POLL – BURNMAN… or a late season POD?

Filed in AFL Supercoach poll, Supercoach by on July 22, 2013 • views: 1251

3 burning Supercoach Dt questions.

The topic of this week’s poll is controversial.

The man in question instills feelings of nausea within most of us. If you are a bit squeamish you might be well advised to close this page now. I just mentioned this bloke’s name to the The Crouching One and he’s unleashed the most furious combination of fly kicks into the wheelie bin I’ve ever seen.

As fantasy footballers we need to face our fears head on. We need to push through pain and investigate every option as sick as it might make us. We talked about the merits of a “point of difference” this year in this week’s podcast (listen in here)- a year where many of us have the same type of team and it is for this reason that I’ll put this question out to the community.. one we didn’t discuss in the podcast…

Greg Broughton.

Still here? Try not be be angry and just focus now. He’s scored 127 and 96 in his last couple. He’s only $386,400 in Supercoach. They look as if they’ve found a nice role for him – he did well on Jamie Elliot on the weekend. And we all know that Gold Coast have an absolutely magnificent finals run (Melbourne, Port, St Kilda, GWS). He’s also got that DEF/FWD eligibility that matches up with Staker.

Is Greg Broughton a reasonable Supercoach POD option at $386,400?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

1. Rocksta says:

Imagine being in your leagues GF having to rely on the king of the burnmen as your D6/F6?
    My Plums are simply not big enough for that Jock!

2. Pieman1978 says:

I have his picture on my dart board

3. The Orginal Burn Man says:

Get me in!

4. Camo says:

Only for the most robust of plum coach i think!!!

5. Remy says:

Is Duff Man a valid trade in option for Goodesy?

• throttlefinger says:

Valid but not the best trade. R. Henderson and Ellis would probably give you a more consistent output.

• Remy says:

Okay, Thanks.
        I reckon I'll go Goodes to Ellis and Watson to Jack Steven….. Good trade?

• throttlefinger says:

Jack Steven has been a beast. Nice POD. Can he keep it going is the question. Hanneberry has been on fire. Save you some $. Another person on fire is Libratore. Has been 120+ last two games.

• Remy says:

I have Hannebery;) He's finally coming good!
            Even though he's had a great season anyway, but now he's really starting to pump out some big scores.

I like Libba, but I just see Jack Steven as the better option in my eyes. Who's in your midfield throttlefinger??

• throttlefinger says:

Gazza, Pendles, Swan, Griffen, JPK, Mundy, Deledio, O'Keefe (Mitchell and Couch). Not doing bad. But will have to pull extra weight with no trades and Goodes, Hanley and Bartel out. Uggggh.

• Remy says:

Ripping midfield you've got there.
                However, no trades! O boy!
                ATM I have only 3 trades……
                and this is what my midfield looks like…..
                Gary, Pendles, Swan, Selwood, Kennedy, J. Steven, Hannebery and Jac. Redden….

• throttlefinger says:

That''s a killer mid as well, Remy.

First year doing SC. Made a SHITLOAD of mistakes. Probably cost me making finals. But had a blast.

6. THESALTSHAKERS says:

You're clearly drunk Jock – no way, never again, do not be fooled

7. ShinbonerSpirit says:

I wouldn't touch him with a twenty foot pole.

8. Jack says:

Defense has been a total shambles this season. Grimes out injured, Dixon in .. yeah, that worked! Got one score .. held him but eventually succumbed and traded Birchall in .. got one week out of him too!! So brought Gibbs in 3 weeks ago only to be rewarded with scores of 59, 69 and 60 .. that's what I call getting BURNT MAN!! Malthouse might be trying to teach him something by making him a run-with tagger but coming into finals it scares me enough to stain the Reg Grundies!!!

• Rocksta says:

Agree Jack!
      If Mick persists with trying to convert him to a run with tagger, his scores will be low for the rest of the year.
      It took Scott Selwood a couple of years before he learnt to get his own ball whilst tagging, and Crowley is only starting to do it now after several years of tagging. Same with Daniel Jackson.
      Mick, please stop!

• Chippa says:

Jack, this is a carbon copy of my trades in the backline aswell. Burn Burn Burn.

• Jack says:

And now bloody Hanley is in the bungalow for a couple!!!!

9. You say me dis says:

BURNMAN!!

10. smittzzy says:

Griffen or Barlow? Taking into account Barlows soft run home? Need help!

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Purely scoring wise, Ryan Griffen. He's essentially Dangerfield all over again. Carrying a struggling team on his back. Turns it on against tough opposition. However, I'm a couple of grand short of Griff, so I'm 'settling' with the mercurial Barlow.

• Remy says:

If you are looking for a POD Shinboner IMO Jack Steven could be the difference…… Owned by 1.6% of Supercoachers……. Season highs of 161, 150, 133, 127, 126 and he's lowest score was only 79….. Averaging nearly 108.

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Yep, was seriously considering him when he was in his high 490s, a while back, but had other issues to worry about. Thanks mate.

• throttlefinger says:

Griffen for sure. Gave him up and regretted it ever since. Barlow has been playing less than stellar since returning from injury (and other key players returning).

• Super_Freak says:

Definately Griffen. Only 3 scores under 100 for the season. Ball Magnet. Pricey though

• Rocksta says:

if you go Barlow, his BE this week is over 140. Better thus to wait a week if you can. That said, not sure whom you are trading out and their respective BE situation.
      As most people have limited trades at this point of the year, the more cash you can retain the better.

• Sam says:

Going through the same decision, but with 5 of Griffen's last 6 games being at Etihad (plus a little Doggies bias) im going Griff

11. Jimbo says:

Had Broughton at the start of the year and held him till about round 8. Big mistake to get him in the first place. Although I got daisy in for Broughton to only play one game.

12. Super_Freak says:

Massive Burnman!

13. Duke says:

Goodes gone, 1 trade left, 900 bucks(terrible) in the bank. Thinking of swinging Staker back into defence, and bringing in Michael Walters from Freo into my forward line. Freo with the soft finals run. Thoughts?

Final team going into finals if I make that trade would be:

Defenders: Goddard, H Taylor, Shaw, Gibbs, McKenzie, Staker, Wright and Thurlow bench(struggling there)

Mid: Ablett, Pendles, Swan, Kennedy, Cotch, Priddis, Mundy, T Mitchell, B Kennedy and K Martin bench (again, strugging there on the bench)

Rucks: Roughy, Nicholls, Hannath and Naismith bench.

Forwards: Bartel, Cox, Kennedy, Cloke, Buddy, Brent Harvey, Michael Walters and J Daniher on the bench

Got some issues with my bench cover, but if my on field guys can perform, I'll hopefully be able to give finals a crack

• Dools says:

Young fella from Freo is a very valid SC choice I had him until enforced injury trade and I’m thinking of getting him back in to my side to replace Nic Nat

But with one trade left you are in the Hurt Locker mate. Wait until teams are named I think Thurlow will get another game for Geelong thus negating the need to trade Goodes out ….This week

• Duke says:

Cheers mate.

I don't see Thurlow getting a regular game, unfortunately. I'll see how he goes. If he doesn't get a game, I'll cop a zero on the bench, and I'm not sure I want to do that. Should make the 8 in 2 leagues, and on the fringe in another 2. Testing times. If all else fails, think I will go with Walters.
        Lack of trades is killing me. Wasteful trading at the beginning of the season after choosing my team last minute. Rookie mistake

14. Tim says:

What are yous going on about the kids a gun i have decided to bring him in for goodes so now i have Shaw,Mckenzie,Enright,Hanley,Heppell,Thompson

15. mathew says:

1 trade left and it looks like a goodes +20k trade meaning my options im considering are:
    h.taylor
    d.heppel
    hibberd
    l.henderson (dpp could come in handy with staker fwd and in great form although may be bias)

leaning toward either henderson or taylor
    who is the most likely to perform in the run home?

16. @MRB37 says:

Ricky Henderson might be a good POD to consider if you don't like the Burnman. Average of 113 over his last 4 with a huge 160 last week. Playing as the loose man in defense, looking very good in that roll. Still a reasonable price at 419K too.

17. Ross says:

Duff Man or Brandon Ellis?
    Who's a better pick?

• throttlefinger says:

Would go Ellis. Duff is coming back from injury and you never know how much he'll get given Lyon's D schemes. Ellis is playing better each week. Sure he'll hit a ton this round.

• Rocksta says:

Wait another week and go The Duffman.
      Just needs the match practice to get his fitness to the required standard. Remember, he is very much the running rebounding defender and thus fitness levels of the utmost importance.
      I reckon he will blitz come SC finals

18. Jimbo says:

Hey community, With the defenders SC points up and down this season is it worth changing anyone in my back line,
    I Have
    Heppell Goddard, Malceski, Harlett, Shaw and Gibbs and one trade left.

Any thoughts?

• Osh says:

I wouldn't change anything to that backline because you only have one trade left. It is better to just keep that trade up your sleeve for injuries or suspensions.

19. chink says:

go home jock you're drunk

• tension says:

settle down you flaming mongrel. that's the father of fantasy you are talking to. provocative questions is what this community is all about.

suns are in great form too – so it's a legitimate question.

20. Osh says:

Who should I start this week at M8: T.Mitchell or Jaeger? Have To do this because of suspension to Bartel.

• Rocksta says:

Start with Bartell on the ground and the 'E' on Jaegar.
      If Jaegar scores well, leave as is. If he doesn't, swap Bartell onto your bench and bring T.Mitchell on to the field before the start of the Geelong Game later on the Saturday. This is only possible because Geelong and Sydney play after GC.Its called 'The emergency loophole'.

21. Jason says:

4 trades left, still have Dangerfield.

Have $49k in the bank so I can straight swap him for pretty much anyone (already have Gablett and Pendles).

Should I trade for a Swan or Griffen this week? Other option is waiting a week for Beams as a POD, and to reassess how much longer Dman is out for

22. Skippa says:

give it another week to reassess Danger. Plenty more options may open up after that, look for a POD if danger doesnt get up for next week IMO

23. Tim darbyshire says:

Hi community need a Midfield POD to upgrade crouch has I have Mitchell and hunter. Money is not a problem

24. Joel says:

I had him at the start of the yearhim at the start of the year, you will regret it!

25. Skintip says:

So what to do now- B Goodes OUT with broken wrist. Pearce Hanley OUT with fractured hand- can the defence line get any worse?

26. The Wanderer says:

fortune favours the brave!!

27. Ben says:

Community, What to do with Hanley?

• Remy says:

if you have over 4 trades I reckon he has to go.
      The basics: Goddard, Heppel, Gibbs
      Make them your number one priority.
      Also have a look at B. Ellis, R. Henderson POD (FWD), L. Henderson POD (FWD) and Thompson from Nth.

28. JB says:

What to do with Hanley, B Goodes, Nic Nat, Shuey, K Martin, J Daniher and Zorko? thoughts …. 5 trades left

• throttlefinger says:

Hanley won't help you the rest of SC season. Might if you make it to finals. Goodes is out for certain. Both their values are solid and won't move so if you have coverage, you can wait. NicNat and Zorko…value train will probably be going down. NicNat more due to injury. Zorko, well, because he's Zorko, you could get a ton or a 75. Daniher might come in this week BUT he had two solid games and didn't make it back in. Makes you think he's not on Hird's mind too much. Martin may make it in during GWS (I have him as well. He's in my reserve's book of the month club). My suggestion: get rid of NicNat and either Hanley or Goodes. Hold Daniher and Martin. They should get some time. Shuey…pray he comes back into form.

29. James says:

Keep or trade Hanley? Used my trades this week so have 6 left for next week. Clisby will come on this week but should I trade Hanley next week?

• throttlefinger says:

Surgery on the hand…I'd say two weeks would be very optimistic. Even if he did make it back within two, he'd probably be wearing a soft cast from that point. His form certainly won't be up to the standards (or scores) we're use to. If you can trade him, I would. If you have decent coverage, throw him on reserves and roll the dice.

30. SharkBait says:

Thoughts on getting Corey Enright? he is one of the most consistent players in defense in my opinion and only 25k more than goodes.

Valued Pick?

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Yep, and as Jock likes to say, he has a very low standard 'derivation'. Consistent, and has already had his annual rest.

31. ShinbonerSpirit says:

Goodes -> Hanley has changed to Goodes -> Lachie Hendo (DPP with Staker). Pretty happy with that.

32. big fella says:

Time to pull the trigger…Goodes out, Staker to Defence…and in comes CYRIL RIOLI. You gotta risk it to get the biscuit, that's my motto

• Rocksta says:

I'd wait 1 more week on that if you can big fella just so Cyril can get another game under his belt.
      But much better to bring in Cyril than The Burnman King Greg Broughton

• Skintip says:

Just be prepared for when his hamstring pops in the next few weeks.

• Rocksta says:

Yea, thats why it's better to wait at least another week to see how he's progressing.

• big fella says:

Now I'm even more worried than when I traded him in, this only confirms my worst fears…maybe one more week wouldn't hurt.

• BestCoastEagles says:

Not bad having same thought on Rioli. Risky but the rewards are fantastic if the little big man fires. Waiting a week is not going to change a thing with his hammy as it can go POP anytime. On the other hand he might start to smack out 150's at will. Sometimes you just have to push the envelope i think.

33. shane says:

Fellas in need of some advice here. Defence in a shambles, it stands at the moment of: Goddard, Hanley, Hartlett, Shaw, Gibbs, Goodes. Goodes is a trade, but to who? I can swing staker and trade him to a FWD, in your opinions whose the best FWD option? I have Walker, Martin, Rockliff, Roughy, Buddy, and B staker onfield. Also trade Hanley? sorry for the onslaught of questions boys. If anyone can help massively appreciated. cheers fellas

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

You'd have to trade Hanley and Goodes out, especially the latter. And Hanley comes in halfway through the finals, so that's useless. I'd go double trade to Heppell and maybe Scott Thompson from the Kangas? I can help more if you tell me the amount of trades and cash you have left.

• shane says:

Cheers mate. yeah forgot to add, 4 trades and 280k in the kitty. thinking of that heppell, and maybe swing staker to defence and bring in cox? or what you think boys?

34. Rene says:

Defenders: B.Goddard, D.Heppell, H.Hartlett, H.Shaw, B.Gibbs, B.Goodes, D.Terlich, J.Webster

Midfielders: G.Ablett, S.Pendlebury, D.Swan, M.Barlow, M.Priddis, D.Mundy, N.Fyfe, T.Mitchell, L.Shuey, K.Martin

Rucks: D.Cox, T.Nicholls, M.Blicavs, D.Currie

Forwards: J.Bartel, J.Roughead, T.Rockliff, J.Kennedy, S.Johnson, B.Staker, D.Zorko, J.Daniher

2 trades left and $201,600 in the war chest. What trades should I make or hold?

• Rocksta says:

Goodes out, Staker to defence and bring in Walker.
      As Mitchell is doing so well, you can wait on Shuey until you get stuck in the mids if any injuries arise.

35. luke says:

Hi Jock and community,
    My current team prior to round 18 looks like this:

Trades Left: 4 || Remaining Salary Cap: $48, 200

Defense:
    Goddard, Heppell, Gibbs, Shaw, Hartlett, Hanley (Clisby, Frost)

Midfield:
    Ablett, Pendlebury, Swan, Dangerfield, Selwood, Fyfe, Cotchin, Priddis (Mitchell, Hrovat)

Ruck:
    Minson, Nicholls (Mcbean, Currie)

Forward:
    Bartel, Cox, Rockliff, Kennedy, Martin, Franklin (Staker, Daniher)

My team is finally full premium and still have 4 trades in the bag. I was planning on saving them for the finals (assuming no injuries or suspensions would pop up before that), but I was terribly wrong. Franklin hasnt played in the last couple of weeks, and dont see him playing any time soon. I was ok with that because of Stakers terrible performance who was able to cover for Franklins absence, but hearing about Bartels 1 week suspension told me I needed to make a trade this week. Seeing as Franklin hasnt performed well at all this season, and is leaking in cash, I have decided to do a side ways swap with him to Andrew Walker, using my extra cash. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions concerning my team?

• @joe_ken1 says:

Are you proposing to cover Hanley with Clisby? Hope not. I have heard Franklin is a probable starter this week, if so, you may need to look at either sideways Hanley or upgrading Clisby to a better D7..

• luke says:

I dont have much cash, so if Franklin does play, I will probably sideways trade Hanley to someone like Ibbotson. If franklin isnt playing, what do i do then?

36. nick says:

hay jock got a question for you hanley is out now for 4 weeks would bringing scott d Thompson in for him be a good move or a risk he has a few easy games coming up so should get a few massive scores I hope and also I traded delido for stevie j good trades or not

• CHRIS says:

enright

• @joe_ken1 says:

Read a decent write up recently on Scotty Thomo – he has Geelong, Essendon, Hawthorn and Collingwood in his final 6 games – meaning he will be playing a lock-down role on Hawkins, Hurley, Buddy and Cloke in each of those games = less chance to rack up cheap marks etc.

37. Matt says:

I have 2 trades left and have to get rid of Brett Goodes, who would you suggest, I have 495k to spend and my defenders consist of Goddard, Gibbs, S Thompson, Staker, Mckenzie and Goodes (Clisby and Thurlow)

38. medadsson says:

For pure consistency Corey Enright. Strategy wise perhaps Adcock may increase output as running half back with Hanley out of the side. That would give you some change too.

39. BestCoastEagles says:

Posting this once is to many, this is the second time in ten minutes i have come across this. Show some respect for the great man JOCK as you are on his site. What you are doing is using JOCK great site to peddle good of the same ilk. What you are promoting is the same horse but a different jockey (Pardon the pun) I am sure your promotion can be done in a more respectful and meaningful way.

40. willeeftoo! says:

Like your though Jock but to bloody risky! Its not the time of year to be taking those huge risks, because once there done, theres no way out.

41. @Jacko2128 says:

Team is as follows-

Backs
    Goddard, heppel, hartlett, gibbs, mckenzie, staker. Duffield, clisby

Mids
    Ablett, Pendles, JPK, barlow, cotchin, mundy, t.mitchell, crouch. Danger, Shuey.

Rucks
    Jacobs, Nicholls. Rowe, Currie

Forwards
    Roughy, rockliff, JJK, zorko, franklin, steve J. Mayes, b. kennedy

With 6 trades left, 83K and 4th posi in my league (next 2 games are winnable) was thinking either:
    1. Hold until finals start,
    OR
    2. Trade shuey now to murphy/K Jack/montagna
    OR
    3. Trade down duffield/rowe/zorko now or next round to get Griffin in for shuey?

Feedback is appreciated.

42. Wazza says:

Picking up Marc Murphy still 8 trades left!