last 30 years. Selwood is a gun and he is crunching some big numbers but to dismiss the little General at your peril. I have gone VC Dangerman loop to Selwwod toss the coin Ablett. Best of luck this week Nick

24. ShinbonerSpirit says:

Nah, not Danger. McKenzie's tagged some big names since his return. But VC couldn't hurt.

25. Daniel says:

I voted Dane Swan but after I thought that the Freo Trio shouldn't be forgotten about as Kane Cornes can't tag them all.

26. Rick Grimes says:

Please footy gods, let Blayne Wilson or Jackson Thurlow (haha, yea right) get a game this weekend……

27. Mitcg says:

Jock, what about Chris mayne

28. BestCoastEagles says:

Dangerman VC loop to Selwood, Ablett for me. Best of luck this weekend community.

29. Skintip says:

WOW- cant believe people are going GAJ C… he is done for the year I reckon, Has scored his average score only twice in 9 weeks and is def sore and unmotivated. Still the best player in the league by far but so long GAJ- you are being traded out for Jelwood- and my POD- is not having GAJ!

30. BestCoastEagles says:

This is just a mere suggestion. If people are going to experience doughnuts on your team you have to think outside the square and push the envelope.
    I will cop flack over this but Lance Franklin VC loop could be a hail Mary pass of some sorts. He plays Kangaroos without Scott D Thompson & Grimes.
    Franklin has not had the season that many would expect but he is in only a handful of players that can go huge. When i say huge i mean 170+. Food for thought Buddy 13

31. BestCoastEagles says:

Mick the Mad Irishman has come out of the trenches and gives the community a great insight into your Captain choices. His post gives great reading and stats into all the front runners make sure you have a read.