Jock Reynolds Fantasy Footy Podcast – Round 18

Filed in Supercoach, Weekly Podcast by on July 21, 2013 • views: 1189

Brett Goodes OUTBefore you listen into Crouching, Higgo and I dissect round 18 trade options I think its fitting to pay our respects to the man they call Brett Goodes.

Yes. We’re frustrated that he has gone and broken his arm in several places. This is a great inconvenience for many who still have him down back and when the dust settles we might quietly suggest to young Brett a more robust regime of bone strengthening through a more dedicated commitment to calcium.

But we must acknowledge what a fine maiden season of fantasy football Brett has produced. Raise your bat on the way to the sidelines son. A fine innings indeed.

There are a few forks in the road this week folks. We have the question around Brett Goodes and his replacement to deal with and this is an interesting discussion. Plenty of options. We also see Nic Nat flailing and clearly struggling away. What do we do with him?

Go ahead community and SUBSCRIBE ON iTUNES – but above all else enjoy the podcast and see you in the comments.

** HUGE COMMUNITY BULLETIN: Mick The Mad Irishman is now ranked EIGHTH overall in Supercoach. You little ripper Micky!!!**

1. Will says:

Do think it is worth using a trade to drop hartlett or Monfries and get someone in good form like Henderson or J.Lewis. I can afford anyone up to 471,000. Just wondering about everyone's opinion.

Also what do you think about playing staker over monfries.

• Will says:

I just looked into it a bit further and Alex rance is looking like an alright defence POD. 147 today against Freo. Averaging 105 in his last 5

• SCannonymous says:

Staker is probably of greatest value in the backs. Do you have some fat you can trim in the backs who you can turn into a cheap swapper? That would give you cash to turn Monfries into anyone you want. (StevieJ, Lewis or Rockliff)

2. Osh says:

Who should I get in for Goodes: At the moment I have Goddard, Heppell, Gibbs, Duffield, H.Shaw, Clisby, Pittard and obviously Goodes. I have only about 30k left in the bank? What do I do!?!?!?!

• Will says:

Can you get hanley

• Osh says:

Yeah I can but ill have about 1 or 2k left should I still do it or should I get Trent Mckenzie or Garrick Ibottson?

• Will says:

Hanley is probably the best option but if you need to make any more upgrades then the other 2 are fine

• Adam V says:

McKenzie

• SCannonymous says:

If you can get Hanley that would be a nice upgrade, but it depends on the rest of your team. Backs can have such a big standard deviation. Perhaps it is better to consider putting Pittard into your starting line up if he has turned a corner after returning from injury and taking the cash from Goodes to inject in the mids or forwards?

3. crabby says:

Trading out Goodes and switching staker back, best option under 470k forward line?

4. Matt says:

i've reached my breaking point. zorko has burnt me time and time again. 81 against the dees means hes gotta go. even with the run brisbane has coming up

• Osh says:

Yeah way to inconsistent I mean at his best he good but that hasn't happened all year. I traded him out two weeks ago for jimmy Bartel.

• Ryan says:

I've got him and Breust (was good POD at start) and ive decided to get rid of bresut instead

• SCaddict says:

Yeah I was surprised to see that 15% of coaches still hold him the poor bastards. Think I ditched him around week 3.

Who do you plan to bring in for him?

5. Sam says:

I can afford any MID, already have GAJ, Pendles, Swan, Mundy, Fyfe, JPK and Joel Selwood. Im thinking Griffen, Barlow, Beams or Stevie J. Thoughts?

6. Tim says:

What are the thoughts on greg broughton in for goodes?

• Hardest says:

I'm thinking the same mate. Only 3 trades left and 50/50 chance of making my leagues top 8. Risky, but I need to pull out something ballsy / stupid to make finals. FWD/DEF as well, handy if you have Staker in the forward line….

• jockreynolds says:

Nice one Tim – just posted a poll on this topic for you mate ;)

7. john says:

thoughs on daniel?

8. Charlie says:

Should I trade out Ryder and put in simpson and then get barlow or trade out mayne and put in Dell'Olio and then get Swan??

9. David says:

Ok Jock, need some advice, got five trades left looking to go Watson and T.Mitchell to Barlow and Griffen, i'm aware that their breakevens are high and Mitchell's is still very achievable but if i trade these two in I have a complete team with 20K and 3 trades left? what do you think?

10. Rocksta says:

Hi All.
    The only non premium I have in my team is Brent Staker ( assuming Watson gets back whom I've currently got sitting on my bench).
    As I only have 2 trades left which I want to keep for finals ( guaranteed top 4 in both my leagues), I'm seriously considering him as a D6 keeper.
    He has just been getting better after return from injury and quite frankly is a very good footballer.
    Thoughts?
    NB. With Watson and Franklin on the bench over the past 2 weeks, I've been generating scores of mid 2400's.

• Rick Grimes says:

Yea I think I might use Staker as D6. In same position that I'll be top 4 regardless, so might just sit on him until then. But can't see his scoring dropping much.

11. alex says:

goodes> mckenzie
    4 trades left, with 345,000what should i do?
    jacobs>goldstein
    or
    lecras/zorko>johnson
    or
    trade watson to another premium mid (currently have tom mitchell as replacement)

12. throttlefinger says:

Hey Jock –

Made classic rookie move and used my last two trades for sideways moves. Sad part is that I would've won if I traded (and I overslept and missed doing the loop on Gazza… I'm on NYC time). Goodes in my lineup so…lesson(s) learned

My season is over but wanted to thank you, Higgo, Crouching, Mick, Mr. C and your community for all the help throughout the year. Made the season more fun. And made my appreciation of footy even greater.

Until next season…

13. ShinbonerSpirit says:

Hey community! What should my final midfield upgrade be? Watson to Barlow or Dangerfield to Griffen? (A couple of grand short of Watson to Griff)

14. Remy says:

Trade this week: Goodes~R. Henderson
    Good trade?

• Remy says:

Or what about this trade community….
      Goodes~ Duff Man
      Priddis~ J. Steven (big risk, but I really need a win this week and my opponent has a near identical team to me)
      Thoughts, other options?

• pieofgod says:

if youve got the trades and no rookies holes to clog then priddis trade isnt ridiculous…he keeps getting the high disposals but not the Sc scores. did you mean L.henderson in your first cos i'd look at that for value given Carlton's requirement to come home strong…and him being in ripper form

15. Rick Grimes says:

Limited trades left, trying to work out best strategy.

If I switch Staker to D6 (replacing Burgoyne), I can upgrade O'Meara and T Mitchell to Griffen and Selwood respectively.

If I keep Staker as my forward reserve, I can upgrade Burgoyne to Hanley / Shaw, and upgrade one of O'Meara / Mitchell to Griffen / Selwood. I couldn't do both.

I'm leaning towards option 1 as I imagine the return will be greater. Only thing is it will leave me without a decent forward reserve.

• Super_Freak says:

Option 1 looks like a good trade. Staker should keep up consistent scores for remainder of season

• SCannonymous says:

Grimesy,
      I'd go with option 1. Staker's best value is in the backs, plus it give you a double midfield upgrade (that's where you need your money). Deal with the forward bench issue, if and when you come to it. You've got to be bold to succeed in this game. Good Luck.

16. Tony says:

I'm leaning towards Hibberd as a replacement for Goodes. Other possibilities are Lachie Henderson (dual position tempting) or Jack Grimes to get some more cash. Crucial decision in the context of the season, so tell me if I'm doing it wrong.

17. Rick Grimes says:

Shannon Brynes could be a roughie for anyone needing a cheap forward reserve. Can see him scoring 80 odd most weeks.

18. The orginal burn man says:

What about Greg Bloody Broughton? Finding form and dream run for the Suns, how big are your nuts?

19. Rick Grimes says:

Interested to hear who people rate as their best and worst trades this year.

Outside the obvious, I reckon my best trade has been Hutchings of West Coast. Picked him up as part of a downgrade and really didn't expect to use him in any capacity. But he's come into my 22 a couple of times and racked up solid 100s. Will now get an unexpected upgrade to a premium out of him.

Worst trade would have to Birchall. Got him at the very top price and he went on free-falled from there on. Probably lost a good $200k on him.

• Charlie says:

My worst was Gibbs out when he was injures and Birchal in when he was around 550K

• jockreynolds says:

Worst was Mitch Robinson. Never rated the bloke as a supercoach option… goes to show even the finest fantasy footballers in the nation slip up

• The Old Dylan says:

I did the exact same move with Birchall. My other blunder was opting for Jacobs over goldstein at the start of the year

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

I can't split between two. I brought Birchall in for Round 13 to 'ease my problems' at what I believed to be an irresistible 420k using Terlich. The latter went on to post consecutive tons and Birchall gave me 40 points and a long-term injury. The only positive was that he rose in price, which cannot be said for my next trade.

The second is Boyd to Watson, who rewarded me with loss of about 25k, 24 points and another injury.

On a brighter note, my best trade has either been bringing Walker in early, or perhaps JOM to Swan when the latter was at 520k (cost me about 80k, that trade), and Swanny went on to post massive scores for me throughout the bye rounds.

I traded out hanley for birchall and got in westhoff for 2 rounds

• Super_Freak says:

Easy
      Best. Griffen in Round 12 (not early enough)
      Worst. Hartlett in round 6

• SCannonymous says:

I had no intention to, but got sucked into Stanton's numbers.

• pieofgod says:

good fun question rick – and venting avenue.

excluding some boomer rookies – that i can thank the community for really.

Best:wines–>selwood and/or shuey–>cotchin at their bargain basements prices, both averaging around 120 since trades.

Worst: sauce (ah…sauce) from the get go and BIrchall at his peak….tags and injuries have since annihilated the talented tasmanian

20. Alan says:

Best including – Picking up Kruezer when he was only $370k, and the obvious ones at bargain prices Josh Kennedy, Nick Vlaustin, Brent Staker. I also pickeup Franklin, Swan and Shaw when they hit rock bottom.
    Worst easily to date is Nic Naitanui picked him up when he was $595k, that has been a disaster.
    Im thinking now might be the good time to set sights on Marc Murphy and Grant Birchall at rock bottom prices, though they must be strong enough to take into finals.

21. hazzy says:

need ur help Jock. in DT got enright hanley ,gibbs, terlich, goodes, and pearce as my D6.. the last four are in very poor form (apart from goodes whos out for the season) out of gibbs terlich and d.pearce which one should go with the injured goodes?

22. Smash says:

Ryan Griffin, Trent Cotchin or Michael Barlow?

• Hazzy says:

my favourite one there is definitely barlow specially cos of his run into the finals… His a must have for me but dot think you could go too wrong with the others also

• Super_Freak says:

Griffen is a SC gun

• pieofgod says:

people (including me) keeping assuming griffen will fade…meanwhile he refuses too. If youve got teh cash – and he's actually reasonably cheap at $600000 odd right now….id look at griffen then barlow then cot chin

23. Xavier says:

i didn't see the Bartel tackle…will he get rubbed out this week?

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Definitely will. He eyes were not on the ball, and he was clearly going for Laird.

24. James says:

Bartel suspended for one game.

25. chandanrajdb says:

Hello Community,

Had a terrible weekend with respect to supercoach……..dropped in overall rankings by 310 ranks…..and currently ranked 816 overall……

3 trades left……

My midfield is not yet complete…….have Dangerfield…..on the bench and have got Blicavs and T Mitchell on field……

My Team currently……..

DEF:
    Goddard. Gibbs, Hartlett, Heppell, H Shaw, G Birchall, B Goodes, D Terlich

MID:
    G Ablett, S Pendlebury, D Swan, M Barlow, JPK, N Fyfe, T Mitchell, M Blicavs, P Dangerfield, K Martin

RUCKS:
    T Goldstein, T Nicholls, Nic Nat, J Hannath

FWD:
    J Bartel, Stevie J, D Cox, T Rockliff, J Roughead, JJK, B Staker, J Daniher…..

thinking of using 2 trades this week…….options below…..

Option – 1:
    OUT: Cox & Dangerfield
    IN: Selwood & Griffen

Next week Out Goodes IN Rioli and will be done with my trades……

Option – 2:
    OUT: Goodes & Naitanui
    IN: Hanley & K Jack / T Cotchin…..not sure who to go for…..

Next week OUT Dangerfield IN Griffen / Beams…….not sure who to still…..

Community I am in real need of help…….Please help me with your comments / opinions / suggestions……..

Raj……

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Definitely Option 2. I'd pick Cotchin over Jack. Next week, go for Beamer (if he scores 110+). If you can, get rid of Danger and Goodes this week. Luxury trades can wait.

• Rocksta says:

With only 3 trades left, I would be very careful about sideways trades this far out from the end.
      I reckon you go Goodes to Hanley this week and that's all. Terlich is good cover for Birchall.
      By all reports, Danger will probably be back next week and thus keep your 2 trades to replace any underperformer later in the season ( or upgrade Mitchell in the case that he goes off the boil)

• Rocksta says:

Sorry Raj, didn't realise you haven't got Goodes as a starter.
      If you must, turn Goodes into Hanley, but even then it is just Hanleys score VS Terlich's score.
      Id wait on Danger to see if he comes up next week or you can then trade him for Barlow ( whom has a high BE), or Beamer if you can afford him.

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Barlow's B/E of 129 is achievable.

• chandanrajdb says:

I have got Barlow in my team…..

cheers,
        Raj…..

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Well then Griffen/Beams it is! Griffen has a B/E of 140 according the FW, but that should be a cinch for him! So don't expect him to drop by much.

• chandanrajdb says:

Thanks mate…..

Ok…..My trades will be,

OUT: Dangerfield & Goodes
            IN: Griffen / Beams & Hanley……I am not sure between Griffen and Beams yet…..who do I choose…..this week……

Next week or in a couple of weeks T Mitchell / M Bicavs will become Rioli…….and I will be done with the trades for this season…….

What do you guys think?????

Cheers,
            Raj….

• Tylo says:

Hi Raj

Blic in your midfield seems to be your main weakness. Think you need to trade him or NicNat up to Griffen or Selwood.

If your short of cash look at Goodes to Oxley. Obviously Goodes has to go eventually and Terlich is already there to provide cover. Oxley gives you the ability to use Staker forward or back which could be useful considering you're gonna be short on trades.

Trading Danger out is crazy.

26. Nick says:

Hey Jock,
    Should i get rid of Deledio? He's been in some pretty average form lately, averaging 83 in his last 5 with only one score over 100…
    Also, what's the word on Nic Nat and how many trades should i keep in the bank for finals?

• pieofgod says:

from memory jock was pointing towards 6-8 trades for finals….it seems to me that most of the community,that are vocal on the blog channel anyway, have less than that….1-4 would be my guess at an average. if you can hold off at this point you probly should. but that depends on whether your sneaking into the 8 or or top four or not.

again if you've got the trades and the cash: nicnat is rumoured to be carrying a nasty bout of ostitis pubis…if this is true its hard to see returning to the dizzying heights of a top 2 SC forward. As for deledio id turn him into whatever you could get for the dollars but thats just my gut….no apparent reason he couldnt turn it around and bang out 140's again.

27. James says:

Have 1 trade left this round, Should I downgrade Nic Naitanui to Liam McBean or Craig Moller and let Tom Nicholls take R2, or Leave Nic Nat on the hope that his form will turn around?

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

If you have enough trades to be using them like that, I'm pretty sure Nicholls can hold your R2 for the rest of the season. I benched NN for Nicholls last week, and I plan on doing that this week.

• James says:

I will have 6 after this trade and around $470,000 in the bank.

Thanks for the advice mate.

• James says:

I'd go for it. That would give you around 800 k. This means 4 of you're last 5 trades can be huge upgrades. I was in a position like that about 6 weeks ago and it really paid off. I would go to McLean just because of his dpp status.

28. Daniel says:

Hi guys great song crouching one and podcast from the crew. My defence is Goddard, Gibbs, Hanley, mckenzie, goodes, clisby (thurlow, docherty) and my forward is cox, bartel, rockliff, jjk, staker, Mayes (a.black, daniher). I only have two trades left and $391000 in the bank. What do I do? Thanks

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

With only two trades, you don't have too much choice there. I'd go Goodes to Scotty Thompson (Kangas) as a POD (you definitely need one, with the position you're in). I'd play Black ahead of Mayes until the finals. Then reassess and decide on whether to trade out Mayes/Daniher or Thurlow/Docherty.

• pieofgod says:

no matter what you do spend BIG….you dont want anywhere near that money in the chest with no trades left

29. Duke says:

Tops podcast as always.

Here's my problem. Goodes gone, 1 trade left, 900 bucks(terrible) in the bank. Thinking of swinging Staker back into defence, and bringing in Michael Walters from Freo into my forward line. Freo with the soft finals run. Thoughts?

Final team going into finals if I make that trade would be:

Defenders: Goddard, H Taylor, Shaw, Gibbs, McKenzie, Staker, Wright and Thurlow bench(struggling there)

Mid: Ablett, Pendles, Swan, Kennedy, Cotch, Priddis, Mundy, T Mitchell, B Kennedy and K Martin bench (again, strugging there on the bench)

Rucks: Roughy, Nicholls, Hannath and Naismith bench.

Forwards: Bartel, Cox, Kennedy, Cloke, Buddy, Brent Harvey, Michael Walters and J Daniher on the bench

Got some issues with my bench cover, but if my on field guys can perform, I'll hopefully be able to give finals a crack

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

I like your way of thinking, but I'd try Lachie Henderson if you can afford him. If not, then another FWD/DEF, so you can swing with Staker in case of injury. A guy like Ricky Henderson won't give you the same output as more proven players, but that DEF/FWD could be useful with 0 trades.

Just an idea, but your trade looks good too.

30. Jack says:

I have 8 trades left, and 4 blokes in my team who i am not happy with and i feel they may need to go. Naitanui, Buddy Franklin, Shuey and possibly Duffield.

$82,700 in the bank. Who is the 1st priority that i need to trade out???

Help would be much appreciated.

(Also is it ok to trade Nic Nat to McBean from the tigers even if i have dan currie as R4)?

• Rocksta says:

Shuey!
      He is injured and will be out for up to 3 weeks.
      Franklin may play this week and as far as I know, they are persisting with Nic Nat and he may thus improve.
      Wait a couple more weeks on the Duffman as he has just come back from injury.

31. James says:

I wouldn't trade nic nat to McLean if you've got no back up. Very risky if one gets injured

32. Power says:

Have 1 trade left and have brett goodes. I also have 200k in the bank. My question is do I get brett goodes out and leave 130k in my bank or do I upgrade Brad Crouch and get a premium such as dane swan?

• James says:

If you have no backup in the backline then I would say upgrade Goodes in the backline. If you have Terlich or something you could run with him as your last backline player and upgrade Crouch to Swan.

33. mathew says:

1 trade left and it looks like a goodes +20k trade meaning my options im considering are:
    h.taylor
    d.heppel
    hibberd
    l.henderson (dpp could come in handy with staker fwd and in great form although may be bias)

leaning toward either henderson or taylor
    who is the most likely to perform in the run home?

• SMH says:

heppell for sure

• pieofgod says:

id go henderson for the POD…in great form and his team NEEDS him to play well just to make finals….mostly a gut thing but everyones got Heppell and though i love him and have had him all year he does dissapoint some weeks too, GWS last round???? still hurts sa i lost a 5thcs1st battle in my league on the back of his and gibbs poor performances

good luck

34. luke says:

My team is finally full premium and still have 4 trades in the bag. I was planning on saving them for the finals (assuming no injuries or suspensions would pop up before that), but I was terribly wrong. Franklin hasnt played in the last couple of weeks, and dont see him playing any time soon. I was ok with that because of Stakers terrible performance who was able to cover for Franklins absence, but hearing about Bartels 1 week suspension told me I needed to make a trade this week. Seeing as Franklin hasnt performed well at all this season, and is leaking in cash, I have decided to do a side ways swap with him to Andrew Walker, using my extra cash. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

• Rocksta says:

If you have full premium, IMO you can make 1 more trade before finals.
      Buddy to Walker sounds good. Only problem is Buddy is likely to score 150+ on any given day.
      I'm keeping Buddy as he is shaping as a POD with everybody jumping off

• luke says:

If he isnt named this week then I think I should jump off him and onto Walker. Bartel is suspended for 1 week, and may get 2 weeks if he challenges the court and comes out second best. So if both Bartel and Franklin dont play next week, ill definitely be having a doughnut as I only have staker to cover for one of them, while daniher isnt playing. Should I go on with my trade if this is the case?

• Rocksta says:

Yes, as per my response below.

• Rocksta says:

But Luke,
          I agree with Dan below that it really depends on your circumstance.
          If you really need the league win or are high up in the overall, then definitely yes.
          If not, better to hold as Franklin is liable to make you pay come SC finals.

35. Tazo's Cannons says:

Hey Jock,

Your supreme wisdom and guidance is required in a do or die week of Supercoach to sneak in to the finals of a league in the top 100.

I need 1 forward upgrade for Mcaffer and have been considering Roughhead, Walker or Josh Kennedy. I already have Cox who swings in ruck also, Bartel, Stevie J, Gunston, Rockliff and Martin…

Thanks Jock. Love the Podcast mate. Every time Crouching says Welcome I lose it in laughter!

Good luck to the community in these last two weeks of SC!

36. @Jacko2128 says:

what to do with shuey and duffield? 6 trades left..

37. big fella says:

Still carrying Jacobs, Zorko, Staker, Buddy, Terlich, Goodes…too many rookies/unreliables to take into finals? Sitting on 3rd in my league

38. vpongas says:

Dilemma… Selling Goodes, I have the option to buy ANY PREM Def or Fwd (if Staker swap).

My FINAL trade… Must fill the gap Money is no object ($800k in bank)

Current players.
    DEF: Godd, Hepp, Hart, Terl, Gibb,Staker(if swap to def)
    FWD: Stevie, Dustin, Cox, Cloke, Walker, Bart, Staker (currently fwd)

WHO TO BUY ??
    FWD or DEF ?

• James says:

How Did you end up with 800k? is that a typo. You'll have over 1100k to spend on your last player. If you can't somehow get a mid you'd have to go Rockcliff, Hanley, Shaw or roughie as a rough outside chance. (Pardon the pun)

• Dan says:

Your forward line is perfect. If anything pick up a defender someone like Shaw, Hanley or a point of difference in Enright or Scott Thompson

• vpongas says:

hmmm..

Goodes to Shaw?… Shaw im afraid will be not as large as a potential Fwd

Shaw looks soft lately..

Staker to Defense i was thinking… then buy a FWD like Rock, Westh, Rough, Nick R etc ?

thoughts?

unless you think a DEF can have a better output.

• SCannonymous says:

Take your highest scoring option, probably a forward/mid like J.Lewis.

39. luke says:

Hi Jock and community,
    My current team prior to round 18 looks like this:

Trades Left: 4 || Remaining Salary Cap: $48, 200

Defense:
    Goddard, Heppell, Gibbs, Shaw, Hartlett, Hanley (Clisby, Frost)

Midfield:
    Ablett, Pendlebury, Swan, Dangerfield, Selwood, Fyfe, Cotchin, Priddis (Mitchell, Hrovat)

Ruck:
    Minson, Nicholls (Mcbean, Currie)

Forward:
    Bartel, Cox, Rockliff, Kennedy, Martin, Franklin (Staker, Daniher)

My team is finally full premium and still have 4 trades in the bag. I was planning on saving them for the finals (assuming no injuries or suspensions would pop up before that), but I was terribly wrong. Franklin hasnt played in the last couple of weeks, and dont see him playing any time soon. I was ok with that because of Stakers terrible performance who was able to cover for Franklins absence, but hearing about Bartels 1 week suspension told me I needed to make a trade this week. Seeing as Franklin hasnt performed well at all this season, and is leaking in cash, I have decided to do a side ways swap with him to Andrew Walker, using my extra cash. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions concerning my team?

• Dan says:

Good looking team mate, just really depends on the circumstances. If you're well entrenched in the top 8 just conserve your trades, plus franklin may come back for the big clash against the bombers. If you're not in the top 8 and you're sitting 1 game shy you may have to make the trade.

• luke says:

Thanks so much for that! I am 1st and 3rd in both my leagues and will almost certainly end up in the top 4 in both leagues. That is not a concern for me at the moment, but my total points scored and average points scored per round is what Im more committed to achieving. If franklin does get named this round, or if Bartel challenges his suspension and succeeds then I will most likely conserve my trade, as I have Staker to cover for either Bartel or Franklin, but if both dont play this week then I think I will go on with my trade of Franklin to Walker, only because I want to score maximum points and have a high average score per round at the end of the season. And I know for sure having a doughnut this week will affect that.

• Rocksta says:

Your team looks good to me.
      IMO, Wait to see if Franklin plays ( he's a chance) and if so, hold.
      If not, Franklin to Walker sounds good. Walker has been ultra consistent, with some great scores as well.
      3 Trades going into finals still okay.

• vpongas says:

Id lose Franklin.. The team doesnt seem to fancy him as much this yr..

Get yourself a Gun like Stevie J or Walker as Carl have an excellent run from here on.

40. Glenn says:

Gday Community,

Team looking good for a crack at league premiership, with only 2 weak links on the field being Jack Reiwoldt forward and Tom Mitchellson mid, both on field. 5 trades left, 330k in the bank. What to do? Injury and suspension free this week but have seen what sort of carnage can await if the cards don't fall your way… Here is team:

Goddard, Shaw, Heppell, Hanley, Taylor, Gibbs (L.Brown, Saunders)
    Ablett, Pendles, Swan, Selwood, Jack, Cotchin, Fyfe, Mitchellson (Crouch, Colquoun)
    McEvoy, Maric (Nicholls, Currie)
    Cox, Roughead, Martin, Rockliff, JJ Kennedy, J.Reiwoldt (Lee, Daniher)

Who is the biggest priority to get out, and for who, or should I hold? In a tight top eight and tough teams to finish the home and away…….

• Rocksta says:

IMO, Reiwoldt to Stevie J , or Walker if you want to keep some more money up your sleeve for further upgrades come finals.
      4 trades going into finals still good .

• SCannonymous says:

I'd have thought StevieJ in the forward line is a must. Depending on trades left, Murphy to Mitchell might be a way of keeping some cash for more trades or otherwise consider Mitchell to a Freo player like Mundy, or Barlow. Good Luck.

41. Rocksta says:

There was a report in a Brisbane Paper a week ago that Jobe Watson is only a couple of weeks away.
    It said a possible Rd 19 return against Collingwood ( which is the Sunday Game).
    Has anybody heard anything along similar lines?
    I hope this is right as I have kept him on the bench and he would be a great POD come SC finals ( most people have ditched him)

• ShinbonerSpirit says:

Wow! I hope so! The Essendon site says that he's in full non-contact training right now.

42. James says:

richard tambling as pod? only 200,000

43. James says:

i have 2 trades left, i have b. goodes, nic nat. and p. danger and buddy. what to do jock? need your advice champ

• SCannonymous says:

Nic Nat is at least playing and can't go any worse than he is – sit.
      Buddy should return – sit.
      So I propose trading Danger and Goodes. It depends on whether you have all the big mids or not as to whether give priority to your backs or mids in your trade. I'd consider Ablett, Pendles, Barlow, Selwood and even Cotchin at his price. Otherwise get the best back available, Hanley, Shaw?? and pick up the next best mid with the cash left, Hanneberry?

• James says:

I have ablett, pendles, barlow, selwood, cotch, fyfe in the midfield. plus mitchael and k. martin

definetly agree with not trading out the out of form players.. get rid of goodes maybe. just hearing hanley is out … would have been my next in what do you think?

• Gilly says:

With 2 trades left if you can hold Danger he will be back at some stage. Buddy should come back and at least nic nat is playing at the moment.

Goodes is gone for season so he would be my first trade if you need cover. Keep in mind the bulldogs have a lot of sunday games coming up so he might be a useful captains loophole if you have the cover.

All depends on your cover and how you are sitting in your league's.

• james says:

Yeh agreed gilly! i have clisby and thurlow on the beach but i dont want them on the ground coming finals. what are ur thoughts

44. John says:

how much money do you need to donate to get into the donnes league ? i admire your work jock

45. SCannonymous says:

Project for Higgo:
    Create a Hall of Fame and Legends site with criteria like top 100 SC finish, Sponsor League highest scoring premiership win, blog contributions etc.
    Project for Jock:
    Podcast episode where Crouchings brings in his slipper and its magic temporarily swaps each of your personalities around, Jock becomes Higgo, Higgo to Crouching …

• jockreynolds says:

WOW. WOOOOWWWWWWW. I like the ideas SCannon. We might need to discuss this in the inner sanctum morningly meeting.

• SCannonymous says:

Jock – I loved the Weekend at Bernie's reference to Charlie Dixon a couple of weeks ago, nearly wet myself. _I'm part of a pretty dedicated SC league with members from work and this year we've talked JR as much as SC – keep up the infotainment.

46. Mr X says:

Hello community,

I still have Jobe Watson on my bench hoping that he would come back for finals but looks like that isn't going to happen as he is still listed as 6 weeks away. I can afford Keiren Jack or is it worth going the cheaper option in Marc Murphy at only 383k?

Would love your thoughts

• Dools says:

G’day Mr X
      I think Marc Murphy would be a huge POD but a punt on a say 40/60 chance of playing like last year….
      K. Jack is performing so for me… No Brainer especially at this late stage of SC

Good luck with your team, mate

• jockreynolds says:

Gday there X – I'd forget Murph – no doubt he is ripping value for money but he wont come home averaging around 120 odd for the rest of the season.

Go for top shelf mate ;)

• Rocksta says:

Don't know what's going on with Jobe!
      If you google Jobe Watson injury, their was an article in a Brisbane paper 1 week ago suggesting that he could be back as early as Rd 19, and thus by default Rd 20.
      But your right, the SC website says Rd 23. Ive still got him myself and am holding him because if he does get back in Rd 20, ironically he will be a POD as most people have jumped off.
      I must say though, if there isn't any surety come late next week about his anticipated return, I will be turning Jobe into Barlow or K. Jack ( a great POD and in supreme form)

47. Dools says:

Hey Jock and Co.

What a bloody riot your Podcast was. Had a few big belly laughs and tears of joy at the return of the Kung Fu “Slipper of Wisdom”.

Goodes may become Hibberd this week for me but I don’t need to trade so I may hold.

Pts this week go to

3 Pts Crouching Tiger – The skin mag finding of the slipper

2 Pts Jock – For letting Tiger sing about “Smelly Pigs”

1 Pt Wayno – Swans drawings/ Tatoo

Peter ya gota lift son – Nice win in Div 1 though

• jockreynolds says:

Good to hear from you Dools! Glad you enjoyed the show mate – yes its a real balancing act .. have to let the Crouching One off the chain at times so he can get it out of his system. Have seen a few suggest Hibberd – I have a concern about how hard he'll hit this line this season – has shouldered a big burden this season.

• Dools says:

Ya agreed mate but he may have to continue to fill the defensive gaps exposed by Heppell and Goddamed going forwrd and coming unstuck on the sling shot back into Dons Def 50.
        Also liked waynos tip.

48. Rocksta says:

Hi Jock.

Have you heard anything about Watson and his likely return?

Is it time to jump off?

49. James says:

Pearce Hanley out two to four weeks with a broken hand.

50. Camo says:

Is it to risky having Pendles, Swan and Beams ???

Need a point of difference this round, , Cash is not an issue.

Thoughts….

51. ShinbonerSpirit says:

Pearce Hanley hand fracture! Out for 2-4.

52. Premier Pie says:

What to do with Hanley? What is it's 4 weeks??

53. Rocksta says:

Pearce Hanley is having an operation on Tuesday. As such I ask, how can it only be 2 weeks?
    Can the carnage possibly get any worse?

54. Jon says:

G'Day guys. Trading Hanley and Naitanui this week.
    I've got 2 trading possibilities.
    1. Ibbotson and Cloke/ Rioli (not sure who to choose)
    2. Gibbs and Riewoldt/ Martin/ Rioli (not sure who to choose)
    All advice will be greatly appreciated!!

• James says:

I'd go 2 but wait for. Gibbs to drop a bit in the next few weeksand more importantly see if he regains form if you can.
      Also look at Rockcliff, Stevie In the forward line if you can or even kreuzer if you can free up a ruck spot.

• Jon says:

I already have rockliff, stevie j and kreuzer. Who should i go with out of riewoldt, martin and cyril?

• Gilly says:

Martin for me if you need to do it now. Cyril needs a few more weeks to gain match fitness, mainly playing as a forward cant see him getting huge scores atm.

PS I am a hawks fan and have a man crush on Cyril so it hurts to recommend Martin!

55. James says:

is shuey to murphy a good trade?

• pieofgod says:

i believe jock n co would say yes….im had murph already this year only to ship him out for watson very early on – bad sideways behaviour, im not sold on him. If you could afford more id look elsewhere…if not he does have a great history of great scores…and they will be pushing hard for finals. My only concern is Malthouse has him in a more defence role out of the middle this year

56. Billy says:

Hello Community,

I only have one trade left and want to get out Brett Goodes. Looking to bring in either Trent Mackenzie, Scott D Thompson or Corey Enright. Not sure on who to choose.
    Any advice would great.

Thanks.

57. Jeremy says:

G'day community.

Due to an injury-ravaged season, I'm down to two trades… And the diabolical side of me is telling me to use BOTH of them this week.

I propose:
    In: Stevie J, McBean
    Out: Spuddy Franklin, Witts.

It sounds crazy, but hear me out. An injury to 1-2 forward/ruck/midfielders can be covered by Staker or T Mitchell (Solid performers in their own right), as i have a fwd/mid, ruck/fwd, and even a def/mid swing.

Team would finish as:
    Def: Shaw, Goddard (MID) , Heppell (MID), McKenzie, Gibbs (MID), Terlich (confident in him averaging enough to keep him) (Webster, Frost)

Mid: Ablett, Pendlebury, Stevie J (FWD), Swan, Selwood, JP Kennedy, Deledio, Priddis (T Mitchell, Saunders (DEF) )

Ruck: Minson, Cox (McBean (FWD), Currie)

Forward: Walker (MID), Bartel (MID), Martin (FWD), JJ Kennedy, Rockliff, (MID) Naitanui (RUCK) (Staker (DEF), Paparone (MID) )

Am i completely losing my mind? Sitting around the 3000 mark overall.

Alternative options are:
    Buddy/Nic Nat to Fyfe, Swallow, N Riewoldt
    Stand pat

• John says:

I am thinking along similar lines with my last two trades but don't have the swing sets in place that I would have liked. Thing that keeps bugging me is last year I ended up using all trades before finals and it cost me but NicNat has to go so I am probably going to go NicNat to Rockliff in the forward line and save one emergency trade for finals.

• James says:

Hold buddy, you'd expect him back at least in 2. But if your struggling for a finals birth and buddy isn't named and you think you'll loose without the trade do it.

• Jeremy says:

Yeah you're probably right, and im first in 3 of my leagues, and 4th in the other, so the trade probably isn't worth doing.

Probably going to trade Nic Nat for Fyfe though

58. Jacko28 says:

Shuey to murphy? Yay or nay?

59. luke says:

Hi Jock and community,
    My current team prior to round 18 looks like this:

Trades Left: 4 || Remaining Salary Cap: $48, 200

Defense:
    Goddard, Heppell, Gibbs, Shaw, Hartlett, Hanley (Clisby, Frost)

Midfield:

Ruck:
    Minson, Nicholls (Mcbean, Currie)

Forward:
    Bartel, Cox, Rockliff, Kennedy, Martin, Franklin (Staker, Daniher)

Cheers in advance,
    luke

• Walto says:

What are you going to do with Hanley? hand surgery will miss 2-4 weeks,
      I'm in the same position with Hanley , have Clisby and Docherty as subs with 1 trade , I might keep my faith on Clisby and keep Hanley on the bench.
      Bartel is only missing a week dude so i'd put Staker on for him and swap Franklin if his not playing for Walker .

• SCannonymous says:

Walto's advice has some merit. You might also consider trading Hanley for a cheap forward back swapper. Send Staker to the backline where his recent scores make him a very good back to have, and turn Franklin into Stevie J? This strategy will trim some fat from the bench and at the same time send Staker into the backline, while picking up the top scoring forward. Good Luck with your decision.

• pieofgod says:

any advice depends on your goal from here on out…if you want the league victory or the overall points ranking???
        given you've held trades reasonably well im gonna presume your after the league win.
        In which case id bench bartel for just the week (certainly no trade here as he's been too consistent, excluding the last 2 rounds). Start clisby (whilst crossing fingers, season high of 76 or something last round though)…
        and yeha id do the buddy to stevie j if youve the dollars otherwise walker.

60. SCannonymous says:

I'm SCannonymous and I have a problem.
    Apart from lacking trading restraint, to win my league it seems I will have to monitor late withdrawals and shuffle emergencies during the weekend. I don't know if I can commit to this (family commitments etc). Having been SC dedicated for many years, I'm wondering if the game has gone past me. Any advice or inspiration from the community would be greatly appreciated.

• pieofgod says:

mostly commiserations mate. Im in same boat….trade happy is a dangerous game to play – not matter how many times you tell yourself injuries wont happen to me ——BAM!!!! carnage. and ive lost points on family/life distractions many times this year too.
      I reckon the inspiration lies in the fact the finals are just 2 weeks away. so any trades you have held onto you can pat yourself on the back for….and celebrate with a fury of trades in a fortnights time…..in my case that fury = x1 remaining…with danger n hanley on the bench…..come on modern medicine!!!!

that help? maybe not….but at least you can spread your grief across the majority of the community…SC = tough gig

• Jay says:

Yeh, I'm with ya mate!!! This has been my main complain with the new changes to SC this year and the Rolling Lockout – it doesn't help!! I like the full lockout system – maybe the occasional Rolling Lockout due to Thu night or Mon games!!

I like the more trades, which has really come in handy with injuries & suspensions this year, but Rolling Lockout has given some unfair advantage to people who can access SC at all times over the weekend (or those who dont have family commitments over the weekend)

As pieofgod says – finals are 2 weeks away. Its been a long season, dont give it away this close to the end!! Finals are almost upon us!!

• SCannonymous says:

Thanks Jay, I would love the option of nominating my league as a Friday lockout, nearly everyone in our league agrees it would help achieve a better SC / family balance. Nontheless I will stick at it and reassess in the off season.
        Thanks for the encouragement Jay and Pieofgod – good luck with finals.

61. james says:

Defs: goddard, heppel, shaw, gibbs, goodes, mckenise. thulow and clisby
    Mid: ablett, swan, pendles, selwood, dangerfield, barlow, cotchin, fyfe. mitchell and k martin
    Rucks: niccols and jacobs. mcbean and rowe
    forwards: bartel, martin, roughhead, rockliff, franklin, nic nat, staker, lee

2 trades left for the seasn, 143,000 in the bank
    goodes, danger, bartel, franklin, nic nat… WHAT TO DO!? thoughts please need help.!

• Jay says:

Considering that Franklin should be back this week & Bartel will be back next week. I would probably hold those 2…..but seeing you've only got 2 trades, I would definitely look to trade out Goodes for say Scott D Thompson/Enright or if you are looking for a nice PoD – maybe someone like a Bob Murphy/Harry Taylor

I would probably like to keep 1 trade up your sleeve for start of finals!

If you're struggling however in your leagues to make the finals, then I would suggest to get rid of Nic Nat for a Stevie J or Walker – otherwise hold fire on that last trade…

62. Jay says:

Wow!! Thought we have had enough carnage already this year, but it just gets worse now!! Both Hanley and Goodes with busted hands/arms. Bartel out suspended, Dangerfield out injured and Big Cox playing like a Rookie!!

My Team:
    BAC: Goddard, Gibbs, Hanley, Heppell, McKenzie, Goodes (Clisby, Webster)
    MID: Ablett, Pendles, Selwood, JPK, Mundy, Fyfe, Priddis, Mitchell (Dangerfield, Martin)
    RUC: Leuenberger, Nicolls (Blicavs, Rowe)
    FWD: Walker, Bartel, Martin, Johnson, Rockliff, JJK, (Cox, Staker)

With only 2 trades…..Have 2 options:
    1) Direct swap of Goodes with Shaw/Enright, put Clisby on the field to cover for Hanley
    2) Do both trades: Trade Goodes to a dud FWD (Staker DPP), i.e Xavier Richards so can swap Staker back and fwd – upgrade Webster to Shaw/Enright?

Currently considering only 1 trade, want to ideally leave 1 trade in bank to upgrade Priddis to Swan/Barlow come finals

• pieofgod says:

i agree that you've got sit on Hanley n pray for a 2 week turn around on his hand. That may depend heavily on how they go over the next 2 weeks – i.e. if there still a chance to sneak into finals he might reappear sooner then otherwise, i reckon youve gotta keep at least one trade (even thogh the staker swap sounds clever)…and youve gotta get goodes out. id look at goodes to shaw brother

• Jay says:

Cheers mate! I have to keep Hanley & just trust Clisby to pump out some respectable scores, I'd probably take somewhere around 60-70 – considering thats what we've been getting out og Cox lately!!!
        I've made the Goodes->Shaw trade, fingers crossed, no other calamities when teams get named tomorrow!!!

63. Dools says:

Well the SC Gods have their baleful eyes firmly fixed on the KrakenKats1 Goodes Gone Hanley Gone.

In order to appease the SC Gods I have taken a drastic step. OUT Goodes. ( Thank you faithful servent. ) In (I did the Shaw swap but I just had to reverse trade… It didn’t feel right)I tried the the Brendon Goddammed thing but (It was a pact with the same SC Gods not to get him in this season) so reverse trade again…. H. Taylor IN! Yes! this feels right So had a solid look at about 12 players for def swap and the only one who IMO came close to Harry’s potential scores was Shaw.

So hopefuly the SC Gods support Geelong and we can all move on (In a positive direction)

What do you blokes reckon out there?

Would enjoy the feed back / banter

• Don't Argue says:

Two words – Charlie Dixon. Apparently he played in the Reserves on the weekend. I'm not sure if he will be named this week and he is due for a big price drop, however……. on the eve of Supercoach finals, could he be the answer?

• James says:

Yep I've still got him on the pine with staker covering. I have a feeling with their easy run home he could be a huge point of difference in a hit and miss back line.

• Dools says:

Thanks for the input lads I will have a close look at young Charlie and see if he fits in the line up.

Cheers

64. Alan says:

Hi Jock and community. I'm on top of all 3 leagues that I am in, and in the top 5,000 overall, with 8 trades up my sleeve. This week will be tough with a lot of players on the out with injury or suspension. However my bench is very strong and will cover the outs. Mitchell, Staker, Rowe and Vlaustin.
    My question to everyone is would you trade Dangerfield out for Stevie J. Again I have a bench that can cover Patty for another week or two, but just wondering whether now is a good time to jump on Stevie J who will be fresh after suspension then send him into the forward line whilst Bartell, Zorko or Mitchell can fill in for Bartell for a week. Is this a waste of a trade or a good trade. Dangerfield still has a high value and I'm concerned his value might plummet when he comes back after an injury. Cats also have a great run home. Best regards Alan from http://www.inmysportingopinion.com.au

• James says:

If dangers back in 1-2 which they he will be, I don't reckon it's worth it but with those trades. I think those trades may be better of getting rid of those like zorko not a soon returning from a minor injury superstar. Also value doesn't matter if you are going to keep him, which you obviously would be. I would care if I had him and is break even is 200 as long as he gets solid scores which he will.

• SCannonymous says:

Alan, to be in the top 5000, without StevieJ in the forwards and 8 trades left is a great achievement.
      I personally would get StevieJ into the forwards one way or another ASAP. If that means trading out Dangerfield (who is no certainty to return without complications or super big scores), I'd do it.
      With 8 trades you could go Danger to StevieJ, then look to trim some fat from your forward line (Zorko) by buying a cheap forward / mid that you can swap with Stevie J. Then invest that money to make Mitchell the best available mid. But your ranked top 5000, I'm not travelling that well, so I don't reckon you'll come up with a good plan. Good luck.

• Alan says:

Thanks for the replies guys, bloody idea kept me up all night. Thinking of getting a bit more creative now. I might be able to get Stevie J and keep DangerMan. My forward line bench has Staker and Rowe so might just simply be time to cash one in and put another premo up forward. I do have Hanley out this week so maybe even cashing him in for grimes might do the job. Thanks for the comments and keep em coming..

65. Captainsupercoach says:

Promoting a new Fb page called Captainsupercoach. Up to the minute player news,tips, advice, regular Q&A's and all things Supercoach plus loads more please check it out! Also on twitter – CptSupercoach

• BestCoastEagles says:

I find JOCK "THE LEGEND" REYNOLDS sites to be more than adequate to my needs and as a rule of thumb i never bite the hand that feed's. Thanks for the invite Captain but i will be staying put with my loyalties to JR. Go the Brumby !!

66. Mick says:

Hey guys, long time reader, first time poster ..
    Got a backline of Goddard, Heppell, Shaw, Terlich, Goodes, Talia (Clisby and Clarke ridin the pine). Only have 2 trades left, need to get rid of Goodes. I'm looking at Ricky Henderson as being a good cheapish option (BE -6, proj 100+ the next few games), I only have $450k to spend so can't get Thompson etc. Henderson or Hibberd?

• James says:

Henderson probebly, might want to look at Gibbs in a few weeks. Might be worth putting clisby on the ground. Depends on your draw and your place on the ladder.

67. Sam says:

If I go NicNat and Goodes>> Stevie J and Tom Curren, this leaves me with 200k, then with my second last trade Im thinking Tom Mitchell to Griffen next week. Thoughts?

• James says:

Yeah not bad not sure I'd do the Mitchell to Griffen unless you had 4+ trades left. Last few weeks have been very damaging to supercoach teams. Goodes, Hanley,Bartell, franklin, nic nat, danger, Watson . Too many people are chasing an extra 20-30 points here and there when in 3 weeks time they won't have the resources to upgrade an injured player and will be loosing 60+ points a week if you're relying on a rookie bench player. All dependant on trades. Would be trading out fit players unless you have few up your sleeve

68. CloneMan says:

Bloody Hell!!! Hanley to miss 2-4 weeks due to broken hand

69. @Jacko2128 says:

Is it worth trading rowe or ben kennedy to mcbean to free up some cash, leaving me with 4 trades and 300 000K+ for finals? OR downgrade duffield/clisby next week to a 96K defender?

70. Judd says:

Take Deledio over Cotchin they said…
    They score the same they said…..

• Gilly says:

I hear you, trading Delidio in instead of Jelwood about 5 weeks ago has been my worst decision this year.

71. Glenn says:

Hanley out for……

Malceski, enright or bob Murphy?

Mr jock have we ruled out duffield? Significantly cheaper and not a bad d6…. Thoughts?

• Alan says:

Grimes might be an option not to overlook. Cheaper and has a good run home. Has scored well baring injury. Mind you he is extremely in jury prone but a good scorer when he is up and about.

72. Dools says:

Just heard community from source in the WEST- NIC NAT Gone for 4 weeks minimum…

The Hits just keep on coming for us

Dools

73. @Jacko2128 says:

Team is as follows-

Backs
    Goddard, heppel, hartlett, gibbs, mckenzie, staker. Duffield, clisby

Mids
    Ablett, Pendles, JPK, barlow, cotchin, mundy, t.mitchell, crouch. Danger, Shuey.

Rucks
    Jacobs, Nicholls. Rowe, Currie

Forwards
    Roughy, rockliff, JJK, zorko, franklin, steve J. Mayes, b. kennedy

With 6 trades left, 83K and 4th posi in my league (next 2 games are winnable) was thinking either:
    1. Hold until finals start,
    OR
    2. Trade shuey now to murphy/K Jack/montagna
    OR
    3. Trade down duffield/rowe/zorko now or next round to get Griffin in for shuey?

Feedback is appreciated.

74. james says:

If a player doesn't play.. does he lose money?

75. Nick says:

Is it worth getting matt stokes in?

• Jake the Snake says:

I have had him from day dot and always on field.
      While he wont get you the 120 and 130 plus' but he will deliver 90-110 pretty consistently. He's is career best form and great POD as a solid F5 or F6.

76. Jeremy says:

Fyfe in for Nic Nat a decent trade?

Other options include: Jordan Lewis, Patrick Ryder (No thanks), Lachie Henderson, Robbie Gray, Justin Westhoff, Ben McEvoy, Rory Sloane, Kane Cornes, Marc Murphy and Andrew Swallow.

Only problem with bringing in Fyfe or any other mids is that i lose my mid/fwd and ruck/fwd swings…

Thoughts community? Cheers

• keir says:

id go either marc murphy or ben mcevoy in for nic nat over all those name you suggested Fyfe seems to be droppin off a little while marc murphy is startin to pick up some form

77. Reffery says:

Dane Swan as captain or Stevie J as captain?

please help